Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    Problem could be as simple as getting the tires balanced, also the least costly. Other possiblities could be or a combination of bad tires, bent rims, bad tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings, steering rack, motor mounts.... Find a good tire shop/repair shop to investigate it. Most likely just need the tires balanced which is a few bucks a tire.
  • derekjderekj Member Posts: 3
    After start the car I feel the engine noise was so loud when the car was cold,but when the car becomes warm, the noise will become small. Does anyone can help me?

I checked it with dealer, they asked me to change the air flow sensor, it will cost $400. What if it dose not work? Should I change the O2 sensor too? Or change the car.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Just had rountine 12,000 mi service today.

I took a shot on the nitrogen (nitrofill brand) in my tires, cost $35 for 4 tires. Supposed to be good for 18 months. Supposedly maintains tire pressure better, increasing mpg and tire life. A tire filled with compressed air loses 1 to 3 pounds per month due to "permeation" they claim. In the event of a flat tire, like caused by a nail, they will refill at no charge.

Does anyone have experience with nitrogen filled tires? If so, what was the experience; good, bad or no difference. Would you do it again? I thought I'd give it a try for only $35, plus there is a 90 day money-back guarantee if not satisfied.
  • hotrod54hotrod54 Member Posts: 82
    Because of the molecular structure of nitrogen (so I've heard and read) they will not lose pressure like regular air (especcially as it gets colder outside). Race teams use nitrogen in their race tires; also there is no moisture in the the nitrogen. I want to switch myself. Hope this helps :)
  • timseantimsean Member Posts: 3
    I buy my tires at Costco--they include nitrogen inflation in the price (along with road hazard, mounting and balance, and lifetime free rotation). Just FYI. I do know that some tire stores around here are charging $20 per tire for nitrogen, believe it or not.
  • dncbdncb Member Posts: 70
    On my 2007 Sonata LTD
    Re:creaking seat. Both my seat backs creaked: driver's seat worse. Dealer took off seat back and greased rubber guides for headrests. It fixed the reproduceable portion of the creaking. Now creaking (much less of it) only occurs randomly in start-up or stop. Can't make it creak by moving weight. Frustrating, but minor.
    Re: sunroof creaking/squeaking. Dealer fixed mine by lubing the weather stripping. I'm guessing this will be temporary, but am hopeful I'm wrong.
    Re: transmission lag. Seems just to be a slow engaging trans since all I've talked to have same. Anticipate the shift or drink less coffee. ;)
    Glad to say I haven't experienced your other problems.
  • pboulangerpboulanger Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a new 2005 Camry which has, as many car mfg have, the CVT transmission. The lag is very noticeable. It's a function of this new technology. I have had field reps test the car and there is nothing that can be done. They reset the settings to when I first purchased the car but that didn't help. The Toyota rep told me that the Hondas have tighter CVT transmissions. The engineers need to go back to the drawing board. I was so annoyed with this problem, I was prepared to sell my car and buy a car with a standard transmission. I was seriously thinking of buying the Sonata but if the lag exists in that car, what's the purpose. Consumers just need to suck it up. Not one Consumer Report rating on any car in the past two years has mentioned this problem. Are they really that unbiased?

Paul
  • tmorrow411tmorrow411 Member Posts: 11
    My wife doesn't have an issue with it. Using her natural driving, she takes her time shifting from Reverse to Drive, etc. So I'm not going to pursue it. I guess I just need to learn to be more patient. :)

T
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    I'm at a loss here. Sonata's have transmission lag? My 06 doesn't and I haven't read anything here before about it. :confuse:
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    Right there with you Craig! I have over 13K miles on my 07 now and transmission is a dream...smooth as can be :shades:
  • 1starrider1starrider Member Posts: 1
    i have a HYUNDAI SONATA (1999) with the same Subframe, Front rust where did you find a replacment part at and what going on the HYUNDAI and there replys have you talke to a lemon law attorney
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    "I was seriously thinking of buying the Sonata but if the lag exists in that car, what's the purpose."

Paul,

I suggest you take an hour, go to your nearest Hyundai dealer and test drive the Sonata, and YOU be the judge. Simple.
  • tntbakertntbaker Member Posts: 22
    Finally after 4 months Hyundai has called to say they will reinburse my repair expense. I have not recieved it yet.
    My mechanic located a subframe from a local import salvage yard. I have seen alot of entries about this same issue on several web sites.

I will keep everyone posted when and if they come through with payment. I have maintained a continous flow of info to Hyundai before they finally responded to this obvious defect.
  • tntbakertntbaker Member Posts: 22
    As of February 8th 2007 it took almost 3 months of calling with no response, but Hyundai has Mailed a check to my selling Dealer for my repair cost. They are not offering any explanation for why, but I belive they are trying to cut thier losses. I was not willing to let this drop. I still have my parts and will try to help anyone I can in this issue. I do not believe this is an isolated issue, I have found several entries on this and the nhsta.com site about tjis same issue. I hope this info helps and you can contact me at tntnknb@juno.com
  • dano13dano13 Member Posts: 15
    Just took my 06 sonata 17,000 miles in to the dealer because my head lights will go dim ( JUST A SLIGHT FLICKER ) when driving at night it started a few weeks ago and the dealer said they could find nothing wrong .Well it still is doing it about every 2 or 3 minutes they will go only a little dim and it is anoying to say the least, i try to see if the dash lights flicker but is hard to look at the dash when driving, also it will not do this when sitting in my garage in park on nuteral any one have a clue ?
  • bill304bill304 Member Posts: 18
    -If you have a good digital camera with a short video recording feature try making a clip of it when it happens. Then you can show the service dept, I had problems with my stereo that seemed to only occur when I was alone in the car, a thumping bass noise,there was a minut crack in the cone of a rear speaker.

Another problem I had was the auto-down feature,for the drivers window ,.. the window would go down if you kept pressing the button. They told me my car was ready, same problem.The one touch auto down feature wasn't fixed.
    :shades: Apparently some service techs don't take the time to read the problem or just want to push the repair invoice through and move onto something else. Luckily the dealer I'm at now is excellant and I haven't had any problems since changing hyundai dealers.
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    (also cross-posted on the main Sonata forum...)Last night I backed my '07 Sonata into another vehicle at a local eatery... dang! The good news: no sheet metal or body damage, to either vehicle. But I broke one of the large, curved tail-light lenses, it shattered into a million pieces. Besides a local dealer, anybody have any sources of perhaps an on-line outlet where one could purchase parts like this? Thanks in advance... Mike
  • bill304bill304 Member Posts: 18
    -Go to any car salvage yard, I bought a full size tire/wheel to replace the donut I got on my 2002, any shop can put it on if you can't do it yourself, check a couple places for the price, you'd be surprised how much differance there is between shops.

If you belong to triple aaa look for a service center affiliated with them, or you can always check the BBB for any complaints if your concerned about their reliabilty dealing with the public
    Try e-bay. Lots of parts and things for Sonatas there.
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Thanks for the advice... one more question: does anyone know if the 2006 and 2007 would use the same tail-light assembly? Both year body styles are identical, right? Thanks!
    Yes.
  • hejamadahejamada Member Posts: 5
    Hi Group:
    Posted this ? in meet the members forum, but maybe should
    have done so here. Just purchased slightly used 2006 Sonata,
    not sure what "model" as dealer didn't put it on the sales
    contract. Need to know where i can find it on the vehicle,
    cuz, i want to order custom seat covers for it, and need to
    know model so i order the right set. Thanks to all/any in advance!!
  • nds2nds2 Member Posts: 4
    First, models vary with country. Answers are for US and will be different for Canada etc.

To my knowledge there are no badges on the 2006 US models to designate the model. 2007 models (at least the Limited) do have a badge on the back.

If you have leather seats, it is an LX

If you have cloth seats and fog lights it is a GLS.

If you have cloth seats and no fog lights, it is a GL.
    Very Important!!! Make sure your "Custom Car Seat" covers do not obstruct the Side Air Bags which are mount "IN" in the seat!! I wanted car seat covers for my '06 Sonata since the light interior colors get dirty so easily. I had to settle for a sheepskin "surface only" pad that straps to the seat. Works ok, not as nice as a full seat cover, but it doesn't obstruct the side air bag or the seatback pockets.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Very Important!!! Make sure your "Custom Car Seat" covers do not obstruct the Side Air Bags which are mount "IN" in the seat!! I wanted car seat covers for my '06 Sonata since the light interior colors get dirty so easily

Here's a company you might want to check out:

Custom covers that work with side air bags

On another forum I visit, one of the members ordered custom covers for her Tucson and the covers fit fine, look good, and are designed to work with the side air bags. It's worth a look. ;)
  • bestcardeals77bestcardeals77 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Danp502

Do you know what month you 2007 Sonata was built?
  • hejamadahejamada Member Posts: 5
    Hey, thanks for that info. Now i know......GLS. Sure would make it easier just to put a plate(badge) on like they used to. Thanks to you all for your input. As to seat covers, went to a site called "CoverKing"(?), they supposedly make the covers based on your exact make & model because of the airbag system design, that's why i needed the model. Seem
    a bit "pricey", but material and detail seem to be a strong point. Thanks again guys. Bought the car for the wife, but
    admit, the car seems to impress me just a little. Just hope it turns out to be half the car it's touted to be. Time will tell. Geez, almost forgot, one more "important" thing for seat covers. Back seat.....60/40...70/30??? Sorry to be so seemingly uneducated about what we bought, and could ask dealer, but you all seem to be as knowledgeable, or more, and for sure, a whole LOT quicker with your answers.
    According to the original window sticker, it's label as "60/40 Split-Fold Rear Seat"
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    Hey everyone;

I don't post much - have only been posting significant updates (good and bad) on my bought-new Sonatas (year 2000, bought two identical cars - GLS V6 with package 13) since I got them.

I just had a bit of a nerve-wracker.

One car is pushing 80 thousand miles. Today, my dealer (Fucillo Hyundai in Rochester, NY) charged me $900 to replace that particular car's (1) plugs, (2) plug wires, (3) two oxygen sensors that (3.a) repeatedly fail and (3.b) were replaced at least three times under warranty & recall (before said warranty expired), (4) change oil and filter, (5) air filter, and (6) fuel filter.

The yammering I got regarding the steep bill (add 35 bucks for the rental so I could get to work, too - total nearly a grand for this job) was that the exhaust manifold has to be removed to access three of the plugs and wires.

I need feedback - did I just get taken for a bundle? The more I think about it, the more it seems the answer is "yes."

I would also like some feedback on this "subframe rust" thread I have seen. That thread got my attention and I would very much like to know more given New York winters.

I hate to say this, but while the Sonatas were pleasant and reliable when new . . . I am growing very suspicious that the cars I bought new in 2000 were comfortable, well-built machines that are, from an engineering perspective, absolute crap.

Oh - and both cars have electrical problems with the sound system, too. I have never bothered to try to fix those as the cost is just too prohibitive (the sound system warranty was only one lousy year, per the dealership and the paperwork)

Many thanks,

Sonatabean - aka Mobeen Shirazi, formerly of Columbus Ohio (now of Rochester, NY)
    The transmission speed sensors have also failed twice. The last repair cost $500 for the dealer to repair.
    Overall this car has been dependable, however, I find it hard to believe that Hyundai is so willing to tell me that the frame rust is acceptable. I believe this to be a significant safety issue and found several online entries in regards to the same situation.
    Frustrated

I was trying to find more info on the rust issue as I have two year 2000 Sonatas.

I had a similar failure on the camshaft speed sensor - at just over 3,000 miles in the first year I bought the car.

In a way, I'm glad I don't have a lemon - that other people have similar complaints.

After just reading the last few pages of posts, though, I'm sure I will not buy Hyundai again: back to Honda and Toyota I go.

Feh.

:lemon:
    Sonatabean, what has been your experience with your two Sonatas?

My 22 month old '05 has been fantastic, not one problem.

Take with a grain of salt any individual posts you read here. If there are recurring problem posts, it would be worth looking into. Hondas and Toyotas get regular negative comments inn their boards also.

My '05 Sonata is the same generation as your 2000, but presumably refinements were made along the way. The '06 started a new generation. So much has happened to cars (for the better) in the last few years that comparing any new car to a 7 year old model of the same model is almost meaningless.

Go by your own experience, good or bad, don't let a few unknown posters (some of whom may work for other car companies) convince you that your cars are junk, especially if you have had a good overall experience with them.

Is the frame rust serious or is it surface rust only? How would you have liked to buy a new '07 Camry only to have transmission problems in a couple of months, as many did?
  • bestcardeals77bestcardeals77 Member Posts: 3
    Please help clear up some questions I have with a new 2007 SE V6 Hyundai Sonata (Premium Package) that was bought a week ago (Feb 10th 2007) and only had 5 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase.

1) The driver’s cloth power seat has a big opening in the cloth on the left side that I can put my whole hand in and pull out the wires that go to the power seat. I am told by the salesperson at the dealership that this is the design of the Sonata even though we could not find any other Hyundai cloth power seat that had this opening. Is it normal for the Sonata cloth power seats to have a six inch separation in it’s cloth that you can tear out the foam and wires?

2) The car had a gallon of gas in the tank when I drove it off the sales lot. I drove two blocks away and put 14 gallons of gas in the tank (the most the gas tank would take). I was pulling away from the gas station and this awful noise was coming from the back of the new Sonata. I would lightly step on the brakes and you could heard loud crushing noises and then sloshing noises. I drove the car for another 25 miles and it was clear the crushing noises were the back brakes and sloshing noise was the full tank of gas moving back and forth/ back and forth/ back and forth. I could also hear all the plastic pieces of the dashboard and doors shifting back and forth in the front interior cabin while driving. The salesperson told me again that all these noises were normal, but I don’t remember hearing these noises while test driving three other Sonatas (of course the other test cars didn’t have a full tank of gas). Is it normal for this car to be SO noisy? When the gas level got down below half full most of the noises were what I was use to in my old car, but after filling up the gas tank again the loud noise level came back.

3) How many gallons are still in the gas tank when the gas gauge needle is on “E”? The car has been on “E” twice, but 14 gallons of gas has been the most the car will take at this level.

4) The second day driving the car it became apparent the front end alignment was not right. The car drifts to the left 70 percent of the time and about 20 percent of time will change and start pulling to the right for no clear reason. Only 10 percent of the time I am driving straight ahead without needing to correct the steering wheel. I am consistently correcting the steering wheel so the car doesn’t drift from side to side. I never had to do this with my other cars, so is this something unique with the Sonata that I have to get use to?

5) On the third day I had to use the rear defroster for the first time and discovered that the top 6 defroster lines didn’t work. The service man at the dealership asked me if I had cut the lines because the defroster lines were commonly damaged by owners trying to wash their car’s back inside window. I was never near the car’s back inside window so I didn’t damage the defroster lines, BUT is it possible to damage this car’s defroster lines by washing the window? For future reference, how do you wash the inside back window?

6) Would someone know how to turn the headlights on WITHOUT turning the ignition key (or needing to run the engine)? I never check this while test driving the Hyundai, but discovered it a few days later that I could not turn my headlights on unless the ignition key was turned to “On”. All my prior car’s head lights could be turned on without involving the ignition. I talked to 25 other people who own non Hyundai cars and all these people said their car’s headlights can be turned on without the ignition key. Maybe I am missing something because it doesn’t make sense why a car manufacturer would design a car that made the engine idle when the owner wanted to use the illumination of the headlights.

7) The engine is very noisy and rough running for a car that only has now 250 miles, is this also normal? :lemon: :sick:
    Hey Buddy, you posted the exact same questions in the "Hyundai Sonata 2007" forum. I replied with answers to the best of my ability there. Check them out. And by the way, regarding question 4 of how much gas is remaining, According to my manual, the tank's capacity is 17.7 US gals, so minus the 14 you filled, that leaves you with 3.7 Gals as "RESERVE". Most people will tell you to never let you tank run below 1/4 because at that point you begin to suck up the sludge at the bottom of the tank over the years, possiblily cause clogs in the fuel system.
    some of whom may work for other car companies

I see a VW fan with very vocal views must post here as well?

I am going by my experience, truth be told. The long-term reliability is mediocre in my experience. Having had a Buick, Suzuki, and Chevrolet before the Sonata, all three aforementioned vehicles were less prone to failure and easier on the pocketbook when the failure did happen.

I'm not saying the Sonata is junk.

What I did say was that the design from an engineering perspective is poor. Which goes back to my laundry list and original question (which, I would like to point out, you did not answer).
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What I am wondering is how he knew there was one gallon in the tank, when he doesn't know how much gas is in there when the gauge reads "E". :confuse:

Maybe posting a photo of the big gap in the front seat cushion would help other Sonata owners figure out if this is "normal" or not. I suspect it's not--I never noticed anything like that on the several Sonatas I've test-driven and rented. Nor have I ever noticed the loud noises he mentioned from the back of the car, or all the plastic parts making noise, or loud noises from the engine. The Sonata's V6 was always very smooth and quiet when I drove it.
    "What I am wondering is how he knew there was one gallon in the tank, when he doesn't know how much gas is in there when the gauge reads "E"."

Good point!
    I know this has been discussed earlier but I want to ask the memebers. Our service dept. is now offering nitrogen fill for tires. Charge is $40.00. One year refill free. What does everyone think? Has anyone done it?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    ".....Charge is $40.00. One year refill free. What does everyone think?........."

I think your service department will be very profitable!

BTW is that $40.00 per tire? or per vehicle?

May I suggest you don't use N2 and use air - more profit!!! For a whole year, you can pretend that normal leakage for N2 is whatever they get.
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    Change service department.

The "experts" claim there is no reason to use nitrogen.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    I've only heard a little about using Nitrogen. Does it leak out that much more slowly than regular air? Isn't regular air 78% nitrogen anyway? Are there other advantages?

I would not pay $40 for this service. Air is $0.50 where I go and I only need it about every 3 months or less.
    Sorry.....$40.00 for all four. I might add this is the service dept. for the dealership I work for. They rarely do any of my work needed on my cars.

I'm told N2 is a bigger molecule and will not leak out as fast as NORMAL air. ha ha. Supposed to extend tire wear and INCREASE your gas mileage along with increasing the service dept. bottom line.

I might add I am not going to do it. One of the other F&I guys has an appt. for tomorrow. I guess he has money to blow (no pun intended).
  • fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    From what I hear the N2 contains less moisture than regular and is more favorable for vehicles with TPMS. If you don't have TPMS don't worry about N2 I would fill up with air. And if you have TPMS consider N2 but I think it's just another gimmick to make some company rich..
    I read in the Transportation section of the Chicago Tribune, that all Nitrogen is doing is -- because of it's larger Molecule -- there is less leakage THRU THE RUBBER, but not thru the rim. Either way, it's nothing to write home about.

Unless you have $40 that you need to get rid of.

Why not send them to me?
    When I want to get rid of $40.00 I just hand it to the dealer at the poker table and walk away. :P
    No sense in sitting there losing it.
    I did go for the nitro about a month ago. Price was $35 for 4 tires. 18 months before "recharge" and dealer will re-nitro in the event of flat tire or changing back and forth from regular to snow tires. (I don't use snow tires.) Also, there was a 90 day money back if not satisfied.

With big swings in temperature here, high of 15* one day and high of 48* a few days later, the tires maintain pressure.

You can check the claimed benefits of nitro at "whynitrofill" dot com. At $35 for 18 months, that's about $2 a month. The claimed improved mpg and tire wear, through proper inflation, seemed worth a try.

They also claim tires don't heat up as much on long trips in warmer weather. NASCAR supposedly uses nitro in the tires.
  • jacknzonejacknzone Member Posts: 82
    Air is .50c where I go

You are joking ! you pay for it, well I hope it does not come to that here in NZ as it's still free here and I can pump the bicycle tire too for free but we do pay $6.66 NZD per gallon here (imp gal)

Yes you are right ! I look it up in the Dictionary
    (Nitrogen; gaseous element forming nearly 78 % per cent of air
    $40. for air / .50c For air I with you on this. :confuse:
  • deadwoodydeadwoody Member Posts: 1
    Can anybody tell me where I can get a maintenance manual (Haynes or Chiltons) for a 2006 Sonata V6 3.3L? I like to do a lot of routine maintenance myself and the Haynes manual is very good.
    When I first posted on this over a month ago, I said I took a chance for the $35. There is a 90 day money back, if not satisfied. If tires do indeed lose 1 to 3 lbs pressure per month, one could drive a few months on under inflated tires before noticing the pressure is low.

If you're really interested check out link title.

The statement that "air is 78%" nitrogen is like saying water is 33% oxygen (maybe more by molecular mass). I sure don't want to try breathing water.

Read about nitro in tires, become informed, and then disagree if that is your informed opinion.
  • tkumpftkumpf Member Posts: 27
    Here's a little-known thing that I thought I'd pass along.

Back when gas stations introduced coin-operated air pumps to replace the free ones, they advertised that air was still free if you fill your tank there.

I have continued to get my air free over the years simply by mentioning this to the cashier who then turns the pump on from behind the counter.

Just my 2¢
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    First, you wrote:

"The statement that "air is 78%" nitrogen is like saying water is 33% oxygen (maybe more by molecular mass). I sure don't want to try breathing water. "

I really don't understand this analogy.

Anyway, you could have used my statement to your advantage in your argument: If oxygen is only 21% of the air that we put in our tires, we can see that replacing this small amount of oxygen with nitrogen really does have a large impact.

Moving on, I read your link and I read About.com. Your source has an inherent bias since they make money on nitrogen fill.

From these two sources, it seems that using pure nitrogen does have many advantages: Doesn't seep out as fast as air, doesn't contain water that can promote wear, doesn't get as hot as when using air, ... And your $35 also bought you road side service, hazard tire warranty, discounts on hotels, etc. Hmmm. If nitrogen is so great, why do they need to provide all these other benefits with the service contract?

Nitrogen may indeed be worth $35/year. I'm not 100% convinced either way yet. However, eventually you'll need to add more air or nitrogen to your tires. Will the nitrogen filling station be conveniently located when you do? Maybe it's near your home. Maybe it's not. That's another factor for me.

Finally, About.com had this to say as part of their section on nitrogen fill:

There's significant debate about the value of filling your tires with Nitrogen. On Eng-Tips Forums, a web board for engineering professionals, the "Nitrogen filled tires?" thread is full of passionate discussion, most of it quite skeptical about the practical benefits of the practice. The consensus opinion on Eng-Tips Forums seems to be that the benefits of Nitrogen are largely academic -- tires are engineered to be filled with ambient air, wheels are designed to cope with the moisture that air carries, and the benefits of Nitrogen, in real world applications, though real, are not worth the cost.

So for now, I'm still leaning toward the use of regular air. Maybe in the future there will be enough evidence to sway me the other way.