Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Yeah, Honda doesn't make the tires, they just buy them and stick them on the car. New, quality tires will transform just about any vehicle with old, worn tires.

Pony up at tirerack.com and get yourself some new shoes! The service manager has a lot better things to do than worry about those crappy tires.

TB
  • lmahler2lmahler2 Member Posts: 5
    Good afternoon,
    I lost my 2000 CRV to a garage fire and I purchased a 2006 CRV back in December. 2 issues:
    1) I still continue to hear brake growling even though the car is 6 months old. I am going in for a servicing and will check it out. I call it growling because my first Honda (1989 Accord) also had this brake noise and I was told that it was characteristic of these cars.
    2) I bet this never happened to any of you. I was getting the car washed and prior to the washing I decided to put the alarm in valet mode. On my car you turn the ignition key and then press the red valet light. I guess I don't know my own strength these days because when I went to press the valet light it went right into the dashboard and I cannot get it out. I will address this at servicing as well. Otherwise the car is mechanically sound and dependable as usual. Thanx to all
  • lmahler2lmahler2 Member Posts: 5
    Good afternoon,
    I just posted a similar message today. I think they call it Brake growling. I have that noise with my car and will check it out next week at the servicing. I would not be too concerned. As stated in my message this just may be characteristic of these cars. Have a nice weekend.
    Anybody have a link for the directions on changing the cabin filter in the Odyssey?

Thanks.

TB
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Could not agree more. Paying a little more for good quality tires pays off big time. More than 3 years ago I put Hydroedge on my 01 Galant - have about 60K on them currently and next time (maybe this fall) will do it again. For less than $100.00 more for 4 tires you get a lot for 4 years.
    And speaking of tires, I've always wondered how come my 05 SE (bought new with 6 miles) came with BF Goodrich Traction T/As, not with the Bridgestone Duelers which are considered standard for the CRV and everybody hates them.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Member Posts: 29
    Odyssey cabin filter instructions can be viewed/downloaded at:

http://www.micronair.us/Honda/56

Good luck...

Jack
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    varmint, "Honda CR-V Owners: FAQ" #3, 22 Nov 2003 10:10 am

That link will describe the problem for you.

This is not a case where something has been broken. It is simply a fluid that wears out with use. You need to change the oil in your vehicle on a regular basis and you need to change the rear diff fluid regularly. It's maintenance.

I wouldn't expect the cost to run anymore than $30-50. Things get way more expensive if you try to ignore the noise. Have it done every 40K miles, or so.
  • defieldingdefielding Member Posts: 35
    The BF Goodrich tires are also standard tires along with the Duelers, (have been on both generation 1 and 2 CRVs). The BF Goodrich tires are definately better than the Duelers but replacement tires are much better still. I'm very happy with my Hankook Mileage Plus tires.
    How probable would it be for the Dual Pump Fluid to break down at 17K? Since I had read the thread (thank you!) I knew immediately what that weird noise was when making sharp turns. For now it's intermittent, but I think I'll quiz the dealer at the next service... Or maybe before that.
    Ah, so I just got lucky... Will probably go with Hydroedge on the CR-V too, when the time comes.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Our 2003 CRV has 23,000 miles and I'm happy that the Duelers are starting to et to the replacement point!

Happy? You bet! I'll replace them with something QUIETER!

Any suggestions?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I tried Bridgestone Turanza LS-T... While, in theory, they should have been great, my dealer got a bad batch, couldn't get rid of harmonic vibration, and eventually took them back...(very frustrating!) I have a set of Turanza LS-H on a Legend, and they are fantastic, which is why I picked them in the first place.. not cheap.. It might have been just bad luck...

I ended up with the BFGoodrich Touring T/A that were the stock tire on the 1st generation CR-V... Mostly because he had them in stock, and I knew what I was getting.. About 35K on them now... From previous experience, I'll probably get about 50K.. just an average tire...(cheap).

The general consensus that I've seen from other members that have CR-Vs?

Budget price: Yokohama Avid (T4?).

Premium price: Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

If a good ride, and quiet tires are important, I'd pony up for the Goodyears... I've not read a single complaint on this specific tire.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cdamechcdamech Member Posts: 31
    I also have the same noise on my 2006 CRV EXL and get a thud from the front dash as I come to a stop. Just before it comes to a stop I hear a RELAY or switch activate. Is this normal?
  • coudiebugcoudiebug Member Posts: 26
    Yep, I concur. I did go for the Assurance Triple Tred and they are excellent on slick roads. And much more quieter than the Duelers too...If you shop around, you can get them at a reasonable cost. I am very happy with them.
  • wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    I've got the Hydroedge on my gen 1 CR-V for almost 10k miles now. Love them. Not the quietest tires, but tracks great in dry, wet, and snow. Got them at Costco with a $50 mail in rebate, plus road hazard warranty for free. :)
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I also have the same noise on my 2006 CRV EXL and get a thud from the front dash as I come to a stop. Just before it comes to a stop I hear a RELAY or switch activate. Is this normal?

