Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lsattlelsattle Member Posts: 13
    My 99 with 63,000 did indeed need the rear differnetial fluid changed. It was getting to the point that on any rather sharp turn, (especially at very low speeds) would start a large vibration throughout the car. Today they changed it and I can turn at 1 mph in a parking lot with the wheel fully turned and all is nice and quiet.

Still am shocked the Honda is not sending us a letter on this. Such an easy fix for something that could cost hundreds of dollars to fix.

I'm a bit concerned that my rear differential is somewhat worn out from me going so long with this condition.
  • stevengordonstevengordon Member Posts: 130
    Thank you so much, Varmint.

I'll ask my service dept. about it. Hopefully they won't need to hear it, because it sounds like by the time I drive there the heat will have nullified the problem.

Luckily, I could bring my new-car-purchase survey and suggest that I'll fill it out while I wait for them to "fix" the clips. ;-)

It's not too bad once I know that the car isn't going to crack in half. Knowledge is comfort, sometimes.
  • cam3cam3 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone experienced a metal to metal sound at 2000 rpms on a 2001 crv? I thought it was the heat shield but it wasn't. The exhaust is OK?
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Check your timing belt. The tensioner can become loose.
    It sound like it's coming from underneath the driver side. The car has 71,000 miles.
    Back in 2000, this was an issue with vehicles that had relatively low mileage. Many posters reported hearing a sound they described just as you did. It sounded like a loose heat shield. The RPM range varied, but they always quoted something well below 3,000 rpms.

When they took the car into the shop, the mechanics addressed the problem by adjusting the tension on the belt, or replacing the belt tensioner.

Of course, I cannot be certain that the belt tension is the problem. However, you've described a known problem using almost exactly the same words as were used by others in the past.
  • jackson_makjackson_mak Member Posts: 1
    My CR-V in Hong Kong of 2 years old with 40,000 KM normal on-road drive. It was susprised that 2 out of 3 engine mounts have been completely broken. It is sure a product quality and design problem of Honda. Other owners are advised to inspect their engine mount before their warranty expired.
  • gajeepgalgajeepgal Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2003 CRV with 38K+ miles (so out of original new warranty).

I am trying to decide whether to purchase an extended warranty (from CarMax, $1700 to take me an additional 6 years/60K miles).

I've always bought warranties in the past, but keep hearing that Hondas are so mechanically reliable that to do so will be a waste of money.

On the other hand, the only reason I traded from my 95 Volvo was to avoid the constant money on repairs I was getting into....

I know this is a typical "to insure or not to insure" question but if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    If you have the $1700 on hand, put it in the bank and keep it for a "repair fund". Chances are, you will be way ahead in the end.. And, you'll be able to shop for the best deal on repairs, and not worry about dealing with a 3rd party warranty company..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mrhondamrhonda Member Posts: 10
    Hello
    After just reading an article about my CR-V catching fire after an oil change, I thought I would find a forum to ask some questions. The article said that there had been reports of fires in the engine compartment due to sloppy oil changes or if the gasket wasn't removed properly. The oil would fall onto the exhaust pipe and flame up. I have 47,000 mi. on my '02 Honda. I have had Honda and Valvoline change my oil. Thus far no fires.
    The article mentioned the problem occurring on 2003 and 2004 CR-Vs. I called my dealer and asked them about this report, which they were aware of, and why my '02 wasn't involved. They told me that the oil filter location changed after 2002. Is this true? Why would they change the engine layout after 2002? I'm not really complaining here but the answer didn't sound right. Is it physically impossible for my '02 to catch fire due to an improper oil change?
    Thank you
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    < why my '02 wasn't involved >

That's the question no one can answer as there were no design changes from 02 to 03 or 04. You're dealer is full of it. The mystery has to do with the first oil change. I'd say your better than most, but logic also tells me you're at risk simply due to the location of the oil filter. I wouldn't ret it though.
  • mesquitemesquite Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like you read the same article as I did today (11/11/04 - "Click & Clack" - Tom and Ray Magliozzi - "CR-V oil fires should be a concern").
    I, too, have a 2002 CR-V and have also been wondering why the situation does not include the 2002.
    We did have a serious oil leak episode immediately following an oil change at a local Honda dealership, but thankfully no fire. The genuinely concerned and rather puzzled technician replaced the filter with yet a second one, cleaned-up the oil covered undercarriage and the problem seemed to be solved. No "second gasket" was involved, as I looked at the suspected filter myself.
    I also find it hard to believe that the location of the oil filter was changed after 2002 when that year was the first of a complete redesign of the vehicle.
    These concerns have been E-mailed to the authors of the article indicated above and hopefully some of them will be answered. Stay tuned.
  • nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    I agree. Paying $1,700 for additional 22k miles of coverage is insane.
    well.. I think he was getting another 60K miles on top of the 38K, but still not a good deal.. Hondacare sells the same warranty (granted, he can't get that, since he's already out of warranty) for about $1000.

Third party warranty companies are a real crap shoot.. Until a solid insurance company like State Farm or Prudential starts selling it, I wouldn't take a chance.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I had my mechanic check out the noise and they think it is an internal transmission problem. I don't sense a problem with the transmission at all. The noise does sound like it's coming from underneath the driver side. My mechanic only works on Hondas and Acuras.
    Well... I'm not a mechanic and, given that I've never seen your car, I'm not qualified to make a judgement on many levels. So at this point in time, I think your best bet is to go with what the professionals have to say.

That said, I'd suggest that you mention the belt tensioner if you haven't already. I won't hurt to have them check it out.
    I knew it didn't sound right that the oil filter location would have changed the following year. I just needed confirmation. The part that bothers me is that my dealer, whom I've been doing business with since 1982 (civic) gave me a line of #@*$!
    This certainly sounds like a design flaw and a ticking time bomb!
    I'm curious, what has Honda USA said about this? Now I have to confront my dealer and get their full & honest explanation.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I knew it didn't sound right that the oil filter location would have changed the following year. "

Well, I think they may have gone to a different model of filter. Maybe that is what they meant.
    <may have mis-understood explanation>
    No, I'm pretty sure that the service rep explained quite clearly that the location was different than the 2003-2004 models.
  • g1mang1man Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the board, so if you have discussed this b4 please forgive. My 03 Ex 4x4 door panel says tire press. should be 26 psi. Dealer performed rotate and balance and I noticed rough ride afterwards. When I checked tire pressure, they had sey it @ 30 psi. I went back and service rep said 28 psi. Who is right? As most of you know, Ford and Firestone can vouch for under-inflated tire problems. What do you reccommend? Also I have Bridgestone Desert Duelers(CRAP) and when the tires are cold the whole car vibrates for 1st 5-6 miles until tires warm up. The dealer says some soft Michelens would fix this. Have any of you changed to Michelens or have any other suggestions? Tyvm, G1man
    26 psi is the correct pressure. Many owners bump it up to 28 or 30 psi based on personal preference, but ultimately, 26 is the recommended psi set by the engineers who designed the vehicle.
  • rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    Honda also recommends 35 psi for very high speed driving (100 mph). With this in mind if one is doing 80 on the freeway, it probably would be prudent to bump up the psi from 26. :-)
    I keep mine at 35; it is well below the maximum allowed for the tire, and produces better gas mileage.

I doubt that the engineers decreed 26 PSI; it was probably the marketing people, who wanted the softer ride.
  • carsumercarsumer Member Posts: 2
    This is my first post. I have an 05 SE, which suggests 29 lbs of pressure, likely due to the slightly wider tread. Should I bump up the pressure for highway travel? This car does 80-85 easily. Thanks
  • tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    I just went through a prolonged discussion on the "tires, tires, tires" forum about tire pressure. I got different answers from tire stores, manufacturers, experts, etc. Yes, you will get better mileage with higher tire pressure and a softer ride with less air pressure. However, after all of my research and discussions IMHO (and I am sure everyone has their own opinion which may or may not agree) I believe the best air pressure for my application (my biggest concerns are safety and longevity of the tires) is 28 psi for our 2002 CRV-EX. The recommeded psi is 26.

