Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Anybody have any thoughts on the upcoming Nissan and Honda pickups???

Comments

• quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Because if SLX and Passport sales were less than ebullient, it might have been that the more discerning buyer knew he could buy the same SUV in the Isuzu Rodeo, with only a little bit less style, but for a lot less money.

If Honda does use the GM powertrain, history could repeat. Because Honda loyalists are turned off, doesn't mean discerning buyers are turned off to the GM powertrain, since it has already been a hit, to the tune of at least 1/2 million units per year, for the last 3 years, and sales leadership among full size trucks.
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    I like the GM dashboard, square, actually looks like a truck, shure beats the tundra
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    It may well be the best pickup engine out there—it's just not a Honda engine.

As I've said before, Honda is perhaps best known for their ability to design great engines. Auguably more so than any other car company including the fabled German brands. For them to buy outside seems almost sacrilegious.

Bob
    this may just be me looking specifically for this, but anyone else notice the #1 car for burning oil are early 90's civics, for me atleast I have seen more of these cars burning oil than any chevy or ford pickup
  • tavgradtavgrad Member Posts: 201
    Chevytruckfan, the dashbord shape is not what i'm talking about, the materials!!! The shape reminds me of older BMWs (cool). You need to paste Baby mickey mouse characters on it. Big "touch this" stickers all over it! Kidergarden romper room! The Rams 94-01 and Dakotas 97-01 have truck style, too, but with better quality.

Bob, Honda engines are race bred. They will develop the truck worthy engine but it's too early for them. I'd rather race with a Honda Accord than with a Chevy Malibu.
    Oh, yeah, the Honda 1.5L, the 2.0L burn oil problem. My brother bought an 86 Prelude as a commuter car. Stinks of burning oil. Quick as a rabbit.
    I'd rather race with a Subaru WRX... But that's another story. ;)

I'm sure Honda can develop an excellent "workhorse" V8 from the RL engine platform. Despite all the anti-Tundra sentiment expressed by some folks here, the fact of the matter is, the Tundra DOHC 4.7 is an excellent truck engine. Honda is just as capable as Toyota is converting a car engine into a truck engine.

Bob
    ever since 1965. Currently our daughter has a '92 Prelude. Not one of them ever burned any oil.

Now, if you want to talk about warped brake rotors...

Bob
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    For starters, I think it's kind of funny you have to use a bigger Chevy engine to make the comparison "fair" with the Toyota. We should really be comparing the Chev 4.8 with the Toyota 4.7, but you guys (and the professional reviewers) won't do that. I can only imagine how you would be crying foul if the tables were turned and we were comparing bigger Toyota engines to smaller Chevy engines.

What's the advantage, you ask? Well, I don't know the exact specs, but I'm sure the 4.7 is a lot lighter and smaller than the 5.3, making it easier to stuff into smaller vehicles, and the hallmark of a good engine has always been a good hp/torque to weight ratio. In this regard, the Chev is a slug.

Maybe you shouldn't be so critical of Toyota and the people who drive them. This goes to show how little Chevy guys know about Toyota, and how much Toyota guys know about Chevy. By the way, I believe Ford takes the honors for selling the most trucks, not GM. Maybe that's because even the Ford 4.6 ourperforms your 4.8.

But hey, go Chevy! Right?
    the sirens go off

"Honda is just as capable as Toyota is converting a car engine into a truck engine"

THE PROBLEM with the japanese, a truck should be a truck not a car. Thats mainly (mainly not only) reason I hate the tundra it isn't a truck, with its camry interior its car engine and ride and styling it makes me sick.

boy I'm starting to get like Archie Bunkie lol

P.S. why race those whimpy cars, Id rather race a 70 Chevelle SS 454 aaaaaahhhhhhh yummy
    Sorry bud GM is kicking Fords butt (ok not by that much) in selling trucks (in both categories, pickups and SUV's) this is of course is Chevy and GMC togather.

what do you need to put a 4.7 L in that is smaller than a tundra?

lets see only advantage is weight, yet the silverado accelerates better than the tundra, guess that extra weight really doesn't matter.

I think the main reason they use the 5.3 because it is the most powerful engine available in the Silverado. and the 4.7 in the tundra.

please don't tell me what I would do, thanks

Also ponder this, ever think that maybe Chevy does this as a marketing ploy so they can get more people to buy the 5.3L while still being able to say it has as many conifgurations as Ford.

