Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    My FIRST oil change was done just over 3000 miles, I was talking about my latest oil change.

How can you have done your oil change at 3000 miles and only have 2800 on her now?

As per your original post

My 2005 CRV does the same thing. I checked the oil level and it was fine. I use synthetic 5w20. I have 2800 miles and 4 months on last oil change. I'm going to stop in my dealership tomorrow and ask service dept about it.
  • mcndiayemcndiaye Member Posts: 2
    I think that it is not a VTEC problems because it is a 2000 model. The check light comes on and goes, i have changes the fuel filter, but still the max rev is at 5000 rpm and max speed at 80MPH. Please help
  • romanmromanm Member Posts: 34
    For us illiterate's in the US that don't know how to convert kilometers to miles, how many miles is 353000 KMs?

353,000 km / 1.609 =~ 219,390 mi

120,000 km / 1.609 =~ 75,000 mi
    279,000km / 1.609 =~ 173,400 mi

("=~" means "approximate")
    How can you have done your oil change at 3000 miles and only have 2800 on her now?

That's simple -- just drive the CR-V in Reverse most of the time :)

I guess, he means 2800 miles and 4 months after the last oil change. So, it adds up to (just over 3000 mi) + 2800 mi = just over 5800 mi, unless there were several oil changes.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    200K+ miles, wow, I'm impressed. I could only hope to get that much out of my '99 CRV, currently with 119K miles. Did you have any major repair problems?
  • jaruylejaruyle Member Posts: 6
    Greetings all: I have an 03 CRV EX, great vehicle, but it has developed rust around the inside of the sunroof frame assembly. I keep it closed at almost all times, and I've found no actual water in that area. Has anyone else out there had this problem, and what can be done about it?
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Thank you for the replies. It was pretty easy to do it, on the 05 it's just a couple of latches. Now the problem is to figure out where the second cabin filter is. The manual I finally managed to get my hands on was for 01-04 Civic/CRV, and shows only the one behind the glove box. Would anyone give me a hint?
    Thanks.
  • minivan561minivan561 Member Posts: 23
    Hi. Are you saying that you mix acetone with gas?
  • kjakja Member Posts: 3
    Did you stop in at the dealer and ask about the noisy valves (only when warm). Any answer from the dealer that helped ?

I ask because I have an appt. at dealer this friday, and would like to know what your dealer said....Thanks
  • jerrygeejerrygee Member Posts: 1
    Hello, all. I'm JerryGee from Queens, NY.We recently picked up an '06 EX in Silver Moss Metallic, and we're loving it. Just wish gas prices were lower so we'd drive it more often... ;)

Anybody have any tips on how to repair or cover scratches on an EX wheel. A couple have appeared mysteriously (not from the curb)... :cry:

Thanks and regards,
    -Jerry
    Hi. Are you saying that you mix acetone with gas?

Used to. Now that all gasoline sold has Ethanol in it, acetone does not work. If you have access to no-ethanol gasoline, I have found 70 ml of Acetone to a tankful of gasoline will boost economy by 2-4 mpg in the CR-V.
  • tortuga1tortuga1 Member Posts: 2
    I have 166000KM on my CRV and just started having shifting problems from Park to Drive. Once I am out of park no problem but at times to get out of Park it takes time.

How do I fix this ??
    I have 166000KM on my CRV and just started having shifting problems from Park to Drive. Once I am out of park no problem but at times to get out of Park it takes time.

How do I fix this ??

Do you park on a hill? Do you apply parking brake BEFORE setting transmission into "park?"
  • stevec10stevec10 Member Posts: 10
    Per my 26 April post, I have a 2005 CRV that does the same thing. I stopped by my dealership on 27 April the service mgr. kept the CRV all afternoon and heard the tapping but only for a few seconds not long enough to locate where the sound came from. I took it to the dealer again this morning because they wanted the car all day, however the engine did not make the tapping sound. The service mgr said Honda has not heard of this problem before. Please let me know what you find out.
  • reelestatereelestate Member Posts: 1
    New to forum, need help. '05 Crv-Lx developed vibration at about 25,000 miles (no problem before). Put new set of tires on and had brake rotors turned - no change. Took to Honda dealer on 3-1-06 and they still have it as of today. So far (not in sequential order)- replaced both front axles, front engine mount, 4 wheel alignment, Phase match and balance tires on vehicle (2 times), tried 4 new steel wheels and tires, tried 4 new alloy wheels and tires, resurfaced rotors (again). Locals have consulted with honda techline 5-7 times, requested field engineer 2 times (last time was 4-28). Told me today to call honda customer care to try and help get engineer down - I called this afternoon - so far no reply. Last time I had to leave message threatening to call superior to get call back. 2 questions, 1) any similar problems and 2) how do I get new car or buy-back because I'll never trust this car again? P.S. Wife has '02 CRV-EX with 83k miles and loves it. Thanks
  • mcdermottmcdermott Member Posts: 29
    Sky:
    Would you be kind enough to give us a step-by-step instruction on how to change the cabin filters? On my 2005 CR-V I removed the glovebox hinges and looked inside. Actually, I don't see anything that even looks like a cabin filter in there.
    Clearly I'm not technically inclined, but I would like to learn how to change the filters myself. Your assistance will be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Jack McDermott
  • tortuga1tortuga1 Member Posts: 2
    No.. it happens on flat or slope..engage brakes then shift to park
    Oh, boy, me giving technical advice - what has the world come to :D
    Anyway, once you release and lower down the glove box you should see the covering plate, right above a round thing with a label (OK, it's fine for everybody to r.o.f.l. here). There is a plastic latch on its left side of the plate, sticking out to the right of a gray electrical plug and above a black electrical plug (nothing to do with the filter, just using those as a landmarks). Release the latch by pushing it to the right and pulling out. The plate should come off. Now you'd be looking at the black plastic casing of the first filter. It has a little jab on the right, next to another jab for the second filter. Pull it out, comes straight out, but when it's almost out you just might need to jiggle it a bit/pull down, because it reaches the inside of the dash. Set it aside and slide out the second filter, which is going to be in that same hole to the right, holding the little jab mentioned above. Slide to the left and pull out. Now just need to remove and discard the paper part of the filter and put the new one, making sure the "AIR FLOW" arrow points in the right direction (down). Install in the reverse order. Hope this helps. Let us know if it worked.
    Chris
    Sky:
    Would you be kind enough to give us a step-by-step instruction on how to change the cabin filters? On my 2005 CR-V I removed the glovebox hinges and looked inside. Actually, I don't see anything that even looks like a cabin filter in there.
    Clearly I'm not technically inclined, but I would like to learn how to change the filters myself. Your assistance will be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Jack McDermott

From the 2003 CR-V OWNER's MANUAL, page 275 Some "smart person" at Honda removed most of the maintenance items from the OWNER's MANUAL.
    New to forum, need help. '05 Crv-Lx developed vibration at about 25,000 miles (no problem before). Put new set of tires on and had brake rotors turned - no change. Took to Honda dealer on 3-1-06 and they still have it as of today. So far (not in sequential order)- replaced both front axles, front engine mount, 4 wheel alignment, Phase match and balance tires on vehicle (2 times), tried 4 new steel wheels and tires, tried 4 new alloy wheels and tires, resurfaced rotors (again). Locals have consulted with honda techline 5-7 times, requested field engineer 2 times (last time was 4-28). Told me today to call honda customer care to try and help get engineer down - I called this afternoon - so far no reply. Last time I had to leave message threatening to call superior to get call back. 2 questions, 1) any similar problems and 2) how do I get new car or buy-back because I'll never trust this car again? P.S. Wife has '02 CRV-EX with 83k miles and loves it. Thanks

The lemon law is state dependant, but most are limited to 2 years or 24,000 miles.

Have the dealer change the rear differential fluid, see if that helps the vibration.
    Yep, just general blah-blah about the filter. Kept the wiper blade replacement though :)
    P.S. The link doesn't load, was just curious to see it.
    A, got it. Wow, would have been nice if they had left that in the 05 Manual.
  • dabbaddabbad Member Posts: 2
    Thermostat for a '97 should be 170 degrees. There are some that go to 180, but OEM specs call for 170 degees. Check Rockauto.com
    They will show an OEM thermostat at 170 and a lot of others at 180. Hope that helps.
    Yep, just general blah-blah about the filter. Kept the wiper blade replacement though
    P.S. The link doesn't load, was just curious to see it.

Yeah, edmunds is funny about secure links. I see you figured it out, just delete the http:// part up to https://

Honda probably figured that since only 5-10% of the new car owners ever open the manual and only 3-5% actually read it and comprehend, why bother. Saves them on printing costs and paper, and people who really want to know will buy the Helms manual anyway, because it is more comprehensive.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The link pastes in here fine for me - your first link had extra http:// stuff in it for some reason.

