Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Owners Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• lorelei2lorelei2 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone have any experience with and/or any recommendations for rooftop cargo boxes on the CRV? I'd like to increase my cargo capacity for an upcoming camping trip. ANY input would be greatly appreciated.
  • jgreerjgreer Member Posts: 31
    Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2005 CR-V EX and have never owned a vehicle with the spare on the back.

I'm a little concerned about the spare being stolen (I only have a soft cover).

My question is: What can I do/buy to prevent my spare from being stolen (the whole range please)?

Also, is there a high probability that someone will try to steal it?

Thanks,

Greer
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    My question is: What can I do/buy to prevent my spare from being stolen (the whole range please)?

Also, is there a high probability that someone will try to steal it?

Buy the Honda Wheel Locks. It's a set of five locks, one for each wheel and the spare. As to whether someone would steal the spare, It depends on where you live.

(use your imagination to insert a non-car smiley here)
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd recommend the same thing I did a few posts back - buy a hitch and cargo basket.

The CR-V's roof is rated for 75lbs of evenly distributed cargo. The Thule and Yakima roof-mounted cargo boxes weigh about 35 lbs, leaving you with 40 lbs for cargo.

The CR-V's hitch is rated for 150 lbs. A hitch basket weighs about 45 lbs, leaving you with about 100 lbs of capacity. I bought a $15 rubbermaid container to mount on the hitch basket.

When I priced out mine, the hitch and cargo basket came to about $100 less than a Thule rack system and cargo box. On the one hand, the hitch basket gets in the way of the door. On the other, I don't have to load cargo way over my head.
  • lorelei2lorelei2 Member Posts: 8
    You sound like my husband. He's all for the hitch set-up (we have one we used with our 4-Runner) but I don't want to set myself up for not being able to use the back door easily. Oh well. Thanks for the insight, that's what I was looking for.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Varmint -

Does that 100-150 lbs. hanging off your tail affect the handling much?
  • tabcourttabcourt Member Posts: 18
    Saw the posts about dedicated racks for specific tasks(bikes,sjis, etc.). How about a suggestion for a "general cargo" rack? Go with the Honda brand? Can the installation be do-it-yourself?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Never had one before. Got the vinyl cover. Do I have to beware of wasps/hornets getting under the cover and building a nest there or around it? Does moisture get under it and do nasty things to the wheel? If so, should I remove the cover every now and then to dry out the wheel? Thanks,
    Mark
    Has anyone made this mod to the '05 EX? I'd prefer an in-dash unit because I think they generally look cleaner. I asked Crutchfield and they say there isn't an adapter to make the stock XM-ready radio accept a Sirius tuner (bummer). If someone has done the Sirius thing, can you describe what you've done? Which Sirius-ready in-dash radio did you choose? How do you route the mag-mount antenna? How obtrusive are the plug-and-play units? Thanks,
    Mark
    '05 EX Black
    Thinking of getting this accessory for my '05 EX. Anybody have it? Any reason not to get it? It's a mat with steel bars running through it for extra support. I lug around a lot of scuba gear and it's heavy (and wet).
    Before buying my '05 CR-V I was researching a Toyota Sienna. On an owners' board, I saw that there is a "hack" to get DRL's on a non-equipped Sienna. It involved placing a bridge into an empty fuse socket. Its was as simple as that.
    Is there (are there) any such hacks for the CR-V?

Note to administrator: Maybe this can be a new Category?
    I haven't heard of any. If you really want DRLs on your Honda then I'd get an aftermarket DRL kit and have it professionally installed.

JM2C
  • rob18rob18 Member Posts: 7
    Anybody tried to install aftermarket nerf bars/side steps? My short and pregnant wife has a hard time getting in.

Anybody have any brands that they installed and really liked. The dealer installed side steps (nerf bars) were too close to the body to be really functional.

I'd also like ones that would be cheaper than the $350 ones available at H & A.

Thanks
    I just bought an 05 LX CRV. Does the EX CRV have window tint on the front windows, or is it only on the rear and back windows?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Our 05 EX came with XM antenna mounted, you could probably use the same mouting location to mount the Sirius antenna.

The EX radio has CD/XM/AUX button, I would imagine that with inline adaptor you could hard wire the signal from the Sirius receiver to the stock radio. But when you consider the cost, it is cheaper the just buy an aftermarket unit with Sirius receiver and sell stock one on ebay. I have seen them fetch over $200.

If you are going to buy from Crutchfield, don't forget you can get $20 off if you are referred by an existing Crutchfield member. Ask me how.
    "Does that 100-150 lbs. hanging off your tail affect the handling much?"

Hard to say. I only use the basket when I have the vehicle loaded up. I can certainly feel the load, but I couldn't tell you whether it was due to the hitch basket, or the 100+ lbs of cargo inside the rig.

