Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Owners Meet the Members

124»

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Well.. you may have a problem I can't diagnose, but I'll have the nerve to make a suggestion...lol.

When you come to a stop, with your foot still on the brake, engage the parking brake, then (foot still on the brake), shift your car into park. When you release your foot from the brake, your car should not roll or move (even six inches).

When starting the car, put foot on brake, shift car into gear, then release parking brake..

This keeps the transmission from doing the job that the parking brake is intended for...

This might help.. if it doesn't, then there may truly be something else wrong with your transmission or shifter.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bettyabettya Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply--I have tried doing essentially what you suggest--still a problem. This am, I started car and it would not shift out of Park. Yesterday, things were perfect. Honda denies a transmission problem !! Regards, bettya :cry:
  • vootrunnervootrunner Member Posts: 3
    Hello... Vootrunner here which I borrowed from the Johanan Vasquez's cartoon "Invader Zim". Actually that is my 2001 Kia Rio, but this is for my newly purchased 4/23/05 Honda CRV EX 4WD for my wife. I am new to forums so you may have to direct me a bit.. I appreciate the help in advance. ;)

It is almost 24 hours since we drove off the lot and the XM "ready" radio is kind of bumming me out. It appears from wandering around the net tonite that not only is this XM "NOT ready", but if I want to use the existing CD 6 disc in dash system, I have to get Honda to put the system in? Tell me that this is not true.. If so, my naivete is once again at play. And $600-700 for that installation? I knew I was forgetting something in my dealing for a lower price.... :cry:

looking for advice, sympathy, anything to put my mind at ease... I didn't really care if it came with XM or not, but my wife was kind of hoping for it... :D

ON a positive note.. tell me I made the right purchase instead of the Kia Sportage.

thanks
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    the XM "ready" radio is kind of bumming me out.

There have been a lot of comments and discussion about this. Honda's XM receiver is over priced, but it has the elegance of operating through the headunit so that you don't have an add on module hanging on your dash.

There are other options. There's at least one company making a wiring adapter for the Honda headunit that will allow you to add auxiliary inputs so that you can attach a more reasonably priced XM or Sirius receiver. Of course then you'd have to find a place to mount the receiver so you can see it's display.

tell me I made the right purchase instead of the Kia Sportage.

You made the right purchase decision. While the Sportage is very attractive in terms of price and features, it's still a Kia. Their reliability is starting to improve, but they're still not up to the standard of American made vehicles, let alone in the same class as Honda or Toyota. I'm sure you'll enjoy your CR-V for many years to come.
  • jsalzjsalz Member Posts: 28
    How many keys(remote and regular) did you guys get with your CR-V??? Does anyone know how much a remote key costs from the dealership? Thanks!
  • mafernamaferna Member Posts: 83
    You should get three, as the owner's manual says.
    Two remotes and one valet key.
  • jsalzjsalz Member Posts: 28
    Thanks a lot. I think the dealer is trying to pull a fast one on me. Glad to know it says it in the owner's manual.
    I appreciate both comments on the XM head unit and the decision on buying the CRV as opposed to the Sportage... :)

I think I am going for the head unit and accessory package which will run me about $330 and have Best Buy or Circuit City install it.. After investigating other boards.. purchasing from Honda and installing it there will run me from $600 to $1000. And yes .. with the on the wheel audio controls.. and everything else already installed, it appears to be the only intelligent way to put the XM into the vehicle. :D

thanks again
  • dcontarddcontard Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks,

I just returned from a honda dealer to purchase the CR-V EX for my wife as a second auto. I walked out of the dealership with a total price of $22,517 for the 2005 model.

Question?

I did not sign any financing arrangements nor was I offered to purchase an extended warranty, :confuse: I will pick-up the auto in 2 days. Does any know if at that time Honda will pressure me into purchasing extended warranties, accessories, etc.

Any info would help, as I just feel the "other shoe is about to drop"
    Thanks
  • red927red927 Member Posts: 118
    You will probably be asked by the Finance Department/Salesperson when you pick up the car. That's the way it worked for me on Saturday when I got my 05 CR-V. If you aren't interested in the extended warranty, just decline it and have them move on to the next subject. As far as financing goes, it is helpful to have a back-up plan in case their terms are not acceptable. I applied to HSBC Auto Finance online and was approved for 5.25% for up to 60 months in a matter of minutes. The sent the blank check by overnight mail and I had it the next morning.

The price you paid, did that include sales tax? I paid $22,267 plus tax in New Jersey on Saturday.

Phil
    Phil,
    Thanks for the info. The price I paid was 22517 not incl. NYS sales tax. I used the AAA car buying program, no haggling. I was shown the invoice for the CR-V (which matched both Edmunds and Consumer Reports pricing) and was told that with AAA, members pay $250 above invoice - so I bought the auto.

Thanks again and enjoy tour CR-V

dcontard
  • bowled_overbowled_over Member Posts: 16
    I purchased a new Honda CR-V. The dealer tried to push the benefits of sthg called Auto Butler Vehicle Protection Program which includes applying 10 six monthly applications of paint sealant and fabriguard (no leather) over five year period for $800 upfront.

