Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• asher3asher3 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your reply.

Do you know about the induction service they also said I need? Since the car has no problems that I know of, and so little mileage I get the feeling the dealer is trying to get me to do things that are not needed.
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    The term "Induction" service sound like he made something up to sound more expensive the "Replace the cabin air filter" to me. The filter should be fine if you do not experiance low air flow from the vents.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Needs AC service? It blows cold right?... ANSWER:yes, no service.... ANSWER: no, needs service. Induction service is cleaning the air intake throttle body. Usually they spray a solvent cleaner into the intake and race the engine a bit to suck the foam deeper into the intake manifold. This service may be necessary @ 100K miles and/or if the engine air filter element was not regularly changed...not at 8K miles....skip it. Finally the cabin filter which filters outside air that ends up in the cabin will dirty and clog but only after at least 20K or more miles. Unless you drive dusty dirt or gravel roads OR through dust storms. Skip it for a few more thousands of miles.
  • negativenegative Member Posts: 107
    I have a 2006 Sonata 4 cylinder with about 32,000 miles on it. According to the owner's manual, two filters need to be replaced about now, a fuel filter and a fuel tank air filter. From reading up on these here and elsewhere, and from calling the dealer, I understand that both are in the fuel tank and can only be replaced by the dealer.

However, to my surprise, my dealer tells me that both are really designed to last the life of the car and that neither needs to be replaced unless causing problems. (I didn't expect anyone at a dealer to ever say that!)

I understand the fuel tank air filter is a charcoal canister meant to help meet clean air standards. So I can understand why it might not need replacement. (I'd like to do my part for clean air but don't appreciate having to fork over major money to do it.)

But I'm not so sure about skipping the replacement of the fuel filter. I once had a car, 20 years ago, in which I neglected to replace the fuel filter, primarily because it was my first car and I didn't know there was such a thing. In that case, ignorance was not bliss. I'm about to head cross-country from east coast to west and back and expect to put on another 8000 miles in the next month. Is there anything to worry about?
    It probably is going to be fine, but there could be a warranty issue if you do not do it. Placing a maintenance item in the fuel tank is ridiculous. You should have a special tool to remove the fuel pump. To save money possibly if you remove the seat and such they will spend less time on the job and you could save some money if you do it.
  • negativenegative Member Posts: 107
    I agree that placing maintenance items in the fuel tank is ridiculous.

By the way, it turns out I can't escape the dealer entirely. The sun roof is now leaking, and it's going to be rainy here the next few days. At least it should be covered by the warranty.
  • ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    My dealer also said not to worry about fuel filter. Told me they have yet to replace one as a normal maintenance item. did have trans fluid flushed at aamco shop after I noticed a sudden color change. They told me this is not unusual in many newer cars and fluid was probably ok but I'd rather play it safe and flushed it anyway. I also have 32000 miles on my 06.
  • dallasdude1dallasdude1 Member Posts: 1,151
    My wife has an 05 and the paint is coming off the handles too. I'm driving an 01 Catera and its well worth the problems compared to the Sonata. Its a much better car to drive and more comfortable. The seats are by far better and the ghetto blaster (Bose) is light years ahead. My timing belt has 97,000 miles on its too.
    Catera and the word better (than anything except a Yugo) in the same sentence? No, wait....you do understand " the problems" part says it all. Been there done that. Oh, one more problem will be your engine if you don't have the timing belt changed soon! Catera....bah
  • jvc09jvc09 Member Posts: 4
    Since the 70k mark - the cruise control on my 04 Sonata does not work. Dealer ballparked the repair at over $250-$300. Is this realistic and is this a repairable item an ASE shop can handle at a better cost?
    Unless you know why it does not work it would be hard to give a price estimate. You could get an estimate from a independent shop that may cost you $50 to $100. Normally an independent would be less expensive once the problem is found.
    For dealer to give you the $250 to $300 they most know what is wrong. If they charged you for the estimate they should tell you what is wrong with it. It could be many different things the switches, electronics, sensor, the actuator or a $1 fuse.
  • james1982james1982 Member Posts: 73
    I'm sure you've already looked into this, but is it something that is covered by your warranty?
  • vjyvjy Member Posts: 27
    Hi All,

I have 2007 Sonata GLS automatic and I have about 32,000 miles on it. When I had 29,000 miles, I went to the dealer for service and he told I need to do

Transmission Flush, Power Steering Flush, Brake Flush, Cabin Air Filter and it would cost around $500 for these.

Do you guys think its worth it and do I need to do any of these things when I go for oil change this week? If so how much would be the price for each of these?

I saw the manual and it says transmission flush at 30,000 or so, but I have heard people say you dont need that at all.

Any help in this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    At a minimum you need to do the required maintenance in the manual to maintain warranty for those items; i.e. do the trans flush when the manual says to otherwise if you later have a trans failure Hyundai could (rightfully) deny the warranty claim.

That said, you do not have to have your service done at a Hyundai dealer. Feel free to call local shops & get competitive prices. Also check your dealer's web site; some offer service coupons you can print & use.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • asher3asher3 Member Posts: 3
    I'm beginning to think that Hyundai dealerships are pulling a fast one on us with their recommended maintenance on items that don't need it. We regularly see posts saying "hyundai recommends xxx service"

At a regular oil change I was told I needed over $300 worth of work on my 2007 Sonata that I bought new in April 2007. It has less than 8500 miles on it and is kept garaged. They claim I need a/c service, a new air filter and induction service. My air conditioner is working just fine.

Maybe it's time that someone investigate what is going on with them. I know for sure that I'll never buy another Hyundai because of what I believe are their attempts to part their customers from their money!
    While the new air filter element might need changed at that mileage the rest probably doesn't need attention. That said, it isn't just Hyundai DEALERS who invent services at various and usually too short intervals. Many (most?) customers are mechanically challenged and to them if the dealer recommends a service then "by God" we had better have it done. So, check your "service interval requirements" booklet in the package you received with your car to see what the manufacturer (not dealer) recommends and at what interval. If the services are substantially different (and I suspect they may be) then do not blame Hyundai, blame that particular dealer. Don't paint with a broad brush because I'm guessing you will find Honda, Toyota, Ford and...you name it...dealers re-interpreting service intervals and services to benefit their service departments.
    I was told it was a sensor and would cost $250-$300. This is an 04 sonata with 94,000 miles, problem started around 70k.
    Car currently at 94k miles, problem started arounf the 70k mark. Warranty done at 60,000.
    04 Sonata with 94k - after cleaning the car, including under the front seats, I noticed the Air Bag light came on and has been for a while now. I wanted to know is this an easy fix or a major issue. Bottom line - how do I get the light to go off?
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Check under the seat to see if you accidently unplugged the wire for the airbag system. I work in service department and can't tell you how many times I've run across this problem when customers are cleaning under their seat or stuffing things under them. If this is the case, simply plugging the wire back in should take care of this without having to have airbag light reset with scan tool.
  • dgb1975dgb1975 Member Posts: 1
    The battery went dead in the FOB replaced the battry and now the car does not start. The alarm goes off when you put the key in te on position. Any help would be greatly appreciated in resetting the alarm. :sick:
  • bararcjtbararcjt Member Posts: 1
    How hard is it for a pretty good shadetree mechanic to change the rotors on a 2007 Sonata?
  • sonata01sonata01 Member Posts: 21
    I don't know if there is much difference over the years, but my '01 Sonata was rather easy. After removing the caliper, (as if you were changing the disc pads) the rotor is ready. Mine was held on by 1 small philips head screw; I understand some just slide on and are held on by the caliper and the wheel/tire. Good luck.
  • oskwioskwi Member Posts: 88
    Hello all! I have a 2007 Sonata with approximately 78,000 miles on it. I am having this unusual snapping sound from the front left when I turn left AND have the brake pedal depressed. If I slow down enough and turn left WITHOUT braking, the sound is not there. There is no sound when going over bumps/into potholes in the road so I am thinking most likely not strut related.

I am faithful with my maintenance and even the dealer (Vision Hyundai in Canandaigua, NY) is stumped. They hear the sound too, but cannot see anything wrong when the car is up on the lift since the weight resistance is gone I guess. My car is one of the higher mileage 2007's they have and there is no history in the dealership of any problems of this nature. I am now back in Buffalo and will be going back with Towne Hyundai in Orchard Park to try and get a resolution.

Any insights anyone can suggest would be most appreciated before I have my service visit. Thank you!
  • alokjerryalokjerry Member Posts: 2
    same problem.. i have sonata 2006 LX and 62000 mi on it..
    I have a 06 Sonata LX and haven't heard that noise.
  • gtjackets07gtjackets07 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. I have an '04 Sonata with approximately 91k miles on it. It recently has developed an oscillating noise whenever I press the brakes slightly. The sound increases in frequency as I increase in speed. The sound also goes away if I press on the brakes firmly. The sound seems like its coming from the front brakes, which I had replaced 6 months ago before the issue had occurred. I don't see it being very serious, but was wondering where the sound was coming from and why it stops whenever I press the brake firmly.
  • anareeanaree Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone tell me what a b1352 code is for air bag light? My light has been on since 1/2007 and was told the passenger air bag needed to be replaced @ $600. Didnt have it fixed for many reasons/cost and Just dont think I should have to pay for something faulty since my car has never been in an accident. Well now it wont pass inspection cuz the govt says it cant be on, went back to Hyundai and they got the SAME code but now they say I need a passenger side seat back @ a cost of $2034.26?????????
    How can this be? same code 2 diff problems and prices....PLEASE if anyone knows something or what I can do I would really appreciate it. Called the customer service and they were useless!!!
    PLEASE HELP!!!! :cry: :mad:
    Did you have them check the wire harness connectors under the seat? They are known to come unplugged if something is tucked under the seat.
  • anareeanaree Member Posts: 7
    YEP, they tell me its the Seat Back and thats why so much I just dont understand how a b1352 code in 2007 was the passenger air bag($600 quoted) and now in 2009 the SAME CODE is the passenger seat back @ $2000...tryin to understand this cuz it does not make sense to me it would be any different.
    Thanks for all your help, feel like im getting screwed(no pun intended...LOL!!)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The side airbag is in the seat back.
    It sounds like they are going to replace the seat. I would assume that it is most likely a connection somewhere. They should be able to tell you what exactly they are going to do to repair the code parts and Labor. $2000 sounds like a lot of money no matter what they are going to do. If they are going to replace the seat you may be able to get a used seat at a auto recycler for a lot less. I would still bet on a connection somewhere being bad. Maybe you should take it to a independent place for a diagnostic.
  • billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    Hopefully, the mechanic who did your brakes is someone you have a good relation with and stands behind their work; just the oscillating sound part makes it strongly sound like your brake wear indicators are rubbing on the rotors (which is their job... when the brakes are close to needing to be replaced).

So two things to check: Has your gas mileage gone down by 5-20% over the last few weeks, since the brake job? If yes, one or both of your brake calibers may not be releasing properly, so you're car is wearing your brakes out; that could be caused by wear and tear, a bad brake job, or just bad luck, but it's an issue; get it fixed!

If your mileage hasn't dropped (or you aren't sure!) does your car tend to pull to one side during hard braking? Another indication of uneven wear. I'd take the car and have it checked, as any problems with the brakes here could mean hefty repairs down the road if the rotors get warped or such.
  • jkim972jkim972 Member Posts: 3
    hey guys,

My car has almost 60k miles on it and I was wondering something about the maintenance.

Dealer told me I have to change the timing belt at 60k. However, somebody told me that my car has timing chain. Also, I was unable find any information about it in my manual.

What exactly do I have and when does it really need to be replaced? I just can't trust the dealership anymore
    Your car has a timing chain.

You are right about not trusting that dealership.
    That dealer's service manager should know better than to try and sell you a timing belt on a 06 Sonata V6. Every V6 equipped vehicle that Hyundai makes after the 06 model year comes with a timing chain and does not have to be replaced unless it breaks because as long as the vehicle is properly maintained it will last well beyond 100k miles. At 60k miles all that is required is a oil change, tire rotation and transmission service. Air filters only get replaced when dirty.
    Every V6 equipped vehicle that Hyundai makes after the 06 model year comes with a timing chain...

That is not correct. For example, V6 Tucsons and some Santa Fes have the old 2.7L V6, which has a timing belt. But the 3.3L V6 as in the 2006+ Sonata, and its 3.8L variant in the Azera et. al., have a timing chain.
    Right you are, I forgot about the 2.7 V6.
  • fitzsishfitzsish Member Posts: 2
    We took our 2008 Sonata in to be serviced at 51k. The mechanic did a 43k service on it.(No brakes tested) We went on a 3 hr road trip and on the last day heard a horrible metal on metal grinding noise from the back wheels. Luckily we found a nearby Hyundai dealer who told us that the mechanic should have given us a 48k service in which the brakes would have been checked. We needed new rotors and brake pads etc. Should we have picked up on the service discrepancy? Are Hyundai obligated to do the service appropriate to the mileage? Can we ask Hyundai to give us the price of the rotors, since this should have been picked up? Any comments would be welcome.
    I would definitely go back to the dealer that did the service at 51k and point out that had they done servicing appropriate for the mileage, they probably would have caught the brake issue, and ask them to "make it right." See what they say. A lot may depend on whether you have been a long-time customer of that dealership and how much they value your business.
    I guess there is something to be said for mandated state inspections. I live in Pa where once-a-year state safety inspection is state law. With all the posts dedicated to people complaining about having to replace rear (mostly) brake pads and probably the rotors as well (possibly due to not knowing the pads were gone thus destroying the rotors) it seems that regular inspections are necessary by either the dealer or the state. I always complained about having to pay $30.00 for an inspection but now realize it is a good thing. Most people don't realize that brakes wear more quickly these days and until that dreaded grinding starts have no idea they are worn out completely and proceed to destroy the rotors too. Once again, recent cars now have a brake proportioning system that forces the rear brakes to share the load of braking. In the past rear brakes were"along for the ride" and rear shoes/pads lasted for 100K miles or better. I know this first hand because the original brake shoes on a 1987 Taurus I owned lasted that long. The front pads were replaced 3X's in that time frame. When you throw in the newly formulated materials for brake friction material, well, you must be prepared for more frequent replacement. So, I wonder if all the beefing about ruined rotors is at least partially the fault of clueless owners.....
    So in 3 hours (Days) your brakes went from no noise to ruining the rotors. I believe all cars have a metal clip that indicates when the brakes are getting below a certain level to prevent this from occurring. Did they indicate they they inspected the brakes?. I live in PA. and we have yearly inspection that helps to prevent this. Possibly the rotors were damaged over a long period of time.
    Do people in states without state inspection bring their cars in yearly just to have their car checked out on their own or do they wait for the tie rods to fall off , the tires to go bald and the muffler to drag.
  • fitzsishfitzsish Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your comments - yes, I guess we are 'clueless', although I would prefer to say "naive", since we trusted our mechanic. We are going to take the car in and talk to Hyundai - we contacted them on the phone, and they have already started by asking if we have the worn parts (the inference being that that the rotors didn't need replacing, I assume). If we are not satisfied at this level, then we will go higher. Unfortunately, we are not long-term customers and there seems to be little desire to satisfy customers nowadays.
  • billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    In fairnesss to others, I was on a vacation a few years ago, and we were driving on Skyline Drive, in Virginia, in our 1996 Plymouth Voyager; we had had the brakes done, and an oil change, literally the week that we left, and we LIVE in Virginia, about 200 miles away from the area in question. So, we're going up and down hills, but we realize we need to go down a particularly steep grade, about 1200-1500 feet downward in four miles, with sharp cutbacks; I need to use the brakes heavily.

After a few minutes, for the first time EVER, I start to feel brake fade, and I'm worried (it's a steep drop off the sides; the actual point-point distance is only about a half mile or so, but it's four-five miles with the cutbacks); I shift the transmission to low, and use the brakes a bit harder to make up for the fade. By the time we get down, I've warped the rotors, ruined a caliper, and there's smoke coming from the brakes (well, duh!). Seems one of the calipers had seized in the heat of the steep descent, which caused the fade; clamping down saved our lives, but overheated the other brake caliper.

$900 in brake work to fix, but NOT at the original shop (which I only used very occsionally because my normal mechanic is 19 miles away (we moved after I'd been using him for years) and I needed to get it done quickly; this guy was a half mile away); I've never gone to them again, as they should have been able to see there might be a problem with the one caliper. The shop that had just done the work refused to warrenty anything.

So sometimes it doesn't matter that you have the vehichle worked on at the appropriate times for the appropriate services... things just HAPPEN sometimes.

Oh, and in VA our yearly inspections have shot up from $7 to $16 over the last decade.
    The clueless comment is not personal however unless one knows at least a little bit about the complex accumulation of the thousands of parts called an automobile then the many odd/unusual noises, smells, feelings, etc. pass under the radar for many (most?) people until a $10 fix becomes a $1000 one. At the very, very, least owners should read the owners manual...how many do? Anyhow, brakes are (should be) a basic inspection item for any mechanic especially as the miles accumulate and if yours did not inspect your brakes until they ruined your rotors then you should refer to him as "my ex-mechanic".
  • hongwuhongwu Member Posts: 6
    My wife went to Hyundai dealer at Sunnyvale to have 2006 Sonata check for "engine light on" issue today. The dealership found code "P0455" and it was caused due to Fuel cap loose. Then the dealer charged her $130 for the code scan and tight the fuel cap.

Please advise if $130 is a ripple off for this kind of service? I am also going to report to the Hyundai USA to see how they reply as well.
    They scanned the car that is a normal charge. They could have checked the simple things like the gas cap but they would have charged you 1/2 hour of labor.
    You could have checked the gas cap since it is in the owners manual that that would cause a check engine light. Some cars have a separate light for the gas cap.
    Dealers do charge more than independents. As a quick example: I have free state inspection on my Hyundai Sonata. In PA we need emission inspection also. The dealer charges $50 for the emission test. I could get both state inspection and emission inspection for $29.95 at Midis (they have a sale at $24.95 this month). The dealer wants to get you in there so they can recommend services that are not in the maintance schedule. I trust the dealer the least of all service options.
    I have mixed feelings about this quandry...dealer or independent..hmmmm! While you are correct that the dealer usually charges more and uses the opportunity to "recommend" unnessary maintenance I find that they know their product line much better than the average independent who has to know a little bit about every car and truck out there, especially since cars have evolved into rolling computer controlled transportation modules....25% mechanic, 75% electronics technician. Plus they have access to the latest and greatest (whether they know it or not) TSB's and recall information pertaining to your specific make/model, they invested in all the specific tools and equipment, sent their techs to training to be certified in certain processes and proceedures so more $$ up front (in the form of hourly labor cost) could be less for the customer. What??? Yeah, if the dealer knows what that obscure noise, smell, vibration is because since they have seen it on your make before they don't waste the time ($$$) to diagose it. Besides, if owners actually read their recommended service booklet they could by forearmed with knowledge when the dealer recommends unnessary service and just say no. In this specific case the dealer used a hand held code reader that they connected to the OBDII port (a 3 minute job) called up the program and found the failure code in 2 more minutes, walked around and tightened the gas cap in 45 seconds so..no a $115 fee was not called for BUT depending on the dealer i.e how much of a stickler for billing proccedure regardless of time/energy expended are they, and how much of a "loyal" customer you are this could have been a good-will fix. A freebee!!
    I agree that the dealer has more training and has to cover the overhead they have. If you need new brakes should you go to the dealer?. Normal pad replacement should not be a problem for the independent. Check engine lights probably would not be a problem for the independent who has access to the technical service bulletins. I just have the impression that the dealer is always trying to get every dime they can when you go in for your free oil change. I also get the impression that the dealers are trained to deny there is a problem with your car if they do not have a fix.
  • dlovelongdlovelong Member Posts: 1
    Replaced the camshaft sensor now the car wont start had the timing belt done 2 years ago but not getting any fire to the plugs can anyone help