FWIW, prior to getting the hitch, I used the OEM roof rack to haul lots of stuff. I could definitely feel the impact of the air resistance and weight on the roof.
  • robg2robg2 Member Posts: 7
    Will the new style 2005 CRV headrest fit the 2002 CRV? I find that the rear headrest in the ‘02 stick up quite high and thus reduce rear visibility.
    I find that the original Honda wipers are very good, I just get new refills every 6mths, this way there is no streaking.... The new style wipers (one single unit), used on VW, BMW, MB look realy nice, and more and more manufactures are going with these.
  • hp95hp95 Member Posts: 1
    Wanted floor console DVD player for 2005 CRV.
    Any suggestions ? Since I have a sunroof I
    can not have an aftermarket DVD installed in the
    ceiling. I am open to having the LCD screens
    installed in the headrests but have found this option
    expensive.
  • journalboyjournalboy Member Posts: 7
    Is there a way for me to tap into the XM system already on my vehicle so I can use the portable XM MYFI unit?
    Is there a way for me to tap into the XM system already on my vehicle so I can use the portable XM MYFI unit?

There isn't an XM unit in your CR-V. The Honda headunit comes pre-wired to connect the Honda XM receiver, that's what Honda means by "ready". The Honda XM receiver mounts behind the left trim panel in the cargo area. Probably not a great location for a portable unit, and your unit most likely isn't plug-compatible with Honda's wiring harness.

There are companys that make adapters for the Honda headunit that will allow you to connect external devices, like your XM portable or an MP3 player. Just make sure you get one compatible with the 2005, as the 2004 and earlier head units are not the same and don't have the same plugs on the back. The current Accords have the same plugs as the 2005 CR-V.

Good luck.
  • jsalzjsalz Member Posts: 28
    How many keys(remote and regular) did you guys get with your CR-V??? Does anyone know how much a remote key costs from the dealership? Thanks!
    I'd like to install either Westin Sure Grip running boards or the OEM CRV running boards. I didn't really want to install the nerf bars since they didn't seem very functional to me.

For the people that have one of these two installed, can you please tell me about the quality of the product and how useful it is for climbing into the vehicle. My wife actually needs to them to help her get into the CRV.

Thanks
  • katinakatina Member Posts: 1
    have you tried the dynamat extreme? I'm interested in doing that myself.. I find alot of road noise in the 2005 crv LX
    Yes, I have applied it to sections of my 1999 CR-V. I lined the floor under the front seats up to the dash and also the four doors. I did not dismantle the whole interior and line the entire floor.

What I did decreased road noise a bit, but did not eliminate it. And while I consider the modification to be an improvement, the reduced road noise allows me to hear the engine roar clear as day. Out of the pan and into the fire.

The next step was to add a hoodliner above the engine, but that had very little impact. I stopped there.

Keep in mind, the 1999 CR-V suffered from both road noise and engine noise. Based on my drives in the 2nd generation CR-V, engine noise is not a significant concern. I expect that if you cover the doors and entire floor, you'll find significant improvement. You just can't go half-way like I did.
  • bigeauxbigeaux Member Posts: 46
    Got 3 keys: two integrated key/remotes, one valet key (key only, no remote).

Can't recall exactly what a spare remote key costs, but it ain't cheap. When you buy your CR-V, you should get a code that you can take to the dealer to program your new key for your car, if you need one. If you lose that, then you're really paying.
    Where do you buy this Dynamat?
    I believe I purchased mine from Crutchfield, but it's very common stuff. Just google it and I'm sure you'll find a dozen vendors.
  • shizzleshizzle Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 cr-v and i'm trying to take out the factory head unit. But I can't figure out how its supposed to come out. Can anyone help me out?
    I have a 1998 cr-v and i'm trying to take out the factory head unit. But I can't figure out how its supposed to come out. Can anyone help me out?

H and A Accessories posts the installation instructions for Honda accessories on their website. The one you want is: Single Disk CD Player, which includes instructions for removing the head unit. It takes awhile, maybe two hours to disassemble everything and then put it all back together.

Good luck
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    rob18, from what I've heard of the oem running boards, they can be noisy, but are good as a step up. I'm very pleased with the usefulness of my oem side steps, as a way for me to wash and detail the roof of the V, as well as a step up into the V for myself and little ones. They are very quiet (air flow not a problem).
  • gr8smile1966gr8smile1966 Member Posts: 13
    hp95:

I have an 05 SE with the sunroof, and the dealership installed a ceiling mounted dvd player that doesn't affect the sunroof. The only drawback is that when my son is watching the dvd player, I can't see out of the rearview mirror.

I hope this helps!
  • gr8smile1966gr8smile1966 Member Posts: 13
    Hi!
    Does anyone have any advice in regards to the cargo mats? I am looking at buying the genuine Honda cargo tray for my 05 SE, but I have found other makes that are more inexpensive. I have taken the advice of others on this forum and went with Lloyd's Rubbertite floor mats, but didn't get the cargo mat yet. My cargo area will be used to transport my 2 big dirty dogs, so I would like as much protection for the entire area (including the seat backs, walls and bumper lip) as possible. I would also prefer a waterproof, easy to clean material that will take the abuse of my dirty dogs' paws!! And, of course, a perfect fit!! Any products out there that fit this description?

