Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Is that even in question here? Has anyone said, "Please post only the OTD price, that's all I need?"
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    End Of Story. Let people choose what numbers they want to use from them all. Plain & simple...huh folks...?

The Sandman :)
  • reeddvmreeddvm Member Posts: 3
    Assuming I can find one, what would be a good starting price for negotiating. I know there is an additonal rebate for the 06's hopefully sale price cheaper too, because last years model

Thanks
  • msebarmsebar Member Posts: 12
    Ok here we go. The dealer fee is bull. They all say they charge it but it doesn't matter. The bottom line is the bottom line (the the OTD price). I don't care if they charge me 10,000.00 for dealer fees. You should list the retail price with options and then your OTD price including everything. Yes the tax is not the same everywhere so list your sale tax rate. There you go. Here is what I have found so far and this dealer beat all other dealers by almost 200.00.

I live is Boca Raton Florida.

Sticker price 25595.00
    Tax rate 6.5%
    22K OTD

This car is the 2007 limited V6 with the following options
    Mats
    Mud guards
    Trunk Tray
    Sunroof and Upgraded Radio

I will be going to the dealer this weekend.

CAN ANYONE BEAT THIS IF SO LET ME KNOW. TIME IS SHORT
  • shamtishamti Member Posts: 5
    I've got a headache from all the deals... or no deals! I am looking for a 6 cylinder sonata... LX, GLS v6, SE or Limited.

Is $18000 for a GLS V6 with Moonroof and tint for an 06 a good price? It doesn't seem to be as good a deal as others have gotten even though the manager kept telling me she was losing money. Is it just that time of the month when dealers don't want to deal too much?

I did find two 06 GLS V6s from the Hyundai Challenge- $16499 and $16599. However, each car has about 1500 miles since they were test drive cars. Neither had any options. Price wise, they are a better deal, but the dealer isn't willing to take any more off for the milage. Is there room to negotiate? 1500 miles is not a new car to me and the tires show it.

Would a 2007 SE without a moonroof in powder white pearl at $18k be a better deal? I would love to get a LX or Limited, but don't see too many deals on them. I did find two 06 Sante Fes today... felt like a kid in a candy store. Too bad they were both black...
  • hells_bellshells_bells Member Posts: 21
    $17,800 + Tax/Tags. Leesburg, VA
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    You just might want to read some of the messages on the "Hyundai Problems and Solutions" board before you jump into anything....especially a "new" car with 1500 miles. (Hard to believe a "test drive" car could have 1500 miles on it.)

BTW, some owners were so disolusioned with all the problems and the inability of Hyundai dealers to fix them that they dumped their cars.

On the other hand, some were very happy with theirs.

By all means...pay a few more bucks for a truly new car before possibly buying someone else's problems.

One man's opinion.
  • cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    Everyone is asking "Is this a good deal?" This has so many variables implied as to make the question meaningless. You need to do what I did. Decide before you go car shopping how much money you are comfortable spending on the car you want to drive. Figure out what is important to you and what you could live without. Then go out and test drive everything in that price range. Let the dealers know that this is your comfort zone and if you plan to spend as I did less than $18,000 for car less tax title and license then he won't waste your time having you try out something in the $25,000 range. Decide what is most important to you, 4 wheel disk brakes, ABS, premium stereo etc. Then when you decide you will be able to "deal" a better price that will make you more comfortable with your decision. Do the research, I did. Get on the forums of cars you narrow the list down to. Check the warranty, the dealer's record of service, who else could you take the car to if his service dept. is crap? Once you finally sign on the dotted line you will walk out knowing you did your homework and your anxiety level will be greatly reduced. Price is not everything, important but not everything. What you are willing to spend is more important to get what you want. Don't get distracted by the smell and feel of a new car. The smell and shininess wear off with time. The payments will be around for a while.
    Thanks for your advice. I have read most of the posts regarding the 06 and 07 Sonatas and have to say I haven't found any really big problems occurring consistantly other than the shimmying. What types of problems in particular are you reading about for these year models?