Lockout solenoid. Only automatics have them. Manuals don't. No noise in the manual version. :P
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I replaced my original tires when they wore out with Michelin X-Ones, great tire but pricey. When the X-Ones wore out I went cheap and ordered Kumho Touring A/S 795's from tirerack.com, great reviews on tirerack, but it was a big mistake, they stink.
    That would be the first time I've heard of the fluid wearing out so quickly. 30K miles would be about as fast as I'd expect, unless you drive across the tundra on your way to work every morning.

Do you drive on slick surfaces frequently?

Have you swapped out any of the tires on your vehicle?
    Well, MN would be more or less slick Nov through May. And the noise is intermittent. All I've done is the tire rotation at 10K.
    I'll monitor the issue and maybe take it to the dealer and see what they say. My other issue is the driver seat back heater - from what the manual says there should be one, I also saw it mentioned on a couple of occasions under Service Bulletins on the NHTSA web site. I remember this was discussed on this thread last year, but nothing was confirmed.
  • jsgallmanjsgallman Member Posts: 2
    Chris, I also got the same info from Honda that the tps is not replaceable by itself. $1200 to replace throttle body (ouch)!!! I have tried and can't find a shop that rebuilds throttle bodies in my area (charlotte North Carolina) My mechanic says the TPS just bolts on with 2 bolts on the outside of the throttle body but can't get it by itself without buying the whole body.
    Does anyone have any tips on how i can go about finding a shop that would maybe have a Throttle Position Sensor available by itself.
    Thanks, Steve
    Salvage yard?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jsgallmanjsgallman Member Posts: 2
    Dave, Thanks for the info. Apparently Honda has their profit generating machine at work with this one. John told me the same as Majestic and that is that the sensor is not available by itself. Bummer. I guess I'll order from Majestic as their price is better. Thanks again! Steve
  • frank1028frank1028 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a new basic 2006 CRV LX 2WD. Thought it is a new vehicle but turns out to a used one (demo?) with 300 miles. Got it for 20,600 $US walkout price with a manufacturer tinted glass option. The vehicle seems OK and enjoy driving it. Read this forum and noted that the air conditioner might be a big problem down the road. Is it worth $1300 to by the 100K and 7 years warranty at this time? I have Dunlop tires which I do not see any mentioning in the forum. Is these manufacturer tires and how long the first set will last?

Thanks,

Frank
  • pelksterpelkster Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 99 CRV and had the same problem. Mechanic told me differential was shot so I took it back a couple days after purchase and service manager said replacing differential fluid will resolve. Needs to be done every 15,000 miles on CRVs. So far it has solved the problem. No more noise and vibration/shuddering on tight slow turns going forward. You probably solved it by now but hope this helps.
    Pelkster
  • cdamechcdamech Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for your response. Are you saying then this is normal? :confuse:
  • redsox111redsox111 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone notice if the CRV steering is a little more stiff than the camry or even the rav4? Is that normal? Also, does anyone recommend a decent shop/dealership in new jersey for service/maintenance? Thanks.
  • leavenfish1leavenfish1 Member Posts: 65
    The 2WD EX I drove yesterday...the steering was a LOT stiff! Particularly compared to the Civic I had just driven...the breaks seemed a bit hard to mash down as well.
  • darmacdarmac Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I have a bit of a problem with my 1997 CR-V. It has a fuel leak where the line comes out from the tank. specifically the junction of the two lines. Is there an emergency shut off valve? :cry:
    Thanks for the link! TB
  • nolefan1nolefan1 Member Posts: 17
    I posted a question about this clicking several months ago and most people who replied mentioned that it was normal. So, I assumed that it was and went on with life. Approximately 2 months ago, I noticed that the faint clicking sound started to intermittently change to a metalic clunking sound. After a few weeks it always made the louder metalic clunking sound and I could actually feel a slight thump in my steering wheel. (click, clunk thump, I know it sounds crazy) Anyway, I decided to take it in the Clair Honda in West Roxbury, MA. The service tech was nice and said they'd take a look. Next day received a call that the noise was normal and that I could pick it up. After telling them that the sound had changed they told me that my only option was to take a test drive with the service manager. I did so, but before we got in the car he admitted that while all CRVs make this sound normally, mine was louder than the sound he heard on a comparison car. Even so, they did not change out the shift solenoid. I had to come in and point out the abnormal noise that they already heard. So, we took it out for a quick 30 foot drive, I pointed out the sound. He agreed that it was present and he offered to demonstrate the sound on a brand new CRV. Fortunately for me, it didn't make any noise at all. The manager reluctantly mentioned that he could attempt replacing the shift solenoid switch but he couldn't promise resolution. I took him up on it (more appropriately, gently persuaded him) and the next day I got my car back- without any noise or thumping in my steering wheel. In my experience a faint noise is infrequently heard and is normal. Thumping in the steering wheel and a much louder noise is not- and it can be fixed under warranty.
    Hope this helps.
    Ask them to swap your tranny with a manual, it will definatley solve the problem :P
    That's the first time I've read about the solenoid noise getting louder over time.

Good job working it out with the dealer. It pays to be persistent.
  • curious3curious3 Member Posts: 1
    I have found bad area on serpentine belt pulley....middle of pulley has rough area almost like irregular weld line on pulley surface and seems to be causing wear on belt....interestingly enough found same spot on my wife's CRV, same year and same pulley and same wear marks....seems to be factory defect in pulley mold casting....any ideas or suggestions???
  • mikec14mikec14 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 CR-V with about 100,000km on it, and lately the rear door handle is sticking when I pull up on it to open the door, the end result being that that the door won't close. So I have to basically hold it in place and then close the glass (which prevents the rear door from swinging open while driving, but it's still not properly shut). Honda service says that happens sometimes, and it's going to be $250 to fix! Seems excessive to me...anyone else have this problem?
    Thanks.
  • marayamaraya Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 06 CR-V on May 5 and since then I have noticed a mild vibration as I am accelerating. I can feel the vibration at all times when I hit 50 MPH, whether I am accelerating past that speed or cruising at a constant speed of 50 MPH. When I say mild, that's what I mean. My steering wheel doesn't shake fiercely, but I can feel a definite change in the car between 50 and 60 MPH, no matter the road conditions. I can feel this vibration mostly in my seat and on my back. Once above 60 MPH, the vibration stops and the car rides smooth again. During the test drive, I mentioned this to the salesperson and he explained that it could be that the car wasn't 'broken it' yet and said he would have the tires balanced as I was signing the papers (I'm not sure if all 4 were balanced or only the front 2). On the ride home (about 40 miles away), I didn't notice the vibration as much so I assumed the balancing of tires had corrected the issue. After about a week, I began to notice it again. I'm just curious whether anyone else has had this issue or if it could possibly be a difference in the feel of the ride, as I traded up from a 03 Chevrolet Malibu. Also, today as I was driving down the interstate I noticed that my steering wheel started shaking mildly as I approached 70 MPH. That is the first time I've noticed or felt that. I think the tires on my CR-V are Bridgestone. Could the problem be with the tires? Should I ask my salesperson to have the alignment checked or to balance all 4 tires again? This is my only concern with my new CR-V and it's not a major problem, but I would like to know if it's something you think I should get checked out. Otherwise, I am totally pleased with my purchase (especially since I am averaging about 27 miles per gallon!). Thanks for your time and suggestions!

BTW, the car now has 2,000 miles on it, so I'm sure I've passed the break in period.
  • waltswalts Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 CR-V that experienced a compressor explosion in June 2005 at 32.5K miles. Last night, I experienced the same results with the 'new' compressor that was installed last year. The dealer told me this morning that they have seen a number of these problems and they would be replacing this one at no cost to me (43K miles and out of warranty). Those of you who are having to pay for this repair should push back with Honda. Or, go to another dealer.
  • sasnhsasnh Member Posts: 1
    In 1998 Cr-V ex the sound system displays err-3 but no function works. Does anyone know what this means?
  • hnwilsonhnwilson Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard of throttle problems on 05 CRV's? I was at a red light with my foot on the brake and when the light turned green and I released my foot (without pressing the gas pedal) my car lounged forward and ran into the back of someone. I then slammed my brakes with both feet because my car kept accelerating towards her vechile. The only way it would stop was to turn my vechile off.
  • redsox111redsox111 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    since i bought the car in october, the radio has resetted the pre-set stations about 4 - 5 times. anyone have a clue?
  • tom32tom32 Member Posts: 2
    I need help with some information. Our 2003 honda CR-V has 67000 miles on it. The head gasket just blew and the repair cost will be $2500. We have always had it service at a honda service dealership. Is there any chance honda may help with the cost? Who would I contact? Thanks for any input.
    I need help with some information. Our 2003 honda CR-V has 67000 miles on it. The head gasket just blew and the repair cost will be $2500. We have always had it service at a honda service dealership. Is there any chance honda may help with the cost? Who would I contact? Thanks for any input.

Call the Honda corporate customer service line and explain the situation. The number is on the back of your OWNER's MANUAL.
  • jaruylejaruyle Member Posts: 6
    Apparently no one else seems to have this issue - however, I had the Honda folks look at it, and they said they've never seen anything like it. Even though it's out of original warranty, Honda is replacing the roof/frame at no charge. They believe a seal in the actual roof failed (or was not installed correctly). The tub around the sunroof is intact. I advise all to do a quick eyeball of their roof glass frame. JaRuyle
  • ghost666ghost666 Member Posts: 2
    2001 Honda CR-V EX 4WD 4dr (45.6K miles)

For the past 2 years, I have noticed a pinging noise, similar to low octane ping. I have mentioned this every time I bring my car is for its regular service. Mechanic never is able to detect the noise. Twice during the regular scheduled service, valves were adjusted; each time was told nothing unusual was detected.

Noise occurs only when the car sits for more then an hour or so. Noise occurs when you first shift into second, and third gears as you apply gas. This happens for the first mile or so of city driving.

Today I had my 45K service done, all looked good. This time I asked the mechanic to go for a drive with me. Noise was detected.

Mechanic made an observation regarding my shifting timing. I’m shifting gears at around 1500 RPM, mechanic says I should do it around 3000 RPM. He said this could be the cause of the pinging. He also said I would improve gas mileage by doing this.

Tonight after work, I followed his advice, but is was hard to tell, since now the revving it up to 3000 RPM each time I shift drowns the pinging.

Any of this makes sense?

Thanks for any advice.
    Mechanic made an observation regarding my shifting timing. I’m shifting gears at around 1500 RPM, mechanic says I should do it around 3000 RPM. He said this could be the cause of the pinging.

So after you shift your RPM's drop to bellow 1000? Sounds like a logical explanation for a noise that laboring engine would make.
  • larryn1larryn1 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i also have an 05 CRV, with 24K miles. There was noise coming from the rear on sharp turns. Went to dealer today to get it fixed under warranty. Was told that replacing the rear diff. fluid would fix it but that it was not covered under warranty since its fluids and maintenance. I insisted that the fluid be replaced under warranty. Service manager called honda and they decided to replace it this one time without cost. I told them that the book says to replace it at something like 60K, and that I came in to have them get rid of the noise and that since the car was under warranty, there should be no charge. So, after the phone call they did it for no charge. Had to argue quite a bit to get this accomplished but they finally gave in. good luck. larry
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like you are "lugging" the engine and should shift at higher rpm. Lugging can be very bad for an engine and it's a habit you should try to break whenever you can. If you start shifting at 2,000 or so and still get the ping, then maybe it's not you after all.
    Wow.... 2001 CR-V and you are shifting at 1500 RPM? I'm surprised you haven't been run over.. ;)

Start winding that baby out, and you won't believe how much more fun you'll have...

Seriously, I agree with the others... you've been lugging the engine.. Your RPMs should be above 1500 (preferably 2K), after you shift.. I think your mechanic has this pegged.. You'll be doing yourself and your car a favor, if you can change your shifting habits..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    And besides, doesn't shifting at low RPMs put additional wear and tear on the clutch?
  • jerrymoljerrymol Member Posts: 3
    Folks, I've owned my 04 CRV since new and have a recurring (and fairly loud) rattle that appears to be under the passenger seat or in the right side rocker panel. Of significance, this occurs only when the car has reached normal operating temperatures and only when making left turns. Is more pronounced when going over a small bump such as a driveway entrance. But again, only with left turns. Have had the vehicle to the dealer for this 4 times. They have checked areas of front end, replaced some front end bushings, moved the engine away from the frame, checked front brakes. Each time they pronounced the issue as cured. Each time it came back as soon as I had driven a mile or so and made a left turn. The vehicle has only 37,000 miles, never in an accident. Very frustrating since I had changed from a Ford to a Honda for better quality. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Jerry
    Same here on an '02...

They did the thing where they loosened a mount... shifted the engine slightly, then torqued it back down... That worked for about a month...

Sadly, I just ignore it, now...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator