Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sclark1sclark1 Member Posts: 9
    Hello all. I have this irritating squeaking sound coming from my glove box, esp. when it's in drive but I'm idling at a stoplight... comes back when I hit anything but very smooth road. If I push on the front of the glove box, it stops. It's like the glove box won't close all the way anymore or something (although it looks closed and doesn't come open). What could it be? Can something be tightened or something to make it stop?

Thanks for any advice to fix this annoying problem.
  • mellor_21mellor_21 Member Posts: 8
    k first of all, just cuz a mechanic works for hyundai, or whichever other company, does NOT make them better mechanics. in my experience, regular shops are much more detail oriented and do a more thorough (spell check) job.
    that said.. if a mechanic misses something on a check up and your car breaks down because of it, there's a good chance it will bite him in the butt, so if they didnt do it it was because they were stupid or it didnt need to be done yet.
    the spark plugs and wires in your sonata are chosen for their ability to last a long, long time (usually) the reason is because sonatas are a complete pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to change the back three plugs on (on v6's anyway, i've never played with the other engines)
    k the strange noise could be a few things.. but most likely it has something to do with your belt or ac pump pulley, thats something you want to have a mechanic check since if the belt breaks then you will be stranded (ac pump pulley freezing up will also break the belt)
    the break thing is probably cheap pads, on good pads a good clean will do wonders, but if you drive through dirt a lot it doesnt help much. take my little brothers mustang and my moms sonata, hers never makes a sqeak (spell check lol), but his practically screams. it stops when we (i) clean it, but as soon as he drives up our dirt driveway it comes back. but then again i put cheapo checker pads on it lol
    you should run the fuel filter till your car stops. other than it being punctured straight through by someone, it will not hurt your car. if your really going to be nitpicky about it, just take it to the local lube shop and tell them that you want it changed.. the new filter should tell you how long to use it. btw a fuel filter helps to filter water out of your fuel, whereas theres another filter on the bottom of your pump that filters dirt and that stuff
    hope that helped.. i prolly wont be getting back on this forum i was just looking for the sonata drive cycle and saw your question and figuered i should answer so good luck!
  • bakesaleebakesalee Member Posts: 7
    Thank you so much!
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Try this for your glove box rattle. It worked for another person.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=17330&hl=
  • aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
    I have a 2006 Sonata with 18000 miles on it...in 32 months I have had three problems

First one was ABS module that was malfunctioning (that I have heard from many ppl in the forums) and went on again the second time but this time it was the brake switch that needed adjustment for which i was charged.

last week, I took my car to the dealership because the steering was squeaking and they told it was the clock spring that needs replacing...has anyone else had this problem with the Sonata?
  • aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
    I have a 2006 Sonata with 18000 miles on it...in 32 months I have had three problems

First one was a malfunctioning ABS module (that I have heard from many ppl in the forums) and went on again the second time but this time it was the brake switch that needed adjustment for which i was charged.

last week, I took my car to the dealership because the steering was squeaking and they told it was the clock spring that needs replacing...has anyone else had this problem with the Sonata?
  • bmwconvtbmwconvt Member Posts: 20
    I've had my 09 limited v6 for just over a month and like it very much. Last week the navi started acting up... when it first comes on, it looks like the "fuzz" you used to get when you couldn't get a clear tv station. When the map comes up, you can't see any of the options because the whole screen is white - you can still see the map, but because the background is all white, none of the lettering is visible. All the other graphics are gone. Going to take it in, but wondered if anyone else has experienced something similar. :(
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    I've heard of three people with this exact same problem... Oh wait, all three were you. How many times are you going to post the same thing before you take it in and get it looked at? Mine does not experience this issue.
  • bmwconvtbmwconvt Member Posts: 20
    i was hoping for some help from someone in one of these topic areas... guess not. took it in today and they are going to service it next week. in the future i will refrain from posting any questions here...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We would be sorry if you refrained from posting. Hope you'll change your mind. We'd like to know how it turns out for you.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Somebody just had a bad day it appears. I know what you mean about hoping that someone may have had the same problem and maybe have a quick fix that would negate the necessity of making a trip to the dealer. We all know how pleasant that can be.

