Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    So you read the owner's manual before you buy a car? Yankeefan was talking about it being a "hidden" problem the dealer's don't talk about when "buying" the vehicle, not when having the vehicle serviced.
  • gauriingauriin Member Posts: 6
    Hi guys
    I just purchased 08 CRV EX two weeks ago...
    Unfortunately, I got some huge scratches on the rear plastic bumper.
    Do you know how much do I have to pay to replace it in Honda or other??
  • mcdermottmcdermott Member Posts: 29
    This may well be the result of Dual Pump Fluid in the rear differential breaking down. This is a well-known and well-documented maintenance problem with Hondas. As early as TSB 00-901 (November 2000) and lately as TSB 07-024 (October 2007) this problem is described. You MUST replace the fluid using ONLY Honda Dual Pump fluid. I'm confident your local dealer/stealer will be knowledgeable of this and can repair your vehicle per TSB instructions. I hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Jack
  • benko5217benko5217 Member Posts: 1
    my honda crv 2001 makes a squealing noise when i turn with hard lock. it sounds as if its coming from the rear diff. can you tell me what this is adn what i can do about it?
  • pt95148pt95148 Member Posts: 17
    Is there a good website to buy this? Can anyone recommend one site over many that can be found on google.
    TIA
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Don't need google. Just scroll up, click on the banner - HandA Accessories, and you're there. Genuine parts, cheap, arrive within a week. I've been getting mine from them for the last three years.
    Of course, if you really, REALLY have time on your hands you'll probably, maybe, find something somewhere for a buck less. But again, these guys are known to have the right stuff cheap. Many accessories too. And pdf instructions, which I really like, because I can decide if I can do it myself.
    Good luck.
  • jmyanajmyana Member Posts: 3
    I took my 2007 Honda CR-V for 10,000 mile service a week ago in Detroit, MI. They changed the oil, filter, rotated the tires and charged me $127.00

Is this charge reasonable?
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    No. My 10K dealer service in Santa Rosa, Calif was $55. They did the two things called for in the manual--oil change & tire rotation. But I checked the cabin filter and it also needed changing. I paid $30 for the part and changed it myself. It's very simple.

I'd bet that your dealer did a few other things. Some may have been needed, some not.

The best defense against this is to read the maintenance section of your owner's manual, know what needs doing, and have nothing more than that done. CR-Vs need little routine maintenance until high mileage is reached.
  • zipalotzipalot Member Posts: 3
    My service charge for the exact same thing here in Greenville Nc. was $90.16 but that included adjusting the parking brake. Personally I think they were both high and plan to get the work done elsewhere. If Bob Barbour Honda can't be competitive with Jiffy lube(a very high priced service provider) then I will no longer go to Bob Barbour
  • adventuregyrladventuregyrl Member Posts: 5
    My vehicle is a 2007 Honda CRV EX-L w/navigation. 8900 miles.
    Yesterday on the way home from work, my check engine light came on and the D (for Drive) starting flashing. I didn't notice any major engine changes although it did seem a bit like the transmission was straining. I left my car with the Honda dealership. This evening I found out that there were bones and grease on my engine block. The mechanic said he had seen this before so he knew what to look for. My wire harness had been chewed through by some animal. I am not sure whether the bones were an animal that died there (doubtful since there was no smell) or whether the animal pulled some chicken bones from the trash and dined in my car. It's almost too unbelievable and I'm not sure whether this would have happened in front of my house or in my work parking garage. The new harness is being ordered and I will have to pay about $1000 for parts and labor. Does this amount seem right? Is there anyway to salvage the parts without replacing new. I realize it would be hard to tell without seeing it, but it seems like a lot of money for a wire. And of course this isn't under warranty. This is very upsetting since there is no way to really avoid this happening again. As far as I know I haven't heard the neighbors complaining about a similar issue.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I'd go back and read your invoice closely, it must have more items listed, most of which are unnecessary at 10K miles. Oil, filter and rotate tires should be 50-60 bucks. Poster lzc in post 5606 gave good advice.
  • rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    Check with your insurance company and see if that is covered under your comprehensive.
  • tcturnertcturner Member Posts: 7
    Did you get any answers to your question.I just bought an 06 and it being stolen crossed my mind.It is only held on by two zippers.I had a Rav4 and put a lock on it and within a year I had to cut it off because it rusted solid.Maybe if I put a better lock on it wouldn't rust but how do you put a lock on two zippers.
    Jim in TO
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    If Bob Barbour Honda can't be competitive with Jiffy lube (a very high priced service provider) then I will no longer go to Bob Barbour

If Jiffy Lube is a High Priced Service Provider, than Walmart is a High quality store, lol.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's the upsells that get you every time. :D
  • rroadkingrroadking Member Posts: 11
    I too, have an 04 crv with the rubber burning smell since new. My dealership has seen my vehicle way too many times and they have no clue. Could you tell me if you have had any problems or do you think it is "gasses being vented" as stated?

Thanks
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    Sometimes the smell of brake pads after a lot of braking in stop-and-go-traffic can be mistaken for that of burning rubber. See that black smudgy stuff that accumulates regularly on your front wheels and not the back ones (at least not nearly so much because the front brakes do most of the work)......you might be collecting teeny, tiny little particles of that stuff in your nose while they're still hot off the grill.
  • joekinsojoekinso Member Posts: 14
    Our '02' CR-V has smelled this way since new. We do a lot of highway driving and the smell is most evident when parking in the garage. Apparently the "lean-burn" system causes the exhaust system to run red hot and any undercoating within heating distance of the exhaust smells like it's burning. I haven't heard of any catching fire but one was observed on a freeway glowing red at night.
    Our latest problem, door and headlight buzzer have quit and interior lights only work when manually switched on. The doors lock in the garage by themselves? Does anyone have a link to a free wiring diagram for CR-V?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    when you stop, have you determined that your tires are all the same temperature?

i think if tires were not matched or evenly inflated, maybe you might have a different issue.
  • dave_cldave_cl Member Posts: 54
    Re: wiring diagram.
    Have you tried Ebay? Look for a "Factory", "Service", or "Workshop" Manual.
    Not free, but reasonable.
    Email the seller before you bid, and ask if the manual contains a wiring diagram.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=cr-v+manua- - - l&category0=
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sometimes you can find them online for free. Check out the links in the Online Repair Manuals guide.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Depending on how bad they are, they should be repairable by many of the bumper medic outfits and made to look like new for less than $200.
  • cardiffmancardiffman Member Posts: 1
    What should be done on my '02 2WD now that it has about 115k miles? It's had consistent operational maintenance and no major issues since new... and about how much $$ should I expect it all to cost?

Thanks all
    If it had consistent maintenance as per the manual, then you should just go by the manual.

On the other hand, define consistent operational maintenance. Oil changes and tire rotations alone do not constitute maintenance.

I think the spark plugs should have been replaced at 105,000 miles.
    Air filters (3) about every 15,000-30,000 miles depending on conditions.
    ATF should be replaced every 30,000 miles or 60,000 miles depending on driving conditions.
    PSF should be replaced at about the same intervals.
    Brake fluid should be completly replaced and bled every 3 years regardless of mileage.
    Coolant should be replaced every 5 or 10 years depending on what was put in initially at the factory.
    Tires should be rotated every 5,000-10,000 miles.
    Engine oil and filter should be replaced every 5,000-10,000 miles depending on conditions.
    It probably won't hurt to replace the PCV valve if it has not been replaced.
    It probably won't hurt to put her up on an alignment rack.
    Grease up all the grease fittings.
    The Battery is probably on its last leg by now.

So, depending what was done so far will determine what needs to be done now.
  • pprboypprboy Member Posts: 4
    Im having the same problem with my 2007 Accord EX 4cyl.. I think it has the same engine as your CRV. I tried changing to the 2nd set of keys, but the problem has continued. I think it's either the starter or some type of relay. How is your CRV doing now? Im not really bothered by it for now since it has always started on the second turn of the key. It's really strange because the engine won't crank or turnover. Regards.. :sick:
  • therivertheriver Member Posts: 70
    For the last week or so, I have noticed a horn going off about 6 times then stopping in my neighborhood. I shrugged it off to someones car alarm malfunctioning and since it was happening only once in a while -no big deal.

Anyway, I was up early one morning and heard the horn again and was surprised to discover it was MY car (at least that time). I have an 04. Problem is I do not have an alarm. Any idea what may be causing this.

About six months ago I did have a remote starter installed, but the noise is only the last few weeks so it may or may not be that.

Has anyone seen this before. This happens VERY intermittently although the next time I hear it I am going to race outside to see if it is my car.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Oh, I think there's no chance it ISN'T related to your installation of the after-market remote start relay...... No doubt in my mind they messed something up, and even less doubt that you'll never find it or resolve it without disconnecting this remote start function....
  • kbdc8297kbdc8297 Member Posts: 6
    by using a timing light, how does one go about setting the timing. and does advancing it slightly get better gas mileage? i noticed 2 marks on the wheel, a red one and a white one. i think the white one is the correct one. does any vacuum lines need removed and /or plugged? please let me know how to do this right.
  • chaptainchaptain Member Posts: 1
    The aircon on my 2007 Honda CR-V stopped working and the cause is an object hitting the condensor - probably a small stone through the large gaps in the front bumper. Has anybody else encounterd this problem? It seems a major design fault in the Honda with such a sensitive part being so exposed. Any solutions to stop this happening again? Also, did you get any support from Honda?
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I wonder what ever happened to Sabrina and her CRV? Does she still have it? How is it holding up. I wonder if the new CRV's design moved the location of the oil filter etc. Sabrina...are you out there!
    by using a timing light, how does one go about setting the timing. and does advancing it slightly get better gas mileage? i noticed 2 marks on the wheel, a red one and a white one. i think the white one is the correct one. does any vacuum lines need removed and /or plugged? please let me know how to do this right.

There are 3 generations of CR-V, at least 6 different engine designs used through out the world. A little more information will probably help you get someone who knows to respond.

My answer is: If you are going to be working on the vehicle, get the Official Honda Manual from Helm inc. The order form is on the back of the Owner's Manual, or online at http://www.helminc.com

Good luck.
    The aircon on my 2007 Honda CR-V stopped working and the cause is an object hitting the condensor - probably a small stone through the large gaps in the front bumper. Has anybody else encounterd this problem? It seems a major design fault in the Honda with such a sensitive part being so exposed. Any solutions to stop this happening again? Also, did you get any support from Honda?

I had similar happen on the Si, where a road debris was kicked up by the car infront and sent it flying through the radiator. I lost all of the coolant in a matter of minutes. I didn't even think of approaching Honda. It is not their fault. Replaced the rad and went on my way.

I have been contemplating placing honeycomb mesh from Home Depot or Lowes behind the bumper to protect the radiator, but have not gotten to it.

As to design flaw claim, check out other cars on the road, they all have radiator and condenser behind the bumper. You are not alone. It is just the draw of the luck.
  • richk6richk6 Member Posts: 87
    I installed a custom protective screen from Cloud-Rider designs.

http://www.cloudrider.ca/search/vehicle

Some other owners have used gutter guard to effectively protect the opening.
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    Anybody here know yet how many miles the first set of brake pads are going on the '07s?
    Bernardi Honda, e.g. bernardiparts.com is offering a good deal on Honda pads....And other stuff. Just got their email on specials.
    I'll buy the pads if I'm going to be needing them anytime soon.
    Anybody here know yet how many miles the first set of brake pads are going on the '07s?

Don't know specifially about the 07's, but generally 60,000 miles is what people get out of OEM pads. The actual pad life will depend on the type of driving, and the choice of transmissions, as well as traffic conditions, and vehicle load.
  • courtney89courtney89 Member Posts: 12
    thank you so much - my battery had to be changed over the weekend and I bought the card used from a dealer. Had no idea what the code was - nothing in anything I received from the dealer. Dealer said we are supposed to keep these codes on file, but we don't. Anyway I used your instructions, and my radio is back as is my clock. Thank you again. I don't know what I would do without Edmunds' forums! :)
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    You're welcome. Glad to hear an older post helped out. Another great source for info is Alldata. They have service bulletins and repair procedures. Some libraries offer the database or are able to get service manuals. ;)
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    Anyone run across a broken stabilizer link? I am trying to replace one on an '02 CRV and cannot remove the nuts. They are frozen and the bolts turn even when holding them with an allen wrench. I have tried a nut splitter but cannot get into the area to break them. It seems a simple enough job if it comes apart. :confuse:
  • tabcourttabcourt Member Posts: 18
    Can I not just buy an Anco replacement wiper? The arm on the driver's side has some kind of extra piece onit which interferes with the movement of the replacement wiper. ???
    Mark
  • soco4soco4 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2005 CRV LX. I need more legroom, esp. for my right leg. Does anyone know of a way to modify the seat track? Even an additional inch would be welcome.

Re a wheel-swap, what is the offset of the 2008 (17") wheels? I think that the bolt circle (114 mm) is the same as my '05, but the offset may be too different from the 40 mm of my 16" wheels. Re tires, I am leaning toward the Michelin Hydroedge as an upgrade but am concerned about noise levels. What is your experience? Do you have a recommendation for tires for the 2002 and later CRV? Thank you.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Don't know how the mounting bolts are positioned or look, but can you make offset track?
    - buy a hunk of angle iron, from Home Depot or Lowes.
    - cut it into 4 pieces, long enough to span the bolt holes front to back, and extend however many inches further you'd like to move it.
    - drill holes in the base of the "L" on the left track side, and a "J" (backwards L) on the right bolt holes, bolt these two angles to the floor.
    - mount the other two angles on the bottom of the seat. The left side has an upside L on the left, and on the right the upside down j.
    - the two vertical sides of the angle irons can be offset front to back to give you the extra length you need, drill through both in 2 to 3 places (on the verticle iron, drill holes horizontally), put bolts thru, and that side is done. Do the same thing on the other side.

That would add about an inch to inch and a half of height to the seat, but could move it back as far back as you wanted (assuming the wiring under the seat can extend as far as you need it to. If the extra height is a problem, you can do it with two different size angle irons, the larger one on the floor, both mounted in the L position. It would be harder to bolt together, but you could probably get the additional height down to about 1/2 inch.

You'd have to plan it out pretty well, take good measurements, and drill your holes accurately. Probably take you half a day to make this, putting the seat in and out while you are taking measurements and drilling holes. This would be plenty strong, use washers and lock rings.
  • hondacrv2005hondacrv2005 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a used Honda CR-V 2005 this past weekend from Toyota and need a manaul. Hopefully for free? Any advise/help?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to check this out: Where To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • starhuskerstarhusker Member Posts: 26
    Hi all, we (my wife and I) own a 2007 CR-V LX 4WD and we love it. Unfortunately, my wife rear-ended someone yesterday. It was her fault at a stop sign. Luckily nobody is hurt. The other car was a SUV with minor scratch, but our CR-V has some problems: the front plate holder (and the plate of coz) felt off. There is also a few cracks in the front bumper and around the big "H" sign. Can someone help to me estimate how much it costs to fix it? Is it as easy as a DIY job if I order parts online? Our comprehensive insurance has a 500$ deductible. I'm wondering if we should report the claim or not.. Thanks all.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I can't speak specifically to your Honda, but just last weekend I (actually I had my daughter help) took the rear bumper off of our Toyota Camry. My daughter just getting her license, backed into a garbage can in our driveway and cracked the plastic taillight lens. I found the lens cheaply enough on the internet, and thought great....no big deal. Unfortunately , in order to replace the taillight, you have to completely take off the rear bumper, and the inside of the trunk.

I have a set of factory service manuals, so knew where all of the screws would be, and the sequence to take it apart. Even then, it was tricky.

I would suggest if you are going to attempt that, you get a set of factory service manuals which I assume Hondas would show you how to replace the bumpers.
    You'd have to get the bumper repainted, if I was you I think I'd just have a shop do the repair.
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    You will want to just file a claim because if the other driver files agent your auto insurance policy it will pay out from the property damage portion of the policy. Some Companys have a threshold that must be met before it is considered chargeable. My guess is that a few scratches will meet that threshold. My CRV had the wind catch the door and slam it into a post in a parking lot. Maybe a 2 inch section of the corner of the door was bent and had cracked the paint. It ended up costing $833 to fix it. Talk to your agent and they should be able to help out, keep in mind it is in the agents best interest to have you not file. Also the pay out would be from the collision portion of your policy not the comp. section. Comp is things beyond beyond your control like hail, fire ect.
    $500 is an easy to reach on a repair. On most rear end accident I see the minimum pay out is at least $1200 plus when they pull the front apart there may be internal damage you are not aware of.
  • hondacrv2005hondacrv2005 Member Posts: 2
    I've tried it and I can't print out a copy. The copy available only has the table of contents. It would cost about $35 for the manual (book) -- is that reasonable? Do you know where else I can look? Thanks!
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    You could try an auto salvage lot. I would guess they have one from a salvage auto.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    eBay?

I only see '04 manuals on there right now, but if you look for a week, one will probably show up..

It might be $30 by the time you pay shipping, though...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator