Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester vs Toyota RAV4

Comments

• c14c14 Member Posts: 6
    Full Time AWD chews up tires and sucks up too much gas.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Chews up tires? Right. Then how did we get 60+K out of our original Impreza Outback's tires?

Both our Subies get in the mid 20s, in terms of gas mileage; not exactly gas guzzlers...

Bob
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Chews up tires? Right. Then how did we get 60+K out of our original Impreza Outback's tires?

Your car must be hard on tires because I got 70k miles on the origianl tires on my '96 Outback wagon. :-P 60k on the 2nd set and still looked good when I traded the car.

45+k miles so far on the original RE92 Blotenzas on my '03 Outback wagon.

Only got 50k though on the tiny 13" tires on my '89 GL-10 5 spd. FT-4WD Turbo Touring wagon.

Damn cars are really chewing up the tires! :-D

DaveM
  • speedwagonspeedwagon Member Posts: 6
    I too just bought an 05 Forester X and love everything about it except for the rear drum brakes.

Do you know he best way to go about upgrading them to discs? Estimated cost? I'm wondering if it would be worth the $$.

Thanks!
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Full Time AWD chews up tires and sucks up too much gas.

A part time 4WD system like the Jeep Cherokee had will chew up tires when left engaged on dry pavement but Toyota's and Subaru's AWD systems are far more advanced.

It's true that full-time AWD systems do cause a slight reduction in mpg but only in the 1-2 mpg range.

-Frank
    Do you know he best way to go about upgrading them to discs? Estimated cost? I'm wondering if it would be worth the $$

I think you're going to find it to be prohibitively expensive to upgrade to discs. While I agree that discs are better, the difference in performance between rear drum and disc brakes is very slight (fronts do most of the work).

-Frank
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My tires have actually worn very evenly (unlike FWD, where the fronts wear much faster).

My current set has 43k miles on them and have not reached their wear bars. Can't complain.

25.1mpg lifetime average, can't complain there either.

Now that the troll is gone, let's get back to our regularly scheduled program...

-juice
  • manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    Lets see:

$400/month for 72 months, not good credit. with $3550 down. Figure with your score, you are paying about 10% interest, so you are paying about $25500 out the door for the forester.

I think that is a good deal!

About the credit: the difference between good (700 + Beacon) and 620 beacon is about $50/month.

Or another way:
    I just bought a forester LLBEAN for 24900 out the door, put down 4900, aqnd have a payment of 4900. Beacon is 740.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    refrain from spamming the boards. A single posting in the relevant discussion is adequate.

tidester, host
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    This was explained to me by the Subaru manager of the dealer that I purchased from and came to find that we have the same friends of each other (small world) The way Subaru of America works is that if your credit score is lets say 620 and they run you through them (Chase) for the 1.9% if you qualify for a 6.5% from chase then Subaru America pays the differance from the 1.9%& 6.5%The same as if your were to qualify for 3.9% then the differace from 1.9%&3.95 would be paid by Subaru of America this was how it was explained to me. .... Matt
  • maedaymaeday Member Posts: 1
    Drove a Forest X and an Outback at the dealership today. Preferred the seat and leg room of the Forester. Two questions: Can I rely on the 22-28 mpg estimate? Also, the Forester seemed to vibrate on a smooth road. Could this be the tires? Anyone else have this experience? It would bother me on a long trip.
  • growler5growler5 Member Posts: 67
    EPA MPG range - I think it's legit. I have an '05 XS with 5sp manual, driven 8800 miles since Thanksgiving. Stated MPG is 23-30 mpg, I've never gone below 25, and have gotten 29-31 in the last month with a lot of highway miles. The EPA MPG range should hold up for warm weather driving, but you should expect to drop 2-3 mpg in cold (avg 20-30 degree) weather.

Vibration. It's the tires or balance. I test-drove several Subies when I was shopping for the above-mentioned XS. Two of them had a problem with a vibration from a rear tire, which from my past experience has been a balance issue. To put your mind at ease, I'd test drive another sample or two.
    As they say, YMMV. But for me the 21/27 estimates on my Subaru were accurate, if anything maybe a big low.

Excluding the times I've towed and driven on sand, my low was 20.7 mpg, not far below the 21 EPA city number. And I commute to the city.

My best is 30.4 mpg, well above the highway number.

I normally get around 22-27 mpg, though my lifetime average is actually slightly above 25.

-juice
    Before they PDI the car the pressures are near 40psi. Air then down and I bet that fixed the issue. Ask them to do that and then test drive the exact vehicle you plan to buy to be sure it's quiet.

-juice
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Pretty quiet in here, but there's a new RAV4 out there. Anyone cross-shopping them?

Steve, Host
  • prosaprosa Member Posts: 280
    I suspect there won't be much cross-shopping between the '06 RAV4 and any Subarus. It falls between the Forester and the 'beca in terms of size and price and therefore doesn't really compete with either.
    Interesting decision Toyota made to bring the LWB model here, as Europe gets a 5-seat only short wheelbase model. That's the one that would have competed with the Forester.

Perhaps because Toyota owns a share of FHI, they decided to not let these overlap much. They went big and let Subaru stay smaller.

In fact, I bet Toyota makes a bigger Highlander that doesn't compete much with the Tribeca as well.

The one thing that does invite comparisons are the performance the V6 model and the Forester XT offer. C&D hit 60mph in just 6.3 seconds with the V6 RAV4, but their XT models have been in the low/mid 5 second range. Only the Saturn Vue Redline can even come close to either of those.

But even in this performance niche, one has a V6, the other forced induction, and those tend to appeal to different people.

-juice
  • prosaprosa Member Posts: 280
    Interesting decision Toyota made to bring the LWB model here, as Europe gets a 5-seat only short wheelbase model. That's the one that would have competed with the Forester.
    Perhaps because Toyota owns a share of FHI, they decided to not let these overlap much. They went big and let Subaru stay smaller.

Could be. I would think, however, that Toyota made its decision regarding non-importation of the SWB model well before its recent acquisition of the FHI stake.
    Good point. And in the USA, bigger is better, so maybe that it what motivated their decision.

I wonder if the SWB model will show up later? Imagine the V6 in that lighter, more agile model? I bet it would be a hoot to drive.

-juice
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    And while Subaru is at it, they should put the 300hp in the Forester and bump the STi. 300hp in the Forester....my gawd that thing would fly.
    I've been asking for a Forester STI (they started capitalizing the 3rd letter this year) for a long time.

More so than the 300hp, it could use some starch in the suspension. The 2006 models were raised up about half an inch and have a comfier ride, but it's less sporty now. The XT has 7.9" of clearance, other models 8.1". It used to be 7.5" for all models.

RAV4 has 7.5", so it actually sits lower.

I think a Forester STI could be lowered to maybe 7" or so, with bigger sway bars and higher spring rates. Give it the self-leveling shocks from the LL Bean model so that the rear end doesn't sag with heavy loads, and to keep it level. That would be a hoot.

Forester XT is the king of acceleration, but I'd like to see them fine-tune the handling so it can outrun, say, an X3 Sport Package, in the turns.

-juice
  • doctyphoondoctyphoon Member Posts: 25
    I must be the outlier, as I am cross-shopping the FXT and the RAV4. I just saw a couple of the new RAV4's yesterday, a white Base model and a black Limited, and they have my attention. A bit larger than the FXT, but no more than a welterweight at most. I am waiting to see how the V6/5sp AT RAV4 compares with a FXT 4spd AT, since thats the tranny I am looking for. I wouldn't be surprised if the RAV4 eases ahead in acceleration, especially since I believe they lowered the final drive ratio in the '06 FXT AT's.
    I'm sure you know the XT 5spd has been clocked at about 5.3 to 60. That's going to be hard to beat.
    The question for me is which will turn out quicker with an automatic tranny (my preference), or will it be a wash? I am aware that the MT FXT can go sub-6 0-60, but I have not seen a clear answer regarding the performance of the auto tranny version. Some posters are suggesting that it is a second or more slower than the MT'ed sample. Matching the characteristics of an automatic transmission to the boost curve is critical for good performance; if it is a second slower, that would suggest that the match is not ideal.
    The auto XT took 6.1 seconds or so to hit 60mph, vs. 5.3 for the manual (5.9 IIRC for the '06s).

They relaxed the gearing on the M/T models, I don't think the autos changed.

They did gain a bit of boost, about 1psi extra, and went from a claimed 210hp to 230hp. So it should be at least as quick as the original.

A large displacement V6 will have better throttle response, but the V6 is a revver and makes its power high up in the rev band, while the turbo makes peak torque at just 3600 rpm, so in the boost it should pull away, especially at higher altitudes with thinner air.

Both are plenty quick, in the big picture.

-juice
    ...thanks for the info on the auto XT 0-60 time, that's better than I had heard elsewhere...it was my understanding that they reduced the gearing for the '06 AT XT from 4.44 to 4.11...that takes away a bit of the lowend grunt...

...I havent seen a plot of the V6's torque curve, or determined how much the extra gear in the 5AT will mask any low end weakness...I do know that properly sized turbos can make plenty of low end grunt, once they get up on the boost...fun stuff!...
    The only thing that even comes close to these two autos is the Saturn Vue Redline, and even then it's a step or two behind.

-juice
  • kumarikumari Member Posts: 72
    I am also cross shopping the Subaru Forester with the RAV4. I also drove the Honda CRV, Mitsubishi Outlander, BMW X3, and Toyota Highlander. I found thata the CRV drove like a "tin can on wheels" and was shoddily appointed inside, the Mitsubishi was nicer, but still felt like an economy car (and I was driving the premium model), the BMW X3 was not as impressive as I thought it would be and the Highlander was too much like a luxury SUV in ride and handling (for that matter, so was the BMW and I tested the sports version).

After 11 years in a large tip-over prone SUV, I'm looking for something different, but still need the SUV space. My other cars were a muscle car, sports car and sports sedan. I thought the Forester and the RAV4 handled the most like a sports car which I miss driving. I am leaning toward the Forestser XT Limited, but am waiting until the RAV4-V6 comes out and will drive the sport package in that model to really compare. And, then the dealership will have to let me drive it on the freeway, like I did with the two Forester models (X & XT). I do have more problems with the RAV4 than with the Forester - I HATE that rear-mounted spare tire - HATE IT! And, I think the interior is too busy, with the multileveled dash and all those lights and dials - gives me a headache just to look at the brochure! And, it has a little teeny sunroof, compared with the gigantic one offered by Subaru that's almost a convertible!

Interested in reading what everyone else thinks.

Samantha
    Perhaps you can rig something to fit the spare inside, maybe lay it on the floor and built a "false floor" around it from wood, then carpet over it.

I used to do stuff like that back in college, mostly to mount subwoofers and audio equipment. :shades:

-juice
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I have driven and researched this car along with the OutBack Base. I can say both cars are quiet, offer adaquate acceleration, are decent with gas and are among the safest cars out there. The base models are equipped as well as the base Rav. In fact the base Outback offers heated seats, wipers and mirrors and alloys. Obviously there are two BIG differences. One is appearance and two is size. If you look at the Forester at the right angle it looks like a little SUV. At the wrong angle or when parked next to an SUV it looks like a wagon---a turn off to many people; inclusing my wife. This nudged us to look at the Outback. Yes its a wagon. It does not pretend to be anything else. Still is has a rugged unique look and a very plush luxuorious interior. We were actually deciding on which one we wanted when we heard about the new RAV so we have decided to see what that is like.

The other downer on the Forester and Outback is size. Both are essentially the same in size. Each offers the same width and backseat legroom. You could likely get by with these cars but it would be nice if they were wider and longer. Now, compared to our '96 RAV they are huge. But the new RAV will be even bigger.

So, it may come down to looks and size for us. If these things don't matter to you then go drive the base Forester X (auto) or Outback base (auto). They will currently cost you 21.4K and 24K out the door respectively....here in PA at least. The new RAV likely never be anywhere near the price of the Forester. It may be close to the Outback once it drops from MSRP.
  • pogs2006pogs2006 Member Posts: 26
    How do you guyz get the flag beside your name?
    How do you guyz get the flag beside your name?

Lefthand side of the page, click on Preferences (under Forum Tools) and it will let you choose a flag (among other things).

-Frank
    Bummer, I was hoping to see C&D compare these two directly, but they wrote that a new RAV4 was not yet available in time for the 5Best evaluations. Forester kept the crown, but let's see what they pick next year.