I started my new car search with Camrys, but after reading hundreds of posts about all the transmission problems with their cars, I began looking for an alternative. The Honda dealers didn't impress me (and I have owned 5 Hondas in the past which were all great cars) and the new models seem to have more problems than the new Sonatas. I also liked the Mazda6s but the road noise was too loud and reliability was a concern.

I never would have considered looking at the Sonatas until I read the Sonata Problems and Solutions board and that they seemed to be getting a lot of positive reviews in both consumer opinions and professional publications. I decided to take the Sonata for a test drive and was impressed with the overall package and safety features. The Sonata drove like it was a more solid car than the 07 Camry and Mazda. I didn't even get to the Honda dealer because of their "mightier than thou" attitude over the phone. I don't give my money to jerks.

There really weren't any other contenders that I considered other than a used Lexus. We currently have a Toyota Sienna (built during the sludge years) and a Lexus LX470. I was not happy on how Toyota handled the sludge problem (they waited until a class action suit was filed) and I don't see them doing anything about their tranny hesitation problem. I do feel as though I am downgrading from a Sienna with the Sonata, in terms of brand, but inside the vehicle, I feel that the Sonata is a better equipped vehicle, made better. And for the right price, I don't mind the tradeoff. I just have to find a dealer who will give me that right price. :)
    I agree with your concept, but not completely applicable to me. I will be paying cash so payments aren't a factor. How much I can spend is not really a factor, except that I am just cheap. Everyone wants to get the best deal or we wouldn't be sharing prices. I am willing to pay a little more for the perfect car, but I haven't found one that fits that role. I can take or leave any of them. I have done my homework, but I cannot seem to get any of the great deals that others were getting at the end of last month-Labor day. I am sure timing is crutial here, but how crutial? I am tempted to wait til the end of this month if it will get me a 07 SE with PP for $17800 + TTL (BTW great deal!). Hence my subject... are the deals drying up.
  • prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    'even though the manager kept telling me she was losing money'

Don't EVER believe what a dealership tells you during negotiations. Many will tell you anything to get you in the door then sell you.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    looks like approx 5K below sticker before taxes.....so far, that's the best deal I've heard for an 07 Limited by far.
  • jamesd1057jamesd1057 Member Posts: 18
    I'm in Florida. What dealer gave you that price? It sounds pretty good. Just the $1500 Limited V6 rebate?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I live across the street from the new Coconut Creek Hyundai store and was impressed with them. I really liked the Sonata, but ended up with a Civic due to garage size problems. Love the Civic, but if we were in the market for a mid sized car, I'd have probaly have bought the 4 cylinder Sonata.
    You should check that dealer out...they are pretty new and would probaly be looking to make some deals.

The Sandman :):)
    Coconut Creek and also got the extra 500 being I have an elantra already
  • moondog4moondog4 Member Posts: 39
    Was that a loaded limited With sunroof and is that price after TTL or before. There have been discussions of how the price should be listed.
    I just got a quote on a Hyundai Sonata Limited with mats, trunk mat and mud guards for $20945 without TTL. I thought it would be about $19000 from what I've seen on here. The list on the car is $23845. This is in New England. Anyone have a comment on this?
    He breaks it down in post 2942....and yes, it appears to be out the door with the sunroof and upgraded stereo amongst the other cheaper options.

Sounds far better than any other deal I've heard of so far on an '07.
    Probably could get around $19K for that if you qualified for the loyalty rebate or some other specialized rebate. Short of that, that is probably a fair deal for this area.
    I think that is a bit high. The dealers are not selling cars and need to make there quotas. Add TTL to that and your over my 22K otd and I also have a sunroof and upgraded radio. Sticker is about 1700 and the cost is about 1500 on that upgrade. Your car should be about 21K otd at a 6%tax rate. If you have a Hyundai now you should get another 500 off that price.

I deal with all dealers on the internet and never go into the dealer until I am ready to pick it up. I do go for test drives but I don't talk price. Once I get the lowest price from a dealer I give them my info and pickup the car. My time at the dealer is about 2 hours max.

I don't have time to bull with them and play games. If I get a price and they start pulling stuff I walk out and never come back even if I have to pay up to the next dealer. This is how I do it.

Also think about the dealers here in Florida if you can save a about 1k down here from where you are do it and use it as a free vacation. Fly down spend a 5 days and drive back. A grand goes a long way.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I agree with msebar. If you have the time and can get a much better deal in FL take advantage of it.

Bought my '05 in April '05 in Naples from O'Brien. They also have a dealership about 40 miles north in Ft. Myers. The 1365 mile drive from Naples to Fairfield County, CT took about 22.5 hours going with the traffic flow and minimal stops. I left Naples on a Friday morning and stopped in Fayetteville, NC overnight. Hit the road a little after 7am Saturday and had no trouble going through Washington & Baltimore. Also took the Garden State Pkwy to miss NYC and I-95 in that area.

Where state are you in in New England?
    I got a price for a limited without the premium pkg for $19995 and I going on Monday to see if I can get it for $21300 with the premium pkg. I will let you know how I make out on the deal.
    Is that otd and if so what are your taxes.
  • tkumpftkumpf Member Posts: 27
    I just walked off the lot yesterday with a 2007 Sonata Limited with sunroof and 6-CD changer w/subwoofer. Bottom line: $21,700 (including EVERYTHING). Fairfax Hyundai (VA).
  • jamesd1057jamesd1057 Member Posts: 18
    Sounds like a good price. In order for me to compare it, could you break the price down? Rebates?, tax/title ect? Sounds like you got ultimate package option, correct?
    Yes what is the break down? Please include your tax rate and rebates.
    Total purchase price: 22,142 (sticker was 25,430)
    Processing: 289.20
    3% VA Tax: 672.95
    Dealer's License Tax: 44.29
    Title fee: 51.00

Total delivered: 23,200.00
    Rebate: -1,500.00

Balance: 21,700.00
    Oh, and yes, it was the Ultimate Package. Also got the Carpeted Floor mats (list: $85.00).

I think this was an awesome deal.
    Yes that I think is a good deal I got basicly the same see below

sticker 25595.00
    OTD 21630.00

My tax was 575.00 more 6% not 3%
    My price included the 500.00 loy rebate.
    I also got mud guards and trunk tray 130.00 dealer cost.

Like I said in a prior post they want to sell cars. If you push them enough you can get great deals like we did.
  • bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    I am looking around for a used car for my son. He likes the looks of the current and previous generation Sonata. On Saturday, I was at a Hyundai dealership looking at a 2005 Sonata GLS sitting on their used lot. The salesman mentioned that they just got in a 2002 Sonata LX as a trade in on an upgrade to an Azera. The car was still in the garage being cleaned and prepped. It was beautiful. Silver Mist with black leather interior. The only cosmetic thing I could find was a small 1/8 in. ding on the side. It has a sunroof, singleCD player, cassette player (which my son wanted), power seats. It is in great shape.

The mileage is low at 31,000 for this 2002. The dealer wants $12,900. KKB and Edmunds lists it around $12,300. I 'could' wait another several months before I defintely NEED the additional car, but this thing is beautiful, and I kinda hate to pass on it. The price is $2,900 more than I was looking to spend, but this being low mileage and looking in great shape, ... hard decision.

Any opinions on the price? I've never bought a used car in my life, and am not sure how low I could possibly dicker on this. Told the wife that if I get this now... I'd drive it myself until our son starts driving next summer.
  • stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    Bryan:

For a couple thousand more or so you could buy a brand new 2006/2007 Sonata. The rescaled Sonata that came out in 2006 is really worth the extra expense. You won't regret it.

Stockmanjoe
    It's not possible to buy a brand new 2006/2007 Sonata LX/Limited for about $14,000. Try closer to $20k. It's unlikely you could even get a base 2006 Sonata GL I4 automatic for $14k except under special circumstances.

Definitely try to deal on the car--most dealers' asking price on used cars includes wriggle room. Hopefully you haven't let the sales rep know how much you love this car. You might try $12,000, including a five-year bumper-to-bumper no-deductible warranty (I know they are available on Hyundais of that vintage and condition as I recently bought a used 2002 Mazda with more miles, and the dealer told me that Hyundais are in the same premium class as Mazda.)
    If the car is in great shape, with that low milage, it can be worth more than kbb. But, as backy said negotiate with the dealer, just as you would on a new car. (dealers often make more on used cars than they do on new cars)

You might try to determine the Galves value of this used car to give you an idea of what the dealer actually paid for the car. If they,themselves, took it in trade on the Azera, don't pay attention to what they allowed for the trade in--that's one of the oldest tricks going. They over allow on the trade and don't discount the new car being bought. Trust galves as a guide and you'll have an idea of how much they are trying to make on selling this used car.

Another pretty good source is the NADA "loan value". That doesn't show on line. Your library may have galves and probably has NADA book which will show "retail, trade-in and loan value."

In negotiating with the dealer you might also offer that if you are pleased with this used car that you would also be interested in a new Hyundai from them in the future.
    Don't offer 12K offer less. If you offer 12k thats your starting point. I am sure you can get this car for around 11500. Offer 11K and play them. There not selling cars. Also my son has a Elantra 2006 GT real nice car sporty. If you wait till next summer you can get that car for about 10k or a 11K. Its better on gas and it more a young mans car. I even bought one for my wife and she loves it.
    FWIW I said offer $12k including a 5-year, bumper-to-bumper, no-deductible warranty. That warranty is worth around $1000 +/-. If you don't want the warranty, you could start lower than $12k.

The Elantra GT is a very nice car too (I have a '04), but right now the private-party sale value for a low-mileage '04 GT is just under $10k. So I am doubtful that there will be '06 GTs around next summer in excellent condition with low miles for $10-11k. They are fairly rare to begin with. I am glad you think it's a "young man's car" though. :)
  • bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    A car (82 Skyhawk) the size of the Elantra was my first purchase as a 21 yr old "young man". There are a few Elantras here at work, and all driven by "middle age" men.

Anyway... back on topic with the Sonata...

Thanks all for the feedback and advice. You guys did give me some stuff to think about and consider.

Seeing that my son won't be driving until next summer, I'm really in no big hurry to buy, but just thought that if I saw something that we liked and got a good deal, I'd bite. We do like the looks of this car and IF I can get a good deal on it, we may buy it. I've been pricing a couple other cars on their used-lot and everything else I've checked out has been about 1500 to 1800 over KBB and Edmunds.

Any opinions on the option of us waiting until the end of next summer, and possibly pick up a end-of-model-year 07 Elantra or 07 Sonata ??
  • amaoamao Member Posts: 38
    Should the rebate be deducted before tax applied?
    Depends on the state. In MN for example, the rebate is deducted before the sales tax is applied. But in other states, the sales tax is paid before the rebate is deducted.
  • stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    Yeah I suppose you are right, an LX or GLS is higher.

But Bryan could get a 2006 GL invoiced 16.5K talk down even a bit to 16K rebate another 500. Granted, a bit higher, but you also have a brand new car that was redisgned that year and is far better than the 2005 and earlier models.
  • chrisjoochrisjoo Member Posts: 27
    Can you give me the name of the dealership?
    You're probably better off waiting to get your son a car. In fact, check with your insurance agent/company to see what it will cost to insure a newly licensed 16 year old male as a principle operator on a 2 year old car (the make/model shouldn't make much difference except for comp & collision). You're likely to be shocked. If fact, after seeing the cost you may decide to get him a $2500 to $3000 car so you choose to not carry collision (& possibly comprehensive). When you check with your insurance get a breakdown for the cost of each coverage so you can weigh the cost of comp & collision on a $11-$12K car vs not carrying those coverage on a $3K car. Also ask what the cost difference would be if he was listed as an occassional driver on one of your cars for six months before he gets his own car.

I'm an insurance agent and can't give you a generic reasonable estimate of the costs because the costs vary so much from state to state and even within different areas of the same state.

