Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    I recently installed Michelin LTX-MS tire on my wife's Mountaineer (Explorer) and they are the best tires we've ever owned. Had 'me on an old '99 Explorer and I promised myself I'd get them on the new one as I did and they are great.

I am wondering about putting this tire on my '05 CRV-SE? It is too "truck-ie" for this vehicle? I live in Pittsburgh and we burn thru tires (up and down hills all day long). The truck-like characteristics of the LTX-MS seems to hold up better. Currently are 14 month old CR-V has 10,000 miles on it, but the burn rate will be much quicker now that my teen daughter is driving (so will my hair-graying rate). The factory Bridgestone Dueler tires are crap...about 1/2 to 3/4 worn to replacement.

So what do you folks think about the tire I propose?
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    While it's good to maintain your vehicle, I have found that overmaintaining it is a waste. And often dealers push overmaintenance. In other words, you are probably better off NOT getting overly involved with the dealership and taking your risk that the alleged repair that they claim they'd fix won't happen anyway (hey, that's why you bot a Honda!!)!

In other words, getting lovey-dovey with the dealer is a high priced insurance policy on a low risk item.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The Bridgestone tire sticker says ~26PSI - is that right? It looks like I have four flat tires!
    Neat car - when my son lets me drive it..."

I think the book says 27, but you can put anything you want up to the max cold pressure. I kept 33 - 35 in my 2003, for better fuel economy. And your son is young enough to take the harder ride... :P
  • daedae Member Posts: 143
    Just think, every morning at 3 am, Honda will wirelessly connect with your car and update the manual, the maps, recode the tranny shift points based on your previous day's habits, and then email you your mpg summary and maintenance reminders.

Would be a bit of a bummer to have it reboot while you are driving at 3am... :surprise:
  • rretffrretff Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2006 CR-V on 7/6 and on the way home on the freeway the VSA, ABS and the VSA off lights went on. Stopped and turned the car off and on and the lights went off for awhile. Took the car back the next day and the dealer said this dosn't happen on a CR-V so after a couple of hours they said "we fixed it" NOT TRUE- did it again on the way home so back I went and they gave me a rental car. The CR-V is still in the shop and I have a Pontiac Grand Prix.
    Anyone out there that has had this type of problem fixed.
    Just purchased a 2006 CR-V on 7/6 and on the way home on the freeway the VSA, ABS and the VSA off lights went on.

Gremlins. OMG, they killed a sensor. :sick:
    Had a headache after 1/2 hour highway driving - absolutely shocking.

That's odd. It is louder then some other cars, but nowhere close to beeing THAT loud.

I guess you are just too sensitive.
  • fergusviewfergusview Member Posts: 1
    I have a [non-permissible content removed] import 1996 Honda CRV. It is making a humming noise in the dashboard behind the large glove compartment on the passenger side. You can hear it when the ignition is off. Whatever it is is causing my battery to go dead. I've even replaced my battery but is still happening.

When I take off the glove compartment I see some large units. Could it be the heating system or air-conditioning system.

Can someone please tell me what this humming noise could be and how to fix it.">
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    behind the glovebox is probably the cabin air-filter assembly.

when you hear this sound, have you opened the hood to see if it is the radiator fans? if they continue to run to the point of running down the battery, could be a thermostat issue or a fan relay issue. you can probably rule in/out the fan relay by looking at the relay/fuse box in the engine compartment and swapping an identical relay for the fan with something else (in my '94 accord, it was a power window relay). so then, if it is the radiator fan, but swapping the relay doesn't fix it, it could be the thermostat.

lets say it isn't the radiator fan. is it the blower motor for the cabin fan?

lets say it isn't that. where is your antenna located? is it one that when you turn the radio on, it goes up?

open up the engine compartment, and pull the cover on the relay housing and go from there. If it's located on that side of the vehicle, mayne it is a relay that is chattering.
  • supercalifragsupercalifrag Member Posts: 9
    Purchased a 2006 SE last month. The one thing that I have noticed since the first day (so I hope this is just a standard "flaw") is that when I start to decelerate (without applying the brake), I feel this pull at about 25 mph which feels like the CR-V is quickly trying to stop. For example, I'll be going 30 mph, then 29, 28, 27, 26, 25 and then it seems to slow right to 20 mph. Anyone else experience this?
    one thing that I have noticed since the first day (so I hope this is just a standard "flaw") is that when I start to decelerate (without applying the brake), I feel this pull at about 25 mph which feels like the CR-V is quickly trying to stop.

Upshift? Watch tachometer.
    OOPS. I forgot to mention it's automatic transmission.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    OOPS. I forgot to mention it's automatic transmission.

Honda Automatic will downshift when you slow down, it is related to grade logic circuitry. Watch your RPM's when it does that. They should jump 500 RPM.
  • capillarycapillary Member Posts: 2
    When I entered my CRV, my knee accidently touched the steering wheel and made it turned a little bit (I heard a click sound). After that, I can't start the engine anymore. Looks like it's some kind of anti-theft measure initiated. Anyone knows how to solve this problem?
  • joebtjoebt Member Posts: 7
    Have an 05 CRV-EX automatic. It has a problem with acceleration lag when you are just driving along at a constant speed, then say you let off the accelerator to go around a corner or to slow for traffic in front of you. When you go to accelerate the car feels like it almost going to stall before it accelerates. The dealer can recreate this problem and now has two pages of maintance notes of what they have done to try and fix this problem with the help of the Honda Techline folks to no avail. They have sent back all kinds of snap shots of the cars performace and have tried replacing the VTC Solenoid; pinching the purge solenoid line close; disconnecting the air/fuel sensor to put the computer in backup mode; new map sensor; new pcm updates; new throttle body; was sent a known good pcm by Techline; checked fuel pressure - esp. when the problem occured; replaced the fuel injectors; purged the fuel system and tried there own fuel supply. After all that the problem is still there, they are talking about Honda sending out their own Techs to work on it. Any ideas out there on what could be causing this...
  • herb273herb273 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2006 CRV LX AWD about 3 weeks ago. I see a lot of people complaining about road noise, but what I am noticing is what I would describe as "exhaust system" noise. (very well may be "intake" noise also). This obviously occurs during acceleration and then goes away at cruising speed. I am coming from a Toyota Camry 6 cylinder, which of course was very quiet and smooth. I realize the CRV is a small SUV and is not going to be the same.... Just wondering if all newer CRV's with the i-vtec engines have a "truck like" sound?
  • mariandavismariandavis Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2005 CRV. The muffler has been painted black--I looked at the new ones on the lot and they all seem to be painted black. The black paint is peeling off my muffler and looks terrible. I was told by the service manager that the black paint will peel off all the mufflers, and that it is just put there by the manufacturere for looks and protection while the car is sitting on the lot. Any experience with this? Thanks.
    Thanks for the info. It's reassuring when you find out it's not a problem. :)
  • tex_dudetex_dude Member Posts: 3
    I haven't noticed that...also have 2006 CR-V SE. Do you notice vibration when you go over 60? Mine has it...test drove a couple of others and they had it too.
    When I entered my CRV, my knee accidently touched the steering wheel and made it turned a little bit (I heard a click sound). After that, I can't start the engine anymore. Looks like it's some kind of anti-theft measure initiated. Anyone knows how to solve this problem?

By reading the OWNER's MANUAL!

Yes, CR-V has the steering wheel lock, which is activated when the key is removed. There is a pin that locks the column so that a thief (in theory) can't steer if they have by passed the immobilizer and started car. It doesn;t always activate because it is set to work only a a few angles of the steering wheel.

Time to break out the MANUAL out of its wrappers.
    I bought a 2006 CRV LX AWD about 3 weeks ago. I see a lot of people complaining about road noise, but what I am noticing is what I would describe as "exhaust system" noise. (very well may be "intake" noise also). This obviously occurs during acceleration and then goes away at cruising speed. I am coming from a Toyota Camry 6 cylinder, which of course was very quiet and smooth. I realize the CRV is a small SUV and is not going to be the same.... Just wondering if all newer CRV's with the i-vtec engines have a "truck like" sound?

That's the Honda vs. Toyota thing. Toyota isolates the driver from the car or the road with overboosted steering assists, and excessive sound insulation. Honda, on the other hand, makes cars that are sportier and "tell" the driver what is going on. Some like it some don't.

Think of Toyota as Mercedes, and Honda as BMW.
  • herb273herb273 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply... since I posted the original message, I got a chance to drive a neighbors 2005 CRV and did hear a noticeable difference (hers has about 10,000 miles on it. The dealer says there is no real difference between the 2005 & 2006 model). Without telling the neighbor what I was actually comparing, I let her drive mine and her first comment was "well yours is a lot louder". So I made an appointment with the service department. Let them see if they forgot something at the factory , like a muffler ....
    Let them see if they forgot something at the factory , like a muffler ....

Check the air filter box, see if it is closed.

The only time I heard my CR-V make noise similar to not having a muffler is when driving in 2+ feet of snow this past February.
    I haven't been on the road much where I've had to go over 60 miles an hour since getting the CR-V in May. I'm one of those suburbanites. But going to Chicago 3 or 4 times has not resulted in any vibrations when going over 60. There's something about a 2-minute, 6-mile commute. :blush:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the dedicated CR-V tire discussion. New wheel talk is good too.

Honda CR-V Tires & Wheels
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    Does anyone have suggestions for how to adjust the parking brake on an '02 CRV? I followed the instructions on Alldata specifying to lock the rear wheels with the adjuster and backing off 8 clicks. Then I adjusted the front cable until just before the brake starts to drag with one click on the lever. Seems that I need to pull the lever most of the way with excessive force before the parking brake holds. Thanks. :confuse:
  • tennisgirl2tennisgirl2 Member Posts: 4
    I have had this same problem since I purchased in October 2005. This is my second CRV, had a 2002, this one is much noisier, the vibration noise is annoying. First they gave me a new exhaust system, then a new drive shaft. So they obviously think there is a problem, not my imagination. I now have 10,000 miles and still is not better. I have never purchased a new car and wanted my old one back!! I even bought quieter tires -- didn't help much.
  • rick58rick58 Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering if anyone else has the following problem. I have a 2006 CR-V automatic. I swear the brakes sometimes are good and firm and sometimes they are mush. I took it to the dealer and the service writer diagnosed it from his desk as a master cylinder failure. I've had a car in the past that had a master cylinder go and this was not the same but hoped the car would get looked over and get lucky solving my original issue. Now when I drive I also hear the brakes grab and the lovely noise as they rub to a stop. I only have 5K miles on the car. I've driven dozens of cars over 30 years and never experienced this. It's not stop and go brake fade. When you get in to drive they are sither firm or limp. Thank you all in advance for any help you offer.
  • jklivejklive Member Posts: 2
    Hi all--I have a 2005 CRV and have noticed a definite "moaning" type of noise when making a hard right or left turn. The noise seems to come from the rear right of the car.
    Anyone else experience this? Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    Try having the dealer change the rear differential fluid. Maybe they will do under warranty since less than 3 years old, if less than 36,000 miles. Otherwise it shouldn't cost more than around $75 or so.
  • emeraldelfemeraldelf Member Posts: 1
    I have had a similar experience although with a 2004 CR-V and lower mileage. Have you gotten satisfactory service from the dealership and/or American Honda, as in assistance with payment? Have they blamed it on you or considered that the part may have been defective to start with? Have you seen this? http://experts.about.com/q/Honda-Repair-814/Blown-Head-Gasket-1.htm
    I realize that you have probably dealt with your problem by now but I would be interested in knowing the results or if you are still in the midst or working on the issue.
  • darlingcrvdarlingcrv Member Posts: 13
    I had a similar problem with mine just yesterday. However, I couldn't even get the key to go in all the way. Funny thing is your post was what I thought about when it happened because I remembered reading it a few days ago.

I found that if I clicked the "unlock" button on the remote I was then able to get the key in and start with no problem.

Kind of quirky but was glad I could get it to go. I must say though I did PANIC when it happened as my SE only has 300 miles on it!
  • lizbethannlizbethann Member Posts: 3
    If anyone has a suggestion I would appreciate really appreciate it!

I have a 2004 CRV with almost 7,000 miles (short commute to work!). The other day my check engine light came on and when I checked here and the owners manual it said if I had just refueled to tighten gas cap and drive it for several days and it should go off.

I had just refueled, so I have done that and have now driven about 100 miles and the light is still on. My brother another CRV owner thinks it takes more miles to make the light go off. I don't want to damage the car, does anyone know about how long it takes if it was a gas cap problem before it will go off?

Thank you so much!
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    You can unplug the battery for 5-10 minutes and it will reset it but if there is something else that is the problem it will come back on.

Good Luck

M
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    ...sorry I misspelled some words in the earlier posting...

Hello I just wanted to tell everyone that HONDA really backs up their product.
    I just had the trans replaced a power door-lock (slider driver) and replaced the ignition interlock on a van that is OVER 7 years old and has almost 80,000 miles on the odo. No hassle, no BS just yes sir we will repair this under Honda's warranty service. I never bought an extended warranty either. I will drive nothing but Hondas from now on and I will most likely buy them at Norm Reeves in Cerritos SoCal!!!!

Sidenote, - I had a lincoln continental, blew the trans at 72K, the motor at 75K and the suspension at 80Kmls. Ford told me to go fly a kite every time! Guess what? -- I dissuaded at least three peoples from buying a ford product, but have swayed at least six peoples to buy Hondas. I have three Hondas: a '91 Accord, a '99 Odyssey, and an '05 CR-V...
    And I really want to add an Element to the list... :-)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi,

I'm going to move your CR-V AC question to the topic covering those particular issues. Here's the link:

Honda CR-V AC Problems

MrShiftright
    Host
  • crvmancrvman Member Posts: 14
    Good evening. I have a 2006 CRV. From the first day I drove the car off the lot I keep seeing the "tailgate open" indicator light flashing on the dashboard. This poses 2 issues. The first is that at night that flickering light can be distracting and secondly, sometimes the alarm will not arm unless I open the tailgate and slam the door closed. I have gone back to my original dealer twice however the fixes never stay. I am now going to go to the Honda dealer who services my car and see if he can fix the problem. Sounds like such an easy fix however I am wondering if anybody else is having this problem which might indicate a more widespread problem. Thanx
  • atn0623atn0623 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, I am new to the group. I was wondering if others on this group can help. I have a 2001 CRV, with about 95K miles on it, almost all highway driving. I do regular servicing on it with oil changes 3 to 4K. My engine light came on and the dealer mechanic said I need a new cylinder head replaced. My oil color looks good, no leak, temp is fine and the car sounds like the same. I ask several people including another Honda dealer mechanic who said it seems way too early to replace the cylinder head, especially with regular maintenance. The mechanic who requested the replacement said an oil change is not worth it if I am not replacing it and that seemed odd to a few people.

I was wondering if others have encountered a similar problem or have any suggestions? Would appreciate any ideas.

