Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• vjyvjy Member Posts: 27
    Thanks backy & tmorrow411. I will try to check if I can reduce the price.
  • franmartfranmart Member Posts: 16
    how do you replace the light bub on the high mount brake lite in the 2009 sonata
  • chalirebrownchalirebrown Member Posts: 38
    what's five hours of waiting against having a constant problem???Glad they fixed it for you and now it should be good-good luck
  • jeannie612jeannie612 Member Posts: 1
    When I hit a dip in the road, my 2007 Sonata makes a crunching or scraping sound as it comes down from the dip. I can't tell if it's coming from the front of the car or the rear. Anyone know what this could be? Like I have any money to fix it. :(
  • pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    take a peek under the car from the front. sounds like it might be the plastic splash shroud may have came loose. A few bolts and washers should fix it if it is the case.
  • meeshelle06meeshelle06 Member Posts: 3
    I hve a Sonata 01. The break lights work,now the break/tail light use the same bulb. The break lights works just fine.
    The left tail light was not working. A friend tried to run/split the working wires from the right side to the left. the left tail begun to work but only did for like 5mins.(both tail light workin)
    Now both tail lights won't come on. We checked the fuses by making sure all power off, then attaching the electrical tester to battery-then pulling out every fuse to see of the light on the tester goes off.
    The power fuse cause the light on tester to go off indicating, a possible blown fuse.
    First of all, how bad is it an idea to extend wires from the working side(right) to the left side(nonworking)?
    Then what was done wrong to make both tail lights to completely go off?
    Thank you very very much....
    first, I would definitely undo the jumper that your friend put in and fix the wiring to be as it was prior. Assuming that you have had no previous electrical problems with the car and no major repairs, the wiring should have been fine. Most likely scenario is that the double filament bulb had a bad filament for the taillight. Try replacing both bulbs (only a few dollars) and checking the contacts in the socket are making proper contact (clean any corrosion if any and make sure the spring/tabs contact the bulb) . Take out one of the bulbs and match it up for a replacement pair.
  • vjyvjy Member Posts: 27
    I have 2007 GLS with sports package and it has around 52,000 miles on it. It is the tire change time and I am looking at 2 options for P215/55R17 93V
    1. BFGoodrich - Advantage T/A®
    2. Michelin - Energy™ MXV4® S8 - I have this with the car now, came with the new car.

How are BFGoodrich tires, I saw some bad reviews saying they wear down quickly and have more noise and so on, is it worth it to go for it. I can save around 250-300 dollars on 4 tires. Please let me know. Thanks.
  • tatedltatedl Member Posts: 2
    So I just purchased a 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS and everything has been working as it should. The car is about to have 160,000 miles but is still running great. Today I noticed that my hi-beam was still on when I got out of my car. I toggled it a few times and if finally submitted and turned off (oh I also only have one hi-beam working). Also the headlights do not even seem bright while on normal and driving. So I have been outside working on it and I noticed that my AC unit lights stay on with my bright lights. But when I turn my AC knob past 0 and keep it on 1,2,3, or 4 then I cant turn off my bright lights (key is still out of ignition) I also can turn on my high beams while car is off by turning my AC knob clockwise to the numbers 1,2,3, or 4. It seems to be a short but I have no clue if this is something that happens when one bright light is burnt out or if a relay has gone bad. Any thoughts on this please help me? Thanks for reading.
  • ron4563ron4563 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    Over the years I have used Haynes repair manuals for cars that I have owned. I see that they do not have a repair manual for the 2011 Hyundai Sonata. I know there is a website hmaservice.com that has limited access to Hyundai shop manuals. but these do not have good detailed overview diagrams (for example, cannot find overview diagram of the engine compartment to locate oil filter) and technical repair descriptions similar to what I had before with the Haynes manuals. In addition, detailed search and organization on www.hmaservice.com website is lacking. For example, if you enter "replace oil filter", it does not give you a diagram where the oil filter is located so that you have the big picture. Can anyone tell me where to purchase a printed version similar to Haynes or Chilton for 2011 Hyundai Sonata for approximately $25. Would really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Ron
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I know that this doesn't exactly answer your question with what you're seeking, but http://www.alldatadiy.com has some pretty good info. It doesn't look like they've got the 2011 Sonata info yet, but they do have 2010, so I suspect they'll get it eventually. And, it's not printed.

