Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    Hey everyone. Prospective '06 Sonata GLS V6 owner here looking for a rear decklid spoiler. I was disappointed to see that Hyundai does not offer anything like that. Does anyone have any leads on a spoiler that will fit this car? What I have in mind is something like that for the Honda Accord.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    EBAY has them.
  • tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    Re: spoilers: Go the www.kpsec.com. website(a Hyundai/Kia aftermarket supply in Korea); and ,you can also find them on ebay. I ordered trunk-lid trim from kspec, got it in about 6- 8 days in good shape. They have lots of items for the new Sonata there. Good luck!
  • awal17821awal17821 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Ive purchased a used Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 2001. I like the car, but i think some modifications are needed. I am interested in replacing the sound system but thats later on. First, I would like to remedy the speed factor. I beleive the stock HP of the Sonata is (correct me if i am wrong) 170 HP. I have an automatic. Speed wise for acceleration, it will be behind a modified manual. Is it possible to boost the performance so that i could make the car fast? Questions below:

How much will a spolier cost (i heard it boosts about 5 hp)

How much will a transmission change to manual cost? (heard thousands)

I found no premade turbos for the sonata. Though i know you can put a turbo on any car. Can anyone help me design one that i can purchase?

Nitrous. Nitrous. Nitrous. Is there a nitrous kit i can put on my sonata?

Ive heard of a manual boost you can put in your steering wheel that feeds your car pure gas which gives you a manual boost. However you're susposed to have a guage dial to track it. Anyone heard of anything like that?

Is there a cold air intake i can put on my sonata and whats the cost?

I know its a lot of information, but if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
  • cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    I'm surprised to hear that. My 06 Sonata came with a cute spoiler on the back with a built in brake light. I can't believe the dealer can't find that for you. None of the cars on his lot have them??
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    How much did the spoiler add to the price of the car?
  • cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    Not a dime. There were two GLS Sonatas on the lot with spoilers and one LX model with a spoiler and moonroof. I searched the sticker on my car and the spoiler is not even mentioned. The other GLS was white and I just sold a white car, too hard to keep clean, so I chose the silver blue one. I paid $16,995 before tax title and license. I think it adds so much to the appearance. The Saturn I just sold had one just like it on it. But if these cars have the spoilers on the lot, surely a dealer can add them. I can't imagine any part that is not available to them to do so. If you are buying new, insist they add one.
  • nacenace Member Posts: 45
    i did not realize that my new 06 gls v6 does not come with automatic door locks. any information would be appreciated as to after market installation and cost. thank you
  • jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    I asked my dealer about a spoiler and they have apparently put some on for other Sonata buyers. They get them from a supplier in another town and they look like a spoiler for the Accord. He never got back with me on a price, but I have seen them on the net with the integrated brake light for around $235 painted. I don't trust myself to install it myself without screwing something up.
  • pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    There must be a mistake. You should be able to lock all your doors with the remote key fob, or by pressing the power door lock button on the driver's door panel. Unless you are referring to the doors automatically locking upon movement of the car. This is a feature built into the locks, but must be activated by the dealer. It's not activated because you can set the speed of the car for it to engage at. Take caution that some dealers may want to try and charge you for this. Many reviews in these boards have been able to get it done. Search the rest of these reviews regarding "Hyundai Sonata"
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    So buy one on EBAY and get someone who knows something to install it for you.

Installation even with the light takes less than 45 minutes - start to finish.
  • cametercameter Member Posts: 1
    I got the "Premium Sound" package with my 06 Sonata. It has the 6 disk changer better speakers (it was packaged with the Sunroof)I would like to install an in-dash navigation system with sattelite radio. I know this will probably require removing my current radio (which isn't so premium anyway since the regular radio is sattelite radio ready, and the premium is not) Has anyone done this? How do I know what kind of in dash system will fit my car?
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    www.crutchfield.com
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Yes...you can replace the factory head unit with little to no problems. If you're handy then it won't take much. I had an 02 Sonata that I replaced the head unit with a Kenwood double din unit. Crutchfield said it wouldn't fit, however after filing the edges of the opening on the back side of the panel...the radio fit with no problems at all. When I traded the car in, I put the factory radio back in and you couldn't even tell it was taken out.

