Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Owners Meet the Members

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,759
    Of course...How could I make such an error. I forget...Is it the silver or the red that is faster?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Silver. =)
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    Red.

scooted past a snail's pace silver - earlier.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Remeber the Delorean? The fastest speed is NO color...
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Red

:D
    Silver!

And less filling while we're at it.
  • chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 3
    Just got my '04 silver CR-V 2 weeks ago. So far so good.
    Just wondering if anyone has tried to put seat covers on their car. I'm somewhat untidy & went to the local guy who tells me he can't do the job because of the seat adjusters & air bag placement. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Chuckles
    Welcome to Edmunds and congrats on your new CR-V.

Seat covers won't work because the side airbags deploy right through a seam in the fabric (right in the side bolster). The stitching that holds the seam together is intentionally weakened by cutting it with a laser just enough to allow it to give way when the airbag pops out.

There is a manufacturer of leather seats that has designed a product to accomodate these airbags. These are likely to be a bit more expensive than seat covers, but I find leather easier to clean than fabric.
  • smokehammersmokehammer Member Posts: 2
    Hello Karen, I'm Bill and own a '03 CRV LX "Kansas Dust Beige" and love it!
    My wife Trish uses it mostly during the day for city parking meter patrol - so it's no always getting enough hiway miles to keep the oil clean-er!
    We tend to drive mostly 500- 1000bn mile trips to Minneaplois/NY state during the year.
    BUT, I will say this: it sure handles more tightly than the old '99 Blue we had!

Smokehammer
    You'd be surprised how many times cars are damaged in transit, then the dealer has the whole thing repainted. This is legal, and they don't have to tell the buyer about it. (I would not be happy.)

If these guys want you to buy a damaged vehicle, they had better be prepared to reduce the price. You did the right thing by walking away. These dings and dents will always happen, but maybe next time they'll be more careful with how they fix them.
  • mackiemackie Member Posts: 3
    ....and I've been reading for about a month now...Finally decided to join the discussion today. I have a 2004 CRV-EX, AT, Chianti Red and I LOVE IT! I bought it in October of last year after my '99 Galant got smashed. The Galant did its job in terms of protecting me, but after that I decided I wanted a bigger car. I was very happy to go back to Honda, as I had an '89 Honda Accord hatchback for 11 years. It was my first car and I still miss it!

I don't do a lot of driving so I only have about 4700 miles on it so far. Unfortunately, I got my oil change too early, but all went well with that. I go to my own mechanic and he is aware of the situation with the fires. I trust him implicitly.

I'm looking forward to being able to ask questions of you all and hopefully, respond to some, too.

Thanks,
    Mackie in NY
    Welcome to Edmunds!
  • bostonbuddybostonbuddy Member Posts: 11
    Yeah, I'm the fussy one who didn't want to deal with the dealer who claims the 2004 CRV I bought got "vandalized" or "hit" depending on who you talked to. I went to another dealer, got a 2005, same color, and only $500 more than I was going to pay for the 2004. The Dealership is new and very friendly. They are located between Boston and Worcester in Wesboro. They were attentive and couldn't have been nicer. My first new car was an Accord with the pop-up headlights. I loved that car and it lasted me 13 years with hardly any problems. I next got a New Beetle (Big mistake!) I hardly ever drove it but everytime I did drive it something was wrong with it. (I heard VW's are supposed to be driven hard) So now I'm onto a CRV. Hello all.
    Welcome to the cult...err... forums.

I'm in the Boston area, as well. Bought my 1999 CR-V at Clair Honda. Bought my wife's 2001 3.2TL at Boston Acura. I've done lots of "faux" car shopping in the area now (love to test drive), and found both good and bad experiences in all the local dealerships. Now I have both cars serviced at an independent.

You'll have to bring that 2005 to the next Honda SUV Olympics!
  • jlim1jlim1 Member Posts: 50
    I have a 2001 Honda Civic. Great car, up until winter with lots of slippery snow; that's when I wish this lightweight car is more sure-footed. I am interested in the CR-V. My question: how does CR-V drive in snow? I have no experience driving with 4WD but I heard it's only good to get one out from a ditch. Any feedback with past/current experience (especially those who gets as much as snow like I do here in Midwest) is appreciated. How about the VSA, recently included in the 2005MY? Any help from this feature? Thanx.
    I have no experience driving with 4WD but I heard it's only good to get one out from a ditch. Any feedback with past/current experience (especially those who gets as much as snow like I do here in Midwest) is appreciated.

The RT4WD works great in snow, ice, and rain. My '99 CR-V has performed very well during the time I've owned it: 3 years in Rochester, NY and 3 years in Indianapolis, IN.

:)
    RT4WD will do more than just get you out of a ditch. But there are limitations to the design (or any AWD system, for that matter). For one thing, they are only good if you have your foot on the gas. As soon as you move it to the brake, the traction advantages of AWD disappear.

For 2005, Honda has added both VSA and TC (Traction Control).

Traction control will help the front wheels keep you moving. Like AWD, it helps keep you moving forward.

VSA works even when you don't have your foot on the gas. If the car begins to slide, this system brakes individual wheels to counteract the skid and thus keep you pointed in the direction you want to go. Very good stuff.

Jeez, Racoon. It's been three years since you moved out west. Time is getting away from me. Seems like only a few years ago we were scrambling around the Allegheny back trails.
    Jeez, Racoon. It's been three years since you moved out west. Time is getting away from me. Seems like only a few years ago we were scrambling around the Allegheny back trails.

Time really is getting away from you!! It's been less than two years since I moved. Allegheny was a lot of fun and a lot of good memories. And since it's only about 6 hours from here, if you plan another trip there I just may show up!

:D
    Before I would dump my Civic for a CR-V, I'd try some winter tires on it...

My CR-V has traction to get through the snowy stuff, but I sure wouldn't describe it as "sure-footed"..

I actually feel more in control with my wife's RWD sedan with winter tires, when on slick roads..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• markiebeefmarkiebeef Member Posts: 8
    just picked up a new crv 2005 pewter se. got a great deal at 22,895 plus 6.5 tax.destintion included. we just had a foot of snow here in chicago and the se handled it very well ,the car has a nice feel but in my opinion the seats could be made a little better,on a bumpy highway with the drivers side inclined i can feel my lower back give and bounce in the lower half of the seat .the drivers right side armrest is too high and the v definitely has a little road noise at 70 mph . other than those few beefs the car is fine. hope i have as good luck with my crv as i have with my toyotas. keeping my fingers crossed.
    Congratulations!! I saw an SE in Pewter just the other day.. Very nice looking.. I think it would be my first pick..

I'm not wild about the seats either.. but they've been like that since the first generation in '97..

Hope your luck with it has been as good as mine.. Two CR-Vs and over 100K total miles between them.. and zero problems....

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• weezeeweezee Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'm a new member here. My wife and I own a 2002 Honda CRV.. We presently have 65,000+ miles on our CRV and we're getting mailing from local Honda dealers that promote replacing timing belt and even replacing all the belts including the timing belt and water pump...(?) Of course, the dealers are running "specials" but for whom are they special?

I'd like to know at what what mileage should I replace the timing belt and should I replace all of the belts plus the water pump at the same time..(?)

Right now the dealers are pricing timing belt replacement only at $275 to $300... to replace all belts and the water pump, excluding seals (?),

the going price they're charging is $575 to $600.

I just read on line that one "expert" suggests timing belt replacement @ 60,000 miles... I'm considering doing it soon because we're planning to drive to Florida twice this year...a 1500 mile round trip. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Weezee
    Your owners manual will provide the recommended service interval for the timing chain. I think it's about 110,000 miles. Other belts should be checked on a regular basis, but the manual will also give a set mileage for them to be replaced.
    They still haven't adjusted to the lengthened service intervals that Honda recommends for the 2.4 litre engines...

I recently went in for my 40K mile checkup.. They still list it as 37,500 mile checkup..

I also have an '02, but I'd have to check my manual, as I'm not anywhere close, yet.. But, if they are recommending services on the same interval as an '02 Civic, then take it with a grain of salt... and go by the manual..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My wife and I own a 2002 Honda CRV.. We presently have 65,000+ miles on our CRV and we're getting mailing from local Honda dealers that promote replacing timing belt

The 2002 CR-V 2.4 L engine doesn't have a timing belt, it has a timing chain. Check the maintenance sections of your Owners Manual, but I don't believe Honda has a recommended service interval for timing chains.

The 1st Gen CR-V 2.0 L engines have a timing belt, which Honda recommends changing at 105,000 miles or 7 years (whichever comes first).

I recently went in for my 40K mile checkup.. They still list it as 37,500 mile checkup..

The title should be "Some Honda service departments..". The dealer I go to has no problem with the service interval differences between our '99 CR-V (3,750/7,500 miles) and our '02 Civic Coupe (5,000/10,000 miles).

