Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Cabrio

Comments

• frecklefacefreckleface Member Posts: 2
    Thanks whtcab97 and foxysox for the cupholder suggestions. I'm finding that most H2O bottles can sit securly on the floor in front of the passenger seat, held in place by the L-shaped seat adjuster device. Skinny ones sort of fit horizontally in the door pockets. It's just strange that we must go looking for creative solutions. Perhaps the VW people know that their clientele is inherently clever and inventive, and by withholding the obvious conveniences, we can be gratified by our own ingenuity.

I'm just back from my first real roadtrip in the new car; 1,000 new miles (more than half of my odometer's current total!) earned winding through the bluebonnets in Texas' hill country. Beautiful, I tell you. One highlight (though it did result in a semi-spilled cup of coffee -- grr) was Fossil Rim, a huge wildlife park not too far southwest of Dallas that's home to wild and endangered animals roaming around in their natural habitats. With the car topless on Saturday, I had gigantic ostriches and llamas and even a zebra sticking their heads into the car (hence spilled coffee) to check things out. They couldn't do that with the sedans and SUV's on the trail, now could they? Mmmhmm. I daresay they liked my Cabrio the best, as it gave them the opportunity to indulge their curiosity as much as we were indulging ours.

I installed my windstop for the trip but the only advantage I could detect was that it kept maps and things in the back seat from being whipped out into the countryside. Not sure I think it's worth hundreds of dollars...then again, I haven't driven a sustained 80 mph without it, so maybe it cuts down the wind more than I think. What do you all (y'all) think?
  • ragtop3ragtop3 Member Posts: 11
    Hello fellow owners-
    I’m lucky enough to own an ‘02 GLX with automatic that I’ve been driving for exactly 4 months. Some of you responded to my concerns about purchasing this car when I was shopping for one last fall (see comments 28, 33) and I thank you. I still have some regrets about the purchase but ironically, after babying the heck out of it during the break-in miles, it’s been the least problematic of my car purchases, most of which were Japanese. Some of you cynics are probably saying just wait, you’re turn will come and perhaps it will. My most pleasant surpise has been finding just enough power with the automatic serve my needs. The tricks are that the engine HAS to be warm and to keep the rpms high, then it moves somewhat like my old “87 GTI. I live in Minnesota and thanks to a mild winter I drove with the top down almost 20 times whenever the temperature got above freezing, without seat heaters this number would’ve been cut in half.

I’m pretty passionate about ragtops and altogether finicky about cars so I beg the question to you fellow owners; how do you deal with the dang blasted wind noise caused by the roll bar??? In other converts there is no such sound because they have no roll bar, the only noise you hear is quiet wind passing by. Often it’s so loud in the Cabrio that I retreat by rolling up the front windows at least part way which stinks ‘cause I like feeling the open window effect (naturally). I’ve also experimented with cranking up the radio but then I have two things howling in my ears. Fortunately, I knew about this shortcoming before purchasing the car but wonder if any of you could suggest a remedy. Does Linda’s (or whatever her name is) homemade windnet help alleviate the rollbar noise? I don’t know how it could since it goes BETWEEN the rolbars and simple physics would indictate a noneffect.

This car is otherwise a winner, especially when there are no mechanical difficulties, knock on wood. The forthcoming beetle convert doesn’t have a rollbar so maybe that’s the avenue I’ll take down the road. Interestingly, BMW will be offering a smaller cabrio in the near future for around 28 grand (almost reasonable) with 115hp 4cyl. engine; sound familiar? Ironically, I believe it has a rollbar but someone more knowledgable that me could better qualify that.

To steal a line from the long absent “Mike”– later Cabers!
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    does everyone think that, if one has their heart set on a Cabrio, but does not want many problems, would their best bet be to get the GL so that their is not any electric things to break like windows, top, seat heaters, etc? or are those things not problematic?
  • lkuntzlkuntz Member Posts: 6
    Hi everybody,

It's good to see the posts picking up again. (Hi Mike!) Sorry to hear about the problems people are having. It seems like they go in spurts. I bought mine used (green/black/beige '97) and had lots of things go wrong in the first couple months but I haven't had any problems recently. (Except for my engine light coming on, but that was due to me getting a tune up at All Tune & Lube and them duct-taping my spark plugs wire instead of replacing it. UGH!)

About the windstop questions - and yes I am totally biased since I sell them :) - I believe it makes a HUGE difference with a windstop installed, especially at freeway speeds. When I first installed mine after coming up with my alternative design last year, I started really noticing the difference at about 45-50 mph. I also commute on the freeway at 70mph, and with my then shoulder-length hair (longer now), I would get whipped in the eye by my hair and it would be a complete mess when I got to wherever I was going.

I also think it makes a difference with noise around the rollbar because the wind is basically only going over the top of the rollbar and not around it since the bottom of the rollbar is "blocked" if that makes any sense. Customers have also told me they noticed a noise reduction. I agree that it's not worth the $300 VW charges, but that's why I designed my own. You can check it out if you'd like: http://www.geocities.com/laurie_kuntz/windscreen.html

Mike can tell you about windstops too since he bought one from me last year. See post #94.

Laurie

• lkuntzlkuntz Member Posts: 6
    Just thought I'd pass on some info. since I seem to remember seeing someone's post a long time ago about having a sticky top. I saw this in the Yahoo Cabrio Club . . .

"To all owners of the 98 Cabrio Convertible - champagne or creme colored top:

I have one of these cars and two years into ownership, the top started developing black marks that were very hard to remove. It then turned an orange color and became very sticky. Into my third year of driving htis car, it is now ripping everywhere and literally "breaking down". It has also become very noisy when driving - with the top up.

VW is admitting this is a "manfacturer's problem" and they are willing to pay for half of the replacement cost. This is unsuitable to myself and

other people that I have gathered, all of whom have the same vehicle with the exact same problem. We are mounting a charge against VW to pay 100% of the replacement cost and start a possible recall for this year's Cabrio."

Exponent, Inc.

149 Commonwealth Drive

Menlo Park, CA 94025

650-688-7154

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cabrioletandcabrio/message/7307

Laurie

• beachgirlbeachgirl Member Posts: 3
    Hi all! I found this great website and have read all the good and bad things with owning a VW. Anyway I have had mine for one week now and I love it! I am taking my first road trip up the coast this weekend...so we will see how it really handles. Wish me luck :)
  • sgerlachsgerlach Member Posts: 17
    Beachgirl,

Sounds like you live in California?? Know you will enjoy the drive...especially with the great weather. If your cabrio handles like my 2000 cabrio, I know you will delight in the handling.
  • gratefullil1gratefullil1 Member Posts: 4
    Beach Girl,

I just drove my 2001 Cabrio GLS home last night and I assume we are both going through the same wonderful experience. I'm also road tripping to the beach this weekend, but I'm sure the Eastern Shore isn't much like California. Have fun!
  • houseofmousehouseofmouse Member Posts: 1
    Need help or the Cabrio gets the axe! I own a '00 GLS, bought it used (certified). Didn't notice the trans. disengaging or hard 2nd to 3rd shift while test driving it. Long story short, VW replaced the transmission & ECM, but it still has a hard up & downshift from 2nd & 3rd. Was told this was normal shifting in a VW auto trans. I say no way and am now looking for my 3rd VW dealership. I desperately need a straight answer.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I mentioned once before about helping my friend buy an 02 GLX. She was thrilled with the car and was only having a problem with the keyless entry working intermittently. Well, I'm happy to report it was her fault and not the car's and she has had no other problems. She was pointing the key fob at the door, which was too low to hit the infrared sensor on the dash. It has worked fine ever since she learned where to point it. I personally think you should be able to point the fob anywhere and still have it work, but oh well. Anyway, I finally got a chance to drive it. I was really really impressed with it! Even though it had the power sapping automatic, it seemed peppy off the line and was fine for city traffic. The seats are soooo comfortable and the handling was exceptionally good (this coming from someone who owns a Miata). The structure is very rigid and I didn't hear one rattle or feel any shaking. The interior detailing is exquisite, the leather looks and feels expensive, and I love how simple it is to put on the top boot. The paint quality was also impressive; very rich and had a deep gloss to it. The fold down rear seat is a nice feature to have and the trunk is much bigger then you would think. In fact, the whole car is very roomy and comfortable for 4 average sized adults. My friend has the same complaint that you gals do: that the cupholders provided are completely useless. The one for the rear seat should be in the front. I am going to be sad to see the Cabrio replaced by the cute but probably less roomy and less luxurious Beetle. Hopefully they decide to keep the Cabrio, redesign it, and finally give it a more powerful engine. I'm jealous of all you new Cabrio owners. You bought yourselves one nice car!
  • cabriodrivercabriodriver Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I drive a 97 cabrio (base model) and it has been lots of fun. I have had people stop and give me compliments but...I also have experienced problems.

1) The steering is really hard. I have checked the fluid levels .. that seems alright I have taken it to few mechanics and they can 't find any problems with it but I know it wasn 't this bad when I bought it 4 years back

2) The car shakes at high speeds and riding it is less smooth say as compared to Nissan Altima

3) Door handle... yes that is peeled off.

4) Top: That also has gotten black over a period of time.

I am planning to get it detailed so it looks better. Is there any body else who has complaints regarding the steering. I will be interested in hearing from them.

cabriodriver
  • halogenhalogen Member Posts: 20
    see YAHOO CLUBS for cabby owners(with over 1200
    members) :}
  • yippieeeeyippieeee Member Posts: 2
  • yippieeeeyippieeee Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking into buying A 2002 Cabrio, GLX. I was wondering how much you guys got your for as well as any safety concerns i may want to be aware of. I've heard things about the window regulator as well as deacceleration on the Cabrio, as well as an unusual amount of oil consumption. It would be very helpful if i could some feedback, thanks so very much!
    I'm reluctantly selling my 2002 Cabrio GLX with 4000 miles. Has automatic transmission, reflex silver with black top and black leather interior. My job is being eliminated in 52 days. I live in Minneapolis. The car is flawless and has no problems, see the following.

My brief experience has been positive, one rattle in the dash that the dealer immediately fixed. It burned a half quart of oil during the 1st 1000 miles but non since. As far as safety there's no getting around the fact that a hard top will always be better in a roll over accident versus a convertible even if it has a roll bar. However, the Cabrio is by far and away the safest convertible on the road due to VWs committment to safety, i.e. side air bags and antilocks as standard equipment in addition to mandatory front and side air bags that everyone has.

My e-mail is sean.cleary@provell.com until 7/12/02
    Yipieee-
    Hi! I purchased my 2002 GLX (Automatic) 1 month ago today! I love it! I have had no problems...and once you break the car in....over 1,000 miles the acceleration is great. I would recommend this car to anyone. It is fun to drive especially with the top down...living in So. CA I seem to drive everyday with the top down! I have received numerous compliments on the road. I bought the Reflex Silver with the Grey top. If I were you I would go for it and buy it! No worries....
  • chicubs23chicubs23 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2001 Cabrio GL. As I'm sure anyone with a 2001-2002 GL or GLS knows, the hub cabs are difficult to clean. I'm looking to replace the wheels with the VW "Suzuka" style alloys which come standard on the GLX. Anyone know where I might find a set?
    I worried about just that with the mutiple ports on the plastic hub caps and bought GLX to avoid the problem. I investigated custom wheels at tirerack.com, if you can live without the vw emblem on the wheel their options will save you at least $800 over the cost of vw wheels. Most of them look better too. With the money you save you can buy a bigger rim and tires which this car should be equipped with in the first place.
    02 GLX reflex silver/black top and interior with 4000 miles is NOT for sale. Thanks for your e-mail inquiries though. It's finally 80 degrees...too much fun too miss without the Cabrio. I'll get another job damn it!!!
  • foxysoxfoxysox Member Posts: 7
    hey all! foxysox here...remember me, i have the Reflex Silver 02 GLX??? anywho...coco is still my baby...so far so good...lotsa 'wheel dust' on front rims?? german thing? air conditioning made a funny whhhiiirrr noise if i turned the AC button or rather pushed it in b 4 i turned the nob to 0 but it only did it for the first few times i had the air on....took it in, and they couldnt find anything,,said to bring it back if it did it again and it never did.... VW sent me a care package, i have yet to shampoo the top... wash her every sunday....i still love her and STILL get lotsa lotsa attention! I am a licensed cosmetologist and my clients all want to come out after they get their hair done and check her out...they tell me its such a "YOU" car... i am guessing they mean 'little and cute'???hahaha...the car is perfect for me, since i am only 5 feet tall and petite, it fits me nicely...i cruise everywhere with the top down! the mp3/cd player my husband put in for me is great! i have no regrets about getting her and am still amazed sometimes when i walk out of somewhere that she is REALLY mine! anyway, hope you all love your cabrios too...coco is a part of our family now! good luck...foxysox....
  • princess786princess786 Member Posts: 3
    hello-about 2 months ago i test drove the jetta 1.8t and loved it!I am turning 17 in January, so this will be my first car.I liked the jetta because it had the power, but I also think the Cabrio is cute-I would get the GLX in black =).I want to take a test drive in the Cabrio first of course.I hope it feels like it has more then 115 hp because it's so cute!My neighbor has the 01 gl and she zips around in it so i guess we'll see.can anyone tell me anything about it?? thanks!!
    Dear Sisters and Brothers of the Cabrio,

My 2001 Desert Wind GLS (manual) is everything I dreamed she should be. We are having way too much fun together. Yesterday's seven hour trip home (topless under mostly sunny skies) from a wedding was hardly as dreadful as what all of my hard-top friends had to endure. I'm with you, Foxy Sox- when I see her parked outside I always smile and I still can't believe she's mine. (I'm also just above five feet tall- and I agree that she is very petite friendly!) My boyfriend even loves to drive her. My only complaints are about the massive amount of sunscreen I go through and the defrost system (and not to mention when it rains and the top HAS to stay up). Does anyone else find themselves scrambling around to make the windows de-fog? I bet with a little more time, I'll figure out what works best- so far I've been blasting the heat for a few seconds.

Anyone slightly interested in this car should buy one. Within this past month a co-worker of mine bought a 2002 cabrio due to my convincing!!! You'll never be in a bad mood with the top down, believe me!

enjoy!
    gl1
  • sillyg13sillyg13 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't seen this here yet, but a friend on mine has a Jetta and has had the exact same problem. The rubber strip of molding on the driver's side door came loose and flew off driving down the highway. Has anyone else had problems with this on their Cabrio? I haven't gotten a chance to call the dealer about getting it replaced, though. Any ideas on the cost of replacing this and how to make sure it won't happen again?
  • glewweglewwe Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Well, I was afraid of this- the pulling-apart seam that was 'just a cosmetic thing' (why I thought that sounded reasonable when I purchased my car- which I love, by the way- I have no idea) has finally turned into a full-blown hole on the seam. It's just now moving past ugly and slightly embarassing to potentially a real problem. I have a 97 cabrio- has anyone had to replace their top and have any words of advice? I have been quoted $1000 for top/labor. Once I got over the sticker shock, I figured that was pretty standard. Thoughts?

Thank you!

Molly
  • foxysoxfoxysox Member Posts: 7
    yeah, i found myself inthe same predicament the other day. It had rained BAD and I come out all ready to zip off in coco...and low and behold, I cant even pullout! the windows were so fogged up, i felt like someone had put a smog machine under one of myseats! i rolled one window down, the passenger, then i blasted and i do mean BLASTED the heat for like 3 minutes! poor coco, she was imobile! so we took that time and sat there and listened to a little Portishead, kinda rainy day music anyway, and after a few mintues i was on the road and once again the envy of all the other female drivers who passed by wishing THEY had a cabrio! *one good thing, i did get to use my awesome looking fog lights since it was all murky out!*....hey, when you own a cabrio, you ALWAYS find something good about any driving situation!
    and for Princess 786, there are lotsa lotsa really good and bad posts on this board alone, simply scroll thru, i think after driving one, with top up OR down,, you'll be impressed....dont ask me, cuz i am so biased, i have vowed that I will never own another hard top car...i told my hubby, "i will always have a convertible" so hopefully they will have that jetta coupe hardtop convertible out by the time i am ready to retire coco....but that s a few years away.;...!!!!
    keep on keepin on!
    foxy
    The manual for my 2000 cabrio tells me to close all air vents when I turn on the defroster. Since I've followed the instructions I have not had a problem. Check your manual!
  • aer007aer007 Member Posts: 1
    Please read the following complaint against VW to explain this recall/lawsuit:

To all 98 Cabrio Owners with a "light colored/creme or white top":
    Myself, as well as 4 other owners of this year/color convertible top,
    were recently interviewed last Friday by a TV reporter for a consumer
    action show. The vinyl tops on our cars are defective, VW is aware
    of the problem, and we are fighting the corporation to get 100% free
    replacement of these disintegrating tops. VW is currently only
    offering a 50% reimbursement for replacement and claim that it was
    covered under the two year warranty. It might have been covered, but
    I took my car in before that time and they were unaware of the exact
    problem and not suggesting that it was a "warranty issue". If you or
    anyone else knows of anyone with this light color top, 98 model,
    where orange and black marks are developing (along with ripping and
    tearing, please email me at acrutchfield@exponent.com. There is a
    good chance that we will win this fight over VW to get a full
    replacement since they used a vendor and sold us a defective
    product. If you want to join the growing list, please email me.
    Thanks. Anne

My email is acrutchfield@exponent.com
    Genuine VW model #1J6035111 (REGULAR $350)
    PLUS 6 CD Changer Magazine (REGULAR $27.65)

I am selling both above plus mounting bracket,cable,and hardware for $250.(ship included)

Guaranteed in like-new condition <<<<<<

E-mail Cheryl @ > realizetrue.com
    just turn on the A/C for a few minutes which will take all of the moisture off windows... :)
  • alanna1122alanna1122 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I am so happy to have found this discussion group to exchange information about my Cabrio and to just gush. I am so in love with my car. I bought it last September and have had really good luck with it so far. I drive a lot and it really takes the curse off of my 60 mile roundtrip daily commute. Only 10 months old and I'm pushing 12K. I have had really good luck with the dealers here in Massachusetts that i have been to. I bought it in Brookline and had just the best experience. I wish it wasnt so hard to get to because id love to have it serviced there regularly. But my other dealer (in Amesbury) where i have gone has been great. I have had only one unexpected problem... one week after my 10k check up my water pump broke and i had to get it replaced... but it was done really quickly and still under warranty so... no biggie. Just out of curiousity i was wondering if other people had their water pumps go at an early age...

Other than that...I also have to say that i have that same experience, almost daily... when i approach my car from a distance... i think ... my God... is that really mine? its SO unbearably cute! Happiness is my cabrio!
    Hey Cabrio Family!

Alanna1122- I just wanted to commend you on your cabrio-induced enthusiasm. I can tell that you're my type of person by your love for the cabrio. The blue is such a pretty color- definitely my next choice (mine's a 2001 Desert Wind GLS). Coming up soon my CabRIO-driver friend and I are hosting a dueling cabrio day trip- two cabrios filled with 8 eight girls looking for trouble. Should be fun.

I wanted to report that ever since I wrote about my defroster problems, I have not since been in a foggy situation- not that I've had the occasion to try any of y'all tricks, it's just that it hasn't rained all that much here. Nevertheless it's good to know that I'm prepped for the worst. Thanks!

I also wanted to report one small annoyance: one day I turned on my radio to find out the safety feature had clicked on (for no apparent reason) and the system was locked and read "SAFE". I followed the manual's instruction and entered in my secret code, but to no avail. I called my nearest dealership for assistance and the earliest appointment they offered me is at the end of next week. Are there any vw stereo smarty-pants out there who might know what can be done to get me cruising with tunes again?

Happy trails to all!
    Greetings,
    My e-mai address is :

RealizeTrue@aol.com
  • rusberlinrusberlin Member Posts: 1
    I own a 97 Cabrio with the tan/grey top. Over the past two years the top became sticky, then black and orange discolorations started to appear. What I first thought was dirt and mildew is actual the vinyl breaking down - and there is no way to stop the process. Next, the roof became hard and brittle and started to rip all over. I've read posts on PlanetFeedback and Yahoo Groups of many other Cabrio owners with the same problem. However, VW claims there is no widespread problem. I've contacted the member who posted at #127, and this group of owners is already at 21 people from all over the country. If that isn't widespread, I don't know what is. If your top is disintegrating at such a young age, you need to get in touch with this group!
    i am looking for a four seat convertible, and I am a VW owner (Jetta Turbo) now. I can't find ANY 5 speed Cabrio's anywhere (2002).

I drove an automatic 2002 GLS on a 100 degree day. It was SLOW. I felt like I had to force it to downshift. Is that normal? Or does the fact that it was so hot, and I had the A/C blowing, have anything to do with it?

I really like the style. And yes, I am a MALE ;)
    I have a 2000 automatic cabrio. I think it's a matter of what you were use to when it comes to power. Before this I had a 1986 Toyota 4Runner 4 cylinder so this is a big improvement. I haven't had any trouble with lack of power. I just went from LA to San Diego on Friday. I was averaging 75-80 miles a hour with no problem (except looking for CHIPS). When I go over 85, I can hear the difference in the engine (which is good because that would really be a high ticket). I was told when I bought it that the automatic would adjust to my driving style. The biggest dealer for cabrios in the L.A. area is Santa Monica. They told me that they sold the most cabrios in the nation. If you are in the area, you might want to check with them for a stick.
    i am on the other coast (dc). i have driven slow cars before. i think you are right - it matter what you have before you get the Cabrio.

i would think i wouldn't notice the difference after a day or two of driving.

no sticks are being made, from what i understand.
    Are you sure there are no sticks being made? I just tried the VW web site and the default is stick. There is an additional charge for automatic. You might want to call the VW 800 number to verify what the dealers tell you. I found that the dealers would tell me anything that would sell the cars in their inventory.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    They did restrict 02 Cabrio 5-speed production, and I have heard rumors that the last ones being made only have the automatic since its the most popular combo by far. However, my local dealer in Tallahassee, Florida, had a white GLS 5-speed back in February so some were made. Try extending your search to south Florida as that is a popular market for the Cabrio; you could make the buying process into a fun vacation. That said, I think the auto Cabrio has plenty of power for around town driving up to about 60mph (I didn't notice much of a difference in power over my 92 Miata with a 5speed as long as the revs were kept below 3500). After that point, I would imagine it runs ouf of steam quickly. Compared to your turbo Jetta, it will feel like a diesel. The joy of open air cruising often times can make you forget all about horsepower though :)
    i have heard those rumors too. thanks for the info.

i also hear that 2002 is the last year, but some say 2003 still has the Cabrio on the docket. i don't mean the Bettle Cab - but the regular one.
  • shiphroshiphro Member Posts: 62
    My wife and I got a 2002 Green/Beige/Beige 5-Speed Cabrio GLX last October.

The purchase....

We went to the closest dealer (North Penn VW in Pennsylvania) and talked to them about the Cabrio. They agreed to order one for us (Blue/Grey interior). We waited a couple weeks and then went to go pick it up. It was the wrong car. This one had a black interior which we thought was a bad idea for a convertible (scorched buns and all)

Plus, they were jerks about the whole thing.

We then went to Holbert's VW/Audi/Porsche. It was a little further away but the service was incredible. Our salesman got a printout of every Cabrio coming into the area and the details. We chose the one we wanted and drove it away a couple weeks later.

The driveability (Fahrfegnugen?)....

I drive (abuse?) a '95 200SX SE-R which I think has a decent amount of power and handles great. I was concerned that the Cabrio would be lacking from a driveability standpoint.

It's not.

The engine is small... but with the 5-speed I can rev it up to get moving quickly.

The suspension is amazing on this car. There is a lot of body roll, but the wheels stay down. It takes bumps/manholes/potholes without a hiccup.

The brakes are better than amazing. The rotors are huge on this tiny little car. This car stops better than anything else I've driven including Maximas, Aleros, Mustangs and my 200SX.

The overall build is incredible. Everything is solid and the overall engineering is very thorough. The car is well thought-out and well-built.

Now the maintenance....

We've already had to replace the top once.

My wife was using the power-washer at the local car wash and it damaged the cloth top. There was a patch below the rear window where the fibers were all bunched-up and deformed. After some conversations with the owner of the car wash and our contact at Holbert's VW the top was replaced free of charge. That's nearly $2000 in parts and labor that didn't cost us a dime.

Other than that, the car has about 8k miles on it and we've had no mechanical/electrical problems.

The wheels show a lot of brake dust, but that's a common drawback of high-performance brakes. The heated seats have allowed us to ride around with the top down on fall/spring days where it would've been too cold otherwise.

The stereo is fantastic. Even blasting along at 80mph it cranks up loud without distortion.

Advice......

Don't power wash the top.
  • whtcab97whtcab97 Member Posts: 5
    Production of all cabrio's ceased this past spring,5 speeds ended last fall.The cabrio is to be replaced by the beatle cabrio this fall.
    Granted it is all about what you're used to, but I find that my '01 5-speed cabrio has plenty of pick-up. However, my friend with a '02 automatic does not feel the same way- but that might be a break-in issue. I originally wanted to buy a '02, but I ran into the same problem you are facing- brand new 5-speeds were non-existent, or only available in colors that I didn't like. My advice is to stick to your research and don't settle for an automatic- you'll probably regret it. Would you consider a pre-owned? I got mine for Edmund's True Market Value- and it had less than 4,000 miles on it- and I couldn't be happier. Good luck- and please let us know what you end up with.
    Get your deeply discounted like-new genuine VW
    CD Changer with all accessories included from me
    for $250 (including ship)

Satisfaction Guaranteed or $ back <<<<<<

realizetrue@aol.com
    I am used to driving a 5 speed 318I BMW ('91) so when I made the decision to buy the Cabrio...the car I have always wanted I looked everywhere is So. CA for a 5 speed-Silver/Grey top....there was not one dealer that had one...so I test drove the automatic probably 10 times....and I still wasn't sure...after a lot of thought and deliberation I decided to take the plunge and do it! I bought the automatic...and I love it....it definitely has pick-up once you break it in....and with living in So. CA (San Diego area)...traffic is soooo bad here these days that I am glad I got the automatic....once you break it in the car moves...Good Luck :)
  • wdubswdubs Member Posts: 27
    My wife has a dessert wind 2001 Cabrio GLX 5sp. Since the cupholders suck, she uses the handle under the front seat to hold a bottle of water. Just stick the bottle between the seat and the handle and it works great.

BTW we've put over 30,000 miles on it and it's been great. We have had 3 minor problems all covered under warranty. A bad sensor caused the engine light to come on, the seal around the driver's side window was deformed, and the muffler separated from the exhaust pipe. They fixed the exhaust even the it was 1,000 miles out of warranty. I'm glad they did because we only had the car for 1 year at that point.
    i know they are not being made anymore. i MIGHT wait until winter, and pick up a new-used 2002 GLS for cheap :) hopefully, there will be one or two on the market at that point.

anyone here had any oil consumption issues? i have a VW turbo, no probs at all, but i understand the 2.0 has some people upset.

thoughts?

i saw a bright red GLX with black leather and black top the other day. BEAUTIFUL car.
  • adaveyadavey Member Posts: 30
    ...since the cabrio has been axed after this year, does this mean there will be no more additions to this topic?
  • victorfslvictorfsl Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a used 19991/2 Cabrio 5 speed.

Great little car runs great plenty of power but one annoyance...when car is warmed up there is a skip in the engine at idle.
    Mechanic changed wires, plugs, distributor, filters and cleaned throttle plate....skip still there, mechanic says not valves so live with it!! anyone else experienced this? If so what was resolution?
  • clafondclafond Member Posts: 1
    Hi all!!
    this is my first time here but i think i might get some answers. i currently own a 98 passat ( which i love!) but am looking at purchasing a used 92 vw cabriolet from a private party. i'm trying to do some research on the car but i'm not finding much of any.
    what is the difference and how can you tell between the std style and the carat, and does anyone know about this year such as rating or any kind of problems? i've been looking for the last couple of days on the computer and at the library but i'm not able to turn up anything.
    it's a gorgeous car and runs great with 106,000 miles on it.
    please help with any info you might have!!!!
    thanks