I don't know many people that buy the 4.6 or the 4.8 L, why when for a few dollars more you can get the biggest engine?
    I have purposely tried to avoid a discussion with you because you and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of automotive tastes.

I'll take a WRX over your Chevelle any day of the week. (now we are getting way off topic).

In any event, and with all due respect, the Tundra is a truck, and a good one at that. It may not fit your description as to what a truck "should" be. However, I'm sure if you ask just about any Tundra owner what they think of their truck, they'll give you a positive response.

Bob
    ...from the Nissan camp. Perhaps there are no Nissan loyalists. But if there was one Japanese auto manufacturer besides Toyota that has the resources to build a full size truck, without outsourcing, for the U.S. market, it would be Nissan. And if they fail where Honda succeeds (and I think they do), it has to have something to do with terrible styling that not even the U.S. pop culture can appreciate.
    Quad and I are finally in agreement over something! I do look forward to see what Nissan presents, even if the styling is, uh, bit controversial...

Bob
    With all due respect, there are plenty of non-Toyota/non-Japanese trucks out there that are as car-like as the Tundra. All these $40k-$60K GMC/Cadillac trucks/SUVs with leather, fancy-schmancy 4WD systems, etc. make me just as sick (yeah, you're really going to work these and go four-wheeling!). Whatever fault you find with Toyota, I can find with GMC/Cadillac as well. The true work trucks are strippers, and Toyota and GMC BOTH make these.
    Wait, isn't GMC "Professional Grade"? Professional as in white collar Broker and lawyer. They need to change those commercials of some brooks-brothers-suited-down executive stepping out of his Sierra Denali in San Francisco with a briefcase. Only us city boys would consider that, right, chieveytruuuuckfan?

And for 2001 MY, The ford F series still is #1 in sales, followed by chievy silverado. FOrd Exploder is #3.

Oh, OK, I'll speak for Nissan.

Quad, you are right. Nissan has a better chance of building a Full sizer sooner than Honda, without outsourcing. They were the first in the pickup game (for the Japanese in the US), so they do have the know-how. Just not the funds (ouch).

nissan's styling has been crappy in the past 10 years,modeling after the other two, but now they are finally making styling cues. IMO, the altima is by far the best looking mid sized bread n butter sedan out there, and has the perfomance to boot (finally.)

The ALpha T will not make it into production. I guarantee that. They're learning from the Chevy Ugulanche.
    all those Cadillac Escalade SUVs with the gold badging, cup holders, cell phone antennaes, etc. Or as mentioned before, the Denali. How about an Eddie Bauer edition Excursion? I think Chevytruck_fan turns a blind eye to his arguments when they apply to his beloved Chevy and Ford.
    now you guys are just trying to mess with me, professional grade, I don't know what that is suppose to me personally.

Toyota-same interior as camry
    Denali-same interior as silverado

I really don't like luxury trucks, have you ever seen me talk about them...no
    I drive a truck with vinyl floor mats, hubcaps, no a/c, no headliner I don't believe in "luxury" "trucks"
    >119 You also got to love by plutonious Nov 06, 2001 (09:04 pm)
    all those Cadillac Escalade SUVs with the gold badging, cup holders, cell phone antennaes, etc. Or as mentioned before, the Denali. How about an Eddie Bauer edition Excursion?<

First Bob agrees with me about Nissan, and now I find myself in agreement with Pluto. LOL!

Clever marketing, how they give you everthing you need in a base level truck, but tempt you by leaving out a single must-have item. For me, I could do with rubber floor mats, and cloth liners, even hand cranked roll-up windows. But when it came to the factory radio, cassette 2 speakers versus CD 6 speakers, I could not do without! So I paid thousands more I'm sure for the mid level trim, and got a whole bunch of krap I could have done without, carpeted floors, overhead map lights, power windows, cruise etc.

For a professional grade truck (LOL), for someone else, leather is the upgrade that costs the big bucks because of the useless stuff it's packaged with, OnStar, heated mirrors, compass etc. But for the leather, the sad part is how little of it you actually get. Only the seating surfaces, not the sides or back, and not the back seat either. The imitation, simulated leather they put in the back seat is so realistic, you wonder why they don't just make that an option for the entire car.
    lol quad you can deal with hand cranked windows, I WONT buy a truck with electric windows or door locks, you can deal with cloth liners, I wish I could get no headliner,

but the cd player is one that will get you.

One thing that really pisses me off, I think they changed this year is or was to get the nicest wheels on the 2500 and 3500 you had to order a higher package, I think they changed that though.
    I guess you also prefer living in a cave, as opposed to living in a house...

I do agree with you, however, about the trend towards ultra-luxury trucks. I saw a Lincoln Blackwood on the road yesterday. Sorry, but I just don't get it...

Bob
    Well, this is where I differ from you all.
    I bought a truck with nearly all of the options. I don't have leather seating because in ALL extended cabs, the rear seating in vinyl (Crew cabs have leather in rear). But next year I will take it to the leather upholsterer and get leather-front and rear.
    And I'll be honest..I really like the Sierra Denali (except that it is AWD-BOOO). Can't climb rocks in that.

Don't get me wrong...I think the Escalade EXT and that Lincoln Blackwood is a bit much, but luxury pickups are beginning to become an alternative to those Luxury SUV's.
    What I don't get is trucks dropped to lowriders with rocker panels and air dams scraping the asphalt.

Like you said yesterday, QUad, Cammie Monsters and unibody chipmunks are the reasons why truckers are getting pickups.
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    Sacraficing enclosed space for the utility of a short bed, fine. But the bed is so nice that most people will probably never put anything into it that they couldn't place in a cheaper SUV anyway. Seems like a fairly pointless vehicle to me.

Seems to me like manufacturers are trying with trucks to do what they did with cars in the 70's... take one vehicle, slap 3 or 4 different grills on it, offer different options packages, and then sell it for 3 or 4 different prices.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I would welcome a Honda pickup, as long as it was something small and fun to drive (like the old VW pickup). There really is nothing on the market right now that handles well and is efficient.

The market might be ripe right now. Fewer people are defining their manliness by the obesity of their vehicles.
    dudleyr, that's where honda needs to start. Like I said earlier, taking on the compact pickups should not be much of a challenge. Going full size, well, they're going to need some assistance.

Honda acutally could have introduced a "unibody" truck a long time ago here in the states, and it would have done very well. Something like the subaru brat (of which, is coming back, now called STX with 4 doors). If Honda came out with that style, they would have many followers. Chop the back off the CRX, make the rear a little longer, add their 3.2LV6, 4WD...you know, make a rally bred type buggy.

Chevrolet is tetering with that idea with the Borrego concept (teamed up with Subaru) and that chevy SSR is on it's way. Volkswagen is another with the AAC concept...
  • lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    From what I've seen so far, Nissan is developing a 5.5 liter V8 engine for thier new truck. The 3.5 liter V6 I have now is 250 hp and 240 ft-lbs of torque.
    The new '03 Subie pickup will again be called the BRAT, not the ST-X, when it hits the streets. It will officially be announced at the Detroit Auto Show this January, and will be in showrooms this time next year.

Tav- Don't get me wrong, I do like a certain amount of comfort in any vehicle I drive. I just don't think the Caddy and Lincoln pickups and SUVs have advanced the breed any. They're just gussied up versions of mainstream trucks. Very little new has been introduced in terms of "useful" technology or ideas by either Lincoln or Caddy.

The Caddy pickup is a Chevy Avalanche sprinkled with "Caddy Fairy Dust," and the Blackwood is an F-150 Super Crew modified to answer a question that nobody has asked...

As usual, we'll probably have to wait until either the Europeans or Japanese come up with something truly unique and useful.

Bob
    Well that is un called for, a cave really thats not very nice.

Well I have a hard time deciding on this stuff, my beef about the tundra being like a car is partially due to the fact you can't change the fact the the tundra rides like a car, looks like a car, has a car interior.

I don't know I can sorta see luxury in trucks if you take it for long trips etc, I'm sorta undecided....For someone like me that daily drives trucks A/C would be nice, and maybe some more sound material would be nice. Leather is too nice for a pickup.

But what if you want a luxury vehicle, and you don't like cars, like me, the only new vehicles I like are trucks, so luxury car is out of the question.

What really makes me mad is that suburbans are so expensive now, they used to be cheap work trucks, now its hard to find one under 28,000!

as far as the Honda pickup, if honda makes such good engines why do their v6's have some of the worst milege for V6.

And did anybody answer my question about the smoking early 90's honda civics?
    Bob,
    Luxury pickups are like the best of both worlds-Like driving long distances while bringing your big toys with you. Compass, Nav system (mopar aftermarket), 6 disc CD changer, kicking AC, a big cooler in your bed with the sliding glass rear window. Tell the shmuck to reach out and grab me a cold one (soda). Plenty of plugs to hook up my son's playstation or TV/DVD player for the rear, and the family is off to San Francisco from Los ANgeles.
    but I wouldn't shell out $50K plus for them.
    btw, I would have also considered the Avalanche if some of that "Caddy fairy dust" made it all body color.
    When I was at the LA Autoshow, they had the "STX" in a cool yellow, with the baywatch lifeguard getup. Honda, why didn't you take notice?

Honda wants part of the testosterone game.

Nissan had already tackled this with the frontier (They have the crew cabs at the beach), and now they will move onwards to tackle and beat toyota.
    ispangler, you must have the 5-sp. The auto is 240 hp. and 260 lb. ft. of torque. I also think that V8 will find its way into the next Path/Q. Nissan should toss the 3.3L and put the 3.5 in the frontier and the Xterra.

chevytruckfan, take it easy man..sounds like your taking things tooo personal.
    I don't know where you're getting your info from, but most automotive experts agree that Honda engines are among the most fuel efficient and clean engines out there, V6s included.

As to oil burning Civics, don't know anything about that. In my 35 years of owning Hondas, I've never experienced an oil burner. BTW, any engine will burn oil eventually if you don't maintain them&#151;Hondas included.

Bob
    Nothing wrong with a nicely equipped truck. A fully loaded Silverado or F-150 is all the luxury I'll ever need. Anything that Cadillac or Lincoln adds to those packages, IMO, is wasted luxury. I don't need it, or want it.

Bob
    You seem to have a penchant for nothing but primitive "work trucks," and dismiss anything that even "hints" of comfort or luxury&#151;hence my cave comment.

Nothing wrong with work trucks, I like them too; but I wouldn't want one as my daily driver.

Bob
    Almost any base truck today, austere perhaps, but worlds beyond when a work truck was lucky to have seat belts and AM radio. You got a vinyl bench seat, a defroster and windshield wipers. A luxury truck had automatic transmission.

Today, even the base models most of them have A/C, AM/FM/Cassette, split seats etc.

A mid level trim truck like mine is pretty comfortable without unnecessarily stirring the passions of opulence and excess, except perhaps for that Duramax emblem on the door :) So it's right for me.
    The stars must be in perfect alignment&#151;we agree again!

Although our friend Chevytruck fan might disagree about the DuraMax diesel, since it's Japanese and not American.

Bob
    would probably be perfect for Chevytruck fan: it was my uncle's 1941 Chevy stake farm truck.

It had a crash-box for a tranny, a starter foot button on the floor, and it was about as much a "work truck" as you could stand...

We would pile that old truck sky high with bales of hay, and haul them off to store in the barn for his herd of cows. Those were the good old days. :)

Bob
    hey up there I said I would think about getting a luxury pickup since I daily drive pickups.

In my future career I'm going to have to drive a ways to get to work (by choice), I would think about getting an 1500 LT as a commuter, lol man I must be on greenpeace hit list if my idea of a commuter car is stepping down from 2500 to 1500 lol

the duramax thing whil eit is a joint venture made in ohio, there are too many parts like the head and crank made in germany or japan or orther places, it crosses the line for me.
    I see by your profile that you're a freshman in collage. What school, and what are you going to major in?

You may want to consider some courses in global economics, hopefully to open your eyes (and mind) to the fact that American cars are hardly "American" any more. Fords are built in Canada. Dodge makes Rams in Mexico, etc. If you think that buying an "American" GM product is the patriotic thing to do, keep in mind that GM has plants and products all around the world. The Isuzu DuraMax engine is a "GM" product. If it's made in Japan, GM still benefits; and, so do you as a customer, because it's a great engine.

Bob
    I go to Central Washington University, I'm majoring in Flight Technology (in other words a commercial airline pilot)

Well this is my perspective on this, what is going to support more US jobs, GM that has around 100,000 employees in the US, or Toyota which probably has 20,000.

Now on the duramax diesel, I just won't have an engine in my truck realted to izusu. I don't drive japanese trucks and I don't expect to have a japanese engine in it, that just bothers the heck out of me. Same with the GM 6speed manual, I wouldn't have that in my truck either because it is made in Germany.
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    You're gonna find SOMETHING that wasn't made in this country, guarenteed.
    ANd vice versa. Parts that are in Japanese trucks are american, too. There is nothing wrong with outsourcing. That goes for you too, Bob.
    GM and Ford are no longer American, buddy, they are international. GM will be relying on their affiliates to save their cars, Ford's executive VP's are European, and we know who Chrysler's main bosses are...

Chevytruckfan, It's just you be loyal to your brand that you choose. I've seen you bashed Dodge, Ford, and even Chev's cousin, GMC in addition to the Japanese trucks.
    I bashed GMC? that must have been a mistake.

Like I said, I can have the revenue from my truck go to yashimoto or Bob the UAW worker.

And thats one reason I left the Ford ship, european/libyan executives
    and look where it got them!
    I don't have problem with outsourcing, per say. I do have problem with Honda outsourcing engines, that's all. Honda is all about engines, more so than just about any other company I can think of. Their image is tied to the fact that they make superior engines, so to buy outside, is dumb at best.

Bob
    You've got a long tough life ahead of you if you think that your money is only going to go to Americans.

What have you got against other countries? They're just trying to make a buck (or yen) too.

Bob
    bob, Chevytruckfan will learn. When he gets his first good job, he'll open his eyes to more. Heck, let him get into the corporate structure and work his way up. He'll be shmoozing his clients in his german sports sedan.

Honda's engines are great..I think they will work a "larger truck worthy engine" out of that Acura V8. However, like I said before, it will not be overnight. If that is Honda's first V8, no way. Maybe for 2003/04 they'll put their own in there, but for now, the GM V8 will have to do.

CTF in a German sport sedan... LOL! That'll be the day, he doesn't even like cars, let alone foreign ones. He wouldn't know what to do with something precise and nimble handling.

Bob
    you don't know how much you people make me mad, don't ever say I'm going to have a german car. aarrrrrgggg. I'm not going into a industry where I have to shmooze anyone. And if someone isn't impressed with a 2500HD silverado I don't want their money

Precise handling is over rated lol, In my view a new Silverado has really precise handling,I don't know if you have ever driven one but they take the corners good.

what do I have against other countries? Well I live in America, I want to see America as great as it can be. I'm just a patriotic person, America comes first too me, and its citizens. I want people to be able to have good paying jobs, not crappy service jobs selling products made somewhere else.

QUAD-I saw a sticker on a silverado said tranny made in Germany, maybe I am mistaken. Isn't ZF a german company though?
    Relax... Can't you see when we're pulling your leg...

On a more serious note, and as a parent with two kids in college, and as an owner of a business, and as one who also teaches college part-time, and as someone who has owned more vehicles than you are years old, let me give you some advice...

Enjoy your time in college, but if I were you, I'd take those patriotic blinders off, and take this great opportunity that you now have to learn a little about the rest of the world. You just might be surprised what you could learn... if you allow yourself to.

I gotta tell ya... From what I know of you (admittedly very little), if you were to come to me and apply for a job, I wouldn't hire you. Even if you graduated number one in your class, and were the greatest pilot out there, I wouldn't hire you.

Why?

Attitude, and the fact that I would worry that you might in some way embarrass me or my company. I would worry that you might cost me clients because you might insult or offend them. In short, you're a loose cannon, therefore in my mind (and most other employers)&#151;a risk not worth taking.

Lose the attitude. Your only 18 or so. You don't know as much as you think you do.

BTW, this is not meant to be a flame, just an observation from someone who's trying to help you grow up. Take it for what it's worth. Or, ignore it... It's up to you.

Back to Honda and Nissan trucks...

Bob
    I must be mistaken I thought patriotism might become more acceptable after Sept 11, guess I was wrong. Neither did I think wanting to buy American was an attitude problem. Guess I have a lot to learn.

Quad-boy you lucked out, must have been some flattery in that letter. BTW what happened to the tundra vs big 3 forum? I went on hiatus for a while I come back and its gone, bama got more crazy or what?

I was just checking out your new pics (well new to me), you have really good tastes in trucks! Could you find the manual transfer case on a lot or did you order that truck with your options?
    Don't mistake "patriotism" for blind ignorance. I, like 99.9% of most Americans, am very patriotic&#151;especially in light of what has happened 9/11.

We live in a global community, where international business links are the name of the game. This is not going to change. In fact, as time goes on, it will only intensify. Your constant harping of "us vs. them," rather than embracing the concept of "we" is just going to make you a very frustrated person in the long run. I'd say "get over it, and get used to it." You're too young to get ulcers...

Again, back to Honda and Nissan trucks.

Bob
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Looks like it has about 3" of ground clearance. Who would be foolish enough to buy a first (or second, or third) year Chev?
This discussion has been closed.