Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Choking Celica

1badkitty1badkitty Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Toyota
My 1990 Celica GTS 2.2L non-turbo w/ 100 K miles is suddenly chocking in lower gears. Once she gets to 3rd gear (she is an automatic) she accelerates normally; however, getting there she is chocking and barely accelerating. 6 months ago I had the fuel injection flushed and well as air and fuel filters replaced. Could it be the pcv valve? Is my transmission about to go? Should I get the transmission flushed? Does anyone know where the pcv valve is located? One more question- how anyone used an engine restorer called "Z-Max"? Thanks in advance for your time.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No, I don't think anything you've suggested is a plausible explanation. This could be many, many things, it's hard to know where to start.

But if the engine refuses to accelerate smoothly, one would suspect either a fuel delivery or ignition problem of some sort.

For starters you might change your fuel filter(s) and check your spark plug wires, spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor.

Do simple things first and then work to the complex, not the other way around.
  • Options
    bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Some ideas come to mind:

1. Follow Shify's advice and do a tune-up (essentially what he is saying). New plugs, dist cap, wires, etc.

2. Sometimes this is an ignition problem, like there is no advance which makes the car real sluggish at low speeds. This might be an electrical problem but you can check with a timing light for starters.

3. It could be a tranny problem too. If the first two gears are slipping badly then acceleration would be sluggish. The car would run OK in top gear. A tranny flush is a good idea anyway especially with 100K on it. You might learn a lot about its condition.

4. Is the turbo working properly? Is it providing boost at all RPM's?

5. Does the tranny clunk or slip between gears or when shifting from reverse to drive?

Those are a few things to check out and they should cost too much or be too difficult to do.
This discussion has been closed.