Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1992 Explorer 4x4 not working

shilly10shilly10 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Ford
I have a 1992 Ford Explorer and when I push the 4x4 button on the dash the 4x4 doesn't engage. I checked the fuse in the power distribution panel and it looks OK. Any suggestions? Send me an e-mail to shilly10@aol.com or reply to this post. thanks!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Isn't there an electrical component right on the transmission on this car? Some type of solenoid, etc? I seem to recall messing with this many years ago on a friend's Explorer. Trace the system further down than the fusebox. If you find such a component, clean the connections to it.
  • shilly10shilly10 Member Posts: 3
    I traced two possible connections. One was near the transmission cable linkage (couldn't get this connection apart - too tight a squeeze) and the other was about a foot forward of that towards the front of the truck. It was on top of a cylindrical part with a thick red wire going into it along with a regular wire connection. I cleaned this connection. I tried but the 4x4 still didn't work. If you happen to find out any more info about this I would appreciate it. Thanks for your help!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    maybe one of the techs that visit us knows. I don't have the book on that vehicle, but I distinctly recall a friend having this problem and fixing it with cleaning up a bad connection. If I see him, I'll ask him!
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    There is a small electric motor on the transfer case wich engages the 4x4,try tapping on it while someone pushes the button.This will most likely work but you should replace the motor anyway since it will prbably happen again.(it looks like a wiper motor)
This discussion has been closed.