Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• romanmromanm Member Posts: 34
    Thank you for sharing the information. Too bad Honda considers a six-second drift normal -- I find it rather annoying (though it is much better than the pttr). They should at least warn potential customers about that.

There is another problem with the drift. When they did the TSB and fixed the pttr on my V three months ago, the car almost did not drift. Now, after 2K miles it drifts more. I brought it to the dealer, and they re-did the alignment, but with no improvement. If it goes the same way, I guess it's just a matter of time when the drift will be out of the "normal" six-second range.
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Once again, I think that the Honda rep was just blowing sunshine up your backside in an effort to have you go away. Isell, and everybody else, should READ the TSB!. It says:

SYMPTOM: Vehicle dirfts or pulls to the right while driving at highway speeds.

The assumption I draw from that is that at steady state highway speeds (whatever thay may be, again I would guess 45-65 miles per hour) if you let go of the wheel the vehicle will pull or drift to the right.

It has nothing to do with torque steer, which occurs when you are on the gas and accelerating. The more you press the pedal the more the vehicle will be affected, and its usually just from a full stop that torque steer is really an issue. I have an Audi A4 with front wheel drive and know what torque steer feels like. The pull to the right that the 2 CRVs I drove was nothing remotely like torque steer.

Again, from the TSB:

Probable Cause: The angle of the upper spring seat is incorrect.

The description of the actions required states that they need to adjust the left and right spring seats, align the front wheels, and take a test drive.

I personally test drove 2 4WD EX models and both pulled dramatically to the right when you let go of the steering wheel on a flat road in both directions. They even did it in the parking lot. This is not normal, its not designed in for safety, it is a defect that Honda (at least corporate Honda) has recognized and at least attempted to fix via the TSB.

What is disgusting is for alleged salesmen like Isell and the "Honda rep" who continue to claim ignorance about the issue and put you off with excuses and flat out lies. I'm sure that every manufacturer out there would be promoting the safety benefits of Pulls to the Right when steering wheel released in their brochures if that were truely a designed safety feature. Give me a break.

Honda admits there is an issue, why can't the dealer and regional personnel at least admit it to and get the issue fixed is my question.

Any answers Isell?
  • terry18terry18 Member Posts: 8
    I did read the TSB and showed it to the Honda rep where it said SYMPTOM: Vehicle drifts or pulls to the right while driving at highway speeds. His reply was that it was meant for torque pull. This TSB was accomplished on my vehicle on and earlier visit and only made a minor improvement. After the sub frame was adjusted and another 4 wheel alignment, we went for a test drive the dramatically pull to the right was gone. However, it would start to drift to right after approximately 5 seconds. At that time I stated to the rep that we still had pttr. He said I was feeling the road crown and to prove if it really has the pttr issue that we needed to drive on a two lane road and to drive on both sides of the road. He stated, that if the vehicle has the pttr issue we will pttr regardless of what side of the road that we are driving on. We then drove down a two lane road and drove on both sides of the road, driving down the right side the vehicle drifted to the right, driving down the left side it drifted to the left. The rep said this is the test that we uses for pttr and in my case it is road crown. He asked me if the dealer had given me a copy of a letter produced by Honda explaining road crown? I am going to request that letter.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Your rep sounds like he is on the money.... Roads are "crowned", so that rain water runs off....Higher in the middle, lower on the side.. So, whichever side you are driving on, your car will follow the crown, and drift to the side of the road..

5-6 seconds is a pretty long time... At 60 MPH, you are traveling 450-500 feet.... I'd be surprised if your car didn't drift in that amount of time.. I think your experiment on the two-lane road pretty much backs him up on that point...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• krn3krn3 Member Posts: 10
    Here's the link for the PTTR fix some say it works, it did work on one I test drove.
    http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/1114758000000_1115622000000_05-022/index.html As for my 2005 CRV PTTR experiences, two I test drove had it. THey did the fix on one and it worked. I wanted a red CRV when they located one for me, it did not PTTR manf in ENgland its an LX AWD. I bought my 2005 CR-V in June I had a non start problem last week after only 4,500 miles, I was stranded 3 hours from home. After about 1 hour and 20 or so tries it started and I drove it 3 hours home. I Took it to the dealer first thing. After only 4,500 miles I had to have the starter replaced last week, They said the computer read there were some bad spots in the starter. I've also read that someone had an alternator replaced because of non-starting. I hope my non-start problem is fixed but unfortunately I felt a slight hesitation on starting yesterday. Nervous about the compressor problems I am now reading. I also do hear the click upon first driving thats been mentioned, not sure where it is coming from it could be the steering column as mentioned. PTTR, non-Starting, Compressor, boy I really hope I didn't make a mistake in choosing a CR-V. So far it seems to be as un-reliable has my trade in, a 10year old minivan w/ 115,000 miles. I traded it in for less problems not more. On the plus side I get 29 1/2 MPG on the highway, loaded and using the A/C driving through the MOuntains, and going the speed limit as posted :confuse: .
    Heres the link to the TSB PTTR (Pull to the Right) fix http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/1114758000000_1115622000000_05-022/index.html Print it and take it to your dealer. Good Luck
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    No, I don't have any answers and my CRV doesn't pull to the right.

I don't think I've eversaid this problem didn't exist. What I did say and what I still say is I've never experienced this myself.

I have driven and ridden in, probably a hundred or more CRV's and I have never seen this happen nor have I ever had a customer mention this to me.

And, yeah, unless I hadn't read about this in these forums, I would have been one of those salespeople who would have "claimed ignorance" about this issue.

Hardly an "excuse" or a "flat out lie!"
  • drewsodrewso Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a used V Reg 2000 CRV ES which has a factory fitted Thatcham Category 1 Alarm/Immobiliser installed. Unfortunately there have been 2 occasions when I have had a problem with locking the car using the remote.On both occasions I have been parked in a multi storey car park in Glasgow, Scotland. The first occasion I could not get the car to lock with the remote I tried for ages and eventually had to lock the car with the key and when I came back the car would not start and I had to get someone bring me the spare remote for the car which still had no effect. So I just kept trying for about 1 hour, eventually the car started with the original remote. The second occasion was much the same. The remotes for the car are fine and have new batteries installed, although I have found that you have to point these directly at the sensor or the don't work, neither work from a distance, though I don't believe this is related to the starting/locking problem, but who knows?
    I had it suggested to me that there are a lot of stray signals flying around in multi story car parks which may be affecting the immobiliser (makes it think that it is being interfered with)
    My wife and kids use the car regularly and park in multi story car parks on a regular basis so I would appreciate any help or advice.
    Has anyone had a similar experience?
    That is exactly what I suggested to folks who were going to test drive the CR-V! Take the TSB with you when you test drive so that when the salesperson says they have never heard of the problem you can show it to them. The other point I made a few posts back is that I wouldn't buy one that pulled hoping that they would fix it later. Make sure the vehicle you buy drives straight.

Isell: I wouldn't have heard about the problem without this forum, but I have heard about it. And I have read the TSB. I don't work for Honda or in the auto industry, and yet I managed to hear and learn about this issue. I find it hard to believe that professional Honda salespeople haven't heard of this issue. And to tell a customer that the problem is for torque steer or that Honda's are designed to pull to the right for safey purposes is in fact a lie. Pretty shameful if you ask me.

You may find it hard to believe but I actually agree with some of your comments concerning customers chasing the fantom deal they think someone else got or trying to bleed the dealer dry on every deal. I actually think the dealer deserves some money on the deal so that they can stay in business and we actually have somewhere to go actually test drive a car. I can't believe that you haven't driven a CR-V that pulled and that you are indignant at the suggestion that they might actually do so. I guess your dealership is just very lucky or your mechs get that TSB done on every one before you get to drive them.

