Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• chas0215chas0215 Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2011
    Has anyone come across an Elantra Ltd w/technology package? I have not been able to locate one in any local dealer's existing inventory. I live in NYC metro area. Would like to know if there has been a sighting of one of these yet. Features in the technology package are of interest to me. Wonder if it requires a factory order? Any experiences or insights would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • efpat4efpat4 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2011
    Chas, I have not seen any Elantra's in stock in Northern NJ. I saw four delivered to Towne in Randolph and all four were gone in a day. I ordered mine. I was told 2-3 week wait. Mine is Limited without the extra package.

I sent emails to about 6 other dealers. I did not ask if any were in stock. One offered to tell me they had none and were taking oders.

Good luck.
  • sculliferscullifer Member Posts: 1
    The transfer fee is probably what is referred to as a dealer transfer. They transfer the car from another dealer so they can sell it to you. The fee is probably what they had to pay a driver to actually drive the car to the dealer. If the transfer was from a dealer across town then $150 is excessive, but if they had to get drive it from 75 miles away, it's reasonable.
  • carman72carman72 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the final phone negotiations with two dealers here in Michigan but I can't seem to get even close to the monthly payment based on the numbers he is giving me--two other websites confirm my calculations too. This is for a 2012 Elantra with Preferred package (tier 3). He is quoting me $209/month, MSRP $19055, sale price $18725, residual 65%, money factor 0.0015 with $1453 of my $2k down going to cap reduction.

I'm at $191.03 based on my calculations and same with calculator.com and leaseguide.com. Any clues as to what the gap is--add'll fees somewhere!! He said he just plugs the numbers he's giving me into the computer and nothing else.

My calculations:

Vehicle MSRP $19,055
    Fees Included in Lease $0
    Cap Reduction $1,453
    Vehicle Sale Price $18,725
    Net Cap Cost $17,272
    Residual Value % 65.00%
    Residual Value $12,386
    Depreciation $4,886
    Depreciation Payment $136
    Money Factor 0.0015
    Money Factor Payment $44.49
    Sales Tax 6.00%

Payment Before Tax $180.22
    Total Monthly Payment $191.03
  • carman72carman72 Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to give and update. The dealer was not disclosing the $595 acquisition fee and that brought it right up to $209.

Now that I'm headed over there tomorrow; are there any specific fees I can negotiate? I've heard no one is budging on the $595 fee. That leaves "additional charges" $237, Document fee $190, CVR fee $24.00. Any help?

This is the first time I'm posting in any blog or forum. I want to thank everyone for all the comments--this is my first time leasing and I already feel like a pro!
  • mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    I found 2, a Silver one in Newport News, Va. an a Black one in Cary, NC. Hope this might help ya's.
  • ramen808ramen808 Member Posts: 1
    Yes they exist. I have one on order that's being shipped to me in Hawaii from the West Coast. Its a 2012 Elantra with the technology package in Blue Sky Metallic which is the exact color we asked for. It should be here next week and I can't wait.
  • jimtronjimtron Member Posts: 6
    I'm in Chicago and looking to buy a 2012 Elantra. I've got a few questions:

1) I realize I can search the Hyundai site by zip code to find dealers, but does anyone know other ways to search for dealer stock in multiple states? I would be willing to travel a few hours (WI or IN) to get a good deal on the car I want.

2) Any complications to buying a car out of state? If I'm not mistaken WI looks like it has lower sales tax than in Chicago (around 10%).

3) I'm looking for a GLS, preferably manual trans. I see with the m/t you need to get the comfort package for a/c. With automatic, does a/c come standard? I didn't see a/c listed in the prem. package for a/t.

I've just started contacting dealers and heard back from one--they're waiting for stock. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find the color/specs I want for a good price. I got a really good deal on my '09 Elantra which just got decimated from a hail storm; luckily the insurance co. is taking care of me.

Thanks for reading through my long post.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    2) Any complications to buying a car out of state? If I'm not mistaken WI looks like it has lower sales tax than in Chicago (around 10%).

So here's a complication. If you buy a car out of state, that does not negate your obligation to pay your state's sales tax. When you go to register the car in Illinois you'll be required to pay IL sales tax (at your local rate, not just the state rate). Many dealers in neighboring states can collect the right tax for you, but if they don't then you're on the hook for it. (And if the dealer doesn't collect it for you then you have to come up with it out of pocket & can't roll it into any financing.)

