Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• barbinkcbarbinkc Member Posts: 22
    The Dodge (it was a 1973 Charger) never did have transmission problems, I traded it off in '77 or so for a Mercury because of the gas crunch at the time.

Absolutely no car is perfect, but I expect a Honda to be. As far as standing behind their product, they aren't as proactive as they could be in my opinion. I just had the transmission replaced on my CRV (and I've read here and in other sites about Honda tranny problems within the last decade) but they refused to guarantee it for longer than the original warranty, so basically, they only guaranteed it for 6 weeks. I'm out of warranty now, just hope they didn't stick one in there that will fail in the next year.

ou were mentioning a tranny failing 3 miles outside of warranty - the dealership that worked on my CRV told me I was lucky, because they had another customer who's Accord tranny went out at 36,000 miles, and they were no longer in warranty. Well, that tranny should have been covered, regardless of the warranty. A tranny going out at 36,000 miles is a major defective part. I've read them going out at 20,000 miles as well. I guess I was lucky mine lasted to 76,000 miles. It has made me rethink what kind of car I will buy next. I used to think of myself as a loyal Honda customer. Not anymore.
  • princemanprinceman Member Posts: 8
    I'm waiting to see how my experience goes with Honda Corporate before I give my opinion on how well they stand behind their products. My car is scheduled for an A/C diagnostic next week. Also, my car is the 2001 CR-V - before the redesign, so I don't quite buy the argument about a differerent out sourcing manufacturers for components causing the problem.

When it comes reliability, I realize no car is perfect. It just comes down to personal expectations. However, Honda has a reputation for and touts the reliability of their cars. Therefore, I expected the major A/C components to last more than 46K miles in my CR-V. What is the "normal" expected lifetime for an A/C system? My 86 Accord also required a new compressor, but it had over 100K miles. During the life of that car is also needed two new drive shafts, a new radiator fan motor (stranding me once) and also was recalled for faulty gas filler tube. Thankfully, my 2000 Civic Si has been so far problem free.

Despite all this I've stuck with Honda, but their response on my particular issue and how my CR-V holds out will influence what I shop for next.
  • clunkerdriverclunkerdriver Member Posts: 4
    i'm looking at a used 99 CR-V, 73Kmi at a dealership. is there a way to find out if the original owner (who bought the car at that dealer) purchased the extended warranty, and would it be transferrable?

otherwise it sounds like the dealer is only going to give me 30 days on the car. i'm concerned about the blown head problem in the 99 CR-Vs and don't want to get stuck with a huge bill if it happens to me.
  • alfie2alfie2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Clunkerdriver: We have now replaced both the front and back "sway bar links", and the clunking has stopped. Cost us $225 for the rear, and then $100 for the front (I complained, so they charged the dealer cost only - which was a goodwill gesture). I was told that this was not a "safety issue" by the service mgr at the dealer where we bought the car. I am skeptical, and had them replaced for my own peace of mind.

The dealer should be able to fix this cheaply. Good luck to you. :)
  • clunkerdriverclunkerdriver Member Posts: 4
    thanks so much! I will pass the info on to the dealer. appreciate your responding!
  • tammytoonatammytoona Member Posts: 4
    I posted this message on a different forum, but I'm hoping this forum may be more appropriate. If anyone can give me any advise on how to fix this, I would be grateful.

Hi,
    I recently purchased a 2000 Honda CRV. Today was the first day that I took it to a car wash place. Well, as I was in the car wash, large amounts of water (I mean large amounts of water) began pouring onto the passenger side floor. It's hard for me to explain as I am not proficient with auto parts. The water was pouring under the plastic housing (the part that includes the dash board and the glove compartment) so that it was pouring out onto my passengers feet that were, at the time, placed as far toward the front of the car as possible in the passenger space (sorry to be so dumb, I hope you get the idea). Anyway, I remember when it was raining a few days ago, little bits of water were dripping from the same place, I didn't pay it much mind b/c I thought that perhaps the airconditioning vents were getting condensed (it had been very hot). But today, the water was literally pouring onto the floor. Has anyone had this happen? What might it be?
    Thank you so much!!!!!
    Tammy
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " because they had another customer who's Accord tranny went out at 36,000 miles, and they were no longer in warranty "

Do you recall the year of the Accord? Honda extended the transmission warranty on certain years of the Accord to 7yrs/100K miles due to tranny problems.
    " i'm concerned about the blown head problem in the 99 CR-Vs and don't want to get stuck with a huge bill if it happens to me. "

I've got the '99 CRV and have 111K miles and no blown head problems. See if you can check the maint. records of the CRV you're looking at to see if they've had the valves adjusted. If not, insist on it when you purchase. It's only about an $85 service item, so it's next to nothing for the dealer to do.
    Buying any 6 yr old vehicle with 73K miles still leaves you open for a big repair bill. Nothing's perfect.
  • wrascalwrascal Member Posts: 25
    I've had this before, on several cars. It's always been a plugged drain, either from the AC or the sunroof window. Both cheap, easy fixes.
  • chuck914chuck914 Member Posts: 15
    Well, my 2003 CRV is sick again. :sick:

Has anybody noticed on their CRVs' a clunking type noise while turning both left or right--stopped or moving at slow speeds (thus it isn't the CV joints). It feels as if the strut is binding when making these tight turns (parking lot, etc.).

Also, my steering wheel is showing signs of wear--surface coming off at top...and the side air bag indicator light "flickered" while I was driving the other day.

I still have a few concerns--"what next"--shall I expect as this unit is almost out of the warranty period (57,000 km.)
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    i'm looking at a used 99 CR-V, 73Kmi at a dealership. is there a way to find out if the original owner (who bought the car at that dealer) purchased the extended warranty, and would it be transferrable?

otherwise it sounds like the dealer is only going to give me 30 days on the car. i'm concerned about the blown head problem in the 99 CR-Vs and don't want to get stuck with a huge bill if it happens to me.

This is why it does not cost $18,000. It is USED. Even if original owner had Honda care, it can only be transferred if you bought the car from the original owner. Once it is traded in, the original owner gets a prorated refund.

The problem is not a blown head, but a burnt valve. If the car has service records, you can check if the valves have been adjusted every 30,000 miles or not. If not, you can have the dealer adjust the valves before you buy it.

If you want a car with warranty and less problems, buy NEW. Used cares are someone elses problems that you bring into your home. If you are not willing to deal with those, then buy new. Just like there is no perfect new car, the chances of finding perfect used car are even lower.
  • terry18terry18 Member Posts: 8
    I bought a 2005 CR-V three weeks ago and I have the pttr issue. I have been back to the dealer twice. The first time they did a complete 4 wheel alignment & rotated the front tires to the back. Said that the suv drove ok. I test drove it and it went right back to the dealership. Same problem. They accomplished another 4 wheel alignment and I mentioned the TSB which I found on this forum. The dealership had to call the Honda rep before they could accomplish it. Still have the same problem after the TSB. I'm meeting with the Honda rep tuesday 9-6-05. so they can drive it and confirm the problem. If the rep agrees the next step will be to involve a Honda engineer to resolve the issue. Wish I had know about this forum before I had bought the CR-V I would have been looking for this issue with the pttr. I have since driven two more CR-V's and they both pull to the right. It's funny how the salespeople claim to know nothing about the pttr.
  • quimbytsquimbyts Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 CR-V (SE) purchased two months ago. There is an audible "click" from the dashboard near the shift lever when the vehicle is slowing down, or speeding up. It is audible at very slow speeds, about 2mph. I did hear this exact same noise from another new vehicle on the lot and was given a Honda "Service News" bulletin from May 2002 describing the sound and attributing it to the shift lock solenoid kicking on and off as the vehicle speeds up and slows down. I just want to know if anybody else hears this same noise from their CR-V and whether this is normal.
    I have also noticed the click, is does sound like a relay. The only time that I hear it is when I'm first starting to drive forward after starting the car.
    after I shut it down and restart I hear it again when driving forward. I will listen at the slow speeds for it. Have you noticed your CR-V pulling to the right when you take your hands off the steering wheel?
  • quimbytsquimbyts Member Posts: 5
    No, I don't have any issues with pulling to the right. I can detect no performance problems with the car . . . just this click from the dashboard which one dealer says is normal (and even produced another brand new car right off the lot that made the same noise) and another dealer that says this is definitely not normal.
  • cgormancgorman Member Posts: 2
    I'll have my mechanic look at the gasket in the rear spring flex joint. Interesting you mention going up inclines. That seems to be the time the noise is most easily produced. I've had my mechanic look at the car and they have told me everything is tight. I asked them to look at the heat shield, and I've looked at it myself it seems to be on there tight. I'm not worried about safety, as you said the noise is just annoying. Thanks.
    Steve,
    My CV-R has the pttr issue. I have been back to the dealer twice. I will next meet with a Honda Rep this week to see if they can resolve the issue. If they can't repair it, what are the steps to be taken for a roll back on my vehicle?

