Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ixis14ixis14 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2012
    Hello Car_man

What is the September residual and money factor for a 2012 Elantra GLS?
    I'm interested in a 15k per year 24 month and 36 month lease in california.

Also what is the minimum credit score for the top tier lease rates?

Thanks,

Ixis
  • xaviorxavior Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply, I have a feeling you and I are very like minded. I also look for low-mileage used vehicles, as I believe it normally represents a good value but with the used car market still inflated coupled with the elantra's popularity there isn't much discount for a used one (2011 or newer).

I wish you the best on your car puchase!
  • ixis14ixis14 Member Posts: 4
    Car_man, I just found out that 2012 Elantra's are pretty much gone. So instead of lease rates for a 2012 could you please provide the lease rates for a 2013 Elantra GLS.

Thanks,

Ixis14
  • val26val26 Member Posts: 3
    Looking to buy a 2013 Elantra Ltd 4dr w/Nav-Optoin Grp3. Edmunds shows invoice at $22,971 and MSRP at $24,070. Would like to buy (cash) at or even below invoice - which is all of $1,099 off of MSRP. Any idea if this is reasonable? Not enough off of MSRP? Should I see if the dealer will also pay TTL? Looking to learn what dealer and/or mfr incentives are available, and what you think. Thanks,
  • eweinereweiner Member Posts: 36
    If you have cash make a lowball offer and be prepared to walk out. Tell them to call you when they can do the deal. That should get the price as low as possible.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Paying cash does not make a better deal. Most dealers prefer that you fiance (through then). You'll usually pay less financing some of the cost.

Dealers get paid 100% upon delivery wether by you or a finance company. The "pay cash" deals are more than 50 years old.
  • elantra2013xelantra2013x Member Posts: 1
    What do you think about this price out the door? $25,800 for a black with black interior which was VERY VERY hard to get. I called 10 dealers and no one had it but I finally found it. Did I get a decent deal considering they went far away to get it and towed it near my house? I was trying to walk out with it at $25,000 clean but they wouldn't have it.
  • elantralover11elantralover11 Member Posts: 1
    Test drove the Elantra GLS sedan w/ auto today and absolutely loved it! So much so that I am seriously considering going back to buy within the next week. However, I am torn over one major issue... the age old dilemna of buying new vs. used.

I went to the dealership 100% convinced I was buying a used car, a 2011 Elantra GLS to be specific as I don't see a major benefit of getting the 2012 over the 2011 (imo they are essentially the same car). The 2013 Elantra GLS wasn't even on my radar, until I saw the sticker and realized how small of a step up in price it was compared to the 2012 and even 2011.

After reading comments on this forum, it's sounds like several people have had success negotiating the $19530 MSRP down closer to $18,100 (this would be for 2013 Elantra GLS A/T w/ preferred package + a few other options). The 2011 models I have been looking at don't include the preferred package and are coming in around $15-16K.

I'm pretty price conscious and was honestly aiming for a used $15K car. But if I could get the loaded 2013 negotiated down $1.5K, it seems almost crazy to not go for the newer model...

What I would be curious to know is how others have been successful in negotiating that lower price for the 2013?

Or if the 2011 is indeed the way to go, for those who purchased used - did you go for the 10yr/10,000 miles powertrain warranty? I understand it does not transfer, so that additional cost is another reason I am considering the newer car, just not sure if it's really worth it to add on.

Appreciate the help.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    It's a little hard to say without more information. Of that OTD price, how much is sales tax, doc/title fees, etc.?
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • peruchoperucho Member Posts: 9
    Hi guys,

I was able to negotiate a 2011 Elantra GLS (alabama plant?) CPO with 32k on it. Silver color in good shape. no stains no dings... nothing.

The price was $13,700 before TTL in the fairfield, CT area. The Edmunds price for this type of vehicle is about $16-17k around this area.

You guys think this is a good deal? taxes in CT are 6.35%. What do you guys think? Let me know cause I'm planning to get it today or tomorrow. thanks!
  • xaviorxavior Member Posts: 4
    They are always listed north of $14K, so I suppose that's a pretty good deal. I was considering a 2011/12 Hyundai Elantra, but I kept running into the new vs used issue. Since the Elantra's are still a popular car, the used car prices are staying very high.

I got a quote for $16K before TTL for a base model 2012 Elantra with A/T (this is after the $500 downpayment matching) a month ago. I didn't consider saving $2K-$3K by buying a ~2 year old car with the same mileage as yours a good enough deal. However, $16K for new was too much for me so I will wait for the right deal.
  • peruchoperucho Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for reply. I also thought about used vs new. But I can't wait too long as I tottaled my car in an accident and need a replacement. Wish me luck with my choice.

Good luck.
  • skymapperskymapper Member Posts: 2
    Capital Hyundai
  • mo614mo614 Member Posts: 4
    I've been away from car shopping for many years.
    Just curious about the warranty on a used Elantra from a dealer. Does a buyer only get the balance of the 5 year/ 60,000 mile warranty? I'm guessing the final 5 years/ 40,000 miles of the 10 year/ 100,000 mile (new car) powertrain warranty is of no use to the used car buyer.
    Anyone know for sure?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, 2nd and subsequent owners get only the balance of the 5/60k warranty, unless you get an extended warranty from Hyundai e.g. Hyundai Certified Pre-owned car.
  • emd829emd829 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2013 GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan Alabama plant last Thursday.

Radiant Silver, gray Interior
    Preferred Package
    Carpeted Floor Matts
    Cargo Net
    First Aid Kit

Black pin striping
    Nitrogen Filled Tires

I was interested in the Elantra, but didn't necessarily care for the pin striping or nitrogen filled tires, and I certainly wasn't willing to pay the sticker price of $21,025 that was marked on my car due to that. So, after a test drive and some negotiation discussion on price, I decided it was time to go home and keep researching, because that price wasn't worth it.

I received multiple price quotes from other dealerships for the same car, and received a quote lower quote from another dealer. Got a call back from the first dealership and was asked to come back in, agreed, and they got me a final price I was comfortable with and were able to beat my Credit Union's financing rate(with Capital One...eh but it's still a better rate)

My OTD price which included tags, tags, etc was $18,633
  • elantraguyelantraguy Member Posts: 5
    Can you tell me more about # 3 2013 Elantra GT A/T ?

I am looking at purchasing one.

What city did you get this quote ?

What options did the car have ?

Thank You in Advance !
  • tagztagz Member Posts: 4
    After a lot of negotiation, the dealer agreed on $22,700 for the car. The sales tax is 6.25 here in MA, TTL is $150 and the dealer is charging doc fee of $290. So the OTD price is coming out as $24,600 approx. Is this a good deal?

BTW, this dealer has pretty much all color combinations, including Atlantic Blue which is new for 2013. Lot of Elantras in the lot!
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    what was the msrp for this car before discounts?
    The dealer gave a paper which has the finance installment options... it said Market value $25,414. Not sure if it is the same as MSRP
    Just called the dealer and got the info...

MSRP: $24,320
    elantralover,you are right on with that $18,100.00 price.over the summer i purchased a 2013 elantra gls with the preffered package.msrp was $19,685.00..my final negotiated price before TTT was $18,163.00....
    hi folks,my elderly aunt wanted me to post this messege about her recent car purchasing experience.i went with her today to look at some new cars she was interested in.her 1999 honda accord turned in it's notice and she decided to trade it in.she narrowed down her choices between the 2013 chevy cruze and the 2013 hyundai elantra due to better gas mpg..anyway,we got lucky today since the hyundai dealership and chevy dealership are across the street from each other which made comparing the 2 cars a little easier.first up was the 2013 chevy cruze LS with auto tranny.msrp was $19,080.00..she didn't test drive the car but wanted to see the elantra across the street to see how it compared with the cruze..this is where the comparisons ended.we looked at a 2013 hyundai elantra gls with the preffered package which had a msrp of $19,685.00....it's very hard to believe that only 600 dollars seperated both these cars and yet the elantra offered a ton more features for the money...where to start,warranty,room,power,cruise control,4-wheel disk brakes,heated front seats,compass rear-view mirror,illuminated vanity mirrors,as well as ignition,front fog lights,better mpg....this was a no-brainer for my aunt and she purchased the elantra and is thrilled with it.we both sat in the cruze and it felt cheap and inferior to the elantra.
  • bayonetbayonet Member Posts: 8
    I used the same approach as I did in 2009 to purchase an Azera Limited. Called and emailed multiple dealers. Picked it up on Thursday. i will post pictures later. ">I was able to negotiate the following;

Details:
    2013 Elantra Limited (Auto) Red Allure/Black Leather Interior
    Technology
    Auto Dimming Mirror
    Bumper Applique
    Cargo Net
    Carpeted Floor Mats
    I-POD® Cable
    First Aid Kit
    Mud Guards
    Wheel Locks
    Destination Charge

Purchase Price: $22,911.00 ($1,799.00 from sticker)
    Doc Fee: $161.39
    Drive Away Sticker: $20.00
    Tax/Title/License: $1,288.00
    TOTAL: $24,380.39
  • elantracoupeelantracoupe Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy the Elantra coupe 2013 SE model. I am in Ontario Canada where taxes are 13% and my finance rate for 84 months is 0.9%.

I was wondering if someone can tell me what I should be paying for this car.

Thanks
    went with a friend of mine yesterday to look at a 2013 hyundai elantra coupe se with sunroof and a 5sp manual tranny.msrp was $20,785.00 and they offered to sell for $19,175.00 plus TTT..he's takeing the usual day or two to think it over and compare other deals that he's gotten.
  • matthewg4matthewg4 Member Posts: 4
    2013 Elantra Sedan, GLS-PZEV - (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) - meets California Emissions Regulations and is certified.

Color: Shimmering Air Silver - 2012 North American Car of the Year IIHS Top Safety Pick

Standard Features -

5yr/60k New Vehicle Warranty - Honda, Toyota, Madza, Ford, Kia = 3yr/36k New Vehicle Warranty.
    - 10yr/100k mile Powertrain Warranty
    - Electronic Stability Control (ESC) w/ Traction Control
    - ABS w/ Electronic Brake Force Distribution and Brake Assist
    - 4 wheel disk brakes - (usually an option or available on higher tiered vehicles - and a definite advantage in accident avoidance/emergency handling situations, over front disk w/ rear drum)
    - Front, Front Side Impact * Side Curtain Airbags = 6 airbags
    - Tire Pressure Monitoring System - (important for maintain proper air pressure in tires, which is important for accident avoidance/emergency handling situations)
    - Daytime Running Lights (w/ manual override feature - if you have the DRL on, your perimeter parking lights will be on as well, but all turn off automatically when the engine is turned off)
    - 1.8l, 145 HP, 130 lbs-ft Torque, DOHC 4-Cylinder
    - Dual Continuous Variable Valve Timing
    - 6-Speed A/T w/ Shiftronics
    -16" Allow Wheels (not wheel coverings)
    - Map Lights w/ Sunglass Holder
    - Air Conditioning w/ Cabin Air Filter
    - AM/FM/SiriusXM (w/ 90-day trial),CD/MP3 Audio System w/ 6 Speakers
    - iPod/USB and 2 Auxiliary Input Jacks
    - Remote Keyless Entry w/ Alarm (Would have been nice to have the remotes on the actual key like on Honda's keys, as well as have the key "chipped" which prevents the ignition from being started w/out the key - only real complaint about the car to date)
    - Power Windows and Locks (Auto down only - auto up would have been a nice touch to include)
    - Power Heated Outside Mirrors - (nice feature on those cold mornings when everything is fogging up)
    - Trip Computer: Avg MPG, Avg Speed, Miles left on remaining gas level, Trip A, Trip B
    - Exterior Temperature Display
    - Steering Wheel Mounted Cruise Control
    - Tilt and Telescopic Steering column (most only offer Tilt, and not the Telescopic option)
    - Driver Seat Height Adjustment
    - Front Armrest Storage Box
    - Front Passeger Seatback Pocket
    - 60/40 Spilt Folding Rear Seats w/ center armrest w/ cupholders
    - Front and Rear Door pockets w/ moldings to hold water bottles.

MSRP: $17815.00
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------
    Preferred Package Added Features:

- Heated Front Cloth Seats
    - Steering Wheel Audio Controls
    - Bluetooth Hands-free Phone System w/ Voice Recognition
    - Cloth Insert Door Trim
    - Sliding Center Armrest
    - Illuminated Vanity Mirros w/ Extensions
    - Illuminated Ignition
    - Front Foglights

MSRP: $17,815.00
    Preferred Package: $650.00
    Freight & Handling $775.00
    --------------------------------------
    Total Sticker Price $19,240.00

Amount Financed: $18,436.00

Things I declined to buy from Dealership:

1. 10-yr/100k Extended Warranty - Price $2200 w/ a $100 deductible; although I was able to get the price down to $1650. Car comes w/ 5yr/60k New Vehicle Warranty, and you can always purchase an extended warranty as you get close the end of the New Vehicle Warranty - which really only provides an addition 5yrs/40K miles of extended coverage. (I had purchased one w/ my '06 Civic for $1695, zero deductible, 8yr/120K mile - they couldn't offer one w/out a deductible and gave me some b/s line about all deductibles need to be equal for all warranties.) Besides their aren't many people who blow 60k miles in 5 yrs, or still have the car after 5 yrs. So, I'll cross this bridge when I get to it and not before - I don't want to pay for something I may never use.

