Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    Front wheels and rear wheels don't follow the same track in a turn.. That is because the front wheels angle, as the rear wheels stay straight.. Tight turns could indeed engage the RT4WD slightly, and if there is a problem with the diff, then that could cause the noise problem.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    OK, I see your point, but I have never felt the RT4WD kick in on a basic turn. I wouldn't think the pressure build up between front and rear would be sufficient. I imagine Honda engineers considered this factor - they wouldn't want the rear wheels kicking in unnecessarily...
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Stevedebi - Kyfdx is correct. The rear wheels take a shorter path than the front ones. The best way I can think to describe is to say, "they cut the corner". If you've ever hit a curb with the rear tire, you know what I'm talking about.

Honda has "dumbed" down the system to allow a 2 or 3% difference in speeds before activating the clutch packs in the RT4WD system. This makes it possible to run tires that are inflated to a slightly different PSI. It also allows the car to trun without binding. When you take a sharp turn, like in a parking lot, you approach the limits of that 3% difference and the system starts to engage.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    Come on, varmint.... say that first line again... LOL

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nascar9900nascar9900 Member Posts: 48
    I had the same symptoms on my 2000 CRV AWD. The dealer changed the rear differential fluid (under warranty) and the sound went away.
    Kyfdx - I wouldn't want to spread bad mojo by pushing your luck. =)

Nascar - I had it happen with mine around 45,000 miles. I'm at 85,000 now and the sound has not returned.
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    wheelspin in traffic circles seems to kick it in also, mysteriously ;)
  • apiano29apiano29 Member Posts: 16
    Varmint: Thank you for telling me about the "hitch and a half" knot. Went on the internet and learnt how to do that knot. Not used yet. Will let you know once I use it.

I am not a complainer. I want to enjoy my new EX. When I complain about problems and cons I cannot enjoy my new car. I agree that it has a better engine than the old one (the 1999 one I exchanged for). Now about the screeching noise from my new EX. Tried calling Conicelli Honda Service dept. many times. Left multiple telephone voice messages. Conicelli Honda Service Dept. did not have the courtesy to even reply any of my telephone messages. I am thoroughly frustrated with Conicelli Honda in Conshohocken, PA.

In utter frustration yesterday evening I took my new 2004 EX to the dealer and met with the Sales Manager. Gave him the key and told him to drive it himself. So we went for a drive withthe Sales Manager driving. He admitted there is a very audible screeching noise and that the noise is annoying to him also. The noise starts at about 45 MPH speed and gradually increases with speed and at about 60 MPH it is unbearable. His opinion was that the noise was coming from the new hood rack. I disagreed with him and said that the noise was there even before the hood rack was put in. But people can disagree on things. That is OK. He told me to make an appointment with the Service Dept. and bring the car in to attend to the noise.

Well, I have left three messages with the Service Dept. at Conicelli Honda from 7:30 AM, at about 10: AM I left a message with the Manager, Service Dept. It is now 11:10 AM. No one at Conicelli Honda has returned my calls to make the appointment. So I have to take a day off from work to make the appointment, another day to drop the car off etc. etc. The same routine I went with the Roof rack. I live in PA but work in New York. Conicelli Honda in Conshohocken, PA is Lousy, Lousy. Lousy. Lousy. When are they going to let me enjoy the new car.

By the way I contacted Honda. They opened a case file about this screeching noise. That was lst Thursday. I was told that a Technical person would get back to me in three days. Today is Wednesday - seven days later I am still waiting for Honda tech. person to call. What is wrong with Honda??????????????????????????
  • nhstevensnhstevens Member Posts: 1
    Just picked it up new. Had very rough ride taking home and noticable vibration in steering wheel (also in seat). Took back for test ride by svc mgr. He also felt vibration; checked tire inflation. Had over 50lbs in all tires! Reduced to 26. Ride improved but vibration still there (svc mgr called it a tremor). Any ideas or similar problems. Svc mgr suggested waiting for 500 miles fo rit to work itself out.
  • gary_williamgary_william Member Posts: 52
    I had a screeching noise from the front end on my 03 EX. It turns out that the brake rotors were bad after 16k miles. The dealer replaced them free.
  • andriesandries Member Posts: 37
    One thing I agree with apiano29 is let everyone know if the service at the dealership is lousy, and the internet is a good way to start. I have always said that "warranty is only as good as the dealership." If you got a lousy dealership, then you are going to have lousy warranty. With the price of vehicles and the cost per hour service charges, then in my books things better be run to satisfy the customer. I know our Honda dealership that we have in Regina is GREAT!! After you by a vehicle there, they phone you almost once a week for the first month to see if there are any problems. In fact the little stub pipe on the top of the aircleaner which holds the hose broke, when I went to check the filter. I went to order one ($96), and told them what happened. They installed it, and supplied the piece on warranty. Service manager said that who knows just maybe the pipe was cracked in the first place. Thats what I mean by warranty is only as good as the dealer!!
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    is the vibration at a stop or at highway speeds? if it's at a stop, I think it's normal. The 2.4L 4 cylinder does vibrate the wheel and seat a little at a stop. If it's at highway speeds, it might be a wheel balance problem. The dealer should be able to rebalance them for you.

good Luck :)
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    Do you have the a/c on? Some vibration can come from the a/c compressor,try turning the cop on and off.
    Greetings from VA.
    fig.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I have 30k miles on my CRV and the brakes have plenty of pad left but when braking hard I hear
    a growling sound from the front. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe glazed pads.
  • brian135brian135 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 2003 CRV for less than 2000 miles and it is now in the shop for the second time. Both times I am told it is a faulty idle air control valve. Yesterday they told me I could pick it up, but when I got there they said they needed to keep it longer because "we think they might be something more that is wrong." DUH! Anyway, has anybody else experienced this problem, and what was the final outcome.
    Never heard of the fix before. What exactly is the problem? Can you describe the symptoms?
  • brian135brian135 Member Posts: 2
    When the automobile downshifts to gain more power (like when you are passing a car or going up a hill) the CRV begins to shimmy and shake and then actually looses power. There is one pretty steep hill near my house and I was concerned that I was not going to be able to make it up.
    I AM WORRIED ABOUT AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRES AT
    36K MILES. WHAT, IF ANY PROBLEMS ARE OCCURING AND IS IT WORTH THE COST OF AN EXTENDED WARRANTY?EARLIER POSTINGS TALKED ABOUT VALVE JOBS.I WOULD LIKE TO GO 100K MILES WITHOUT ANY
    PROBLEMS.SO FAR MY 02 HAS BEEN PERFECT AT 30K
    MILES.HONDAS GET YOU SPOILED WITH PERFECTION AND AM FEARFUL OF TRYING OTHER BRANDS.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    EARLIER POSTINGS TALKED ABOUT VALVE JOBS.

I think the posts were about valve adjustments, which is an entirely different thing.

JM2C
  • dkostasdkostas Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003CRV Automatic Transmission and I notice that whenever I accelerate from a stopped position, it is NEVER a smooth acceleration...almost like the transmission misses a beat. The Dealer said that is normal. Anyone else have this experience????
    All automatics change gears at certain rpms and some are smoother at the shift than others.If you came out of big v8 powered car you may rarely feel it shift.Mine is noticeable but
    nothing out of the ordinary.Have an unbiased
    3rd party test drive it.A repair shop is not
    unbiased neither is a dealer.
  • conartconart Member Posts: 1
    Hope someone can shed some light on this for us. not sure if we will purchase 01, 02. or 03. I am okay with Tax and tile fees but what about the rest. what is legit? (ie, doc. fee, finance fee emissions ,compliance) is it all nagotiable?and what should we pay? I have not found a site that gives me any answer.
      We will finance ourselves. ALSO, I just recievved my "special internet price quote " from a local dealer. as follows: 2003 lx 20560, auto special price,18.9!
      after research , I found the MRSP for a 2004 !MRSP to be 20,200 (honda website) 19.7 (edmunds)
      lower than the dealers 2003 quote, what should we be paying, what about a 2002 with 20000 miles
    ? Thanks for the help!
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    Have an '02 EX never experienced rough acceleration from a stop when applying normal power.BUT! the times I had to floor the pedal I have experienced a slight hesitation which I attribute to the changing of gears.
  • whathellwhathell Member Posts: 1
    Can someone pls help me out. I have a 98 CR-V LX and I have this problem lately. After I open the rear hatch glass, it's very difficult to close it - it seems like the glass gets too cold (I live in upper northeast) and the glass doesn't come in good contact with the lock for it to be locked. doesn't work even if I slam it hard. any insights? Thanks.
    Have you ever heard a scraping or squeaking sound from the back? Especially when driving over rough roads?

Early CR-V's had a problemw ith the striker plate becoming misaligned. This lead to a noise from the back of the vehicle. I suspect that it might also cause problems with how the latch closes.
  • jcn19jcn19 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just bought a new 2004 CR-V EX. It seems the alignment tilts to the right. When I called the dealer, he said it was normal for new ones. The problem will fix itself after a while. Is this the case?
    It's funny, when I first got my CR-V I would occasionally get a loud SQUEAK from the rear cargo area. I was about to take it to the dealer when I realized what it was.

I had two car seats installed, and the anchor straps were hooked to the ceiling anchor points in the cargo area. When there was a big bump, the car seats went up and down, the anchor strap moved, and the clamp rotated - causing the noise.
  • colorado_kidcolorado_kid Member Posts: 32
    jcn19... I noticed the same thing. It is almost as if the front wheels are "tilted" slightly outward. Our 02 V was the same way, and honestly most of the ones I see on the road "appear" to have the same thing. Our stock Duelers wore out quickly, and you could definitely see a cupping of the tires on the outside because of this. I had a 4-wheel alignment done at the same time we replaced the tires and it seems to be better. I am not sure if there really is some alignment problem, or what the case may be... but I do notice the same thing you do. MK
  • tomk17tomk17 Member Posts: 135
    It's not uncommon for new vehicles to be out of alignment right from the factory. If the vehicle pulls enough to warrant attention tell the dealer you want the alignment checked, period. I would first check all 4 tires for proper and equal inflation before you beef about it. Use an accurate dial type gauge (about $10+) not the cheap pencil style. Also, make sure it's not the crown on most 2 lane roads that you are feeling. Try the center lane on a 3 lane highway. There is no mechanical reason for this to "fix itself". Back when I read Consumer Reports I'd say 25% of the factory new cars they tested were out of alignment.
  • igoslowigoslow Member Posts: 1
    I have recently lost my air conditioning in my 2002 Honda CRV which 16,000 miles on the odometer. Dealer has advised it's my compressor and it's not under warranty because I must have run over a 'stone' or a 'stick'. This does not make sense. With that - I now have a $500 + bill. Has anyone else experienced issues with a compressor as I am having a hard time believing that is the issue when only drive my Honda to and from work each day (10 miles)? I have found only one posting with such issues.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    have them show you the old compressor. If it's damaged on the outside then it's been struck by something. seems like that would be pretty rare but sometimes strange things can happen.

If this is the case, it's not the fault of the manufacturer.
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    Where this animal is located in the engine compartment?

I have been closely following CRV forum along with Santa Fe forum that I am hoping they can help me to make my desicion.

Ohh! BTW, cars may not necessarly pull all the time if alignment is issue. Some times you realize you have alignment problem after the damage is done on tires.
    Isell,
          I am just curious, If the compressor was damaged by an object and I had Hondacare Warranty would it be covered?
    The Honda Warranties cover failure, not damage.
    However this might be covered by your comprehensive insurance policy just like a broken windshield would be.

If you have a high deductible it probably wouldn't be worth filing a claim though.
    Yeah, the insurance companies really gotcha there. Also, I have heard of some companies that will cancel policies if too many claims are made, even if they weren't the owners fault.
  • roksolidroksolid Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2004 cr-v last week and our salesman did not know what cr-v stands for . Can someone please tell us?
    We bought a 2004 cr-v last week and our salesman did not know what cr-v stands for . Can someone please tell us?

Comfortable Runabout Vehicle.

:)
    Very few people know that!
    go to crv opening page, you will see a thread for FAQ for the CRV. You can get more info on your query if you are interested.

Also, Good Luck on your purchase.

Isell, Stevedebi, Thankx for the info.
    Thanks, although I really think it stands for Combat Reconnaissance Vehicle    ;D

Super G.U.T.S. Recon Vehicle

And yes, that really is a 1st Gen CR-V hiding under all of those wonderful accessories. :D
    I have 30K miles on my V and am experiencing what
    I consider shudder when braking.Has anybody else experinced this? Is it worth worrying about.
  • coatingmikecoatingmike Member Posts: 44
    My mom asked her salesperson that when she bought the car. Noone knew, but they claim they found out. Consumer Recreational Vehical. Don't know if it is true, but it is what she was told so she takes it as Gospel. Mike
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Comfortable Runabout Vehicle.
    http://autopedia.com/Honda/97_CRV.html

Type "comfortable runabout vehicle" into a search engine like google and you'll get a ton of hits.
    That's downright scary!

tomsr,

You have warped rotors. This is caused by improper torquing of the wheels by someone. It can also be caused by hard, abusive driving habits.

At 30K, you may be due for front pads anyway. They can machine the rotors at that time to eliminate the shudder.
    I've been building a small knowledge base for frequently asked questions, common modifications, and fixes to common issues. It's still a work in progress, but I'll hold a grand opening soon. =)

What "CR-V" stands for is part of this article.

varmint "Honda CR-V Owners: FAQ" Nov 26, 2003 4:31pm
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    I also own a Mazda Protege5. There is a a really neat mod for the 5 where you take the wiper stalk from a 626 or MPV and put it in the 5 so you can have true variable intermittent wipers. Ya think there is anything similar for the CR-V?
    Dunno. But I'll look into it.
  • mrchuckmrchuck Member Posts: 21
    I power washed the engine and started easy. Then missed as I drove it. The "check engine light came on.I found water in the spark plug boots. Dryed it out, still missed.
    I put in new spark plugs, dryed out all I could see, and it ran fine for 30 miles, the engine light went out, and now missing again. And the "cel" is on again.
    Only have 40,000 miles on the car. Just went thru the 32,000 mile comprehensive dealer change all fluids, filters, a/c, eng tune-up, valve check, etc, etc, costing 800 dollars.
    I have noticed that if I open the gas cap, a "whoosh" sound is made and the engine miss goes away for about 30 miles, then starts missing again.
    Is this related to the miss, or just normal.
    Is something still wet? It has been 3 weeks since I de-greased the engine.

Thanks if you can help.
    I have the Ryan 7 year/100,000 mile extended warranty, that I bought when I bought the car new in Jan 2000.
    You may need to replace the distributor cap as well as the plugs. While I doubt anything is still wet, a connection may have become corroded.