Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Cirrus Engine Cutout

akitambakitamb Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chrysler
Hello - I have a 1999 Chrysler Cirrus LXI. I have experienced a serious problem with the car about three times now. While I am driving along the road, the engine just dies - the guages freeze, and I loose power steering and brakes. I have to pull over to the side of the road, and then try to restart the car. If I try to start it up right after it stalls, it will not, I have to wait about five minutes. I've brought it to the dealer, and it is there again right now, but I am loosing faith in their ability to solve the problem. The first time this happened, I got a message "no bus" on my information panel right above the gear selector display. This is a serious problem, because if this car were to just cut out on the highway, who knows what could happen. Any ideas are appreciated... thanks very much.

Comments

• pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    With a 1973 Plymouth. They had to replace the ignition wires. They would heat up, everything would quit...engine, electrical, everything. I had to wait about 5 minutes to restart. Trying it earlier than that and the engine wouldn't even crank. They replaced those and everything worked fine. I know that's 30 years ago, but it's worth asking about.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    and we ran into this problem on several Cirrus/Breeze/Stratus models. On most cars, we found a bad ground at either the ECM, PCM or fusebox. I don't know whether it was the lightning speed with which these cars were constructed, or the ability for ground screws/bolts to back off, but they died while driving, surer that s---. (Texas phrase)
This discussion has been closed.