Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Anti-bug pre-emptive strike

jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
Get a fabric screen, almost like a bra designed for your vehicle, it will keep the bugs off the hood and grill.

For on the windshield I use Rain X, I can use the wipers and washer to get most of them off while driving.

The other thing that I have found that works really well for getting bugs off the paint, windshields, and mirrors, is Splat. It is sold at the auto stores near the waxes, and tar removers, it is in a clear spray bottle and almost looks like antifreeze green. You spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes then rinse it with a garden hose, and they are all gone!

Comments

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,238
    It wouldn't hurt to apply Zaino too. Makes the finish so smooth and slick, the bugs don't stick. Tmart
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Waxing the front makes the bugs come off with a quick wash. I too use Zaino wwhich they seem to wash off easier with but a wax burt that worked fine also.
  • scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    90 highway miles every day, so bugs are a big deal with my car. Zaino helps a lot. I like to hose it off just about daily; dust, bird poop, etc. slide right off but bugs are stubborn. I keep a car wash solution in a spray bottle and use it the same way jgmilberg uses Splat. Spritz the front end and hose it off last.
  • blarg1blarg1 Member Posts: 59
    with 100 zagillionn bugs out there in the world, you are more than likely to hit a few. this is like the guy trying to figure out how to wash the dirt off the bottom of the car.

ummm, the expensive way...use the internet to locate all the detail shops on your route. use these as navigational way points instead of touristy type attractions. stop as often as possible, in fact, set up appointments so you can preserve your precious car finish, instead of winding through the badlands, or taking in the natural beauty of the grand canyon.

or do it yourself...

wax the front end with a good coat of wax. if you are really anal about this, bring a couple gallons of COLD distilled water, bottle of diluted car wash solution, and a sponge. and don't forget the wax. stop every few miles for a touch up. do not apply the wax in the sun. for seroiusly gross bugs, use a fingernail with light light light pressure. be sure to touch up the rock dings before applying wax. use wet sand paper, primer and a sprayer to properly repaint the damaged areas

after about 10 of these freshen up stops, your passengers will demand a seperate rental car... for you.

don't sweat the small stuff, you will have a much better time.

once you have an even layer of bug guts, they only pile up, they don't mash into the bumper and hood, leaving dents. it is kinda fun to watch the birds pick the car clean at the rest stops.

me, if i was really insecure about my car, I'd wash the car every other refuel stop, maybe at worst, once on the trip.

definitely do it when you get back home.
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    demineralized water handy without anything in it. Its good enough to soak off the bugs and doesn't remove wax.
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    move to Siberia ...No bugs there.
  • darbhdarbh Member Posts: 51
    Yes, a spray bottle of distilled water is THE one thing to keep in the car. It helps with most problems and leaves absolutely no film, water spots, etc. I use it lightly on all problems, as the first shot (even on leather, but sprayed very lightly).
This discussion has been closed.