Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• boqibamaboqibama Member Posts: 25
    I also experience the same problem. I don't know if TSB for the 2005 model will help or not. Any suggestions?
  • carlessonecarlessone Member Posts: 9
    I replaced the diff fluid on my 05 CRV last week at 24,000 miles. It eliminated the shudder from the rear end. Owners manual says something like 90k miles or whatever. Boy is that thing ever WRONG!!!. Bot Honda fluid at the dealer and had Tires Plus do the change. About half the price of what the dealership wanted.

Next I'm thinking the tranny fluid needs to be changed.
    seatcovers.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "seatcovers."

PUL-EESE. Seat covers on a leather seat? :confuse:
    "seatcovers" was a joke. You won't get the stain out of leather. Live with it and chill out before you have a heart attack.
    I assume you have had the tires checked for problems such as a belt that is separating under the tread, etc.? You wouldn't be able to see a defective belt so you would have to keep changing each tire till you found the culprit. It has happened to me on a brand new honda before.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "seatcovers" was a joke. "

You might try putting a ;) or :) in the post for jokes...
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    I realize that this may or may not sound far fetched: what about checking with a detail shop to see what they use or maybe a shoe repair place? Both should be knowledgeable in how to care for leather. There may be a way to re-dye the leather to match the original again. Best of luck with it. ;)
  • plim77plim77 Member Posts: 46
    I'm starting to experience a rough idle or vibration in my CR-V. It has 23k miles on it and have been faithful in changing the oil every 5k. The vibration can be felt in the steering wheel, but is intermittant and sometimes stronger, sometimes not. I suspect it is stronger when the A/C is on. Could this be an engine mount problem?

I am taking it to the dealer on Saturday to deal with the rear differential problem. But I don't have complete confidence in the service guys to address this and am looking for the right 'words to say.'

Help! Leave the sarcastic comments on your own computer, please.
  • jmlljmll Member Posts: 3
    My wife's '03 CRV has just under 60K and we've had to replace the diff. fluid twice already. According to service technician this is not uncommon w/ CRVs w/ AWD. I don't like it. Another "hidden" maintenance cost. Have already had to replace fuel mixture sensor at a cost of around $300. Additionally, motor mount had to be replaced under warranty. And, the a/c compressor is starting to make an odd bird like 'whooping' noise when it cycles on and off. There's a whole thread on this issue alone. Granted we're in the mtns and she drives it like Mario Andretti in a golf cart, but the maintenance problems and costs on this vehicle have greatly exceeded that of my previous 4 vehicles ( Hyundai, Isuzu, Mazda, Ford) at this stage in their respective car life. In my opinion, Honda's reputation for reliability is not warranted for their current vehicles.
    There have been several posts where folks have had that rear differential problem. Some people say that it was covered by the warranty, others have had to pay for it even though it had to be done before 90,000 miles. So, when I get this problem fixed on Saturday, will it be covered under warranty?
  • jck2jck2 Member Posts: 2
    Hello picklepops. Just saw your message. Please see my initial message, #4765. Sounds like we may have the same problem. Took my car back to the dealer today with 95 miles on the odometer. Dealer had the car all day. He rotated front tires and did an alignment check. Car is a little better than before but definitely not right. I'm not sure what to do next. I'm thinking of phoning the service manager and talking to him directly, but I don't feel especially well armed with information yet. Would appreciate hearing from you if you learn anything about the problem. A few quick thoughts:
    -why rotate new tires? and if this works, might I re-experience the problem upon next rotation? and doesn't switching front tires, like they did on my car, not follow service direction for tire rotation pattern?
    -please read FAQ #17 for background on PTTR (pulls to the right). I mentioned in my message, #4765, that I didn't really understand the distinction between "pulling" and "drifting" and had never heard of this distinction before. Distinction still seems to me to be a matter of degree. Interestingly, the first thing dealer asked me was whether the car pulled or drifted. He wrote up service request as "pulls". Obviously, this didn't really help me.
    -TSB's listed in FAQ #17 appear to be for earlier model year CR-V's. I would really like to have info specific to 2006 model when I try to convince service mgr to help
    -In hindsight, it looks like my first trip to dealer was a "hail Mary". These visits are extremely inconvenient for me and I want to plan out my next one carefully, so I'm trying to research the problem. So far, I don't know much and don't have a gameplan. Any thoughts?
    -Agree with your observation that hitting a bump (or really any change in pavement) can cause the car to PTTR. I also seem to sense force needed to make left turns is a little more than force needed to make right turns. In general, car may go straight for a short bit but the slightest pavement irregularity will make it PTTR. It is definitely not right.
    -Please advise me of anything you may learn. Good luck!
  • jmlljmll Member Posts: 3
    Ours wasn't covered by warranty, either time. Apparently they do not warrant that fluids will not break down, even when they fail way before scheduled maintenance would indicate :sick: .
  • jklivejklive Member Posts: 2
    Neither was mine--dealer said it was a maintenance item. I countered with "but the maintenance interval is not up yet", but they didn't budge.
    Hi, jac2, I also experience the same problem, if you learn anything about this problem, could you please pass the information to me. Appreciate!
    I just measure the distance between tire front edge and front bumper back edge for both sides. for passenger side, it's 6.3CM, for driver side , it's 6 CM. It's ridiculous! I am thinking this is the problem why my new 06 CRV EX intends to PTTR. I really appreciate for any help.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    Ill be honest if someone sat me infront of the monitor to read these posts and i couldnt see the title/subject of the posts i would swear these were about kia's or something. I had the highest level of respect for honda, but after reading all these posts and seeing how alot of you are not alone. i will NOT be buying a CRV thats for sure! I mean WOW!! are these CRV's really made by honda or what?

chris
  • ndhlpndhlp Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2002 CR-V EX last November. I now have 66K miles on it. It was Honda certified but the bumper to bumper warranty has run out but the powertrain warranty has not. Our A/C and Transmission recently went out and both were replaced by the dealer under either the warranty or a good will warranty. However since we have had it back, we have noticed a bad vibration in the wheel and floorboards when the vehicle is in drive and sitting at idle. The vibration worsens when the A/C is turned on. I took it back to the dealer twice and they loosened and retightened the engine and transmission mounts and performed the idle relearn sequence. However the problem remains. I noticed that there was a recall for Valve Timming Control Solenoid which causes rough idle. If this was the problem would my engine light be on? Has anyone else had this problem and how was it fixed? The dealer said they can't figure it out and I don't want to keep the vehicle if I have to just "live with it".
    Just got back from the dealer. They changed my rear differential fluid for free. When I asked why it was covered under the warranty, the guy said that since it was under the recommended 30k interval (I have 23k on my CR-v) it was covered under the warranty. Definately a nice surprise.

I also asked about buying the Honda dual pump fluid & having another mechanic change it for the next time. He didn't have any problems with it.

I sure hope the new 2007 CR-Vs list the correct rear differential fluid change interval.
  • dragonfly47dragonfly47 Member Posts: 26
    Keep in mind, Honda sells around 140,000 CR-V's a year in the States and the name of this thread is Honda CR-V Owners: Problems & Solutions. Thinking the posts here are typical of all CR-V owners would be like swearing off iced tea after reading a thread named "iced tea caused my kidney stones".
  • erinburwellerinburwell Member Posts: 1
    Have a '00 CR-V with 124K miles. Over last 6 mos., has developed stalling/stuttering illnes for first few minutes after morning startup or just about any cold startup. Starts fine; but put it in gear, it dies. Have to pump accelerator to keep it running, and/or keep one foot on brake and one foot on accel at traffic lights and stop signs. Idles horribly. Five minutes later, is OK. Problem less severe when gas tank is full. Any ideas?
  • mpzichmpzich Member Posts: 4
    I am having the same problem with the throttle position sensor. Could you please tell me the location of the Honda dealer that replaced the throttle body for you. Thanks.

Mark
  • joekinsojoekinso Member Posts: 14
    I have an 02 CRV that the "DRL" indicator comes on after startup. A buzzing can be heard under dash to the left of the steering column. The right headlamp is not lit. The lights (high and low) work fine when turned on by the switch. The "DRL" light extinguishes when the lights are turned on. Pulling the connector off the right headlamp bulb also extinguishes the "DRL" indicator. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? is there a relay under the dash for d.r. lights? Is the buzzing a relay or a buzzer assoc. with "DRL" indicator?
    Each time when I drive my V a few seconds, a "ka" sound is transmited from back. It sounds like something hook-up. can anyone help me to figure this out? Thanks
    I need to correct. The sound comes from chassis. It only happens once each time I start engine and accelerate for a few seconds.what is that? appreciate.
    That "ka" sound is your anti-lock brakes setting. It is normal and will happen everytime you start your car and drive forward. It is mentioned in the car manuel. (If you don't hear it, then your anti-lock brake light will come on.)
  • carcrzy1carcrzy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have all the power door locks not work sometimes. A few seconds later, they work fine.
    May work for a week, or for an hour, then stop again.
    My vehicle is a '97, with 150k miles, and has an aftermarket lock/starter system.
    Details are: when they don't work, the key fob and the driver door switch both don't work... when they work, they both work.
    I believe that something is preventing them from working in error. A sensor might be bad. The door key mechanism seems to have a switch; the rear passenger door will not turn on the dome light anymore; the hatch light sometimes doesn't work.
    I have checked the aftermarket lock, and it is always providing a momentary ground on the LOCK and ONLOCK lines going into the driver door. It seems that the B+ is not going to the actuators sometimes. Any help with getting the door panel off? Common failures of switches?
    Very frustrating!!!
    Thank you.
  • bubba9999bubba9999 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone else having Steering wheel vibration at 70 mph+ ??
    I used to. I went back to the tire shop where I purchased the tires and had them re-balance and rotate. Many tire places cover the service for the life of the tire under a maintenance warranty. If the car has less than 12K miles, the dealer should cover under the initial defect part of the warranty since not a wear related item yet.
  • bubba9999bubba9999 Member Posts: 2
    The dealer tried new wheels with different tires, has been rebalanced multi times, still have problem. Has been a problem since day one.
  • gaurangpatel77gaurangpatel77 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Recently I have been on hunt for 2004 CRV..
    I saw a two cars with a dealer here. '04-LX CRV with 22000 milage has same kind of vibration issue.. I asked to check other vehicle and the other one (04-LX CRV) also had same kind of vibration. I just came home and searching for this issue online.. I am still thinking again wheather to buy it or not.
  • debary06debary06 Member Posts: 2
    I have problems with the a 2006 EX CRV. The steering wheel vibrates progressively as it approaches 65-70 MPH and the air conditioner blows hot air onto my feet. The vibrations increase from about 45 50 MPH to a point that you really feel it in your arms at 65-70MPH. The air conditioner, unless is is set up at full blast cold, it blows very warm air on your feet, while your face and arms get a blast of very cold air. I bought this CRV new, three weeks ago, and it has been in the dealer for over a week, altogeher. Most recently, they have had it since last Saturday, and now they say that there is nothing they can do, that this is the way it was designed to work. And even American Honda, according to the dealer, has said that there is not much they can do, so I am stuck with looks like a brand new headache (lemon). I wonder if there are other cases like mine out there. Please let me know. Thank you!
    Wow - that's different. I had a 95 Dodge Neon with a similar issue. I went to a dealer who primarily sells the OEM brand tires and they determined that the tires were slightly out of round. They replaced the entire set under the manufacturers warranty. Usually a vibration is caused by a balancing issue or the like. Sounds like the dealer ruled that out. Maybe have them check for a drivetrain issue? :confuse:
    I think that there is some sort of a mode control which blends the hot air with the cold, or routs it to the various vents. Sounds as if it is misadjusted. The control is usually located in the heater box. In the bi-level mode it will blow slightly warmer air to the feet but shouldn't be as warm as you are experiencing.
    I have a 2002 CR-V and found that after re-setting the computer, the fuel gauge reads nearly empty when there are still 5 gallons of gas in the tank. It used to read 1/8 of a tank. Is there a learning mode for the fuel gauge or is it just a characteristic of the sending unit?
  • addingtonaddington Member Posts: 1
    Have you ever (or do you think the previous owner might have) driven with the parking brake on? I'm not sure of the set-up on the CR-V but it may end up being the issue.
  • keithf2keithf2 Member Posts: 1
    I have 1999 CRV and have a randomly clicking sound from under dash when cruise control is on, more so going down hill, almost quite when going up hill. please HELP
  • debary06debary06 Member Posts: 2
    The dealer tried all kinds of ways to adjust it and could not. American Honda engineers have no solution to the issue and it looks like it is particular to the 2006 CRV. I tested two other 2006 CRVs, at the dealer, and they all blow very warm air onto your feet, unless you set the system to maximum cold. It is a very real (and annoying) problem, as you cannot regulate a reasonable level of comfort. On top of it, running the air conditioner at max cold has a serious impact on the fuel economy of the vehicle. I am now dealing with the dealer (not easy!) to see how they can help me as I have no interest in keeping a car that they accept has a defect and which they are unable to fix. More on this effort later this week.
    Sorry to hear that Honda is giving you a bunch of "hot air." Only other thing that I can think of is the adjustment of the temperature control cable. It appears to connect to a valve to the heater core, next to the firewall in the engine compartment, which restricts the flow of coolant through when it is on the colder settings. I know how frustrating a climate control system can be when it doesn't give the temperature you are asking it to. I used to have a car before A/C was standard equipment and the vents always blew warm. How does your syetem cool when only the vent mode is selected? :confuse:
  • jpcanaverajpcanavera Member Posts: 33
    You know one of the things you can do is go to a dealer and test drive another '06 EX and see if it displays the same characteristics. If it doesn't, you've got them dead to rights and they will have to fix it. Hurry though because I'm sure there aren't many left.

Jack
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The air conditioner, unless is is set up at full blast cold, it blows very warm air on your feet, while your face and arms get a blast of very cold air. I bought this CRV new, three weeks ago, and it has been in the dealer for over a week, altogeher. Most recently, they have had it since last Saturday, and now they say that there is nothing they can do, that this is the way it was designed to work. And even American Honda, according to the dealer, has said that there is not much they can do, so I am stuck with looks like a brand new headache (lemon). I wonder if there are other cases like mine out there. Please let me know. Thank you!

Ok, let's clarify a few things.

1. Did you read the OWNER's MANUAL?

2. Did you read it more than twice?

3. When you get a blast of hot air at your feet, what position is the air flow selector at?

4. What position is the temperature selector at?

The air flow in the "Face/Feet" is designed to send hotter air to the feet and colder air at the Face, as per OWNER's MANUAL, unless the temp selector is the lowest temperature setting.

You should not be getting any air flow out of the heat registers if the flow selector is set to "Face."

"Max Cold" nothing else but a combination of "Recirculation", "A/C", and "Face" locked together.
  • sbnsbn Member Posts: 9
    Several other messages seem to suggest that it should be easy to replace the glass of a CR-V's side mirror myself - would this hold true for a 2005? And is there anything I need to watch out for in the process?

Thanks,
    sbn
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Not sure about the 05 model, but for my 99 CRV, I had to simply pull upwards on the bottom of the mirror to get it out.
    I've done it on my 05 CR-V. It's easy. Literally pull it off from the bottom. Take the new one and you'll see where it snaps on by small clamps.
  • sbnsbn Member Posts: 9
    Thanks to both you & mikefm58 for the tips. The replacement mirror came in today, & I'm going to go get it this afternoon, so the info was well-timed. I'm glad it'll be easy to install myself.

sbn
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Several other messages seem to suggest that it should be easy to replace the glass of a CR-V's side mirror myself - would this hold true for a 2005? And is there anything I need to watch out for in the process?

Thanks,
    sbn

I just replaced my mirrors with heated ones from SE.

Tilt the mirror up, stick a flat tipped screwdriver from the bottom between the mirror and the housing. You should see the black mirror backing and the white mirror adjstment plate. Release the two hook. Start pulling gently, there is some goo on the back. Pull until you reach a 45 degree angle, then slide the mirror down.

Make sure the replacements are for the correct country of manufacture. There seem to be some minor differences between the UK and Japan made CR-V's.
  • supetroopsupetroop Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 CRV started showing the "check engine light" about 2 weeks ago. It has 65,000 miles on it and runs like new. I took it to the local Honda dealer who after charging $55.00 told me that it needs a "air/fuel ratio sensor" at a cost of $400.00. My receipt for the check up shows code "P1167". When I research the error code, that tells me heater related. Did they mean the O2 sensor(s). Anyone else have a similiar problem or info. If I can fix this myself, I'm sure I would save alot, thanks in advance.:
    I replaced one myself about 3 weeks ago. The code for P1167 means that the primary sensor heater has failed. The sensor is the front one on the side of the catalytic converter, or the one closest to the engine. The part by itself will cost around $250. Not too bad to get to - all that's really needed is a special oxygen sensor socket which runs around $10 - $15 at an auto store. A regular socket will not clear the wire and the correct one will fit without having to take the lower heat shield off. Best to take the new sensor with you to get the size right. It is really a matter of unscrewing the old one, sort of like a spark plug with a wire attached, and screwing the new one in. There is a wire running to a connector which can be a little tricky to unplug. I removed the mounting bracket but ended up breaking off the screw which holds it to the underbody. Had to drill it out and replace it. With the right tools, it should only take about 1/2 hour or so.
  • sgsjcpsgsjcp Member Posts: 1
    Hello! I have a 2004 CR-V that we put a Nose Mask on for a long road trip. It has left a strip along the top of our hood where it flapped continuously and left grooves in the paint. We had an Acura for many, many years and always used a mask with it and never had any issues at all. This mask had no straps to hold down the top and so it flapped, flapped, flapped...

I am just wondering if anyone else had any of the same issues and what you did about it? We bought the more expensive Honda brand mask so that we wouldn't have any issues!

Thanks for any help or experience you have!