Just thought I'd give you that site in case the printed option doesn't ever materialize.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Kirstie,

Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind.

Ron
  • sivicmansivicman Member Posts: 32
    Ron,

The oil filter is located in the front of the engine on the 2.4L. There is an access hole in the plastic splash shield that you can see the oil filter. My advice is to take the extra time and remove the plastic shield because the top side of the shield has foam on it and will absorb any spilled oil, and you will be getting drips thinking you have a leak.
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    You can read or download the complete service manual FREE
    Hyundai offers this free.... Log on to www.hmaservice.com
    Fill out the info and that will allow you to look at all of Hyundia manuals FREE
    Thank you for your reply. I actually do have a logon to www.hmaservice.com and have looked at the shop manuals, but they do not seem to be as detailed as I need. For example, I cannot find overview diagrams and the search feature seems to be lacking, in that, it cannot find matches to simple requests like "how to change oil filter". Perhaps the level of detail is there, but it seems very hard to find it. I need something that is user friendly and provides general overview as well as specific detailed technical information and is organized.

Ron
  • prendyprendy Member Posts: 18
    HAD A SMALL ACCIDENT IN MY 2012 SONATA,2.4 WITH BLUE LINK,WHEN I WENT TO PICK IT UP AIR BAG LIGHT STAYED LITE, WASN'T LITE WHEN WE DROVE IT TO DEALER TO REPAIR ACCCIDENT DAMAGE,(REPAIR SHOP WAS A CHEVY DEALERSHIP) WHEN I WENT TO PICK IT UP ,THE LIGHT STAYED ON,IMMEDIATELY BROUGHT IT BACK TO WHERE I HAD IT REPAIRED (MINOR FRONTEND DAMAGE). THEY COULDN'T RESET AIR BAG LIGHT TO OFF,SO THEY BROUGHT IT UP TO HYUNDAI DEALER SERVICE SHOP,THEY SAID AIR BAG MODULE SHOWED BAD,NOW TODAY THEY FINALLY GOT MODULE,AND REPALCED IT, AIR BAG LGHT STILL HASN'T RESET ,COMPUTOR SHOWED IT STILL WASN'T COMMUNICATING WITH THE BLUELINK MODULE,ANY ONE ELSE HAVE PROBLEM YET WITH THEIR NEW SONATA,WITH BLUE LINK???
    FRED PRENDERGAST
  • togrovetogrove Member Posts: 25
    I have a 2006 Sonata. I still have the original battery, and it's probably time to replace the battery. What size of wrench fits the bolts on the battery? Standard-sized or metric? Thanks.
  • tmorrow411tmorrow411 Member Posts: 11
    It's all metric.
  • msmbmsmb Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2011
    My daughter has my 2007 Sonata GLS Standard Trans. The car has 45000 miles on it. She had it to dealer for an oild change about a week ago but hasn;'t driven it much and now the check engine light is on. she is about 100 miles from home. Can she drive it? Nothing else seems to be wrong with the car.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The general rule is that if the chek engine light is on and steady (not flashing) it is a minor problem and the car can be driven.

If the check engine light starts flashing, the problem is more serious and the car should be serviced immediately.
  • bc6bc6 Member Posts: 4
    My electric door locks stopped working,fuse is good?
    if the fuse is good, it could be the solenoid that actuates the locks. If it's all the locks, it might be the head unit/brain for the door locks.
  • merlion0821merlion0821 Member Posts: 143
    So far this has been a fairly "glitchy" car. I've had an 2.4 SE since late June 2011, and the latest issue if the radio going dead. Hopped in the car yesterday afternoon to take my daughter to a friend's house, and the radio was powered up, but no sound.

When driving the car previous to that trip, I had been playing music from a flashdrive. When I went to select random play with the menu, the radio completely froze. You couldn't select any other modes such as radio, etc., but it was powered on.

So I shut the car off, restart it, and then the radio was off. And it won't power back on now.

This is just the latest in it's problems since new. The first monthly Blue Link monthly vehicle report notification showed a problem with the Electronic Stability Control, yet there were no indicators showing on the dash. Then, the tire pressure monitoring system DID show as having a problem on the dash, yet the tires were fine, and had the correct pressures all around. Yet Blue Link didn't show that.

Then, the tire pressure monitoring system cleared itself a week later. The funny thing is that the TPMS has been fine for the last two months, yet the latest Blue Link monthly vehicle report says that there is a TPMS problem now. LOL.

I'm just waiting for this car to strand me somewhere with some type of electronic gremlin.
  • togrovetogrove Member Posts: 25
    My 2006 Sonata v6 came with blue-green color coolant. Now the coolant level is low. I have some orange color Prestone Dex-Cool 50/50 coolant. Can I mix up this orange color coolant with the existing blue-green coolant? Thanks.
    Wait for a response from someone more knowledgeable than I am, but my vehicle's manual says my vehicle will have EITHER the blue-green coolant OR the orange coolant, and that you have to use the one specified for your vehicle - in other words, do not mix them.

My vehicle is a Ford rather than a Hyundai, so it may be different, but I wanted to pop in with that word of experience before you just decided to go ahead and do it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    As long as it is an equivalent to the original which is a ethlene glycol base, than you can. If you have the owner's manual you should refer to that for verification.
    Just discovered ANOTHER problem. I went to use the windshield washers this past week, and the wipers worked, but no washer fluid.

Thought maybe it was out of fluid, although it shouldn't have been since it has less than 5000 miles, and hasn't been driven much in inclement weather. When I checked the fluid level, sure enough, there was plenty.

The list of issues continues to grow. :(
  • bc6bc6 Member Posts: 4
    Me too!
    I went to the parts store and purchased a Washer kit, a manual one! Installed it by cutting the rubber line coming out of the fluid container and wired it right from the electric line near the old pump. Now I have a washer fluid system that gives me only a squirt at a time, not the four or five squirt thing. I can now control the amount of fluid I spray.

It was a pain to install but it works fine. You have get inside the front fender on the passenger side. Bend back the plastic inner fender enough to cut the old rubber line and put the tee in the output line and wire the pump (two wires). Time about an hour, total cost $ 20.00 and it does what I want!!!
    Had the vehicle serviced at the local Hyundai dealer. Sure enough, the washer pump was dead. They replaced that, and then did resets on the TPMS and ESC systems.

Now the latest Blue Link monthly vehicle report says that the TPMS has a problem again, as well as the electronic power steering. But of course, there are no lights on the instrument panel indicating a problem. Oh, and it says my odometer reading is 7 miles. LOL.

I'd say there are problems to be worked out with Blue Link, or the cars electronic systems. Or both. I don't honestly know if I would buy/lease another one, or recommend it to anyone else.
  • sonata01sonata01 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2011 Sonata GLS; after driving approx. 10,000 miles, I noticed the front tires wearing on the outside edges. After taking it to the Hyundai dealer, and after me practically telling them there was a pretty good chance of an alignment problem, they put it "on the rack" and found that the camber needed adjustment. Well, the camber cannot be adjusted without ordering a camber kit to install some kind of an adjustment bolt???? Has anyone else had alignment problems?? Initially, they told me that they were wearing because I didn't have them rotated - DAH
  • azeradaveazeradave Member Posts: 42
    Demand that they fix the problem "on their dime", especially if you have had it less than a year.
  • terri8732terri8732 Member Posts: 1
    Four days after I bought my new Sonata, I was in a major car accident, totally the other drivers fault. About $9k worth of damage, airbag deployed, damage to frame, had it repaired. Now insurance company says they will consider diminished value claim. I paid about 30k for the car. Anyone know how to calculate the DV? Asked dealer for help and he seemed to have no idea, did some research on line that says DV is anywhere from 20 to 33% value of what I paid for the car brand new. Appreciate any advice.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    just remember that in the future if you want to sell or trade this car it will show it has a dimished value.
    You might post this in our Auto Insurance & Accidents discussion. There's at least one insurance expert who reads & responds there, and several more who are knowledgeable about DV claims.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited March 2012
    Yes by all means visit that other topic.

But while you're here, I'll offer my advice (I am also an appraiser).

You should hire an appraiser who specializes in DV; also you can buy a DV report online for $39 from www.mycarisworthless.com. It's helpful, but I wouldn't totally rely on an online report to support your DV case---however, it would be a good supplement to the appraiser's report.

In any event, you HAVE been deprived of value, even IF the car is repaired perfectly---this is called "inherent diminished value" and does not relate to the quality of the repair at all---it is inherent because your car has been, so to speak, stigmatized for life.

I would definitely file a DV claim with the help of a qualified appraiser. There's a bunch of money on the table here for you.
  • sahildarochsahildaroch Member Posts: 1
    Left dome light on and the battery died. Jump started the vehicle and it turned on fine but at one point prior to the vehicle starting the battery cables were accidentally/briefly crossed (oops!). Shortly after, as the vehicle remained on, the audible alarm system activated. Couldn't disarm the alarm while the vehicle remained on so the vehicle was then turned off. Attempted to restart the vehicle but it wouldn't turn on and there now was a clicking noise as if the starter went out. Tried to jump start it again and nothing but the clicking sound. All the lights work (Headlamp, dome light etc.) but I did notice that the radio would not come on while the key remained in the on position although it had done so in the past. Tried using the remote to the alarm system but nothing at all happens although the light on the remote comes on when I press the unlock/lock button so I know the battery in the remote is fine. Can i fix this by myself? if so how?. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much for the consideration.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    In all probability, the clicking sound you hear is the starter rely chattering due to low battery voltage. Leave the cables hooked up and let the charger from the good car charge your dead battery a bit more prior to attempting a start. Make sure you have good connections.

Hopefully, you haven't fried anything with your little boo boo. Warranty coverage for your mistake will be at the discretion of the dealer if they figure out what happened. Good luck.
  • kitkat0123kitkat0123 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Our 2012 Sonata has had 3 visits to dealership for the same problem. When started in the morning the ABS, Brake & Traction Control warning lights stay on. The warning chime sounds when the car's wheels move. Steering is looser when these lights are active. Lights will stay on until car is parked for a period of time. Approx. 20 minutes or more. Operation is then normal for the rest of the day although sometimes the lights will again activate & turn off randomly. Wipers set them off once. Sounding the horn once also activated them.

Dealership changed front wheel speed sensor and problems disappeared for two weeks.

That chime is annoying and real problems are masked when these lights stay on.
  • seeklingeseeklinge Member Posts: 2
    Hello everybody¡¡
    If someone can help me I'll be very gratefull¡¡
    I'll try to describe correctly my problem. My Sonata GLS has been a very good car since many years ago, then suddently start failing. On past holydays, far from Santiago ( my home ) I parked the car for a 15 or 20 mins and the car not start. I called a service and they told me that the sparks plugs haven't energy. According their diagnosis , the problem were the crankshaft sensor . I bought the original one and they change it. They delivered me the car and was happy. I not used the car until I need to go to near village to make some shopping. Then again the same problem, when I try to start the car, don't started . Thinking that the work perfomed by the mechanical service was bad, don't called they again. When I was waiting for my brother thinking tow the car, I try to start again, and the engine started absolutely normal. Well, I return to city and left the car in my mechanical service, explaining they all above descripted.
    There are no any signal of the failure in computer, and no "check engine" light. The mechanical told me that the problem were the engine coil. I changed the coil for a new one. And the problem still exist.
    In abstract , the car has stalled, when I was driving, about two or three times. Start fine when is cold, and no present problems of power or any other when ins running , except the stalling times commented. But when you stop, the car do not start till is really cold (1 or 2 hours after). Hyundai told me that could be the Computer, other that could be the Air Flow sensor ( MAF), or could be an electrical problem. I'm really lost and don't want to lost more money without a correct diagnostic.
    If somebody can help me , I'll be really gratefull.
    Sorry about my English, I'm Chilean.
  • atallatall Member Posts: 7
    I would like to change the Spark Plugs & Wires on my 2007 Sonata GLS 4 Cylinder. (it has been giving me only 20 mpg and seems to have little power). It used to run rough and I changed the air filter & also engine oil with synthetic and runs much smoother now. However, mpg & power is still pretty darned bad.