Which also means that if you buy in, say, Wisconsin, and they don't charge IL sales tax for you then they'll instead charge WI sales tax (again, depends on the dealer). So you'll have to apply to the WI gov't to get that sales tax refunded.

If more than 60 or 90 days (something like that) goes by then the sales tax point is moot but unless you can register in the one state & later re-register in Illinois then the sales tax thing will bite you.

I live in the 'burbs outside of Cook County and did not enjoy at all paying over 7% in sales tax back in late '09. It isn't easily avoided. You might check non-Cook County dealers to see if they charge your sales tax rate or their own. Dropping from Chicago's 9.75% to, say, 7.75% in a collar county would save $400 on a $20K car purchase.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    i agree on the sales tax issue.some people who purchase a car out of state wind up paying the sales tax twice because the selling dealers will tell you that they will collect the sales tax for you then when you get the car home to register it you pay the sales tax again.this happens all to often because off the moronic dealers who try to get away with it.do your homework before purchasing a car out of state to avoid any headaches later on...good luck....
  • atlanticoneatlanticone Member Posts: 19
    There are quite a few available at Atlantic Hyundai on Long Island
  • aqualung3000aqualung3000 Member Posts: 1
    hey dude please give me the dealer name and city please!!!! that's the best offer i heard, i'm buying this week by the way...
    Flemington gave me a pretty good deal but yours is deff better.

:)
  • efpat4efpat4 Member Posts: 5
    It was from Towne in Randolph NJ. I did have a trade in and I must admit that I did not negotiate as hard as I could have but thought I had a decent but not best price. So, they made out on that part of the deal

Here is what I paid for the Limited with mats, cargo net and ipod cable. The car had the mats and the cargo net but not the cable. I had no trouble getting the salesman to get one from the parts dept.

$19985
    $399 Doc
    $7.5 tire tax
    $5.7 Motor vehicle

That's it. I don't include the sales tax because mine was a small amount because of the trade in.

I also got quotes on the phone or internet from Global Auto Mall (rt 22, I think) - $20556 and Wayne (it may have a different name) $20,700. The rest of the dealers were MSRP.

I picked up the car Saturday. It took a little over two weeks to get the car.
    It is fantastic. I love the bluetooth phone. It took a bit of time to get my phone, which is locked because of work, to sync all the time but it is a great feature. The seats are comfortable and the ride is great

Good luck.
  • jimtronjimtron Member Posts: 6
    My understanding is that the manual trans GLS doesn't come with a/c--you need to add the comfort package. Does the basic automatic GLS come with a/c?
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    http://www.hyundaiusa.com/elantra/features.aspx shows AC as optional on the GLS, which is also the only trim that offers the MT.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    just recieved another quote via email for a 2012 elantra gls with the prefered pack with auto tranny..msrp is $18,990.00...their special internet price which is not so special is $18,360.00...i have a 2010 kia forte koup sx with sunroof that i paid $18,000.00 for and has lots more power,sunroof,and other features..this will be my trade-in if i can find a good deal out there.plus i have a clean title for the car but still the hyundai dealers are not moveing much from the msrp...
  • ron1963ron1963 Member Posts: 1
    ink did you deal with the internet dept?
    Has anyone noticed that you can't get a Nav. system on a 2012 Elantra GLS, or at least that's the way it appears to me.
  • tmpham85tmpham85 Member Posts: 1
    After a couple of weeks of searching for cars, I finally bought a Hyundai Elantra Limited w/ Navigation. It was the last 2011 from a dealership 1 hour away from me. Msrp. $23, 2XX, price paid $21,500, OTD $23,267. I think I got a good deal, but there was an awry feeling when I left the dealership. I put a deposit down for the car, but didn't sign any contract/paperwork saying I bought the car. The sales guy said that we will do that on Monday when I bring in the down payment for financing and sign all the paperwork then. What do you guys think? Is he pulling my tail?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Too late now, but you should have gotten some kind of document stating you put a $$$ deposit on a specific car (VIN) with the details on delivery and under what conditions your deposit is refundable.
  • wise8wise8 Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2011
    Hi,

I just bought a new 2012 Elantra GLS AT with preferred package + mat + ipod cable from Dublin Hyundai in California earlier this month.

Paid $18,300 plus tax.

I negotiated the price over email/phone and had a good buying experience.