Also-- does anyone know of a dog barrier that will install/remove easily with the cargo cover installed?? (also with a good fit)?
    Thanks for any advice!!
  • tc4alltc4all Member Posts: 5
    I am about to buy a 2005 CR-V. My only concern is the "rollover" factor. I thought if I could widen the wheel base with wider tires and or wheels this would help. Can this be done and will it help? Any suggestions for what size to change to would be appreciated. I don't want to make major changes to the vehicle or to make it not street legal.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Chances are... anything you do to the stock set-up will make it more unstable as regards to rollover...

The new '05 adds VSA (stability control) to what is already a very stable platform compared to most SUVs...

If the idea of rollover bothers you, you should probably stay away from SUVs altogether....

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I am about to buy a 2005 CR-V. My only concern is the "rollover" factor. I thought if I could widen the wheel base with wider tires and or wheels this would help. Can this be done and will it help? Any suggestions for what size to change to would be appreciated. I don't want to make major changes to the vehicle or to make it not street legal.

I think CR-V was rated the highest in governments static roll over test. If you are so concerned with roll overs you have 2 choices:
    a) take corners slowly and pay attention to what is going on the road, so that you don't have to swerve at the last moment.
    b) get a low slung car, or car in general.

Widenning the base can be acomplished with a different offset rims. But the more effective way to deal with roll over is to lower the center of gravity with a modfied suspension. This kind of defeats the purpose of having an SUV with ground clearance. I am still sticking with option b above.
    The CR-V was not rated the highest in the governments static tests. (The Pilot might have been at one point.) That said, the CR-V did fairly well in that test and, unlike the Ford Escape, it did not tip up onto two wheels during the dynamic test.

Most roll overs are caused when a vehicle is "tripped" after leaving the road. Single vehicle incidents where a vehicle rolls without hitting anything are not all that common. At least, they aren't any more common than other types of high risk accidents.

Generally, I agree with the above. Get a vehicle with a lower center of gravity. That's a much better choice than trying to mod a vehicle.
  • dcobbdcobb Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed the label "Aux" stenciled above the CD/XM button on the radio of the 2005 CR-V SE I am considering. Can anyone tell me what that it for? Is it possible that I might be able to use "Aux" to connect my iPod to the CR-V radio?
  • stuart22stuart22 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, Im new to the site and having trouble finding accessories for my 1999 CRV (black). Im looking for a rear spoiler, if anyone of you know a good site for them please let me know. Also looking for black taillights for it. Thanks
  • dds1dds1 Member Posts: 2
    Can somebody give me an idea which is the best GPS system that can I use for my 2005 CR-V? Thank you.
  • wrascalwrascal Member Posts: 25
    I really like my Garmin iQue (3600 I think). It's portable, as I use it in different vehicles. You will need the accessory power thing with a base, as it uses up the batteries very quickly (like less than an hours time).
  • chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone done any experimentation on tire pressures? I use the 26psi recommended in my owners manual. Is there a better option? Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I recently moved up to 29psi ('02 EX), and I like it a lot better.. No noticeable ride degradation, but better steering response...

You'll get answers all over the map.. Some of it may even depend on the tire you are running..

Just play around with it, and see what you think... As long as you use 26psi as the minimum, you should be okay..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dds1dds1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tip. I thought at TomTomGo,but I will check this one as well.
  • alon1alon1 Member Posts: 1
    Any idea whether the Thule Hitching Post Pro Hitch Rack - 4 Bike fits on the CR-V and if the spare tire leaves space for 4 bikes?
  • richcoloradorichcolorado Member Posts: 3
    I am purchasing a 2005 CRV-SE. Does anyone have any comments or input on the dealer installed subwoofer or tweeters? Does anyone recommend aftermarket choices? Is there a way to hook up a power amplifier via line outputs from the Honda head unit?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Using 35 PSI here. I prefer the ride - a bit more truck-like. And for me, it seems to handle better. But the latter is probably just my imagination...

It does ride better at lower PSI...
  • chitowncrvownrchitowncrvownr Member Posts: 6
    2005 CR-V, can someone supply me with the pin-out diagram or pin designations for the 20-pin AM/FM/Tape/CD head unit???

Thanks in advance!! :P ~Rob
  • fishhead41hfishhead41h Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 cr-v awd and was trying to find out if you can reprogram it to keep the air conditioner turned off while in the defrost mode????
  • raggtopraggtop Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2005 CR-V SE, Taffeta White w/Ivory leather. I had the optional center armrest installed and like the way it looks and works with two exceptions.

1) I'm a big boy and I have to raise the armrest up each time I fasten my seatbelt.

2) the color doesn't match worth a hoot.

There are basically two colors in the interior w/Ivory leather, the light color throughout the vehicle and the dark color on the dash. The armrest color is sorta "in between". Does this agree with anyone else's experience?

Also, I orderd the Kelton Bassworks sub woofer, just to keep everything factory. Was told by parts manager that the sub woofer would not be available until sometime in September due to it still being "under development" Anybody got the Kelton Bassworks sub woofer in a 2005? What's up with this?

Thank in advance for any input.