Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lawyerdudelawyerdude Member Posts: 2
    I think you will have good luck with Pohanka. I had some "interesting" experiences with a few local dealers last week. Then Pohanka e-mailed me on Sunday to say they had a GLS w/nav in stock but I needed to put a deposit on and come get it that day or it would be gone. I asked the price and he told me to go on AAA and get their price and they would honor it. It was $250 below invoice. I went down there and they honored that price, took good care of me and sent me on my way. I would highly recommend them!
  • cfochscfochs Member Posts: 1
    I just got back from the dealership. I was able to get $22,500 before tax title and license on a limited with navigation. It seems like a good deal since many people have had to pay close to the sticker price. I didn't really want the navigation, but there weren't any limiteds without it within reasonable driving distance.
  • pbhattpbhatt Member Posts: 4
    I just got the Silver 2011 Elantra GLS with preferred pkg at $19157 OTD...

$17250 (MSRP was $18495)
    $1207 (7% Tax in NJ)
    $700 (Fees)

$17250 is the lowest I got after searching for 5-6 dealership. Other dealership were not lowering than $17800...
  • hyelantra2011hyelantra2011 Member Posts: 2
    Got a 2011 Hyundai elantra gls with alloy wheels and Bluetooth. Sticker was 18,861.05. Agreed upon value was $17,525. 36 month lease 12k a year. $100.00 down which included tax, tags, doc fee, etching and first payment. $225.86 a month with free oil changes for 3 years. Residual value is $12,196.80. Let me know how I did please.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    you got a great deal considering that down here in south fla i recently looked at the same car and the dealer wanted the full msrp which was $18,480.00..so i left the dealership.maybe i'll come up to new jersey and purchase up there and then take the auto-train back home.lol
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    edited June 2011
    Have you driven one? Or are you just accepting everything you read?

I drove one yesterday, as a matter of fact. Impressed with how it drives? No. It is not a "drivers" car.

I found the materials and build quality to be pretty good. I do like the exterior design, but, I do not like the interior layout.

Back to the drive, I found the engine to be lacking in performance for the power it has. Is 148ph a performance car? No, and I was not expecting it to be, however, it felt slower than it should. The steering feel was lacking and the conering ability was pretty poor, for my standards. Living in New England, our back roads are very twisty and hills and valleys are abundant. This car just does not cut it.

If I were looking for a highway distance commuter vehicle, it would do the trick, but, that's not me.

Again, this is my opinion. For me, it does not meet the requirements for me to purchase one, if I were in the market for a c-class car.

Please don't take this as a poor review, because its not. It's just not a drivers car, and it is apparent is was built to serve other purposes, like fuel economy, style and value.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    In other words, targeting the huge market Toyota targeted successfully for many years, and mucho profits. A much bigger market than exists for "driver's cars". Which may explain why the Elantra is outselling the Mazda3 nearly 2:1 so far this year. It's clear to me Hyundai is going after the volume market vs. the niche markets. The market that thinks a roomy interior, fuel economy, and a smooth ride are more important than crisp handling in the switchbacks, and the nervous/bumpy ride that almost always accompanies it.
  • lcw1lcw1 Member Posts: 36
    Comparing what Hyundai is doing these days to what Toyota did might not be accurate. Toyota had the luxury of competing against bad products like the Ford Pinto,Grand Am and Malibu just to name a few. The Toyota pricing also was not as aggressive as today's Hyundai. Granted Hyundai could be building good cars these days but for dealers to sell at or above MSRP will not be helpful in the long run.
    Check out the prices of the new Accents on cars.com, you would think they are selling hot Potatoes. These are supposed to be low end cars. Currently the economy stinks, the job market is disappointing and housing is in the toilet so prudent buyers might need to wait few months till the 'MUST BUY at any cost' crowd is satisfied. Either the rest of manufacturers will drop prices or Hyundai dealers sales volume comes back to where it should be.
  • sarah_janesarah_jane Member Posts: 5
    I have been visiting, calling, and emailing Hyundai dealerships for about a week now and I keep getting different answers - so I'm hoping someone out there can give me a conclusive answer!

Can anyone tell me for certain if dealerships will not be getting anymore 2011 Elantra GLSs in and can only sell me what they have or I wait for a 2012 to be delivered?

I heard this and could possibly believe it, based on the inventory I've seen around the Atlanta area, but I was also told that I can only get a 2011 Elantra Limited, and that I will not be able to find a 2012 yet.

Basically, I want the Limited and the price for a 2012 is about $250 more than the 2011, so I am willing to wait to get the 2012 Limited, but is my hunt useless at this point?
    Since some dealers already have 2012 Elantras in stock, I have no reason to doubt what your local dealers are telling you.

Some dealers will trade cars with another dealer if that other dealer has the car you want. That might be difficult to arrange given the popularity of the new Elantra... 20k sold just in May! Whouda thunkit...
    With how Hyundai is pricing these cars and offering lots of actual content, compared to Toyota, which in recent years has charged premiun prices for little content, I'm not sure how they are going to have "mucho" profits. Naturally, by increasing sales, you should increase profits, however, I do believe Toyota profits more per car they sell compared to Hyundai.
    edited June 2011
    Did you even read what I wrote? No where did I mention that Hyundai was not seeing increased profits. I said Toyota probably profits more per car since they offer less and charge more than Huyndai. Nothing in that link you posted has to do with what I said.
    My link does substantiate higher profits. You offered nothing to back up your hypothesis--which is flawed because you did not take into account costs:

Profit = Revenue - Costs

Unless you know the cost picture, you don't know the profit picture.

Also in my area, Toyotas e.g. Corolla are selling for MORE than Hyundais e.g. Elantra.

Which sort of gets us back to Prices Paid...
    edited June 2011
    Unless Hyundai has magically found out how to build a car for less that offer more than the competition, it only goes to reason that a compnay like Toyota will profit more from selling a Corolla for the same price, if not for more than a better equipped Hyundai. It's simple economics...

There was never a question of Hyundai generating greater profits. They obviosuly are because their sales are through the roof. But, ask yourself this....what Hyundai offers for $21,000 in the Elantra vs what you get in a Toyota Corolla for $21,000, is it possible Hyundai is making a higher profit on the Elantra than Toyota is no the Corolla? I just don't see how that is possible!!

Kudos goes to Hyundai for offering more for less, but, there has to be a slimmer profit margin per unit sold. It's obvious you can be successul with this philosophy since Hyundai is making oodles of money.
    No one has stated here that Hyundai is making more profit per car on an Elantra than on a Corolla. You asserted that Hyundai's profits per car are lower than those of Toyota. That is what I was asking you to provide some substatiation for. If you can't, fine, we'll chalk it up to your opinion and move on (which it's long past time for).

But here's some facts to demonstrate how Hyundai just might be getting at least as much profit per Elantra than Toyota gets for a Corolla:

2012 Elantra Limited: MSRP $21,205, Invoice $20,344
    2011 Corolla LE w/Premium Pkg: MSRP $20,510, Invoice $18,958

Even though the Elantra is only $695 more MSRP than the Corolla, the Invoice on the Elantra is $1,386 more. And if you've been following this discussion, you've noticed most Hyundai dealers are holding close to MSRP on the 2011/12 Elantra.

This doesn't address manufacturing costs, but consider that the labor for the Elantra is in the ROK and in Alabama, while the labor for the Corolla is in Japan and, in North America, Canada. Do you think the labor costs could be different? Maybe so. Maybe Hyundai has more efficient manufacturing processes (they use their own robots). The costs to make an Elantra could be lower than those to make a Corolla, even though the Elantra has more content. If you find information to the contrary, let us know.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    While this has all been very interesting...

Let's get back to Prices Paid for the Elantra..

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• goosenoosegoosenoose Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2011
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a 2011 Elantra GLS Ltd in a couple of days and qualify for several of the incentives offered on the hyundaiusa page. (Military & New Graduate).

I'm in particular interested in asking about the new graduate incentive (-400 off on top of a -500 military rebate and -500 loyal hyundai customer rebate)... BUT, a dealership i inquired with about this incentive they advised that i could only use it if i financed through them??

So I had two questions about this situation:

a. are they trying to hustle me by requiring that i finance through them?

and b.

can i finance through them (for the first month) and then use the loan i've already approved for (60 mo 2.49 apr) and simply cash them out; effectively working around my having had to 'finance through them' ?
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    College grad: Must finance through Hyundai: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-tools/college-grad-program.aspx

Military: Doesn't mention HMF: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-tools/military-program.aspx (and thanks for your service!)

As to the finance/re-finance deal, there have been posts about people doing that before, though I haven't seen any for some time and IIRC they waited 60 to 90 days before doing the refi. It's possible the rules may have changed.

I suggest you ask for a copy of the finance contract so you can review the terms ahead of time. Also talk with the place offering you the 2.49% and make sure they're willing to do it as a refi. They should be, but it doesn't hurt to verify.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • buyer777buyer777 Member Posts: 70
    Great deal!! Can I ask what dealer in NJ you worked with?
    thanks fushi for the reply.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter is interested in talking with a recent buyer of a new Chevy Cruze or Hyundai Elantra. Please respond to pr@edmunds.com by Friday, June 10, 2011 with a few comments about your vehicle choice.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

2012 Accent GLS is 15165.00 less 500.00 military discount, including New Mexico Tax, title and license fees equals 15365.63 drive out. NM sales tax (3%) ... (no cruise, no blue tooth, or steering wheel controls)

2012 Elantra, automatic, cruise control, (no steering wheel controls, no blue tooth). Price is 18335.00 less 500.00 military discount, including New Mexico tax, title and license fees equals 18654.63 drive out. NM sales tax (3%).

There is a $450 delivery fee to get either of these to me bringing my final totals to...

Accent = 15815.63 final
    Elantra = 19104.63 final

I am ready to start the paperwork ... just wanted to get a roar of approval/disapproval from the forums whether or not I should jump on it.
  • oboewanoboewan Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2011
    It just came in yesterday to Pohanka and I'm hoping to take posession of it tonight! Total ended up being 23 and change OTD using the USAA buyer program. I can't wait! I'll put the specs up soon.... goodbye H and hello H :)
    Now I'll have a Korean car in "Koreatown"
  • oboewanoboewan Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2011
    Yeah! Drove it off the lot last night and into work this morning and getting all kinds of "oohs" and "ahs" from my coworkers :-)

2011 Elantra LTD w/Premium Package, floormats, cargonet, autodim rearview mirror and 11 miles. Black/Gray. I used the USAA car buying service which ended up something like $250 under invoice.

Car: 22253
    Paperwork: 100
    VA Tax: 670.59
    Tags: 54
    Tire recycling: 4
    OTD: 23081.59

Jeff
    $250 under invoice? Considering my local dealer is still charging MSRP, I would say you got a good deal!

How is the price in relation to other sales in your area?
  • matypuppymatypuppy Member Posts: 3
    I wanted to chime in about oboewan's purchase and Pohanka in Fredericksburg. When I saw the posting earlier this week, I asked Pohanka if they would match that deal and they said no. They are charging sticker so you definitely got a great deal!
  • peace5419peace5419 Member Posts: 6
    Congratulations to you! I finally got a car two weeks ago. The price was good, the dealer had just gotten in the 2012 manual transmission elantra and I think they didn't want to get stuck with the manual. I have never leased so I don't know aything about the 'wear and tear'. I am so glad to hear that you stuck to your guns about the tier! And I am sure that they make a certain percentage if you are in a lhigher tier. As I said before this can be such an awful experience and is is compounded now by the shortage of fuel efficient cars due to the Japan catastrophe, the high price of fuel, the low price for Hyundais compared with other cars and their excellent reputations. Good luck with yours. I love mine! It was worth the wait though is was so frustrating. It took amost two months to get the car.
  • peace5419peace5419 Member Posts: 6
    I live in the Baltimore area and purchased a 2012 GLS two weeks ago. I was told that 2012s are coming from Alabama and 2011s will still come from Korea.
  • atothekatothek Member Posts: 3
    How much did you pay? Dealers here in Atlanta are telling me these 2012 Elantras are so rare they are only selling for MSRP.
  • tums33tums33 Member Posts: 4
    My experience: Paid $16,250 before tax/title for 2012 Elantra GLS Manual Transmission w/ Comfort package, mats and cargo net for trunk. LOVE the car. So far mixed driving yields 33mpg. Mixed 65/35 hwy/city. Did I say I'm loving this car? Was that a good deal?
  • atothekatothek Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2011
    Paid $18855 for 2012 GLS A/T with Preferred package, Auto Dimming Mirror, and Carpeted floor mats (before tax and title). All the dealers in town said they were rare right now and I needed a car quickly so all in all I am happy with the deal. Cheaper than a 2011 Civic by $500 to $1000 and I like the car better. The ESC feature absence in the 2011 Civic really killed it for me.
    did you get a good deal?????sounds like you got a steal of a deal to me when you consider that the other poster here got the same car with auto tranny for $18,800.00plus TTT....your price of $16,200.00 is the best iv'e seen so far at a time when most dealers are charging full MSRP for the elantra...you sure that price you got wasn't a typo or something.
    It was not a typo. It was $16,249 give or take five dollars before tags/taxes. I rounded down to save my fingers from moving across the number pad. So far avg. mixed driving yields ~33mpg. Enjoying the car and now thinking that in fact it was a very good deal makes me like it more. Hope it runs well for the next 10 years! 2 tanks of gas into it... great car.
  • stevek3833stevek3833 Member Posts: 1
    tums! Could you share what dealership you got that excellent deal from?
    Central NJ. Brad Benson. Some dislike this dealership but I've had good experiences. Took time to get to the number and a manual trans is hard to find. Those looking for one know. Hang in there... best of luck to all.
    how can you dislike this dealership after the deal you got..most dealers are charging full msrp for the elantra and you got it for 16k and change.amazing deal....
  • willxwillx Member Posts: 1
    Seems high to me, I mean I see peopleon here and other forums paying this price with navigation.. seems like all the dealerships locally brag about the 2.5 day lot times...

I wanted to pay no more than somewhere in the 19s doc fees in flrodia are 300-700$

Stupid honestly.

20084 is best price before fees I've been able to get out of anyone.

Thoughts?
    I love the Brad Benson radio commerials. He is absolutely hysterical.

Hyundai/Kia dealers must get an enormous cut from the manufactureres because dealers like Brad Benson offer $5,000 off most every Hyundai. I see the same for Kia's as well, especially in the NY/NJ area.
  • ralphkazralphkaz Member Posts: 2
    what kind of pricing are you guys getting in the Chicago area? Any recommendations on which dealer to buy from to get the best deal? Thanks!
    i can almost guarantee you that they are not offering a $5,000.00 discount on the new elantra.....if they are i'll purchase 2 from them right now.
    They are offing $5,000 cash back on any new Hyundai purchase. They do say you need to pay "posted dealer price", whatever that means.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    That means all sort of dealer add-ons to jack up the price...

http://www.bradbensonhyundai.com/dealer_specials.aspx

disclaimer from their site:

*Offer cannot be combined with any other offer, either from the dealer, or the the factory. Applicable to new vehicles only and subject to in-stock availability at the time of offer. All programs are based on customer paying dealer posted price. This may result in financing an amount greater than the value of the vehicle. All programs and dealer incentives are excluded for the 2011 EQUUS. See dealer for details.
    edited June 2011
    Hi,

I've been in talks with my dealer and have been able to negotiate a 2012 Elantra GLS (M/T, Comfort Package) for invoice ($16,749) with a couple further incentives (-$1,200 altogether) coming to $15,549 total before TTL.

Should I pounce?

I also have been considering a 2011 Honda Fit Sport (M/T) but the dealers are all selling at about $400 above invoice (~$17,400) and have not been budging. I like them both equally due to their varying strengths, but definitely feel that the Elantra is the winner here.

So... right, probably going out tomorrow morning to sign off on my Elantra.

If anyone has an objections or comments tell me in the next 8 hours!
    should you pounce?you better run,skip,or hop to that dealership and grab that deal while you can.most dealers are charging full msrp for the elantra down here in south fla even for the basic gls with manual tranny.is the comfort pack the same as the prefered package??looked at a 2012 elantra gls with the prefered package recently.msrp was $18,995.00 and the dealer would not budge from the msrp so grab your deal while you can...good luck....
    edited June 2011
    Finally!

I picked up my manual GLS w/ Comfort Pkg at Hyundai of El Paso, TX. Had a good and fair experience working with the salespersons there; my parents had accompanied me but I negotiated my terms predominantly by myself having done the math earlier.

Initial cost: $16,900/Invoice (manual GLS, comfort pkg, car and cargo mats)
    - $900 (Rebates I qualified for)
    - $300 (Dealership incentive that we haggled for)

Came out to approx $15,700~$15,800 + TTL.

I'm pretty happy, :). Now I just need to learn how to drive it, haha! Thanks everyone on these forums for your help. It's been about a month of research into purchasing my first car. Am much wiser and saavy about the selection and sales process and have a much healthier respect for the vehicles we drive, the prices we pay for them, and the people who sell them. Edmunds and the forum community rock!

Robin

ps. Highly recommend reading Edmund's insider-dealer articles for some insight into how dealerships work and, perhaps more importantly, the lives of the salespersons and financiers that run these dealerships. I found that my parents had a sort of antagonism towards all dealers and some ever present mandate that they had to get their car at a 'steal.'

I don't think it needs to be that way provided you have the time and patience and knowledge of your own finances. Take the time to find out what your budget is and work at finding a vehicle you like from that point; from that measure I was able to narrow my selection and start evaluating the features etc that I wanted/needed and make a value determination based on price/features/long-term of the vehicles in question.

I think the best thing I did was that I was patient, read up on these forums and obtained as many other comparison references as possible to establish the range that I was willing to pay/my budget. Edmunds TrueCar pricing, USAA's car buying service, these forums, and a genial attitude of mutual respect towards the dealership's situation and your own limits are what kept me sane and surefooted during this past month's search.
    edited June 2011
    The Comfort Package and the Preferred Package are different.

The Comfort Package is a Manual GLS trim only that adds cruise control, A/C, larger steel wheels, and some other accessories. Does not have fog lamps, steering wheel audio controls and bluetooth.

The Preferred Package is a Automatic GLS trim that adds the above and fog lamps, steering wheel audio controls and bluetooth.

There is a higher level package called the Tech Package available for the Limited trim that gives you navigation and some other things.

They're all about a ~$1,300 addition to the base price.
    i recieved a call from my local hyundai dealer yesterday informing me that the elantra that i was interested in(2012 elantra gls with prefered pack in desert bronze and tan interior) was going to be arriving at the dealership this morning by truck along with about 6 other 2012 elantra's in assorted colors and options.he told me that if i wanted to have a good shot of getting the car that i should be at the dealership at 12.00 o'clock when the truck was scheduled to arrive.i got there a little late and noticed a small crowd had gathered where the truck was off-loading the elantra's.salesman told me that the car that i had wanted along with the other elantra's on the truck were all sold on the spot even before the truck off-loaded the cars at full msrp..i even watched 2 people get into a verbal shouting match over 1 of the elantra's that each had wanted.i didn't beleive all the hype over this car was true but now i am convinced..20 years ago if you would have told me that people would be fighting over a hyundai i would have said your crazy.but it's true.this has got to be one of the hottest selling cars of all time.maybe even better than the new vw beatle that came out in 1997...
    Not quite close to the buying frenzy over the Gen II Prius (the waiting list on those was many months when they first came out) but remarkable for a Hyundai. They guessed right on the avant garde styling--seems to be attracting a lot of people. 40 mpg EPA rating doesn't hurt either. I'm very glad my 2004 Elantra still has many miles left in it, and gets upper 30s mpg on the highway when driven moderately. And my Sentra lease still has two years left. Hope the prices have moderated some by then, or I'll just snap up the Sentra for $11k residual (which I thought was high when I signed the lease).
  • psgame2kpsgame2k Member Posts: 36
    Hi Steven39,

Do you mind telling the location of the Hyundai dealership?

As for the two in a shouting match, did the dealer try to auction the elantra off to the highest bidder? Please share more.

I have given up on buying the elantra; I will NEVER pay MSRP for any car. I am now looking to buy the Santa Fe. One local dealer is offering $3500 off sticker price; yet I'm still waiting for better deal.