T.N.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Just what did they do to determine the cylinder head was bad? Did they run compression checks? Warped head, blown gasket....sounds a little strange if there is no other evidence since you say the engine sounds fine.
    Hmmmm - I think I would get another opinion.
  • patiopatio Member Posts: 1
    I've got 91,000 miles on my '99 CRV and was curious how many miles I might go before changing the timing belt.
  • atn0623atn0623 Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar problem now too on the same model and year. I have regular servicing and has had no problems until now with what the dealer said is the cylinder head. However, on asking a few people including other dealers, they were all surprised that I would have a problem with the cylinder head. May I ask if you have had any more problems with the engine light or cylinder head?

Thnx
  • wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    I think the owner manual says 90k miles for timing belt change.
  • mersersmersers Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 CRV EX Automatic
    33,000 miles
    The other day, it started making hte same noise you are describing here, when I make a hard left or right.
    I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning for an oil change, and asked them to take a look at it.
    They called me back, said the power streering fluid was full, and that they would have to take another look at it, becuase I may need to have the rear dofferential fluid changed, and it would cost me $95.00, and its not covered under warranty because it's a mainteanace issue.

I am still waiting to hear from them.... any advice...
    I have never had to do this with any other CRV's I have owned, and to be quite honest I am annoyed that I have to pay almost $100.00 for that, and tha car is so young.
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    If you would read this thread just a few pages back you'll see this issue discussed in detail. It IS the Read diff. fluid. As stated before, the manual suggests change at 60K or even 90K. Apparently, error on Honda's part in attempt to present the CR-V as a low-maintenance vehicle. In reality, RDF should be replaced by 30K, that's what most dealer Svc Depts suggest too. The RDF may even break down as soon as 17K - as was the case with mine. The dealer was well aware of the issue, they had had another CR-V with the same issue with 21K. They replaced it at no charge after a short spin in the parking lot to verify. Try another dealer, or call Honda. I believe they know they goofed on the Manual, so in general they are covering this under "good will warranty".
    I searched a few posts for you - see 4529 and around it, also 4013.
    But best, Varmint, one of our honorable members, has a great thread you should start with:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef229e9/17!make=Honda&model=CR-V&ed_makei- ndex=.ef229e9
  • mersersmersers Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice...
    I called the dealrer I originally bought the car from, and they told me it was covered as warranty work, becasue honda doesn't tell you to change your fluids untill you get to 40K miles.
    I called back the dealer close to my office, where I dropped off the car this morning, told them what the other dealer said, and he changed his tory.
    He said he talked to the technician and his technician said they would take care of it under warranty.
    Saved me $100.00 .... Woo hoo....

I am thinking twice now about giving this dealer any more of my business. It's conveniant because it's right around the corner from my office, but that's really just it.

What have we learned today - Always question authority

Incredable that a simple phone call saved me $100.00
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    but sky23213 and the "power of the edmunds community" made the call for the $100 possible. ;)
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Nope, it's 105K miles.
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Oh, thanks, but mainly the community. I estimate my savings in the thousands. :D
  • mandiemaemandiemae Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 1998 Honda CRV with 61,000 miles on it and the engine light just came on today. It still starts and runs, butI'm kind of freaking out...I'm a college student and I really don't have the money to pay for a bunch of super expensive tests to figure out what's wrong. Does anyone have any advice on what do to? I just bought the car like 2 months ago and it has no manual.
    Thanks,
    Mandie :sick:
  • mandi827mandi827 Member Posts: 2
    My honda did same thing and I got the run around from 6 shops saying different things...cv joints...alignment....etc..after a alignment...new tires...the transmission shop that put in a new tranny (at 30k miles....thats a different story) said I needed a new drive line after they took it all apart...then he called me to say he found a recall notice from honda that said it was the rear differential fluid.....so he changed that first $100....no more turning problems....he was amazed and said he never thought that was what was wrong..... I have a 97 crv and finally just paid it off.....why so long.....because I have paid almost $6,000 fixing it and it still runs like crap....I bought it as a repo with 3k miles and no warrenty....HUGE MISTAKE......good luck (now I need to post my newest problem)