Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• megosdadmegosdad Member Posts: 2
    I found a guy on this site that bought the exact car I wanted, a slate gray, 6 cylinder GLS, with a moonrooof (Pkg 3). He said he paid $17,186 with rebate included. I went on the HyundaiUSA.com website and built my vehicle. Then, I sent a message to all the dealers in the area (Indianapolis) and told them what I wanted to pay $17,186. I received 5-6 dealer replies: 2 said they could not sell it to me for this price, 2 said they would sell it to me for the price and one beat it by $20. Then, I called another dealer and he said he would beat it by $50. Then, I called Bob Rohrman Hyundai in Lafayette, IN. They were in a price war with the last guy. In the end I paid $16,500 for a 6 cylinder, GLS, with moonroof, floor mats power everything. Not bad when you consider a Camry and Accord would have been $23,000+ for the same equipment. Only thing is I stopped working the two against each other too soon!! There must be a huge mark-up or incentives (the guy who lost said he would have beat the final deal-he needed to meet quota, but he wasn't happy about the dealing!!) Finally, I felt like I got the better of them: Sticker $18,970 - Selling price $16,500. Don't let them tell you they are not making any money, they still are!! Hope this helps someone else get a good deal!!
  • ray_h71ray_h71 Member Posts: 212
    "Not bad when you consider a Camry and Accord would have been $23,000+ for the same equipment. Only thing is I stopped working the two against each other too soon!! There must be a huge mark-up or incentives"

Congratulations, megosdad. Actually a Camry or Accord outfitted that way would have been closer to 25,000.00+. They'll deal some, but not to the extent Hyundai dealers will. As to huge markups, that may or may not be. Dealers will nevertheless scramble to maintain -volume-. Doing that gives 'em preferential treatment in getting the plum colors and desirably optioned cars. Area of purchase makes a difference, too. I shopped locally in southern California for several months and the dealers would come down close to invoice, but nowhere nearly as low as you got in the midwest. My personal half-baked theory is that on the coasts people are further into the notion of forgiving Hyundai for past QC issues as they are increasingly convinced the current cars are much better designed and built than formerly. But the feelings die harder in the midwest because "buying American" is so ingrained and the few who did take a chance on Hyundais 10 years ago got burned by reliability and/or poor trade-in issues. I'll admit this analysis may be poppy-poop, too. Pricewise, the best I did, finally, was $16,074.00 plus tax and lic on a base Sonata V6, mud guards, floor mats, and cargo net. (The car stickered out at $17,207.00.) That was in December, and the situation may be different now what with dealer promotions, manufacturer rebates, etc. An Accord LX with the V6 would have been closer to $22,000.00 from the lowest quote I got at the time. (Even the "lowly" base Sonata is similarly standard-equipped to an Accord LX except for ABS.) Nearly $6,000.00 buys a lot of gas even in these times.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Here's one even I could not believe. We recently purchased a 2003 Hyundai Sonata LX with package 7 (ABS, Sunroof, Homelink) for $17,680. The price was $500 under invoice plus the $500 factory rebate plus a $1,000 owner loyalty rebate (I have a 2001 Elantra). We purchased the car in Van Nuys (Los Angeles). While we were out shopping we decided to look at a Camry at the dealers Toyota store which was across the street from their Hyundai store. (Those of you in LA should know who the dealer is now). We found that a Camry XLS equipped like our Sonata LX would have cost almost $7,000 more.
  • christi953christi953 Member Posts: 7
    I live on Long Island and am interested in purchasing the Sonata LX Auto with package #7. What would be a fair price to pay for this auto? Thank you.
    Your best bet is to shop on the internet first. What I did was go to Edmunds, Carpoint, and CarsDirect and price out the car the way I wanted it. Next use the above three and request a quote from a few dealers both near you and in the greater New York City metro area. I used the CarsDirect.com price as my starting point which my dealer beat by $100. My wife and I went in, test drove the Sonata LX and bought it on the spot. Best way to buy a new car IMHO.
    I noticed you got a great deal on the LX. It was with ABS and traction? I went to the first dealer and he tried to tag on $500 in advertising fees. His final quote was $19,495. I got off the phone with another dealership and spoke to the sales manager and his offering was $19,100. I am a novice at this but what does IMHO stand for? Thank you.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    means "in my humble opinion".( I think)
    Yes, I got package 7 which has ABS and traction. The price of $19,100 looks good if it is the bottom line price before T&L for an LX with package 7. The price I got included a $1,000 owner loyalty rebate because I own a 2001 Elantra.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    could also mean " in my HONEST opinion", which makes more sense than HUMBLE.
    Thanks for your help, Mike. I'm going to the dealer tonight. Hopefully, I'll have the car at the price I've negotiated.
    Just go in cautiously optomistic and present a congenial demeanor that -you're- in control. (You really are - just don't forget it.) There should be little more than printing out the paperwork for the negotiated price and signing where indicated. If you're paying "cash" with a personal check, you will have to undergo a credit check and sign on for dealer financing as protection for the dealer. But they won't process the loan through unless your check doesn't clear normally. If they start playing head games with you about various unanticipated extras on the car, don't hesitate to get up and walk out. You'll know, in that case, whether they really want your business at the negotiated price if they chase after you into the lot.
    Hi Mike. Just got back from the dealer. I wasn't feeling well but wanted to get the experience over with. After the bad experience with the first dealer, I wasn't all that optimistic.

I just couldn't believe what a good experience I had. What a difference! The other dealer wouldn't budge at $19,500 (that was with the rebate). I decided beforehand that $19,100 was all that I wanted to go for. After researching advertising fees I found out that its up to the dealer whether they pass on the cost, waive the fee or make some kind of split. In a phone conversation, I had spoken to the sales manager and wanted to know if he could do better than $19300 and he asked if that was with the rebate and I said yes. He countered with the $19,100. We asked for him but he was at a different lot so a saleswoman said she would help us out. She asked what we had discussed with Ricky the sales manager as to price and we said $19,100 with the rebate. She still took the $500 off so we got the car at $18,600. plus tax. We made sure that we weren't getting stuck with prep, or advertising fees and she said that they were waiving the ad fees and no prep. I think that they may have worked it in such a way that they received that $1000 add'l rebate for previous Hyundai owners but that's up to them. I paid below what I thought was a good deal and I got the mud guards included. I'm picking it up tomorrow -- the slate gray color. The sales manager was going to give me pin stripping free of charge but I thought that the car looked good just the way it is.

Sorry this message is so long but I'm glad its over with. I had one bad experience with a dealer but it was made up for by the other dealer.

I'm getting the car tomorrow and if everything is o.k. I hope to have it in my driveway. Thanks for all your help.
    Way to go Chris. The slate gray was our second choice after silver. It looks real good on the Sonata, people will think you have a Jag. Did you get the LX with package 7?
    I hope so. I told them I wanted option 7 but that is not written on the purchase agreement. It says ABS with traction control, power moonroof, electrocromic inside, m/g. Did your sales agreement actually specify option 7? I was supposed to go tonight to get the car but with the end of the month it may be hectic there and I may change it to tomorrow night.
    You got package 7. You're right, the window sticker and purchase agreement lists the options by name not by package number. When you pick up the car make sure you stop at your local police station and turn yourself in because you stole that car. You did good!
    Mike, I got the car. It's nice but something doesn't seem right. First, there is a mix-up with the paperwork which I only found out when I got home. We were given the title to a white car with a different VIN number. We called the manager and he said to come back tomorrow. Also, the reason I wanted the top of the line pacakage 7 was for the ABS with traction control. The traction control button on the dash board does not remain depressed and there is no light that comes on to show TCS is activated. When I got the car the sticker was not on the window. I asked the sales woman why wasn't it on the window and she said that its hard to come off so they took it off and she had it in the glove compartment. The VIN number number matches the VIN number on the car. Maybe there is a reason I got a good deal on it. I guess I have to wait until later to find out what's going on.
    Your TCS button is between the cruise control button and the panel light dimmer. The TCS button does not remain depressed and the TCS light on the dash only comes on when the TCS is "off". Whenever you start the car the TCS defaults to "on" so no light will show on the dash. I,m suprised the salesperson did not go over the car with you. Our salesperson took over a half hour to show us all the goodies on the car.
  • trick999trick999 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    Good job on the LX. I got mine for $19,139 before t&l. I originally got an internet quote on a GLS w/package 5, but decided to go for the LX w/7. The dealer told me that all internet quotes are $300 off invoice. I really like the car although the mileage has been pretty poor so far.
    Trick, what kind of highway fuel mileage are you getting and how many total miles have you piled up? I have an '03 base Sonata with the V6 and AT (same powertrain you have), and a little over 5,300 miles on it. Monday I took a little 430 mile road trip to Phoenix and averaged over 32 mpg. This was net uphill from my home in California with A/C on the whole way and cruise control set to 70 mph east on the I-10. I topped the tank off before starting and again upon arrivial. (Arco unleaded regular) I had a tad more than 1/4 tank according to the fuel gauge when I pulled in for gas in Phoenix. My first tank when the car was brand new only netted about 22 mpg on the highway. Apparantly Hyundai has these engines set up with tight clearances at the factory which may account for the company's break-in recommendation to keep the speed at or under 55 mph and the RPMs under 3,000 for the first 1,200 miles.
    Thanks Mike. I figured it out by reading the booklet. The saleswoman did show me some things but I don't think she was that familiar with the car. I haven't figured out the rearview mirror yet. I went back to the dealer and straightened out the paperwork. Even the temporary registration was made out to the wrong car. I laughed when I saw your email about taking myself to the "nearest police station." So far I'm really enjoing the car.
  • gsong1gsong1 Member Posts: 1
    I want the Pk2. Invoice price on edmunds
    and webcarbook is 17036. The closest dealer
    emailed me and told me that their price is 200
    bucks more than the invoice (did not mention
    anything else).
    I'm wonder if the 17036$ includes the $500 cash
    back or not. Does anyone know?
    I do not think I can get a good deal as megosdad
    did since there are only 3 dealers around. But I
    do not want to pay more than I should.
  • jpanic22jpanic22 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2003 LX (Pearl White) with Package 6. I payed $18,100- $500 Rebate= $17,600 + tax & license. Thanks to all of you on this forum I was able to get a great price. I called dealers all over California and Nevada and got the best quote, then I went back to the dealer that I test drove it at and told him if he met the price that I would by it from him. It worked.
    I do want to caution anyone buying a new car to watch out for the finance guy once you have agreed on a price. The finance guy tried to tack on $299 for a Security System, he was very sneaky about it. After I got up and started to walk out he agreed to take off the $299 fee.
  • mordecai79mordecai79 Member Posts: 1
    Over the weekend I finally bought my '03 Ardor Blue Sonata. It is automatic and the only option was the floor mats, a nice first car out of college. I paid $13,595 before tax and title and after the $1,000 promo incentive and a $400 recent college grad discount. Sticker was $16,625. I am happy with the deal.
  • edowadoedowado Member Posts: 10
    Our budget and offer was $18000 Out-the-Door including tax, license, and registration for a brand new 2003 Silver LX V6 Sonata. Puente Hills Hyundai in California wanted to hook us up with the Silver Sonata V6 LX we wanted for $19000 CASH out the door that day, but we walked out of round 1 negotiations adamant on our initial $18000 cash ODT offer. Sales guy called back the next day with a second $18500 counter offer and we accepted it! Good deal?
    I don't know what package our car came with. I didn't have a moon roof nor the special rear view mirror, but came with ABS, in additional to the usual amenities like power, leather, automatic.
    Have 4000 miles on the baby and she's doing fine.
  • digby3690digby3690 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at 2003 LX (Pearl White) with package 6 in Houston area. lowest offer so far is 18,169 this is before tt&l and includes 1000 rebate. Questions:
    (1) some dealers are telling me that cannot be 1000 rebate this is only for 4-cylinder models (should be 500)? Cannot find anything verifying this
    (2) if this price is correct - does it seem reasonable? (e.g., jpanic in Msg #127 appears to be considerably lower) - Should there be this difference across markets?
    digby, check the Hyundai USA web site (http://www.hyundaiusa.com/). There's no posted engine restriction and ALL but one Hyundai model qualifies for the $1,000.00 rebate. (The XG350 carries a $2,500 rebate.)
    Hyundai had a $500 rebate on V6 Sonata's. As of June 1st it was raised so now both the I4 and V6 get the $1,000 rebate.
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Member Posts: 69
    PAID $18,500 FOR A 2002 GLS, V6, AUTO, SUNROOF, ETC. EVERYTHING EXCEPT ABS AND LEATHER. TRADED IN A 1999 ELANTRA GLS, AND I OWED ABOUT $8,000 AND G0T $4,000 FOR A TRADE IN AND $1,000 CUSTOMER LOYALTY. SO I'M A PAYING $449. IT'S WORTH IT AND I'VE EXPERIENCED NO PROBLEMS, EXCEPT 1 RECALL TO REPLACE SIDE AIRBAG SENSORS. GOT IT FROM ATLANTIC AUTO MALL IN WEST ISLIP, NY ON LONG ISLAND. ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS.
    Congratulations on your new "baby". But, I must've had a stroke in my higher cognitive centers while asleep last night, portknoxxa. Could you lead me through the math again? It sounds to me like you're actually paying (or financing or leasing) $21,500 once your credits (trade-in and customer loyalty) and residual owed for the '99 Elantra are factored in. Where did the $449.00 come from - is that your monthly payment? How many months?
  • srohirasrohira Member Posts: 1
    I am getting Sonata LX 2003 model from package 6 (includes the homelink, power moonroof, special rear view mirrors) and antitheft installed for $19003 out the door in North Carolina. Is it a good deal?
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Member Posts: 69
    IT'S FINANCED FOR 72 MONTHS @$449.65, WITH NO MONEY DOWN. THE WARRANTY ON MY ELANTRA HAD EXPIRED. I BOUGHT THE ELANTRA USED AND PUT ALOT OF WORK MILES ON IT. SO I DECIDED TO TRADE IT IN AND NOT PAY $1500 EVERY TIME THE WARRANTY RAN OUT 3YRS/30,000 MILES. YES I TOOK A "LOSS" BUT I'M IN A MUCH BETTER CAR AND NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT FOR 10YRS/100,000 MILES.
    I've got a 2003 Sonata, portknoxxa, so I'm certainly not critical of your choice. Just keep in mind that Hyundai is a real stickler for you having up-to-date invoices for routine maintenance in order to keep that 10yr/100,000 mile warranty in effect, and that -some- dealers are less than stellar in the way they treat their Hyundai customers. (Too many dealers who handle Hyundais at all, do so only as their poor-relation side line.) At 6,600 miles, the only problem I've had so far with my car was an intermittant electrical switch contact in the overhead light. The dealer replaced the assembly under warranty. But, I wonder how accomodating the service writer would have been on a car with 75,000 miles on the clock that was brought in with a bad tranny... Hope neither of us will ever have to find out.
  • jcmoyajcmoya Member Posts: 9
    03 LX w/ Accessory Group 7
    . Fully Automatic Temperature Control .
    • Power Windows .
    • Power Mirrors .
    • Power Door Locks .
    • Front Side Air Bags .
    • Cruise Control .
    • Carpeted Floor Mats .
    • Anti-Lock Braking System (Anti-Lock Brakes) .
    • Traction Control .
    • Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade .
    • HomeLink Wireless Control System .

$18,637

Not bad!
  • omegousomegous Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my Silver Sonata LX w/ Sunroof, trunk cargo net, floor mats, special rear-view mirror, homelink, but no ABS/Traction control (haven't much need really for those here in Vegas) for $18,500 OUT the door. We were pushing for $18,000, but they refused, and we managed to get them down to 18,5.

Is that a good deal?

We opted out of any extended warranties, and such. No need.

Got just 1k miles so far and I am very happy with it, along with everyone who rides in it!

I also had the windows tinted, and the car looks almost as good as anything else on the road these days, MUCH better than anything in the same price bracket.

I picked mine up at PLANET HYUNDAI in Las Vegas if anyone wants to know.
  • baldwin6baldwin6 Member Posts: 1
    Sticker price 19014. Paid 16114 + Tax.
  • ckennedy3ckennedy3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the middle of negotiating to buy a 2003 LX w/V6 engine. No options. The sticker price is $19,900. I'm trading my 2000 Cabrio. The dealer has offered me a little more than the Edmunds suggested trade-in value which is about $700 more than I owe. After tax and license and the $1,000 rebate plus $200 down, I'll be financing $18,800. Does this seem fair?
    Seems to me you should be able to do better this late in the season. Of course, if you wait much longer, your Cabrio will be worth less (not the same as worthless...) than it is now. Have you tried other dealers? How "eager" are you to get into a new car? (Car sales people are astute practical psychologists!)
  • David EhrlichmanDavid Ehrlichman Member Posts: 47
    Just picked up a GLS, V6, pearl white, ABS, Traction,
    Cargo net, sunroof, wind deflector, mats and mud guards all around.

17,350 plus 349.00 delivery=17699.00 less 1000.00 rebate, net was 16699.00 plus tax.

I couldn't find a better deal anywhere else.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    so I am late in posting the purchase of a base 4 cylinder 2003 Sonata with automatic and floor mats in March/03. It was brand new, 7 miles on the odometer and still wrapped in protective paper/plastic. It was purchased for my stepson.

The car was purchased at Famous Ed's Hyundai in the Los Angeles area. The net cost (before tax, registration, etc.) was $11,988. It was a one only loss leader and I used the $1,000 loyalty rebate available as I was the registered owner of a 2001 Elantra purchased for my daughter in July/01. It looks and drives like a $20,000+ car.

Initially, he had a "check engine" light problem that wasn't the usual gas cap problem. After returning it for service about 3 times (different dealership), he got a loaner until they were able to properly diagnose and repair the problem.

My stepson is thrilled with the car. Friends can't believe what he paid for it.
  • jc58jc58 Member Posts: 48
    I have refered several of my friends to a Hyundai dealership in the Chicago area. This dealership always has the best deals. My co-worker just bought a 2003 LX, loaded with moonroof, sticker is $20,984, he got it for $17,098, plus TTL. He was coming out of a pick-up truck, he could not believe how nice the Sonata was.
  • francine23francine23 Member Posts: 1
    I've been shopping around at a few dealers for the best price on a 2003 GLS V6(no ABS or moonroof), and since it is so late in the season (with the 04's coming out now), I offered the dealer $16,000. His counteroffer is $16,450 (of course, tax & title extra). The $1,000 rebate would then come off the total (in effect, I would be paying $15,450 + tx/ttl).
    My question is, do I go for it, or hold out a little longer and see if they come down to my price? The gamble I'm taking is possibly losing the $1,000 rebate, as it expires tomorrow (9/2/03) - unless they extend it...
    Any advice or recommendations is highly appreciated!! Thanks, Fran
  • safetyredsafetyred Member Posts: 14
    What was the sticker price on the car? Did you go ahead and purchase it? Just curious....I also was dealing with the '03 sell-off to make room for the '04's. And I think I got an awesome deal.
  • doobie4doobie4 Member Posts: 9
    Hi! I've been reading the boards and noticed that a couple of you said that you bought manual Sonatas. I prefer sticks over automatics. Two cars we had ('97 Jeep Wrangler, '94 Merc Sable) with autos needed transmissions replaced at 90,000. We never had a problem with sticks that we've had. In fact the Sable going was the reason I was looking to buy a Sonata last Jan. I went to several dealers and looked on the internet for a used 5 speed Sonata but they were nowhere to be found.(except for older ones) The dealer said that they are only sold overseas, not in the US and Canada. So I ended up buying an '02 base V6 for 13,000. I like my car, except for the lock problems I'm having (see problems #135 or 136) but would have preferred a stick shift. Where did you guys find yours?
    You can still get a 5-speed on the base Sonata with the I4. The V6 only comes with the auto.
  • doobie4doobie4 Member Posts: 9
    Hi!! Yes I realize that's what the brouchure says (about the 4cyl. 5 speed) and I even pointed it out to 2 dealers, but they both told me they only sell them overseas. Here we can only get the auto. I really had my heart set on a Santa Fe but my husband is 6'4" and could not fit right in the drivers seat because of the way the dash is configured. He fits (barely) in the Sonata. I had researched a lot of cars and smaller SUV's and came up with Hyundai as the best for the money -- and nicer looking too!! As I mentioned in my previous message my transmission was going and I needed something ASAP. So I got the Sonata. It was the dealers loaner so although it was used it was sold as new. So there are places you can get a 5 speed?
  • sejongssejongs Member Posts: 5
    I gave my number $15445 (after $1000 rebate and $500 graduate cash back) for 2004 Sonata base, automacic, white pearl, floor mat with pack 4 (anti-lock brake and sunroof) to my local Hyundai dealer. And they refused it and asked me $16699 + Tax + $150 paper work.
    Should I pay for this price or haggle more?
    I felt that they don't want to give me lower price.
  • themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    I come up with $15,709 after the rebates using Edmunds TMV.

Even up to $16,000, I think you could close it there.

Let us know..

ElantraStan
  • oioneoione Member Posts: 2
    hi, i was interested in purchasing a used 2002 sonata, and came across a dealership that had a 2003 sonta lx demo car with options package 2 and only 1300 miles on it. price with rebates came to $15600. all warranties are included as if the car was new. have not negotiated price with salesman, did not tell him i was trading in my 97 elantra either. just wanted to know if it was worth buying, and if so, what would be a fair price to settle on. i would appreciate any help on the matter, thanks....
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    I seem to remember that there is a loyalty rebate for Hyundai owners.

The car that you're interested in is actually considered to be new. This is because it was never registered.
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    I seem to remember that there is a loyalty rebate
    for Hyundai owners.

The car that you're interested in is actually considered to be new. This is because it was never registered.