Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ibuenoibueno Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 CRV with 23K miles on it. I bought it new in January 2005. A few months ago, we began noticing an intermitent smell when running the A/C.:

.Settings did not see to matter that much.
    . It does not do it in the mornings.
    . It does it after running the car for a while and then making a stop for about 20 minutes or so, as of when going shopping, to a restaurant, etc.
    . When you start the AC again, it may be a couple of minutes and the smell starts, and stays there for not long, it eventually clears ( time varies, but usually a minute or two).
    . When this fist began, the smell was not too strong, but lately it is so strong, that it actually makes you turn it off, and it is kind of nauseating, like a very sweet/chemical type of smell.

I've had it to the dealer about 4 times for the same problem. They have not been able to reproduce it, as all they do is let the car run with the A/C on.
    First I was told to replace the A/C filter. I did it myself (and saved a bundle) and of course did not help the problem.
    Then I was told the Engine needed cleaning as they saw/smelled some rat/squirrell dropings. Well, my CRV is garaged at home and at work and my house is about 5 years old and free of mice and that did not make sense, but I wanted the engine clean anyway.
    That did not do it, I took it in again.
    Now they tell me that unless they can reproduce it, they can not fix it. They tell me to bring it in when it is doing it, which is impossible since It goes away after a minute or two. They had the mechanic take it home, but I doubt he drove it the way we normally do (with the few stops to go in and out of places).

So now the car has gone out of warranty as of a few days ago. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!! :confuse:
  • joekinsojoekinso Member Posts: 14
    Our 02 CR-V has smelled like burning rubber since new. Apparently the "lean burn system" causes the exhaust system to burn extremely hot. There are reports of Honda exhaust pipes glowing red at night on freeways. We have over 140K Km. on ours and other than an annoying smell on arrival at our destination, no burning or exhaust system problems. We have to have our exhaust emissions tested every two years in Ontario Canada and has surpassed all requirements. You might want to have yours tested to ensure there isn't something causing an overheated catalytic converter.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    are there four identical tires on the vehicle?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    My 06 CRV has been having one problem and I'm not sure what's wrong. When I have been driving my daughter to day-care each day (about 10 miles) when I get her out of the rear passenger side I notice a smell of burning rubber. This has been the only time I notice the smell. It is only on that side not on the drivers side. It seems to be coming from the rear wheel area. Just guessing but maybe a siezed rear brake? I do live in Minnesota so salt is definitely an issue and I do have 26,000 miles on the car. Any ideas?

I get that smell too. Originally I thought it was from the exhaust, as the Civic Si used to smell this way too, and it does not have AWD. But, now, I am not 100% sure.

The smells seems to go away if I rotate tires more often. The 2/32 difference in thread depth activated AWD unit on the 2005 CR-V. I plan on rotating tires twice as ofen now, at 5,000 miles, and see if the smell comes back.
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    Thanks for the follow-up. Always appreciate your expert opinion I'm planning on getting new tires in the next week so I will let you know if that takes care of the smell. :)
  • corvo3corvo3 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks - the anti-lock braking system was the first thing the manager of the dealership mentioned but they ruled it out. This noise is from the front of the vehicle.

Our rear differential needed new fluid after about 17K miles, making these gear tooth noises on sharp turns. Did you experience this as well?

Ken
  • krista1krista1 Member Posts: 4
    Yes they are, i am also experiencing the rubbing sound that others are experiencing with the rear differential problems. Maybe they are connected?
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    The AWD engaged thus the smell makes most sense to me. But I rotate the tires every 6k - 7K (Discount Tire freebie), so I haven't noticed.
    What tires are you getting?
    i believe the new recommended interval for servicing the rear differential fluid is on the order of 15K miles.
  • chufnchufn Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2000 Honda CRV. There was something spilled on the back seats.I have tried cleaning them but it keeps seeping back up through the fabric.And it has a bad smell.Well,I thought if I could take out the seat bottom I could maybe clean it better.I am sure it can`t get eny worse.I am not sure how to get the seat out.I pulled of a velcro panel on the bottom of the seat and there are 2 large bolts .If I take out these bolts will I be able to get them back on? Or any other ideas????
    Cindy H.
  • jpurdyjpurdy Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 04 cr-v in at the dealership 2 times this week for the exact same thing (because they didn't find the problem the first time).

I talked to the service manager (who drives one as well) and he advised me that there is a vent at the rear right of the vehicle. It is for the differential and the drive train. Aparently when it gets cold/damp or very warm, pressure builds up in those areas and this is where the gasses are vented. It smells just like burning rubber. He said every CR-v will do it as well as many other Honda models. It is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

I just hope he is right.
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    I'm now leaning towards the michelin just because of the $60 rebate. I'll probably go with the hydroedge like you or the MX4 but will double check tirerack.com for the reviews. Anything is better than the Dullers that came on it.
  • gmoney2gmoney2 Member Posts: 31
    Our rear differential needed new fluid after about 17K miles, making these gear tooth noises on sharp turns. Did you experience this as well?

My CRV has about 18k miles on it, and I haven't experienced the problem with the rear diff yet (and hopefully won't)...although, I know a lot of people in this forum have.
  • lambypielambypie Member Posts: 1
    hello can u help me i have a 53reg crv and its just started making a wirring nosie on tick over and when driving the noise increases with more revs
    hello can u help me i have a 53reg crv and its just started making a wirring nosie on tick over and when driving the noise increases with more revs

53reg???
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Something about a new registration scheme that was introduced in 2003 in England. I forget if it made it easier to import cars or reduced prices across the board or what. So I'm guessing that Lambypie's CR-V is 5 years old or newer.
    Thank you for the explanation.
  • surfactant2surfactant2 Member Posts: 2
    Does the 2002 crv have a timing belt or chain? dealer said i should change it at 90,000 miles i thought it was a chain. Does anyone know the recomended change of belt or chain thanks Mark
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    Chain..

2001 and older have belts..

You usually change the chain when it breaks.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    you mean, you usually change the car when it breaks. :blush:
  • fleetfleet Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know how Honda calculates the maintenance for the 2008 CR-V? I'm pretty sure that it's based on fuel consumption but it would be nice to know the figures.
  • guidedbyvoicesguidedbyvoices Member Posts: 17
    We have a 2002 CRV, but bought it used so we don't have the manual. Some of the interior lights stopped working, like at night, the AC controls don't light up. In addition, one of the taillights stopped working. Could this be a fuse issue? Just trying to get an idea of what it could be before taking it to the mechanic.
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    Does anyone here have any experience going through an automated carwash with an '07's nifty little licorice stick of an antenna in the center of the rear portion of the roof? I'd hate to have it snapped off.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    I believe that oil change recommendations are based on (mostly) engine rpm. My first change came after a full year year of freeway driving. 12,000 miles and the oil life indicator still showing 40%.
    The manual recommends you unscrew the antenna before going through a car wash. The car is shipped with a snap-on cover protecting the mounting. I guess the prep guys at most dealers just toss them, although someone said theirs was left in the glove box. I requested one from a parts clerk and now snap it on for extra protection.
  • richk6richk6 Member Posts: 87
    My 07 CRV manual says to change the oil after one year regardless of the oil life indicator reading or mileage.
    That's why I had the oil changed at one year even though the maintenance minder indicated oil life remaining at 40%.
    That is a lot of miles. I'd make sure I was checking the level every x stops to the Gas Station. I very much doubt the maintenance system monitors the oil level, and so, an issue that goes un-knoticed could result in you running the engine low of oil. Not good.
  • eagle666eagle666 Member Posts: 3
    Got a 1997 CR-V used. auto transmission. 75,000miles. no manual. and don't know how old the timing belt is. Anybody can tell me what's the schedule for changing timing belt? If I take it to a technician, is there a way to find out the age of the timing belt without a huge labour involved? Thanks a lot. :shades:
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Here is a link to the web-based version of the 1997 CR-V owner's manual on Honda's website. They call for timing belt replacement every 60k miles/100k kilometers.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I've got a 99 CRV and my owner's manual says 105K miles or 7 years, so sounds like yours is due, due to the fact of it's age. Don't forget to also have them do the water pump and all accessory belts. They have to take them off anyway so there's no additional labor for those.

Also, no idea how to tell if it's already been changed.
  • zswxzswx Member Posts: 55
    I accidentally washed it in the washer for 40 minutes and now is trying to dry it with a blow dryer.

My questions are:

- If the key still works after dry, can I assume it is as reliable as before? What should I do to prevent bad things from happening in the future?

- If the key doesn't work any more, where can I get a replacement and how much will it normally cost?

Thanks a lot!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you rinsed off any soap and gently dried the dismantled unit then you have a good chance that it will function normally.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thanks to dewaltdakota and mikefm58. $828 is gone today! I took my CRV to a Honda Dealership. Replacing timing belts cost me $513.21 [$445.50(labor) + $67.71(part)] and replacing water pump cost me $176.08 [$53(labor)+$123.08(part)]. Then plus TAX. I was told one of the front spring is broken, so to order that part, another $135! Ouch!!! Am I ripped off?
  • zswxzswx Member Posts: 55
    Thanks! It works now.
    1>If I lock my car with remote, then I unlock it with key, the alarm goes on, is that normal? What If my remote battery running out? How to prevent it happening?
    2>Acceleration, big delay when going uphill! I was told it is a flaw by design. Is that right?
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    That seems a bit high, mine was $650 and included the timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, and they gave me a rental car for the day. If I were you, I would demand the $53 labor for the water pump back. They have to take the old one off anyway, so there should be no additional labor for that. What they did is charged you book rate for a water pump replacement which is probably about 1/2 an hour labor.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    1) Correct... if you lock with remote, unlock with remote.. If your remote is going bad, then don't use it... .stick with the key.

2) '97 with an automatic?... They are pretty slow.. but, if uphill acceleration seems abnormal, then the transmission is the first thing I would check (not downshifting?).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• leigh6leigh6 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same back brake light issue with my 2002 CRV. The center light comes on as well as everything except the two side lights. I do not see a fuse labeled brake lights and have already changed the bulbs. Does anyone have an answer for this? It would be very helpful!
    I am having the same back brake light issue with my 2002 CRV. The center light comes on as well as everything except the two side lights. I do not see a fuse labeled brake lights and have already changed the bulbs. Does anyone have an answer for this? It would be very helpful!

Did you check both fuse boxes?
  • flo5flo5 Member Posts: 1
    Has any one got tips or ideas on how to replace a damaged aerial to 98 CRV positioned over driver side.
  • therivertheriver Member Posts: 70
    I have an 04 with about 65 K. If I am driving and I let up on the accelerator I get a "whirring" sound or whirring moan coming from under the chassis. Almost like something is slowing down. No performance issues - everything seems to be working fine but the sound is definitely noticeable

I did have rear differential fluid changed at about 16K (like everyone else) but it seems like that was a groan and was obvious
  • bhitchcockbhitchcock Member Posts: 16
    Did you ever find the real solution to the loose hood even though it is locked? My hood has that same 3/8" of up/down travel and I can see it vibrating at high speeds on the freeway. I also do not think you can simply unscrew the rubber bumpers and the latch does no appear adjustable.
    Thanks,
  • clivelopez1clivelopez1 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, you can fix this problem as I read earlier that those rubber tips you are refering to are adjustable by a simple mechanism to tighten the gap you have. Your service adviser can easily do that perhaps no charge! EasyRider CL
  • danb1danb1 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Costco sez they will not mount one tire on 4- or all-wheel drive vehicles. My daughter's '98 CRV only needs one tire. Is it ok to buy and mount one tire? We already did after wreck and had one tire replaced by body shop. $9k in repair work later and one tire replaced. Now, other front needs replacement. Is it ok to replace only one tire?
    In AWD vehicles especially, a small difference in the outside diameter between tires has the potential to cause mechanical problems or drive train damage.

The problem is the tread difference between the two. I'm assuming the used tire has significant miles on it. You could have the new tire shaved to match the used tire, I guess.

Costco is simply following most industry guidelines. A gas station would probably sell you 1 tire, but beware of the risk you're running.
  • yankeefan2yankeefan2 Member Posts: 53
    This is from the 2007 CR-V Owners Manual, It still would apply to your AWD. It is also in my 2000 Awd Volvo XC. That is one of the hidden "problems" dealers don't talk about when you buy an AWD vehicle.

Tires of
    the same size, load range, speed
    rating, and maximum cold tire
    pressure rating (as shown on the
    tire’s sidewall).
    Mixing radial and bias-ply tires on
    your vehicle can reduce braking
    ability, traction, and steering
    accuracy. Using tires of a different
    size or construction can cause the
    ABS and vehicle stability assist
    system (VSA) to work inconsistently.
    The ABSworks by comparing the
    speed of the wheels. When replacing
    tires, use the same size originally
    supplied with the vehicle. Tire size
    and construction can affect wheel
    speed and may cause the system to
    activate.
    It is best to replace all four tires at
    the same time. If that is not possible
    or necessary, replace the two front
    tires or two rear tires as a pair.
    Replacing just one tire can seriously
    affect your vehicle’s handling.
    If you ever replace a wheel, make
    sure that the wheel’s specifications
    match those of the original wheels.
    Also be sure you use only TPMS
    specific wheels. If you do not, the
    tire pressure monitoring system will
    not work on that tire.
    Replacement wheels are available at
    your dealer
  • mcdermottmcdermott Member Posts: 29
    To me it seems unfair to describe this as a hidden PROBLEM. This same informative text appears in my 2005 CR-V owners manual regarding tire sizing. I don't see how you would think it a PROBLEM; I see it as good maintenance information. Also, it is only hidden to folks who do not read the owners manual.
    As your quote above says, this issue applies to cars with ABS and VSA systems, that is, virtually all modern cars.. Most tire dealers strongly advise replacing tires (at minimum) in pairs on all cars, not just those with AWD.