I plan to monitor my treadwear for wear patterns and rotate religiously at 6K. If I was going to run 30-35 psi I would monitor treadwear every 2-3K miles.
  • kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    tntitan: I did not understand, what do you mean by "... I would monitor treadwear every 2-3K miles." .
    How do you monitor treadwear of your tires?
    BTW, I keep my tires (of my CR-V EX 03) at 34psi and do 5-tire rotation every 5K (usually at the same time as I do my oil/filter change).
    I do mostly highway travel.
    "Should I bump up the pressure for highway travel? This car does 80-85 easily."

Don't know about the 2005, but my 2003 said to use 35PSI at 100 miles per hour. I use 35 on all tires, since the freeways generally run at 75, and I like safety margins.
  • rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    There is a 9 psi spread between the posted 26 psi and the 100 MPH psi recommendation of 35 psi. If one travels 80 frequently I surely would lean toward being closer to 35 than 26. There is not any guidance regarding the 9 psi differential. Keeping in mind what happened to Ford and Firestone I am running 30 psi and prior to a long trip I go to 32 psi. To be ultra safe run 35 all the time. But, check you tire wear.
    ...by monitoring treadwear I mean measuring how much tread is left on the tire (8/32, 10/32, etc) all across the tire to make sure the tire is wearing evenly. It is my belief that running your tires at a psi of around 35 will probably cause the middle of the tire to wear more quickly than the outer portion of the tread.
    "It is my belief that running your tires at a psi of around 35 will probably cause the middle of the tire to wear more quickly than the outer portion of the tread."

Well, I'll keep it in mind, but I actually wouldn't mind the stock Dueller tires wearing out...
    I don't blame you for that. I thought the Duelers were horrible even when new. I waited to 20K before I replaced them ... if I drove this vehicle on a regular basis I would have replaced them within the first month of ownership.
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    agree - I dread it when it rains and I'm commuting back and forth on winding, hilly back roads. Guess new tires are on my wish list for Xmas.
    As a new CR-V owner, what's wrong with them? Where do you feel that they fail? And what are good alternatives?

I live in the South. Traction issues aren't a major concern. (No snow, and no-one goes out when there's an ice storm.)

Consumer Reports for Oct. or Nov. had a review of SUV tires and ranked the Duelers as low in road resistance (which would make the tire good for slightly higher MPG).

Any comments welcome.
  • cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    I don't have any complaints about the tires. For the type of driving we do, they seem to work just fine. But I have read many messages over the last several months that make me think that the Duelers would not be my first choice when it comes to tire replacement.

Interestingly, just two days ago, a complaint was filed with the NHTSA concerning this very issue:

ID #10100169
    Summary: Front tire blowout at 65 MPH on highway. 21000 miles on 2004 Honda CRV. Bridgestone, Dueller, 205/70R15 tires.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Any tire can have a blowout. Who knows? The tire could have sustained damage or picked up a nail.

Having said that, when the Duellers wear out on our 2003 EX CRV (11,000 miles)I know I will replace them with some that are QUIETER and give better wet weather performance. I'm in Seattle where it RAINS.

All in all, they aren't "bad" tires by any means.
    What are the candidates, isell? Quieter and wet weather performance would be my top priorities. I'm in the Southeast, so rain with occasional snow flurries and a very occasional icy rain, are in my CR-V's forecast.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I haven't given any thought to it since they still look like new. Honda uses good quality tires that last forever it seems. I would much rather have tires that wear out faster if they are quieter. I did have the Duellers "spiped" last month so this may help the wet weather performance which really isn't THAT bad.
  • cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    Again, I don't have any problems with the stock tires, but I know that CR-V tires have been mentioned many times on this forum. If you do a search in this "problems and solutions" forum on "tires", you'll get a large number of hits.

Based on these discussions, some months ago I wrote done the following as possible tire replacements:

Yokohama Aegis LS4
    Yokohama Avid Touring

I have no personal knowledge of these tires, but a number of forum participants switched to them and seemed to think they were a big improvement.
  • danusiadanusia Member Posts: 1
    When I turn my car off the warning beep that indicates my lights are still on or the key is in the ignition or the door is open does not beep.
    I believe it was working when I bought the car. 2002 Honda CRV.
    Is this a fuse problem?
  • edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Good grief. Like isell says above, any tire can have a blow-out. The number one cause of blow-outs is under-inflation and improper care.

I am always stunned when I walk through parking lots at the number of cars whose tires are VISIBLY underinflated (because radials won't LOOK underinflated until they are beyond being dangerously low), obviously not been rotated on schedule, show clear indications of poor alignment, and have no tread left. The owners of these cars will probably be stunned when their tires blow out on the highway or when they spin out in bad weather. But you know what? Tires are much quieter when they have no tread left. So the fact that you can HEAR your Duelers could be considered a good thing. The more you THINK about and pay proper attention to your tires the longer and safer you will live.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the person making that blow-out report had missed the 3 scheduled tire rotations they should have had by 22K miles and if they could tell you what their tire pressure was before the blow out. I can tell you my tire pressure at any time because I check it regularly and rotate my tires every 7500 miles, as recommended.

Auto manufacturers can't please all the people all the time and they choose OEM tires based on a compromise of safety, longevity, tread, road noise, handling, mileage, etc. Not everyone is going to be pleased with the compromise - so replace your tires if you're not. If they put touring tires on their so they'd be nice and quiet and handle well, someone would be bitching that they don't handle well in the snow. Go figure.

Elissa
  • safronicsafronic Member Posts: 5
    BACKGROUND INFO.
    I was at the dealer getting my 57.5K miles oil change the other night when they mentioned that I would need to get new tires pretty soon. While waiting, I checked out the 05 CRV. I noticed quite a few changes...a redesigned headlight, and bigger wheels(16.5" Alloy). Also, @ my 55K service, my brakes were 50% worn.

QUESTIONS:
    1. Since i'm due for tire replacement soon, I was wondering:
    a) Is it possible to upgrade to the new 16.5" wheels? Does any other vehicle specification need to be changed to accommodate the bigger wheels?
    b) Is it feasable to do so? Any idea of what the cost of this upgrade would be? Considering my V is already 3yrs old, it is worth doing this?

2. If the above is not possible, feasable or worth doing, I will simply replace the existing tires. Any idea of what a good replacement all season tire would be? Feel free to recommend any tire that offers better performance, smoother ride, and are much more quieter than the original(OEM).

3. Should I replace the brakes at the same time as the tires too? I figure, if I replace the brakes, replace the tires, and get a wheel balancing/alignment done, then my alignment wouldn't have to be 'disturbed' for quite sometime thereafter. Or does it matter? Does one have anything to do with the other as far as alignment goes?

4. On a separate note, my V makes a "clunking" sound over rough bumpy roads. The "clunk" appears to come from the right front wheel area. It exist from the 1st day I bought the V. No dealer can figure it out, because for the most part, they can't duplicate it. Also, it occurs more often during the 1st 5 minutes of vehicle operation, and on cold days. Has anyone experienced this? Is so, what did you do to correct this?

Sorry for being long winded. Your responses will be very much appreciated.

Thank You,

Moe
    They are noisy but I wouldn't replace them prior to wearing them out just for road noise.

I personally thought they handled terribly in the rain....I felt unsafe trying to drive the 70 MPH speed limit on the interstate in moderate rainfall when the tires were brand new. To me this was unacceptable.
    "Is it possible to upgrade to the new 16.5" wheels?"

Yes, it is possible. You might through off the speedo by a little bit, but I believe it is within the acceptable 3% variation.

"Is it feasable to do so? Any idea of what the cost of this upgrade would be?"

Depends on where you get the tires and rims. 5 rims and 5 new tires will probably run you about $1,000. (You must change the spare if you decide to do this.)

IMHO, you might be better off keeping your car another 2 years, then buy a used 2005 model. You'll get all the safety gear and upgrades along with the new rims.

"On a separate note, my V makes a "clunking" sound over rough bumpy roads."

This is going to seem odd, but I seem to recall something about an issue with engine mounts causing a thunk over rough roads. Have your mechanic check that out next time you're in the shop.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    It's not odd. There are TSBs related to the clunking. At various times it has been reported as being from the engine mounts or the transmission mount. I think it is the former.
  • tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    I never have any problem wih my 02' CR-V (with 37.7k miles) until last night. When I almost got home, I heard a "bang", and the car stalled. At first I thought I ran over something, but there was nothing there. I got off the car and even walked back 100ft to see if there was anything. I restarted the car, and it sounded funny. I pulled over and checked out the car, I saw no damage, nothing wrong I could see under the hood. Then when I tried to back up, it wouldn't go, in fact it went forward instead. I was just a few hundred ft from home. So I drove home, tried reverse again, I wouldn't go. I pulled up to the driveway(slightly incline), put it in neutral, let it slide back, shift to drive, it moved forward, then shift to neutral, it finally would back up. I tried moving back and forth a few times, it would move accordingly, but the car had a funny sound when it moved. Seemed like I had a bad transmission. Thank goodness I was at the side street and no car behind me when this happened. Ahh, and I just got 1.7k over the warranty period. Any idea what is the problem? Do you think the dealer will still fix it under warranty?
    I wouldn't want to guess...but, it sure sounds like a bad transmission.. And, be ready to raise heck about Honda paying for it.. Be polite, but firm.. There is no way your transmission should go out at 38K miles (which is what I have on my '02).

Remember.. your dealer won't pay for it, but Honda might.. If you can get your dealer to help you with Honda, that will make it easier.. Just don't expect your dealer to pay for it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

"Ahh, and I just got 1.7k over the warranty period. Any idea what is the problem? Do you think the dealer will still fix it under warranty?"

Hmmm, I thought the engine and transmission had a 50K warranty? In any case, ask them. The fixed a broken headlight for my wife when the car was one month out of warranty.
  • tomk17tomk17 Member Posts: 135
    I've seen and saved all the great posts regarding the early breakdown of the dual pump rear diff fluid. One has a nice written description of how to change the fluid with pictures. The total do-it-yourself parts cost is less than $10.

Question #1 is has anyone accumulated enough miles (~30K) on the 2004 model to see if the early fluid break still occurs or maybe they changed something for the 04 model?

Question or Point #2 is that after looking at it this weekend, it appears that Honda did change the drain and fill holes on the 04 model from the 17mm bolts previously used in earlier models to a 1/4" square drive type. My 1/4" ratchet fits perfectly.
    I have 25K miles and am just preparing for changing the fluid myself once the squealing symptom starts.
  • automaticautomatic Member Posts: 41
    I just got an 05 CRV EX with the combined CD changer/cassette/radio unit. Radio reception is pretty unimpressive. Seems to always have some static, even in town (Seattle, WA). Not so bad as to make me think it's defective, but maybe a manufacturer who does not have a good tuner? Panasonic? Anybody have similar opinions/experiences/fixes or do you think the unit or antenna is defective? The 10 year old Alpine unit in my Integra is better! Otherwise, it's a super set of wheels!
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    I have similar static on mine when using the radio. CD's sound pretty good.