2. Gap Insurance Coverage: Gap insurance is a great coverage to have, but buy it through your insurance company, versus buying it through the dealership. Ex: Dealership was going to charge me $800 for gap coverage, which lasts the full term of the loan. My insurance carrier added it for an additional $9.00/6 months coverage. Note* Gap Insurance is really only needed the first 2-3yrs of the loan term, as the first 2 years of car payments the majority of which is applied to the loan's interest, and less is applied to the principal balance - which would be your payoff amount should your car get totalled. Gap coverage makes up the difference between what your car's assessed value at the time of the accident vs. what your loan balance - thus not leaving you with a balance to pay for a car you no longer own, or have to fold into your new replacement car loan. So, to complete my example above, it will only cost me an additional $45 for 2.5 years of gap coverage, versus the $800 the dealership attempted to sell me.

3. Paint and Under Carriage Sealant - Declined: I don't live in South Dakota, where this product application would be a must to prevent/minimize corrosion and extend the life of a vehicle. I live in California, known for its mild climate. Here my car, though not garaged, but carported, is washed and detailed weekly, and waxed monthly. Yes, I've been told that I'm a bit OCD about the care of my vehicles, but then again, that's why I've always received top value when I decide to sell.

I realize that I wasn't too popular with the Finance representative I worked with in the closing of my purchase. One must realize the reasons why the dealerships attempt to sell you these options, is to pad the bottom-line. Just know that you're in charge, that you are not obligated to buy any features, services, or options you don't want or need. Don't allow any member of the dealership to intimidate or coerce into do anything you don't want - and feel free to walk away at anytime. Remember, they are there to be of service to you, and while yes they want to sell you as many features, options, and add-ons - you can say always say "no thank-you".

I hope my "two-cents" was beneficial and feel free to ask questions or offer comments.
  • elantraguyelantraguy Member Posts: 5
    After getting nowhere from the Michigan Hyundai Dealers who were not willing to budge from MSRP, I went and bought the vehicle I wanted exactly in Chicago. The salespersons name was STEVE WADE (Wade is not his last name but his nickname).

STEVE is knowledgeable, and a MAN OF INTEGRITY, who treated me like family.

The dealership he works at is KNAUZ - HYUNDAI, Lake Bluff, Illinois.

This was the best new car purchase that I personally have ever had !
  • bdsilvabdsilva Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited PZEV Auto for an OTD price of $22,350.

The car is a standard limited with the following added Features:

Carpeted Floor Mats
    Cargo Net
    Cargo Tray
    First Aid Kit
    Mud Guards
    Rear Bumper Protector
    Sunroof Wind Deflector
    Alloy Wheel Locks
    Rear Wing Spoiler
    Pin Stripe
    Fabric & Leather Protection
    Door Edge Guard
    Tire Package

Price Details:

Price of Unit: 20,834.11
    NJ Sales Tax: 1,458.39
    NJ Tire Fee: 7.50
    Reg/Title Fee: 301.00
    Doc Fee: 249.00

Sub Total: 22,850
    Minus Rebate: - 500.00

Total OTD Price: 22,350

Dealer: Toms River Lester Glenn Hyundai, NJ

Comments Welcome!
  • docmddocmd Member Posts: 6
    Hi folks-
    I am seeking advice on a Hyundai Elantra for my wife who is first time driver. We went to CarMax yesterady and test drove a 2010 Elantra SE (4 door), 2WD with 22K miles on it. It still has an active 5-yr warranty on it. The car did well on the test drive. There is some wear on the tires, although we were told that it passed Maryland standards. The (infamous) 'No Haggle' price is 13,998. With the addition of the sales tax, fees, etc the price out the door is 15,500.

Could you please give me some feedback on whether this is a reasonable price to pay?

Thanks a lot!