I hope to buy a CR-V by the end of this month, but only if I can find ONE that has a manual tranny and doesn't pull to the right.
    Some HOnda salespeople really haven't heard of the PTTR problem. Because there really is such a thing as torque steering. Torque steering is, upon acceleration (like entering a highway or passing someone) you will feel a slight pull to the right due to the Front Wheel drive. Upon acceleration the right front wheel accelerates first, therefore you feel a slight drift to the right not an extreme PULL. If you explain to the honda dealer that it's pulling to the right, they assume it is the normal pull to the right on acceleration. Until someone looking for the PTTR problem points out to them exactly what they are feeling while driving it, they won't know the problem. The PTTR happens while traveling at a constant speed not upon acceleration. The Honda Dealerships obviously won't drive every CRV on the lot checking for abnormal PTTR. But yes it is a problem don't buy the one you test drive if it pulls to the right. I test drove 2 they both pulled to the right. The sales person had the service department perform the fix on one for me and it worked, however I wanted a red one, which they found at another dealer. When I test drove it, it did not PTTR. I am curious about my car at 4500 miles not starting and needing a starter. I have also heard about hondas not just CRVs needing air compressors soon after the warranty runs out (not the extended warranty). Actually as I was at the dealer last week having the starter replaced, someone else was told they needed an air compressor. I am not sure any details about his honda (Year? make? model? mileage?). I just overheard him say it was out of warranty. I am also not sure the starter fixed my problem, a week later and I felt a hesitation upon starting. NOT STARTING, AIR COMPRESSORS, PTTR.... HONDA help I love my CRV but I can't afford a loan and car repairs. I bought new hoping it would be reliable and cost free for at least five years without an extended warranty. For which I drive about 1500 miles in a month shuttling kids to school and college. My CRV is an 2005 AWD with currently 5,000 miles.
    It has to be remembered that these forums attract people with problems like a magnet.

You find it "hard to believe" that professional honda salespeople haven't heard of this "issue"?

I have sold CRV's since they were introduced in 1997. NEVER ONCE, has this "issue" been brought up (to me) except in these forums!

That's all I'm saying. I'm saying, I don't doubt that some CRV's are affected. Givne my experience, that number must be limited to a very small percentage otherwise I would have heard about this other than in these forums.

I'm not "indignant" at any suggestions, and, no, I HAVEN'T driven any that pulled...sorry. I don't think luck has anything to do with this.

There are a few five speeds out there...not very popular so you might want to think of resale down the road...just a suggestion.

I do wish you well!
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Maybe this will get a chuckle or two and relieve some of the pttr stress around here....I am now awaiting an 06 model which some have felt will not have the pttr problem. I doubt it because I do not think they will redesign a vehicle that is being replaced with in a year - new 07 redesign is coming. I too am concerned a pttr because my wife complained of the problem (before I knew there was such a thing) when she test drove an 05. I sympathize with the folks whose dealers (and Honda) are saying this is normal. I have NEVER experienced anything like this except for the time I had a bad tire. A cocky friend suggested this tact; I doubt anyone would have the guts to try it but it did make me chuckle. Arrive at the lot with your affected V and your spouse in your second car. Get the offending dealer rep, tech or manager in your OTHER vehicle. Pull up perpendicular to one of the rows of new cars on the lot….pull within 3 feet of the car noses or rears. Start to drive, accelerate with your hand off the wheel for a few seconds….the assumption is your second car will go straight! Now tell him/her to get in the Honda because you are going to do the exact same test in the V!!! It would be interesting to gauge the reaction!

Seriously, I hope this whole issue is overblown but I am starting to doubt it!
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    In your example, that's torque steer, not PTTR.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I am now awaiting an 06 model which some have felt will not have the pttr problem. I doubt it because I do not think they will redesign a vehicle that is being replaced with in a year - new 07 redesign is coming.

PTTR has been a problem with a few CR-Vs since the 1st Gen model, even the redesign of the CR-V in 2002 for the 2nd Gen didn't eliminate the problem.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the 3rd Gen CR-Vs not having PTTR issues, either.

JM2C
    JM2C...

I just got that.... lol....

Give me 2-3 years, and I'll catch on to just about everything....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• crvjoecrvjoe Member Posts: 24
    Today my air conditioner on my 2002 CR-V quit working. There was no noise, but I see what looks like oil on the bottom of the fan housing and below the compressor. Now only hot air is comming out of the vents. From what I have read on this forum, Honda is assisting in repairing in some cases Please tell me what procedure to follow so that I am able to receive help from them.

Thanks
  • epm1epm1 Member Posts: 32
    Appears your compressor has failed-some folks have reported their's exploded. There is oil mixed with the refrigerant and that is apparently what you see.
    Call American Honda Motor Co customer service 800-999-1009-address and phone # in front of you Warranty Info booklet. They will take your info and then someone else will call you back and tell you car is out of warranty- tell them you want them to pay for a/c repairs- about $2000. You will have to go to dealer for diagnosis/estimate. American Honda paid for my estimate. Depending on the mileage on the car it has been reported in this forum that they have have paid 100% to 33% One member with about 40,000 miles reported 100% reimbursement. Mine was a little under 70,000 and they paid 50%. You have to stay cool but be persistent. You will get some double talk-(they say no problem with air conditioner compressors and you cannot believe what you read on the internet)- but your negotiating skills apparently determine what you are finally paid. Stress your loyalty to Honda. All CRV owners are not treated equally. epm1
    krn: If you read my last few posts you will see that I have described torque steer, and I realize that the pull to the right is NOT torque steer. In fact, that was one of the main points of my post. I don't see how a salesperson can consider themselves a "professional" at what they do and know so little about the cars they sell. Many of them will tell you that they have never heard of the pull to the right issue or that you are mistaken and confused about torque steer, when in fact they are simply either ignorant or dishonest. They will say anything to get you to buy a car today. Then they wonder why people equate buying a new car with going to the dentist. In fact, most people would probably prefer a root canal to visiting a car dealer. I personally don't mind the process, but I am still amazed that these folks who sit around all day smoking and drinking coffee while waiting for their next mark to show up don't spend a little time reading car magazines or internet forums to actually learn a little about the cars they sell. Pretty sad when I had to show the salesperson where the spare tire was in the Ody.

Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems with your new CR-V.
    Granted, people are more inclined to complain on these forums, because they want to vent their frustration and maybe even get some help with a problem with their significant investment. That doesn't mean that their issues aren't valid, even if they are the only one who has the problem.

Yes I do find it hard to believe that professional salespeople can't spend some of their downtime (waiting for their next mark to pull up) to do some research and learn some more about the products they sell and the industry they work in. Pretty sad if you ask me. I had to show on salesperson where the spare tire was on the Ody when I test drove the 2004 model. I've had them tell me they have never heard of the engine fire issue with the CR-V. What kind of credibility does that lend them? Not much in my mind.

I've only driven 2 CR-Vs and they both pulled hard, so the number can't be as small as you would like to imply. I'd love to drive ONE that DIDN'T pull. I'm still waiting for my nearest dealer to email me when he has a manual that doesn't pull on the lot. Haven't heard from him but I am patiently waiting.

Actually, they are all 5 speeds now, but I know you meant the manual 5 speed. I realize that some folks won't buy a manual, but I prefer them, and I am buying the vehicle for me, not the next guy. What is disappointing is that the manual actually has a slightly lower fuel mileage rating than the auto, but again I am willing to give up that one MPG for the pleasure of shifting the gears myself.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I hope to buy a CR-V by the end of this month, but only if I can find ONE that has a manual tranny and doesn't pull to the right.

Good luck finding one with a manual. There are only a handfull of them Someone on the "other" board reported a deale rin CO having 4-5 of 2004-2005 CR-V manuals. All new.
  • crvjoecrvjoe Member Posts: 24
    I called The Honda number and ,of course, they said they had no reports of compressor failure and that I was out of warranty. They told me to take car to dealer for diagonosis and if I was unhappy with results, to call them back. I guess the next step is to see what dealer will do. I did talk with a service advisor who said he had not heard of any complaints! This is my 2nd CR-V and I'm beginning to questions Honda's reputation for quality.
    2 independent shops that only work on Hondas indicate they are seeing a larger than usual number of compressor failures in the CRV. Both however suggested I talk to American Honda. It meant the loss of the job for them but their honesty was refreshing in an industry that seems to thrive on half truths, double talk and deception. Honda used to be a little better than the rest in honest customer service and reliability but they seem intent on destroying their reputation for both.
    You will have to put up with a run around but be persistent. Good Luck, epm1
  • mm123mm123 Member Posts: 2
    We just got the bad news that our SECOND compressor has blown up. :cry: We had this happen once already around 30K if I remember correctly. Honda paid for that one, 100%. Now, here we are, a little over 60K, and it has happened a second time. We are taking the car to the dealer tomorrow so that they can evaluate the problem themselves.

Anyone else have this problem happen to them twice with the same car??!
  • jmolinskyjmolinsky Member Posts: 18
    I feel your pain. We have a 2003 EX and we had our compressor go bad somewhere around 25-30,000 miles, too, but it was covered under the normal warranty. Now I'm just waiting for the new one to go (we're at about 48,000 now) so we can experience the joy of trying to get it covered....

Good luck with Honda!!
  • al8al8 Member Posts: 2
    The wind noise in my CRV is very annoying. This is the loudest vehicle I have ever owned. When I am traveling on the highway I sometimes can not even hear the cell phone with the volume all the way up.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Now I'm just waiting for the new one to go (we're at about 48,000 now) so we can experience the joy of trying to get it covered...."

Peace of mind is one of the main reasons I opted for the 100K / $0 deductable extended warranty...
    When we replaced original tires with Yokohama tires it made our 02 CRV much quieter-reduced the road noise. When we damaged a tire and had to replace it- the CRV got very noisy as it stayed in AWD all the time. The new tire with a slightly larger circumference spun at a different speed and sensing a wheel was slipping the CRV stayed in all wheel drive until we bought 3 more tires to match the replacement tire. epm1
  • terry18terry18 Member Posts: 8
    The Honda rep that helped me with my pttr said that we knows about the a/c compressor failure on the earlier models and that Honda was picking up the tab on a case by case basis.
  • bq40bq40 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm in Sydney Australia. I have read with great interest about PTTRs, fires and compressor problems and feel sorry for for the problems you guys are having. I have a 2002 CRV and cross fingers all's well so far. I wonder if anyone can help me with the following.
    We have 91 95 and 98 octane gas here what octanes do you have?
    My Gear box is an Auto and can anyone tell me if it is harmfull to shift from D to N and back to D rather that leaving it in D constantly at traffic lights, is there any extra wear?
    Do the 2002 Models have a diganostic plug socket? and if so what type and where is it located?
    Perhaps Varmit and/or Isell can help? Thanks in advance Guys.
    Hi, I'm in Sydney Australia. I have read with great interest about PTTRs, fires and compressor problems and feel sorry for for the problems you guys are having. I have a 2002 CRV and cross fingers all's well so far. I wonder if anyone can help me with the following.
    We have 91 95 and 98 octane gas here what octanes do you have?
    My Gear box is an Auto and can anyone tell me if it is harmfull to shift from D to N and back to D rather that leaving it in D constantly at traffic lights, is there any extra wear?
    Do the 2002 Models have a diganostic plug socket? and if so what type and where is it located?
    Perhaps Varmit and/or Isell can help? Thanks in advance Guys.

Octane rating in the US may be different as it is an average or theoretical and actual octane ratings. R+S/2 Other countries may use Theoretical or Actual only.
    Here in the North East we have 87, 91, 93, and Shell has 94. OWNER's MANUAL would tell you what grade to use.

Shfting auto is not a good thing if it were not designed for it. The OWNER's MANUAL would tell you if it were OK or not. IF you want to be in control of what gears to use and whether to be in neutral or not, a MANUAL transmission is probably a better choice.

The 2002 is OBDII compliant. There is a diagnostic socket. The OWNER's MANUAL is very explicit, at least in the US, about its location. Since you guys drive on the "wrong side" yours will be in a different location. Check the OWNER's MANUAL.

I think you see then trend. Almost all of your questions can be answered by the OWNER's MANUAL.
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    "In fact, I have observed other 2005' s on the road and some are hugging the right"

While I sympathize with you over your PTTR problem I find it highly unlikely that you are able to identify other vehicles with the same problem simply by observing them on the road.

I am awaiting delivery of a 2005 SE and will definitely give it a good test drive on multiple different roads at different speeds to see if the car I am buying has this problem before accepting delivery.

A question for those who have experienced this problem... Under what type of driving circumstances is it most noticeable? Acceleration? Braking? (I'm guessing note while turning right ;) ) What speeds and on what type of roads?

Thanks.
  • kfitz1kfitz1 Member Posts: 2
    9/14/2005

I have a 2001 CRV SE with approx 62,000 miles. My AC Compressor just blew up also. My first estimate for the repair is coming in at $2785.00! I am so freaked out by that. I am getting some other estimates this week, and looks like based on some of the messages on this forum, I will contact Honda Customer Service next. I have already had my front left door actuator go out twice in four years and the front right door actuator replaced once also. I am a huge Honda fan and drove my 87 Acord for 13 years. But have not been having the best of luck with my '01 CRV.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    here's a link for the parts end of things:
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

there must be a lot of labor hours to get to $2785.00!
  • me3me3 Member Posts: 30
    OK, this morning on the way to work I ran a little test with my '05 CR-V SE. It was a beautiful early morning drive with little traffic and very calm winds. On a nice straight-and-level stretch of four lane road (two lanes each way separated by a grass median, I moved to the left lane, maintained a constant 60 mph, and let go of the wheel. It took eight seconds to begin drifting to the left. I ran the test again and it took nine seconds.

I then went to the right lane. NOTE: It was visually evident that the road had slightly more crown to the right. I let go of the wheel and it took eight seconds to begin drifting to the right. I ran the test again and it took seven seconds. This is in keeping with MY expectations of normal wheel alignment.

What are your experiences?
  • bq40bq40 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks bluiedgod for the info and the manual does say use 91 octane but nothing in the manual says anything about manually changing gears. I wasn't asking about changing gears but the practice of placing the shifter into neutral at traffic lights and then shifting into drive just before the lights change to green and if this was detrimental to the gear box. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
    Varmit did a very good job describing how the RT4WD works perhaps he could do piece on the auto gear box and how it works.
    The manual do not give the location of the OBDII socket but thanks again.
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    "What is disappointing is that the manual actually has a slightly lower fuel mileage rating than the auto, but again I am willing to give up that one MPG for the pleasure of shifting the gears myself. "

tcas, the mlg rating in the manual is more of a guideline. I have found it really depends on driving style. I have had consistently better mileage than a few of my friends who drive the AT trans.

Also, I waited a few weeks for my MT to arrive at a local dealership. I was set on getting the Chianti Red, so it was well worth the wait.
    Extra shifting from neutral to Drive cannot be good for the transmission.... The small savings in wear and tear on the brakes and torque converter are more than offset by the shock you deliver to your entire driveline, every time you shift in and out of Drive....

I'd stop that...lol

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• sil1sil1 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2003 CR-V on Nov 2003 and it currently has 25,000 km (15,500 miles). I brought the car to the dealer because the air conditioner is no longer blowing cold air and the dealer is unable to explain what the problem is. Can someone explain to me what's wrong?

1) The car is less than 2 yrs old and only has 25,000 km. Is it normal for the air conditioner to break down at this stage?
    2) I live in montreal, canada so the air conditioner has been used for about 3 months during the entire life of the car
    3) Lombardi Honda charged me $150.00 to replace the freon in the air conditioner. When asked why it needed to be replaced, they were unable to give me an answer that makes sense.
    4) I called Honda Canada and explained the problem. They told me that the freon is in a closed system and the freon should not have required replacement. When I told this to Lombardi, they said that it is not a closed system and Honda Canada was wrong. I then explained that for any gas not to escape, it had to be placed in a close system. Lombardi's response was that they did an A/C maintenance as specified in the maintenance schedule. As far as they are concerned, the air condition now works so there is nothing wrong.
    5) I checked the maintenance schedule and I couldn't find anything specific about air conditioner maintenance

I think that the dealer needed to empty out the gas in order to perform their analysis and add coloring so that they can finger out where the leak is. They basically, charged me for the materials used to diagnose they problem. They're using a loop hole to get money from a car under warranty. Please, tell me if I'm talking non-sense. Any advice on how I should proceed?
  • acrvacrv Member Posts: 3
    This is about the same mileage as on my 02 CRV when compressor blew up. Independent Honda repair shop quoted about $1300 for repairs(did not include condenser). Dealer wanted $3000- said car out of warranty I would have to pay. American Honda Customer Service eventually agreed to pay for some of the work done at Dealer at their costs of about $1600 and I paid 1/2 of that. The higher price was referred to as retail and the lower price wholesale. The reimbursement amount apparently depends on the mood of the rep. you talk to and how persistent you are- their first answer is no- it is out of warranty. Our first two Hondas with about 400,000 miles total between the 2 had no major service problems- and A/c's never stopped working. We are about ready to sell our CRV because of A/C and other issues and move on to something less expensive to keep running. Good Luck! acrv
  • chuck914chuck914 Member Posts: 15
    I too am from Canada, and also experienced AC trouble...completely covered under warranty (compressor failure). As far as adding colouring--are they from the "stone" age? I'm a mechanic (truck/coach), and I'm telling you, the environmental laws wouldn't permit evacuating freon. All new systems are checked by a "leak detector" which basically sniffs for freon--very sensitive. Oil spraying a vehicle (rust proofing) can make this difficult, but most leaks are easily found despite this added oil spray challenge. I'd demand my money back, complain to Honda Canada; and if that doesn't meet your expectations, a carefully worded letter to a Better Business Bureau copied to Honda should do the trick.

Personally, I can't believe these Honda's are having so much AC trouble. Their should be a recall to fix the AC problems--all the lost freon (even if it new) is not good for the environment!
    Hope the sun is shining and the beer is cold in the "land-down-under."

I wouldn't worry about shifting from D to N and back. The electronic controls--both torque converter and transmission--are more than adaquate to save the fuel and any wear on the system. I would say there is increased wear in maintaining this habit--your shift cable, especially the connecting ends are not likely designed to be constantly moved. As well as what was earlier mentioned, the shock load placed on the driveline is detrimental.
    Has anybody noticed on their CRVs' a clunking type noise while turning both left or right--stopped or moving at slow speeds (thus it isn't the CV joints). It feels as if the strut is binding when making these tight turns (parking lot, etc.).

Also, my steering wheel is showing signs of wear--surface coming off at top...and the side air bag indicator light "flickered" while I was driving the other day.

I asked these questions earlier, didn't see any response--thus I apologize for the redundancy. Just hoping to all these problems taken care of before warranty expires.

Thanks
    Varmit did a very good job describing how the RT4WD works perhaps he could do piece on the auto gear box and how it works.
    The manual do not give the location of the OBDII socket but thanks again.

