Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Owners Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I published that one in the FAQ thread. Might be easier to find than searching through back posts.

varmint, "Honda CR-V Owners: FAQ" #14, 19 Oct 2004 8:38 pm
    He won't have to search.. that is your post that I linked..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

...that you wouldn't have to search through back posts. :shades:

You managed to link to an old post in the problems and solutions thread. Sorting through the FAQ thread is much easier (only 17 postings, so far).
  • fishhead41hfishhead41h Member Posts: 5
    I just got done re programing my 2005 cr-v defroster,works just like you said it would!! THANKS!!! My honda dealer said they knew nothing about this and that honda did not support this information???? Do you think it will make any difference in proformence or MPG ????? Thanks Fishhead41h
  • fishhead41hfishhead41h Member Posts: 5
    Has anybody had CLEAR BRA installed to the hood and mirrors??
    How does it hold up ??
    Will it yellow??
    What did it cost??
    Hmm.. I didn't have to search.. I had it bookmarked.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

"My honda dealer said they knew nothing about this and that honda did not support this information????"

I was told that it's in the owner's manual. :confuse:
  • cpickcpick Member Posts: 21
    I got the Honda rack for my 05 CRV from HandA. Popped off the covers on the roof rails and tried to bolt on the racks-nogo. The bolts provided would drive in more than one turn. I think I have actually cleaned the paint out of the bolt sockets on the roof but still the bolts wont go in. anyone else get this prob? What to do?
  • patmpatm Member Posts: 13
    I was wondering if a trailer hitch mounted bike rack will work on my CR-V SE? It would probably need an extention of some sort to reach beyond the rear mounted spare. I can't lift my bike for a roof rack and I hate to put it inside my CR-V, it gets muddy, too much of a mess. Any ideas?
  • peterclaverpeterclaver Member Posts: 13
    varmit and the folks out there,

1. Is there any way to increase the fuel tank capacity - if yes, how ?
    2. 3rd row seats are an option in some asian markets, even though kinda tight. I came across littlepassengerseats.com - has anyone done this or has any advise?

any suggestions is appreciated.
    peterclaver
    That may depend on the manufacturer. I know that most offer a 2" to 1.25" adapter for receivers. This often adds a few inches to the distance between the vehicle and whatever is mounted on the hitch.

Do you already have a hitch?
    1. Not that I'm aware of. Frankly, gas tanks are touchy subjects with the NHTSA. They have guidelines and requirements for crash safety when it comes to how fuel is stored. I doubt aftermarket vendors would take on responsibility for modifications for that reason.

2. Never heard of that company. FWIW, they advertise that their products meet all federal guidelines. But you should know that those guidelines are something of a minimum requirement. The seats in many production vehicles are more than 2 times more resistant to collapse than the requirements. There's not a whole lot of space between the rear of the vehicle and a third row of seats. So, again, safety would be a concern for me.

BTW, the 3 row CR-Vs that were offered in parts of Asia were produced mostly so that Honda could take advantage of a loophole in the local tax laws. It allowed them to classify the CR-V in the same category as vehicles like the Suburban.

All in all, it sounds like you're trying to turn a CR-V into an Highlander or Pilot. I'd recommend just getting the larger vehicle.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I am purchasing a 2005 CRV-SE. Does anyone have any comments or input on the dealer installed subwoofer or tweeters? Does anyone recommend aftermarket choices? Is there a way to hook up a power amplifier via line outputs from the Honda head unit?

Tweeters are already in the car from the factory!!! Hopefully the dealer did not charge you for those. The sub can be had for a little over $200 from the internet parts dealers.
    I have noticed the label "Aux" stenciled above the CD/XM button on the radio of the 2005 CR-V SE I am considering. Can anyone tell me what that it for? Is it possible that I might be able to use "Aux" to connect my iPod to the CR-V radio?

You would have to get an iPOD adaptor specifically made for the 2005 Honda, the previous years won't work with 2005. Then you can control and charge iPOD from the radio and the radio display will read the tags.
  • jd27jd27 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for a good all around tire, that is relatively quiet,performs well under all conditions and is a good value. Can anyone refer my to some good options?
    Thanks
  • jcarp1jcarp1 Member Posts: 1
    I need a cargo cover for my '98 but Honda literature says the available one only fits 1999 thru 2001 and not 1997 or 1998. I have looked at a 2001 car and the rear side panels look identical to my '98. Even the width and length dimensions are the same. Has anyone installed a retractable cover in a '98; or can tell me why I can't?
    I need a cargo cover for my '98 but Honda literature says the available one only fits 1999 thru 2001 and not 1997 or 1998. I have looked at a 2001 car and the rear side panels look identical to my '98. Even the width and length dimensions are the same. Has anyone installed a retractable cover in a '98; or can tell me why I can't?

I have installed it on the 2001, and it is an involved process. If the panels are the same, I don't see why it would not work. Call the dealers that you will be buying it from and ask. Most likeley they will tell you that it can be installed, but the colors won't match. I think the 1997-1998 were a different shade of gray, and may have had two tone dash, while 1999-2001 were darker gray and had monotone dash.
    The color of the plastics probably explains why they specify model years for the cargo cover. Originally, the retractable models weren't even sold here in North America. A few importers started bringing them in from places like Australia. Eventually, Honda started to make them available through dealers.

For the 1997-1998 models, Honda sold a non-retractable cargo cover. It was simply a shade which could be put in place then folded out of the way. The cover did not roll up the way you would expect. Not sure if they even marketed it here in North America.
  • lp05lp05 Member Posts: 1
    We recently bought a 2005 EX and had the running boards installed. I regret getting it since it makes it more difficult to get in and out of the car. Also when it rains it collects the dirt which makes it difficult to keep clean.

I would definitely try it before you buy it.

I wish they had a 30 return policy.
  • dekoraidekorai Member Posts: 56
    I am looking for some advice on installing a remote car starter on my 2005 CRV. Should I/shouldn't I? Does it void the Honda warranty?
    I am in Albany NY and its cold in winter. Does anyone know of any reputable car shops I could do it around Albany? Or are there any kits I can buy on the Internet to give a car shop to install?
  • geno999geno999 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had window visors installed on their CRV? Do they serve any purpose?
  • chiefjschiefjs Member Posts: 39
    I have ordered a CRV with the window visors. I drove Ford Crown Vics (police cars) for many years with them and liked them. My wife's VW bug also has them and she likes them.

You can roll down the window a little even if it is raining, to get some fresh air.

I also think they look nice.
  • richcoloradorichcolorado Member Posts: 3
    We have a three week old 2005 CRV-SE. We had the dealer install the backup sensor accessory. While it does work, it also makes a very loud, annoying beep everytime the car is put into reverse. Does anyone know of a way to disable this without disabling the backup sensors themselves? The dealer does not know of a fix and has offered to remove the system. Of course that would leave some holes in the back of the car which they would have to plug up. Thanks, Rich
    We have a three week old 2005 CRV-SE. We had the dealer install the backup sensor accessory. While it does work, it also makes a very loud, annoying beep everytime the car is put into reverse. Does anyone know of a way to disable this without disabling the backup sensors themselves? The dealer does not know of a fix and has offered to remove the system. Of course that would leave some holes in the back of the car which they would have to plug up. Thanks, Rich

I was not aware of the back up sensor system having a beeper as well, but you can just look under the rear bumper, find the back up alarm speaker and clip the wires to it, I think.
    I have ordered a CRV with the window visors. I drove Ford Crown Vics (police cars) for many years with them and liked them. My wife's VW bug also has them and she likes them.

You can roll down the window a little even if it is raining, to get some fresh air.

I also think they look nice.

Are your windows fogging up? I noticed with all the Hondas I had that they are more prone to fogging than other cars. On a days when it is humid or raining and I have more than myself in the car, I have to have the defogger (with a/c) on, or windshield is not clear.
    I am looking for some advice on installing a remote car starter on my 2005 CRV. Should I/shouldn't I? Does it void the Honda warranty?
    I am in Albany NY and its cold in winter. Does anyone know of any reputable car shops I could do it around Albany? Or are there any kits I can buy on the Internet to give a car shop to install?

You can buy one at BJ's and install it your self. It comes with instructional video. I had the remote starter in Gen 1 CR-V. I specifically told the installer that I did not want him to clip wires, but rather use wiring harness adaptors. couple of months later I had to look under the dash for something, and what did I see? He clipped the wires to install the starter.

There is a guy on ebay that sells alarms and remote starters with wiring harness adaptors, so it is just "plug and play" installation. I like that, rather having some high school drop out clipping my OEM wiring harness. The one he is selling is the pager kind, once the car is started the LCD on the remote shows that it is running and if the alrm is triggered the pager informs you. The cost is basically the same as if you had a cheap system installed by a local shop ($250)

I had a Prestige (by Audiovox) it worked fine in the summer and some of winter, but on the coldest of the days, it would not even try to start the car. The remote keyless entry and alarm worked, but the remote starter would not work when it was bellow 0°F. Then the car was stolen while visitng family in NYC, so I never found out what was wrong with it.
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    depending on which model CR-V you purchased/are shopping for, I had the moonroof visor added to my EX. It is great to let some air in during inclement weather if you open the roof partially. (Or you can put roof in tilt position also, but I find that brings a bit more wind noise.)

I've never cared for the look of the window visors.
  • leviathonleviathon Member Posts: 3
    I bought a backup sensor for my my new car , a Honda CRV. It was a disaster. Avoid purchasing one unless you have inspected one first. It lets out a high pitch beep upon entering reverse. it also activates when you are 3 feet from an object which given its loud noise was not helpful. I pressed the dealership to disconnect and return my money to me. It took two visits and some emails but eventually they saw things my way. it was the the first CRV they installed which was louder than what they were used to. I had others with experience with sensors listen and they were also appalled by its noise. This system needs some rework to be useful. Even if the noise was lower it still costs to much for what you get. I paid over 500 for it. Some dealerships want as much as $1000 to sell and install. Once you purchase it they must drill holes in the bumper which can be a problem if you want to remove it. Overall a bad investment.
    I just posted my message about my experience. Initially they wanted to test another to see if it was better. I asked it be muffled or turned off. When they couldn't guarantee a solution and wanted me to pay for additional labor, I threatened them with the Consumer Protection Division. They then offered to swith bumper and remove the system for $140 (half labor price ) plus a refund. After I agreed to do that and returned it to them, they decided to give me a full refund and just disconnected it. They couldn't believe the noise either. its a bad product and not very useful. If you like the product you could try to get it muffled but i'd go for a full refund. Its a lousy product. I believe its in test mode and they need to hear alot of complaints form customers to get it fixed.
    No...Never had that problem with the visors.
  • richcoloradorichcolorado Member Posts: 3
    We are dealing with the same exact experience. The dealer has offered to remove it and to put plugs in the holes. While this might not look too bad on the black portion of the bumper it sure will look lousy on the gold part of our 2005 SE. Do not buy this item. You also cannot turn it off, which means forget using a bike rack. Rich
    I am thinking of buying one off ebay for $45 which just displays distance to the object in feet or meters. It comes with 4 sensors and an LED readout with red, yellow, green LED bar as well as distance readout. Not that I really need one, it is just neat for parking against walls, with the spare tire stickng out. CR-V is not tha big of a vehicle that it needs a back up sensor.
    I am picking up my CRV-SE with rear sensor tomorrow. I am having a lot of accessories installed and this is one of them.

When I saw these posts I called the sales manager and inquired about this problem. He told me he has not heard of any complaints and has been driving a Pilot with the rear sensor and did not find it too loud or annoying.

This is a big Boston area Honda dealership so if there were problems, they should have heard them.

I will let you all know tomorrow night.
    The noise in The Honda Pilot is not the same in the CRV. I live in the Seattle area.They installed previous sensors in other vechicles w/o this problem showing up. The CRV sensor is new.
    I called Honda Customer Service and they are not aware of any complaints or problems with the noise. They took my info and noted that I made an inquiry in case I find a problem with the system.

I guess I will find out tomorrow night.
    Thanks for the insight.....I will explore what you advised. Thanks again!
    I do not like the steel rims on my recently purchased 2005 Honda CRV LX 4wd - the wheels look straight out of cars made in the late 80s.I would like to replace the wheels with an alloy set. I am not looking for something expensive (is around $300 for a set of 4 doable?), just something which looks decent.

Any idea where I can start shopping on the Internet? Any idea how much someone charges to put the tires from my steel rims onto alloy rims? The Honda dealer quoted me $900 MSRP for a set of OEM wheels which I thought was overpriced when I purchased my CR-V three weeks back.
  • joey301joey301 Member Posts: 1
    really? That is the thing I am sorry that I did not get. I was hoping that my mother in law could get in easier, plus they look really cool.
    joey
  • wrascalwrascal Member Posts: 25
    Any idea where I can start shopping on the Internet? Any idea how much someone charges to put the tires from my steel rims onto alloy rims?

I solved this problem by going to The Tire Rack (online www.tirerack.com ) and ordering 4 (wish now I had ordered 5) of their JS1 wheels.

About a year and a half ago - they were $99 each, shipping was about $10 each, I think they look good. (I just checked, price still $99 each). Took about 6 weeks to fill the order as they were back-ordered.

I use Walmart tires and services, they swapped my original wheels to the new ones for about $4 each.

This was on my daughters 98 CR-V.
    Just picked up my CRV-SE today with the rear sensors.

Based on these posts I advised my dealer. Also, in another forum I was told the Honda tech put the speaker in bubble wrap to lessen the noise.

I told my salesman about this and their tech said he would take care of it.

I do not know exactly what he did, but the sound is not loud and annoying.

Also, my Pewter-Pearl CRV with chrome running boards, fender flares etc. looks BEAUTIFUL!!!
  • phungiphungi Member Posts: 1
    is this the same for the 2005 EX factory radio/CD changer? Mine is 5 days old and I am ready to install a jack for my iPod

re:
    I have noticed the label "Aux" stenciled above the CD/XM button on the radio of the 2005 CR-V SE I am considering. Can anyone tell me what that it for? Is it possible that I might be able to use "Aux" to connect my iPod to the CR-V radio?

You would have to get an iPOD adaptor specifically made for the 2005 Honda, the previous years won't work with 2005. Then you can control and charge iPOD from the radio and the radio display will read the tags.
  • nolefan1nolefan1 Member Posts: 17
    II'm trying the blast fax method to purchase a new 2005 CR-V SE. When I test drove one in person the sales person told me that the alarm was optional and was a dealer installed accessory. Therefore, when I sent out my spec sheets I requested pricing on an installed alarm. Most people ignored my request. One person told me that it came standard. One wanted to charge 500 installed. One told me I'd be better off getting an after market one. Can any tell me if the CRV-SE comes with an alarm standard? If so, why does the Honda website list it as a ~200 retail part option? Is this a good alarm? I'm starting to feel badly since I was a little rude to the sales people who ignored my request for alarm pricing. Thanks.
  • pandjpandj Member Posts: 2
    I know its not Rocket Science, but this 05 CRV being the first SUV I've had, I am a bit clueless how these Honda cargo nets are supposed to work in the back of my CRV. I just bought one and played with it a bit but it doesnt seem like I came up with the best ways to connect it up.
    Are there any written up directions for these things anywhere? Pictures are best ofcourse. I think they should come with some.
    I also just bought the weathertech cargo liner to also help keep items in place in back, but its on back order.
  • pandjpandj Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a backup sensor setup from ebay guy in canada with sound and or led display that shows distance. It was $30. I'll let you know how it goes when I get to install it next week. I have a 2005 CRV EX.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    My missus (5'1" with foot problems) has a challenge getting up and down from a CR-V because of the height. We're considering running boards, but she's apprehensive about slipping off them, especially when winter rolls around. Any suggestions, either for helpful hardware or technique? Thanks, all.
    Running boards, step bars, etc, etc.. Some work well, some are more cosmetic accessories.. The only way to be really sure, is to go try them out on a CR-V that already has them installed..

On many cars, they just get in the way, or get your pants dirty.... I had step bars on my Pathfinder, which is a lot bigger step up than my CR-V, and never used them once...

Technique? See if she can reach the grab bar above the door.. If she is strong enough, this can give her a lot of stability when entering or leaving the CR-V.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cpickcpick Member Posts: 21
    try craigslist.com if you live in a city with an active board, otherwise, ebaymotors. I think an accord wheel or other honda wheel will work-please confirm that!
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    The CR-V does _not_ come with an alarm. It does come with an "anti-theft device" that makes it theoretically more difficult to hot wire a CR-V. For the cost of the Honda alarm you can probably find a better after market alarm.

JM2C
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The CR-V does _not_ come with an alarm. It does come with an "anti-theft device" that makes it theoretically more difficult to hot wire a CR-V. For the cost of the Honda alarm you can probably find a better after market alarm."

Yeah, it comes with a smart chip. The car cannot be hot wired, in the traditional sense; the computer itself must receive the code in order for the engine to run. You can connect the wires all you want, but the engine will not run. That is pretty good protection.

Of course, someone with Honda dealer style equipment could tow the CR-V away and reprogram the keys, but that is not something that can be done on location, as far as I know.