TR_73
  • bdsilvabdsilva Member Posts: 5
    my advise is to invest a couple of more thousand and get a 2013 GLS. It has more features and feel is great compared to 2010. In MD, you should be able to get the vehicle OTD 18500, may be a couple of hundred dollars more depending on the dealership location. Hyundai had a low apr with $500 rebate for all customers last month. I am not sure if the promotion is still around. I am sure great promotions about to come around the holidays/new year. If you can wait, wait. 2010 Elantra SE is not bad either. It's just a matter of $18,500 vs $15,500 and 2013 vs 2010.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Absolutely agree...go with a brand new one if possible. Carmax has high prices to begin with...way too high! Buy new and get all the latest features and a car with no history. I've done both the used and new route and think the new route is the way to go unless $ is a big issue. Right now I drive a '06 Civic which I bought new and even though I also wanted a used luxo car that had like 20k on it for about the same price, am very glad I didn't go that route.
    Please, think very carefully on this before you pull the trigger as the new Elantra is such a better car!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    Hi. I agree with what the other two posters said. Besides, there have been lots of reports of bad transmissions with the 2010 Elantra's. And I'm one of them, my 2010 Elantra tranny went out two months after I bought it new.
  • ilovemachinesilovemachines Member Posts: 3
    Guys,
    bought 2013 Elantra GLS A/T without additional features for OTD price $17200. Do you think I got a great deal?
    is this the elantra without the preffered package and just the gls with auto??what was the price before TTT....
    Steven, yes its without the preferred package, just GLS with Auto. Not sure what you mean by TTT Price. It cost me $17200 in total, including all taxes, fees and interest charges for 36 months @ 0.9% rate
    when i asked what was your price before TTT i meant what was your final negotiated price before tax,tag,and title fees...
    oh ok..sorry, I am new to these terminologies..anyways, final price was $15.5K and then they offered me $500 rebate so it was $15K
    17200 OD sounds like a very good price. I have a quote for the 2013 Elantra GLS with the preferred package (automatic) for 18200 (OTD). I thought this was a reasonable price and I want to get the car today. Any last minute thoughts and wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot for all your advice.

Best regards,

TR
    $15,000.00 is a steal for a 2013 elantra gls..how did you get that deal???
  • muzrinmuzrin Member Posts: 8
    Yes, thats an awesome price, how and where did you get it.
  • muzrinmuzrin Member Posts: 8
    docmd , thats a great price from what I have seen so far. where are you getting this ?
  • cwoods97cwoods97 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2013 Elantra Limited with tech package in November for 22,200
    6.5% tax
    250 Doc Fee

Details:
    2013 Elantra Limited Harbor Grey With Tech Package

Leather Interior
    Auto Dimming Mirror
    Bumper Applique
    Carpeted Floor Mats
    First Aid Kit
    Mud Guards
  • bob225bob225 Member Posts: 46
    Same package. I have a quote for 22,949 and 500 more off if I take the financing.

Sticker is 24,550

Tax/title seperate no trade.
  • guileastosguileastos Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Hi everyone,

Please tell me if I got a good deal?

Hyundai Elantra GLS with:
    1. Preferred package
    2. Carpet floor mats
    3. Cargo net
    3. Auto-dimming rearview mirror

(All of the above were standard on their Elantras and so I couldn't find just a base model.)

for Base $18,000 + TTL + 2.9% financing with $500 rebate which came up to about $20,457.40

Thanks

P.s. They told me it was tinted but it turned out not to be so they'll do that for free.
  • maureen14maureen14 Member Posts: 9
    Hi there cwoods97. Is the price 22,200 before taxes and doc fees? What did you get as your final price before taxes and doc fees? Would you mind breaking down the price? Like what your price including destination fee and options was, then documentation fee and if that document fee is the title stuff or just the dealers doc fee, any rebates (and not the tax since we all have different state taxes). Thanks so much for your help.
  • temp3temp3 Member Posts: 1
    17200 + ttl
    19038 otd

1000 off the price of 18200 in incentives.

from capital hyundai in san jose, ca. they were good to deal with, very easy.
  • cwoods97cwoods97 Member Posts: 2
    Window sticker was like $24,900

$500 off instant rebate for Hyundai Financing
    $500 loyalty rebate (or something like that)

$22,200 + 6.5 tax + 1443 + 250.00 Doc fee
    Total Paid = $23893
  • ccostanccostan Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Probably not the best deal out there but wanted to share since I found this forum really useful and informative.

Sticker : $22,155 Mats, First Aid Kit & Rear Spoiler

22137.25 + 8.25% tax + 229.50 (Title,Plates,DMV) + 75 Doc fee

OTD Paid : 23157.25 (Zero Down / 60 Month finance)
    Plaza Hyundia in Brooklyn, NY.
    Folks- I just picked up my Elantra GLS 2013 today. It is an auto transmission and black in color. I got the preferred package on it. Extra options were auto dimming with home link and ipod cable. The sticker price was 19670. I got two rebates ie the financing through Hyundai one and the other was something they called a competing car rebate. My other car is a CRV. At the end of the day, the OTD price was 17545. I was quite happy with the purchase and did almost all of the negotiating through email.

I found a lot of useful advice from this forum and wanted to share my experience.

Best,

TR-73