Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

SUV vs Minivans

Comments

• inspectoringinspectoring Member Posts: 102
    I agree that vans are the best - but what about in the snow? I have asked almost 100 people and everyone agrees to two things
    1. Vans are the best for efficiency/space/convience
    2. Vans will not perform as good as SVUs in the upstate NY/Canada snow/ice/rain
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Tires help. When I was up north I drove minivans for ~12 years. They did fine with studded tires, but we didn't get lake effect snow either. Seems like studs are banned a lot back in that part of the world. Studs really helped out at the intersections in town, both to stop on the black ice and then to get moving again.

Ground clearance could be an issue if you insist on going out during one of those infamous two foot dumps of snow.

Then there's the AWD Sienna to toss in the mix.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    And that Sienna has extra ground clearance, too, a lot more than an Odyssey, for instance.

The only catch - you gotta get run-flat tires.
    Run-flats would just about be a deal killer. Are people able to swap them out?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    You are right about the tires, steve, if folks would keep aware of wear and replace before they need replacing -- a front wheel vehicle with great tires will take you through a lot of trouble. A set of 4 snow tires for northern climates can offer additional security. Great tires on a fwd trumps awd on baldies everytime.
    Fortunately, yes. The Sienna's rims will fit standard 17" tires. You may want to get a donut and toss it in the 3rd row well, though.

Ody has odd rims (17.5" IIRC) that will not fit standard tires, but Honda doesn't offer their SH-AWD system on it anyway. Pilot it is, for Honda.
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    have been there myself for the last couple of months, deciding whether or not to ditch my Ody for a cheaper SUV. Almost bought a 2003 MDX yesterday. When it came right down to it, nothing can touch the Odyssey for practicality, comfort and
    cost to operate. Granted, I dont live in a snow area, but the thought of giving
    up that much room, the sliding doors for the kids, the better mileage, being able
    to run on 87, it just wasn't worth saving the money to buy a used car. If I were you,
    I would be pick up a CPO 2009 Odyssey. You get teh benefit of the powerliftgate.
    make sure if you do, the transmission judder has been addressed. good luck!
  • cschafercschafer Member Posts: 2
    Hello - I am a mother of 4 looking for my next vehicle. I currently drive an 03' Chrysler TC MV. I have four kids ages 7 and under and all are in car seats. I am packed to the gills. I am looking at both new MVs and SUVs. Any thoughts or suggestions out there. My biggest complaint in the MV is that there is no room to take a guest and not enough cargo room for week long travel. We have to pack the aisles and add a car top carrier. I hate to be crowded. I would really like some cargo room and the ability to bring a friend or sitter along comfortably. Gas mileage and reliability are important. I live in Indiana so snow is not a real issue. No towing or off-roading. I am NOT concerned with status - I want functionality and space. Any suggestions?
    If you don't want to put cargo in the aisles, the primary thing is to avoid captain's chairs.

I suggest the van I chose - an 8 passenger Sienna. Get a 2010 model, because you get 3 adult-sized chairs. The middle one is a full 20" wide.

That lets you put 3 kids there, and just one in the back row. You can split fold the back row and get a big, L-shaped cargo area, for a lot of cargo.

You can also seat 6 children.

Here is a huge image:

http://www.toyota.com/img/vehicles/2010/sienna/gallery/full/2009-Sienna-14.jpg

Imagine you fold the 60 portion of the 3rd row, you'd have plenty of cargo space. The only catch is the 4th child would sit alone and next to cargo, so make sure it's secured to the tie-downs that are supplied.
  • cschafercschafer Member Posts: 2
    OK - so I love the layout however in looking at the model online I discovered a few more things that I would like to have......leather, heated seats, camera, dvd, etc. The 8-passenger Toyota is not available in any configuration that includes leather. Any other thoughts - I really do like the layout of the 8 seater. Thx.
    Yes, good point, 8 passenger only comes with the CE and LE models. You could add aftermarket Katskins leather if you really had to, but other equipment would still be missing..

The Odyssey offers an 8 seat model, but the seat is more narrow, it's really just a bridge between the 2 others seats. I'm not sure if 3 child seats across would even fit, as the seats tend to be fairly wide.

Ody and Sienna are the only 2 minivans to offer 8 seats, IIRC.

Here's a pic of that van's interior:

http://automobiles.honda.com/images/2009/odyssey/interior/interior-header.jpg

I would test-fit your car seats first, to make sure they fit. It has fewer tether anchors, too, I've heard.

Toyota will launch a new Sienna soon, but the middle row looks more like the Ody's, with a narrow mother-in-law seat in the middle. Can't find a pic with the 8th seat, but it would go between these chairs:

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/31553694+w750+st0/2011-toyota-sienna-interior-s- econd-row-seats.jpg
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    Whether 'tis nobler to weather the slings and arrows of being a minivan owner, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by driving an SUV, end them...

My wife has given the go-ahead to try and sell our 2000 Durango (199K, 2WD, 318, 6-passenger) to attempt to purchase a same generation Chrysler minivan (I found a well-kept '98 T&C with 184K locally, the guy is willing to trade even up).

Our Durango has been an interesting purchase. We bought it from a dealer in Oklahoma on eBay, knowing three things: a) it was a good looking truck inside and out, b) the engine was known to be bad, and c) it was a bank repossession with 172K on it. For $1700 in February 2009, it was a good deal. I went to a junkyard and purchased a 124K mile engine for $600 and paid $550 for my local mechanic to install it. We had a running driving truck with cold AC for the next year. Two problems got fixed, one, the torque converter bolts backed out and our mechanic fixed this for free, and two, the radiator and water pump failed. We had those fixed for about $230 each and it's been great. Now the A/C has a leak at the port where you fill it, and it's a $120 part. So we're looking into the minivan thing, because finding a third row seat to match the interior is driving my wife and I crazy. They're either the wrong color, or the wrong fabric, or the junkyard wants $400+ for the setup.

If nothing else, it will be a learning experience. The last Chrysler van I drove was a taxi in Dallas, a 1999 Grand Voyager with the 3.3L. It was very comfortable to drive and I look forward to that experience with the Chrysler. I'll update here as needed. I know my wife will miss her truck, but I also know she would love to take our kids to see my grandmother for the first time before she passes, and with the 6-passenger Durango, one of us would have to stay home.
    You must have some funny junk-yard stories to tell.

Good luck with the swap.
    I just did a quickie road trip and saw one car broken down on the side of the road in 3 days. It was an old Caravan/Voyager - it was a short wheel base one like my old '89. It was probably pushing 250,000 miles.

I had a rental Grand Caravan a couple of years back and it drove well. I was happy with the free upgrade.

Oh, I need tires on my current van so we took the Outback. It'll hold everything we need, but the van sure is easier to pack. More comfy too.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter wants to talk with recent buyers of a 6+ seat vehicle. Please respond to pr@edmunds.com by Friday, June 4, 2010 and be sure to include your phone number and the vehicle model you own.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I take it 3 years ago is not "recent"? :D
  • 8enough8enough Member Posts: 3
    Hello my husband and I are going to be car shopping in March. We will be buying either his or mine cash . He is getting a 2010 Charger while me the mommmmmmmmmm has to get a SUV or mini van........ Which I don't want a mini van. Currently I have a Armada but bc of the high miles I will be selling it and putting the cost to a new SUV for me. I did look at the 2011 Odyssey (spelling) and I love the look on the outside but honestly don't know. I think I'm gonna get a Honda Pilot. I'll be honest.......... and say I like the look of my Armada a lot better then the Pilot and Odyssey however bc we are coming into some money to buy two new cars I need to stay within a certian price.( One car will be cash probley my husbands ) and I'll put $15,000 down on mine. I want to keep my payments as low as I can and bc of our credit I THINK that is leading me to a Honda Pilot. I wish it was a 2010 or 2011 Armada but the cost difference is just to much for us as the whole goal is to get my car payment down lower then what it is now.

We have to have 8 seats. Cargo is not a big worry as I do shopping when kids are at school etc. We will be going on Vacation next summer however will use the luggage rack for that.

Can anyone give us advice on if it is smarter to buy a 2010 Charger with cash and put $15,000 down on a Pilot or Pay Pilot Cash and say put $10,000 down on the Charger and finance that?

also does anyone know how much they come down on prices if your buying cash? Say the SUV cost $32,000 ( the New Pilot we looked at today) How much do you think they normally come down on it if it's cash? thanks in advance.

A heart broken Armada owner LOL

btw my kids are older kids and fit fine in the Armada.
  • 8enough8enough Member Posts: 3
    Also. does anyone know since we won't be buying for 6 months ( when we get the money) how much the price will come down on 2010 models?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It won't matter; there won't be any new 2010s left by Spring of 2011.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Paying cash does not result in any price reduction on a vehicle - in fact, it deprives the dealer of another way to make money because they don't get a cut of any financing.

When the time comes, closely examine manufacturer financing incentives. Dodge seems to run zero percent deals frequently, certainly a better way to go than paying cash for a vehicle that will depreciate like a rock. Also, Honda always runs a big President's day promotion in February.

Last thought, unless you really need 4wd, get over that minivan dislike. Feature for feature, they are usually less expensive than an SUV. Further, they drive and ride better, are easier to park, a far more versatile (try hauling 4 x 8 foot sheets of plywood in a Pilot) , and get better mileage than SUVs.
    I was about to post the same thing - look at what finance incentives each has when it's time to buy.

Pay cash on the car with more cash back, and finance the car with the more attractive loan rate. Win-win.

The Charger is being updated soon so expect big incentives. The Pilot is also getting long in the tooth.

Another thought - don't buy the Pilot if you don't like it. Lowering the payment won't make you happy if you don't like what you're driving. Get another CPO Armada or something.
    You mean the new for 2009 Pilot? I'm not a fan of it, but it's hardly old by today's standards. The CX-9, Highlander, and Murano are all at least as old (most older) than the current Pilot, aren't they?
    Wow, is it that new?

I guess I didn't really like it when I came out, so I'm already looking forward to the redesign.
    Sadly yes; the original Pilot debuted in 2002 as a 2003 model and ran for 6 years (like the Odyssey which officially ran '05-'10).
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    What about the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, or the Chevy Traverse. Worlds better looking than the Pilot and about as versatile as a Mini Van. Give them a look at the very least.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    Absolutely agree with your suv/minivan comparison..I'm amazed at how many people reject minivans mainly because of their looks..for the money minivans, especially the honda lx, (base version), are hard to beat..we enjoy taking long trips in it and absolutely love the versatility it offers..
    I have one and my favorite feature are the power doors. They take no space and have huge openings, even the dog can just hop in. Much easier access.

My only regret is not getting a power hatch (for when you have something heavy in your arms).

Also, a good mid-size SUV will have about 70-100 cubic feet capacity.

A similarly sized minivan will have 150. So up to double the space.

You really have to go to a Suburban to match a minivan, and then you're vehicle is nearly two feet longer.
    A Women’s Health magazine reporter is interested in speaking with women on the appeal of SUV’s and Minivans. If you previously owned a minivan and currently own an SUV or other crossover utility vehicle and are interested in speaking with this reporter about why you chose it and what you like about it, please respond to pr@edmunds.com with your name, email address and day time phone number by Wednesday, August 3, 2011.
    A reporter is hoping to interview a car shopper in S. California who is using the Internet to do automotive research. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Monday, September 19, 2011 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.
  • yousafyousaf Member Posts: 4
    Well I personally prefer SUVs but I was practically forced to buy a minivan. I just sold my 2007 Acura MDX. SUVs are nice and make you look rich. Midsize SUVs usually have luxurious design but aren't as comfortable as minivans. Their 3rd row seating isn't very practical. If you have over two children or you travel a lot with a large and older family then I recommend a minivan. If you don't travel a lot an you have a small family of three or less then midsize SUVs are fine. Just the space becomes in an issue with midsize SUVs. Now full size SUVs are better but they have terrible fuel consumption. They also usually have very high interest rates and are very expensive. No one really buys them and they have terrible resale value. They also don't have as many features as minivans.

Since I got rid of my X5 I just bought a Honda Odyssey Touring Elite for 43,000 dollars, which is the fully upgraded model. I wasn't so happy selling my MDX but I had to as I have one 15 year old and an 11 year old. I also travel with my cousin and his wife plus his 14 year old son. Our MDX became a headache. My son complained a so much about the third row, so we sold our MDX last week. Then we visited the toyota dealer and checked out the Sienna. Then we went to Honda and I checked the Odyssey out. I sat in the third row and man was it comfortable or what. Very easily can three full size adults fit in the third row. Now then my wife and I debated between Odyssey and Sienna. My wife and I both loved the Odyssey. It is perfect for young children if you have any, even though we don't. I love the space. The Odyssey has some really nice features such as: a cool box, flat fold third row seats, power rear hatch, power sliding doors, ultrawide rear entertainment screen, and what not! I highly recommend the Honda Odyssey 2011. AMAZING MINIVAN!!!
    It was the unselfish thing to do...your passengers will thank you.
  • lxowner2lxowner2 Member Posts: 51
    What made you purchase the Odyssey over the Sienna? I am thinking of going with the Sienna because I like the AWD option.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    We came out of an Ody and into a Sienna. We started toward the Sienna because of the AWD and were never happy with the snow/ice performance of the Ody even with Blizzaks. Once I gave the Sienna AWD a good look and balanced the pro's/con's we ended up with a FWD. The system is very basic, drags mpg, and the run-flats are not my cup-o-tea.

I personally like everything about the Ody better except for the exterior styling. But given that not much changed in the overall mechanicals I have doubts the new ones are any better in the snow/ice. Ody was the worst FWD I've owned for winter performance so I guess we'll find out how the Sienna does. We drive a lot of very hilly and rarely plowed roads so really we would prefer an SUV. But the compromise of space just doesn't cut it.

We looked closely at the Acadia but there is just not enough cargo space if you need the 3rd row, which is the only reason I can imagine buying one of these vehicles. We have several 4x4 vehicles around so we have choices if the weather turns really foul. But it never fails we'll be on a trip and hit some weather coming or going. Nice to know you can actually get home once you get off the highway. We managed with the Ody and Blizzaks but it was not impressive.
  • yousafyousaf Member Posts: 4
    Hmm I purchased an Odyssey and not a Sienna because Sienna does have a nice exterior from the front however the back looks kind of messed up. The Odyssey is actually better exterior. The Honda Odyssey has better interior features and a better interior design unlike the Sienna where everything looks so messed up in the front where all the AC controls are.

Somethings I really liked about the Sienna was that it had AWD, it was really spacious much more than Odyssey, it had more trim levels and starting price for leather was cheaper, the front design I love it, and a few other minor things.

One kind of dumb thing Toyota did with the AWD models are that they only have 7 seats if you want AWD. If you get standard 2WD then you get 8 seats.

Overally I think both vans are very good and spacious epecially after selling an Acura MDX.
    edited October 2011
    Good point - I wanted AWD and 8 seats even back in MY2007, but had to compromise. We choose the 8th seat, since we also own a Subaru.

Is that still the case with the 2011s?
    2011+ the XLE AWD and all Ltd models come with the 7 pax lounge seating. LE AWD just has plain 7 pax seating.

I'm guessing there's something mechanical from allowing the 8-pax seating on the AWD models. The driveshaft goes through where the spare tire would be on FWD models which is why they only have run-flats on AWD. The AWD Ltd also loses the power third row because of some limitation.

It could also be a weight limitation since the AWD adds significant heft. Curb weight on a Ltd AWD is 335# higher than a FWD LE and 200# heavier than a FWD Ltd. That's more than one pax by most definitions.
    I know on the 2004-2008 models the floor stamping was different when you compared the 7 and 8 seaters. I'm sure that plus the other things you mentioned are all factors.
    You can see that with the complexities that go into the AWD models (down to different body parts, seats, tires, etc.) why they're not offered by other brands. And even though that was the main reason we originally gravitated toward the Sienna to replace our Ody....we came home with a FWD.
    Yep - like run-flat tires, what I've observed to be the #1 most common complaint when it comes to Siennas.
    That was the biggest factor in our skipping the AWD. It was also a big factor when we skipped the Ody Touring back in 2005 (lack of 8 pax seating was another). At least with the Ody you could still swap out (after big $$) and install a spare. No good option for that on the Sienna without giving up valuable cargo room.
    Yep - like run-flat tires, what I've observed to be the #1 most common complaint

Funny, so it's either that the van has too many PAX or not room for enough pax. :shades:

I'd love a 5 passenger minivan but I guess we'll have to move to France to find one. The Mazda5 is pretty close with "just" 6 seats.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    I'd love a 5 passenger minivan but I guess we'll have to move to France to find one. The Mazda5 is pretty close with "just" 6 seats.

I figured you had already lived there at some point. You do get around...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    As much as I prefer the interior of the Ody to the Sienna, I think I would choose the Sienna if only because it seems to be the only minivan that doesn't consistently have transmission complaints. I think I could make a XLE AWD work.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

The powertrain on mine is a dream. Very quick, fuel efficient, trouble-free.
    We never had trouble with the tranny in our Ody over 100k miles. Had trouble with just about everything else though. :P I would just buy what you like best. We've had the Sienna in for several things already as well. Nothing major, just silly stuff that happens when you have $10,000 of electronic gizmos. Bluetooth, NAV, sliding doors, radar cruise...and the best part is the techs have no clue how to fix this stuff. Well they finally fixed the doors but the rest is just tough S#@$ I guess. At least the Honda dealer gave us a loaner! I miss the old Honda and Toyota. Too bad they're the only game for decent driving minivans.
    A reporter would like to interview anyone who has used Edmunds.com's Car Match.

Please email pr@edmunds.com by November 4, 2011 with your daytime phone number and a comment about your experience.
  • tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    edited January 2012
    I'd like to start a thread to report measurements (in inches) for SUVs and minivans because the real cargo space dimensions is a consideration in purchasing an SUV for me and for friends whom I asked.

Manufacturers usually report cargo space cubic footage, but when transporting large household items like a sofa or a painting or a dryer what really matters is how wide the cargo door opening is and how deep is the space.

My SUV experience was that Rendezvous had much better cargo capacity than RX350. Things still fit in the RX but fewer do and much tighter, requiring multiple trips at times.
    From memory the Rendezvous had a 48-inch wide opening, and fairly tall too. It never got to carry 4x8's in it, but it was big enough and did carry a plasma TV.

If you feel like measuring your cargo space and sharing the four measurements please post the following:
    • SUV or van model name
    • width at bottom (watch for wheel wells)
    • width at top (e.g. at ceiling or at side-folded third row seats)
    • height (watch for ceiling-mounted seatbelt spools and DVD players)
    • floor depth with second row seats folded down

An example:
    LexusRX350 44 42 30 72
    We have some help from this Subaru dealer, but I'll contribute:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2012.html

Forester 42 39 32 70

That's a big little SUV.
    Tribeca also:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca2012.html

Tribeca 43 x 32 78

I put an "x" because width at the ceiling is not measured.
    I don't have all the measures but a sheet of plywood fits easily inside on the flat floor, hatch closed. There's actually a little room to spare.

So the floor is bigger than 48"x96".