Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Does this work in the same way with CRV's up to 2006? Anyone?

Yup, worked on the 2005 CR-V, which is the same as 2006.
    Can't help you with the seatbelt chime, other than getting a spare buckle and plugging it into the seatbelt latch.

But, with the windshield wipers, Subaru, is one of the few that offers heated wiper parking area. It has heating wires similar to the ones on the rear window.

But, I learned while living in Japan, is that if you lift the wipers before leaving the vehicle outside. This prevents the wipers from freezing to the windshield.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited August 2010
    Thanks.

Re the other, yes I do lift the wipers. I even do it in the summer so they don't sit and bake hard on the hot glass. Until a small bird started using them as a lookout perch and cra**ing all over my hood. And talk about a load, from such a small bird! It should be ashamed..

Was sitting in a Tucson the other day and noticed that the GLS model had a heated wiper area in the WS. Great idea but...Dodge minivans started doing that years ago.
    Does raise the price of a new WS a fair bit though, which...statistically will increase your insurance premiums too. Never a free ride in this world.

I actually find defrost ability on the CRV left a bit wanting. It does not heat the area of the WS low enough to keep the ice and snow cleared from the wiper sweep. Depending on conditions, it starts to jam the sweep return area on every stroke, and that can't be good for the wiper motor or linkage. It is a design flaw that combined with certain others, reminds me that even Hondas are FAR from perfect. I have owned TON of vehicles from all over the world. At times I wonder how they became as successful as they seem to be.

But I have to say, and so should others...when they blindly play ignorant about known long standing issues and don't step up to help loyal customers, they will feel the pain later IF WE ALL STAND TOGETHER and be diligent. I did this with Ford back in 1988 and I have boycotted them ever since. They have missed out on selling me numerous new cars and even a 110000 dollar heavy truck for their abuse of the common "little guy" buyer. I warned them I would. And I have been true to my word. Their loss the abusive idiots.
  • nayaknayak Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2010
    My Bridgestone @#%* Dueler H/T tires (OEM) have finally become bald at about 31K on my 2008 CRV.

What tires do you all recommend? Tirerack recommends Yokohoma Parada spec-x (is it the same as avid?) - looks like these have to bought online and shipped. I would just like to go to a shop (costco, sears, etc.) and get these installed. Costco choices are somewhat limited though.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited August 2010
    Also Costco doesn't do alignment, which you will certainly want to do with new tires. Did you read the user reviews on Tirerack?
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    Last year for our '07 we went to Costco for the Michelin Latitude Tour. We love them.
    Not cheap, but really good ride etc.
    And I really like the Costco way with hand-tightened lugs, tires inflated with nitrogen, jeez, the guy who did our tires had the Honda "H" in the center of each wheel lined up perfectly the same front and back -- despite the fact that eventually they change alignment because of wheels turning at different rates at times.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Check into low rolling resistant tires too if you do a lot of miles. They may be a slight premium, but will save up to 4.5% in gas. And likely provide a bit softer ride due to the same reasons they offer less rolling resistance.
  • cinglemomcinglemom Member Posts: 49
    I ordered from Tire Rack and they have special offers for places, like NTB, where you can have your tires shipped to them and then they will put your tires on for $12 each. I also have a 2008 CRV and my stock tires, Duellers, sucked. I had to change my tires at 32k miles. Right now i have Kumodo (sp?) tires on and they are good but I find that they slip when you accelerate in the rain. Seems to be very hard to find reasonably priced good tires now days. I might have to take out a loan in order to purchase the top of the line tires LOL.
    An update -

After reviews at Tirerack, and visits to Costco, Sears, and other tire locations, have zeroed in on a choice between 2 tires available at Costco: Bridgestone Dueler Alenza (yes! that Bridgestone again) and Michelin Latitude Tour.

These particular Bridgestone tires are rated quite highly on Tirerack (though not on Best Sellers list) and have sufficient number of inputs (very positive) from other Honda owners, have 65k warranty, and are on a $70 off coupon at Costco. The Michelin tires are about $230 more expensive (ouch) at Costco, have same level of warranty, and reviews are just outstanding. Some other tires at Tirerack may be on the Best Sellers list in Tirerack for CRV but some do not have the same load rating (< 102T as wanted by CRV) and/or have much fewer data inputs from Honda owners. Above 2 tires at Tirerack, after accounting for additional cost of shipping and install, come close in pricing but not less enough for me to not to go to Costco. Costco puts in Nitrogen and road side warranty comes standard (besides being a Costco nut).