How difficult is it to change the spark plugs? What is the OEM brand of spark plugs that I can use and what spark plug wires should I buy. There are plenty of compatible spark plugs, however, can't seem to figure out what wires to buy.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Just curious, as I have that same car with 56k miles and the power and FE seem pretty good still... how many miles are on your car?
  • atallatall Member Posts: 7
    I have only 54K miles on my car. Everything else seems quite clean. Just the power & mileage is lot less than optimal.
    I have the same car, but 2006 with approx. 45k miles. Hwy only, I average about 28-30mpg with 2 adults and traveling approx 70mph. City varies considerably, depending on weather conditions also. I would say between 16-22 mpg, all depending on snow, warm up, traffic and traffic lights etc.. Overall lifetime I have about 20-21 mpg. I've gotten as little as 13 mpg in the winter, between the stop and go, warming up the car and any tirespin (very little with the traction control). I've also gotten as much as 35 mpg on the hwy with the hills and wind in my favor. Something to check that will improve mpg is the tire inflation. As for wires and plugs, I have yet to touch them. Air filter is a K & N and cleaned out yearly. Motor oil I recently changed to synthetic. Every oil change I also add in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. I stick to regular gas, no premiums. What kind of mpg readings are you getting?
    Just a thought... try changing the plugs only first. Spark plug wires should last longer than 54k miles. Plugs don't cost much, and they are due for replacement at 60k anyway. Wires cost more.
    As for the plugs, there's lots of options. Originals are iridium so you might want to go that route, they aren't very expensive. Here's one online source for plugs that I found by googling on "2007 Hyundai Sonata spark plug":

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1433546&parttype=7212- &partkey=272220&a=FRc1433546k272220-903868
  • ravi_tumkurravi_tumkur Member Posts: 1
    Hi seeklinge,

I have 2006 Sonata......recently I started facing the exact same problem as you have described. I was just wondering if you could find any solution to this problem. When this happens I unplug couple of fuse and start again. But I am not quite sure how to fix this problem. I would be of great help if you could let me know if there is any solution to this problem.

regards
  • seeklingeseeklinge Member Posts: 2
    Dear Ravi
    Not yet. I still have no solution. Yesterday I found a new mechanical service that told me that they were able to solve the problem trough an exhaustive diagnosis of all systems involved, anyway expensive and slow.
    When I have news I will inform you. Wish me luck ¡¡
    Regards
  • gayle13gayle13 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Hyundai Sonata has had a noisy engine since soon after I purchased it new. We thought it might be valves at first. Dealer claimed not to hear it. Finally at 55K the dealer addressed by replacing timing tensioners. Noise was a bit less, but has gotten worse and worse again over last several months. Loud "put-put" when accelerating around 20-30 mph, especially on a slight grade. Lasts many minutes, not seconds, but seems to go away as get to higher speeds.
    So maybe it really was valves? Would this be a warranty issue or not?
    Any thoughts on whether timing could be off again, problem with chain itself, or something else?
    Thanks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hard to hear a noise on the internet, so I'd just be guessing. A timing chain will generally only make noise when slack or when the engine is loafing...so on hard acceleration, not the chain. You could have an exhaust leak perhaps?
  • federale46federale46 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2012
    my 2010 sonata has been at the dealer for a week now because I can't put gas in it. Dealer replaced canister, valve, and gas tank, and it still will not take fuel. What can they do after that