Varmint drives stick. :-)

OBD port can be either under the lower dash cover on the driver's side, or on the interior console wall on the passenger side. Look for a rectangular connector, similar to GPIB standard connector.
    I bought a 2003 CR-V on Nov 2003 and it currently has 25,000 km (15,500 miles). I brought the car to the dealer because the air conditioner is no longer blowing cold air and the dealer is unable to explain what the problem is. Can someone explain to me what's wrong?

1) The car is less than 2 yrs old and only has 25,000 km. Is it normal for the air conditioner to break down at this stage?
    2) I live in montreal, canada so the air conditioner has been used for about 3 months during the entire life of the car
    3) Lombardi Honda charged me $150.00 to replace the freon in the air conditioner. When asked why it needed to be replaced, they were unable to give me an answer that makes sense.
    4) I called Honda Canada and explained the problem. They told me that the freon is in a closed system and the freon should not have required replacement. When I told this to Lombardi, they said that it is not a closed system and Honda Canada was wrong. I then explained that for any gas not to escape, it had to be placed in a close system. Lombardi's response was that they did an A/C maintenance as specified in the maintenance schedule. As far as they are concerned, the air condition now works so there is nothing wrong.
    5) I checked the maintenance schedule and I couldn't find anything specific about air conditioner maintenance

I think that the dealer needed to empty out the gas in order to perform their analysis and add coloring so that they can finger out where the leak is. They basically, charged me for the materials used to diagnose they problem. They're using a loop hole to get money from a car under warranty. Please, tell me if I'm talking non-sense. Any advice on how I should proceed?

You shouldn't have paid for the service in the first place. However, read your warranty booklet, I know it is difficult to read French (joke) Honda USA covers refrigerant for only 1 year or 12,000 miles. The components them selves are covered up to 3 years.36,000 miles, but not refrigerant. This may be the same for Honda Canada. Refrigerant is covered if another a/c component needs replacement, which requires refrigerant evacuation and re-fill. Reading OWNER's MANUAL may have been benefitial to you. :-)

Freon does not leak out of sealed systems. It only leaks out when there is a breach in a seal. What your dealer should have done is perform leak test to determine where the refrigerant went to. Then, if there was a leak, they should have replaced the component and re-filled with R-134. Which would all be covered under warranty. You will find by the next summer that A/c is not working again.

As preventative maintenace, I would suggest you use it like recommended in the OWNER's MANUAL, once a week for 15 minutes, even in the winter. I highly doubt that Canadian OWNER's MANUAL is very different from US, even though it may be in French in Quebec (joke).
    Thank you for posting your test results. At least now we know how a normal CR-V is supposed to track. I wish my CR-V could go as straight as yours. I will try to test it the same way you did, to have a quantitative answer. By the way, how do you define "beginning drifting to the right/left"? Is it when your right/left front wheel crosses the white separation line on your right/left? Thanks.
    I hear a clicking noise while turning the wheels right or left when stopped. I suppose it is normal.
    Maybe you are hearing the cam that cancels the turn signal clicking, as you go past the stops?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• me3me3 Member Posts: 30
    You are welcome romann.

Regarding "beginning to drift" I mean that the vehicle is just beginning to drift. For me, it is that place where I would want to put my hands back on the wheel and not look like a drunken fool on the road. :) This is before nearing the white line. Had I not taken the wheel again, I feel I would have touched the white line (either Right or Left) in other two seconds.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    They ripped you off. Since your vehicle was still under warranty, I would have insisted that any work be done under warranty and that they do their job and find out why your a/c didn't work. All you can do now is call Honda regional and complain.
    You know...I believe you.

You have driven two CRV's and they both pulled "hard".

I have owned two and driven hundreds and none of them have done this.

I hope YOU believe ME because that's the truth,

And, you are right. a salesperson should know their product!

Didn't know where the spare was....***sigh***