Bridgestone is available right now; Michelin may need 3-5 days for availability but I can wait that much. Intend to drive the vehicle for about another 5 years atleast, currently do about 15k/year mostly on highway, do not care much about noise but gas mileage and handling important in that order. I wish Michelin was on the sale that the Bridgestone is currently at - it does come on sale at Costco 3-4 times a year but just not right now. Have to purchase tires by the end of the month otherwise will fail inspection.

Do you believe the Michelin will be worth the price difference?

Thanks!
    Sorry that second para was actually 4 separate paragraphs - they all got combined into one single one - not sure what happended.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2010
    Hard to say with computers. For the next time, remember that you can edit your post for 30 minutes after posting.
  • cyniccynic Member Posts: 70
    We have Michelin latitudes on our 2008 CRV and they are really good, I can't comment about the longevity yet, we had them for about a year and 15k, but the traction is great in winter (we live in Minnesota).
    Ok - just went ahead and picked the Bridgestone Alenza for replacement at Costco. Unfortunately - while the Costco tech was working on one of the replacement tires, the valve shaft portion of the TPMS sensor fractured and completely separated. It was not in stock so it could not be replaced, but will be ordered and will have to go in again to Costco to get it installed. I hope Costco will not ask me to pay for it, and am not sure how much they cost. Will know that tomorrow when the costco tech calls back.
    Steve, I did try editing a couple of times, copy/pasted line by line, and it still did not help. I think it may be because I have to use IE 6 (which is old) for compatibility issues with other software on my m/c.
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    I ended up putting the Michelin Harmony on my '02. Even though Tirerack cited noise issues, I haven't had any problems. So far have about 800 miles on them and handling is great. Don't know about winter traction yet but expect to be good as well. Unfortunately most of the tires I have had wear out at about 30K, even with alignments and rotations.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Member Posts: 29
    The driver-side rear door lock on my 2005 CR-V will not consistently lock/unlock using the remote key fob. Sometimes it does work. This leads me to think the inside mechanism may need to be lubricated. Has anyone else had this problem. If so, how did you repair it? It seems that taking the rear door inside panel loose and lubricating the mechanism should not be too difficult, but I have never done it before. I'm afraid to even ask for a quote from the local Dealer, and any advise will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jack
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I ended up putting the Michelin Harmony on my '02

You'll be quite pleased with their winter traction and their tread life. We've got 4 years and 45K on ours and they are still great tires.
    The driver-side rear door lock on my 2005 CR-V will not consistently lock/unlock

Been there, its the actuator.
    Thanks for your response. Have you replaced an actuator and, if so, please advise the total cost?
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    My son and his wife have a '07 CRV with 27.500 highway miles on the odometer. Today, while the vehicle was being serviced, dealer said that at next service appt. tires will need replacement. Is this common for the model brand????
    I used a private mechanic that specializes in Honda and it was around $175. I expect a dealer more around $250. IIRC the part is a tad shy of $150.
    If you've got OEM Bridgestone, probably.
  • hawg1983hawg1983 Member Posts: 2
    I replaced the driver door lock actuator today on my '04 CR-V. Total cost from autozone was $83 and change shipped to my door. This job took me about 3 hours and wasn't easy. Lot's of sites that show how to do it but none of them were descriptive in how to get the old actuator removed and the new installed. I was successful however and now the doors all lock/unlock as advertised with the remote. Was worth the hassle though considering the labor I saved.
    Thanks for your informative response. I finally called the local Honda Dealer and inquired. They also suspect it is most likely a bad actuator. Unfortunately, they estimate something North of $300.00 to install a replacement actuator. Well, I immediately decided I could learn to live happily with what I have, and I will.
  • therivertheriver Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2010
    I know we could a whole thread (?) on tires, but I was looking at CR and they mentioned Hankook H727. Seems like they get excellent reviews on line, but honestly have never heard of the company. I currently have Yoko AVID and am tired of them - noise is too much (and they are worn anyway).

I live in Boston area so definitely need something with some winter grip.

I have also checked on some of the other tires mentioned, but the Hankook seems to have decent all around traction.

The car is an 04 with about 105K
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,214
    I recomment Nokian WR..

Great winter traction.. Dry road performance is as good or better than most all-seasons...

Downsides: Pricy.. thin dealer network (though maybe better in the NorthEast)..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jesmedjesmed Member Posts: 1
    I live in Boston area too and last year got a new set of Dunlop SP60's which I'm very happy with. Although they are listed as "All Season" tires, they have a blocky tread that gives great snow traction. They ate through last year's big snows as well as dedicated "snow tires", but you can leave them on year round. Blocky tread design may make them somewhat noisier than treads with smooth ribs, but I'm willing to make that trade for great winter traction. Best resource for comparing tires is Tire Rack's "Survey" tab. They'll show you actual customer survey results for each tire category. Dunlop SP60 got best snow traction rating in the "Passenger All Season" category, and ranked 5th overall out of 26 tires in the category. Also, very reasonably priced.
    They've got Continentals
  • therivertheriver Member Posts: 70
    thanks for all the help on tires, still reviewing, On another matter, my headlight lenses are all foggy, scratched etc. just from normal wear and tear. Has anyone ever done some sort of cleaning or treatment to make them clear (or less unclear) again?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,214
    I think Meguiars has a plastic polish, especially for that purpose... It's a common problem on late '90s BMWs...

No experience with it, though..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2010
    Some guy around here wrote a guide about that. No personal experience with the gel toothpaste treatment though. :P

Healing Hazy Headlamps
  • tomk17tomk17 Member Posts: 135
    Use the 3M Headlight Restoration kit sold at Walmart for about $18. Don't even mess around with the others. Comes with a wheel that attaches to your cordless or corded drill.
  • madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    Looks like it is necessary to disconnect the air intake pipe before replacing the air filter(pipe going into the filter housing). I looked at the instructions on line and the guy had the top of his filter housing box all the way over when replacing the air filter. He did not mention taking this pipe off, but it looks like the pipe would break if it was not disconnected. Can anyone confirm this? I have a 2003 model.

Thanks for the input!
    Looks like it is necessary to disconnect the air intake pipe before replacing the air filter(pipe going into the filter housing). I looked at the instructions on line and the guy had the top of his filter housing box all the way over when replacing the air filter. He did not mention taking this pipe off, but it looks like the pipe would break if it was not disconnected. Can anyone confirm this? I have a 2003 model.

Thanks for the input!

There are 2 connections to the top of the filter housing. Big air intake hose, and a small tube. Both need to be removed to be able to move the top of the air box out of the way.
  • qinsong99qinsong99 Member Posts: 20
    Hi, everyone:

I am really disappointed on my 2010 CRV, which was made in Japan but has been in shop multiple times. The car has several assembly issues: right strut rattling, lossen driver seat and annoying noise (intermitent) on sharp right turn. I brought the car to the dealer many times, the rattling noise and the losen driver seat were fixed, but no answer for the right turn noise.. I almost lost hope of fixing this issue and am considering trade it in for a different brand. Does anyone on this board has any clue? Many thanks.
    Remember the number of times you dropped off the CRV at the dealer, and if the same issue was not resolved after a set number of visits the dealer should declare it a lemon and give you a refund. Goggle Lemon Law/go on Honda website/access your state's website and read up on this law. Make sure you have proof of work order each time you visited the dealer and for what exactly. You need to have a conversation with the dealership manager, and if he/she jerks you around go up to Honda.
  • catlady5catlady5 Member Posts: 2
    I used to have this noise, but the dealer took care of it. They have to clean off the grease from - don't know what's it's called - but the rods where the tires are attached to the frame. Then they regreased everything. My dealer says that it's a common problem, but easily fixed. Have your dealer call Tamaroff Honda in Southfield, Michigan, on Telegraph Road.
  • catlady5catlady5 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    I'm leasing my 2007 CR-V, with 12,000 miles allowed per year. Then we plan on purchasing the car. My husband puts a lot of miles on a car and drives it until it dies. Does anyone know how many miles I could expect on this car?
    Most modern cars will go 175K and last ten+ years. Of course, this presumes no bad accidents and good maintenance. Naturally, there will be repairs for items that wear out---what we call "expendables"---like tires, brakes, belts, hoses, wipers, struts, battery, etc.
    Thank you so much for the info. This noise really drives me nuts. I almost lost hope of resolving it and my dealer already tried all their best to help me. I will take the message to my dealer and hope that they can resolve the issue for me.
    I have been having that issue with my '02. Unfortunately the dealer dismisses the issue as brake dust. Noise comes from the rear when making sharp right turns - sounds like an old phongraph player scratch. I think there has been a service bulletin for possible rear differential noise needing a fluid change. :confuse:
    edited October 2010
    Doesn't quite sound like your problem, but here it is anyway. Keep in mind that a TSB is on your dime on a 2002 model:

August 12, 2009

Applies To:
    2002-06 CR-V - ALL with 4WD
    2007 CR-V - From VIN 5J6RE4...7L000001 thru 5J6RE4...7L019269
    *2007 CR-V - From VIN JHLRE4...7C000001 thru JHLRE4...7C068888*
    Moan or Groan From the Rear Differential

(Supersedes 07-024, dated May 5, 2009, to revise the information marked by the black bars and asterisks)

*REVISION SUMMARY

In Applies To, the 2007 Japan-produced model VIN range was changed.*

BACKGROUND

A moaning or groaning comes from the rear differential when making a sharp or tight turn at low speeds.

PROBABLE CAUSE

Contamination in the rear differential fluid.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Replace the rear differential fluid, and burnish the rear differential clutches.
    The noise of my 2010 CRV is from front right side. Dealer replaced both the right front strut and the sway bar linkage, but did not help. They also replaced the rear differential fluid twicebut the noise is till there. I will go to the dealer tomorrow and let them re-grease the tire rod etc as suggested catlady5. Thank you so much.
    Just a wild guess - possible bearing plate on top of the strut? Hope all goes well for you.
  • weitlamweitlam Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am looking for some help on purchasing new tires. I have a 2008 CRV EX and have been told I need new tires at 29500 miles. I have been told that I can get a Kumho tire for $448 plus tax (7%) or Yokohama Avid Touring S tires out the door for $563.42....Should I play more for the Yokohama? Any other ideas on tires that are not too pricey? Thanks so much!
  • barryzbarryz Member Posts: 43
    I don't have any ideas on what tire, just make sure you do not buy from an online tire store, by the time you pay shipping and then pay someone for mounting, its a big expense. Do not buy the tires at the honda dealer, they will overcharge you. I have always done well buying tires at BJ's or Costco, if you have one in your area. They have tire pricing on their websites for the vehicle you enter, so if one of those has a store near you, check it out. Keep your eyes on their website for sales, they often have like $100 off 4 on a particular brand, my last purchase at bj's saved me about $75 off the cheapest price on that tire anywhere else, and included lifetime rotation and balancing and road hazard repair/replace. That savings was counting the money i spent to join the club, so i saved 75 plus had a years membership.
    I'm leasing my 2007 CR-V, with 12,000 miles allowed per year. Then we plan on purchasing the car. My husband puts a lot of miles on a car and drives it until it dies. Does anyone know how many miles I could expect on this car?

I had an '85 Civic that had 265,000 miles on it when I sold it in 1995...

If you put work into maintaining the vehicle and repairing it in a timely fashion it will run forever.

Vehicle life is dependant on how much money the owner wants to put into the vehicle. At some point people make a concious decision to not to invest in their ride and "drive it into the ground"
    Hi, I am looking for some help on purchasing new tires. I have a 2008 CRV EX and have been told I need new tires at 29500 miles. I have been told that I can get a Kumho tire for $448 plus tax (7%) or Yokohama Avid Touring S tires out the door for $563.42....Should I play more for the Yokohama? Any other ideas on tires that are not too pricey? Thanks so much!

If you can wait until Black Friday, discounttire.com will have a sale. I have bought my Yokohama Avid Touring S there for $50 a tire, shipped!!! $200 for a set of good tires shipped is a great deal!!!

Get them mounted at Walmart or Costco for $10 a tire.
    Stay away from the Cooper CS-A. I had them on mine for a week and had the shop take them back off. The handling was very unresponsive and highway noise was unacceptably loud. I ended up putting the Michelin Harmony on and have been pleased so far. Rather expensive around $120 per tire but pretty quiet with good traction.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Here's another vote for the Michelin Harmony. I've had them on my '06 CR-V for 3 weeks & am highly satisfied with ride, handling & noise (or lack thereof) characteristics.

As previously noted, they're not cheap, but I'm not one to cut corners on tires.