However, it can be somewhat annoying reading the same post over and over again. Most people seem to visit most of the threads to keep informed with what is going on with cars so you can usually be fairly confident that your question got read and it's just that nobody has an answer or a similar problem.
  • jdqjdq Member Posts: 3
    I changed the fuel pump on my Hyundai Sonata, which was not necessary for some reason it is not getting fuel to the engine there is no fuel smell in the engine compartment when I am starting it, what could it be? :confuse:
  • robinwarobinwa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Sonata. Last night, both low beam headlights went out. Is it possible for both bulbs to go out at the same time? I checked the fuses and they look good. I haven't replaced the bulbs yet. Is this a symptom of an electrical problem in the car. Both high beam lights work good.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    A friend had a 2005 Sonata, and all the lights on the driver's side of the car went away on hers. Unfortunately, I don't have a good solution for you, as she sold the car because she couldn't seem to get it fixed. Seems like a weakness in the car though.
  • hebrewhammerhebrewhammer Member Posts: 34
    I test drove a 2009 Sonata for the third time. The demo had just under 1,200 miles on it. While going over a rough patch of road, I heard a loud snapping noise that sounded like a whip cracking. Even the salesperson freaked out. We both think it came from the passenger side, but that was a guestimate. It was very loud.

I like the interior of this car a lot. Now, I worry about more suspension issues. Has anyone with the new Sonata noticed any similar occurrences? The car was built in Alabama according to the door tag.

The idle was also rough when the car was in park. This was the inline 4 cylinder. The tachometer would fall to around 8 or 900, and then surge to 1400 or so for no apparent reason. This was after the car was fully warmed after the test drive.

My other complaint is that the steering wheel feels gluey when turning all the way to the right or left. I don't know how else to explain it. It feels like its smooth and then all of a sudden resistant for a split second.

Anyone experience these problems?
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    I have never experienced that noise in my '09 Limited. Maybe, being a demo, it was beat on and something broke. :confuse:
    Cant help you with the noise, but the 4 cyl usually idles a bit rough, which is why I recommend the V-6. Runs much smoother, and only costs you about 1 mpg.
  • jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    I have an 06 Sonata GLS (4 cylinder) with around 44,000 miles on it. I've noticed in the last week or so that there is something "snapping" in the brake pedal occasionally when I press it (kind of like something is binding). It's not the ABS self test, and it has nothing to do with the shift interlock (that noise would be coming from around the shifter -- been there, done that). The brakes are otherwise fine, but the snapping feeling is a bit annoying. I'm having the dealer look at the pedal on Monday, but I was wondering beforehand if anyone else has any thoughts as to what might be wrong.
  • homerjwhomerjw Member Posts: 13
    Hello,
    I have a 2006 with 55,500 Km on it. In the last month, I will get this occasional “thump” when turning the steering wheel while braking pedal. I am now also getting a swishing noise from the driver side wheel well and a creaking noise when reversing. It is the same noise one gets from a train, sort of like a chugga chugga noise when going forward. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    I've experienced a similar "thump" issue while steering quickly at lower speeds. Mine didn't have anything to do with the brakes, though. The dealer replaced the steering rack, although I'm pretty sure it was just something in the system that needed to be lubricated. (I was certain the noise was coming from where the steering system was rubbing against something in the floor board.) As the car is under warranty, I won't complain about the cost!

I'm not sure about the other noises you're experiencing, though. Perhaps you have a bad wheel bearing in the case of the train-like noise.

I guess funny noises and silly little things acting up was the price we paid for buying a first year model (imagine how much worse it could have been if Hyundai didn't spend all that time developing it to begin with). I'm willing to give Hyundai a bit of leeway here because of this.
  • cabbycabby Member Posts: 8
    Hi all. Ive had my 07 Sonata for 13 mos now and have racked up 20000+ miles. My MPG has been decreasing from 24.7 (max) down to 24.5 in the last few weeks. My last oil change man told me I should get my fuel injection line cleaned (at the one year mark of ownership) which could improve my MPG. Is this guy telling the truth? Any suggestions?? thanks!!!
    A 10 basis point decrease in mileage is a rounding error! Assuming you are extremely technical and accurate in your calculations with measured amounts of fuel between mile checks, it could just be the hot weather and more use of the compressor for the A/C doing that much change..... I would not fret. My my, if you're that sensitive, it's going to be hard to define for ya.... ;)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I agree with nybanker. That variation is mileage is statistically irrelevant.
  • cabbycabby Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the replies. How about the fuel injection cleaning? Is this something that should be done?
    Just buy a bottle of fuel injector cleaner for a few bucks and add it to your fuel tank the next time you fill up. It's worth giving a try and costs a *lot* less than the snake oil the dealer is offering!
    that I certainly agree with.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd try a different brand of gasoline just to see what happens--like Shell.

You can use injector cleaner but not that off-the-shelf stuff at Wal Mart, etc. That's too weak to "unclog" anything---at best, they are just maintenance-strength. You'd need something truly toxic like BGK-44 if you can find it. That stuff really wakes up a lazy injector.

Still I must confess you may be chasing a ghost here, giving the slight decrease in MPG over such a short measuring period.
  • bachmandbachmand Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

When reading out the code from the ECU I get a code 41. The engine is not running smooth, but seems to stagger or hesitate at certain rpm's and varying load.

Any suggestions

Regads Jan B. Jensen
  • cace2002cace2002 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 200 Sonata GLS V6. My Fan switch needs replacement and the dealer want $185.00 to do it. I was wonder how hard it would be to access the switch? It looks as though I only need to remove the center dash paneling (wood grain plastic) to get to the switch and pull a few connected wires. If anyone can confirm that the paneling is all I need to remove I'd appreciate it. Also I read somewhere in this forum that the paneling comes off w/ screw driver wedged for leverage to unsnap it from the dash. Is that true? Anyone w/ a shop manual out there?
    Please Advise,
    Carl
  • bachmandbachmand Member Posts: 2
    Hi, have You checked here: http://www.hmaservice.com/

Regards Jan
  • cace2002cace2002 Member Posts: 7
    I requested an inspection by the regional DPSM and guess what, he approved a replacement hood. This time the underside seams of the hood were sealed by the autobody shop that was contracted by the Hyundai Service department to paint and install the new hood.. :)
  • shikashika Member Posts: 1
    i need to know how to grease the rear bearings in my 2000 sonata.
  • kcochrankcochran Member Posts: 6
    shika

I believe you would treat the rear bearings of front wheel
    drive vehicles the same as front bearings of rear wheel drive
    vehicles. Remove and repack.

Larry
  • lilmiss_33lilmiss_33 Member Posts: 2
    I have been having this same problem... and no one can figure out waht it is. It feels like the car is not getting enought gas... my check engine light came on and those were changed and i am still having the same problem.. changed spark plugs and plug wires, still the same issues.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    What does "my check engine light came on and those were changed" mean?
  • lilmiss_33lilmiss_33 Member Posts: 2
    I am so sorry.. apparently my brain was going faster than my fingers... i meant the ignition coils.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I drive with my headlights on all the time. After almost 3.5 years, the right low beam burned out this weekend. I was at the dealer's for an oil change today and asked them to replace the bulb.

They did--no charge! It was covered by Hyundai's warranty. I had never heard of a burned out light bulb being covered by a warranty.

It may be a relatively inexpensive, but I think it says great things about the warranty.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, the headlamps are covered by the b-to-b warranty but not other bulbs (e.g. license plate). The others are just covered under the 12-month warranty. I've had headlamp bulbs replaced for free on both Elantras I've owned over the 5-year b-to-b warranty. In fact, on my current Elantra ('04) that's the only part that's failed on the car in 4.5 years. :)
    Sounds like a lot of headlights burning out. I replaced one on a Buick at about 10 years/105,000 but haven't had to replace any on any other vehicle I've had in years. Usually keep vehicle at least 6 years and most 7 or 8.

Haven't been called popeye lately so I don't think I've missed them. ;)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yep, lots of bulbs. One on my 2001 Elantra in 5.5 years and two (one each side) on my 2004 Elantra in 4.5 years. If that's the worst problem I have (and so far it is on my 2004), I will be very happy. I had to replace two headlamps on my Celica in the first 12 months. Dealer (tried to) install std. bulbs vs. halogens, before I noticed they were not as bright as the originals.
  • nyjahnyjah Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 sonata and I just replaced both low beam bulbs ( not knowing that dealership would do it for me) Now I need to find out how I can adjust them because while driving at night it is still dark....I can not see a thing they point down and a little to the outside. Can anybody help me. I have looked for the adjustment screw but to no avail...
  • nyjahnyjah Member Posts: 2
    Hi I really do not know what I did but I think I have this message posted somewhere else in this forum. But in case I don't I will ask again.
    I changed my headlights in my sonata and now I can not see where I am going. The lights point down and to the outside...I have looked for the adjustment screws but have not found them... Could someone help me Please.
  • oskwioskwi Member Posts: 88
    I have a quick question regarding the TPMS light on my 2007 Sonata. After having the tires changed today, and having a new sensor installed since the tech broke the one, the low pressure dash icon came on, and subsequently went off, and the TPMS light came on and has NOT gone off...yet. Both lights were not/are not on simultaneously. Is there some type of reset I need to do?

Thanks in advance for any information.
  • jayessjayess Member Posts: 59
    Wondering if anyone else has experienced this ? I'd posted in July about the 'need' (?) to replace the rear brakes on my '07 GLS at 18,600 mi...I know :mad: . We began to hear the tell-tale metalic squeel primarily when turning the steering wheek to the right. Took it in and the mechanic and service guy indicated that the rears were worn down, mainly on the left. Being that I was hearing the noise too, which I knew to be the wear indicators and that my 19 yr old was driving the car mainly to her Summer job, I decided to have them replaced and the rotors turned. Since I'd had the car for 18 months there was little hope of having them replace under warranty. Between this and the 2 other Hyundai sites, I found a few other posts about this problem which seemed to indicate that in fact it might be a caliper or piston or rear pad issue needing an adjustment.
    Today I took my '08 GLS, in service 8/15 last yr., in for the 34 point inspection, thanks HMC for the freebie coupon - and asked that they specifically check the brakes. Well...they found that the "rear brakes were sticking in slides causing glazing" they "freed the pads and machined the rotors" this time on the house :)
    I insisted again that this wasn't normal especially for rear brakes and that there was some chatter on the internet message boards about what the problem might be.
    The service guy, who seems to be a genuinely decent sort pulled up the brake job on the '07 from July, printed it out and offered to discuss the problem with the
    RSM who comes in periodically to see what they "can do for me" I made sure to reiterate that I have 2 Sonatas and not just a 10 yr old Accent! He did acknowledge that the wear war on the low side of normal, I told him that he needs to look up to see the low side of normal for rear brakes.
    So - has anyone experiences anything like this from either of these years ? or have another idea of what might be going on here ? On both cars the driving as about 75/25 city/hwy the 08 is garaged the 07 outside and I'm in W. PA w/4 season weather if it matters. We like both cars but this has me concerned.
  • fixitupfixitup Member Posts: 2
    Just experienced the same problem with noisy left rear rotor. There is obvious wear on outer perimeter of rotor. Hyundai dealer says 8.4 mm of rotor thickness is needed, when machined mine will be 8.33 mm, so need rotor replacement. Brakes were checked 5000 miles ago and were ok ( more than 50% wear remaining), mostly interstate driving since then. Don't understand why wear would come so quickly to one side unless there is a problem with something sticking.
  • fixitupfixitup Member Posts: 2
    Just experienced the same problem with noisy left rear rotor on my 2007 GLS. There is obvious wear on outer perimeter of rotor. Hyundai dealer says 8.4 mm of rotor thickness is needed, when machined mine will be 8.33 mm, so need rotor replacement. Brakes were checked 5000 miles ago and were ok ( more than 50% wear remaining), mostly interstate driving since then. Don't understand why wear would come so quickly to one side unless there is a problem with something sticking.
  • robertj668robertj668 Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I am curious what tires you bought to replace your old ones.
    I also have a 2007 Sonata and after only 19K Miles they are needing replacement.
    At about 200 a piece I do not want to get the same ones.
    Robert
    PS the tire I have on there now are the
    Michelin Energy MXV4 S8
    P215/60R16 94V TOY B
    Nothing about the way you drive but I find it really strange that tires on a midsize family sedan would need replacing at 19k miles. I don't think I've replaced a set of tires before 50K in my life and most go to 55-65K. Are the tires that Hyundai uses that bad. I really don't baby my tires either.
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    I've got 30,000 miles on the very same tire and look like I could go another 20K. Must be the roads you drive on. I like the Michelins.
  • robertj668robertj668 Member Posts: 2
    I just replaced them today with Falken Sincera SN-828
    P215/60R-16 95T BLK. They ride just about as nice as the Michelins. I actually only needed to replace the rear ones. (Selling the others on eBay) I did rotate them but for some reason the back pair went very quick in the last months. As for the roads in Texas I drive Highway and in the suburbs, I an wondering if it the temperature here. Gets over a hundred here for a month or so though.
    Robert