Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jib4jib4 Member Posts: 13
    Sadly I only have 180 miles on my new ride but the brakes just are NOT right. I've got a vibration when applying them lightly but it doesn't seem to transmit to the pedal. Called for service appointment for Friday so we'll see if they fix it. Has anyone else had a brake shake, shimmy, shudder like vibration on their new '06 V6 Sonata?

I'll post back when I get a resolution to this.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I have the same car and I've always thought that the braking was one of the best features of the car. If you don't feel anything through the pedal, it may not be the brakes.
    My shaking/pulsing only occurs when I press the brakes. Although there is no feedback in the pedal itself the car is providing plenty of feedback. If it's not the brakes, why does it do this only when I appy them? :shades:
  • wgbeckerwgbecker Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Sonata (bought new)with full wheel covers and I've had 5 flats in the last year with the tire valves cut. I have 38,000 miles on the car. The wheel covers are turning and cutting the valves. I believe that there is a flaw in the design of the wheel cover or that the metal tabs that hold the covers to the wheels, that are sharp, are loosing their tinsil strenth and are allowing the covers to turn which pinches the valve sideways and eventually cuts the valve. I recently have taken all wheel covers off and no problems. I put them back on and 2 days later I checked the wheel covers and both front covers had turned and was pinching the tire valve. If I would have left them on I would have had another flat. The Hyundai dealer thinks I'm nuts and says they have never heard of anything like this. But I was a car mechanic for 14 years and it is what it is.
    I will never buy another car with wheel covers.
    Anyone else experiencing this problem?
  • silverstone1silverstone1 Member Posts: 7
    I have had my Sonata LX for about 4 months now with 5000 miles on it. I commute 22 miles each way and it is concrete surface most of the drive. I am hearing more than expected tyre noise and road noise. When I test drove I took it mainly on non-concrete roads and din't feel much noise. After reading all the good reviews I just bought it.
    I read reviews that this is a very quiet car but not to my experience. My wife's Camry drives much quiter on the same road. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem. Any solutions.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    That is why you will not see a police car with full wheel covers. Have you ever seen a police Crown Victoria or Impala with full wheel covers? No. They use small caps on the hubs or nothing on the wheels. They do not want the valve stems cut by a full wheel cover when going at high speed. (Or any speed). Tell your dealer to smarten up.
  • navotinavoti Member Posts: 17
    17" wheels is why you are hearing more tire noise and maybe feeling more of the road too. The size of the wheel and the profile of the tire are important factors in noise. What I would do is test drive a GLS with 16" wheels on the same roads and see if it's better. If so then you could either trade someone for a set of 16" wheels or buy a set of steel wheels or ask the dealer to help you find someone who wants to trade up to the 17" wheels.
  • jake29jake29 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 06 Sonata LX and overall I'm very happy. The only exemption might be the leather interior. The drivers seat is nice and smooth but the passenger seat has bunching. I looked around the lot and no two Sonata's were the same. Some seats were smooth and tight but most had some degree of bunching (some a lot). Since this is my first car with leather I didn't know if that's normal. Is it? Maybe if I was buying a $50K Benz I could complain, but I'm not. I am just curious.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Think maybe its the tires. Some are a lot quieter than others. As much as I have liked the Michlelins in the past, I think I will look for something quieter when I replace mine.
  • alore1alore1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have similar annoying vibrations with my 2003 Sonata when I have my foot on the brakes at a STOP sign or red light. The vibrations are so bad my whole body shakes. Can you give me any extra information about the missing compression ring so that I could try that solution.

Also did you get it fixed at the dealer, cause the ones here dont even want to try. They say that's the way the car is designed! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

alore1
  • alore1alore1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am new to the forum and just posted the problems I am having with 2003 Sonata. Very similar vibrations when my foot is on the brakes and I am stopped at a red light, it reduces when I put it to neutral. The vibrations are so bad that my whole body starts to shake. The dealership have been no help at all.

Please advise me on what to do next. How did you go about the BBB. Has it been of any help? Has anyone thought of filing a class action law suit? If so, I would be glad to be on it.

Thanks

alore
    Well I got the car back tonight and they resurfaced my rotors saying there was rust buildup that caused the pulsing when hitting the brakes. I've never heard of rust being an issue but even if they fed me a line.... it seems like it's ok now. The next few days will be the true test.
    They dealership also said that they have seen a few cars now that exibited the same problem/correction as mine.
    Just thought somebody might find this tidbit of data worth something. Cheers. 230 miles on new car now. :)
  • tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    ... they resurfaced my rotors saying there was rust buildup that caused the pulsing...

Usually rotors can be resurfaced once... which means when it is due for a new brake job it will need new rotors!

I hope you have it down in writing describing what they did... and that, they will replace your rotors at no cost when it is time!
    Many of the Saab 92x has this issue because they sat in port for months. You can clear the rust by getting the car up to 60 and then slamming on the brakes. Do that a few times and that would usually take care of it. In some cases rotors had to be replaced.
  • miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    I'm really not sure what bunching is supposed to mean, as far as quality goes, but I see it on the Sonata Brochure. Is this bad?. I read the Hyundai leather is somewhat cheap, but it sure looks great in my LX! Wish I had the Gray Leather though...

About Rust on my Rotors. My Car has 350 miles, and a ton of rust on the rotors. Is this necessarily bad?. Doesn't look good, yet the Brakes seem great.
    Like the title :)

No the rust isn't a problem per se but it can make some noise upon braking. Yeah I'm not sure about the quality of the leather but I know just about all leather shows more wear and tear than cloth seats. So I wouldn't expect the Sonata leather to be worse or better than most cars. It's funny I have grey leather in my LX and I wanted tan. The grass is always greener!
  • andraeandrae Member Posts: 18
    My car was built on September 12th, 2005. I purchased it on February 23rd, 2006. I currently have 1,500 miles on the car. Do I have to replace my oil as the owners manual says 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first? Technically, the car, and the oil, is 6 months old.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Before taking Delivery I too asked my Salesman to have the Oil Changed, and he said "Yeah Yeah".

Your Warranty and Service requirements start from the day of purchase. However there is no doubt in my mind, that I'm driving a brand new Car with old Oil!

And don't just assume you can get away with the 6 Month/7500 intervals. I have yet to live in any area of the United states that doesn't qualify for the 3 Month/3750 intervals. See the Book and your Dealer for details.
    Do I have to replace my oil as the owners manual says 7,500 miles or 6 months,

6 MONTHS from the Date you bought it - not Manufactured!
    So you have until July 2006 or 7,500 miles whichever comes first!
  • pruoffpruoff Member Posts: 18
    I don't believe it!!! Someone finally got Hyundai to fix the vibrations! If that is what is wrong with my car, I owe you big time. I filed with BBB, and this information will be a BIG help.
    If this is what is causing all our vibration problems, we will have to build a statue in your honor, or in the very least, name a holiday after you.
    Hope you get your oil problem fixed - don't have any problems with that. If I hear something, I'll let you know.
    THANKS, AGAIN!
    Pat
    To file with BBB, just do a search for BBB Auto Line on your computer. Go to the 'file a claim' section. You will be asked a lot of questions such as the VIN number, dates you had the car in for servicing, etc. After you file this electronically, they will send you a packet. When you return the packet, you will be contacted by someone at BBB. Hyundai tells the BBB the same thing they have been telling us, so the case will probably have to go to arbitration. I'd recommend getting an attorney for that - Hyundai is supposed to pay the attorney fees.
    Hopefully message #965 from kburke2 about the missing compression ring will be of help to all of us.
    Good luck!
    Pat
    I don't know if you are allowed to give this information on the web site, but what dealership fixed your car? This might be a big help to the rest of us if we can give the name of one dealership that actually fixed this problem.
    Thanks!
    Pat
  • wolfman1192wolfman1192 Member Posts: 11
    I did some testing of my own yesterday to see if the spare tire location and mounting could be the actual culprit in regards to the ka-thump. It is indeed NOT responsible for the noise but may be attributing it. I drove without the styrofoam casing and just the spare (tightened down extremely tight) and I still had the noise. I then proceeded to drive with the spare tire out of the car completely and experienced the same noise but just not as loud. I definitely think this is some sort of rear suspension issue but I do not know where it is coming from exactly. According to the Hyundai suspension troubleshooting guide I had read over on HMAservice.com, these may be the possible problems:

Rear suspension noise - a squeak, creak or rattle noise - occurs mostly over bumps or rough roads
    Loose or bent rear shock absorbers
    Damaged spring or spring mounts
    Damaged or worn control arm bushings
    Go to detailed test B.
    See page SS-12.

If anyone has had this fixed by their dealer, please let me know.
    Have you learned anything about the burnt smell? Was it an oil leak? Please let me know the name and location of the dealership that found the missing compression ring - it would be a great help to me. THANKS.
    Pat
  • ndgracendgrace Member Posts: 2
    I am having vibration problems with my 05 Hyundai Sonata, car vibrates at a light or a stop sign. Steering wheel seat, pedals it all vibrates some times worse than others. Service manager has said that this is the way the 4 cyl. cars run. My car did not run this way when i first purchased it, car has been in service many times. After contacting Hyundai Consumer Affairs service has decided to actually look at my car first they said the problem was with the rotors then it was the egr solenoid (replaced twice)then it was the timing was off the condition has not changed and i refuse to accept the vehicle until it is fixed. I have spoken with Hyundai consumer affairs, requested a Hyundai rep go to the dealership,i don't think the service manager is happy about this. Considering contacting BBB. I am trying to follow procedure, I came across you post and i am very happy that they fixed your problem can you give me any advice on how to get them to really check my car for the missing compression ring also are you having any problems with hard shift which has also been a problem for my vehicle. Any oil leaks or anything that could have resulted from them taking apart your engine?
    Thanks
  • slm1slm1 Member Posts: 28
    Hi Ndgrace
    What state do you live in? I am in Illinois. I have the same problem but was not so lucky with the service dealership as you were. My dealership did not do anything to my car. Just kept giving it back to me saying that is how the car is suppose to be. Mine did the same as yours, at first bought the vibration was less, mostly noticable in the steering wheel but grow worse over time. I have been unsuccessful in all of my attempts to get someone to fix it. Please let me know your progress, I will not give up until I get this car fixed.
  • stealth6stealth6 Member Posts: 13
    I have an 06 Sonata LX and my brakes are fine. I love this car. Make sure your vibration problem isn't flat spots on the tires when in cold weather and parked at the same place for a while. This problem will go away after driving for a few miles. The only problem I had was a thumping in the rear when going over bumps. I tightened down the spare tire in the trunk and it went away. It has to be REALLY tightened down!
  • mejozamejoza Member Posts: 17
    Have most '06 owners expirenced this burning smell during the car's break-in? We drove a 4cyl Sonata a week ago with less than a mile on it. When we turned on the heater we got this unmistakable burning smell, and it didn't stop until we turned the heater off.

Its a horrible substitute for the new car smell. :cry:
  • stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    I have a 2006 4cyl Sonata and have not experieneced any odd smells coming from the HVAC system.
  • rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    I also have a 2006 4cyl and have not experienced the burning smell. Mejoza, suggest you ask the dealer to allow you to test drive another 06 Sonata 4cyl. Heck might as well also ask for a test drive in a GLS V6 and one in an LX. See how they compare.
  • mommalisamommalisa Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Sonata LX and a spot about the size of a dime has appeared on the driver's door. I called to make an appointment to have the dealer fix this. After all, Hyundai has the "best" warranty, right? Plus I bought extra coverage AND paid for the rust protection package. I was told that I'd have to make an appointment to bring the car in to have them look at it it so they could decide whether it would be COVERED UNDER THE WARRANTY! The dealer is a half an hour away, and I can't figure out under what conditions "rust" wouldn't be covered? If the paint got chipped by a flying rock or something, shouldn't the metal be galvanized or dipped or something? What should I do to insure that I'm not jerked around until they don't have to do what they should do? (Repainting before 12,0000 miles as mentioned here before....)
    have a 2006 Sonata LX and a spot about the size of a dime has appeared on the driver's door...
    If the paint got chipped by a flying rock or something.

If the "spot" is caused by a flying rock: IT IS NOT COVERED... and it is pretty easy to tell!

It falls under Insurance : Collision.

The 7 year /100k rustproof warranty is good only if caused by the weather/elements/salt... but not collision!
  • mommalisamommalisa Member Posts: 2
    How is this determined? Can't they claim that under any circumstances?
    How is this determined? Can't they claim that under any circumstances?

I don't understand what you mean by your questions...

Determined? the cause of the spot? if yes- It is easy to tell ( a lot of tell tale signs); if it is an object that hit it or if it is a paint failure.

Can' claim what under any circumstances?
    No idea what you mean!
  • suzannaflsuzannafl Member Posts: 84
    I'm planning on purchasing an Sonata LX with sunroof this week-end.

I don't buy cars to often (replacing '92 Accord with 194,000 miles) so would like advice on what to look/look out for to determine which specific car to get?

When test-driving, I'm usually careful going around the block.
    I would love to do an interstate drive, but no interstate near the dealer.
    Any special maneuvers I should do?

Thanks,
    S
  • rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    Suzanna,

Suggest you drive it over some bumps, dips, and test pavement Drive it on a road where you can get the speed to at least 55 and then try out the brakes. Make sure you don't feel any vibrations when you apply the brakes as some others have reported in this forum. Also make sure that the car tracks straight. If you feel any vibrations, hear any strange noises, smell anything burning, or the car pulls or drifts to one side or another. ask to try another LX. Check out the telescoping and tilt steering wheel to make sure you can get the wheel in a position that's right for you. Same thing with the power driver's seat adjustment and the manual lumbar support lever. Also try out the front and rear passenger seats to see if your passengers will be comfortable. Suggest you carefully examine the interior and exterior to make sure that your new car doesn't have any marks, dents, chips, scratches, etc. Check the wheel well to make sure you have a space saver tire. If you want the doors to lock automatically when you shift into drive or upon obtaining a certain speed, then have the dealer program this feature before you take delivery.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    "It falls under Insurance : Collision"

No, it falls under the comprehensive coverage.
    No, it falls under the comprehensive coverage.

It depends on what each stupid Insurance co decides and calls it!
    If one hits a sidewalk curve they call it collision!
    I used to think collision is only when you hit another vehicle!
    They generally call it Comprehensive if: Stolen/fire/broken glass...

Who cares what they call it anyway...

The point was: Hyundai warranty does not cover PAINT DAMAGE due to chips!
  • coolblue2coolblue2 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a new Sonata, smelled it after the test drive. Dealer said they coat the cars with something during shipping to keep salt, etc. off the underside. It should burn off after 100-200 miles or so. :shades:
  • hdsithdsit Member Posts: 58
    For the same reason i got my 17" wheel/tyre changed to 16" OZ-Titan wheels and Continental Premium Contact2 tyres.
    Now it just runs very smooth, and much more comfortable than previous 17" - Off course a little less feeling with the road, but with my drivinghabits - i'm absolutely satisfied. (Just still have some jumping/wobble feeling at 60-80 km/h which is not tyre related)
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    All Hyundais are undercoated, and actually interior voids as well, with a wax-based material very similar to the Ziebart process. During application, this material can get on the catalytic converter shield, or the exhaust pipe. This is generally what creates an odor during an initial test drive. It burns of within the first 100 miles. It's nothing to worry about whatsoever.

Its not for shipping per se, but for protection against the elements after purchase.
  • rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    I'm thinking about a Sonata LX, and I'm concerned about the 17" tires. If I find they're too noisy or too rough, can I substitute another 17" tire that isn't one of the "low profile" ones? Thanks for any input.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    I'm thinking about a Sonata LX, and I'm concerned about the 17" tires. If I find they're too noisy or too rough, can I substitute another 17" tire that isn't one of the "low profile" ones? Thanks for any input. ------------------------------

Buy the 17's and try them.

If you find they are a bit noisy or ride a little rough, go to your dealer and ask to trade. If nothing else, he should put you in touch with another customer that wants the 17's. Should be easy, the 17's are more in demand, as many people favor appearance over ride.
    ... If I find they're too noisy or too rough, can I substitute another 17" tire that isn't one of the "low profile" ones?

No substitutions - No choice - No trade, I was told!
    You have three (3) recalls waiting for you in the new Sonata. I had a metallic rattle noise coming from a wheel. The Mechanic who did not speak any English, which is common in Miami, heard it and went to work. A couple hours later, the noise was gone, but the Brakes now had a horrible vibration. Turned back and the Service Manager wanted to put new Rotors in. Now the Car is fine!. Also had a buzz in the driver's door. They pulled the door off, well mostly off, and put it back. Still hear a little something from the door/window. My Elantra made a noise from the same area. Any suggestions?. Great Dealer, love the Car, darn Door :(
    You have three (3) recalls waiting for you in the new Sonata

Not necessarily... it doesn't mean all the cars will have the same things wrong with all of them... If I remember correctly yours sat on the lot for months and that explain partially the bad rotors, and the door buzz has to do with wiring probably!

Your car was probably one of the first ones made... IMO, it is always prudent to wait a while before buying a new product, until they fix what needs fixing.
    You are right about the number of recalls. I had read 3, and there was 3 for my LX. Yes, I wrote how terrible the Rotors looked. I live near the Ocean but I never expected that much rust on a new Car. Nothing better that new Rotors on a Car with 400 miles I guess :D

I think you posted before never get the first Production run... Let me tell you I saved big bucks and have the top Sonata with all available options, for about the same price as I was willing to spend on a base GLS. Of course I did see an LX today with a GPS and a $30,000 asking price, too much!

Yes that Door buzz does probably has to do with wiring. I bet most buzzes do. Hyundai could secure interior wires better, but I'm sure nothing has changed on the production line, aside from those 3 recalls. And the Dealer needed to order my replacement Door handles.I just would like to know why I need to replace them, no one knew? :confuse:
  • jlutzwpijlutzwpi Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Hyundai Sonata and I've been experiencing some strange noises the last couple weeks. There has been a squealing noise coming from the wheel wells. It seems to squeal in the left wheel well when I turn left, and it seems to squeal in the right wheel well all other times. However, the noise goes away when I press on the brake. Can anyone diagnose this? Thank you.
  • onewhowasonewhowas Member Posts: 7
    Normally, a high pitched squeal coming from the wheel wells, that stops when you apply the breaks, means that the break pads have been worn down and need to be replaced.
    There's a small piece of metal that sticks out from the break pad, that, when the pad gets worn down, will touch the rotor, and make a squealing noise. (Sometimes that metal is inside the break pad and will make more of a grinding noise)

Most any mechanic should be able to look at them and tell you if that's the case.

Hope this helps.
    - Jason
  • jlutzwpijlutzwpi Member Posts: 2
    That makes sense. There is a grinding noise as well so that is most likely the culprit. I will bring it in to a mechanic. Thank you for the diagnosis.

Justin