Other dealers wouldn't match the price.

The finance manager offered me 10 year extended warranty program by "MAP" for $2500 which is way over priced. When I told them about my Hyundai protection program alternative, they quickly dropped it to $1200. Do your research first before you buy and don't be afraid to say no when pressured.

I like the car so far although the gas mileage I get is not as high as 29/40 as advertised yet..

Thanks for the posts in the forum.

Good luck
  • wise8wise8 Member Posts: 19
    One of the finance managers at Capitol Hyundai, CA lied to me about Hyundai extended warranty. I told him I want only the Hyundai Protection Plan (HPP) offered by Hyundai over the phone. He told me that the (HPP) plan is offered by a third party called customedge and offered me a slightly lower price in order to lure me into his office. Fortunately I caught the discrepancy in the plan description after I came to his office. It turns out customedge is another after market plan. He finally showed me the real HPP with higher price. I ended up buying the HPP from Magnussens Fremont Hyundai.

How can he lie with a straight face? Be careful and stay away from Capitol Hyundai !
  • khaotomkhaotom Member Posts: 1
    Just bought this off the truck at the dealership, Base GLS Model Red Chilli Pepper with just some basic Option. MSRP $16875, OTD $15750 with a trade in (10 year old 112K Jetta Wagon).
    looked at a 2012 elantra gls with manual tranny and the comfort package.msrp is $17,300.00 and dealer would not budge from msrp so i left the dealership to go get lunch..
    i hate to burst your bubble here.but after reading about the great deal you got on your 2012 elantra i decided to drive up to st.augastine from where i live in hallandale beach,fla(about a 5 hour drive)...i told them that i wanted a 2012 elantra gls with auto,and the preffered package.this car had a msrp of $18,990.00..i also told them that i read online on one of the auto forums that somebody purchased a 2012 elantra gls with auto,and the preffered package for $16,900.00 from this dealership and if i could get the same deal by paying cash..they almost laughed me out of the dealership by saying that there is no way somebody got that kind of a deal from this dealership and the best price they could give me is $18,300.00..a far cry from the $16,900.00 that i read about on this forum..needless to say i was dissapointed and it was a long drive back home without a new elantra...
  • 8sparkplugs8sparkplugs Member Posts: 111
    edited July 2011
    Why would you drive 5 hours each way without a firm price from the start. The original poster said they achieved that price after dealing with them online. I don't know if the price was correct, but I wouldn't invest an entire day to find out.
  • hope12hope12 Member Posts: 2
    I recently asked for quotes from several different dealers around this area and they all asked for around $19,900. Does this price seem ok to you all? I've seen someone buying for $18300+tax here. I asked them to lower the price a little bit but they all said it's nonnegotiable. I never knew the price for Elantra went up this much!
    tell them to stick that 19,900 where the sun don't shine..there are some people who have paid $17,500.00 for this exact car and one guy who posted here said that recently he purchased a 2012 hyundai elantra gls with auto and the prefered package from hyundai of st.augustine,fla for $16,900.00..which beats 19,900.00 in my book..i guess it really depends which part of the country your in and where the supply and demand is at it's peak...
    I would e-mail other dearlers in the area an see if they can give you a better deal. Even if ya had to go down to Va.Beach. If they want to sell, make them work for it.
    price according to edmunds.com is $17,300.00 and i should be able to get this according to them for $16,700.00...invoice price.
  • hope12hope12 Member Posts: 2
    Could you tell me which dealer you bought your car from?
  • bruce1960bruce1960 Member Posts: 1
    purchased mine on 7/2/11 indigo night 2012 limited w/nav, push button start,floor mats,ipod cable,homelink. MSRP was 23,735 paid 22,500 Had a hard time finding a limited with the nav at the time. The local hyundai dealer chillicothe ohio had 3 none with nav that sold the same day they were they came off the truck. Called every dealer within 150 miles only to be told i would have to be put on a waiting list 4 to 6 weeks & that I would be paying MSRP or up to 750.00 more. Luckily I had a dealer in columbus call me to tell me they had just got one in & it was still on the truck. I made the hr. trip & as I was waiting on the financing I noticed a little group of people around the car. stepped outside & a couple approached me & asked if I was purchasing the car. They offered me 500 dollars cash to walk away from the deal so they could buy it. Dont know how hard they are to come across now but a month ago they were really hard to come by in this area,so i feel i got a pretty good deal 1200.00 off msrp & a full tank of gas. Had the windows tinted 20 %. So far I love the car. Purchased at Hatfiel hyundai in columbus ohio
    20 years ago if you would have told me that someone was going to pay you 500 bucks to not purchase a hyundai car so that they can purchase it i would have said your crazy to even mention such a thing..hyundai has come a long way since then for people to be fighting over the cars.
  • psgame2kpsgame2k Member Posts: 36
    If bruce1960 is not joking about getting paid $500 to not purchase the elantra, then the world has certainly changed. When did you ever hear people are fighting like that to buy GM or Ford cars?

Toyota Prius has been very popular; people pay MSRP and wait three months for it. Yet, I never hear anyone would pay money to another buyer to not purchase the prius.

What I also do not understand is given the high unemployment rate and lousy economy, why would people fight over korean cars? Maybe we ought to elect a korean to be the president of United States. Maybe he can balance the budget and pay off national debt.
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • itaddictitaddict Member Posts: 15
    Hi,

My coworker mentioned he can get a 2012 Hyundai Elantra (base) for $9999. We are in NJ. I wanted to know whether this is realistic and Hyundai has the margin to come down to this price? I dont mind a base model but from what I've seen, this may be a stretch.

Regards
    Never happen
  • sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    A 2012 Elantra for $10K? Do you honestly think that's the truth? C'mon now.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Oh, he forgot to mention it had been totalled and has a salvage title. And isn't repaired yet. ;)
    now your talking...
    Yeppers
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    My guess is that your friend saw a dealership advertisement touting this price. What they missed in that ad was the fine print, which probably said something about "assuming $X thousand in trade-in, $X thousand downpayment." Oh, and of course, "only one at this price."

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

but of course!!!!
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Some of the local Pensacola, FL, Stealers advertise their prices with a small print included that shows, almost, including $xxxx. cash deducted. Just another way to entice and rip-off the public. They really should be ashamed of their tactics.

van
  • jdr1342jdr1342 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    I didn't see any data from my area so I figured I would throw my price up. I'm in the Pittsburgh area and I just purchased a 2012 Elantra GLS with Auto and Preferred Package as well as floor mats for 19,700 OTD. It wasn't an awesome deal, but I wasn't opposed to paying close to MSRP as long as there were no ridiculous added fees included. They did include a $140 Doc Fee which I was not happy about, but it seems as if Doc Fees are getting more and more prominent these days. I had to order from the factory to receive the car I wanted because they are in ridiculously short supply here.
    what was the price before TTT and fees??just looked at a 2012 base model elantra gls with auto tranny without the prefered package down here in north miami fla.msrp is $18,600.00 and the dealer would not move a cent from the msrp so i left the dealership.
  • jdr1342jdr1342 Member Posts: 2
    I believe the base price for a GLS without the preferred package should run 18,200 unless they have a dealer markup going. I think getting a great deal on this car is virtually impossible with the way it's selling. Honestly I think you should be ok with paying close to MSRP and making sure there aren't crazy fees added at the end. I don't know how large the document (read B.S.) fees are in Florida, but if they're any higher than $100 I would try to get them to lower the price on the car to compensate.
  • jabntckjabntck Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Here is what I paid for my car in Salt Lake City, UT:

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS w/ preferred package, carpeted floor mats, iPod cable:

MSRP.........................................$18,935
    Sales Price..................................$18,240
    Initial hold down Payment............................$ -$250
    Military Discount.........................$ -500
    Document Fee.............................$ 299
    Registration.................................$ 75.50
    Tire Tax......................................$ 5
    Temp Permit...............................$ 13.50
    --------------------------------------------------
    Sub Total....................................$17,883
    Sales Tax....................................$ 1,271.75
    -------------------------------------------------
    Out the door total...........................................$19,154.75

Put another $6,154.75 down leaving me a balance of $13k owed on the car.
    going tomorow to make an offer on a 2012 hyundai elantra gls base model with auto tranny and no preffered package.msrp is $18,500.00 and i will offer 17,000.00 cash...take it or leave it..other people that i have seen on this forum have paid this much for one with the prefered package.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to talk with a recent new car buyer who was considering buying used, found prices higher than expected and decided instead to buy new? Please respond to pr@edmunds.com by 4pm Eastern on Tuesday, August 9, 2011 to be interviewed.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews