Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dbailey348dbailey348 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your input. I spoke several times with the service manager and he finally called me back stating that I was correct and that this is covered under the extended protection plan that i purchased for $900 when i bought the car. He stated that they just repaired another car and it was $2000 when all was said and done and Hyundai refused to pay. As for your questioning how the car was taken care of. It has been garaged since it was bought and was washed frequently. Moreso in the winter. Like I said before the rest of the frame and underbody are tip top so no i don't think a car with 7 years and 90,000 should be rotting at the frame unless there is a design flaw.As for the inspection it is yearly and I too wonder how this passed last year and now there are holes and cracks in the subframe. In my opinion and from what I have seen this is definately a flaw with the design. In anycase anyone that bought the EPP when purchasing the vehicle is covered including the rental.
  • bozybozy Member Posts: 8
    I didn't purchase the extended protection plan but I plan to keep after Hyundai until they make restitution for this design flaw on the sub frame. I too have taken extremely good care of my vehicle since it was purchased new ( including frequent undercarriage washes ). Inspections are done at least once a year under NYS law not to mention the oil changes every 3,000 miles. Nice to hear that Hyundai did this right thing by covering your repair.
  • aalsherriaalsherri Member Posts: 68
    The mileage on my 2007 Sonata I4 is about 7000 miles so far. I didn't remember that I heared any knocking sound till I filled the tank (87) at a Kroger gas station few days ago. I bought from the gas station many times before without any problems. The knocking sound starts under hard acceleration. I have no idea whether the gas is bad with lower than 87 octane level or I need to use 89 or higher grade. Did anyone had a problem like that?
    Next time I will purchase a higher octane grade and see what will happen.
  • dbailey348dbailey348 Member Posts: 3
    Well goo news, the extended warranty did cover the rusted subframe as it apparentky is faulty and SHOULD NOT have rusted out so soon. The best part is they got it done a day earlier than expected and not a dime out of pocket including the rental. To anybody without one good luck.
  • aalsherriaalsherri Member Posts: 68
    I filled the tank with premium 93 gasoline and the knocking stopped even under hard acceleration. I have no doubt that many gas stations sell gasoline with low octane levels. To be safe, I recommend using 89 or higher gasoline. 87 gasoline may not be a good choice unless you are sure that the octane level is at least 87.
  • bill304bill304 Member Posts: 18
    I always thought gas was gas. I live in Delaware but would visit NJ and stop at generic gas stations to fill up because on average priices were 12-20 cents less per gallon.

After five years I needed the throttle body and the fuel injectors cleaned. I was told these stations purchase gas that is "older" and have less detergant in them than brand name gas stations.

Another thing the tech dept stated was that the cheaper gas was older and could have accumulated impurities. I'm not sure if I got suckered but my mpg average went up from 17 mpg average to 21-22 after the service was performed, any thoughts on this ? By the way I have a 2002 2.7L V6 ,52,000 miles

I'm considering selling the car because since the 2006 Sonata came out with many safety items-ABS/ESC/traction control, six air bags standard..and wanted to know WHICH of the web sites that give prices for private sale vs trade-in to a dealer are the most accurate, NADA/KBB/Edmunds,etc.

The same thing goes for what to pay to a dealer whether it is brand new, a low mileage demo etc. which site has the best price guideline ? I used Consumer Reports price faxes 2x because they listed if dealers were being given extra incenatives to move certain vehicles.and had the up to date prices for each model/option packages etc, What the dealer paid/ what price to aim for something like Edmunds site.

Also are there any car buying site online where you can submit a request for a sonata/trim level, what you want to pay and get back what the dealer wil accept, OR can they change their price once you get to the dealer ? Or will dealers respond honestly to an email with requests for the same thing or is going directly to the dealer and haggling still the best best even if it is a headache ?
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Check out the prices paid topic here. Those folks have the buying/pricing thing down to a science. Some very savy people there. :shades:

BTW if you get 4 - 5 mpg more after a service...suckered, no, thanks would be in order. ;)
  • toddmerkintoddmerkin Member Posts: 4
    WE HAVE A 2007 SONATA SE FOR ABOUT A MONTH. REALLY NICE CAR BUT ITS TOUGH TO GET ACCURATE INFO ABOUT IT. MY DEALER THINKS IT HAS A BELT AND 60K INTERVAL BUT HYUNDAIS WEB SITE SAYS IT HAS A CHAIN FOR 2008. NO WAY TO BRING UP THE 2007 INFO PAGE. COULD SOMEONE PLS GET ME A DEF. ANSWER ON THIS.

THANKS.

ALSO, HAVE A QUESTION ON THE LITTLE RED BLINKING LIGHT ON MY DASHBOARD. IT BLINKS EVEN BEFORE I LOCK THE CAR WITH THE REMOTE. ANYOEN KNOW WHY?
  • robert1955robert1955 Member Posts: 39
    The 2006 and up 3.3L has a CHAIN and there is no planed replacement time frame. It is a run to failure component.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    2006 and later Sonatas have timing chains.

The little light tells other people (who might be thinking about stealing your car) that it has a security system.
  • eclarkeclark Member Posts: 12
    My 06 Sonata LX has a chain so does your engine probably if it is a V6. 4 cylinder engines have a belt. XG350 w/V6 has belt also. Small light blinks when onboard security is activated. Mine goes out when I insert ignition key and start the engine.
    Cheers
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That is not correct. 2006 and newer Sonatas with the 2.4L I4 have a timing chain, as does the 3.3L V6.
    1. I'd find a new dealer.

2. Blinking light is the Hyundai "security" system working. If your car is broken into five guys jump out of the trunk, kung fu the heck out of the intruder AND call the police for you. Can't beat that!
  • gandb777gandb777 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2007 Sonata GLS automatic with a 4 cylinder engine. Have about 7000 miles on it. Bought it new.
    The engine has become quite loud and has a sound somewhat like a diesel, which I think is coming from the valves or lifters.
    Will be taking it in to dealer in a week. Are the valves and/or lifters adjustable on this engine??
    Thanks gandb777@wmconnect.com
  • jacknzonejacknzone Member Posts: 82
    Hi gandb , Been there and done that !!,I have got a 2004 Sonata 2.4 engine and I don't know if it the same engine , but it sound the same as my one, I have own it over a year and don't plan to sell it ,other than engine sound it makes ,it a great car. :shades:
    Mine sounds like yours sometimes (06 GLS I4 23k miles). The lifters are solid and require shims for adjustment. Please post back what the outcome is with your car.
    Thanks
    Good to see you back here Jack!
    gandb,
    Have you changed the oil recently? As I said above my I4 DID the same. I bought mine used with 13k on it. It was very quiet until I had the oil changed then it sounded like a diesel at times. I have since done my own oil and filter changes and noticed the last two times I did it and put in the required 4.5 qts the oil level always read past the full line on the stick. I changed it yesterday and only put in 4 qts. Guess what....I started it up cold this morning AND NO NOISE. That is the time I hear it the most but can hear it other times as well. I drove around town running errands and it is as quiet as the day I test drove it. Check your oil level. BTW always use a Hyundai oil filter as I've read where aftermarket ones can cause a higher pressure drop causing ticking to occur. Hope this helps.
  • sonata01sonata01 Member Posts: 21
    Can anyone tell me what a P1529 Fault Code is? While trying to diagnose a "check engine" light, my mechanic equipment found this code. After checking the code list, this one was not listed. The only other info he could pull up was TCU MIL Request Signal - can anyone assist with more information? Thanks
  • babygirl1018babygirl1018 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. My husband just had it checked out and the technician told him it is the transmission speed sensor. He was also told that you can only buy from the dealership. Yes mine is also a 2000 gls
  • ej453ej453 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 Sonata LX. The dealer replaced the timing chain a few months ago. It is currently in a reputable body shop gettin some minor dings taken out. They called me and said that the steering column now spins freely. Their mechaninc looked at it and said something like it is disconnected where it connects to the rack and pinion grars (was too angry to really hear what was said). They want me to take it to Hyundai to get it fixed under warranty. I know I am not going to pay for it no matter what happens. but...
    To get to the point, has anyone had any probelm with their steering column? Could something have happened when the dealer took the engine out?
    Thanks
  • neon317neon317 Member Posts: 5
    hi I live in the philadelphia area, and having the exact same problem as you, I did contact a lemon law attorney and found out that hyunda saids that is how the engine is suppose to run, we are in the process of suing hyundai under the warranty disclosure, have a date in december to go to an arbitration hearing. the rough idle has gotten progressively worse in my car, so bad that if I have cd in the side door panel they will rattle, and if you have your hand on the steering wheel it actually looks as if you have nervous problem, I am still fighting hyundai, I feel that if hyundai knew that this engine was going to idle rough they should have made the public aware of it, the sticker that is on the side window when I purchased the car said smooth idling, which they knew was wrong, they just are trying to get over on the public.
  • sonata01sonata01 Member Posts: 21
    I apologize for not remember who submitted the information about the speed sensors. Hopefully, if you read this posting, you can return the information to me. You mentioned purchasing the speed sensors "online". I refuse to pay the rediculous price at the Hyundai dealer, and would appreciate you sending me the site where you can purchase these sensors. Thanks, Tom
    i had purchased a 2005 sonata, has the same problem as you, I have taken the car to a couple of dealers, at first they lie and say they cant duplicate the rough idle, then they say that is the way the car is suppose to run, I am involved with not the lemon law which seems to have failed but now going under the warranty law, but from what I see her hyundai drags this thing out so you get nothing and you are stuck with the car, I am in the process of contacting the attorney general office for consumer protectin and even going to try to see if the news media in my area, would at least notify the public of this problem it seems to me that hyundai doesnt care and keeps making these engines, and once the consumer buys it he is stock with it, of course you know hyunda is so big, they feel they can do what they want
    I am from the philly area, I did try to go after hyunda under the lemon law, but under the lemon law they say that I can still use the car so that is not valid, so what my attorney did was to after hyunda for the warranty law, which also seems to me to be like a job, after over 1 1\2 years I have a date for an arbitration which my attorney said this is the time now we can start to negioate, so guess what they say hyundai will probably offer me $1,000 to $3,000 to settle the case, and the attorney will be paid by hyundai, but guess what they dont want the car, is this a sham, I miss many days from work because hyundai didnt even bother to show up for appointments and they offer me $1,000. there has to be some law that a car dealer cant get away with this, they make these cars and know there is a problem and dont care, because they know they are bigger then the consumer, Hyundai doesnt want to have recall on their four cyclinder engine could you imagine what it would cost them so they just keep making these inferior quality cars and know they dont have to worry about it. I am in the process of contacting the attorney general office for consumer protection and hope to try to get my local news media invovled. good luck with hyundai you are going to need i
    i have the same problem with my sonata, if you attorney wants to go a class action law suit let me know, I am there, my lemon law case has been going on now for over 1 1]2 years now my attorney is saying well you can still use the car apparently, I told her I couldnt let the car sit for over 1 1]2 years waiting for hyundai to do something, if hyundai knew that this problem existed they should make the public aware of it, I am also in the process of trying to contact my local news media
    good luck
    dont waste time with the bbb I did that, it seems the person who rep the bbb is not a mechanic, and there is usually one rep who hears the complaints, and he very well knows the rep from hyundai, even took him for a ride in my car, he saw and felt the vibration, but it seems what they all say it doesnt effect the operation of the car, I am from the philly area, and not only am I stuck with this car, but adding insult to injury had to take time from work and pay for parking only to have the rep say , the vibration is normal good luck
  • tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    Tom,

Thanks for the tips on how to get Hyundai to repair my car under warranty. I've started the process and, so far, am getting the standard "party line" that they are not fixing this problem under warranty and have not paid ANYONE for this repair. When I said that there a number of people out there who seem to THINK they have received a check from Hyundai, their rep politely said she could not confirm that.

In an effort to turn our collective effort into a "movement" I'm posting my Case Number (3162725) here for others to reference. I would encourage everyone who is pursuing this issue with Hyundai to post their Case Numbers as well.

Perhaps we can make it difficult for Hyundai to deny that there are a LOT of us out here.

Thanks again to everyone who is helping with this!

Tom
  • karysmakarysma Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 Sonata SE, with a factory installed alarm. I have started searching for a remote car starter which will be compatible with the Hyundai key fob instead of using a fob included with the remote starter. I have been told there is one pitfall of using an add-on remote starter...the remote starter will only work as far as the Hyundai key fob is set to work.

I haven't come to a decision on one type over another, yet. I think the distance the Hyundai key fob works from will be fine. Is there some information I'm missing that may sway my decision one way or the other? Are there specific brands and models anyone has had good results with?
  • tntbakertntbaker Member Posts: 22
    I can confirm of 10 people who have recieved payment and I know of 21 others who have posted the same problem. I have been work with Mark Cannon from AZ in collecting this DATA, miles and region. I have given my Hyundai claim number to everyone who has contacted me. (544762) It took me 4 months of persitence, but I got them to finally PAY. tntnknb@juno.com

Tom Baker Kansas City, MO
  • elennonelennon Member Posts: 3
    have a 2007 Sonata with 10200 miles, a couple a months ago, while at a red light my engine just cut off. Have anyone experience this, Hyudai could not find any codes. i notice ford is recalling over 1 million cars for a similiar reason.
  • homerjwhomerjw Member Posts: 13
    Hello,

Would anybody know how to change the center mounted brake light in a 2006 Sonata? There is an access hole in the trunk, but, I cannot feel the bulb. Any advise would be helpfull.

Thanks
  • tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    Hyundai Consumer Affairs called me last Tuesday and said that they ARE COVERING my repair under warranty! The case has already been referred to my local dealer and we received a call from them too saying that the part has been ordered and asked when we would like to bring the car in.

This will cover all parts and labor.

I am pleasantly surprised at how quickly Hyundai agreed to take care of this. It took 2 weeks from the time I first contacted Consumer Affairs. I can't thank all of you enough for sharing your experience and pointing the way. I know I would not have gotten this resolved so quickly (and probably not at all) without your help.

THANK YOU!

Tom Strickland
    Peterborough, NH
  • samjonessamjones Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Sonata and it was working great until this morning. On my drive into work it seemed to not be shifting. The rpms would rev then it felt like the car would die. Only to have it lurch forward and start revving high again. ( In the red line at some points) My main concern is when I was stopping at a light and it was trying to jerk forward. When it is in park it sounds fine and the rpms are normal. It also starts fine. You can't tell anything is wrong until you start driving. It effects all the gears from 1st and up. I'm thinking it may be my transmission. Any ideas. I'm scared to drive my car home and I can't get a mechanic on a sunday around here. Has anyone else had this problem? :confuse:
    1. Check the fluid level.
    2. Call a tow service.
    3. Call a cab.

I wouldn't drive this car.
  • patches1759patches1759 Member Posts: 2
    My '02 Sonata began to shift real tough from PARK to DRIVE. Today it won't even start. Could it be an interlock related to the brake system and/or shift mechanism?
  • xmercurixmercuri Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 Hyundai Sonata trunk keeps popping open. I have taken it to the shop on about 4 different occasions now (lemon law time?) and the problem has not been fixed. The dealership repair service says they are out of ideas.

Is this happening to anyone else? It always happens when the car is turned off. It's not the key fob button being pressed, as to pop the trunk that way you actually have to really hold it down. Once, the trunk popped while we were on vaca for a week and the light being on drained the battery.
  • xmercurixmercuri Member Posts: 2
    Oh, and my Sonata (which I bought BRAND NEW) has less than 6,000 miles on it and the shifter needed to be replaced. I would put it in park, turn it off, and try to remove the key. It wasn't acknowledging it was in park so I would have to turn it back on, put it in gear, put it BACK into park, turn it off, and remove the key.

Too much hassle for a brand new car.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Is there an interior trunk opener on your car, on the floor or glove box or ???

I would unplug the connector to that switch and see if the problem goes away.

If that works, go to your dealer and smack them with a rubber chicken

(don't really do that, but it couldn't be THIS simple, could it?)
  • sprayer1944sprayer1944 Member Posts: 7
    i installed window shades on my 2008 sonata to prevent rain water from dripping in my car ,but now the drivers window is wacked out ,when i put it up ,it touches the top and comes right back down again.i have to play with it to stay up.
    is it possible to disconnect the automatic up and down part of the switch?
    my deck lid opens on its own also,any suggestions?
    You bought the ones that go inside the window correct? Take them out and stick them to the outside. Others have talked about having window problems with the ones that mount inside the track.
    Our trunk button is mounted in the door. A Hyundai shop should take this apart and see if that's what it is. If it is, good ahead and use the rubber chicken.
    Hello,

I have a 2006 Sonata, 3.3 L, on Monday the check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer, they cleared the code and then found that nothing was wrong. They couldn't get the engine light to come back on. Tonight, the check engin light came on (again). First time, they said that the code came back as being "System too lean." Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Could it be a sensor?

Thanks
  • autokritikerautokritiker Member Posts: 65
    First time, they said that the code came back as being "System too lean." Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Could it be a sensor?

You can try feeding your engine a bucket - O - fried chicken, and that should take care of the too-lean issue. Just a little automotive humor to lift your spirits.

Too lean means not enough fuel. If you have over 35,000 miles, you should have replaced the fuel filter by now. If you've done that already, then try adding a bottle of injector cleaner to your gas tank at your next fill-up.

Stay away from cheap discount gas, which can clog up your fuel system after time. If you still keep seeing the check engine light, you'll want to have your dealer run a full diagnostic to find the cause.
    Actually, I prefer pizza....

Yes, I had the dealer hook it up to the computer, they have cleared the code, and will do a full diagnostic within the next week. We'll see what the culprit is. I have had the filter replaced, so I don't think that is the issue. I always fill up at the same place near my house. Convenient having a gas station within a 2 km radius. I have not filled up anywhere else recently. I filled up last night, so if the gas was the issue, I don't think the light will come back on. If it is a sensor (like the dealer thinks), at least it will be covered under the warrantee.

Thanks.
  • lmaxicklmaxick Member Posts: 46
    OK, had the same problem , what you have to do is insert the front part of the wethertec thingys as far as they can go into the front part of the molding it has to fit all way in, then pudh the rest of the thing up into the molding make sure it is in snug!!!!! If it still does keep pushing it into the molding until the window finally clears it. Mine work jsut fine now.
  • hotrod54hotrod54 Member Posts: 82
    My center brake light bulb burned out so when I brought my car in for my annual state safety inspection today, I asked the tech to replace it. I too could not figure it out...he said no problem. HAHAHAHA...LOL...lo and behold, yes there is what would seem to be an access hole, BUT IT IS IN THE WRONG PLACE!!!!. He had to cut out a hole dead center below the bulb (in that metal panel) and still had to use a mirror and a tiny screwdriver (for the tiny screws) to get the assembly out. Someone at Hyundai blew this one. :sick:
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Who did this inspection, was it a Hyundai guy or was it someone else, such as a local garage who might not be familiar with Hyundais?

I'd have to get my owner's manual, but expect this bulb changing is expalined there. You may have just discovered the Rube Goldberg way on making a simple light bulb change.
  • hotrod54hotrod54 Member Posts: 82
    This was an independent shop, however, I saw for myself what was involved and could see no other way...there seemed to be no apparent way to remove the housing inside the car. Whatever, it cost $25 bucks including the bulb, so no biggie.
    Ok, for the center mounted brake light on the 2006, you actually access two screws through the trunk. They showed me the two access points. I think it is the only bulb on the car where I'm actually going to let the technician contort himself to change the bulb...it is worth the 20 buck :-)
    So, they have done their checks, it is the O2 sensor. The dealer told me it was either a leak in the Intake/Exhaust manifold (it's not) so it is the O2 sensor. Cost: $300 for the sensor, plus four-five hours approx of labour. Thank goodness for the comprehensive warranttee. It is all covered under that.

Cheers