Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• oioneoione Member Posts: 2
    loyalty was included in price he gave me...
  • wantapassatnowwantapassatnow Member Posts: 100
    I'm looking to get an '04 LX and want to know a fair (good) price to offer. I don't want to add any options. I'm in L.A., and Edmunds says the invoice total (incl. dest. charge) is $18,380. TMV for my area is $18,879. However, CarsDirect is offering this car for $17,447; that includes the $1,000 rebate, but even adding that back on makes it $18,447 -- only $67 over invoice. So I was thinking of offering the dealer $18,500 before rebate, with the idea that if they don't take it I can go to CarsDirect. But I almost want to start my offer *lower* so that there's room to negotiate -- but I don't want to get laughed out of the dealership with a too-low offer, either! Any help or advice on this would be *greatly* appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, I have yet to see the Desert Sand color in person. Is it nice? Right now I am debating between White Pearl and Black, but I wish the Black had a beige interior!
    I forgot to ask: I may consider leasing the '04 LX instead of buying depending on what my $$$ situation is when I get the car. Does Hyundai have any good lease deals? I want to keep my payment around $250 a month. If I can get enough cash for a big down payment by the time I make a deal, I will buy. If not, I will need to lease with a small down payment (abbout $1,000). Thanks!
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    Usually Hyundais in general are not good candidates for leasing because of their very low resale values. You can ask CarMan in the "Lease Questions-Ask Here" thread, but he will probably tell you the same thing. With the low residual values, the payment for purchase will probably be lower than leasing anyway.

Also with leasing, it is advised that you put $0 down, because if your car is totalled, you lose the down payment, and any down payment will not lower your lease-end purchase option price. Again CarMan can give you a more detailed explanation of this.
  • safetyredsafetyred Member Posts: 14
    Personally, I did not care for the Desert Sand color, but let's face it, color is so subjective.....The White Pearl and the Black look very nice to me. I now have a Black Sonata, so maybe I'm biased!! :-)
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I always consider carsdirect price to be the back-up, so I always try to negotiate a a better price. I would not offer the dealer more than the carsdirect price.

I purchased a 2003 in March (base, with automatic, pearl white) for $11,988, which was well below carsdirect price. Granted, I did have a $1,000 loyalty rebate included. This is in the LA area (Famous Ed's Hyundai).
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    I agree with Intrepidspirit, Carsdirect should be the most you pay. I also live in LA (Northridge) and I purchased both my 2001 Elantra and 2003 Sonata LX from Keyes Hyundai in Van Nuys. You need to deal directly with the Internet or fleet manager. Take the Carsdirect quote with you and make an offer of about $200 less. Also, Edmund’s will let you get a price quote from up to four different dealers based on your zip code. I would take the best dealer quote and the Carsdirect quote to the dealer of your choice. Believe me, they all want to sell cars especially if they know you are ready to buy.
    Thanks to everyone for your answers. Mike91326, Keyes on Van Nuys is where I will probably get my LX. I met with a salesman on Saturday, but you're saying to go to the fleet/Internet manager ... how do I get in touch with them directly? And if they go over CarsDirect price, I should walk away, right? Sorry if these questions seem stupid; I just want to do this right! Also, I posted this on the main Sonata board but haven't gotten a response: What is the likelihood a rebate will still be in effect in December? The current $1,000 off the '04 is good til Dec. 1, but I can't buy until mid- to late December.

Intrepidspirit -- where is Famous Ed's? Thanks!
    You can go to their web site and e-mail them from there or call the dealership and ask for the Internet/Fleet sales manager. They were very easy to deal with and they had no problem beating Carsdirect's price. Also, I don't think you need to worry about the rebate coming off after 12/1. Hyundai has been continuing their rebate every month.
  • flameout00flameout00 Member Posts: 8
    I was looking at a 2004 Sonata, with the option pack 5/AE, so I guess it is fully loaded? Anyway, I didn't get a price from the dealer yet, but talking to them, they said they go $300 over invoice. According to Edmunds, Invoice for this model is $18,826, with a TMV of $19,262. If what the dealer is selling me is correct, I should be able to get this car for $19126, and with the $1000 rebate have a final cost of $17126.
    Is this a fair price? Is it possible to get below invoice? I'm trading a 96 Chrysler Town and Country with over 116,000 miles. They haven't told me what I could get for the trade in, but if I can get over $3000 I would buy the car. Should I tell them that?
    Can I lease if I deal with the Fleet/Internet manager, or is that a buying scenario only?
    Yes, the Fleet/Internet Manager(s) do it all both lease and purchase. However, as some of the other members have stated leasing a Sonata may not be the way to go.
    Thanks to Mike and intrepidsprit for your help! :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We can't allow contact information of any sort - see the message in the header of this discussion.

Thanks for your understanding.
    I'm going to the dealer today, hopefully to leave in my new 04 Sonata GLS (no extra options). The dealer said they charge $300 over invoice, so I'm hoping for an OTD price of $18,275.
    Sticker price of $17034, plus $300, plus $540 dest charges, minus $1000 rebate minus $4000 trade for a total of $12874, plus PA sales tax of $901, total now $13775. Payoff of my trade $4500 for final price of $18,275.
    Does this seem like a fair price and am I figuring this out correctly? I never got a price for my trade,but am hopeful for about $4000. That is the KBB on it for a trade
    Is it possible to buy a 2004 Sonata GLS below invoice. One dealer told me they go $300 above invoice, and another told me they don't hide anything, and that I can see the invoice to see what they actually pay, and we can work from there. He said they can't go below invoice though

I thought with this being the end of November, and a slow month for auto sales, I may be able to get a little better deal then usual
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    doobie4... I've got a bit under 50,000 miles on my MY2000 Sonata GLS V6 5-speed manual with Pkg 13. Bought her May 2000. She was built in August 1999. She wasn't easy to find. I had to do a multi-state dealer search. She was the only 5-speed V6 in a 10-state area. She had languished on the dealer's lot for a long time. Dealer had tacked on a pin stripe and paint protection and wanted hundreds of dollars for this worthless spiff. I got her in Illinois. Think it was in Carbondale. Only other one I ever heard about was in Arkansas. Don't think I've seen a MY2001 or later V6 5-speed. Don't think I've talked to anyone else with a MY2001 or later V6 5-speed manual. These cars are rare!
    After doing all my research, I went to a few different dealers yesterday, and finally got my new '04 Sonata GLS, in Celadon Green, OTD for about $18,900, with sunroof and mud flaps. At first they didn't want to deal, and I really couldn't afford any more than that, so I thanked them and started to leave.
    Got out to my 'trade in' vehicle, and my keys weren't in there, and when I went back in to the dealership, I was told they would meet my price. About 2 hours later, I was driving me new car home
    TMV was about $17,741 before taxes and plates and that other crap
    So far, I like it :)
    Congrats on your new ride! :)
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    Was there any cash rebate or the $18,900 was after the rebate??
    the final price I paid was after rebate. Edmunds lists TMV at $18,741 before rebate, Invoice $18,215 before rebate, so after all my costs, I paid right around invoice.

So far I love it. Went out today and bought lots of stuff to help keep it clean :)
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    Enjoy your HS and keep us posted!
  • tthompson40tthompson40 Member Posts: 2
    I just got my new 2004 Sonata LX with option package 7 last night, it was the first time I have ever purchased a vehicle. I qualified for the owner loyalty program 1000 dollar rebate because my mom just bought an elantra and the dealership also waived their 560 dollar "hold back fee" and I also saved the 1000 dollars from the current rebate. After everything was said and done I paid $17,809. I can't believe how good of a deal I got. I called other dealerships and they couldn't believe the price I got. I love the car and can't believe how much you get in a sonata for the price. The dealership also gave me 3.45% financing for 60 months...the cheapest I could find other than that was 4.25%. One thing I don't know about for sure however, I upgraded my 5yr/60,000 warranty to 10yr/100,000 for an additional 850 dollars....was it worth it? what are other people paying. I love my new Hyundai!!
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    deal! I know you'll enjoy it.

I don't think I would have done the $850 warranty extension, though. You already had 10 year/100,000 miles on the powertrain anyway. All the dealers push the extended warranty, so you know its a big money-maker for them.

But all in all, total price (including extended warranty) and financing rate, as the Hyundai commercials say "Looks like you win!"

BTW, I got a great deal in March on a new 2003 Sonata (base with automatic transmission) for my stepson. With rebates (including loyalty), it cost $11,988. Everybody thinks it is a $20-$25,000 car...
  • tthompson40tthompson40 Member Posts: 2
    I can cancel the warranty anytime within the next 30 days.........so i'm kinda thinking i might just do that. That is an awesome deal you got too!!
  • charlie616charlie616 Member Posts: 5
    MSRP: $18,950
    Price Paid: $15,800
    I don't think I've seen anyone buying it at this price yet.

I bought this car in August 2003 in Gaithersburg, MD.
  • kjmritkjmrit Member Posts: 2
    I purchased the GLS model recently. I paid $100 over dealer invoice minus $1000 rebate for grand total of 16600. Edmunds TMV is a little over 17000 including the rebate. MSRP on this vehicle is 19500.
  • bob1napbob1nap Member Posts: 2
    HELLO ALL. JUST PICKED UP 04 SONATA LX WITH PKG 7. PAID $20,026 TOTAL. WAS THIS A GOOD PRICE? THANKS
  • chevyguy657chevyguy657 Member Posts: 216
    I'm considering purchase of an '04 LX with all options this summer. I see that Edmund's TMV is approx. $19,300.

bob1nap, your price must include sales tax, right?

What I need to know, please: Has anyone recently (within a year) purchased a Hyundai Advantage Extended Warranty (they come in 6/75,000 and 10/100,000 varieties; I'd go for the former), and, if so, about how much did it run?

I'd need to get the Extended Warranty to compensate for the lack of rental reimbursement in the base warranty, so I don't have to sit at the dealer for any great length of time (like over 2 hours). The Extended Warranty IS transferrable, unlike the base warranty.

Thanks.
  • bob1napbob1nap Member Posts: 2
    Chevguy657, Yes paid $20,026 after taxes.
  • chevyguy657chevyguy657 Member Posts: 216
    I see back in Post 179 that it's $850 to upgrade to 10/100,000 bumper-to-bumper ('bout what I expected, tad less). Anyone know how much the 6/75,000 goes for? I'm gonna guess $400-450.
  • lesleyklesleyk Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone - I just had a great experience buying a 2004 GLS with everything through Carsdirect and Doten Hyundai in Richmond, CA.

I bought the GLS instead of the LX because I'm a vegetarian and didn't want leather seats, but I did want everything else. With all options including traction control, ABS, moonroof, I paid $19039 - I didn't use the $1500 rebate, which would've brought the price down to $17539 - because I used Hyundai's 0% financing option. They didn't even ask me for a downpayment, which was kind of strange, but who am I to complain?

It was very easy using Carsdirect, and I just had to go into the dealership to sign the papers and give the car the once-over before I drove it off.
  • bneuman542bneuman542 Member Posts: 10
    Asked for a quote online from a local dealer and here is what I got: Our current price is: $19,200 rebate applied.

I spec'd out a 2004 Slate Gray Sonata LX with the 2.7L V6 4-Speed SHIFTRONIC Automatic and option 6.

TMV Pricing report says others are paying $19,510 before rebate. ($1500) So after current rebate its $18,010.

How realistic is this price? Dealers giving me a price of $19,200. Do you think I have any chance of getting it for $18,500? Plan on buying before the end of the month.

Hasn't Hyundai been extending the rebates month after month? The current program runs until March 1st. Anyone know if it will continue after that?

How's the loyalty rebate work? If I have a sister that buys a car at the same time can this qualify? I've seen where someone got the rebate because their mother recently bought an Elantra.

I just checked out CarsDirect and they say Target Price is $19,080. Now I'm just plain confused....

Thanks for your comments...

Bill
  • fivefive Member Posts: 2
    We wanted a base model w/ V-6 and no moonroof and found one we liked at the local dealer.

Their inital offer was the sticker price of $18,624 (I think that was the price). I showed them all the printouts from my internet research--mainly from Edmunds. Their 2nd offer was $100 over invoice, which we accepted.

2004 Hyundai Sonata
    Base model plus V-6
    Celadon Green w/ Beige interior

$17,213 - BEFORE the $2K rebate - plus tax, tag, title, etc.

They even beat my pre-approved credit union financing by 1 percentage point.

