Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander vs GMC Envoy

Comments

• jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    I didn't disregard the whole vehicle because of the cheap plastic. My point was that the Bravada is suppose to be the luxury end of the triplets. I don't think cheap plastic fits in with the idea of what luxury is suppose to be. You wouldn't find that type of thing in a rx300, ML320 or other luxury SUV. This typifies my frustration with GM.

Overall, I like the Bravada. But in Japan its probably a piece of junk considering their quality standards.

I've never said that the Envoy couldn't be a better choice for someone else. I'm sure someone who needs to tow, wants to go off-road, and isn't much concerned about long-term quality could have a great time in an Envoy. As you said, you'd rather have cheap plastic trim and more horsepower and that's your preference. I'd rather have higher quality materials and a more than capable powered engine for my needs. I didn't peg the Highlander an SUV, Toyota did. You're right, its a high-riding wagon if anything but I don't want to go down the what's an SUV road. I really don't care how it gets classified. There is much worse than the Highlander being called an SUV.

Most of the posts I've made on this topic have been to hit home the fact that Toyota has been and still is (I and others believe)a producer of quality vehicles and that the Highlander is far more likely to be of higher quality than the Envoy. Heatwave3, you don't seem to buy that point even though its been shown that many industry experts agree with my point. You seem to believe that somehow the Envoy & comapany will be different from the vehicles GM has made in the past and I don't buy that. Even more now after car-sitting the Bravada this week than before. It is clear upon entry into these vehicles that one is put together much better than the other.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    jblaze: In the end you may be right about the Toyota being higher quality. In fact if you had asked me a year ago I would have agreed with you without hesitating. I based my view of quality on a 1999 Toyota Avalon that now has 75,000 miles and has had nearly no repairs (other than some nagging radio control knobs that seems to break every 20,000 miles).

What changed my perspective was the purchase of a 2001 GMC Denali XL. After owning two previous Suburbans that seemed to need regular appointments at the dealer for service, this new GM f/s SUV has been of the same kind of quality or higher than my Toyota Avalon. I now have 16,000 miles and my only visits to the dealer have been for 5 oil changes.

I think your view of the quality of new models such as the Highlander and the Envoy are too premature. Only time will tell and my latest experience (which also needs more time to be proven) is that the Envoy will be as dependable or more so than a Toyota. Its also my opinion you get more for your money in the GMC that the Highlander. Buts that's just my view.

You appear to agree with me that its reasonable for someone to find the Envoy a better choice for their needs than a Highlander, which has been the main point I've been trying to make. The sales figures would suggest that more people have found it to suit their needs than a Highlander or RX300. That's neither good nor bad as both are good vehicles, just simply that one fits more consumer's needs than the other.
  • kfm4715kfm4715 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry if I've missed this before but does anyone know if either envoy or highlander will be availabile with third row seating? If not avail now, is it planned for 03 model?
  • jme4181jme4181 Member Posts: 1
    kfm4715-yes, the GMC Envoy will have 3rd row seating as well as the Chevrolet Trailblazer. They will be known as Envoy XL, and Trailblazer EXT, respectively. Both should hit showrooms by spring 2002 as 2003 models. Highlander will not be offering 3rd row seating (from what I hear), but I have a funny feeling the 2003 Toyota 4Runner will offer it when it gets remaked for the new year. Happy motoring to you!
  • kfm4715kfm4715 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your post. Found some information on the EnvoyXL today. Looks like a good competitor for the MDX. Hopefully, the XL will be more readily available. Thanks again.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    The Envoy doesn't stand up to the Highlander at all. I rent alot of cars and have rented the Envoy. Its not even in the same class with the Highlander. Definately go for the HL.
  • fanman8fanman8 Member Posts: 65
    Heatwave reminds me of a guy I new that had a Chrysler Van that had smoke billowing out of the tailpipe after 30,000 miles. Squeak, rattles, and the thump of the transmission were common in my friends Van. He had a heck of a lemon in my eyes. So I ran in to him the other day and what do ya think he's just purchased new? You guessed it, another Chrysler Van. I guess he must think they came along way too.

Heatwave, you said you only had that 2001 Dinali XL in for 5 oil changes but didn't you also have a problem with cold air coming into the driver and passernger floor area? I seem to remember you havingair leaking into the cabin around some sort of vent. I'm not sure but I think the dealer used some sort of epoxy or silly putty to fix that for you while you brought it in for one of those oil changes. Does buying a vehicle with past quality issues not tell you something? I guess all of those loyal GM fans like you and my Chryler Van buddy share some things in common.
    fanman: nice elaboration but more fantasy than reality. During two of the 5 oil changes, I also had the following adjustments made. My steering wheel was off-center by about 1-2 inches and the dealer aligned the front wheels during the second oil change. Occassionally, the rear "cargo door ajar" light would come on, which was a 1/4 inch adjustment made on the rear latch that was needed due to stiff new seals around the rear door. This adjustment was also made during the second oil change.

My wife felt some cold air on the front passenger side and on the third oil change the dealer simply tightened the screws on the air mixer box which had a slight gap due to a screw being loose. Fixed in less than five minutes during the oil change. No epoxy and no silly putty.

By my standards this would be an excellent record for any vehicle, now 1 year old with 16K miles on it and no required fixes since those adjustments on the 2nd and 3rd oil changes.

I'm not sure if that would equate to having any similarities with your Chrysler friend. BTW do you think you could share an honest appraisal of all the service required on your Sequoia or should I go look it up?
  • spdmtr5spdmtr5 Member Posts: 111
    If you want a rebodied Camray;buy the HL.If you want real 4wd,towing ability and a basic truck frame--the TB is the answer.
    Be careful what you call real 4wd. The "real" 4wd I had in my Blazer would barely allow me to turn corners. If thats what real is I don't want it. Last I recall, you can tow with a HL. Not as much as as an Envoy or TB but enough for most of us.

Heatwave3: I still don't agree with your interpretation of sales numbers...Oh well.
    I'm judging the quality issue on first impressions and reputation. The manner in which the vehicles are put together is a predictor. If you get in a HL and try to put a fingernail in the crevices of the dashboard you are going to have a hard time finding a spot where you can do that. You would not have any trouble doing that in an Envoy. How tight these vehicles are put together will translate into squeeks and rattles as time passes.
  • spdmtr5spdmtr5 Member Posts: 111
    You must have been using your 4wd on dry pavement;it's not designed for that,only limited traction situations.The TB has real 4wd plus a 4awd that will operate when traction conditions vary.Can the HL pull 6000 lbs?
  • jmerbrick80jmerbrick80 Member Posts: 1
    spdmtr5- It would be nice if the HL could tow 6000 lbs, but unfortunately, it doesn't. I would go w/ the TB or Envoy for towing, HL for general use. TB/Envoy can tow up to 6500-6700 lbs. properly equipped.
  • fanman8fanman8 Member Posts: 65
    I guess GM has been looking seriously at and using some of Toyota's winning ideas. Body design for one is apparent in the new triplets and IMO has been borrowed from Toyota. This is not a bad thing. They actually look great now compared to the previous uninspired looking body styles of the past. I think G.M. may be learning something after all. Now, if they could just up the fit and finish and overall quality of their products they would actually have a package worthy of import competition. Whether those quality issues are merely perceived or not most folks would aggree that Toyota, Nissan, Honda, and Lexus are regarded in the automotive industry as the leaders and benchmarks in quality, fit and finish. And, while G.M. appears to have raised their level of quality in recent years the perception of most people as well as myself is that they still have a lot of catching up to do.

Just because GM sales stats are robust does not mean that people are buying Envoys and Trailblazers because they are the best in fit and finish. Rather, it would appear that towing ablity and other truck like qualities favor those folks while Highlanders (car like) ride and handeling favor others.
    I could care less about how much a HL pulls. 3000-3500 is plenty for me, as if I'll ever tow anything anyway. As far as I'm concerned, it could have a towing rating of 0. I'd bet my HL that the percentage of people who bought an Envoy that are going to pull 6000+ lbs. is very low. Most of the people I know (or have seen)who tow have large pickups or suburbans or something similar.

spdmtr5: I was using the 4wd in varying conditions.

fanman8: I couldn't agree more.
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    The Bravada over the Envoy was a no-brainer for me as well. The only thing the Envoy has over the Bravada is with the Autotrac 4wd, they have a lo range which makes it a better off-road vehicle. Personally, I have no need for the lo-range because I don't plan on doing any rock climbing, etc. I might take an occasional jaunt off-road over some semi-rough terrain, but not enough to need the low range torque. The Bravada definitely has more solid body panels, nicer wheels and tires, more elegant looks, and better quality leather interior! Not to take anything away from the Envoy. It is also a great vehicle, but if everything I mentioned prior didn't get you, how could you pass on the free extended warranty? I must admit that I too was a skeptic of GM quality reputation, because of shady past vehicles. In fact, I more or less went over every inch of my new Bravada before I bought it... I didn't notice any form/fit issues, everything was solidly attached. The build quality was top-notch. I would put any plastics in the Bravada against any foreign car maker and I'm sure they would at least be on par! Oh, and to answer the question "Triplet or HL"? It's obvious what I choose, but not because the HL isn't a good vehicle as well. The HL just didn't have the power, towing capacity, or ride I was looking for. Plus the interior felt a little cheesy after sitting in a Bravada.
    fanman: you state "Just because GM sales stats are robust does not mean that people are buying Envoys and Trailblazers because they are the best in fit and finish." I agree, however its important to note that I never suggested that the higher sales of the GM Triplets meant they had a better "fit and finish".

