Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• falvarezfalvarez Member Posts: 5
    I agree...so far no luck...if nothing else...I will heartily not recommend any Hyundai or Kia to anyone only based on how poor their dealers are. They already lost one sale..my sister purchased a Toyota Camry over the Sonata just because I told her about this...she actually liked the Sonata better...
  • miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    you had your Sister buy a Camry which she spent Thousands of extra Dollars for, when she liked the Sonata better?.

I just got back from a Service related visit. I am treated like Gold at this brand new Store, and I didn't even purchase my brand new V6 LX Sonata there. I will absolutely reccomend this Dealer, and Hyundai in particular. Why not trade in your old Korean LX, for a new American one?. They're spectacular :shades: !
  • floyd4floyd4 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know why a 1998 Sonata with 92K miles on it would read on an OBD inspection NOT READY? Please respond if you have any info
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Hyundai or Kia to anyone only based on how poor their dealers are.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's entirely possible there are bad Hyundai/Kia dealers, because every make has bad and good dealers. My Hyundai dealer happens to be great. That's a good thing to know in case I ever need service.

There are also good and bad customers. The bad ones burst into the delaership spewing venom and making unreasonable demands like spoiled children. I'm sure the dealers would rather take care of their good customers first.

Also, avoiding a great car for an excellent price because of 1 bad dealer doesn't make sense. There are always other dealers.
  • falvarezfalvarez Member Posts: 5
    You know you're right...thats why I call, try to make appointments...try to stay in contact and never yelled at them the entire 3 years I've been having this issue...there are good and bad dealers...unfortunately the only one in my area is not good and Hyundai as a company doesn't particularly care either...too bad...they do have good products...they just don't know a thing about customer service...does anyone out there know what a "thermister" is? I probably spelled it wrong...know this is what they say is wrong with it
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
  • booth99booth99 Member Posts: 5
    I noticed the EXACT same thing about 30 minutes ago. I don't know if it is normal, but it is going to drive me crazy until I find out.
  • hdsithdsit Member Posts: 58
    I have the same on my 3.3:
    If the engine warms up at idle - not driving the car there is nothing to hear - either just after the engine is started or 5-10 min after.
    If i drive in the car, then after approx 1-2 km there is a very annoying metallic ticking sound (seems as it comes from left in the engine).
    When i hold at a traffic light, people are turning their head, and think that i'm driving a diesel-car...
    When the engine is warm - it dissapear more or less, but not totaly.

The nature of it seems not to be valve related (just sounds so).
    Had the car to a dealer a couple of dealers , and they said that it would be very difficult to figure of what is causing this sound. I have also tried another similar 3.3, starting it from very cold, and here there was nothing to hear at all. - Some have it, some dont.
  • egarcia52282egarcia52282 Member Posts: 23
    I have gone to a dealer and test drove three different Sonata LXs. All three had the clicking sound to some degree. If you don't hear it, it's probably b/c you are in a place with a lot of road noise. If you park it in a garage and rev the engine to 1000 RPMs (in Park of course), you will hear the clicking sound. I know of at least four other Sonata LXs that have this sound as well. I took it to the dealer once a long time ago, and they couldn't hear it themselves (probably because the shop was too noisy). It doesn't seem to affect performance, but I haven't driven a Sonata without the clicking sound, so I don't have a car to compare performance with effectively. Let me know what you find out.
  • booth99booth99 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the replies. I feel a little better knowing that this may just be a normal operating sound of this engine. I have been a mechanic(Aircraft) for the last 14 years, I tend to nit-pick over little things.
  • jimstrenkjimstrenk Member Posts: 56
    For the last two weeks or so, the climate here in Chicago has been wonderful, with temperatures in the 70's. :shades:

Since it hasn't turn hot yet, I'd like to drive my 2006 Sonata LX with the roof open and the A/C off.

Normally, I use the automatic setting and leave it at 70 degrees. Today, it's 75 outside, so I turned off the entire system. However, the compressor was still running, though intermittently. :(

I even set the temperature to 85, think that would turn off the compressor. That didn't seem to work either.

Even with everything off, cold/cool air was flowing through the dashboard vents.

What settings are required to have fresh air pass through the dashboard vents without the compressor going on?

Is this possible? :confuse:

I simply want "vent air" going through the car until it gets warmer.

Any tips, suggestions or answers would be greatly appreciated! :blush:
  • miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    Great questions. I live in a swamp area, and have to run the A/C almost all the time. I have yet to figure out the auto climate system, never did in my last car either. That one had a mind of its own though. Interestingly I brought my Manual to read up on this subject again. I'm not sure I know how to just use the fan?. I will know more soon, don't wait for me to post back though!
  • larry1135larry1135 Member Posts: 43
    I wonder if you might be hearing the electric radiator fan going on intermittently. Maybe you can investigate that with the car parked. Have the hood open start the car see if the fan is off when it sounds like the compressor is on see if it is actually the radiator fan.
  • larry1135larry1135 Member Posts: 43
    I had been told at my dealer that the clicking or ticking noise was the fuel injection. Not sure if this is true though.
  • jimstrenkjimstrenk Member Posts: 56
    I thought about that. I forgot to mention that while out today, when I got to my destination, I did open the hood and heard the compressor click on and off. I also checked the Low Pressure Line from the condenser, which was quite cool. If I'm not mistaken, I had set the temperature to 85 and set the Fan to Off.

I shall take some notes over the next few days to see what settings would be needed to prevent the Compressor from activating. I'll report back in a few days or sooner, should I figure out what settings would produce "vent air" come through the dashboard vents.

It would seem from my observations so far, that Temperature Dial should be set at or above ambient air temperature as reported on the Automatic Climate Control Display and the Fan set to a manual speed setting, to eliminate Automatic Control.

I should also like to point out that I recently had to have the Ambient Temperature Sensor replaced. It would appear that I'm not the only one that has experienced faulty readings with that sensor.

HMAService.com has recently published a Technical Service Bulletin dealing with replacement of faulty Ambient Temperature Sensors.

I'm also scheduled for a 6K mile check-up. I shall be asking the service advisor to have a technician check the sensor for fault codes. I suspect I'll be asking either he or someone else at the dealership as to how to set the Automatic Climate Control for "vent air".

Thanks Larry for your quick reply and suggestion! It is appreciated! :D
  • suzi4suzi4 Member Posts: 3
    Mu husband and I recently purchased a 2006 Sonata GLS. We are experiencing the same gas tank noise, especially when the tank is full. It becomes less evident to me as the tank empties. Does anyone know if Hyundai is REALLY looking at a fix for this problem and where can I get more info on the supposed lack of a baffle in the gas tank, or lack of bushing between the tank and the body of the car? My husband also feels it might be a suspension problem. We have had the car back to our dealer and have been told that they can't take the car back due to this problem but they are aware (they insisted that not too many people have complained) of a problem and they will come up with a fix but not too soon. I have gotten used to the noise but it is driving my husband crazy especially when he drives the car on longer trips. Otherwise I really like the car. We had traded in my Santa Fe (which I loved as well) for the Sonata to lower our monthly payments.
  • usds2006usds2006 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 kia rio5 which has the same drivetrain as an accent. I have that sound also untill the car is warmed up. It only happens when its been siting off for more then a few hours. It is normal that noise is the valves. The cause is lack of lubracation. My suggestion is to use synthetic motor oil. It will stop it trust me I know. I have owned many mazda miatas which have big issues with this problem. Mobil 1 stoped it. Also yes the ignition system does make a quick and consistent clicking noise. But every car I have owned if I pop the hood it does this.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "...does anyone out there know what a "thermister" is? I probably spelled it wrong..."

A thermistor is a an electrical resistor whose resistance value varies inversely with temperature - in other words, its resistance drops as it's heated. Thermistors can be used in a variety of ways to measure heat or control other electrical devices according to temperature.
    "...the ignition system does make a quick and consistent clicking noise..."

Current and recent past Hyundai engines have no mechanical switching components in their all-electronic ignition systems, so I have no reason to rely on that statement. (unless there's an ignition coil or cabling insulation defect that's allowing a direct spark jump to nearby bare metal...) A subdued, but sharp "pop" (somewhat reminiscent of valve clicking) is more likely the solonoid-actuated fuel injectors going about their normal business. (The Bosch injectors used by VW exhibit a very characteristic "pop" in opertion.)

Startup noise in engines which are equipped with hydraulic lash adjusters is basically insufficient oil pressure due to too heavy a viscosity motor oil for the current ambient temperatures. If the noise is present more than several seconds, the oil should be changed one or two viscosity grades lower.* More specifically, in areas in which temperatures routinely hit or go below freezing, 5W-30 viscosity motor oil, or lighter, is probably a wise choice. In my area, in which it's very rare to even get down to +40 deg. F., I've had no problems with 10W-30 viscosity conventional motor oil. A defective or poorly designed bypass valve in spin-on oil filters can also contribute to startup noise. Within the past year, Hyundai issued a TSB about this potential problem and dealers were instructed to change the oil and replace the oil filter (at customer expense) for owners complaining about a "knocking" sound at idle and who used aftermarket-brand oil filters. Some have also expressed concern that Fram oil filters, specifically, are suspect in this area. I've used "Wix", "Purolator", and "Champion Labs"** made oil filters under a variety of store-brand names with no noise problems on my Sonata's 2.7L V6 engine.

*According to my owner's manual, as recently as model year 2003, Hyundai accepted the use of as high a viscosity as 20W-50 for ambient temperatures down to freezing. I'm no engineer, but that's just asking for cold oil starvation trouble. Don't believe it? Put a bottle of 20W-50 in the freezer overnight and see how well it pours the next morning. ;) If there's frost on the ground overnight, stick with 5W-30 or lighter until spring.

**Wix supplies certain NAPA brand oil filters, Purolator supplies Pep Boys' "ProLine" oil filters, and Champion Labs supplies WalMart's "SuperTech" and Autozone's "Valuecraft" oil filters.
  • bae146bae146 Member Posts: 10
    I have had a few fuel injected cars that have the same noise as well and it was the injectors. The multiport fuel injectors are of a solonoid design. If you were to remove the plastic cover off your engine and put you hand on an injector while it is running you should be able to feel the pulsing. If it is the same speed and duration noise you are fine. It is difficult to be sure as I cannot hear the noise from here. I will let you know what noise mine makes on wednesday when I pick up my new sonata V6. Nit picking in the aviation industry is a good thing. Keep it up. I am in the same line of work and I am sure glad auto mechanics dont fix planes as there would be a lot of dead people if they did. ;)
  • refllxrefllx Member Posts: 4
    I've had this same question regarding keeping climate control off at will, such as with the windows open. The owner's manual is lacking in that area. I have unsuccessfully searched the net for generic climate control manual operation info and would be interested in any insight from anyone. Seems like such a waste of gas to just leave it on auto even with the windows open. Hyundai should take an interest in clarifying this as a good corporate citizen with thousands of Sonatas sold and gas supply and prices as they are.

You say... "It would seem from my observations so far, that Temperature Dial should be set at or above ambient air temperature as reported on the Automatic Climate Control Display and the Fan set to a manual speed setting, to eliminate Automatic Control."

This is the way I operate my LX most of the time with it giving forced vent air but I am constantly fiddling with the digital temp control when in manual mode to keep it even with or within just a few degrees higher than the outside air temp display because the heater is also mixed in by that same temperature relationship.
  • pruoffpruoff Member Posts: 18
    Bad gas can definitely be ruled out. My husband fills his car up at the same gas station. His car (with over 100,000 miles) runs great. My runs like a piece of junk.
  • slm1slm1 Member Posts: 28
    I agree, it is not the gas. Hyundai is inconsistant manufacturing their cars. They say the 4 cylinder has a vibration characteristic, but I have read on the 2006 forum plenty of complaints from GLS, XL and V6 owners about vibration. Hyundai is selling cars because of good marketing. That's pretty much how I ended up buying a Sonata. I needed a new car and the t.v. ads claimed to have a warranty like no others were offering. This appealed to me to buy. But once I needed my car repaired, they skirt around the warranty by saying they don't agree with the problem. Hyundai builds junk cars and does not stand by their warranty.
    I agree, it is not the gas. Hyundai is inconsistant manufacturing their cars.

It's almost like we own 2 different cars. There IS only 1 Sonata, right? :D

Instead of spewing sour grapes, take your car to the dealer, and politely ask... not demand... them to check it out. Believe me, they want you to be satisfied as nuch as you do. It's in their best interest too! If you act hostile don't expect much help. Many people just can't deal with hostility and will try to avoid you.

That said, some dealers are pretty sad. It's not a Hyundai thing. It's an industry-wide thing. My dealer is fantastic, but yours may not be. In that case, take your car to another dealer. Or tell your dealer you are going to get the car fixed at an independent garage and your lawyer will send Hyundai the bill. Say all this while smiling and being very polite, mind you. ;)
  • slm1slm1 Member Posts: 28
    Bobad
    First of all, I did not go to the dealership with a hostil attitude, as you assume I did. Also, I did go to 2 different dealerships to no avail. I also have talked to Hyundai's Consumer Assurance all the way up to the CEO, Mr Koh also to no avail. Seems like my experience with Hyundai is not good. I can say how unhappy I am with Hyundai all I want and if you dont like it get off this forum. Afterall it is Problems and Solutions. Get the idea, people are suppose to give constructive help to people who have a problem with their car and need the advise. If you have such a great dealership ~ try spreading the word and mention their name, city and state. This might acually help someone! Get it ~ Problems and Solutions. I have read in other posts people bragging about how great their dealership is ~ Well, let someone else know too. Duh!!!
  • kman54kman54 Member Posts: 12
    I disagree in every way. I own a 2006 Sonata V6 LX and this is a very quiet car. No annoying vibrations in my car and a very well insulated and quiet motor. I do have a little road noise due to the 17" wheels but I suspect that is a characteristic of the larger rims and low profile tires.

My dealer certainly doesnt skirt around the warranty. Heck man, warranty work is a dealerships lifeline, not the sale of the car itself.

Many of us will have some problems with our new Sonatas as in any car by any make. I am just thankful that I do have the 10 year 100,000 warranty that came with the car at no extra charge rather than the usual 3 - 36,000 offered by other makes.

The only problem I have encountered with my new Sonata with 4500 miles on it was a check engine light problem. It turned out to be a crimp in the rubber O ring in the fuel pump assembly causing a very small vapor leak. I sure was glad the emission check light system was working as it is supposed to in this case!

All in all, what a great car the Sonata is! In my opinion at the low prices Hyundai markets their cars combining that with the 100,000 mile warranty, the company would be out of business in a hurry if they built junk cars as you state and they definitely do stand by their warranty in my opinion.

I doubt there has ever been a new product line from a new assembly plant have so few problems as the 2006 Sonata has shown to date.
  • ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    I feel your pain I own a Ford Escape that due to dealer incompetence I had to sue Ford under our states lemon law. Lucky for me I seem to have gotten a really good smooth quiet GLS I4 sonata and haven't had to return to the dealer for repairs. Taking it to another dealer is good advice some are better than others in my case the Escape was fixed by another dealer after I settled the lawsuit with Ford , to bad for Ford there dealer cost them a future sale.
    Bobad
    First of all, I did not go to the dealership with a hostil attitude, as you assume I did. Also, I did go to 2 different dealerships to no avail. I also have talked to Hyundai's Consumer Assurance all the way up to the CEO, Mr Koh also to no avail. Seems like my experience with Hyundai is not good. I can say how unhappy I am with Hyundai all I want and if you dont like it get off this forum. Afterall it is Problems and Solutions. Get the idea, people are suppose to give constructive help to people who have a problem with their car and need the advise. If you have such a great dealership ~ try spreading the word and mention their name, city and state. This might acually help someone! Get it ~ Problems and Solutions. I have read in other posts people bragging about how great their dealership is ~ Well, let someone else know too. Duh!!!

I rest my case.

My dealer is Courtesy Motors in Lafayette LA. I hope that helps. :confuse:
    There was a time when the automakers paid the dealership's full markup on labor and parts for warranty service. Warranty work was, indeed, a life blood, cash cow for dealerships. That's no longer true - most automakers now fix the hourly, regardless what the dealer's hourly is. The result is that dealers tend to look askance at warranty work if they have a thriving aftersale service business. (They're obligated to do it, of course, but perhaps not in the timely manner owners would wish for. Also, does the familiar refrain, "They all do it." ring a bell to avoid the nuisance of what experieince has taught the service manager will be a money-losing job tying up an otherwise profitable lift and a tech or two? From the dealerships' standpoint, why accept 75 cents on the dollar for warranty work labor charges when they can charge their full-bore labor to Aunt Minnie for her off-warranty oil changes?) Fair to owners needing warranty work? Of course not. But the service departments only have so many techs and lifts. Another exculpatory factor is that automakers now like to "pay" dealerships in wholesale parts, rather than dealer markup cash. Given the parts departments at dealerships are rarely anywhere nearly as large as the parts countermen would like, where to put the steady influx of unneeded widgets? And, like it or not, dealerships have ongoing expenses that can only be settled with cash payouts. (Try meeting payroll with three dozen universal joints and four sets of alloy wheels cluttering up the shop floor.) The dealerships to seek out for warranty service are those whose service bays are NOT filled - those dealerships tend to welcome warranty work with the logic that cut-rate warranty work is still better than having techs just standing around taking up space playing Fantasy Football on their cell phones. Also, avoid high traffic time at dealerships. The service writer's apt to be a bit more accomodating on a Tuesday morning than late Saturday afternoon.
  • kman54kman54 Member Posts: 12
    Sounds like you know the business Ray. Thanks for your input. I didnt realize Warranty work was done this way now.
  • tmp0404tmp0404 Member Posts: 9
    Greetings,

I also own an 06 LX with the automatic climate control system, and in reading the owners manual, I am confused about how it works.

More specifically, it appears that whether I use the automatic mode, or not, depending upon what I set the temperature to, the air conditioning comes on. In eastern PA, the outside temperature was about 72, I did not have auto on, using the temperature setting know, I turned it to 68. There was no doubt in my mind that the air coming out of the vents was quite cool, therefore, the air conditioner was running.

On other vehicles that I had, if I was not in auto mode, the air conditioning never comes on, I could set the temperature to 60, but the air conditioning would not come on. Turning the temperature up to 80 would result in warm air coming out of the vents.

Also, in the owner's manual, with the automatic system, it never states the purpose of the AC button. Again, my thoughts were that if I pressed the AC button, the AC would come on, and would be regulated by the temperature setting.

Bottom lines, the AC appears to come on regardless if the system is in auto mode or not, and it sure would be nice if all of us owner's could get a better understanding about how the auto system works.
  • jjelli1jjelli1 Member Posts: 1
    My A/C hasn't worked since about a week after I bought my used car. I haven't had anyone look at it but everyone tells me all I need is a freon boost. So I bought Measure & Charge R-134a Refrigerant & Oil to put in my car. Now another person is telling me that I need to make sure that this can be used in my car. Can anyone give me any info? :confuse:
  • jo1831jo1831 Member Posts: 2
    Posted this message April 25. Need some advice urgently as tomorrow is service and hopefully 'fix problem under warranty' day. Advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jo.

Hi - Bought a 2000 second-hand Sonata last year. The engine started to vibrate a lot in 4th and 5th gears - seller (under warranty) said it was the spark plugs and replaced them at a cost. End of problem.
    Now, about 6 months later, under normal acceleration there are loud noises and a thumping under the accelerator pedal. Had a mechanic friend drive and he said it is only running on 5 cylinders and is backfiring in to the air ???? (sorry I'm not at all mechanically minded).
    So basically it is very unhappy to be driven and will be returning to the seller for work soon.
    My questions are: Do you think the two problems so far are related and what do you think the problem is?
    I'd like to have those answers when I take the car in. Just worried about a band-aid fix.