We are very pleased. The salesman & business manager were a pleasure to work with.
  • dani24dani24 Member Posts: 9
    First of all, I spent months researching it to decide it was the car I wanted. I used sites like http://www.carbuyingtips.com (which should be read front to back by everyone in the market to buy a car) and http://www.carsdirect.com as well as Edmunds.

I bought a 2004 Hyundai Sonata GLS with Option Package #5 and a trunk cargo net in Slate Gray. It only had 6 miles on it when I bought it!

Here are the numbers:

MSRP: $20,777
    Invoice: $19,389
    CarsDirect Price: $16,989 (incl. $2000 rebate)
    My Price: $16,658 (incl. $2000 rebate)

Initially I was using CarsDirect as the highest price I'd pay. I put out for quotes from different sites like autobytel.com I was haggling with a guy at Bob Lewis Volkswagen (they sell Hyundai's too) in San Jose over the phone. He was very pushy and aggressive, and as slick as any car salesman - and he was in the internet department, so I figured he should be better. I wanted the Slate Gray, but the guy in San Jose only had black.

Then the Internet Sales Director from Doten Hyundai in Richmond contacted me. I asked him for a quote, and he sent back an email with the price I paid above. Plus, he had the Slate Gray (and black, silver and blue) in the particular configuration I wanted. I immediately called the guy and asked what fees, etc. were going to be added on. He calculated out my out the door price which included only taxes, license, doc fees, and a $5 tire recycling fee.

I put this price to the guy in San Jose, and he balked. He started getting mad at me, asking me "how do I know you aren't going to play a ping pong game of going back and forth between us until you get one of us to drop out?" I thought, so? Why shouldn't I be doing that? Then he said he'd see what he could do. He got back to me later that day with an email saying he could beat Doten's price. He didn't list the price, and even on the phone before he had been vague about numbers.

What he doesn't realize (yet, because I'm thinking of writing a letter to the GM of his dealership) is that his pushiness and his attitude is what made up my mind. I never called him back to find out his price. I was more than happy to pay a couple hundred more (because based on our phone conversation, I'm guessing he only shaved off one or two hundred) to the Doten dealership because they were up front, courteous, not at all pushy or aggressive, and gave me a great experience.

I would recommend their dealership to anyone (at least the internet/fleet department). They were even able to beat my E-Loan financing.

And I love my new car! I was a nervous wreck, albeit a very happy one, driving home from Richmond to Hayward yesterday (in heavy traffic). But, this is my first new car, and I couldn't be happier with my choice, and my deal.
  • nonnocerenonnocere Member Posts: 1
    I got my slate grey sonata yesterday, with all the works, including the moonroof, traction control, homelink, and cargo net.

MSRP including freight and handling was $22072
    Purchase Price was $20795 not including the $2000 rebate (which is applied after taxes).

I think it was a good deal. The dealership in manhattan was actually very positive. Not pushy. I got the car a week after I made the deal because I had to go to chicago. During my trip, USA Today had a feature on Hyundai and how it's quality and reputation have improved, then the JD Power Rankings on initial quality surveyr came out with the sonata as best entry mid-size. When I went to pick up my car, it seemed that their showroom was cleared out of cars... i was surprised. I'd go to these guys again (for a Santa Fe likely).
  • doubledown1180doubledown1180 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to buy an '04 GLS w/sun roof and ABS. Sticker at the dealer I went to was just under $22k, best price I got was 18,900 before the $2k rebate.

I'm not sure this was the best price, and I plan on visiting some other dealers, anyone else paying around 18k total for a GLS with these options?
  • trebartrebar Member Posts: 1
    I went to Texoma Hyundai yesterday to check out their stock. After researching about 5 different packages I found a salesman. Started neg. on a V4 (going for economy with 87 oct. at $1.89 localy) base automatic at 17339. White with tan interior.

They offered 2000 below msrp (which was rebate). I flipped out their advert (which was blue with tan int. car...didn't look good) and Edmunds. TMV $13,948. After a bit of wrangling and about to leave dealership...got $13,900 because the advert beat that price by $50. Had a base '00 F-150 that I traded in for $6000. That was between fair and good KellyBB. I think it is fair considering front tires worn, 7" crack in front windshield, a few dings and blemishes and I'm avoiding about $500 in sundry maint.

Final cost will be $8600 after TT&L.

Couldn't close the deal though because this is a new location for dealership and they didn't have all the docs/phone connections yet. They did hand over the vehicle so I guess I'm commited. Heh! Going back today.
  • dani24dani24 Member Posts: 9
    Doubledown, if you read a few posts above yours, you'll see mine. I'm assuming you're talking about the GLS with option package 5. I purchased the same thing for $18,600. If you get anything near that price, that's a very good deal.

From my months of research, $18,900 is a stellar price. You may get less than that if you shop that price around to a few other dealers. It may be worth a shot.
  • hyundaiman3hyundaiman3 Member Posts: 12
    After some research I went to a local dealer and told them I'd be willing to pay 17,000 for a fully-loaded Sonata LX - with package 7 (moonroof, ABS/Traction Control, etc.) There is nothing missing from this car - even has the electrochromatic rearview). Sales Manager offered 17,500 - I said I'd think about it and return the next day - told me if I bought on the spot he'd offer it for 16,680. Sold.
    The 16,680 is after the 2000 rebate and the 1000 Hyundai owner rebate.
  • brandonbrandon Member Posts: 1
    I am going to start looking for a new or used Sonata this week.... I'm hoping the $2000 rebate is continued (supposed to expire today).

Anyway, not sure if I want to go new or buy a year old 2003. I would rather go new for the obvious reasons (it's new, better warranty) but am curious what kind of savings I could get on a used model.

Hertz lists '03 Sonata GLS's for about $11.5. A nearby Hyundai dealership has several base models with less than 15K mi. with auto transmission and the moonroof package w/o ABS with a list price of around $11,998.

Is cutting a couple thousand off ($9,998) a realistic offer for a used '03?

If it turns out I'm good enough for low or 0% APR I would definitely go new, but if I'm looking at APR closer to 10% I might consider used. Not sure. Thanks. P.S. All I'm really interested in is the auto transmission... sunroof, V6, ABS, etc. is nice but not a deal breaker.
  • jmaxwell_jmaxwell_ Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new Sonata LX with option package #2 (ABS)

MSRP: $20899
    Price Negotiated: $16350 (including $2000 factory rebate)

tax, dmv stuff: about 10% extra.

The thing I noticed at the dealerships (I visited three) was that it was a no hassle, no BS buying experience - the salespeople were not pushy at all. I think Hyundai is doing an incredible job with what they expect from the dealers.

Next step:
    Purchase 1) K&N air filter
             2) Kspec chrome grill
             3) CAI (not sure which brand)
  • mediadimediadi Member Posts: 1
    Hi...

What do you think about $16,900 -out the door- for a 2004 Sonata GLS with 2300 miles on it?

Thanks!
  • monstermonster Member Posts: 4
    Depends a little on your tax rate, but you should be able to do that or better on a new vehicle, not a demo.
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    That doesn't sound too good. You can get GLS Sonatas from Fitzmall (no haggle) for $15,300, $15,800, etc. depending on options. Those prices have freight included already as well.
  • parimiparimi Member Posts: 1
    I just got my sonata this week for 16,200. It is a Lx with ABS(Option PKG 2). Love the ride.
  • golonygolony Member Posts: 2
    I spoke with a representative of Huyndai Manhattan. He said there are no manual transmission on the sonata.

I looking to buy for a manual transmission car Sonata. If the model 2004 does not have manual transmission, I will consider a 2003 manual V6 or base model. But mileage must be under 20000
  • ray hray h Member Posts: 120
    V6 Sonatas haven't been available with manual trannies for several years. I wasn't aware that the I4s are now unavailable with manual trannies, though. I'd check with another dealer.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    golony... I have about 57,000 miles on my '00 Sonata GLS V6 5-speed manual. I have never seen another one. Mine was an early build MY2000 (built in CY1999). Very, very few came over to begin with. Not sure any made it in MY2001. Never heard about V6 manual in MY2002-2004.

I had to do a dealer locate. At time I found mine, believe there was one other one. Mine came from Illinois dealer. Other one was in Arkansas. I live near Omaha, Nebraska.
  • basshnter1basshnter1 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased an 04 sonata gls with no options.
    I paid 16,887.25, taxes license everything out the door.