Terry
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    There is an audible "click" from the dashboard near the shift lever when the vehicle is slowing down, or speeding up. It is audible at very slow speeds, about 2mph.

It's the shift lock solenoid. All CR-Vs with automatic transmissions have it. All click when it engages (increasing speed) and disengages (decreasing speed). It prevents you from shifting in to reverse when the vehicle is moving forward. Some people don't notice it.

non-car smiley
    My CV-R has the pttr issue. I have been back to the dealer twice. I will next meet with a Honda Rep this week to see if they can resolve the issue. If they can't repair it, what are the steps to be taken for a roll back on my vehicle?

"Lemon" laws vary by state. The following link might help you:

State by State Lemon Law Summaries
  • happy1happy1 Member Posts: 3
    Two dealerships, 3 test drives of the CR-V SE. All three failed a simple hands off the wheel test. At speed (35-50 mph) on a flat straight road, all 3 had drifted/veered into the next lane to the right within a second or two.

Is it just bad luck or is it that I'm looking at the picked over end of the model year inventory?
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    should be a no brainer no, if they can not fix it in 3 attempts; replace it. But then I'd expect there would be a WHOLE LOT of replacements to be made. My guess is Honda will just claim this is normal for the vehicle....of course then you can argue that they do not all do it.
  • barbinkcbarbinkc Member Posts: 22
    No, he didn't offer the year of the car, so I don't know what year it was. I'm assuming it was a newer car, in the 2000's somewhere, but I really don't know.
    The Honda Rep drove my CR-V today and suggested that the subframe be shifted to the right and perform a four wheel alignment. The subframe was easily shifted by loosening a few bolts and using a rubber mallet to move it. We test drove the vehicle after completing the above repairs and I didn't seem to notice the pttr. I did feel what the rep calls roadcrown if I went to the far right side of the lane that I was driving in. To prove it we drove in the left lane on a two lane road and the CR-V would pull to the left. He stated that if I still had pttr it would have pttr even in the left lane. He also stated that the vehicle was in specs and wasn't sure if he could do anymore. I told him that I would drive it for a few days and get back wiith him.
  • steve royalsteve royal Member Posts: 82
    Terry,

Sorry to hear about your PTTR. I am happy to hear that they may have figured out a cure. With mine, they never did but eventually bought the vehicle back days before Lemon Law arbitration. As mentioned above by another poster, if you end up having to utilize the Lemon Law, every state has a different approach. If you think you may have to use this venue, start researching it now. The fastest and easiest (and cheapest) way is to Google your state name and "Lemon Law." Make sure you read the law very carefully because I can assure you that the Honda reps have and are very familiar with it. Go figure. At any rate, if I can be of help, keep posting and I'll answer the best I can. Like I said, I hope you don't need to deal with it. On another note, I have read of CRV owners that ended up with other problems after the PTTR was "fixed" due to the tweaking which caused other problems with the CRV i.e. uneven tire wear. Steve
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    what other problems...other than uneven tire wear?
  • steve royalsteve royal Member Posts: 82
    I don't know all of the possible problems that can occur from the multitude of fixes that Honda has attempted for PTTR. The only other one that comes to mind (besides the uneven tire wear) was the vehicle tending to want to go to the left. Steve
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I know Steve will snap back at me for this...but...honestly, I have NEVER ONCE driven or ridden in a CRV that pulled to the right. Never, including the one we own.

I'll ignore your response, Steve but this is the truth.

Any car will drift to the right if a person takes their hands off the wheel. This is normal. If it "veers" into the next lane, something is definatly wrong.

I've read these PTTR stories with interest and I came to the conclusion this was pretty much limited to 2WD drive CRV's. We sell hardly any of these so I really don't have much experience with them.

Since SE Crv's are all 4WD, I don't understand how three out of three could have had this problem?
    Any car will drift to the right if a person takes their hands off the wheel.

Some roads are crowned and will cause drift to the left or right, depending on the crowning. But not all roads are crowned, so saying that all vehicles should drift to the right is just silly.

Either that, or my 1999 CR-V and all previous vehicles I've driven have or had a problem because they didn't drift to the right. I'm a consultant and travel frequently. I drive a lot of different rental cars, from many different manufacturers. None of them have drifted to the right consistently in all road conditions. And none have done anything close to what is being reported as PTTR by CR-V owners. If I found a rental that did I'd immediately return it for one that didn't have what is obviously a serious problem with the steering or suspension.

Since SE Crv's are all 4WD, I don't understand how three out of three could have had this problem?

Because your assumption that it was limited to FWD CR-Vs is incorrect. The PTTR problem has been reported by owners since the 1st Gen CR-Vs. While not wide spread, it is real, it does occur, and it's a PITA to resolve. Despite your claims to have never experienced it in any CR-V you've driven.

JM2C
    My claims are real but I don't doubt some CRV's have the problem.

I have to disagree with you. If you take your hands off the wheel, any car will slowly drift to the right, even on a straight road.

Doesn't is seem odd to you that three out of three would do this?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Look, guys, all "evidence" here is anecdotal, which means by definition it is not subjected to rigourous scientific testing; so any anecdotal evidence is bound to be very subjective and it is quite possible therefore for both sides to be correct in their observations. You can argue this to death but until someone grabs every 5th CRV off the assembly line and track-tests it 1,000 times, the extent of the problem or % of cars affected can never be known.

Best thing to do (if I were in your shoes) is take the vehicle to a VERY experienced, independent front end alignment shop that works on a wide variety of cars and have them drive it and give you their opinion.
    And avoid the chain stores!
    You're right, that without rigorous testing of relevant samples we can only speculate how many CR-Vs have the problem.

That the problem does exist is not in dispute, since Honda has acknowledged the problem by issuing a TSB.

JM2C
  • al8al8 Member Posts: 2
    In December I purchased a new 2005 CRV-ex model. I have recently found out that this car was manufactured in the UK. I have heard from a friend at a local dealership that I should get rid of it because many have been coming back with issues. One person had the rear axle of the car fall apart while they were driving approximately 40mph.

My car had a premature alternator failure at the 5k miles. It took the dealership over three weeks to get the part in due to back orders for this particular part. I assume that other must be experiencing similar problems. I have read of other issues in regard to engine fires caused by oil changes and was wondering what else I am missing. The car is less than one year old and I am ready to trade it in for another vehicle other than Honda.

Does anyone have any other information to provide?
    I had a UK made Civic. In the first 6 months of ownership:
    1) Both driver and passenger window regulartors and run channels were replaced
    2) The clear coat peeled and had to be repainted
    3) The spare tire tub was leaking from underneath, and had to be resealed.
    4) Both front rotors warped and were cut under warranty, then warped again and I replaced them with Brembos.
    5) The Center A/c vent broke apart
    6) The front seats rocked excessivley
    7) One interior panel was gouged pretty bad
    8) Engine initially burnt about 1.5 quarts of oil per 1000 miles, and then about 1 quart per 3000 miles.

All defects, but the oil consumption were fixed under warranty. I drove the car happily for the next 2.5 years. The oil consumption was still evident and I had to add a quart at 3000 miles, before the 5000 mile oil change intervals. But that is the price you have to pay for having a high revving high horsepower engine in a Civic. This is the same engine that Honda puts in CR-V's overseas.

I came back to Honda and made sure I got a Japan made CR-V. There are no manufacturer that has no defects, at least Honda stands behind their product when something goes wrong. Your only other choice is Toyota, but they are rather boring vehicles. I don't mean looks, I mean driving dynamics.
    Seriously, if you are that worried you should probably sell it and buy something different. Alternators can fail but it's pretty unusual. I once had one fail on a new Buick after six months. This was in 1989 and the person I sold the car to still has the replacement alternator after 150,000 miles.

The fires were caused by people not paying attention while changing oil. If the old gasket gets removed there won't be a fire.

I wouldn't lose confidence in a great product because of isolated things you may hear and read about.

And, I would be saying the same thing if this were a different make.
    A UK Civic?? Where did you buy that? Never heard of Civics being built there.
    I don't dispute the fact some CRV's are affected. I'm just surprised I've never heard of this except in these forums. I honestly haven't.
  • phil_qcphil_qc Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2005 EX Canadian (4WD) and it PTTR after all try ( TBS, Subframe,
    allignment, tires). The real problem there is that there is NO fix for this, it's not
    like an exhaust or tranny where you can change it.

I was wondering (ask on HondaSUV.com) if anyone of you ever change both front struts ? I'm so tired about this problem that want to try it myself (w/ KYB
    struts). I know for shure that one guy tried that by switching both front struts
    assembly from a V that do not PTTR to put on his and that solve the problem
    but before spending money (stupid, I know...) I would like to have some opinions.

Hope everybody understand my english,
    Philippe :lemon:
  • jimb9jimb9 Member Posts: 5
    Ok, I'm a noobe, and here is my experience after 4 days of owning a 2005 EX CRV, I have the same problem on shifting to the right when you release the steering wheel. I called my dealer and of course, pass me down to a Service Advisor and Here is what he told me, This is normal, and explain to me that Honda did it from MY 01 to present for safety reason., if when the driver having a health problem while driving, like falling to sleep or maybe having a heart attack, he said that the vehicle will go to the right side of the road instead of going againts the traffic, for me it does make sense, What I can do right now is watch my tire if it will wear abnormal.
  • phil_qcphil_qc Member Posts: 11
    Ok now tell me why there is a TSB about that ?

Not only on the CR-V but also on the Accord and the Mini Cooper and a lot of other cars. It's not normal. If you can live w/ it i'm truly happy for you but I can't.
    The dealer gave you a lame excuse. There is a TSB so the problem is real. They
    (the dealers) don't want to talk about that because the is about no fix for this
    problem... I just want to let you know that the subframe fix just work for about
    1000 KM and now my tires have wear abnormaly... I will see my dealer for the
    last time next monday...

Philippe
    Ha. I've heard that before here. It's a bunch of bull. Would they make CRVs for the UK so that they pull to the left since they drive on the left over there?

Just to comment on some of the recent posts. There's a difference between pulling to the right and drifting to the right. Riding in the right lane a vehicle will tend to drift to the right due to road crowning. As such, riding in the left lane and the vehicle should drift to the left due to crowning.

The PTTR disease is a distinct pull or tug of the vehicle to the right that will require some force on the steering wheel to keep from going to the right. Best described by steve_royal and his bionic forearm that he got as a result of his CRV.....
    I've seen posts about it in three other Honda CR-V forums.

JM2C
    This is normal, and explain to me that Honda did it from MY 01 to present for safety reason.

The service advisor lied to you. Call Honda directly. The number is in the back of your Owners Manual. Complain to them about both the PTTR problem and what the dealer's service advisor told you. Then contact a different Honda dealer. You do not have to take your CR-V back to the dealer you bought it from.

I also agree with mikefm58 about drift versus PTTR. PTTR requires constant pressure on the steering wheel to keep the CR-V driving straight. If you release the wheel, the CR-V immediately starts moving to the right, not just a gradual drift.

Good luck.
    A UK Civic?? Where did you buy that? Never heard of Civics being built there.

You forgot about the Honda Civic Si. All of Honda Civic hatchbacks are made at Swindon, UK plant, including the hotrod Civic Type R. And you sell Hondas?? lol
  • princemanprinceman Member Posts: 8
    Pretty good ending here. My local Honda service contacted Honda Corporate about the faulty A/C in my 2001 CR-V SE (with 46K miles) on my behalf. Honda Corporate agreed to pay one-half for parts and labor to replace the A/C compressor and receiver/drier, etc.. Actually worked out a bit better than one-half because I only paid one-half of Honda's cost for the parts (not the retail price). I ended up costing me about $515 to get the A/C working again.
    I'm still disappointed that the A/C failed to begin with, but I'm satisfied with Honda's response - particularly since I didn't purchase an extended warranty for my car. Thanks to all in this forum for your assistance and information.
    Yeah...I totally forgot about the SI's! Duh!

Been so long since I sold one I suppose.
  • lorelei2lorelei2 Member Posts: 8
    Sorry if this posts twice. I'm new to this.

I've read the archives on groaning noises coming from the rear of the car. Is it really possible that with only 11,000 miles on my CRV that I need to replace the rear diff. fluid? For the past couple of days I've heard a groaning noise when I parallel park. It seems to be coming from the front but it could be the rear.

Also, does anyone else with an '05 have wind noise issues on the driver's side at speeds above 60 mph?
  • romanmromanm Member Posts: 34
    Yes, there is a difference between the PTTR and drifting to the right -- I had the former before and the latter now. This I understand. I also understand that the TSB is supposed to fix the PTTR (and it did in my case). What I am still confused about -- is the drifting to the right (complete lane change in 4-6 seconds on a flat road at 60-70 mph with hands off the steering wheel) normal? If it is not, is there any fix for it? Thanks.
    The pttr is not normal. After two trips to the dealer, the Honda rep reviewed my issue. He agreed, after driving my vehicle that it did have pttr. After taking your hands of the wheel the vehicle would pttr within two seconds. He reviewed all of the work that had been accomplished and recommended that the sub frame be adjusted and then do another 4 wheel alignment. So far, the pttr is gone. He did say that if it takes six seconds or longer to pttr that Honda considers this normal for any of their vehicles. I asked him about the CR-V engine fires and he said it really got blown out of proportion, the problem was the techs were not insuring that all of the old oil filter gasket was being removed from the block before installing the new oil filter. Hence, allowing oil to leak and spray on the exhaust manifold and starting the fires. We discussed about when to change the engine oil and filter for the first time. He said that there was additional additives in the oil from the factory and to wait until the recommended 5000 miles before changing. After that change every 5k or 6 months or sooner. We do alot of city driving so I change my own oil every three months or 3k miles whichever occurs first.
    Honda rep informed me that the TSB was really for the torque pttr. All front wheel vehicles have torque pttr when you accelerate. The harder you accelerate the harder the pull depending on the vehicle. He also said that a six second drift is considered normal for their vehicles.