The best thing to do is to pull the panel and measure the opening, then pay attention the measurements of the radio you're buying. If you're getting a regular single din radio...a vast majority of those will fit with no problem at all as you would be using a dash kit. If you go with a double din, make sure to take a look at the measurements to see how close to the factory radio they are. If they are close, you can make it work!

Usually...Crutchfield is a pretty good source to find out if a particular radio will fit in your car.
  • flatibbyflatibby Member Posts: 28
    I just recently purchase a 2007 Sonata SE and I saw in the showroom a few weeks after my purchase a woodgrain steering wheel in a souped up Sonata GLS.
    Where (Besides the dealership) can I find one of these so I can swap out my stock steering wheel for the woodgrain version?
  • imn2sonataimn2sonata Member Posts: 1
    Crutchfield is a nice option. You can replace your existing "premium" unit with a head unit that has a motorized screen that moves out and up. But if you want a true indash unit then you want this...
    link titleOf course you would then have to get a remote mount navigation system...
    link title as well as another stereo.
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    Looks like some nice stuff! Not sure I see the value in the monitor though.

Thanks for the link :)
    Has anyone installed ultrasonic back-up sensors in their 2006-2007 Sonata rear bumper? I am thinking about doing this as the kits are relatively cheap...less than $100 for a nice one, but was curious if anyone has attempted this to date.

Thank you
    Does anyone know how to take the front grill off of an 06-07 Sonata? I checked the HMAservice website and really doesn't provide enough detail to get it off. I tried today and stopped because I was afraid I was going to snap something.

Thanks
    Anybody have any information they can share on posts 74 and 75???

Thanks, in advance, for your time and comments.
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I have been trying to find winter rubber floor mats for the Sonata bot can only find them from the Canadian business. Anyone know if they are here in the US or how to contact the Canadian location to order?
    www.mats.com has exactly what you are looking for. I just looked them up.

http://www.weathertech.com/store/vehsearch.asp?item_group_id=3&make_id=22&year_n- o=2006&veh_id=290&veh_opt_choice_id=0

If the link above works, it will take you right to them.
  • 1pep1pep Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to program a keyless remote for a 2004 Sonata GLS? I can not find the Central Locking Signal Control Module like my instructions tell me and now I am questioning whether it can be done or not on a 2004 Sonata unless I take it to the dealer. Thanks
  • oztiboztib Member Posts: 4
    I asked the question of Alpine Developments today in regard to availabilty of a blower kit for the 3.8.
    They do alot with Hyundai and supply turbo and blower kits for nearly all the Hyundai range.
    I will probably wait ages for a response but you neva neva know if you dont have a go.
    Are there any other forum users that would be interested in a bolt on supercharger kit for their Azera....this would probably include the Sonata being the same engine configuration with the exception of 600cc.

I will post this thread on the other Edmunts site to boot....Sonata
  • rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    Recently installed a ProClip mount for my Garmin GPS. The mount I installed consists of two pieces (a car mount and a device mount). The car mount is made specifically to fit into a vertical and horizontal gap on the dash of a 2006/2007. The device mount that I attached to the car mount is designed to hold any Garmin Nuvi or Street Pilot. It took me only two minutes to install.

ProClip made these mounting devices. In addition to GPS mounts they also make mounts to hold cell phone and mp3 players.
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Do you like it? I used a GPS in a rental once and it took me the long way to the Indianapolis airport. I made (thought I followed directions) a wrong turn on the way. :mad: Man was I glad I made it there in time for my flight out. Thanks to the GPS though. :) :O

I'd made that trip a hundred times before in the past, albeit a different route, but thought I would follow directions. :cry: Never again on a familar route.
  • wanna_azzywanna_azzy Member Posts: 41
    I just installed a new audio remote that allows changing stations and tracks on CDs. Not a hard job, but it takes time. Parts are from dreamka4u.com and cost $63. I think it was worth it. Installed on an '07 Limited Ultimate, pre-XM.
    Hey Craig!.... I've had a Garmin C340 GPS for sometime now. I've notice that the GPS systems doesn't always know the "BEST" route, but it definitely will get you to you destination eventually. Also depends on how recent the maps are that are installed. Some options on mine that can affect the route are such as "quickiest" or "shortest" route. Also the option to eliminate toll roads or hwys etc.. After entering you destination, you also can return to the main menu and select detour and it will detour you with a different route. Hope this was helpful for you.
    I'm gonna assume the head unit in your Sonata was a 6 CD changer?? This is because I've last read that this easy upgrade wasn't possible with the single CD head unit. I've also ordered the parts, but haven't bothered on the upgrade since I haven't heard any news that it's a definite possiblity for the single CD unit, which is what I have in my car.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I don't have a navigation system but have heard that Garmins, at least in the nuvi series, can be updated with the latest info through you computer. Good Luck.
    That is true with the Garmin GPS. I've updated the software on mine 2 times since I've had it. You can also register it and they will email when there are updates available. Keep in mind, these are updates for the software, not the maps! That cost extra to update!
    As pekelpd said Garmin map updates cost money. They sure do - $75.00 + sales tax if applicable. Anyone interested in map update information for their Garmin can find it here If you don't already have the most current version, I wouldn't order it now as they are due to come out with a new version soon
    The 2007 Sonatas with XM radio also includes a tire pressure sensor system. Does anyone know if this system can be retrofitted to earlier Sonatas, and if so, how and at what cost?
    Does anyone know if a cassette player is available for the new Sonatas? Thanks
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    The Santa FE 3.3 V6 at 242HP has about 8 more HP than the Sonata's 3.3 V6 at 234hp.

Can the Sonata's 3.3 V6 output be increased by 8hp by a proper CPU reprogramming? Would the dealer know and be willing to do so?
  • sonotaownersonotaowner Member Posts: 18
    Hi,

I live in Canada, so I'd like to know where you found those winter mats.

Thanks
    Hi,

Did you get any further response to your question?

I've got a single CD head unit too & would like to install a radio/CD remote.

Let me know if you hear anything.

Thanks.
    Hi,

I'm interested in these as well. Have you heard anything more about them?

Tks,
    Has anyone installed the Euro-style LED taillights sold on the internet? If so, what is your opinion of them, and are they quality units?
    If anyone has mud guards for a 2007 Sonata, I would be interested in buying them.
  • robert1955robert1955 Member Posts: 39
    http://www.hyundaioemparts.com/Sonata_MudguardFront06-7.asp
    http://www.hyundaioemparts.com/Sonata_MudguardRear06-7.asp
    You can get these shipped for $55 but my dealer quoted me $60 at the parts counter.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    I want some mud guards, too. My dealer just quoted my $80 for the pair. Installation is extra. They also want $78 for the cabin air filter. This price includes installation. Don't these prices seem a bit steep? Guess I'll get mine online and install them myself.
  • robert1955robert1955 Member Posts: 39
    Don't pay the dealer to install the cabin air filter. It is right behind the glove box and your owners manual tells you exactly how to do it. You can get the filter from your dealler for about $38 or buy aftermarket for $18 or so.
    I got mud guards for $51.17 delivered from www.autowebaccessories.com in only 3 days. Very pleased. :)
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Thanks! I'll order from this company.
  • effect18effect18 Member Posts: 41
    I'm looking into buying some new mudguards and a cargo tray for my 2007 Sonata. Buy I have a question. A few of my friends (one has a 2007 Maxima and the other a 2006 Solara) both have mudguards but they're mudguards match the paint of they're car. I've looked all around on websites but all they offer are black mudguards. Had I got them installed at the dealer, would they have matched my paint(which is silver by the way)? Or would they have been black? Anyone who had they're mudguards installed at the dealer please help with this one.

Not that I have a problem with the black mudguards, actually I think they accent the rest of the car nicely and go well with my black tints.
    OEM Hyundai mud guards are black.
  • jacknzonejacknzone Member Posts: 82
    I am look for Black body Headlight, The only place I can get them is the US, My car is right hand drive .My main concern is how far to the left can the beam be adjust, They should fit on the car ok so I been told. I can't get any Clear tail light has anyone seen any . Cheers Jack :)
    I would like to install a power seat on the passenger side. Has anyone tried this? Where do I find parts? Can I just replace the current seat platform with a power seat platform? :confuse: