Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Please, introduce yourself (Newcomers, start here)!

15678911»

Comments

• alexz81alexz81 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a new car and am stuck between the Nissan Murano and the Toyota FJ Cruiser. I know they are in totally different classes. One side of me likes the luxurious Murano. It's not too big and is easy to handle. On the other hand, the FJ Cruiser is an awesome looking fun car to drive. I guess the only thing I see as a downfall with it is the MPG, which is 17/20. Any advice from owners??

Thanks!!
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    alexz81: Don't buy either one. Nissan is highly over rated, the CVT trans. is not what you would call "great". This is the first year for the Toyota FJ. Let others pay in shop time to work out all the first year bugs.
    My suggestion For tough great driving the Jeep Liberty. (super savings on prices now too) As much as 25% off sticker! If you want a smaller car the Jeep Compass is a great little Jeep. Or wait for the Jeep Patriot, it's "Trail Rated" and it even better than the Compass.
    I will also add that all the Jeep's keep real AMERICANS working. I don't know where the FJ or Murano are made, but they do have more parts from other countries other than the USA.

Farout
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Alexz81, welcome to Edmunds.

You are welcome to create a comparison discussion; otherwise take a look at these for starters:

Toyota FJ Cruiser

and

Nissan Murano 2006+

Hey Farout, did you forget that Jeep is a German company now? :blush:
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    Steve: Haven't you seen Dr. Z drive that 330M into that cement wall? Dr. Z just gets out without even a speck of air bag dust, or a hair out of place. Now that's German engineering for ya!
    It's a shame when our daughter was involved in a collision with our 2004 Dodge Neon, she looked a mess and could hardly walk, and that was at 35mph!
    Well soon GM will be headquarted in Japan, is that better?

Farout
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Haven't you seen Dr. Z drive that 330M into that cement wall?

It's been a while - they retired him. :(

tidester, host
    I killed my TV a few years back so I only get to see commercials on the net now.

Amazingly few people razz me for driving a French car (Nissan Quest) ;)
  • jwisniewskijwisniewski Member Posts: 1
    Every time I try and set a destination in my in-dash navigation system, I get an error message saying that my destination is more than 3,000 miles away. It started suddenly and without explanation and now my nav system is nothing more than a map. What causes this and how does it get fixed?
    Welcome to the forum - try asking in the GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Problems discussion.
  • rappwizardrappwizard Member Posts: 3
    I also am a new member, and have been "lurking" the past few months, reading the messages on the forum, and have also learned a lot. I own a 1998 Ford Explorer EB and although it still runs, it's about time for a new SUV.

This is what I want:
    V6; Cargo space, with 2nd row up, of at least 43 cu. ft (that is what I have now, and need at least that much, if not more, to shuttle my two golden retrievers to various dog shows). Your typical safety features (air curtains, stability trac, etc.)Dual a/c; 6 CD changer; Leather seats

I test drove the 2007 Ford EB, Honda Pilot & GMC Acadia but wasn't 100% sold on any of them.

Any other suggestions?
    Welcoma aboard!

Here are a couple of general discussions to get you started:

What is the Best SUV For me?

What's the best vehicle for my needs?

Good luck!

tidester, host
  • dkthomdkthom Member Posts: 5
    I am here because I am a desperate woman! Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Need help with a problem with my 2002 CR-V and the educated and trained professionals at my dealership can't figure it out. I figure there's power in numbers and thought someone here might have experienced the same thing!

I am married, have three cats, four granddaughters and live in Texas. I think I was actually in love with my CR-V until my husband wrecked it in March and now there's something wrong that apparently can't be "duplicated or diagnosed." Oh, how I have come to hate those words! :sick: :mad: :cry:
    Sounds like a puzzler. Hopefully some folks will have some good suggestions for you.
  • big_dictatorbig_dictator Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to greet everyone and maybe get started asking some questions and hopefully answering twice as many. I'm Brandon and I'm 21 from Virginia and have a 1995.5 Honda Passport that I'm having problems with recently. If someone could just point me in the right direction then I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Brandon™

And yet...my mistakes often turn out better than my intentions.
    Welcome aboard, Brandon!

Be sure to check out the topics in Isuzu Rodeo.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dumbmxerdumbmxer Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I've lived inside city limits my whole life and am moving out to the country and am looking for a cheaper but reliable vehicle that will get thru snow. I've heard good things about this site and thought I'd give it a try. I'm on a tight budget of <$6k for a new car. does anyone have suggestions?

Ryu
    Welcome Ryu!

The Next Used Compact SUV; RAV4/Subaru Forester/Mazda Tribute? discussion may help you narrow down the field.

The Purchasing Used Vehicles discussion over in Smart Shopper has good buying info and you may find Used Vehicles: Best Values useful too.

Have fun shopping!
  • danellhdanellh Member Posts: 14
    Greetings, I like hiking and dogs. I dislike rude people and low cars - I'm getting older and have to think about maintaining my hip for hiking.

I welcome and look forward to your feedback; these posts have been great fun to read and soooo informative!

I've owned the Honda Accord and Honda Civic, both got over 200,000 miles. Now I'm thinking about either the Honda Accord with height adjustable seat, Toyota Rav4 or Subaru Forester. I nixed the CRV because of poor rear visibility. I don't especially like the Rav4's excess cabin roominess so am leaning toward the 2008 (no 2007s left) Forester No Frills with stick shift.

From my limited understanding the manual is not only $800 less but also less expensive to maintain because it does not rely on a computer. Is this correct?

I want something that not only has a higher hip entry point but will be cost effective to maintain with good resale value. Tell me, do you think I should go with a new model and if so what or perhaps an older model (hate to think about purchasing someone else's problems) like the 2006 RAV4 which was smaller?

Lastly, I read that someone had paid $20,900 out the door price for a 2008 Forester w/premium package. What would be a good price for the 2008 Basic Forester stick shift?

Whew, that was a lot!
    Welcome aboard!

Be sure to check out the topics in these groups:

Honda Accord

Toyota RAV4

Subaru Forester

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ditkaditka Member Posts: 2
    Hello All.

I am new to this and do not know the ins and outs. I posted a new thread but it did not display "NEW" next to the thread and I have not had any replies. Please help.

Thank you.
    Hi, Ditka!

You should always look to see whether a suitable discussion already exists before posting a message to avoid duplication of topics. I have moved your message to ditka, "Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Engine and Performance Issues" #167, 20 Sep 2007 7:44 pm

The new location should make it more likely that you will get a reply so keep an eye on it!

Also, creating multiple discussions for the same message is counterproductive so I've removed those newly created topics.

Good luck!

-Tom aka Tidester
    edmunds.com
  • jspagna1jspagna1 Member Posts: 34
    I am new to this forum and poking around,it looks very interesting. My interests? Cars cars cars! Well I do like to spend time on my lawn too.I love going to the drag races.
    I have a 1966 Mustang Coupe that is pretty much a Restomod. If your a car person,you'll know what that means.
    I have a 1997 Toyota 4Runner that I bought new with 115,300 miles on it and it runs like a champ,but I am starting to get board of it and the wife says I can buy a new truck if I want. What do you guys think of the GMC Arcadia or the Saturn Outlook? Or should I look at the Honda Pilot? Thanks for the feedback.
    Welcome to CarSpace!

Check out the Nissan Murano vs Toyota Highlander vs Subaru B9 Tribeca vs Honda Pilot discussion and there's lot of talk in the 2007 Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave board about the GMs.

It's always fun to shop, even if you aren't planning to buy for a while.
  • swampcrocswampcroc Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to check in and say Hi - a little about myself - currently own a 98 4Runner and 07 Jeep Wrangler 4dr (both 2wd) and 2 motorcycles (his and hers respectively). Now that we have the Jeep it's time to start playing with the 4 Runner a little (4cyl, 2wd, auto tranny). Most of my other hobbies are expensive so I don't anticipate any suprises here either. Have 21 yrs exp as Machinery tech in the military and addt'l 7 yrs as a marine mechanic (b.o.a.t.= Break Out Another Thousand). Hope to receive friendly input on variety of subjects as a member here - Look forward to it. Happy New Year Folks!! Talk with you soon. (1st post on bd - 2.7 lrt performance...).
  • bcisland1bcisland1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I've owned a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport since new. 250,000 km now and no major problems although body is really start to show its age. Floorboards on passenger side have rusted through and inside of vehicle is getting soaked. $2,000 in repairs over the last 2 years so time to move on.

What I want is a small to mid-sized SUV preferably with manual transmission, 4WD or AWD and a rear hatch that opens upwards. We tow a boat in the summer and a side opening rear entry just won't work. I hate the new styling with those small back windows. I'm used to lots of windows so I can actually see when I look over my shoulder. We thought we'd get a Forester but it just seems too small in the back seat. We have a daughter who will only get bigger. We plan to own this next vehicle for 10 - 15 years too so resale value is not an issue but reliability is.

We're interested in the Mitsubishis - good pricing and a good reputation in Japan if not so much here. Any other suggestions? Toyotas and Hondas are too high priced - I'm just not convinced they're worth it (although my previous car was a 1986 Toyota Tercel and it was GREAT!)
    My '82 Tercel wouldn't die either. :-)

Mitsubishi got a new North American CEO last summer and he immediately started making the dealer rounds - last I heard, he was doing a good job keeping the dealers and owners pretty happy. Comments in the various Mitsu SUV discussions seem to bear that out too.

Check out the What is the Best SUV For me? discussion too.
    Hey Croc, welcome to you too.

You may want to head over to Mods That Make No Sense since no 4Runner owners seem to be "pouring money into a hole in the water." :D
  • cajun123cajun123 Member Posts: 1
    They have had the "technology" since the oil embargo in the 70's....

They have the mega fuel sipping engines and powertrains....

now, they are crying about poor vehicle sales?? Sounds like a politics to me....

Put a "clean diesel" with a hybrid system....and promote it to increase gas mileage by 40%, and they will outsell the Asian markets...and more importantly, BECOME THE MARKET LEADERS ONCE AGAIN...INSTEAD OF THE FOLLOWERS AND COMPLAINERS

Cajun123
  • rosado1rosado1 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had problems with their door locks? My locks started locking and unlocking automatically after leaving a car wash recently. I could not unlock the doors without first parking and turning off the car. I also heard clicking noises as if someone was playing w/ the buttons of the doors. When I looked over the locks just kept locking and unlocking on their own. After a few minutes of driving on the highway the noise and the craziness stopped. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Hi Rosado1, welcome to CarSpace,

Try asking in the Subaru Forester Electrical/Lighting Issues discussion about those door locks. Sounds like the power lock actuators have gotten confused.
  • rosado1rosado1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks.
  • crh47crh47 Member Posts: 20
    Well, I just discovered this forum the other day. I currently own...

2001 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 2WD
    2002 Toyota Camry LE

We have ordered a 2009 Dodge Journey SXT, which we will trade the Camry for. Growing family (two little girls) calls for something bigger.
    Welcome!

Maybe you can set up your CarSpace page and post some Journey photos there when you pick it up?
  • stephshestephshe Member Posts: 2
    Hi I'm new to this site and I was trying to get some advice on purchasing a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I recently fell in love with a fully loaded one(sunroof, leather) and I found this site and read some mixed reviews about this vehicle. The dealer has it at the transmission shop now fixing the coil(?) and says it should be back this week. The vehicle has 124,000 miles on it and they gave me a carfax report(I did my own on it too) and it has had 3 previous owners all in texas(where I also live). I plan on doing a preowned vehicle check(costing $100) this week but I wanted advice on if this is a good vehicle. The dealer is asking $4925+ ttl. What do you think?
    Hi, Steph. Welcome aboard!

I would start with Buying a Used Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee and check out the other topics in Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee. You may also want to check out our Used vehicles, used car prices, used car values at Edmunds.

Good luck.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • imbizableimbizable Member Posts: 1
    trying to get the transmission down and unattached has me puzzled and where can i get the tool ? quick release? pry bar,teeth?
    I would try either Ford Explorer Transmission Questions or Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • fireftrbuckfireftrbuck Member Posts: 1
    When I want to know about a vehicle, the first place I go is the message boards. Solid info from real owners. I am replacing my 97 F150 with something more family friendly and better on gas. A co-worker is selling his 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited for $8,000. 85,000 miles, new front end work, new (rebuilt) engine, excellent condition, well taken care of. I am looking to know if I will be happy with it. Common problems I should look for or expect, safety concerns?
    Buying a Used Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee would be a good place to start. Also, browse through the many topics in the Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee section. There are several there that will interest you.

And welcome aboard!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • trinontrinon Member Posts: 1
    Hello ! I am brand new to this site and need some tips and or suggestions in shopping or selecting an SUV that fits my needs and wants. Here is my background:
    I am single with no kids nor pets but hopefully both in the next few years. I am 6ft tall, have body of a football player ie. broad shoulders so comfortable driver seats and leg room are important to me. I also like a decent amount of head room too. I want to stay within $25k to $32k price range if possible. I am focusing on used models in '06 to '08 model years to help me stay in my price range. I am thinking Toyota Sequoia Limited, Chevy Tahoe LT, Infiniti QX56. Maybe fully loaded Toyota 4 Runner but it just looks too small and narrow. I heard good things about the Mazda CZ-9 but I have seen it up close and again it looks too small for me. I want the ride to be pretty quiet on the highway, as agile as can be for for a large SUV, decent acceleration when I step on the gas from stops and for passing on the highway. Cargo space is not real important for me nor is towing abilities. I just need plenty of room for a few friends, groceries, golf clubs, and the ocasional transporting pieces of furniture and luggage for road trips. I don't plan on doing any off roading, 99% of driving will be around the city or on the highway. Engine reliability, interior comfort, and resale value are very important to me. Other than being prudent and test driving the vehicles I mentioned above, any other suggestions or other models you would suggest I look at? Given what my wants and needs are, are the 3 I mentioned above pretty good choices or which of those would you recommend?
    Welcome!

Here are a couple of starters for you:

What's the best vehicle for my needs?

What is the Best SUV For me?

Good luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • krisnelkrisnel Member Posts: 2
    I'm new member to this forum..I'm from Charlotte, North Carolina.

I just started looking for an SUV..need help in selection.

I have a Toyota Camry (which I'm planning to trade in or sell it) and a Honda Civic.

We are a married couple, no children..I need some help to start researching into what are available. I'm looking for Used SUV's, because I get them cheaper than newer ones and New ones deprecate faster in first few years.

Any links or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Welcome aboard!

I think the first question you'll want to answer is what are your needs? To help you focus on this I recommend starting in What's the best vehicle for my needs? Once you've narrowed that down a bit then it will be easier to direct you to particular makes and models.

Good luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • marsha8marsha8 Member Posts: 1
    I'm torn over the 2012 MDX and Mercedes 2012 SUV 350. I'm not a soccer mom anymore and don't need the 3rd row but drive 25K miles/yr for work. Do you think the smaller interior on the 350 will get make me feel crowded when I have a passenger with me? I love the MDX except the passenger blind spots in right corner and my kids think it's just more of the same. Anyone have experience. with the 2012 Mercedes SUV 350 and can share pro's/cons? Price is not an issue.