Based on previous owners experiences, do any of you use such a protection, is it really required and is it really good (value for $800)
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    applying 10 six monthly applications of paint sealant and fabriguard

Is $800 a reasonable amount to pay them for waxing your car every six months and spraying a protectant on your seats?

My suggestion is to wash and wax your own car, and buy a couple of cans of ScotchGuard to spray on the interior.

JM2C
    I can't see spending $800 for someone to wax and Scotchguard my CR-V - I could do it myself for a fraction of the cost.
  • coltanocoltano Member Posts: 1
    Hey...did you find a company that makes the necessary accessory cable and tuner to enable your "XM" radio in the CR-V

Coltano
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Scary!!

See.. I like to just imagine what everyone else looks like... Isn't this the internet? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Sorry about that. I told Karen I couldn't find a picture of Brad Pitt standing anywhere near a Honda, so they had to deal with an actual photo of me. :surprise:
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Brad Pitt....pffft. Looks aren't everything. I bet he knows next to nothing about his vehicle. Of course, if Angelina is in it, I doubt he would care. ;)
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    that photo doesn't look that much like the in-person you.
    hi... sorry i did not answer this sooner but I havent been getting updates from the forum and guess i may not have had my settings on the correct way.. I got a XM tuner and antenna (i thought the antenna was on the CRV too.. but was wrong) from handa.com accessories.. i guess it was a bit cheaper than getting it at a dealer, however, after the Best Buy installation was pushing $600... my wife likes it though.. and since then.. have gotten one for my kia rio... :D
  • marksjmarksj Member Posts: 11
    Hi all hoping i am in the right spot.We just puchased a 06 4wd Lx for $19,900 plus tax and title on 12/10/05.We love it so far.I think we are in for a lot of snow so it looks to be a good purchase so far..
  • dapaperboydapaperboy Member Posts: 10
    Greetings, folks.

My wife and I just picked up our 2006 silver moss metallic EX (800 under invoice; 2500 under sticker). When we first saw this particular one, it still had the white plastic protectors. It had just come off the transport with 8 miles on it. Well, about an hour after leaving the dealer, it's up to 70-plus. We're excited. First Honda, first SUV.

I know it's a brand new car, but we took it on the highway, and we were wowwed by the smooth ride. Effortless acceleration, even for a V4. If Honda comes out with a V6 in 3 years, I may want one for myself (this one is the wife's).
  • griffphotogriffphoto Member Posts: 2
    Hey group,

I'm a new CR-V owner, silver 2002 LX w/47000 miles. This is a great vehicle! Plenty of get up and go, nice ride and all my photo gear fits in the back without the seats going down. No mods or additions yet but window tinting is in the very near future. Glad I found ya'll and hope we'll talk again soon!

Philip

Birmingham Alabama :D
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Effortless acceleration, even for a V4.

Here we go again.:-) V4 is a motorcycle engine, not a car engine. Not to burst a bubble, bur Honda does not offer V4's in any of its cars. Not even the smallest Dunk (3 cyl turbo). I think you meant I4 :-)
  • dapaperboydapaperboy Member Posts: 10
    Pardon moi...I-4 :P
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Here we go again. :) The sphincter police keeping everything on the up and up.

Ok, new owner, 2006 CR-V EX with 5 speed manual transmission. Silver Moss.

3rd Honda. Have owned 2 Odys. Currently an 04 EX-L.

Very impressed with the CR-V so far. Just enough vehicle for me and the family and economical to operate.

TB
    Congrats! An EX 5MT in Silver...perfect. I miss mine from time to time. :cry:
  • hondahoundhondahound Member Posts: 2
    Stumbled on to your site here, didn't know that a CR-V forum even existed. But it's a good idea. We've got a 1997 and a 2002 CR-V that we both like very much. My company car is an '05 Escape. Not a bad car, rather comfortable. But the Hondas got them beat for quality and fit for sure. Any Honda CR-V experts reside in this forum? I've got a few questions.
    Congrats! An EX 5MT in Silver...perfect. I miss mine from time to time.

It's OK Varmint, you can drive mine at the meets. I'll let you drive mine at the Olympics if you organize this year. :-)
    First year offerings for both designs!

I hesitate to call myself an expert, but go ahead and post your questions.
    Ya know, I just got an e-mail from Criana. Gotta feed her some ideas so we can get the olympics meet started.
    Ya know, I just got an e-mail from Criana. Gotta feed her some ideas so we can get the olympics meet started.

She asked me on Saturday if I knew of your whereabouts. Told her that you were active on Edmunds :-)
  • joeyd2joeyd2 Member Posts: 12
    I bought a 2000 ex new. After 90,000 trouble free and fun miles, I traded for a pewter pearl 2006 se. I have owned many different cars and this is first time I went with the same manufacture. You could call me one happy Honda owner.
This discussion has been closed.