Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM ENGINE KNOCK

Comments

• sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    LOL
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    You guys/gals are killing me, ya know the pain that comes in the side from laughing so much, damn I'm gonna have to call my firehouse to get the ambulance to administer first aid for toooooooo much laughter, once I crawl to the phone.ROFLMAO. The only thing GM can't take from us is the laughter we get from bashing them......or are they working on that "fix" also.LOL

Sonja... fishing in Alexandria Bay ey, I'll wave as we cross over the Thoasand Island Bridge in July and August for our annual trips to Ontario. LOL! Wonder if the truck will get searched this year at the Canadian border crossing like 2 years ago, I think the border patrol just wanted to look at my Rado in envy, I didn't have the heart to tell him about the knocking, yet!
    I knew I was in for trouble when he grabbed the road flare from under my seat and asked me what it was...........they don't respond kindly to jokes. LOL

Ray T.
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    isn't it, that two of the most vocal and frequent posters to this topic are Toyota owners.

Plutonious....The one point that anyone can make about the knocking GM engines that I totally agree with is the possible effect on resale value. That is a valid claim by anyone owning a "knocker" from any manufacturer.

Bamatundra...I consider your name calling and worthless blabber offensive. If you can't address me by my name, I would suggest you not address me at all. You have called me and others liars and our host does nothing about it, so I will go back to ignoring you like everyone else does.
    Tom
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    Lol .... hey maybe they heard the knocking from under the hood and thought you had someone bound and gagged in there ... reasonable cause to search right.

Bamm there's nothing like a nice pair of knockers lol.

Funny thing in here is this topic is cranking out the posts, and NomoreGM isn't even here !!! lol.
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    Lol ... PF just has to support the cause ya know.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Isn't it that the most vocal defenders of knocking GMs is supposed GM owners. Heck - Tommyboy even clains to own a knocker. Why would they care if potential buyers are made aware of this ugly problem that GM refuses to address?

Tommyboy - This problem has nothing to do with Toyotas. This is a GM engine knock topic. You can try to divert attention away from this painful topic - but the fact remains GM's knock and GM refuses to repair them.

Now, I predict the GM zealots are going to do some more Toyota bashing to try to divert attention away from the topic. Why? I don't know - I have never posted anything about Toyotas in this topic except in response to angry, unfortunate GM owners such as Tommyboy.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    "that two of the most vocal and frequent posters to this topic are Toyota owners."

Actually, I post here very infrequently. The most vocal poster here is nomoregm, a GMC knocker owner you can't get along with either.

Seems you can't relate very well with others, Toyota or GMC owners, if their views differ from yours...
    with "nomoregm". I did not enjoy being accused of being a GM company troll just because I disagreed with him. He may have the worst knocker GM ever built. If so, he deserves to be fairly compensated. Hopefully, that will be the outcome of his BBB claim. I strongly disagree with anyone who claims a large percentage or all GM engines are this way.

As to your statement..."Seems you can't relate very well with others, Toyota or GMC owners, if their views differ from yours... " I will say that I don't have a problem with anyone who disagrees with me as long as they are mature enough to do so without name calling and personal attacks.
    Why do you lower yourself so?
    Tom
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Poster - Total

NoMoreGM - 29
    Spama - 11
    Sonjaab - 11
    La_Emt - 9
    Rayt - 7
    Ryanbab - 6
    KG11 - 5
    Pluto - 4
    TomH - 4
    Houdini - 3
    Jaguar - 1
    Obyone - 1
    Whatsachevy - 1
    Burnsom - 1
    Eselich - 1
    JaiJay - 1
    AllChevy - 1
    PF_Flyer - 1
    quadrunner500 - 1

As for the posters, if you felt it, you dealt it!
    At whopping 38 contributions from sludgerundra owners or wannabees, and 29 from one anti GM troll.

Tell us about your knockers! LOL!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    how is it that the BBB can assist in anything? File a complaint, yes. Pursue buyback, think not. If you have a legitimate complaint with proof to support it, I wouldn't be wasting my time posting, but put forth the effort for a quick resolution.

Obviously the knocking engine itself has not been accepted as a proof source. My question is....what would be accepted as a proof source? Oil analysis? Shouldn't that be something to pursue? To rant about GM serves no useful purpose. Solutions are needed for those who have knocking engines and of those that do, I haven't seen one useful suggestion so far and only bashes against GM which gets no one anywhere fast.

tomh12

You're correct in the assumption that Bama is best ignored. His name calling is old stuff. Let's just call him the resident troll. Pluto on the other hand has serious issues. Obviously Toyota has ignored him and his one star side impact rated truck causing him a great deal of frustration which he likes to share with anyone willing to read his posts. If you can understand that, then accepting Pluto for having to drive a truck where serious injury in case of side impact isn't that hard to do. Imagine for a moment if you had to deal with that amount of stress each and everytime you entered your vehicle knowing your chances of serious injury from being tboned. I know I couldn't live with such thoughts and give Pluto credit for doing so whatever his reasons may be.

I expect to get flamed for this post. It is obvious Bama will retaliate and so will Pluto. Isn't it amazing how predictable people are.
    You make an awful lot of assumptions without knowing the facts. I'm hardly stressed about getting t-boned. My truck spends 90% of the time off-road on ranches.

The IIHS and NHTSA rated my truck safer than the S-10. Your never-ending nonsense about the Tacoma being a deathtrap is simply a distortion of the truth. Go ahead and post your "one side impact rating" till kingdome come if it makes you feel better - I couldn't care less!

By the way, your Silverado placed 3d out of 4 full-size trucks for safety according to the IIHS. My Tacoma placed 1st. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

As for having serious issues: I couldn't even begin to imagine what it must be like being dumb enough to take delivery of a truck that wasn't what I ordered. What's that like anyway, obyone???
  • nomoregmnomoregm Member Posts: 158
    Oby, who's got a 1999 Camaro? Mine's a 2001 (loaded SS, 30K clams). I disagree with you about not finding anything useful here. Some very intelligent people visit here, some of whom I consider to be my internet buddies--even you! BTW, Where've you been hiding. Thought you might have got hit by a falling tree! (as in the lumberjack @ TTAWWITB)
    It sure would be interesting to get the entire scoop on obyone and his three (3!) problematic Chevys. But it's all smoke and mirrors, half-truths, ommitted information and good 'ole fashioned BS when it comes to this guy.

His post #529 in the GM engine knock thread "kind of" describes what problems he's had. I urge you to read it before he deletes it. He stated that his truck barely vibrated and it was unnoticeable by others, yet in his user profile his dream car is a "vibrationless Silverado." Sounds like his truck had the shakes and he won't admit it.

Furthermore, before his post #529, he stated that his notorious 4-month-in-the-shop-Lemonado was perfectly fine except for a faulty paint job. I called him to the carpet and asked him why GM would give him an upgraded power-train warranty after fixing a bad paint job but - SURPRISE! - no reply, only more "one star impact rating" nonsense. Sound familiar? No mention of a bad paint job in #529 or that his truck spent a whopping 4 months in the shop. Fixing what, we'll probably never know.

Basically, what he admits to is being dumb enough to take delivery on a vehicle that wasn't what he ordered. He returned it, purchased a 2000 model but took it to the dealer for every conceivable problem to build a case for himself in the event his 2000 model was as bad as the 1999s. He clearly stated in #529 the 2000 models had a lot of the same problems the 1999s did (and we all know how that truck did in the long term reviews!). But in our Toyota threads, he has nothing but good things to say about them while he fervently criticizes Toyota trucks. I guess this is the notorious Lemonado (the 2000?) that spent 4 months in the shop? Then he also admitted to having a Denali that knocks.

I'd love to talk to the folks at his Chevy dealership. I bet he has the same reputation there as he does here - that of an annoying whiner who has alterior motives and too much play time.

After knowing only this portion of the elusive entire truth, I find myself asking "Who the hell has the time to be bothered with all this? Ordering trucks, returning them, pestering dealer service departments to the point of creating 2" thick service files, losing the truck for 4 months for repairs to get an extended warranty, and then buying a $50K Denali yuppie-ute that knocks."

Tell you what, WORKING men who depend on their trucks sure wouldn't have the time to deal with this garbage. I doubt obyone has time to work his "full-size" Lemonado. This is one situation where the truth would be far more wild and interesting than any of us could probably imagine.
    I never used the word troll on you but I did imply that you had a GM sort-of connection. I believe you. I've moved you out of my top-3 most-likely GM undercover operatives here at Edmunds. I still smell a rat in the woodpile. I think it might be that Toyota pain-in-the-[non-permissible content removed], aka, tundrapollutions.

KG11, where is Bama's top-ten list? I must have missed that.
    Tell us what you really think! BTW, Oby does not own a knocker. He leases it. He takes solace in the fact that GM is still the proud owner. It may be the roach-coach he delivers coffee to the dealerships in.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    The best troll didn't post a top 10.Your king beat your's with just one."we have the biggest knockers" and now again today with the "pair of knockers"

kip
    It's so eaaasy to get the trolls out of the wood work don't ya think. And to do so with such predictability. OMG, this is soooo funny. I must have hit the nail on the head with Pluto. What yall think?

Nomoregm, sorry bout that. Don't know why I thought it was a '99. Hmmm come to think about it ...do they have '99's that knock? I always liked the Z28. Just a little too cramped on the passenger floor and something about the vette that held me back from buying a Z.
    I just noticed something. Even our gracious host, Pf Flyer, is flaunting Japanese (Subaru) automobiles in here (post 735). Ryan, that just "takes the cake". Funny, Subaru fixed their knockers. I guess that must be the connection. Thanks PF. Even the host gets his licks in on Gip'M. I'll bet they're getting some big bucks for that add too--LOL. GM must be posting their adds over at the Toyota Paint-chip site.
    You're trying to hurt me. There is no other top-ten. Boohoo. Here, let me give you some of my kleenex so you can wipe Bama's S#!+ off your kisser.
    I think it started in 1998 but I've heard of some 97's that make quite a racket also. Check out the listing at LS1.com's petition for a sample. Mostly 350's there from 98 to 2002, however.
    By teaming up with the biggest troll YOU become HIS puppet.He's laughing at EVERYONE who EVER bought a GM even though Toyota don't make REAL full sized trucks.(Or is it BECAUSE they don't)Reguardless,He's your friend BECAUSE YOU KISS HIS AXE.

kip

BTW I'm glad you noticed that PF is a Toyota troll too.
    Plato said:

"Small men think of personalities,
    Mediocre men think of events,
    Great men think of ideas."

Do you have any?
    Why don't the GMC guys take their trucks to a good plastic surgeon and get their knockers fixed???
    For the first time in the history of Edmunds Town Hall, obyone failed to use the words "pluto" and "one star impact rating" in the same post!

Hooray!!! Congratulations on the new line!
    You nailed it. Just like a bee hive...

Quadrunner...Thanks for the summary. Even more true than I thought.

nomoregm....Whew!...sure am glad to be off THAT list...LOL. You just hit HARD on the first lick. A fellow has to work hard to recover from that! I was surprised to see you survive the lick you laid on old PF...he he he.
    Tom
    Your sabre rattling here will get you NOTHING from GM.There are several things you can do and I think have done/are doing that can help.Many of your posts are funny but what can you offer to help US get satisfaction from the company that won't honor it's obligation to us?Ridiculing GM owners(like the troll)don't quiet my engine.For $36k I own a very nice truck that sounds like a diesel ,but isn't.I don't want an undersized truck I want MY truck to sound like a $36k truck.

kip
    Again, has anyone heard that GM revised its oil-consumption guidelines for the second time in recent months. It was 1 quart per 2000 miles. They now say 1 quart per 100 gallons of gas consumed. I can't find it in a TSB or any other place. Have you?
    I too have read that somewhere in the past 12 months. I do think it was sometime last year. I have searched everywhere to find it since you first mentioned it and cannot. I do not think it was a TSB. Seems like it might have been someone reporting what GM representative said when they met for BBB or arbitration.
    Tom
    Only found this one:

Engine - Knocking Sound On Cold Start

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 01-06-01-028

Date: December, 2001

INFORMATION

Subject:
    Engine Knock on Cold Start

Models:
    1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup and Utility Models
    2002 Cadillac Escalade (2WD)
    with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINS V, T, U - RPOs LR4, LM7, L04)

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit an engine knock noise that begins in the first 19,000-24,000 km (12,000-15,000 mi) of use. The knock noise is most often noticed during initial start-up and typically disappears within the first 5-30 seconds (may last longer in extreme cold temperatures). The noise is usually more noticeable on the initial start-up when the temperature is below 10°C (50°F) and may be more pronounced on the first cold start following a long trip. This noise may be caused by an interaction between carbon that has formed on the piston, the piston motion and the cylinder wall. GM Powertrain Engineering, and an analysis of engines with this condition, has confirmed that the noise is not detrimental to the performance, reliability or durability of the engine.

THIS NOISE DOES NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE LONGEVITY OF ANY OF THE ENGINE COMPONENTS.

Important : At this time, attempts to repair this condition by replacing the engine assembly or pistons is not recommended.

Please share the information found in this bulletin with customers who inquire about this condition. In the event they have additional questions or concerns, please advise your Area Service Manager.

Woohoo, you just gotta love this one.
    I was told 1 qt per 2k when I first complained of oil consumption.My reply: I'm using 1 qt per 1,000 mi (at 3k) They did a test that consisted of checking the level and milage and had me bring it back 1,000 mi later.The result,just under 1 qt at which time I was told "There's a new TSB and 1 qt per 1,000 mi is normal".When I was having the trans replaced for the second time,the shop forman told me that a qt per TANK OF GAS was acceptable.(to GM)My position on this is that nobody would buy a truck like this if the mfg were forced to disclose this info.(that's why you won't find a TSB)It's not acceptable for a new vehicle to burn oil at all.I don't want my money back.I want my truck to be what I paid for.Nothing else is acceptable.

kip
    But you know those GM creeps are watching. Not only the hard-working rank and file, but the corporate bullies. And if Subaru is placing adds on this site, they're watching. I wasn't slamming PF. He's likely not making the advertising decisions. He's probably on our side but must remain impartial.

Get involved. Take part in the GMPS.com initiatives. Use the power of your E-mail. Send the GMPS.com link to all of beasty-GM's competion. I do. They love it. Their addresses are right here on the web. Use your alternate e-mail address. I use my main. Screw'm. Scream out your windows that your sick of this S#!+ and you're not going to take it any more.

Let the Toyota "trolls" howl! They are right and they are helping spread the good word. Why doesn't Toyota make a full-size? I don't know, but if they did, then Gip'M could kiss the top-spot goodbye.

Guys, if your [non-permissible content removed] is on fire and you don't say anything, you might just get burned.
    That's unreal! They must give you that in writing and I would make them put it on the invoice. I know that you guys with the big trucks (over 1500) are even excluded from the 1 Qt. per 2k miles TSB. This crap must and will be exposed.

I can't believe they had the brass balls to waste your time like that!
    # 782 is right on the money,but like I said.GM OWES me what I paid for.I don't want a refund.I demand a quiet engine that don't burn oil or knock.Unfortunatly BBB seems to think these issues are "only a nuisance ,not a defect"I can build an engine like that and I expect it from any new car as well.

kip
    Did a BBB arbitrator tell you that. Did they know about the oil consumption? What independent opinions, if any did you bring to the hearing?
    Nomore,
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but GM has taken ignorance to new levels by re-establishing the criteria for excessive oil consumption to read one quart in 100 gallons of fuel consumed and will no longer honor the one quart in 2000 miles which was the previous standard.
    I have posted before that GM must make corrections if the engines exceed this new limit and that has no relationship to whatever the problem may be. In other words if your engine is using an exessive amount of oil (Under the new assinine guidelines) they must make repairs to rectify this situation be it inept cylinder to piston and ring assembly fittings or gasket and or seal malfunctions.
    I really fill confident in saying that those of you who are experiancing piston harmonics stemming from excessive clearances will soon be able to meet the oil consumption limits needed for corrective actions as set forward by GM.
    Good luck to all, I assume that I am lucky to have had such an easily correctable problem.

end of post.

That guy had no knock but was burning oil. GM replaced his head bolts and it seems to have worked for him.

Sign-up at GMPS and register your vehicle!
    like there's a lot of hatred here for Toyota trucks because they're not "full-size." But I think that hatred is misdirected, personally. People are angry that Toyota doesn't make a "full-size" so they can ditch their knockerado or whatever they may have. Is it really Toyota's responsibility to rescue these folks from their plight?

C'mon. Just because Toyota solved the problem of the small car, family car and luxury car in America doesn't mean they have to immediately step up to the plate and fix the truck problem too. Give poor hard-working Toyota a break, will you?
    Speaking of the bearer of bad news...what then happens when GMC's Knockerados begin consuming a quart of oil per 95 gallons of fuel? Or 80?

They will reestablish the criteria for excessive oil consumption to be 1 quart per 50 gallons of fuel consumed. In short, this will never end...
    Amen, let me throw out a theory. I have no information at this time to back it up. Why didn't Toyota go all-the-way when they designed the Tundra? They knew damn well what the market desired in a full size. Is it politics? Trade agreements? Who the F knows? Did the Big-3 say, "Stay out or we'll lobby your camrys and accords back to Tokyo?"

Maybe they didn't want to tool up and get caught with their pants down when the Saudis stick it to us on oil prices again.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    QUOTE: Maybe they didn't want to tool up and get caught with their pants down when the Saudis stick it to us on oil prices again

I havent heard of many tundras getting very good gas milage. For them being a smaller truck as you say you would think their MPG numbers would be much higher than they are
    In the F-150 vs. Ranger thread, we had a similar discussion. You agreed with my statement that a V6 Ranger will not get much better gas mileage than a V8 F-150. Saying that the Tundra should get better mileage is wrong. V8 or V6, 4x4, big tires, small or big equals bad gas mileage. Look at how tiny the 4.0 Wrangler is and how horrible its gas mileage is.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I didnt say it should but according to nomoregms statement about the saudis it seems to me he thinks they get much better milage when in fact they dont

I did agree with you. My moms blazer (4.3 V6) gets slightly better milage than my 5.3. I bet it gets better milage on the highway
    I'm not mad at Toy for not building a big truck.The Toys I've owned served me well and that's good enough for me.I buy what's available to fill a need and expect it to be of ACCEPTABLE quality.It don't need to be perfect.What bothers me is for someone to tell me that half a truck would be better than one that's not perfect.How can Toyota's offering be better when it isn't even in the same league?

kip
    I don't know what the actual mpgs are, I was going on net-weight estimates and assumed the Tundra might be lower, especially with the V6.

It's interesting to note that American vehicles (Levis and Hamburgers, etc) are in high demand in Japan but the Japanese, much to the chagrin of the Big-3, will only allow so many to be imported--trade restrictions. I wonder if there exists an Asian version Knock site! Oh boy....
    simply solve its knocking engine problem by having Isuzu make the engine? That's how they solved their diesel engine problem. Better yet, they could have Toyota or Honda make the engine then have the whole works assembled in Mexico to keep costs down.
    Guess we can trust them, huh? Is there a TSB on the flashlight?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Six free issues for a flashlight that burns and a tire pressure gauge that's not accurate. Seems like an equal value to me!
    Safety Administration?--That was a lawyer's web site. Think they might want to incite a group of specific types of complaints? "The complaint index is based on a ratio of the number of complaints for each vehicle to the sales of that vehicle." What the hell does that mean? I mean, I think I understand, but..hmmmmmm....

I wonder how many of those are non-safety complaints. Too bad they don't break them down. Sort of hurts their credibility a little bit when they don't go into specifics. Sounds like some soccer mom's seat belts were too tight--or their panties.

Frankly, I specifically chose not to file a complaint with NHTSA on my knock because I'm about FED-up with government bullcrap. Perhaps we all should.
This discussion has been closed.