Here it is again:

techinfo Honda

Steve, Host
    Yep, totally agree with you. It is sad though... For me one of the treats that come with buying a new car, along with the (real) "new car smell", is reading the New Manual. I mean, if you bought a new car, it's most probably an upgrade from what u had up to now, not to mention the improvements that were added for the last 4-5 years. So wouldn't you want to get acquainted with all that and take a full advantage of that fine piece of automotive engineering that you paid a sizeable chunk of do...?
    So wouldn't you want to get acquainted with all that and take a full advantage of that fine piece of automotive engineering that you paid a sizeable chunk of do...?

Logical people would think so.
    Hi. I have a 2006 CRV LX AWD. When the vehicle is just about to stop (speedometer right near zero), I always hear a small click/thunk (like a solenoid actuating) coming from the dashboard area. I can actually feel it through the steering wheel. Does anyone else notice this? Thanks.
  • crv139crv139 Member Posts: 41
    has anyone have a problem with gas gauge not being right on
  • therivertheriver Member Posts: 70
    I don't think this is the same as minivan561 problem, but I have an 04 with 30K. Sometimes when I am backing out of driveway or things like that and turn my wheel I hear a thunk/clunk which is clearly coming from the front right side. Does not do it over bumps or anyother time, just when there is a combination of turning wheel at the right momemnt - most notably backing or taking sharp turns. ANy thoughts. HAve changed rear diffrential long time ago and this is completely different sound
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    I looked for this original message because my 2002 Civic EX was having a clicking noise. Only this noise was quite often, whether hot or cold, though seemed more so when cold. I could hear it when the car was moving too. Took it to the dealer but they couldn't hear it, so a month later took it in again because it was really bothering me. They said it was the timing belt pre-tensioner (?) I believe and something to do with the water pump. I don't know if this is also your problem or not, but wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer about the timing belt. This was the 2nd big problem in a year for this car (the struts failed a year ago) so I traded it in for my 2003 CR-V.
  • rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    I bet those back yard mechanics who change their of pollen filter do it yearly. It is hard to believe that a filter can get so dirty, moldy (yes moldy) with so much crap in it in a year. My two cents to all of the great people who use the Edmunds Boards is change the pollen filters yearly, money well spent!
  • gmoney2gmoney2 Member Posts: 31
    You are right, it is a solenoid. It's the reverse lockout solenoid so you can't put the car into reverse when it's moving forward. When you come to a stop (or almost a complete stop), the lockout disengages, enabling you to put your car in reverse. I, too, noticed this on my 2006 CRV SE, and inquired about it, and this is what I was told. In other words, it's normal.
  • peggy5peggy5 Member Posts: 3
    I read this post today. I have the same problem I think, and that is why I wanted to ask you..is this noise kind of a howling sound when you brake? My mechanic said he cleaned dust off the brakes but the noise is still there. He also said he adjusted the brakes somewhat. He said to bring it back if it didn't help, well I am going to but I just wanted to see what you found out!!! thanks.
  • honcrv222honcrv222 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I also have a 2006 crv lx awd and I also notice the click sound when my car comes to a near stop. But my car
    makes a rubbing(like a sandpaper sound) when everytime I
    start my car and put in drive(d) and reach around 5-10 mph then the rubbing sound kicks in then it goes away. does your cr-v have the same problem? Anybody have any clues?
    Thanks.
    Thanks. So much info in this '03 Manual that I don't have in my '05 Manual. I am definitely going to print it out and read.

Does it mean that '02 Manual has even more info? :)
  • lormsonlormson Member Posts: 2
    Last week at 51,000 miles, my compressor exploded. Honda gave me an estimate of $2,500 and offered to pay half. I'm sorry, but by the number of posts I'm finding, Honda should have recalled the 2003-2003 Honda CRV for A/C problems. How many Honda's have to have A/C problems before Honda will take action and live up to their name?
  • cal_ravencal_raven Member Posts: 8
    I might have missed others talking about the throttle position sensors problems on CR-Vs sorry if this is old news. My 2002 CR-V check engine light came on the other day and started acting strange. I took it to the dealer and they said " Oh its the Throttle position sensor CODE PO122 is bad and they must replace the whole throttle body. The estimate was $1200. They did not know that my sister had the same problem last month and Honda covered all of it. I ask the service tec why they would not cover it as my sister " at a different dealer" They said its over 36000 miles. I called honda of america and got the same round around. I then called to talk to the service manager, got his voice mail and left he a message about my problem. About 1 hour later the dealer called and said they do the work for free. My CR-V has 67,000 miles on it and a lot of other CR-V owners are having this same problem. Don't give up, Honda has a problem with this part and are quietly trying to cover it up.
  • lizzyslizzys Member Posts: 7
    So I'm reading all of these issues with CR-V A/C units. What are the symptoms that they are portraying? I have an 2003 CR-V with 35,000 miles on it, no problems yet, but I'm wondering what I have to look foward to
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    If you hear a loud bang under your dash, that's the compressor exploding inside. I've heard that turning your A/C on in the winter (heat setting on high so you don't freeze) is recommended.
  • crvcagirlcrvcagirl Member Posts: 1
    I have a '05 CRV EX. For the past 2 months, I hear noises coming from the rear wheels when I make tight turns. I especially hear it when I'm in a parking structure and I'm making a turn? I've read on this forum that it might be the rear fluid and it just needst to be replaced. If so, doest his fall under the warranty I bought? Anyone know how much it costs? Thank you.
  • therenfeldtherenfeld Member Posts: 3
    I originated this situation and have went thru the changing of the phone charger with no help. I have further troubleshoot it and have came to this situation. The battery reads 12.6 volts with just the ignition on without the engine running. 13.2 running. Anyway the only time it blows the fuse is when cell phone or inverter are plugged in during the start operation. If I plug them in after start no problem. Also interesting is they run ok with just the ignition on without the engine running. Can not find a honda site which I can submit this to. Anyway I know how to work around it now. This is only on my CRV but no other cars in our family of other makes??????????
    In my 2006 CRV LX 4WD, I get a clunk/slight rubbing sound from the front when driving forward the first couple of feet. I believe it's due to the brake caliper clearance, which is normal. I get the same sound from my 2005 Odyssey EX. Some have reported that the dealer can fix this, but the brakes are fine without any fix.
  • lormsonlormson Member Posts: 2
    I too heard a loud noise but at the time thought I must have run over something....I couldn't figure out what it was. Then the car was running sluggish and the air stopped working. I was completely surprised when they told me the compressor blew up....$2,500.00. I have them down to paying 75% of the bill but I still think the cars should be recalled and fixed for free. Good luck when you hit about 51,000 miles.
  • kwodonnellkwodonnell Member Posts: 3
    I just got back from the Honda dealer where I was told that the A/C compressor on my '03 CRV will cost me $1,600 dollars. I'm furious. I had the A/C go out on me while the car was still under warranty but they just recharged it. Now the whole thing is blown. It's comforting to hear that I am not alone. A quick google of "CRV A/C problem" gets me a ton of hits. Clearly this is a defect and hopefully Honda Canada will cover it. The dealer was no help at all, they charged me $100 but tell me it'll cost $1,600 more. Argh!
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I just got back from the Honda dealer where I was told that the A/C compressor on my '03 CRV will cost me $1,600 dollars. I'm furious. I had the A/C go out on me while the car was still under warranty but they just recharged it. Now the whole thing is blown. It's comforting to hear that I am not alone. A quick google of "CRV A/C problem" gets me a ton of hits. Clearly this is a defect and hopefully Honda Canada will cover it. The dealer was no help at all, they charged me $100 but tell me it'll cost $1,600 more. Argh!"

Now is the time for anyone still in the warranty period to pick up the extended warranty... it can be ordered so long as you have less than 3 yrs / 36K miles.
  • swycswyc Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 CRV's A/C also blew. They replaced the whole system at no charge. It has 47k miles. Used alot in the desert of Southern Calif. Evidently Honda is starting to step up to the plate.
  • swycswyc Member Posts: 2
    compressor will freeze up. Engine will die at idle when this happens. Turn a/c off to save clutch. It happens quickly. My CRV blew at 47k. Honda paid. Also the valve timing solenoid valve went recently. I had to pay
  • blusiameseblusiamese Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 CR-V that came with Bridgestone Dueler tires. I have 25000 miles on mine and the tires need replacing. I am not happy with this! I, too, have had them balanced, rotated, and aligned at the required intervals. Mine started showing serious wear at about 21000 miles. A service rep at my local Honda dealer did say that he has seen this with other CR-V's but did tell me I would have to speak with the service manager and bring my car in to show him. I haven't done it yet, but probably will this coming week.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Save yourself some grief and buy a new set of tires... No service manager is going to do anything for you on a set of tires that have 25K miles..

I agree... The Duelers are crappy tires... I ditched mine at 30K... But, your local service manager has ZERO ability to do anything about it.. or interest for that matter..

Fortunately, 205/70-15 tires are not that expensive.. You'll be so happy with your new set, in comparison to the Duelers, that you will forget all about the cost...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator