Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dglozmandglozman Member Posts: 178
    Thats very similar approach. I was talking "other" fees to be included in the offer that the dealer might add (documentation, advertising , processing,- you name it)
    you don't have to be an owner to get $500 Auto show discount. Just fill out the application and they will send you coupon by mail. make sure its your name and address on the coupon - car should be regester to that name.
  • dragodrago Member Posts: 10
    My local dealership has offered me a match of Cars Direct price minus the 750 for a current Hyundai owner rebate. Total including taxes and all fees would be 13,000 for an Elantra GLS Auto with Package 5. Is this a good price?
  • pfallonpfallon Member Posts: 1
    Could you please clarify this for me. I am trying to help my sister-in-law purchase an Elantra. When you say, "just fill out the application and they will send you a coupon by mail", are you referring to a coupon at the Hyundai booth at the NY Auto Show, or is it some other coupon from someplace else?

I can send my sister into the auto show if that is the only way to get the auto show rebate. However, she wants to buy by Thursday, March 31, to make sure she gets the $1,750 rebate. So does anyone know how she could qualify for the NY uto show rebate and have it in hand by Mar. 31?

Thanks for any help you can give us.
    Yes, its a coupon at the Hyundai booth. They will enter you in some kind of lottery and will send you $500 coupon. Make sure its in your sister name and address (if she is the one who purchasing)
  • vikhawkvikhawk Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS. It was the base model. The only options were automatic transmission, cruise control, and floor mats. My total bottom line price was about $10,300 (this included taxes and fees). This was after the $1750 rebate and a $2000 trade-in on my car where the Blue Book value for a trade in was $1075 and $1795 private party sale (I had been offered anywhere from $100 to $1100 from other dealers on the trade-in (a 1993 Dodge Spirit in excellent condition with 80,000 miles but I put over $3000 in repairs in it since last July) so I got a great deal on the trade-in). My question concerns the price. The dealer told me that I couldn't pay cash for this price - I could only get the price if I financed it for 66 months at 7.9%. If I pay over 66 months, it adds about $2300 to the price. However, he told me that I could pay the whole price off next month with no penalty. Does anyone understand why I can't pay $10,300 now but that I can pay $10,300 next month with no penalty? It seems that everyone would get the lower financing price and then pay it off early. It sounds like a scam but I can't see what I am missing. Thanks.
  • bikerpabikerpa Member Posts: 68
    Does anyone understand why I can't pay $10,300 now but that I can pay $10,300 next month with no penalty?

Sounds to me like the dealer/salesman get their cut of the pie regardless of how you pay off the loan, and they're just working the system to maximize profit for themselves at little-to-no cost to you. The only folks getting taken advantage of here are the loan company, and I'd wager that they have so microscopically few people like you pay it all down in the first month that it's still worth their while to occasionally deal with not getting their 7.9%.

That's my guess, anyway. It sounds like the sort of just-the-proper-side-of-shady thing my coworkers and I used to do back when I worked retail for commission.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What appears to be happening is that the dealer gets a special rebate if you finance through them. This is a common occurence, e.g. right now Mazda and DC are offering special discounts ($1000 I think) that apply only when you finance through them. I always wondered why automakers do this when you can pay off the balance early (as in, a month after you buy the car). Anyway, if you can line up alternate financing and pay the loan off right away, it looks like a good deal for you. Be sure to check the prepayment clause in the finance contract though.
  • vikhawkvikhawk Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice. I did check the prepayment clause. There is no penalty.
  • manu777manu777 Member Posts: 2
    i have been offered a price 10,300 (before taxes, title and registration) for a brand new 2005 hyundai Elantra GLS. Its a base model. The only options are automatic transmission, and floor mats. There is no trade in or financing involved at all.
    Is this a good deal ??
    any help in this regard would be highly appreciated
  • themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    That is a steal!

ElantraStan
    http://www.stanarseneaux.com/elantra/
  • katesmith530katesmith530 Member Posts: 2
    I'm being offered a price of $13,500 in NJ for a 2005 Elantra GLS Hatchback Auto with Pkg Opt 5 (cd upgrade and moonroof). Is this a reasonable price? I haven't mentioned my trade-in yet, which would be around $1,000. Thanks for any input! ;)
    If that is the price before tax and license and after the $1750 rebate, that is about $235 over invoice, which is pretty reasonable. Is that a negotiated price or their first offer? If it's their first offer, you might try offering invoice ($13,265) to see what they say. You might at least see if they will "throw in" the factory floor mats, since you'll want them anyway.
  • katesmith530katesmith530 Member Posts: 2
    This is the price before tax and license and after rebate. This is their first offer, so I was figuring I could try and get something thrown in. Thanks for your help backy. I'll let you know what comes next.
  • timmythebonetimmythebone Member Posts: 18
    Got my 2005 auto GT tidal blue hatchback with package 8 in December for $14650 OTD with $3000 in rebates. Mom just got a 2005 auto GT black sedan with package 8 for $14850 OTD with $2500 in rebates. What do you all think?
  • manu777manu777 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for ur reply i got the car :)
    I think that was really nice of Mom to get another Elantra to keep your hatchback company in the garage.

I also noted that Mom got a better deal than you did. ;)
  • gsklargsklar Member Posts: 8
    Hi -

I'm wondering if anyone has the Edmund's TMV for a 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT with Package #8. Need it urgently. Thanks. Sunshine
    Hi Again,

Looking for the Edmund's TMV or CarsDirect quote on a 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT with Package #8 in NJ - zip 07095. Need it urgently.

Thanks.

Sunshine
    I assume you mean as a new car? As I recall, the sticker on that car, with automatic, was $17,414 when I bought it in '04. I also recall the invoice price was a tidbit over $16,000. So deduct the current rebates from that (see hyundaiusa.com), and if I were you I'd take some more off since it's a year old, and you have a starting price.

I don't think Edmunds has used car prices for '04s yet, if that's what you're looking for.
    Hi Backy,

I bought my 2004 Hyundai last year and agreed to pay 14,200 for the car alone. No tags, title, etc. Nothing was mentioned about rebates at the time of negotiation. I never bought a car before and when I got to the finance part, just the invoice price of the car was 16,740. I questioned it and got some mumbo-jumbo that they increase the car price to reflect the rebate which I would get back from
    the manufacturer. The bottom line is that the out the door price was 16,091. Is this a good price or did i get tricked. I seem to remember that the TMV was around 14,440 without the rebate. Sorry, it's a long story. Sunshine.
    $14,200 for the car, if it was a GT pkg 8 with automatic, before tax/license/fees may not have been a bad deal at all depending on the rebates in effect at the time. They vary a lot. Total rebates at the time of my purchase were $3000, including loyalty rebate and a regional auto show rebate. That, plus a 3-year maintenance package, put my price at $13,200 before tax/license/fees.
    Hi -

Here's the breakdown - I still don't understand it...

Price: $16,740
    Taxes, Doc, Title,, etc: $1351.40
    Total: $18,091.40
    Less $2000 rebate
    Total $16,091.40 out the door
    Sorry, I misunderstood you when you said you paid $14,200 for just the car.

Basically you paid about $740 (approximate) over invoice (invoice was about $16,000 on this car, assuming it's an automatic). Did the dealer say anything about "advertising fees"? Dealers in some areas tack this on, about $3-400, and say it's part of the invoice. Did they show you the invoice?

BTW, why are you asking this now? You already bought the car, right? Enjoy it!
    Hi -

No, I didn't look at the invoice. When I agreed to 14,200 I was happy thinking TMV was 14,440 before rebate. I threw those papers out and now I'm not sure if the 14something price was before or after rebate. I questioned the invoice and signed the invoice thinking I was going to get the cash rebate from manufacturer. So I asked Hyundai where was the rebate and they said they paid it to the dealer. I called the dealer and they said the 14,200 price was after rebate. Now I'm not sure. If I could get a copy of last year's TMV pricing or 2004 CarsDirect quote, I'd know and be a lot more comfortable. Thanks.
    Hi -

If anyone out there is thinking of buying a house but thinks it's too complicated, trust me, if you've bought a car you can buy a house.

Thanks.
    Based on your figures, you did not get $14,200 after rebate. More like $14,740 after rebate (but not quite due to tax effects). It's a little easier to figure in my state, where rebates are deducted before sales tax, license, and fees.
    Hello Again,

So overall you feel this was an acceptable price after rebate?

Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it.

Sunshine
    Sorry, I really can't answer that question--for you. Would I accept that price? No. But I live in a different market, where dealers don't charge the "advertising fee", and where market demand for Elantra GTs may be different than where you live.

I urge you to forget about this and move on. It's done. The time to ask these questions is before you sign the contract, not after.
    Hi Backy,

You're absolutely right.

Thanks for putting up with me.

Sunshine
  • dragodrago Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased an Elantra GT with Auto Transmission/Package 7 for $14,400.00
    No money down, after the Rebates I financed $12,335.00
    Paid $1200.00 in taxes/registration/smog here in California.
    Total price was $13,535.00
    :shades:
  • anon70anon70 Member Posts: 82
    the current rebates end May 2.

I plan to buy a car in June, and am looking at the Elantra.

do you think there will be rebates in june? if so, is it usually lower/higher/same as now?
    The $2250 rebate is on the 2004s--if you can find one. It's $1750 on the 2005s. Plus a $750 loyalty rebate on either. Plus other stuff.

Sure there will be rebates on Elantras in June... the question is, how much? With a new Elantra due within the next year or so, I can't imagine rebates going down much if at all on the current model, but who knows?
    what other stuff in addition to the rebate?

and is there a way to search for the location of 2004 elantras?
    http://www.hyundaiusa.com/Financing/Special_Programs/Special_Programs.asp

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/Financing/Special_Programs/College_Graduate_Program.asp

Some dealers have web sites with inventory. If not, just call your local dealers and ask them. They can do a search across the region to find a particular car also.
    thx

called a dealership in the DC area. no 2004 elantra's in the region
    The hatchback also has the same sport suspension and steering as on the GT, plus 4-wheel disc brakes like the GT, plus a special interior cloth that IMO is nicer than the sedan's cloth interior. All for just $300 more. Drive both the sedan and GT to see which one rides the best for you. The sedan has a softer, more comfortable ride, while the hatchback has cripser handling.
    doesnt maintanence cost go up because the rear brakes are disk?

or do they wear at the same rate as drum brakes?

also, sport suspension = rougher ride, but corners better?

crisper handling-> will i notice any difference if all i'm doing is changing lanes?
  • ryjspahrryjspahr Member Posts: 1
    I live in Seattle, WA and am in the market for a new smaller 4dr sedan... I have settled on the Hyundai Elantra GT (fully loaded w/Acessory Package 8... ABS Brakes w/traction control, sunroof).

The price I was quoted was $14,428 (after rebates) plus Tax & License. This is for the car in the color I want (Black), automatic transmission, and the Package 8.

What do you all think... he told me to shop it around, I told a competitor and he said he could not match!

Also I've read about the owner loyalty rebate... on the Elantra it's $750... can I just buy my buddies crappy 92 Hyundai for $100, transfer it into my name and save another $650? Anyone know if there are restrictions on this?

Thanks,
    Ryan :)
  • timmythebonetimmythebone Member Posts: 18
    We just bought the exact car in PA for $14,850 OTD, but this included the owner loyalty rebate. We also had the mud flaps and added after market window tinting that gives it a much better look IMHO. Good luck!
    I don't know about drum vs. disc brake wear but that's a question for another discussion anyway. As for the ride... go drive the car(s) and see for yourself!
    As far as the owner loyalty works - I owned a '95 Sonata when my parents bought a new Elantra GLS in October '03. My registration was still for their address at that time, so I faxed a copy of it to the dealer and they gave my folks $1000 off on the spot. As long as you have a Hyundai vehicle registered to the same address you put down when you are purchasing the new vehicle, I think you are set.
  • jackfarrowjackfarrow Member Posts: 1
    I saw an ad in the Detroit Free Press for a brand new 2005 Elantra GLS From Glassman Hyundai for $9888 with auto trans and A/C. I figured it was some sort of scam, but it didn't cost anything to look. It was no scam! To this $9888 price was added $750 (I didn't qualify for the Hyundai loyalty rebate), plus cruise control, floor mats, doc fee and shipping. The total before taxes was $11,697.50! Adding sales tax, license plate and title fee, the total "out the door" price was $12,600.
    I've heard of people paying anywhere from $10,400 to $16,500+ for a new Elantra. I got away with $11,622 ($13,100 all said and done, including $869 100k bumper-to-bumper extension) on my GT, but that was a stickshift. Given that your GLS situation is an auto, that doesn't sound bad...! Also it's nice to see a dealer that is remotely honest with an advertised four-figure price, even if it is slightly misleading w/ including the loyalty rebate.
  • carfriendcarfriend Member Posts: 2
    I have been office GT 5 door automatic for $13900 on the road. Is this far deal or can get better deal than this.
    sales price 16313, delare rebate 1805, mfg.rebate 1750. plust titile & tax. this is in ohio 7% sales tax.

Is there a change price go down next month or so because of 2006 model?

Thanks
    $13900 out the door for a GT automatic is a very good deal--the dealer is offering a great discount on it. Does it have any option packages?

The new Elantra will likely not appear until early 2006 (note the press is now referring to the "2007 Elantra"), so the price will probably not go down in the next month or so because of the next Elantra--it isn't even publically announced yet.
  • rhstamperrhstamper Member Posts: 1
    I am in Southern California and looking to buy a Hyundai Elantra. Can you tell me where you got your car?
  • carfriendcarfriend Member Posts: 2
    No, I din't comes with any option packge. Thanks for your response