Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    what demo are you referring to?
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    I finally must way in on this after months of reading about Sabrina's unfortunate incident. First off, Sabrina, I am very sorry about your incident and I'm sure it was a traumatic experience. Nobody should have a brand new car burst into flames underneath them, and thankfully you were able to escape without serious injury.

Having said all of that, I think you need to move on with your life. You don't need to protect the rest of the world against that evil company named Honda. I learned how to change the oil on my Dad's cars about 30 years ago and the first step after finishing the job is to start up the vehicle and get back down underneath to check for oil leaks. I learned that then and have taught my own 10 year old the same procedure. If you don't check for leaks you are only inviting disaster. A proven method then and still effective to this day.

Could the CRV design be improved? Probably. I don't think, however the placement of the CRV's oil filter is that much different than any other vehicle's. I've owned 12 new vehicles over the past 20 years and several more motorcycles and I have changed the oil myself on every one of them. Companies continue to put oil filters in very inconvenient places and every one of them will spew oil under high pressure onto very hot surfaces if they are leaking and you continue to run the motor. The brands I owned include Honda, Mazda, Ford, Toyota, Audi, Jeep and Dodge, and I can say that none of those manufacturers has a monopoly on poor placement of an oil filter. The person who does the oil change needs to do the job correctly or bad things will happen. The old saying of if you want the job done right do it yourself may apply here.

Honda doesn't own the dealership, and you would think that the dealer would employ properly trained techs to do a simple job like an oil change. That doesn't mean that mistakes will never happen. Honda is not some evil empire, its just a bunch of people making cars to sell to the public in order to make a fair profit. There are inherent dangers in using those products that you must accept when you drive them. I feel that your efforts should be focused on the techs and the dealer, and to expect an apology and/or reparations from Honda is above and beyond. (well, maybe not an apology, but again, it wasn't their fault and it certainly wasn't on purpose).

Just because the media (with your help, no doubt) has latched on to this story doesn't mean that CRVs are catching fire at a higher rate than any other vehicle, it just means that the media has found a story to sell newspapers or advertising time and boost their ratings. (that doesn't mean that they aren't catching fire at a higher rate either, I'm just saying that to place that much faith in the media's motivations is naive).

In any case, again, I am sorry for your unfortunate experience and I am glad you weren't hurt. But please move on with your life and good luck in your lawsuit, maybe you can make enough to move on and not pepper the board with your story any more.

Thanks for sharing your story with the board, but we've got it.
  • sabrina9sabrina9 Member Posts: 148
    Won't move on until this is solved, but will stop posting. No problem
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Won't move on until this is solved, but will stop posting. No problem

That's a problem. While I haven't always agreed with what you've posted, I'd prefer that you continue to post, especially those things that I disagree with. A dissenting view is important.

JM2C
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I disagree with you... Now, you stop posting!! LOL

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Seriously, don't go...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    An outstanding post. I started writing similar posts a couple of times but I deleted them knowing they would be dismissed since I happen to sell Hondas.

I too, feel bad that sabrina had to go through that and I'm thankful nobody was hurt. My wife drives a 2003 CRV and it could have happened to her if the oil changer had been careless.

But, life does or should go on. Yes, I hate the publicity and constant reminders that sabrina provides but I also think maybe it's time to focus on more productive things.

tcasboy, thank you for expressing my exact feelings much better than I could have.
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    I'll second that.
    I don't want sabrina to go away either.

Seems like a very nice person who went through a scary situation.

Just time to move on to other things, I would think?
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Why don't well all agree to stick with new information, rather than rehash old opinions?
  • edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    You guys MUST be kidding!? Sabrina, move on with HER life? I'm reading the posts for the last couple of weeks and on sheer volume, she seems to be under control and exerting a reasonable amount of self restraint given the topic. icvci and cybernut on the other hand (isellhondas a very close 3rd) need to move on - their volume of posts on this topic are in the dozens. If only the three of THEM would stop posting, the rest of us could move on. Between July 20 and July 27 icvci posted 27 times on this topic - that's an average of four posts on CR-V fires each day for him. Hm...

Oh, you know I love you all but, c'mon look in the mirror.

Elissa
  • rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    I am very interested to find out how Honda responds during the appeal. If tcasboy isn't interest in your post he doesn't have to read them. He can go about his business. Of course, the comments from the Honda salesman was to be expected.
    rockycow33
  • cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    You guys MUST be kidding!? Sabrina, move on with HER life? I'm reading the posts for the last couple of weeks and on sheer volume, she seems to be under control and exerting a reasonable amount of self restraint given the topic. icvci and cybernut on the other hand (isellhondas a very close 3rd) need to move on - their volume of posts on this topic are in the dozens. If only the three of THEM would stop posting, the rest of us could move on.

My last post was something like 10 days ago. I wasn't going to post again - no point in it, really. So please, the rest of you, feel free to move on. I'll continue to read - every once in a while, there's something good.
    Elissa,

Go back and look at what post I replied "I'll second that." to.

-Mike
    Simply discounting isell's posts because he happens to sell Hondas is crap. He brings a lot to this boards in terms of knowledge AND opinion. Implying that he is a yes man for Honda is just plain wrong.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Yes Sabrina, when you you see that pot hole in the street and the city and local municipality are aruing over the repair...just get on with your life and drive around the hole. Don't bother to tell anyone to watch out for it.

Lets be honest, none this is good for Honda sales, dealers, service etc. Instead of living in denial, if I worked for Honda I'd be on the phone every day urging them to do something to end this nonsense---not posting how it's an unresolved issue or a technicians fault. If it's still an unknown probelm then I'd put a TSB stating to be OVERLY cautious when servicing these vehicles.

Bottom line, blaming the techs, no matter how many times you do it will not hold water so long as we are only seeing one brand with one model affected.

It would be nice to see this forum return to other problems. I'd like to say these messages should be put in a special HONDA FIRES forum but I'd bet many folks would not want the issue singled out. Plus, I think Edmunds had such a forum removed (Toyota sludge) after some time. (As if the issue ever really goes away for those cars affected).

Oh by the way. I still say controlling peception is everything.
  • refereeguyrefereeguy Member Posts: 20
    I agree with tcasboy's comments, for the most part he is right on the money.

I also agree with varmint's idea.

No need to beat a dead horse.
  • edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Ok, moving on to other topics...

When I drive my husband's CR-V I find that the brake pedal is situated too high off of the floor, relative to the gas pedal. I find it uncomfortable to switch between the two because I have to lift my leg up to reach the brake pedal. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment that can be made so that I can lower the orientation of the brake pedal? My husband would just have to deal with the new height :-)

Thanks,
    elissa
  • kathgipkathgip Member Posts: 39
    Hi, this may seem like a silly question, but I really need some advice on this. I live on a dirt road and in OR. so you can imagine how dirty and muddy my CR-V will get. My Altima had a retractable antenna so there was no concern going thru the carwash (except my first time when I forgot to turn the radio off and destroyed the antenna and had to replace it to the tune of $143....didn't do that again). My CR-V does not have a retractable antenna and I am not sure how it will work going thru a carwash with the antenna the way it is. Is it safe to do so without destroying the antenna? Thanks for your input and suggestions.
    It is safe to go through the car wash. I think a brushless car wash would work best - even though the antenna is flexible, I wouldn't want to push it too hard.
    Elissa,
    I do remember someone posting about having the pedal height adjusted. Did you do a search here on all the CR-V boards? It may be under a different category.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    As long as the message is not violating the Member Agreement/Rules of the Road, a member of the Town Hall is welcome to post. Other members have the choice to read and comment/reply, or ignore and move on.

As for "beating a dead horse", to some the "horse" is very much alive and needs some serious attention. Denying their concerns are valid or of no consequence doesn't help resolve their situation.

Re: Toyota sludge topic - It's not hidden away. Anyone wishing to review those discussions can do so. Use the Search by Keyword (enter "Toyota Sludge") to find them.

That's all I'm going to say within the topic. If you have any questions/comments, please address them to me in an email.
  • refereeguyrefereeguy Member Posts: 20
    All I am saying regarding the "dead horse" is that what else could be said about the topic?

Until some new "news" becomes available it is hard to believe anything else could be said about the topic that wouldn't be re-hash.

I will leave it at that.
  • tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    I don't consider automatic carwashes to be safe under any circumstances. I believe they could ruin an antenna in a heartbeat. Many (especially touchless) use harsh chemicals that could weaken your clearcoat finish, many use recycled water that may have contaminants that will abrade your paint, and if it is not a touchless car wash then there is a 100% chance that you will get swirlmarks on your paint.

Of course I am considered very anal about my car's appearance. You got to to do what you got to do!
    All I am saying regarding the "dead horse" is that what else could be said about the topic?

Anything she wants to say. That's the point.

Until some new "news" becomes available it is hard to believe anything else could be said about the topic that wouldn't be re-hash.

I'm sure you can't find anything new, but other people might. Let them post what they want. If you don't like it, skip to the next post.

:)
  • steve999steve999 Member Posts: 9
    Lady I work with caught on fire on the way home. She just ahd her oil change at the Honda dealer. Brand new 04 CRV EX. They tried to tell her it was ok but she let them know that it wasnt loudly! She got a new one, same color and all.

You would think of all people Honda techs would know about this issue.
    You did suggest that she report the fire to the NHTSA, right? :)
    My CRV has been through all kinds of car washes, including the cheap gas station kind.. Probably 30 times or more... No problems with the antenna at all. Though I don't recommend the cheap car washes, the antenna will not be a problem.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    my comment to Sabrina requesting her to "keep it up" was intended to encourage her to report the outcome of the trial. This is still very viable and not in anyway a dead horse, sure the comments were getting repetitive, but I appreciate the moderator stepping and and as always our wise racoon to point out that this forum is open for on topic and civil discussion.
    rockycow
    In your case, there is little doubt in my mind that you do have a pull and not a normal drift.

You owned a 2004 and didn't have the same problem.

Hopefully they will be able to quickly solve this for you.
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    The main and only problem is that the techs arent doing their job by checking and cleaning the gasket surface for the oil filter which they are suppose to do on all oil changes. If they did their job correctly then the sticky gaskets would be found and corrected therefore no fires..jmo..
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    hey guys, long time no see :) The CRV is still performing admirably, and is still using up the Yokohama Avid T4's much more gently than the OEM's. I'm still getting good mileage too :)

[quote]Also, they were supposed to be contacting Jiffy Lubes, Grease Monkeys, and other retailers. I doubt they receive dealer newsletters. [/quote]

I can just see it now. "Dear Jiffy Lube. When you change an oil filter, be sure to check for a gasket left behind. Thanks, Honda"
    "Dear Jiffy Lube. When you change an oil filter, be sure to check for a gasket left behind. Thanks, Honda"

And don't forget to look both ways before crossing the road. LOL
    not to make light of the situation too much, of course. Cars catching fire is not a funny situation. it just seems to be a technician problem that should be caught as part of their normal routine.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Maybe the CR-V gaskets are much more prone to stick for some reason. The technicians probably never paid that much attention to whether the gasket came off because it was never an issue before.
    I'm sure that is the case. Especially since it only seems to happen on the first oil change.

They do stick sometimes, though, and the techs should know to look for the gasket if it doesn't come off with the filter, I think.

I hear plenty of stories about people getting "double gasketed" though, without fires, probably due to the leaking oil being blown into hot components when driving.
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    So my theory on why only 2003-2004 models were affected in the fire issue...2003-2004 model owners are more likely to take their vehicles to dealers. Of the fire issues I've found information on, the majority happened after dealer oil changes.

Possibly in an effort to cut every rising costs, Honda may have put increased timing requirments on "entry" level technicians to reduce time spent on each on oil change. Oil change technicians have fast become the inexperienced 16-year-old at the service department who would not otherwise qualify for other service related work.

I would agree with most that technicians should be taking care to ensure a job is done well and efficiently. However, their managers are ultimately the persons who define the work ethic and should be responsible for inspecting work. But what happens if the filter is faulty, fails or otherwise becomes punctured or leaks?

A designer that places a main oil outlet above an exhaust manifold (an outlet that sees frequent activity) should not be excusued. Careful oil changes will be required on these models for the life of the car and it only takes one person to forget procedure.

Concerned CR-V potential owner,

jp
    2003-2004 model owners are more likely to take their vehicles to dealers.

But why haven't there been problems with the 2002 model, which is identical to the 2003-2004 models? In other words, what changed between 2002 and 2003?

Possibly in an effort to cut every rising costs, Honda may have put increased timing requirments on "entry" level technicians to reduce time spent on each on oil change.

You're confusing Honda the car manufacturer and Honda dealers. While individual dealerships may (and probably do) put pressure on their employees to work faster, be more productive, and generate more revenue (what company doesn't put some pressure on their employees?), Honda the car manufacturer isn't responsible for that.

A designer that places a main oil outlet above an exhaust manifold (an outlet that sees frequent activity) should not be excusued.

In a perfect world I would agree with your statement. But the design process is a balance between utility and function, and often (always?) includes compromises.

JM2C
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    But why haven't there been problems with the 2002 model, which is identical to the 2003-2004 models? In other words, what changed between 2002 and 2003?

- As I speculated, most likely 2002 owners, when compared to 2003-04 owners are less inclined to take their vehicles to the dealer. If the belt tightening occurred in the the 2004 model year, that would put the majority of 2002's at Jiffy/Econo/Tune_and_Lube. The fact that the issue was somewhat limited to dealer changes emphasizes that a service procedure change at Honda dealers was made. Also, as this was/is a national problem, and not any one dealer, points to a parent organization. Either that or it's just all one big coincidence.

In a perfect world I would agree with your statement. But the design process is a balance between utility and function, and often (always?) includes compromises.

- I suppose. Having worked for/at several Japanese based companies, I've found that Japanese engineers value 3 things: Innovation, quality and withholding opinions that would save face over overriding a more senior engineer's decision.

As I said it was just a theory. Hopefully I'm not writing the Pelican Brief here...heh.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    No dis-respect intended, but to me your theory makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

<<As I speculated, most likely 2002 owners, when compared to 2003-04 owners are less inclined to take their vehicles to the dealer>>

What the heck makes you think that?

<<The fact that the issue was somewhat limited to dealer changes emphasizes that a service procedure change at Honda dealers was made. Also, as this was/is a national problem, and not any one dealer, points to a parent organization>>

Most Honda dealers, if not all of them, give a free first oil change. Since the reported fires are after the first oil change, that's why most of the fires occurred after a dealer did the work.
    I said But why haven't there been problems with the 2002 model, which is identical to the 2003-2004 models? In other words, what changed between 2002 and 2003?

You replied: As I speculated, most likely 2002 owners, when compared to 2003-04 owners are less inclined to take their vehicles to the dealer.

Ah. Speculation, the close relative to rumor and wild gueses. What happened at a national level that suddenly owners of new 2002 CR-Vs stopped taking their CR-Vs to dealers for their first oil change? And what happened, again at a national level, that new owners of 2003 CR-Vs took their CR-Vs to the dealers for their first oil changes?

I grew up in S. California, currently live in the midwest, and spent 4 years living in NY. I can tell you from my own experience that this great nation of ours is not a single, homogenous mass of humanity. Each region has their own attitudes, opinions, and habits. And making such a blanket statement about owners of one year model vs another is wild speculation.

My point? You have no idea what actually has caused 2003 & 2004 CR-Vs to have a problem and 2002 CR-Vs not to have the same problem. All you're doing is guessing, and it's not even an informed guess.

JM2C
    Just for you theracoon..LOL

If there is more of a problem with '03-'04 than '02s (open to debate, since the number is relatively small), then the most likely answer is that something changed... Since we know the design of the model years is virtually identical, then it points to the filter area.

It could be (wild speculation alert):

1) Different filter source
    2) Different gasket used in assembly
    3) Different oil used to lube gasket before installation.
    4) Some kind of different coating/paint on engine where filter attaches (I SAID: wild speculation)

Any of those impossibly weak explanations would account for why the gaskets stick after the first oil change, but subsequently have no problems. Ever have weatherstripping stick after you re-paint your front door?

Okay, back to rational rantings now...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

For all we know, there were problems with the 2002 model. They may not have been reported. Therefore they were not investigated. Therefore they didn't make news. And if it ain't in the news, most people assume that it never happened.

Everybody see the flaw in that assumption?
    That is why I put "open to debate" in the first line.. and started the assumption with the word: IF

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx, I agree. Something changed between 2002 and 2003 that's causing the fires. Or, as varmint suggests, because of the small number of actual fires that have occured they may just not have been reported for the 2002 model.

As an interesting note, the NHTSA does have a 2002 report of oil leaking from the filter onto the exhaust, although it apparently didn't cause a fire. It's ODI # 10080892. So it sounds like varmint may be correct.

The problem I had with ebbgreatdane's posts is he first speculated that Honda forced the dealers to have their techs change the oil faster. A unsupportable statement, since the dealers are independent businesses. His rebuttal was that owners of 2002 CR-Vs decided not to have their first oil changes done at Honda dealers. Again, an unsupportable statement. He's making wild guesses that confuse the issue without contributing to the discussion, IMO.

Your guesses are at least reasonable; something changed with the filter or the process used in the engine assembly.

JM2C
    A lot of mine was wild and unsupportable also.. But, at least grounded in a little logic.. LOL.

You know it is funny, I've been taking all my Hondas to a local dealership for service, since I bought my '98 CRV from them.. Four different Hondas, even though the '98 was the only one purchased there. The only Honda I still have is an '02 CR-V EX. When all this came up, I was thinking that I was glad that I had a dealer I trusted.

So, In May, about two weeks after going in for my 30K service, I got new tires and was having some vibration problems.. Had so much trouble, I started considering other causes than just the new tires.. Popped my hood, and the windshield washer container cap was off.. no big deal.. The next day, stopped at the dealer to talk to the service guy.. It was closing time, but he takes it back, makes sure all the tire pressures are the same, etc.. Comes back, and says the air intake pipe between the engine and air filter had never been hooked back up.. Said that could cause a little engine vibration, due to the lack of vacuum.

So, it looks like they closed up my hood before they finished hooking everything back up... I'm kind of a "stick the key in and drive" guy, but keep all the maintenance up to date. This was sort of a wake-up call.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

As much as I love the dealer I use for service I had a similar occurance. I had my '99 EX in for it's 60,000 mile service, including having them check the valve clearances. The next time I was under the hood checking fluid levels I noticed that the ground wire to the valve cover hadn't been reconnected. A quick trip back to the dealer, a few minutes while the service writer went back to get a mechanic, and I had a new bolt holding down the ground wire...and a coupon for 15% off my next service.

:)
    Kyfdx - My last post wasn't meant to be directed at you, specifically. Just in case that wasn't clear.

I had a oil change retailer forget to replace the oil-filler cap on my CR-V. Oil got splattered all over the engine compartment (could easily have started a fire). Luckily, I could smell it. I replaced the cap, mopped up the spill, and let them know about their mistake.
    I didn't "think" so.. I must be extra sensitive today... already been called a clown on another thread...lol.

I, like theracoon, really like my dealer and trust them... That is what really surprised me.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Anyone know where I can get a full description of TSB's for my '99 CRV? Helminc.com has them for $40. I've got a flaky problem with my auto. door locks that is driving me nuts. When I try to unlock them using my remote, I can hear the first click for the driver's door, but the door lock post doesn't pop all the way up. I hit unlock on the remote a second time and all the other doors unlock as expected. Also, no problems unlocking the hatch using the remote. It's only the driver's door that won't unlock.

Any help would be appreciated before I start taking my door apart. I do have a shop manual but nothing else.