Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• krishnakonlinekrishnakonline Member Posts: 8
    Recently bought a 2009 Sonata limited V6 with NAV, ......and now its 350 plus miles and since past 2 days... the engine cries(noisy) like anything....when I start the engine and till the time it reaches 0-35 mph(with jerks while it shifts the gears), it feels like I am driving a used car/truck. Real terrible...no pickup...even if its a V6.

One of the dealers said it needs 89 Ocatne gas....I should not put 87 Ocatne..where as per my user manual... 87 Octane gas is fine.

Where as the dealer from whom I bought the car asked me to get the car tomow. to their service center..... as they said they r going to fix it..if not then replace the car. Where as its not typically expected of a new car if it really passed Quality tests.....

Let me know if anyone had similar problem in the past......??
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's continue this conversation here where you have gotten a reply: krishnakonline, "2009 Hyundai Sonata" #575, 28 Aug 2008 3:05 pm.
  • donnas2in96donnas2in96 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2004 Sonata GLS 4 weeks ago. It has 45K and is a beautiful car. Now all of a sudden last week I noticed a metal clunking noise when I shut the drivers door. I do not slam the door and I am the main driver of this vehicle. I contacted the Dealer and they told me this is not covered under the remaining warranty. I would like to find out what this noise it but do not want to ruin the door in the process. Anyone else have a similar problem? Any ideas on how to remove the door without ruining it? Thanks.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Something probably has come loose inside the door. The door itself will not have to be removed, only the inner door panel. this isn't going to be a big deal IMHO. If you have a problem with the dealer fixing it, you might try a local independent radio installer. They remove these panels all the time.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If the car is still under the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty, then this problem should be covered. If the dealer refuses to honor the warranty, call the Hyundai Customer Service number to complain.
  • donnas2in96donnas2in96 Member Posts: 2
    That's what I meant was the door panel, I don't want to ruin it trying to get it off. There are caps over the screws, is there a special way to get them off without scratching the panel ? We have a cougar and the door panel was a beast to get off because of clips until I was able to find the schematics for the door panel. I have had no such luck finding anything like that for this car..
    The dealer said the bumper to bumper warranty was over and even if was just a simple loose piece they would have to charge me labor time anyway.
  • southernguysouthernguy Member Posts: 5
    My wife's belt came loose on her car... My brother told me to use the nut to adjust the tention arm... I turned the nut on the bottom pully about 3 or 4 rotations... I found out later this was not correct.

I have the belt back on now... but I am worried about the bolt I turned... I can't loosen it up. Should the bottm pully spin freely... and by turning this bolt will it mess up my timing??? I worried!!!

Thanks,
    Jimmy
    We need some more information. What kind of car are we talking about, for starters. Also, when you say that you turned the nut on the bottom pulley, do you mean the pulley on the water pump?
    I have a 2000 Hyundai Sonata 6 cy. I have tried to copy a picture... not sure if this will work. I tightned the big nut on the bottom pully... it will be the one in blue if this works. I guess it is the drive shaft... but guessing. I know the ratchet turned... but the pully may have been turning which made me think I was tighting it. Sorry I can't give you more of an answer.

Thanks,
    JImmy
    No, none of the 3 pictures show up. You need to post them on the Web someplace (e.g. CarSpace or a personal Web site) then provide the URL to the picture, using the Img tag below.
    I have not started my wifes car yet... I would like to know your thoughts before starting it. She will need it tomorrow for work if I don't make other arrangements... your comment would be thankful.

Jimmy
    I went ahead and started the car... The new belt jumped off again back behind the tensioner pulley like it did the first time... I'm about ready to shoot the car or myself... (just kidding)
    Any Ideas before I put more det on my charge card
    Thanks,
    Jimmy
  • roadpilot3roadpilot3 Member Posts: 17
    Can't have to replaced. Had it done to my 200 Sonata front also replaced.
    Whether you turned the crank a bit or actually tightened the bolt in all probability has nothing to do with the belt jumping off. Is the new belt properly routed and quite tight? You should only be able to flex it 1/2" at most. Does the idler pulley turn freely when the belt is not on it?
  • de1029de1029 Member Posts: 52
    I have been told that i need to replace the Bearing & Seals - rear-both (aka - Rear Hub Assembly). Remove & replace wheel hub, rear, both. Parts: 196.39 labor 112.80. total: 505.58. I was told that they could hear the noise coming from the rear. They marked my invoice: System Failure - Required.
    I am looking at my owner's maintenance schedule and don't see it in there. I have almost 110,000. It is a 2000 Hyundai Sonata. Can someone lend a hand...not on the payment! but on just what this is about? Like, will I get in an accident real soon? Are they properly priced...and anything else that can be offered. Big Thanks...Joe
  • bakesaleebakesalee Member Posts: 7
    I have this problem where on the first start of the day, when I put it in reverse (to back out of garage), I hear something light going on under the hood. It's a belt sound I think, NOT high pitched, NOT squealing, just some sort of god...i don't know. Similar to when you turn on the A/C and it sounds like it's "working harder." This sux
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Is this something YOU initiated by taking the car into the dealer for a noise that you thought was in the rear suspension/wheels? If the answer is yes then the resulting investigation into your complaint has been narrowed to worn out rear wheel bearings.Of course the dearer service people may have heard a rough bearing rumble while road testing your car for some other services and mentioned the need for replacement as any competent service people should. These bearings are sealed and as such there is no mention of them in the "owners maintainance schedule" because there is no owner intervention needed..that is until they wear out. Since you have over 100K miles the fact one or both have worn out is not unusual or abnormal. The bearings will gradually (or not so gradually) get worse, the noise will increase until the point at which they will totally fail by (usually) falling apart or possibly locking up. You should probably not be still driving on totally failed bearings but depending on how long this proceedure of failing has been going on it MAY be some time before they disintegrate BUT this is not something that can be predicted with any certainty. I would replace them ASAP (but I am anal about my cars and any potential problems) and as far as price goes well, it doesn't sound outrageous for replacement of both rear hub and bearing assemblies. Hope this clarifies things somewhat.
    Thanks much for ALL your comments. I do believe they took the car out to be road tested before and after they replaced the input/output speed sensors...and heard the noise.
    I had taken the car in for sensor problems - aka, check engine light sysndrome!
    I ouched at THAT cost and was taken aback when they brought up the rear hub assembly...and IT's COSTS!
    It was JUST too much for me to absorb on 1 visit.
    However, I will take it in for this job ASAP because I am MORE anal than you...trust me.
    You provided the kind of information that i needed...corroburated the costs and explained the potential danger.
    I also was thinking about 110,000 miles on car and next timing belt requirement...pretty soon...and that cost.
    Maybe I should just let Hyundai sell me a new one instead!
    Maintenance is where the real costs are.
    Again, THANKS.
    Joe
  • bamawaynebamawayne Member Posts: 1
    When I change the oil in my 07 Sonata I get oil on the plastic cover under the engine, then it leakes on the garage floor for days. Has anyone removed the plastic cover? I would like to take it off and leave it off. Thanks
  • togrovetogrove Member Posts: 25
    hello. i need to do the 15k-mile scheduled maintenance on my sonata. beside a hyundai dealership, is there any other decent place in the midwest where i can have it done, such as a midas shop?

the owners manual says to inspect fuel lines, vapor hose, air cleaner filter etc. wont another car repair shop do a decent job for a lower price?

i had my sonata at the local dealership a couple weeks ago to fix something else, and they noticed that i didnt have the 15k maintenance done. but how would they know? i had normal oil changes done. how did the dealership know that no one inspected fuel lines, vapor hose, etc?

thanks in advance.
    All the dealership would know is whether the 15k service was performed at a Hyundai dealership or not; they track service visits in their computer system. You of course can have the service performed anywhere you wish. If your local Midas shop has good mechanics, go for it. I've noticed some car repair shops in my area advertise that they do the service intervals on cars, i.e. they are "full service" shops. But be sure to keep a detailed record of any service you have done other than at a Hyundai dealership (actually keeping ALL service records is a good idea), including receipts for parts, and be sure any parts used including the oil filter are OEM spec.
  • daveinqueensdaveinqueens Member Posts: 1
    I was at the Hyundai Dealer today complaining about the Brake and Accelerator Pedals. The brake pedal is too high and I asked the mechanic to lower it.
    The mechanic says that it's a new safety feature on all new cars and he cannot lower the brake pedal.

My foot and ankle ache after about an hour of driving. I am so used to simply sliding my foot from the gas pedal to the brake pedal. Now I have to continually raise my foot to reach the brake.

Any suggestions?
  • patches1759patches1759 Member Posts: 2
    Got a strange one. My cruise control does not work when the headlights are on. It's a 2002 (6cyl) w/ 266,000 miles and mostly trouble free. I bought it new.
  • kimweigelkimweigel Member Posts: 43
    Check your rear light bulbs. If one of them is burnt out in such a fashion that it looks like the BRAKE LIGHT is lit, when only the running light should be on (bulb filaments crossed over), it may be fooling your cruise control into thinking that your brakes are on, even when they're not, and you know cruise won't work with brakes on. Just a thought, good luck.
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    Could you extend the gas pedal so it is even with the brake pedal. I assume you are trying to get them even so you do not have to pull you foot back to get to the brake pedal. They do make extenders for short people. I guess they do not want the driver to be able to press both pedals at once so they place them at different distances from the driver.
  • 59er59er Member Posts: 30
    Are there limits on the 5 year warranty in terms of annual mileage? I read somewhere online that the warranty is only good if you keep your mileage under 10k a year but I can't believe that would be the case.
    There is no limit on annual mileage other than the 60k limit to the warranty.
  • togrovetogrove Member Posts: 25
    thank you, backy. i found a local meineke and midas; both would do the 15k maintenance for less than half quoted from a hyundai dealership.

i still have one question - the hyundai owner manual does not say anything about rotating the tires for the 15k maint. so should i get the tires rotated? or should i not? the hyundai manual only says to replace engine oil, filter, air conditioner filter , plus a dozen inspection points.

thanks in advance.
    That is up to you. I rotate tires every 6000-7500 miles or so. But I know some owners who never rotate tires, and they buy two new ones at a time. Maybe it all evens out in the end (no pun intended). I like the idea of having even wear on my tires, thinking it's safer, so that is why I rotate them.

BTW, it is quite easy to replace the interior air filter yourself. I've seen some dealers charge a lot for that service. You can buy the filters online and pop them in yourself. Engine air filters are pretty easy too.
  • kimco59kimco59 Member Posts: 2
    03 sonata in high alttude looses power rpms rev wont go over 45mph until turn off when start again runs fine until next time. its odd cuz it will happen in exactly same place going and coming on trip. dealership charged 600 to replace maf sensor, also replaced fuel pump still happening.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Has anyone hooked up a gauge to the fuel rail and checked the fuel pressure. You could have a bad fuel pressure regulator. Will this problem happen on the level at high altitude or only uphill. If the latter, one might suspect a gas tank issue or fuel filter issue.
  • kimco59kimco59 Member Posts: 2
    thank you for responding. we truly are stumped. dealer not in helpful mood. a friend drove with his scanner hooked up when it happened outside of flagstaff he said it was running leaner and leaner til it totally lost fuel altogether then dumped alot of fuel after loosing power. happens going up hill in high altitudes. we live in nm going up and down hills no problems until clines corners, raton pass ,colorado springs, flagstaff all high altitudes and in same spot every time.
  • rwolkingrwolking Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Hyundai Sonata was having the same problem (working fine until it randomly wouldn't start--all lights, AC, radio, and power windows would work fine but there would be no sound or movement under the hood at all... and then at random it would work fine again).

My mechanic thought it was the starter so I had it replaced. It was fine until a week later when it happened again. My mechanic was kind of confused and spent a day and a half looking over my car and trying to get it to mess up when it was with him. Finally, my car messed up with him there.

After digging around in my car for 5 hours, my mechanice found a loose ground wire to the starter relay and/or to the alarm system. Once he fixed that, it worked fine.

Maybe this is the solution to your problem too...
  • sunkleepsunkleep Member Posts: 6
    My wife's 2002 had the same problem (randomly not starting)... I narrowed the problem to the alarm/anti-theft system (never found the exact problem), but we resolved the issue by having a remote starter system installed (professionally) and have never had the problem since -- the remote starter system deactivates the alarm and hence solved the intermittent starting issues.
  • jayessjayess Member Posts: 59
    Kudos to my 'service guy' Bob at Cochran Hyundai Monroeville PA - eastern suburbs outside of Pittsburgh. After pondering the rear brake issue (8/21/08 post #2649), I decided that I needed to pursue this up the ladder - rear brakes at 18.6K miles being neither normal or acceptable and offered him the opportunity to advocate on my behalf before I started with HMA customer service. He called me back about two weeks later to say that Hyundai had decided to authorize it as a warranty repair despite the mileage and 18 months that we had the car and that a refund for my out of pocket - brakes and turned rotors - was forthcoming. Only needed one followup call a week later to remind them to put it in the mail. We received today a refund check, in full, for the brake job. We're satisfied :):D
  • gretchenlbgretchenlb Member Posts: 3
    According to the dealership(I have the same car and problem), it's what they like to refer to it as a "characteristic" of the car. That explanation did nothing but infuriate me!! The service manager told me that it's typical in the 4 speeds. But guess what the 09 Sonata is...5 speed!!
  • tomw6tomw6 Member Posts: 10
    Asked this question a few months ago. No one could or would answer. Please help if you can.
    Mice continually nest on top of the cabin air filter in my 06 Sonata. I've removed nests, poop, dead mice (oh, the smell) and even a dead litter of 5. About 9 different times. I suspect they've marked a "trail" into the cleaner. I would like to know where the air intake for the cabin air is so that I can put a metal screen or ... over it. Help, please. (I've phoned and/or visited 3 dealers. None of them can/will tell me - a bit surprising of itself. I've tried online with no luck. I set traps on the engine cowling at night and have caught several, but still they come. And you may know that cabin air filters, simple and small though they are, are not cheap. HELP, please.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, Shifty did give you some thoughts here: Mr_Shiftright, "Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair" #2581, 20 Jun 2008 11:54 am. You may also want to look through this discussion for some ideas: Animal/Pest Problems.

Hope this helps!
    Car is 2000 Hyundai Sonata V-6. Currently at 110,000 miles and sensing possible trans slippage...car appears to be mimicking Engine Light...speed sensor behavior but less balky. Make sense?
    At 105,000 trans fluid should be addressed per maintenance manual.
    Is the trans flush NEEDED (overdue) and that is why I hear the hum/whine and sense the occasional slippage?
    At last maintenance - rear hub assembly, repair shop said I needed Trans Flush - Standard (approx. $90.00).
    When in Neutral or Park...I do not hear enging noise (aka...hum which appears to have gotten louder...tired of raising the radio volume!!)
    When in drive I hear the sound, hum, whine.
    Any ideas?
    Also, Since timing belt needs replacement REAL SOON (at 120,000 miles and I think I did the first replacement about 5000 mileas EARLY...so, it is DUE!)...should I do both at the same time...the timing belt is a lot of labor, so I understand, and expensive...so, do together...or...IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE MORE SERIOUSLY WRONG and I should start looking for a new car?
    As always...I rely on your wisdom and experience...to assist me in making my move.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Are there codes that were found? What were they?

Well sure a transmission service is a lot cheaper than a new transmission. I'd do that right away and see how the symptoms go. Also have the trans. codes read. It might only be some kind of shifting solenoid. If it's a stuck valve in the valve body then perhaps a service would help. You could also try some Sea Foam transmission additive. I think it's called Trans Tune. But you need the service, ,too.

Visiting Host
    Get an estimate for transmission repair. You could easily be $1500 to $3000 if there is wear of parts and of course there is wear it has 110,000 miles on it. If you have a whining that it is getting louder and slipping I would not be very optimistic.
    There is no CHECK ENGINE situation...ergo, NO CODE.
    Sorry if I led anyone astray. My point was, like a Check Engine light going on for a speed sensor failure...that is how the subtle/slight 'shift' FEELS.
    I will schedule the trans flush job.
    And, should the timing belt be done at the same time?
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Thanks for the ESTIMATE...obviously I am NOT thinking too clearly. I hadn't thought of that.
    The 'whining' is in the drive gears...so that is NOT the engine BUT may well be my TRANS saying good bye to me???
    At 1500 to 3000 dollars...it will have to be AWAY SHE GOES.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    No I'd wait on the timing belt to see if this transmission settles down or not.
    Transmisison Service was completed last Friday. Walked into mechanic's shop (aka Tires Plus!) and asked them to advise me. We took a walk out to the car and owner said 'sound' I was hearing was normal. No prolem with transmission. They completed the Transmission Flush Service. I am happy...cost approx. $90.00 with his discounts.
    As to timing belt: found bill for 60,000 miles job - approx $325.00 for timing belt replacement (labor & parts...yea, you guessed it, part less than $90.00...There oughta be a law!). Actual mileage at job was 59,100...so, I will tempt fate (at 111000 miles now) and continue driving it for another 5000 miles..OR SO.
    Hey, thanks all, for responses and suggestions.
    I do appreciate it.
    And, if anyone has some other comments about this situation...I am all EARS.

Joe
    Well you have nothing to lose by seeing if the Transmission holds up. I would get estimates on the timing belt after you decide the transmission is solid.
  • notamnotam Member Posts: 1
    I need to change the brake pads on my 2005 Sonata V6 2.7 L. I left my set of allen wrench sockets in another province, so I'd rather just buy a single socket to do this brake job.....does anybody know what size of allen wrench socket is required to remove the calipers on my car?

Please and thanks,
    Mike
  • hongwuhongwu Member Posts: 6
    My 2006 SONATA has reached 30k miles. I had done the 15k services ($270) on Hyundai dealership before. The manager there keeps reminding me that I shall have the 30k service done on the car. But it cost $580 for the 30k miles major services. And other non dealer shops only charge less than $200 for a 30k miles major services.

Anyone on board knows whether Sonata needs some special cares which only dealer can guarantee? Should it be Toyota cars, I am confident to give to any shop for service. But I am not sure if Sonata use any kind of special oil/fluid (brake, transmission etc) which can be found only at Hyundai dealer. We know Honda cars can only use Honda transmission fluid otherwise the clutches will be damaged.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    You do have to use the specified tannsmission fluid on a Hyundai. But you should be able to buy it from a Hyundai dealer and have someone else do the work.