Oddly, they did a full review of the V6 model in a previous issue, 2 months ago IIRC. :confuse:

-juice
  • mitsuhmitsuh Member Posts: 1
    I, too, have been faced with this choice. I also looked into the Honda CR-V, Honda Element, and read about a wide variety of other potential contenders --- but it came down to the RAV4 and the Forester. I have a 1998 Forester which I love but I wanted to get an update --- the idea of buying a different car appealed to me (sometimes it's nice to have a change of pace).

I personally love manual transmissions, so I was skeptical of the 2006 RAV4 and its automatic-only design. However, on a test drive I was pleasantly surprised --- this is a superbly tuned automatic transmission, shifting just when you'd like it to shift, without that auto tranny lag that I hate so much.

There are lots of nice touches to the RAV4 --- like the little handles that let you fold down the rear seats from the rear access, etc. The interior is larger than the Forester, so one would imagine a bit more utility as far as hauling stuff.

However --- the RAV4 is over a foot longer than the previous version, which some might find appealing but it makes it half a foot longer than the Forester. I live in a place where I frequently need to parallel park, so half a foot can make a big difference when it comes to squeezing into a tight spot. Yes, the RAV4 has more cargo space but frankly I've found my 98 Forester surprisingly capable when it comes to hauling loads of stuff.

The 2006 Forester handles really well, as always, but it's clear that Subaru has spent some time tuning things since 1998 --- it's even more sprightly, even more responsive. The 2006 base engine is clearly more powerful and has more usable torque earlier in the RPM curve than it used to --- the RAV4 4-cylinder engine is more than adequate but still, not quite the same feel as the Forester. And the Forester has higher ground clearance than the RAV4.

RAV4 also has a peculiar part-time AWD system that is supposed to instantly activate when needed --- but I prefer the Forester's always-on "symmetrical" all wheel drive --- when I hit that patch of black ice around a blind curve, I don't want to wait even that tiny fraction of a second it might take for the RAV4's AWD system to decide it is needed. I like the fact that the Forester now has limited slip differential standard in every model --- something my 98 model lacked, which would have come in handy during the last snowstorm (it still handled the snow very well, but there were moments when a limited slip diff clearly would have been an advantage).

The clincher, however, for me was Toyota's bizarre inventory allocation policy. In New York, where I live, there are no RAV4 Sport models with side/curtain airbags (absurd, no?) That is something that will likely change --- but it is obviously a stupid attempt to force people to buy the more expensive Limited --- but if you're like me and want sporty performance, you want a Sport, not a Limited, which has things I don't want (leather seats --- never liked that) and lacks things I do want (sport-tuned suspension). What's worse, a Toyota dealer (*****Westchester Toyota --- avoid them like the plague!*****) told me that they had two RAV4 Sports with side/curtain airbags but they didn't --- despite the fact that I TWICE called before making the long journey there from the city to ask them to check it. I believe they were engaging in bait-and-switch tactics --- I actually asked the girl, "Tiffany", what the MSRP was of these supposed RAV4 Sports, and she told me $25,430, *which is what the Sport would have cost with the options I wanted* --- but of course when I arrived at the dealer, they didn't have it, and the salesman explained that "Tiffany" doesn't sell cars so she doesn't know what she is talking about, trying to make it seem like an honest mistake (after a $30 cab + train ride and an hour of wasted time) --- yet the fact that she gave me a fabricated list price and insisted on telling me that she had "checked with the sales manager" makes me think this is part of a calculated bait-and-switch ploy on the part of this dealership. This and Toyota's practice of allocating different vehicles to different markets (so I'd have to go to Philadelphia to get a car I wanted) was the last straw --- I stuck with my tried and true brand, Subaru, and bought a Forester 2.5X Premium at Stamford Subaru --- an *excellent* customer experience, I highly recommend them if you live in the area. No nonsense, friendly, conscientious, straightforward, no hard sell. Amazing.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Sounds like you got what you wanted.
    Good luck with your new Subie.

-ss4
  • nibsnibs Member Posts: 65
    IMO there is nothing out there comparible to the quality, sportiness, safety and fun factor of the FXT. I am not saying that there are not vehicles that may be more comfortable or shinier.

I drove the Rav, CRV, Pilot, and just about every AWD/4WD vehicle and I can honestly say that the FXT out did them all as a complete package. The bonus was that the dealership knew their product and it was a no hassle deal. :shades:
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I have friends who are signing on an '06 Forester X tomorrow after also test driving the RAV4 4-cyl and the CRV. Forester has the best safety, best performance, best fuel economy (essentially tied with the RAV), best handling and best price. Plus no resin-finish bumpers, so it looks more upscale. Its only downside was its smaller, lower backseat.

Add in the March $2000 rebate on the X model and it was an easy decision for them. They're paying about $2500 less than a base LX CRV, and the base RAV was even higher, more so after adding in options: roof rack, fog lights on both and airbags & daytime running lights on the RAV. All standard on the Forester. Sure it's due for a makeover, but it's still on-par or better than the competition in most areas, and is by far the best value.
  • kc456kc456 Member Posts: 12
    Can I ask how much your friends are paying for the Forrester? I'm getting $19,800 + TTL + a few minor options for the Forrester (rebate already accounted for); very similar for CRV (I expect $20K with options, like roof rack etc). RAV4 is up there (due to alloy wheels, roof rack, side airbags/side curtains) at about 3K over Forrester. But it seems CRV and Forrester are pretty close right now at least in base price. (I'm comparing Forrester X to CRV-LX to RAV4 Base -- all in AWD or 4WD).
    They're paying $19,196 + TTL, and, like you, are adding a few minor options on top of that. That makes the Forester $2600 below invoice (after $2000 rebate).

Best offer on the CRV was $500 over invoice, which would be $21,504 + TTL. Add on the roof rack and fog lights (standard on Forester) for another $500, and suddenly you're $2800 more than the Subaru. And the CRV had by far the weakest engine of the three, plus the worst gas mileage. I did like the utilitarian interior design of the CRV, though, better than the RAV's modern dash. Forester was somewhere inbetween, nice and clean though.

I highly disliked the side-opening rear hatch on the CRV and RAV4 - I parallel park regularly and would often not have the huge amount of room required to swing those doors open. I was able to open the Forester's hatch with less than a foot of space between it and the car behind it. Also, the side-opening rear hatches block the curb side of the vehicle, so you have to walk all the way around the hatch when you're loading or unloading, again requiring even more space. The side-opening hatches also allow the rain/snow to get in, while the Forester's hatch provides a nice shelter. Also, there's no lip to the rear bumper on the CRV and RAV, so unless you open the rear hatch, you can't step there to secure anything to the roof rack or to wash the vehicle. And the rear-mounted spare tires on the RAV and CRV stick out farther than the bumper, so if there's an impact with anything higher than two feet or so, the tire and door take the brunt of it.

Sorry about going on like that - can you tell I didn't like the rear hatches of the RAV & CRV? :)
    Doh! Realized my first post was a reply to a message from Oct. '04! Sorry 'bout that. Just a little untimely. :blush:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's nice to have the numbers updated. :shades: I must admit that having hatches that open up on my minivans and wagons over the years has pretty much spoiled me on that issue.

Steve, Host
  • socal2socal2 Member Posts: 5
    We just picked up our automatic transmission Forester X in blue. What a sweet color! It had the compass/mirror, mud flaps, cargo tray, bumper guard and netting options, bringing the MSRP to $23,867, invoice $22,200.

I insisted they take $5000 off MSRP(which includes $2000 factory rebate) in order for the price to become competitive with what Honda CRVs go for. I guess to meet their March 31 fiscal year sales goal, they finally caved in. 6 other dealers flat out refused to sell under $19,500, as this is their cost factoring in the $700 holdback. Who knows what Subaru is kicking back for meeting sales numbers, so taking this into account, I really doubt that they "lost money" on my transaction.

Also, when comparing the AWD Forester X to the Honda 2-WD CRV LX, realize that AWD is worth at least $1000. In addition, when you sit inside the CRV, and say to yourself, "wow, this is really spartan", there is a reason. You have to "accessorize" the CRV to a tune of $1000 to make it as refined looking as the base Forester.

Here is a table of what is missing in the CRV LX, with Honda's MSRP as well as street numbers for each accessory. Note that you would have to spend your weekend installing these, as labor is extra:

Honda Accessory Honda MSRP Street Price
    Roof Rack $262 $208.75
    Security System $228 $170.00
    Fog Lights $329 $248.75
    Cargo-Area Cover $189 $143.75
    Metallic Trim Kit $199 $148.75
    Total $1207 $920.00

In addition to these standard Forester X items, I have the following options installed, and still came in below what a base CRV LX sells for. It would take another $400 to make the CRV LX equivalent:

Honda Accessory Honda MSRP Street Price
    Auto Day/Night Mirror $279 $215.00
    Front Splash Guards $63 $38.75
    Cargo Tray $105 $78.75
    Rear Bumper Cover NA NA
    Chrome Exhaust Finisher $29 $18.75
    Cargo Net $42 $31.25
    Total $518 $382.5

So all in all, the Forestor really is a "best buy", and those smart enough to not cave in to "herd mentality" and opt for a CRV, will be more than rewarded by the Forester's "fun" drivability factor :D .
    To CRV's credit, it does come standard with an engine immobilizer, so that kind of negates the standard alarm on the Forester, to me. CRV has more interior room and also stability control, though stability control may not be needed as much on the Forester, since Forester still has a better rollover rating than the stability-equipped CRV. CRV also has 4-wheel disc brakes with Electronic Brake Distribution - Subaru requires you to step up another $2800 to the X Premium, to get 4-wheel discs and EBD. Which they'd make that standard. Forester seems to have the advantage in every other way.

Particularly with the current $2000 rebate on the X, you're right - Forester is by far the best buy, and has the lower insurance rate, too. If you got that vehicle for $5000 off the $23,867 MSRP, for a price of $18,867, you got a truly amazing deal! To the best of my knowledge, that's under dealer cost (invoice minus $750 holdback?)! Not sure where they're making a profit on that one.
    I test drove the CRV 4WD and it did not appeal to me. It did not handle as well as the RAV4 or Forrester (I thought), so did not feel as comfortable driving it. Forrester and RAV had nicer interior, too, each in a different way. Overall, Forrester is "rugged and outdoorsy" while RAV is "refined and smooth". And CRV was just bland. I also did not like the steering-column-mountered gear shifter. Reminds me too much of American cars!

So now it's back to the RAV4 vs Forrester. It seems like RAV4 is a step above in refinement, and has some nice safety features – vehicle stability control, brake assist, and side curtain airbags. Still, the price difference between the two is $3,500 which makes it very difficult to make a decision. Forrester can be had under invoice, while RAV4 is about $1,000 over.

I’m comparing Forrester X auto (options: auto-dimming mirror, bumper protector, all-weather mats, cargo tray, splash guards) with RAV4 4WD 4-cyl (options: side curtain air bags, alloy wheels, roof rack, floor/cargo mats, cargo cover).
    Wait 5-6 months and the RAV4 will be down to around invoice pricing. It's still very fresh and initial demand is high. Avalong prices were the same way, now they're down to earth.

-juice
    yes, BUT -- we kind of want the car now! And the Forrester deal will go away soon, so we are still deciding.
    "Still, the price difference between the two is $3,500"

If you take the $3500 and step up to the XT premium, it's a different vehicle. Have you considered the XT? You might as well compare vehicles in the same price range.
    Do you mean Forrester X Premium or Forrester XT Limited (turbo)? There's no Forrester XT Premium.

On these two, X Premium (automatic) invoice is 24.1K (23.1K with rebate). XT automatic invoice is $26.7K ($25.7K with rebate), and this vehicle is more comparable with RAV4 V6 4WD Limited. Yes, the X Premium in comparable in price with the RAV4 I’m considering, but it includes the options I don’t really care much about like the moon-roof or CD changer. So I don’t think it helps me to make a decision!!

What makes the base X model such a deal is the 2K rebate plus the dealer’s desire to move it off he lot, so that they are willing to sell below invoice.

I think the other poster is right; Toyota has always had the ability to bypass deep discounts and rebates, and with a new “hot” vehicle they have even less incentive to do so. Bad timing, I guess.
    They'll probably offer a new deal on the Forester when this one expires. The best time to buy an '06 will be right when the '07 arrives. You will have less selection, but that is when prices hit their year-long lows.

Although...prices for the 06 are about as low as they got for 04 and 05 models, so if you like it, go for it.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.