• dcchrisdcchris Member Posts: 2
    Hello Everyone! I am the proud owner of a 2005 EX 5spd Auto in Redondo Red Pearl. It is one SHARP lookin' vehicle with the exterior upgrades for 05. I've only had it since Jan 05 and have already put almost 5k miles on her. Well I got her a K&N Air Filter to see if I could improve the performance as well as the gas mileage. The performace has indeed gone up. Step on the gas just a little harder to pass somebody and she downshifts and takes off like a rocket! However, I'm struggling to get above 20MPG mixed highway and city driving. Anyone know why? I don't bolt from stop light to stop light and I don't drive exceedingly fast (75MPH on the freeway at MAX!). Has anyone else noticed this? Is it because she's still relatively new? I figured with the K&N as well as the 5spd auto she'd do pretty good. Not what I was hoping for. But if the gas mileage is the only complaint I have, that's fine by me. I LOVE THIS CAR!!
    In town acceleration will take it's toll. Try a gentler touch on the pedal (both brake and acclerator). I can't really touch on more specifics, since I own a 2003, which has a different transmission.
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    dcchris, I have Ex 5 sp ('04) and my mileage improved - I have 12K on her now. I have had a couple tanks as low as 20-21 mpg, but generally do much better. Winter seems to take a toll on the mileage, may it be due to additives in the fuel. When I'm on the highway, I try to keep it 60-65 to get the best mileage.

It sure is a great car - I have the Chianti Red - not sure how close in color that is to yours
    " I have Ex 5 sp ('04) and my mileage improved - I have 12K on her now. "

Huh? The 5 speed tranny came out in the 2005 model...
    Not on the EX.. I think that is the only 4WD model that comes with standard-shift in '05.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Oh, you have a Manual Transmission. EX has always been one with the MT option, as far as I recall.
    Stick-shifting was added in 1998 just before the 146 hp engine in 1999. It was the base transmission for the LX 4WD and EX. The LX 2WD was automatic only.

That same packaging continued over with the 2002 remodel. In 2005, they dropped the 5MT from the LX trims. Now it is only available with the EX.

With both the auto and stick being 5 speeds, I think the way to refer to transmissions is with 5MT and 5AT, or 4AT for older models. That might help avoid any confusion.
    I kind of like either "auto" or "manual"...lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Which auto?
    Each model only comes with one choice, right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The point is... You'd have to state whether you're talking about a 1997-2004 model or a 2005 and then assume that the readers know the difference. If you just write 5AT or 4AT, there's no need for further explanation.
    Of course, if you write 4AT and don't specify the year of your EX, we still won't know...

This reminds me of the OTD pricing discussions.. Unless we can make every member read over the entire thread, we'll have to rely on their common sense... which means we could all be in big trouble... ;-)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bob05bob05 Member Posts: 27
    Hi folks;

I've been lurking for awhile and have decided to join in.

First, thanks to Varmint for hosting this forum and for all his useful information.

I bought an 05 FWD LX on 12/20 (manufactured in November). My 5 year-old princess named it "Honda Bob".

For those shopping, here are some first impressions:

The Ride: ...is beautiful. Our other car is an 04 Toyota Prius, which has the smoothest drive train I have ever driven...it simply purrs. But I must say that this Honda engine and tranny are every bit as smooth --I would almost think it was a continuously variable tranny. Driving it is real pleasure. I have bad lower back, and I find the support down there to be great.

Mileage: first, I must tell you that this has been a harsh winter here in Boston...very cold Jan-Mar with lot's of snow and ice at commuting time. Still, over 12 tanks of gas since Dec, I averaged 22.4 (about 66% surburban and 33% highway). Today, I took my first "all highway" drive --the temp now beautifully in the 40s--and I came in at 27.5 on that tank!

I attribute this to the driving habits I've learned with the Prius (which did 52 mpg this last week): coast to stops; ease out from stops; and keep to 30-35 mph in the suburbs; use hills to save gas (going down of course); keep to about 65 on highways.

Practicality: Honda Bob replaced a '96 Dodge Grand Caravan --we have four kids. We were looking to downsize as the kids got older (fewer "all family" trips), but couldn't bring ourselves to pay for a Highlander, but on the other hand also found the RAV 4 and Forrester too small. Our experience so far is that finding the CRV to fit our "niche" was exactly right. The kids are comfortable, and we still have lots of cargo room (for example one cello and one baritone horn on music day at school).

Drift and Pull. It doesn't pull, but then again it drifts pretty strongly (have read Varmint on this). I may have it aligned, or it may be my imagination. Until I read these threads, I didn't pay attention, but on my drive to Hartford today I noticed that they have indeed crowned the roads very steeply at center here. In fact, in a 3 lane road (Mass Pike or I-84), they have overlapped the center lane pavement halfway into the left and rightmost lanes. Especially since I am new to an SUV, this give the strong feeling of leaning left or right, depending where you are.

This is already long. Again, thanks to moderators here. I enjoy it.

Honda Bob
  • to4ecrvto4ecrv Member Posts: 2
    hello all. i would like to introduce my self my name is Jose and i live in miami florida. i recently purchased an 04 cr-v with 7k miles on it and wanted to get more knowledgable with this fine suv . i drive for fedex on weekdays and limo's on the weekends and let me tell you this little crv feels like a limo ,smooth ,soft and very comfortable . i love this car , hopefully i might get the bug to start modifying my crv like i did with my 84mazda rx7 which is now turbo and about 15k in upgrades. just wanna see what there is out there for the crv
    jose vela
    Enjoy the forums.

Bob5 - I'm in the Boston suburbs. Depending on how obsessive you get, you might find the local Honda SUV events entertaining. The Honda SUV Olympics is the one that I organize. It probably won't happen this year, but next year is a good bet.
    Thanks Varmint,

I may just take you up on the Olympics...I'll watch.

At some point I may ask about quality of service around Boston. I got mine at the large-volume dealer in Burlington, and I didn't enjoy the sales experience...that pesky dealer processing fee....but that's no guide to service, and the latter have been good to me in other ways.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying these first 40F+ days in Boston...vacuumed out Honda Bob last Friday.

Bob
    These are the guys who work on my CR-V and my wife's Acura.

http://www.mymastermechanic.com/
  • hollywood_jbhollywood_jb Member Posts: 1
    ANyone know where I can get some snow chains for my CRV? the tires are 205-70-R15's and I have not been able to find any one who makes chains in this size. I've been to Kragen's (i live in N. California) and several websites. Zip, Zilch, Zero.

Any help would be great!
    At the risk of stating the obvious... Have you tried looking for "cables", rather than chains? I know of an owner in CT who purchased cables for a 2003 model. Sorry, I don't know where she got them. :-(
  • bigeauxbigeaux Member Posts: 46
    Bought a 2005 LX FWD last night. Sahara sand metallic exterior, ivory interior with after-market leather, roof rack cross bars, and wheel locks.

VITAL STATS:

Me: Engineer
    Wife: Law student
    Other car: 99 Civic LX
    CR-V's name: don't have one yet
    Kids: none
    pets: two cats, one 58 lb boxer mix, one fish

What we like about the CR-V:

It's the best value we found in the small SUV market for our needs. It's spacious, has lots of storage, and comfortably seats five. But it still fits well in an urban environment without off-street parking. The gas mileage is good for the class. The acceleration, braking, and handling are all pretty decent. The standard safety feautures are hard to match for the price in class. We love the Honda reliability and resale value.

Honestly, I think the perfect vehicle for us would have the CR-V space and layout, the Forrester's performance and fuel economy, the Equinox's clever cargo area shelf, and the Hyundai warranty. When someone puts that on the market for what I just paid, I'll buy two.

Until then, the CR-V is the best fit.

Thanks to everyone who has been posting all the useful info here at Edmunds, and elsewhere. It's been very useful to us as we made our decision.

Looking forward to many happy years on the road in our CR-V.
    Congratulations. You'll love the car. Sounds like you got a great deal too...read over on the buying board.

I can't remember what msrp/invoice on the cross-bars is....did you compare to after market?

Have fun with it.

Bob
  • bigeauxbigeaux Member Posts: 46
    Invoice on the cross bars is $240. MSRP is $262 + installation. Got quotes as high as $337 installed.
    I got cables for my 2003 CR-V ... from the Toyota dealer!
  • bettyabettya Member Posts: 2
    I am hoping that someone in this Forum can help with this problem. I have a 2003 CRV (automatic) which intermittently jams or gets stuck when shifting gears. It will be fine for 2 months and then will not shift out of park or drive. It will then be ok again for weeks!!! It has been back to the Dealer four times. The first time, the dealership had the nerve to suggest that some women didn't know that the shift had to be pulled down to the left before the downward motion!!! The next time they replaced the whole shift mechanism. The last 2 times (the last of which I made them tow it from my driveway) they claimed nothing came out on tests and that they could not replicate the problem!!! Before resorting to legal action, I am asking all if anyone has heard of this...does anyone have advice? Thanks :(:(
This discussion has been closed.