My view of the sales numbers has been clear all along. Consumers find a better value in the GM vehicles over the Toyota. People make trade-offs in all their purchasing and consumers have come to the conclusion that for the money they are spending they get more from it out of the GM products than the Toyota.

Since everyone has different criteria for "value", you might find it worth spending top dollar for interior plastic that you can't get a finger nail into, while others might find that irrelevant to them. These consumers might find that they are more interested in the total interior space, or the seat design or the radio or HP or some combination.

In the end, the only interpretation I have had of the higher GM sales figures is that consumer's find a better "buy" in the GM's than Toyota. Nothing more and nothing less.
  • tombarb3tombarb3 Member Posts: 5
    I'm 6'4' and testing both the E and HL. Legroom seems good on both although the HL seems to have less leg support. For a short test drive the E seems more comfortable, but I would guess after a long drive the HL's smoother ride might win out.
    While towing is not my concern, payload is and I'm surprised to see 1325 for HL vs 1133 for Envoy-perhaps because E is so much heavier to begin with. I'm also concerned about poor gas mileage in the E, although would expect the 800 lb lighter HL to be rated better than it is. Would like to hear some mileage feedback.
  • d2000one1d2000one1 Member Posts: 47
    tombarb3... I too am 6'4" (mostly legs) and I tested both the Envoy and the Highlander. I ended up purchasing the Envoy (fully loaded SLT 2WD, 4.10 rear end) because 1)it is a truck, 2)the ride to me was as good as the HL, 3) many more features, 4) it looks a hell of alot better, 5) salesmen who weren't snobbs, 6) better comfort.

I have the air suspension and the ride is very smooth and the seats are very comfortable on long trips. As far as gas mileage, I get about 18.5 with about 60/40 highway driving. I think this is good, especially with 270 hp (I tend to have a heavy foot)!

I can't tell you which one is best for you, but the Envoy worked best for me! I have 12,000 miles on my Envoy and still love it.

Good luck
    cmack4: I doubt you can look directly at the plastic that surrounds the radio/hvac and tell yourself that's more than 45 cent worth of plastic(being truthful). OK maybe a buck. Its like putting wheel covers on a luxury vehicle; it just doesn't work. I agree with you that the rest of the interior is luxurious. The air suspension ride is outstanding(except handling). As I said before though, it's a good vehicle overall(just get rid of the cheesy plastic). It doesn't sound like you compared your Bravada to a HL Limited with comments like cheesy interior. The difference in ride to me was that the Bravada felt floaty. The handling characteristics were much less responsive. It was obvious you were in a much heavier vehicle.
  • yordgeyordge Member Posts: 1
    I looked at the TrailBlazer and Envoy before settling on the Highlander. It fit my needs better and Toyota has a solid history of dependability. I almost bought the envoy but could not justify the total package like I could the Highlander. The complaint I do have for the Highlander is the air flow when only the back passenger windows are open, sound like a drum beating 2" from your head (very loud and annoying).

I took the family to Orlando from Maryland and no one got tired and the drive was very smooth both ways. The V6 has plenty of power and good mileage # compared to comp vehicles.

This is definitely the vehicle I was looking for power, room utility and comfort, did I mention affordable. Now if they could only quite that drum.
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    Most of what you say is fair, but I don't see what you mean about the plastic. I have the wood trim around the radio and HVAC up front. Do you mean on the rear center console, where the radio and HVAC controls are? The texture is sort of armadillo looking and not very elegant, but it's strong! My 3 year old daughter acutally was standing on the fold down rear cupholder (just below that) the other day to boost herself into her carseat and it held up, though I thought for sure she'd snap it! Oh, and regarding the "cheesy" quote...it was a Limited, I just thought it was overdone. If you look at the upscale Land Cruiser's and Sequoia's, they have a nicer blend of leather and wood. It's just an opinion, but it felt like the psuedo wood was overdone, almost like a Camry. It's probably just me, since I thought the Envoy interior was overdone as well...
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Come to a light off-road event in NJ!

http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb02-17-01/index.html

A Light off-road event in Southern New Jersey! Come enjoy the trails!

-mike

• gm_litogationgm_litogation Member Posts: 168
    The Envoy is a Truck.
    The Highlander is a Crossover.

Wanna compare a Highlander to a GM product, compare it with it's actual competition. The Buick Rendevous and Pontiac Aztek. I think you'll find that they beat the Highlander hands down.
    cmack4: Fair enough, I can understand that.

gm_litogation: I didn't think the HL was the most attractive design Toyota ever made but the Aztec & Rendevous are to of the UGLIEST vehicles GM has ever produced. I can't compare because I wouldn't even allow myself to even consider them when I went looking for my new vehicle. YUK! Hands down, they win the ugly duckling contest.
    They are the competitors and if you compare them with the HL you'll see they destroy it.
    What are you basing this destruction on?
    Yep, show me a Highlander that has as much value as the Rendevous and especially the Aztek. As far as I can tell they are about the same size, but the Rendevous and Aztek will give you far more utility. Check it out you'll see, more cargo room, more room, more inexpensive, more standard power, better gas mileage, more standard features, rebate incentives, just as quiet, no engine sludge worries, safety ratings are on par, 4 star rollover rating, look for yourself and you'll see, the list goes on and on.
  • robert_carobert_ca Member Posts: 34
    IIHS Overall Ratings:

2002 Highlander - Good

2002 Rendezvous - Average

2002 Astek - Marginal

http://www.highwaysafety.org/news_releases/2001/pr121101.htm

NHTSA Ratings:

2002 Astek

Frontal Driver ***

Frontal Passenger ****

Roolover ****

2002 Rendezvous - TBT

2002 Highlander - TBT

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2002SUVs.html

The Rendevous got 4 good's and one marginal, where as the Highlander got 3 acceptable"s and 3 goods. Let me ask you a question do you care how much you move in an accident, or do you care if you are going to get hurt?

I'll take a little movement vs. injury anyday. Oh ya and you see all that paint on the dash of the HL, that's where the dummy's knees crammed into it. Also you might wanna check out the Aztek's ratings one more time, the only reason it got a marginal is the fact that the airbag fired late. GM claims this is an isolated incident, and I would tend to believe them. The RDV's airbag fired on time, it's the same unit that is in the Aztek.

Also one other note, remember when the Aztek's test were conducted a somewhat biased media attended the demonstration. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the wonderful Dateline "investigators" rigged the test like they did with the GM Pickup. I'm sorry, but until I see the test run again with out there investigators involved, I can't accept those results.

So when I say they are on par, they are, especially considering the RDV and the Aztek come standard with side airbags. You wanna keep going with this I think you should post in the other Topic. Other than supposedly accurate test do you have anything else you would like to provide.
  • ehl3ehl3 Member Posts: 30
    I have never owned a Toyota product before, but drove the HL, Nissan Pathfinder, 2002 Explorer and Trailblazer last summer before buying a HL in a narrow decision over the Pathfinder.

Unless you are towing a boat or got one helluve a deal from GM or Ford, I cannot image why anyone would buy either of the two American products, other than sheer patriotism (for which I have done in the past, and am the proud owner of a totally unrefined SVT Cobra).

I found the level of refinement and quality to be worlds apart and the number of complaints and recall prove that out. Worse yet, wait five years and see what repairs you have made, what condition the vehicle is in and what it is still worth, before passing blind passionate judgement.

If you can't deal with the HL bland styling, do yourself a favor and drive a Pathfinder. More power, sportier design, decent build quality. If you MUST buy American, I praise your patriotism, but do yourself a favor and at least drive an Explorer that stands a chance in still having the doors attached a few years down the road.

As far as the Aztec, I'm not sure how they ever get anyone close enough to actually drive one. Our local newspaper tested a yellow one and ran the article under the headline "The Road Warrior meets Pikachu". Enough said.
    ehl3: regarding your comment "If you MUST buy American, I praise your patriotism, but do yourself a favor and at least drive an Explorer that stands a chance in still having the doors attached a few years down the road."

Did you mean with the doors still attached while it was playing turtle with all 4 wheels up or down?
    Just so you know, the Highlander was also recalled. Well sort of, it should be anyway.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/dai/2002/february/20020211_dai_toyota.xml

By the way, maybe you should ask Chevy owners about their trucks, I think you might find that they are completely reliable after 5/10 years.

That's all I'm going to say, for now, you wanna keep going lets do it, we can call it foreign vs. domestics lets see what happens. Well maybe we should just call it GM vs. foreign.

• tombarb3tombarb3 Member Posts: 5
    I'm currently shopping and was rather impressed with the HL. When I read gm_litigation comment re: Aztec and Rendevous I surfed to a photo of Aztec and nearly threw up on my keyboard. However, the Rendevous looked intriguing - test drove today, and it does indeed blow away the HL in features, comfort and overall apparent level of quality. And the price with rebate should come in well below a less-featured HL . Only concern is the reliability/resale vs the Toyota "reputation".
    I keep looking at it, spinning it around... Can't figure out what everyone is talking about, maybe I'm insane or I've been under a rock for too long. It just doesn't look bad to me, actually I'd have to go so far as to say it looks pretty cool. I don't really care what other people think, I don't own one and I'm not planning on buying one, but as far as a comparison is concerned it just aint a bad little machine.

http://www.pontiac.com/pontiacjsp/aztek/gallery_exterior.jsp

• dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    Ever seen one in person? I walked past one the other day and this girl was walking by it as well. She said, and I quote, 'ewwwwwwwwwww'. She had no idea what it was so it was a pretty unbiased initial reaction to the beast :) I had to try and explain what GM was thinking about utility and all.

I like the styling of the highlander and that of the rendezvous. And since we're on the topic, I like my friends Trailblazer (envoy)(he wants the license plate to read ‘Blazin’ and no he doesn’t smoke...do you think there's something wrong with him too?)
    I don't know at Evans they had several 01's out in the parking lot, they had a white 02'. That 02' looks pretty darn good to me. Sorry, but I will digress and agree with you about trying to see one in person. As far as I can tell there is only the one on the lot.

I see the 01's sometimes, but they aren't that bad too me. Again though the 02's are alot better.

Uh hey.. what are you talking about???

"I like the styling of the highlander and that of the rendezvous. And since we're on the topic, I like my friends Trailblazer (envoy)(he wants the license plate to read Blazin and no he doesnt smoke...do you think there's something wrong with him too?)"
    I think the rendevous is ugly too. I do think the interior is nice. Looks a bit too bloated to me. Its package seems like they were going after the MDX but its not as athletic or sporty looking. I didn't even look at those two vehicles before I purchased because they were just too darn ugly. At least the Envoy is good looking. Maybe its just me but I have to be able to like how a vehicle looks before I can even look at what else it has to offer.

tombarb3: I'm trying to understand why you would think the rendevous would "blow away" the HL in "overall apparent level of quality". By the way, that Toyota "reputation" seems to be well earned.

ehl3: I totally agree(except for the explorer part). I was sold on the pathfinder right up to the point when the Highlander came out.

gm_litogation: I've had an accident in my Highlander and I couldn't feel safer. In addition, only the parts that were hit had to be replaced. Unlike other vehicles that tend to get a horrible chain reaction of things that go wrong when they're in an accident. I won't mention any names.
    Did I ever state the Highlander was unsafe? I only stated look at the big glob of green paint on the dash. That's where in a serious accident your kneecaps would break, along with your ankles. I whole heartedly believe that all the vehicles mentioned in this debate are safe. Just a matter of personal injury is all. As long as you aren't dead that's a good thing, hey in some ways it's good to get hurt (leaves you with something to sue for).
  • ehl3ehl3 Member Posts: 30
    Note the five year residuals, from the American Lease Guide, 2wd models.

Highlander 38-39%
    Envoy 33%
    Explorer 30-31%

Food for thought for the perceived build quality, long term quality and price discussions.
  • lbthedawglbthedawg Member Posts: 48
    Heard the appropriate description of the Highlander the other day.

Friend called it a "Butch Minivan".
  • xcarnutxcarnut Member Posts: 81
    lbthedawg - Seen Aztek.? That name may belong to Aztek but on a HL.........I don't think so......
  • jmarousejmarouse Member Posts: 18
    Currently own a Pathfinder SE. Great and Reliable but ready for better gas Mileage and smoother ride.

While Pathfinder is more Stylish. I just purchased a Higlander for 300 over invoice ! Toyota is finally dealing.

Does anyone have performance numbers for Highlander V6? ( ie 0-60 , Qtr mile etc)

Just have not told my wife yet...
  • robert_carobert_ca Member Posts: 34
    Road test data from the AutoWeek Highlander review.

STANDING-START ACCELERATION
    0-30 mph: 2.99 sec
    0-40 mph: 4.47 sec
    0-50 mph: 6.34 sec
    0-60 mph: 8.56 sec
    0-100 km/h (62.1 mph): 8.99 sec
    0-80 mph: 14.88 sec
    0-quarter-mile: 83.6 mph, 16.53 sec
    ROLLING ACCELERATION
    20-40 mph (first gear): 2.7 sec
    40-60 mph (second gear): 4.6 sec
    60-80 mph (second and third gears): 6.8 sec
    BRAKING
    80 mph-0: 234 ft
    60 mph-0: 130 ft
    30 mph-0: 32 ft
    FUEL MILEAGE
    EPA combined: 19.8 mpg
    AW overall: 20.0 mpg
    HANDLING
    490-foot slalom: 39.4 mph
    Lateral acceleration
    (200-foot skidpad): 0.72 g
    INTERIOR NOISE (dBA)
    Idle: 45
    Full throttle: 66
  • tbuchtatbuchta Member Posts: 43
    Just came across this group. Own a Highlander. If you are in the market and considering the Envoy/Highlander I recommend that you review:

1. Consumer Reports Magazine, besides JD Power they have a record of unbiased evaluations over 20 years plus...If you are wondering about the Motor Trend "suv of the year" award, count the # of full page GM adds in the magazine compared to Toyota and the fact that there is lot more GM readers/subscribers than Toyota will ever be able to match.

2. The NHTSA and other safety testing organizations.

3. Edmunds own review of these two vehicles (go to the Highlander and Envoy e-groups and look in the left hand column...

4. Browse through the two e-groups and look at what people who have actually bought these vehicles are saying....

The difference is overwhelming, what I see is that if you value overall quality of engineering and materials you will buy the HL. If you tow heavy trailers, or like gadgets over vehicle quality, the Envoy is for you.
    tbuchta: you should have added another reason for getting the Envoy. If you want value for your buck instead of unmeasureable "quality" hype by the Envoy. You get years more use of both the Envoy and the money you save over the wannabe suv Highlander.
    Agreed the car magazines are going to pick the Highlander over the Envoy, it's a car the other is a Truck. If you need a truck get the Envoy, if you need a Minivan/Wagon get the Highlander. The competition for the Highlander made by GM are the Buick Rendevous, and the Pontiac Aztek. I believe that there are topics comparing those in this forum. Maybe you should post there..
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Stick around and don't let that be your last visit! I am sure you have a lot to contribute.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • brad_22brad_22 Member Posts: 154
    "You get years more use of both the Envoy and the money you save over the wannabe suv Highlander."

Heatwave, this statement seems out of place for someone who's a stickler for "proof"! : )
    Like you said in previous posts, both vehicles are still new and reliability has yet to be determined, although Toyota does have the better reputation when it comes down to it. However, my HL still runs as smoothly as the day I got it...and I've put it through a lot!
    Call it what you want (minivan, wagon, butchmobile), who cares. Its been shown in this forum time and again which is a better vehicle depending on need. Get over it, most sane people agree (those who know anything about automobiles) that the HL will definitely beat an Envoy in a quality test. You might want to check those prices again regarding how much money you're going to save over the HL. The HLs are selling near invoice and the residual values are clearly higher.
  • tbuchtatbuchta Member Posts: 43
    There are good logical reasons to buy a trailblazer or similar vehicle like a suburban, tahoe over a Highlander. Those reasons have to do with the number of passengers, towing ability etc. There are in my opinion, bad, or illogical reasons as well, brand loyalty, overemphasis on gadgets, features. However, the beauty of the market is that there is a vehicle for almost everyone, regardless of what they think is important. But if you are like most consumers,who want a comfortable, economic, quiet, dependable vehicle which gives the visibility, towing capacity and off-road and winter driving of an SUV, I think you will choose a HL over GM products after reading all the information I cited before.

The distinction made (by GM litigation) between the triplets and the Rendevous/Aztek/HL is real, but only important to maybe 5% of consumers. Most of the folks buying the Envoy have exactly the same need for towing that folks buying the Aztek/Rendezvous/HL have. After you realize that, lets face it, the Aztek as currently designed is history, and the Rendezvous based on Consumer Reports is only going to be purchased by diehard GM loyalists. GM doesnt really have anything to compete with the HL, unless you put credence in publications which receive most of their funding from GM advertisements....
This discussion has been closed.