This forum has to be the best place to ask.
    Thank you,
    Jo.
    jo,

Just a little warning. If your engine truly is missing (not running on all cylinders), driving it can overheat and even damage your catalytic converter. Best to drive it as little as possible until the miss is fixed.
    jjelli1,

I think R134 refrigerant has been the standard for around 10 years. The re-fill adaptor won't even fit the old type (R-112). If it fits, it's OK to use.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Just bought a GLS last week. Sorry if this question has already been posed.

Today was a nice day, about 75 degrees. Was driving with the windows and roof open. Turned on the fan/vent without A/C. I was very surprised that with the temp dial all the way to cold the air coming out was very warm, actually hot. I've owned three cars before and running the fan without the A/C generally blew air just a little warmer than the outside air. Today I even tried pushing the recirculation button so that fresh air was not used. No change in the temp. This air was as hot as the heater in my previous car. Of course, that was in winter.

Isn't this odd? Anyone else have this problem? I'd really just like to be able to blow cool air without the A/C when the weather is cool outside.

Thanks.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You should run it for a while. Some air vent systems get very hot from engine heat and take a while to cool down. And yes, don't do this with the setting on "recirc".

If after 10-15 minutes the air is still hot on a 75 degree day, I'd say you have a faulty heater control valve.
  • silverfox1silverfox1 Member Posts: 91
    Have an 06 Sonata LX and the air conditioner operates when out of the Auto Mode. I thought it would only operate when in the Auto Mode or the air conditioner button depressed. Fan operating and temperature control set at 70. Car is in Wisconsin and 70 degree days are far and in between this time of the year so I am confused why this happens. Any thoughts on the subject out there?
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Interior temperature is usually warmer than outside temperature unless it is the first thing in the morning or the car has been in a garage.

The heat from the son is amplified when it goes through windows. Also, people give off body heat. When a room becomes crowded, the room temp increases. Your car's interior volume is much smaller than a 10 X 10 room. 1 person in your Sonata is about the same as having 8 people in a 10 X 10 room.

I remember a veterinarian saying not to leave dogs in a parked car because they suffer brain damage at 105*, and a car's interior can get up to 105, when parked in the sun when the temp is only 75 or so.

Try setting your temp at 78 or higher. This will keep the A/C from coming on when the outside temp is around 20* cooler. To me, 78 in a car doesn't feel as warm as 78 would feel in a house.

You can verify this buy checking both the interior and outside temperature.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Setting at 78 on auto is ridiculous!

78 is hot! Why sweat to avoid running the a/c.

I would think if the compressor is running in the manual setting w/o the a/c button being depressed that it should go back to the dealer.
    So, if I understand you correctly, there is no way to disengage the A/C compressor cycling in balmy weather? This may explain some of the lower than anticipated fuel economy numbers some owners are reporting.
    Some people like the temp warmer/cooler than others. Maybe if I had the windows up 78 would feel too warm in the enclosed cabin. But if had window(s) open, 78 could be quite pleasant.

The point is, if the temp is in the upper 50's or 60's on a sunny day it is much warmer inside the car. Climate control will call for A/C: any make car or model.

Also remember, since the complaint/concern was that A/C uses more gasoline, that modern cars at highway speed get better milage with the A/C running and windows shut than they do with the A/C off and the windows open.
  • tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    So, if I understand you correctly, there is no way to disengage the A/C compressor cycling in balmy weather?

I can't believe some people are having a hard time using the A/C or not.

Pages: 1-106 and 1-108 explain how to use it or NOT ( Automatically or Manually).

If there are some who still don't get it, follow these simple steps:

AUTOMATIC CONTROL
    PRESS THE TEMPERATURE CONTROL (left knob)for ON/OFF
    (it is better not to use the automatic control for FUEL Economy! So leave it inactive!!! Make sure you leave the temperature as LOW not as a desired # such as 74-75-76 etc... and turn it OFF)

MANUAL CONTROL
    Press A/C to start COOLING
    TURN the RIGHT Knob to adjust the Fan.(increase/decrease speed)

To turn OFF cooling: Press A/C
    To turn off the Fan : Press the Right Knob.
    - A green light indicates that switch is ON.
    - NO Light indicates that switch is OFF.

THESE LAST 2 STEPS WILL STOP THE COMPRESSOR!!!
    MAKE SURE THE LEFT KNOB (Automatic) IS INACTIVE!
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    I can't believe some people are having a hard time using the A/C or not.

Oh, I can believe it.
    Mine is an '05 so climate control might be a little different than the '06. However, as I said before, I like it warm (you might call what I consider "warm" to be "hot"). I read the owner's manual a year ago. There's so much in there that most people won't remember everything.

I might not be doing it "by the book" but have found a simple way for it to work for me...using the same technique I've used in other cars.

About believing some people's difficulty in "using the A/C or not" I agree. Some people don't bother to read the owner's manual Look at the ignorance displayed in the last 6 or 8 months about how a trip computer works. Some people will spend more time on this forum than it would take to get out the book and see what Hyundai says to do.

If these features are new to people and they haven't read the manual, many of them are bound to mess it up.
  • fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    I am quite concern in regards to my color of my seats wearing off. I was conditioning my seats and noticed that the color seems to be fading off the seats. The area that I noted is where the wear seatbelts touch the rear seat top left/right panel. In addition, the drivers’ seat bottom is wearing also. The seats are not cracking but it seems that the color is just rubbing off. Is this a problem with the material being used, we have a 05 Camry and the seats are fine. Both cars have close to the same amount of mileage on them but the Camry shows not sign of seat discoloration. I also checked vehicles with much more seat time and they should not signs of discoloration only normal leather cracking. If anyone else has noticed this please respond, I am heading to the dealer today but if this is something that needs to be address to the manufacturer let, us get the word out to them.
    Hyundai may not use the best quality hides or dye processing available. Additionally, NEVER use general purpose cleaning agents on leather. Use ONLY products specifically formulated to condition and gently clean leather products. Saddle soap is still among the best ways to care for fine leather to preserve and maintain suppleness (though applying it and buffing it down is not one of the more pleasant maintenance experiences a car owner will perform).
    I am not questioning how to clean the seats but why are they discoloring. The rear seats are rarely to never used but the color is disappearing from where the seatbelt touches the seat.

The quality of the hides is not in question but if this is a common factor (seats fading so quickly)I want to know because this is a problem. My family has owned many cars with leather and this is the 1st time I am seeing such a rapid discoloration. This has nothing to do with how the seats or being clean since I used to work as a detailer for 2 years. It something to do with the process or material. With only 18,000 miles on the odo I should be seeing this type of deteriation of the seats. If this is normal, I can only imagine what my resale value will look like.
    It's not that no one reads the manual, it's that the unit does not disengage. If you have a fully loaded 06 with a sunroof try out what is being said. On a nice day set your A/C to 65 (circulate) and than turn it off using the methods as instructed in the manual. Than open the sunroof and windows. You will find that the air coming out of the vents 10-15 minutes later is being cooled by the compressor not just flowing through the vents as it should. It works the same if you turn the temp to hi and shut off the unit also.
    Note: you have to be moving and not sitting still.
  • egarcia52282egarcia52282 Member Posts: 23
    I agree...

It's not that people might not know how to use the system, or don't read, it is that some (at least all the ones I have tested) LX Sonatas recirculate air dependent on the last setting you put on the system, even AFTER you turn OFF the compressor. It is not characteristic of most cars, but the dealer said that it was characteristic of the 06' LX Sonatas (This was a dealer which was NOT trying to sell me a car). He said that the AC system throws out air in order to keep the car well ventilated. If it didn't do that, the windows would be more susceptible to "fogging up". I do not know how true that statement is, but I have had my LX Sonata since 10/2005. I still have this same issue, but it does not affect anything else. After a while, you grow accustomed to it.