Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bosodysbuyer12bosodysbuyer12 Member Posts: 7
    Not that Elantra is not popular in the area but I guess the key is to play it hard at the bargain table. I recommend getting online quotes from multiple dealers and then bring the lowest quote further by at least $1000. Some dealers send very reasonable quotes online.
    Also, In my case the month-end may have something to do with dealer compromising on the price a little bit.
    I think anywhere around $17400 for 2013 elantra with preferred package is a good bargain.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    wow,$17,000.00 was the final negotiated price before TTT??that is way,way,below invoice.were there any rebates included??
  • bosodysbuyer12bosodysbuyer12 Member Posts: 7
    Yes, it is way below the invoice.
    No other rebates included.
    here's the run down folks from hallandale beach fla today of my purchase of a 2013 elantra gls with the prefered package,homelink,compass,mats,i-pod cable in desert bronze with beige interior.msrp was $19,635.00...final negotiated price before TTT was $18,153.00.the real suprise though is what they gave me for my trade-in which was a 2012 elantra base model.car had 6,600 miles on it with 2 deep scratches on the passenger side door that was done by my girlfriend.these were not light scratches as she used all her power with a knife to create these scratches and yet i got $16,500.00 for my car after paying $18,000.00 for it last summer.we had a bitter break up so she left a little reminder on my car.
  • chcougar1chcougar1 Member Posts: 5
    Would really appreciate some feedback on this potential lease purchase....

So this is what our dealership has agreed to with us:

36 month, 12,000 mile/yr lease

MSRP: 24600
    They agreed to $23,100 after discounts and rebates (However, sales person said the residual and monthly payment is calculated based on original MSRP....is this true?) If so, how is our discounted price reflected in the lease contract?

Residual value $15990 (This is 65%, should this be lower or higher?)
    Money factor: .00244

Down Payment: $2500

Acquisition Fee: $595
    Doc fee: $150
    Title/Licensing: $182.75
    Taxes: $1204

Payments are $300/mo for 36 months

Good deal, ok deal, bad deal???

Thoughts and feedback appreciated. We are supposed to take delivery on Tuesday.

Thanks in advance.
  • swampduffyswampduffy Member Posts: 3
    I'm picking up a red 2012 Elantra Limited this Sat. Black interior, with nav package.

Two dealers agreed to my offer of 22,600 (which I thought was fair, based on True Car graphs of 'good deal' and 'great deal'. 22,600 is a great deal, according to them. I bought it in NH which has no sales tax, but of course, I'll pay 6.5% sales tax when I go to the MA DMV.

Suddenly there was a $348 admin fee that was never mentioned before.

I traded in a 2002 PT Cruiser. I bargained a bit over the trade in and held out for a price $500 than what I expected them to offer me because I was ticked off at the $348.

The car arrived on the lot with mats and a wind reflector for the sunroof. Two options I never asked for. But I'm not paying for them, either.

Other than the last minute going over the gizmos with the sales person, is there anything else I should know or ask for at this point, or is it all over since I'm bringing the check with me? Of course, I'm worried that what I thought was a really good deal is just a so-so typical deal after a lot of research on my part, since I'm just now reading through these forums on prices.

Any feedback is appreciated.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Off the cuff this doesn't seem like that good of a deal. My wife bought a '12 Limited w/Tech last September. Price was $23,300 IIRC. So purchase price was similar. We have higher sales tax (about 8%) which, in comparison to your deal, is somewhat offset by your lower down payment (she put $4K down).

Her loan payment - again, she's buying not leasing - is $328.

So you're paying what looks like very close to "buy" prices for a lease. A lease's primary advantage for consumers is a lower payment and this doesn't seem to get you there by very much.

Consider asking your bank or a local credit union about their new car finance rates. We got a loan rate an entire percent lower by financing through our bank instead of through Hyundai Finance.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert on leasing so others may have better advice.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    i just purchased a 2013 hyundai elantra.they tried to sock it to me with a 899.00 dealer fee.i said that just killed the deal for me if you can't lower that.as i got up to leave they called me back and said it will be 399 instead.
  • chcougar1chcougar1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the feedback.

We are going to look at financing afterall. They offered us 4.99% for 60 months which is a full percentage point above what their special is (3.9% for 60 month loans). I'm not sure why we would be a full percentage point higher. My credit score is about 760 with 12 years of great history. My significant other has above a 700, but with only 6 months of good credit history. Could that really hurt our APR that much?

Anyway. We are going to try to get something like $23100 + $150 doc fee + $182 TTL plus 9.8% sales tax, $3000 down and I'm gonna try to get 4.49% and our payments will be $423. Not amazing but seems ok?
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    When my wife bought, Hyundai was offering 3.9%. Our bank got us 2.92% as long as we set up auto-pay for the loan.

Your credit scores are very good with yours being excellent. I'm not sure if your SO's short time with good credit is a drawback or not. You can always try to finance in just your name if it is. How loan officers choose to interpret credit scores always seems like something of a crapshoot. My wife has a slightly higher credit rating than I do and we're both nicely above 750. However they wouldn't approve her for the loan on her own. With me added on it was a done deal. Very odd, especially since she financed her last car on her own back when she had less income and had no issues with a similar payment amount. I do make substantially more money than she does so my debt:income ratio is better (having a joint mortgage might be killing her d:i ratio if they take that into consideration).

9.8% sales tax is ouch high. I'm about 8% around here (Chicago suburbs).

IMO you should talk to another dealer or another bank about the financing. With Hyundai offering 3.9%/60 month (http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-tools/special-offers.aspx) and your good credit I don't see why you should have to settle for anything higher.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    i just paid the same $18,100.00 for a 2013 elantra with the prefered package.this was before TTT....
  • kamiltrykamiltry Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying the 2013 Elantra Limited with tech package.

True car is showing a price of 22,088 which the dealer said he would honor which I think is a great price but I also qualify for other incentives.
    However they will not honor other incentives such as my Graduate discount or Motozuma. He says TrueCar and the other incentives aren't meant to be stacked.

I dont understand why they wouldnt honor them considering Motozuma isn't coming out of his pocket he gets it back.

Does anyone know of any dealer in the NYC tristate area that doesn't make a big fuss over Motozuma?
  • titaniumdaisytitaniumdaisy Member Posts: 1
    Today I was approved through my AAA membership for 1.95% financing for 63 months for a 2013 Elantra GLS w/preferred package. Score is 760 with many years of great history, as is yours. Car title will only be in my name; no one else's so I'm dealing w/someone else's lower credit score. AAA contacts several lenders to get the best deal. To get that %, in addition to an excellent credit score, must have monthly payments automatically deducted from ckng acct. Call around; I did. Credit unions, small banks, AAA. Good luck!!
  • booklvr2004booklvr2004 Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote for the 2012 Elantra Limited with Navigation at $21,960, with TTL it comes out to $23,999. That is the best quote I got so far. Most dealerships say that the 2012 is almost out of stock in Southern CA and they are trying to sell me the 2013 model. I don't think its worth spending more $$ for it since there are minimal changes.

What do you guys think of the $21,960 price? Oh, and the salesman said that all the options were installed at port and that it is included in the price and that this is his last 2012 car - the showroom car. Are there any issues with buying a showroom car? I'm planning on getting it tonight.
    if the 2013 model elantra that they are trying to sell you isn't that much more than the 2012 model i would go for it.just as a example here.i recently purchased a 2013 elantra gls with the preffered package.however,the 2012 elantra that i looked at on the same lot had a msrp of $19,265.00 while the 2013 elantra with the same features had a msrp of $19,685.00.so for only 400 bucks more i got a 2013 model which i felt was worth it.one benefit you have to purchasing a showroom car is that it hasn't been driven by many people for test drives.my 2013 elantra was a showroom car and it had only 5 miles on it when i took delivery.i watched them take it out of the showroom.
  • booklvr2004booklvr2004 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick reply. The lowest 2013 quote I got is $23,300, which is $1,340 more than the 2012. Good point about the showroom model.
  • calorictigercalorictiger Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    I bought a elantra limited with nav package recently for 21,800 from atlanta. I think that was an awesome deal.This is before taxes and other charges
  • sujostocksujostock Member Posts: 3
    I want to pay 19000 for 2013 elantra with ttt and no dealer fee in south Florida. Is this doable since end of the month is coming up and from msrp of 20945?
    i think around 19,500.00 would be a more realistic figure.i just purchased a 2013 elantra gls with preffered package in desert bronze for $18,163.00 plus TTT...msrp was $19685.00.....
    Was that in south Florida?
    yes,from lehman hyundai in north miami beach..
  • jakestormjakestorm Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for this info. I'm negotiating on a GLS in SoCal this weekend. Sticker is $19,600. When you say you paid $18,163 does that include the freight fee? I have a dealer that's willing to sell at $18,840 - which I thought was good until I saw your post. If your price doesn't include freight I think my deal is OK. Otherwise, what is your secret to getting nearly $1000 under invoice?! Yours is an automatic, yes?
    edited May 2012
    please keep in mind that in your neck of the woods in southern cal prices tend to be on the high side due to the demand.here in south fla the demand is not as high as it used to be.6 month's ago you couldn't find more than 2 elantras on the lot at any given time.when i purchased my 2013 elantra a few weeks ago i had to choose from about 20 elantras on the lot which is probably why i got a great deal.another reason why i got a good deal is because iv'e done alot of buisness with this dealership over the past several years by purchasing 3 cars from them.they like repeat costumers..anyway,here's the rundown again of my deal in north miami beach florida...2013 hyundai elantra gls with the preffered package, auto tranny and the follwing add-ons...home-link compass rear view mirror,trunk net,wheel locks,i-pod cable...msrp is $19,685.00...my final negotiated price before TTT and includeing the freight was $18,163.00...not a bad deal..iv'e actually read that some people up in the northeast around new york and boston area have purchased this same car for around $17,000.00..i guess it all depends on supply and demand and what part of the country the elantra is more popular in....
    That sounds like a great deal. I have been to hyundais in Miami: potemkin, doral, and Kendall and the biggest deal breaker has been the "dealer's fee". Did you get charged this fee on top of your negotiated price at Lehman?
    the dealer fee at lehman is 899.00...however since iv'e done buisness with this dealership over the years by purchasing 4 cars from them they have always given me a break on the dealers fee.this last purchase of my 2013 elantra a few weeks ago i was again able to negotiate the dealer fee down from 899.00 to 399.00 and you should be able to do the same..the dealer doesn't want to loose a sale because of the dealer fee...
  • callen27callen27 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to buy a limited for 22500 out the door. I was offered 22000 flat for a red one but I preferred the black. This is near Atlanta. So a 20,782 sales price isnt bad.
  • tmfdtmfd Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2013 Elantra limited for $19499.00. That was our total cost. MRSP was $22215.00 in central Missouri. Add features carpeted floor mats,cargo net,cargo tray,mud guards,rear bumper protector,sunroof wind deflector,alloy wheel locks
  • tmfdtmfd Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2013 Elantra limited for $19499.00. That was our total cost. MRSP was $22215.00 in central Missouri. Add features carpeted floor mats,cargo net,cargo tray,mud guards,rear bumper protector,sunroof wind deflector,alloy wheel locks
  • jakestormjakestorm Member Posts: 2
    Fyi, folks, my daughter took delivery on a 2013 GLS on Tuesday here in Los Angeles. $19,605 sticker became $18,150 ...and she got the exact car she wanted. So, persevere because you can make it happen. My kid spent 45 min on the phone and saved herself over a grand. We wouldn't have even thought to attempt this until steven39 gave us the idea that it was possible to get such a deal. Thanks again steven39!! :shades:
    hi jake,and thanks for the compliments.i hope your daughter is enjoying her car.we both have the same car with the same features but you did a little better on price although not by much..$18,163.00 to your $18,150.00 but we both got great deals.this is what these forums are all about,to give as much information as you can give to try and help others get the best deal they can get on a car purchase and it paid off for both of us...once again,enjoy the car..
  • dbquintilliondbquintillion Member Posts: 1
    I am in St. Louis, MO. I have a quote from a dealer for $17,393 - after I asked about any other fees they said there would also be a $199 dealer fee. This is for a 2012 GLS, MSRP of $18,720. I told the dealer price was my priority and I would take the least equipped car they had in stock, and this was the price I got. It seems like a good price to me, but does anyone disagree?
    Thanks.
    sounds like you got a pretty good deal.you got off easy with the dealer fee.when i recently purchased my 2013 elantra a few weeks ago the dealer fee was 899.00 which i negotiated down to 399.00 and got them to thrown in window tints and oil changes.the dealer fee although they won't admit to it is just pure additional dealer profit..much like staying at a hotel and being charged a resort fee.
  • zllttzlltt Member Posts: 2
    how much price difference is fair? what do you think

and btw i found this on safecar.gov about the safety issue on early 2012 model,maybe useful to you.

"
    Note: Star ratings are valid for models produced before or on June 22, 2011 if manufactured at the Hyundai Alabama plant (before VIN# 5NPDH4AE0CH084176), or July 19, 2011 if manufactured at the Hyundai Ulsan plant in South Korea (before VIN# KMHDH4AEXCU255243).
    "
    i recently purchased a 2013 elantra gls with preffered package a few weeks ago.i traded-in a 2012 elantra gls base model.while looking at the elantra's on the lot i noticed there wasn't a big difference in price.example...2012 elantra gls with the preffered package had a msrp of $19,265.00 while the 2013 elantra gls with preffered package that i purchased had a msrp of $19,685.00.so it's really not that much more to get a 2013 and make your friends and family envious.by the way,the elantra i traded-in was built at the ulsan plant while the 2013 elantra i purchased was built at the alabama plant and the quality is much better from the alabama plant.
  • buymeacar2012buymeacar2012 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Jakestorm
    I'm also looking for a great deal on a 2013 GLS Elantra. Which dealer in LA did your daughter purchase her elantra? I'm also in LA and I would love to deal with the same dealership.

maybe jake can get a commission out of this for recomending another customer.lol
  • lovethelancerlovethelancer Member Posts: 70
    edited June 2012
    Wow. That is insane. We ended up getting ours for $23,500. We got 3.29% through Capital One Auto Finance...The dealer offered us that through Capital One so we just decided to take it. They wouldn't let us do the College discount even trying through Hyundai. I think he just didn't want to go lower than $23,500

EDIT: Our was a 2013, but still...geesh. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal.
  • hx_guyhx_guy Member Posts: 41
    Been working over the past day via email/phone with some local dealers on a 2013 Elantra GLS Auto with Preffered Pkg (plus other small misc. items) and I have a verbal sale price of $18,124 for a $19,605 MSRP car. This is the best I've gotten, other two offers have been $18,350 and $18,824. Doc fee of $398 and then plus tax, title and tags.

Go forward with it?
    yes,it's a good deal..me and another forum member named jake just recently purchased the same car you have.2013 elantra with the preffered package.i live in south florida and jake is in los angeles.he paid $18,150.00 plus TTT for his and i paid $18,163.00 here in florida plus TTT for mine.so your price is within what we paid which seems to be pretty much what others are paying on this forum.
  • gman4911gman4911 Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2012
    That's pretty close to what I paid for my 2012 three months ago. Mine included the iPod cable, mud guards, cargo net, cargo tray, rear bumper protector, and floor mats.
    my 2013 elantra with the preffered package included all these things you just mentioned.msrp was $19685.00.my final price was $18,163.00 plus TTT..iv'e heard from others saying that this is what they paid for their 2012 elantra so i feel i got a good deal.
    Well the dealer tried to pull the good ol' shady tricks that they are known for. The $18,125 price was with a $500 military rebate...which they never asked about and we don't qualify for. They want $18,625 now.

The lowest I've been able to get a quote for is $18,325 + tax/TTL/doc for an out the door price of $20,695. Another dealer gave me $18,350 + tax/TTL/doc...neither seems to want to budge any lower.
    well,this is the price you are paying for a car that is very popular and in demand.stick by your guns and your bound to find a dealer that will sell at the price you want...
    I've pretty much talked to all the local dealers, seems like this is the best they are willing to go as they don't seem to be in any hurry to call me back and go any lower. Guess $18,325 is going to have to be it.
    i guess your right.the $18,325.00 isn't that far off from what most others have paid which is around $18,150.00 on average so i would go for it at that price.just make sure it's a 2013 model and not a 2012...
  • buymeacar2012buymeacar2012 Member Posts: 2
    Yup, I think he should work out some type of commission deal with the Hyundai Dealers... heehee. I'll be really happy if I'm able to get a similar arrangement once he notifies me of which dealer he dealt with here in L.A. I've seen sticker prices as high as $20k for a GLS model in my neighboring dealerships but I'm not willing to go that high.
  • dkahanedkahane Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 2013 Elantra GLS with auto transmission for $17,850 + taxes & title. I did NOT get the Preferred Package, but the price included carpeted floor mats, cargo net, cargo tray, iPod cable, mud guards, rear bumper protector,...and lifetime oil changes.

Good deal? (I'm in Northern Virginia.)
    well,just for comparison,i myself recently purchased a 2013 elantra gls with the prefered package down here in south florida for $18,163.00 plus TTT...so for only 300 bucks more you could have gotten the preffered package.it's worth it to have the extra features that come with the prefered package not only as useful features but it also adds value to the car.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter is interested in talking to any car shoppers who are thinking about buying any one of the following small cars: Chevy Cruze, Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic or Dodge Dart. Please send a brief description of your shopping experience and your preferred contact information to PR@edmunds.com by Monday, June 18th

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dkahanedkahane Member Posts: 4
    Different strokes for different folks. For me, there are better things to spend the $300 on. There is nothing in the Preferred Package that makes it worth the money to me: I don't use my cell phone while driving, so Bluetooth has no appeal. Ditto the wheel-mounted audio controls, as my in-car audio use is confined to jumping among a few FM radio stations. Lighted ignition vanity mirrors? Meh. Finally, I'm 73 years old and expect the Hyundai to outlast me, so the resale issue is probably moot ;) .