Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I'm in central Florida and bought Michelin X-Ones, great tires. Wet traction as well as tread wear in hot climate were the big issues with me. I'v got 60K miles on them and should get about 10K more.
  • buckwalter1buckwalter1 Member Posts: 26
    Try http://www.tirerack.com/
    User friendly website that takes your from "zero" to solution, good service and good price.
  • higgins2higgins2 Member Posts: 2
    ive got a 99 crv, and ive got a bad idle problem. when its started, it dies. i give it gas to keep it going and once its sttarted and warm it runs fine. ive checked for vacuum leaks and found none. the timing belt has been done and so has a complete tune up, and i cant seem to find the problem. does anyone have any advice for me?? thanks
  • higgins2higgins2 Member Posts: 2
    oh yea ive also tired adjusting the idle via the throttle cable adjustment
  • bullybully Member Posts: 5
    Is your crv 4x4 ?? have u checked the tires and road surface between the city streets and the high way
    Have u tried replacing the fuel filter?? maybe clogged. Or try a different gas station
    coming from the top of the door. open the door and gently bend the top towards the car and your leaking should be gone
    Does anyone know how to manually reset the airbag light???
  • riggrigg Member Posts: 3
    The overdrive issue gets kinda confusing sometimes. If I understand correctly, overdrive should always be ON during normal driving conditions. On the 2000 CRV, if you turn the OD OFF a light comes on (on the the dash) indicating "OD OFF." OD OFF is only for steep hills or "engine braking" conditions. Correct? When the OD is ON, there will be no indicator light on the dash.

I took my 1st short highway trip this weekend in our CRV (140 mi round trip). When merging onto the highway the engine went up to about 3000-3500 RPM while getting up to 60MPH. Once I got up to highway speed (65-70MPH) the RPM hovered around 2800 RPM. I was really pleasantly surprised how well it accellerated!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    ive got a 99 crv, and ive got a bad idle problem. when its started, it dies. i give it gas to keep it going and once its sttarted and warm it runs fine. ive checked for vacuum leaks and found none. the timing belt has been done and so has a complete tune up, and i cant seem to find the problem. does anyone have any advice for me?? thanks

Check valve adjustment. Even though manual says they should be done at 90K intervals, in reality, they need to be adjusted every 30 K. Honda is aware fo that and if it turns out that one of the valves is burnt, they will cover it. This is done at the corporate level, not dealer. First, get a diagnosis from Honda, then call Honda corporate (number on the back of the manual), comlain mildly, and they will either cover it fully, or split the cost with you.
    I've got four cd's in the player. They won't play and they won't eject.The radio is working fine. How do I remove the cover on the dash to get them out. Anyone have a diagram of where the scews are and how to do this myself? Honda was no help..."they don't repair cd players, they gave me an address of a stereo store to buy a new one ". Ya think they would have said this when I left my car for this service in the first place. Any ideas would be helpful?

You will have to remove the radio from the car to do that. Click on the sponsored link above follow radio removal from the
    XM installation
    Subwoofer installation.

You would have to get a radio manual from Panasonic for the radio, or search the net for it. I have it in PDF format, but my FTP does not support 2 meg files. Alternativley, the manual is posted on "the other" site, solely dedicated to Honda SUV's. I can't post link, as per Edmunds policy.
  • puttputt1puttputt1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '03 Honda CRV. The exterior drivers door black piece,(beside the window) is pealing. Is this common? It is almost like a contact paper. The dealer wants $165. to replace it.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    In the following image, the piece labled 5/6 (located between the two doors) is the "DOOR SASH TAPE" . It's a black plastic tape piece that fits on the door frame. If they're damaged the only way to fix it is to peal the old one off and apply a new one.

The Honda list price for the tape is about $15 (per door).

$165 to replace it seems a little bit high. (yes, that was sarcasm)

• puttputt1puttputt1 Member Posts: 2
    Many thanks! I will pick up the tape tonight, if it is in stock.
  • jrmanfredjrmanfred Member Posts: 2
    This happened to my 2002 also. The door switch needed to be replaced, that fixed the problem.
  • jrmanfredjrmanfred Member Posts: 2
    Our 2002 CR-V has 48500 miles on it and the AC just went out also. My first estimate was $1330 for the compressor, clutch and coil. What happened with your CR-V?
    Thanks
    Our 2002 CR-V has 48500 miles on it and the AC just went out also. My first estimate was $1330 for the compressor, clutch and coil. What happened with your CR-V?
    Thanks

Call Honda Corporate and complain, they will either split the cost between you and them, ot just fix it for free.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Boy am I glad Edmund's added the thread histories. There are people responding to eight month old posts (I would hope the person got the problem resolved in that time). I'm not sure if this means not enough people read this board or people can't comment since they don't have the same problems with their CR-V. Good learning though.
  • chiefjschiefjs Member Posts: 39
    Has anyone experiences hairline type breaks or scratches on the inside of their windshields?

I have a new SE with less than 1,500 miles and have notices two scratches or cracks on the inside of the windshield. One is about 5-6" long curved shape about the size of a human hair, but right in front of the driver's field of vision. The other is about 3" and horizontal on the passenger's side.

I use SprayAway window cleaner with paper towels. I do not wear rings.

I cannot figure out how they got there and was wondering if this may be a windshield problem.
  • htthtt Member Posts: 75
    I just bought a pair of keyless entry from HandA about a month ago for my '97 CR-V. I programmed them and they worked for about two weeks. Now they're not working any more. I think it must be the receiver because both transmitters stopped working at the same time. I tried to reprogram them but it seemed the receiver never got into programming mode. Does anyone have any idea? Do you know where the receiver is? Thanks.
    Do you know where the receiver is?

The receiver is in the driver's door.
  • dianne4dianne4 Member Posts: 5
    I have a new 05 LX and am experiencing the pull to the right and a strong pull on intitial acceleration from a stop. I initially thought it was some problem due to the overinflation of the tires on pre-inspection (they were at 42 psi, so much for thinking they actually carry out a pre-inspection!). I took it in and they did an alignment but still a problem. I am continuously having to jerk the wheel to keep it in line, the dealer tells me this is normal crowning but I had never experienced it with my Nissan for 12 years. Am also disappointed in my first Honda.
    Yes I have a 05 LX and have noticed a clicking noise on stopping, but not every time.
    I had the same problem with my 05. I hadn't checked the tire pressure immediately, thinking it had been done during pre-inspection. The ride seemed excessively bumpy, my son was flying in the back seat... I checked the pressure, all tires were at around 42 psi. It even says on the Dunlops that pressure should not exceed 40. We are now experiencing the PTTR and have had the CRV back twice now. I am wondering what else they did not check in the pre-inspec., if the did it at all.
  • wdaveo1wdaveo1 Member Posts: 34
    I don't know if there is anyone checking this that can help me quickly. My husband is stranded in my 3 week old CR-V in the middle of no where right now with the 'check engine' light on. The indication is that it is an emissions problem and continuing to drive may damage the engine and void the warranty. He is 70 miles from home.

He is not sure if he should continue to drive and can't get through to anyone on the customer service phone number. Is there another number he should call to talk to Honda about this problem? Should he try to drive it? Should he get it towed? Is road service covered here?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dawn
  • coudiebugcoudiebug Member Posts: 26
    If you got gas recently, it's probably the fact that the gas cap was not securely tightened. You need to twist it enough to hear three clicks. If it is the gas cap, the check engine light will extinguish itself after a few days. If it is something more serious (which I have had happen as well) you will feel the car ride a bit more roughly (I had a throttle body replaced, but I could drive the car as well).

Keep us informed...
    Hi, thanks for your help. It's not the gas cap - that was the first thing he checked. Also, the car is running rough and stalled at a stop light.

We ended up having it towed 90 miles to the Honda dealer to the tune of $300 - not sure if Honda will cover it but we sure hope so (being as the car is only a few weeks old).

This is not the way I wanted to start things off with my new car which I adore (with only 1000 miles on it). I hope it is something simple and not a sign of things to come.

Dawn
  • db2db2 Member Posts: 10
    Wondering if anyone else is having this issue - I've had my CRV for about 14 months, and have a ton of clearcoat chips - some are in the handle 'well' of each door handle, leading me to think that just fingernails are chipping the clearcoat? I had a Chevy Monte Carlo for 10 years and never had any of this (and they are both white)??? Is anyone else having this problem? Is this covered under any sort of warranty?
    Also, does anyone have strange noises coming from their air conditioner in the first few minutes of turning it on? It eventually goes away, but sounds like a wreck for a couple of minutes....
  • purdonpurdon Member Posts: 1
    Took my car in for it's 2 year service 3 weeks ago. Skimmed rear brake discs and fitted new brake pads. Since then there has been a whine comeing from rear end when pressing the brake pedal. Garage says this is rear differential and Hondas do that. There was no noise before the service so could this be a coincidence or is the garage wrong and they have not fitted the new pads correctly. Anyone got any ideas. Thanks.
    Garage says this is rear differential and Hondas do that.

If it only happens while braking it's not the rear differential. If it were, then it would make the noise all the time, as the rear differential is always turning.

Take it back and insist they fix it.

Good luck.
  • richk6richk6 Member Posts: 87
    I had a whine from my rear brakes last year. It happened when the brake was applied after they were hot. The problem was solved by the dealer cleaning the brake calipers.(service bulletin 04-006).

I don't know if this is your noise or if cleaning brake calipers is standard when installing new pads. You might ask that question of your dealer.
  • kahn_vtkahn_vt Member Posts: 2
    I bought new CRV (32miles) two days ago. When I test-drove the CRV, I didn't feel the problem. But when I came back home with new car, I felt the steering wheel was shaking badly whenever I brake the car. I called the honda service and they told me to wait a week until the brake adjusts itself. Anybody has same problem before?
    One more question. Does CRV EX have a function that can roll down all window using remote?

Thanks,
    Well, we got the car back today. I am not thrilled with the diagnosis (or should I say 'non-diagnosis'). I can't explain this well as I don't have the paper work, but they believe that the VTek system got stuck in an 'advanced mode' and messed up the timing. Does anyone understand this? The computer showed an intermittent problem.

They didn't do anything to correct the problem other than 'reset' the system somehow. They also said it could come back anytime, or never again.

Ughhh...I hope I don't get stranded by myself with the kids. We were fortunate it was my hubby and not me, as I am the one who primarily drives the vehicle.

I would appreciate an explanation if someone understands what might have happened.

Thanks,

Dawn
    I bought new CRV (32miles) two days ago. When I test-drove the CRV, I didn't feel the problem. But when I came back home with new car, I felt the steering wheel was shaking badly whenever I brake the car. I called the honda service and they told me to wait a week until the brake adjusts itself. Anybody has same problem before?
    One more question. Does CRV EX have a function that can roll down all window using remote?

Thanks,

Welcome to the new extended CR-V family.
    Sounds like there may be rust on the rotors and they just need to be used to scrape that off. It could also mean that rotors are warped, or one of the lug nuts is lose.

No, there is not all windows down with the remote. I hope your new car came with an OWNER'S MANUAL and you have read it from end to end and are re-reading it again. Most of the questions are answered there. And if they are not, then people here will be happy to give you an answer, as long as it has not been covered in the OWNER'S MANUAL. Or you will get the infamous RTFM wrath!!!
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Wow, that sure doesn't sound promising or convey confidence in the vehicle. If I were you, I'd make sure to keep all documentation as well as a notebook documenting everything. Notify the dealer AND Honda customer care that you are EXTREMELY disappointed and that this is strike one for the lemon law.
    IMO, what the dealer is telling you is unacceptable.
    It's one thing to have unexpected repairs but being stranded ain't fun, especially if you have kids with you.
    Well, we got the car back today. I am not thrilled with the diagnosis (or should I say 'non-diagnosis'). I can't explain this well as I don't have the paper work, but they believe that the VTek system got stuck in an 'advanced mode' and messed up the timing. Does anyone understand this? The computer showed an intermittent problem.

They didn't do anything to correct the problem other than 'reset' the system somehow. They also said it could come back anytime, or never again.

Ughhh...I hope I don't get stranded by myself with the kids. We were fortunate it was my hubby and not me, as I am the one who primarily drives the vehicle.

I would appreciate an explanation if someone understands what might have happened.

Thanks,

Dawn

I would suggest you check the oil level and do it at every fill up. VTEC runs off oil pressure and low oil may have contributed to the error. As far as explaining what VTEC does, check out how stuff works. It could take a few years to fully understand the miracle of VTEC that Honda developed and implemented in the 80's.

Don't worry about being stranded, the car is still driveable without VTEC, it is just not as powerfull nor peppy. It just reverts to running like an ole' 4 cylinder engine.
  • db2db2 Member Posts: 10
    Realizing your message is a little old - did you ever find resolution to the clear coat issue? I've had my CRV for about 14 months, and it has so many scratches in the clear coat, I'm flabbergasted. I had a Monte Carlo for 10 years that never looked this bad. Just curious to see if they did anything for you?
  • cwlady17315cwlady17315 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I have a 1998 crv, only 70,000 miles and I love it and I'm ready for a newer one. It has a couple of things that I was told was fixed in later models and I would like to know if anyone knows these were improved. The air conditioner just sort of takes the heat off a little even though I've had it recharged and checked and the automatic transmisssion isn't as smooth as I would like.
  • epm1epm1 Member Posts: 32
    I started buying Honda, paying more, for the reliability. 02 CR-V has changed that- this week the compressor blew up at about 65000 miles. Honda dealer says sorry out of warranty. Honda Customer Service (they say NO problems with compressor) has made some concession after begging, pleading, threatening, talking to supervisor-but I still have loops to jump through and no idea what they will finally do, what it will cost me or when it will be done. This follows failure of seat back sensor(OPDS) at cost of $725. Damaged one tire- had to buy four-difference in circumference made car run in 4 wheel drive all the time. 4 or 5 recalls! Concern about engine fire until media reported prob. was inferior oil filter gasket. Now $2000 for a compressor! If Honda is going to stay in the car business-they need to get back to reliability or offer longer warranties. EPM1
  • leawoodieleawoodie Member Posts: 2
    Wow I have a 2002 crv with 70,000 mi and i have the same two porblems..air condition compressor..and opds Mod. The car is in the shop right now..Yes about 2,000 in repairs or 10% of the valure of the car. ..Yes you pay sticker..for the reliability and get this..Honda hasen't got back with me..yet . please post what the outcome of you disscussions with Honda and I will do the same. These two parts must be inferior..I have seen other post with these two particular problems on CRV's
  • epm1epm1 Member Posts: 32
    You need to call Customer Service in CA- the dealer has a conflict of interest- if YOU pay the dealer makes much more $$ than if they are reimbursed a lower amount by AHC. AHC Customer Service verbally offered to pay for diagnoisis-but the water gets muddy after that exactly what they will pay if anything- cannot inspect my car for over a week-independent repair shops has Honda parts and can fix- its 101 degree today- but Honda may only pay for part of the costs and will not warranty their parts and I have to sign a release. Also reporting compressor, sensor and hot key to NHTS. AHC has been less than open and honest- they say there are no problems with the compressor(despite what the repair folks say), its out of warranty, etc- if you beg and plead and talk to supervisors, etc. and waste your time and energy- they may do something. epm1
  • pizepize Member Posts: 1
    I am about to by a 2005 manual ex. I was told that cars with exterior mounted spare tires can have really high repair costs in the event of rear collisions (much higher than cars without exposed tires). I was warned that even when parked if a car hits the tire while parking behind, it can cause damage to the door...

Consumer reports mentions high cost rear collision repairs as a con for the Rav-4. I haven't seen any warnings or info on this for the CRV. Anyone with info or experience?

Also what's the consensus? Buy or not to Buy?
  • rav4urav4u Member Posts: 21
    Last time I checked the insurance rate was still $80 to $100 less for a CR-V than a RAV4. The CR-V will probably do better than a RAV in a rear end collision since it has a rear bumper and the RAV has none. The rear door on the RAV is very flimsy and will be easily damaged. Neither will do as good as a standard rear bumper though without the spare mount, depending on the type of collision. If something contacts your spare tire hard enough it won't be pretty in either the CR-V or the RAV.
    I am about to by a 2005 manual ex. I was told that cars with exterior mounted spare tires can have really high repair costs in the event of rear collisions (much higher than cars without exposed tires). I was warned that even when parked if a car hits the tire while parking behind, it can cause damage to the door...

Consumer reports mentions high cost rear collision repairs as a con for the Rav-4. I haven't seen any warnings or info on this for the CRV. Anyone with info or experience?

Also what's the consensus? Buy or not to Buy?

I was rear ended in Gen 1 CR-V by a Durango. What do I care how much it costs, it's the other guys insurance paying. If you are planning on bumping into poles and stuff, maybe you should keep driving your old car until learn how to drive. I don't mean to be nasty, but come on, you should know the dimensions of your vehicle. Honda offers back up sensors, or you can get a back up mirror from Asia. I don't buy a car planning on wrecking it. This is why it is called accident, S...t I mean stuff happens.

If you like CR-V get it, if you are trying to find reasons not to like it, then don't get it because you will hate it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    CR-Vs have pretty low insurance rates... lower than an Accord...

I was rear-ended twice in my previous CR-V... Low speed... Both times, the vehicle behind me sustained pretty substantial damage from contacting the spare tire with their grill/hood, but the only damage that my CR-V had was a torn spare tire cover... A Cavalier and a Ranger, if you are keeping score...

So, I think you'd have to get really popped to make a difference.... if that happens, the spare tire will be the least of your problems...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jillstarjillstar Member Posts: 4
    I just had my compressor seize up with only 37,200. I'm only 1 month and 1,200 outside my warranty. I also called service at my local dealership that said they are having no problems with compressors, But my independent auto guy told me a he got a different story when he called the honda parts guy. The parts guy said the compressors were going left and right. There's obviously a problem with these compressors.
  • jillstarjillstar Member Posts: 4
    I've got an 02 and I'm having the fading and the clunking noise at slow speeds. I also just had my compressor sieze up at only 37,200 mi. I'm a little shaken that something so costly has happened so close to the end of the warranty. I called my local dealership but I'm not trusting them because I had the SRS light checked and reset and then had it turn on 2 weeks later. My old civic never had any problems until at least 90,000. I haven't even paid this car off and I'm feeling frustrated by it.

Any suggestions? I think I will at least call AHC corporate to try and get a little help with the compressor. There is no reason that it should fail at such a low milage. As far as the other glitches go I'm not sure what I'm in store for, but I'm not feeling as confident about Honda quality.
    Both of you should call Honda Corporate, the number is listed on the back of your owner's manual. People on the "other board" are succeeding at having Honda pay for the full or partial repair. Honda stands behind its product, even if you are out of warranty.
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    Two years ago, I was rear-ended in a '02 CR-V. Fortunately, the rear tire absorbed most of the impact and left me un-injured. The rear door sustained $1000 in damages with no glass breakage. I originally bought the V because it scored better in rear-end collisions than the RAV4. I think damage to a vehical is secondary as long as the driver isn't hurt. I will buy another based on my experience alone. As far as insurance, it's too bad that they don't raise premiums for careless drivers who are constantly distracted behind the wheel by their own habits. Go for the V !!! Just look out for initial defects like alignments since the dealer doesn't want to cover after the first year.
  • mrhondamrhonda Member Posts: 10
    Hello -
    My '02 EX has recently started to make a sound that I describe as a scrubbing / rubbing sound when I make a fast hard right or left turn. The sound definitely emits from the rear area. I have an appointment for next week with my dealer. Has anybody here experienced this sound and what was the cause? Could it have anything to do with the rear differential? Would a change of fluid help?
    It never has been changed. It has 56K.
    Your comments or suggestions are much appreciated.