Take my advice. I'm not the friendly local car dealer trying to sell you anything. Just hoping to help you make an informed decision, so you don't buy a car and then get faced with a huge unexpected insurance bill.
  • g8unwg8unw Member Posts: 5
    Have anybody bought an 07 sonata gls recently? I'm planning to buy either an 07 accord LX or a sonata gls within two weeks. Have somebody bought an 07 gls at or below invoice price recently? I got an offer for accord a few hundreds above invoice but not for sonata. Any inputs?
    I have to agree with you. The insurance cost for a 16 year old can be prohibitive. I have an 18 yr old and he is paying $2200 a year for insurance and that doesn't include collision. A boy just learning to drive is almost a positive accident looking to happen and that is why insurance costs are so high for them. I think it is better to buy them a safe, good used car for about #3000 to $5000. The kid may not like it but you will rest better knowing they are in a safe car. (Volvo, buick, pontiac etc.) Something with a good safety rating.
  • lemonade2lemonade2 Member Posts: 31
    Bought a 2007 GLS Auto with white Pearl Paint, Option Group #2 (Auto drivers seat...etc) and carpeted floor mats:

MSRP: $19,680
    Invoice: $18,396
    Paid: $16,838

I did not take any rebates as I went for the 1.9% financing instead.

The only additional costs for me were:
    New Plates in NY: $150.00
    Tax (Long Island); $1,456
  • nyer10nyer10 Member Posts: 21
    That sounds like a good price -- especially if you didn't even take a rebate. I'm shopping in New York too. Can you tell me what dealer you bought from and what the overall experience was like with them?
    Thanks
  • amaoamao Member Posts: 38
    Lemonade2, how did you get that price? They are giving you almost $1600 below INVOICE price and there is No rebate involved. This is absolute amazing.
  • lemonade2lemonade2 Member Posts: 31
    When I first went in the best I could get them down to was $17,838 (before rebates). This was in the middle of August. I went back every few days and tried to get a better deal but they would not budge.

On August 30th I went in and spoke to the salesman. He let me in on 2 manufacturer to dealer incentives.

1) If the dealership sells 100 cars in a month there is a bonus for the dealership. As of aug 30st they were at 97. (Also this dealership had NEVER reached 100/month before).

2) There is an additional manufacturer to dealer program specific for Sonata sales.

I wanted a 4 cylinder Sonata...white was not my first choice and it was the only 4 cylinder they had on the lot as of the 30th...so I left.

The next day (Aug 31st) the salesman called and asked if there was anything he could do to sell me the whiteSonata before the month ended. I told him since it was not my first choice in color I needed an additional $1,000 off the price...without even a pause he agreed.

So the end result was; I was happy with my deal and the dealership was happy as they ended up selling 104 cars for the month. Everybody won!!
  • padraikpadraik Member Posts: 8
    Hi folks,
    I'll be buying a Sonata by the end of the month and I'm wondering if anyone on this board has any experience with dealers in the Central Valley in California. I'd be willing to hit the Stockton/Sacramento/Bay Area as well, so any reviews (positive OR negative) would be much appreciated.
  • oinktrntoinktrnt Member Posts: 22
    I can tell you one place to AVOID. That would be Bob Lewis Hyundai in San Jose. They sold me a 2006 GL on 8/26/06 with only a 'valet' key, no keyfobs nor owner's manual. They cut the keys, gave me one keyfob and ordered the other fob and manual the day I brought the finance check in. Since I was driving another vehicle that day, was informed I would have to bring the car in to have the fob coded. That means I would have to give at least part of a day's pay plus the gas going there and back (90 miles roundtrip). Was informed I could have this done at a dealership that was closer, but might have to pay for this service. As of this date, I am still waiting for these items to be mailed to me. Mail delivery in my neighborhood is unreliable, i.e., get things addressed to other buildings on this block or another street, sometimes missing things I am expecting. These items should have been provided when I drove the car away. Complained to Hyundai via email on their site, no response. Talked to person on their complaint line, no response. I like the car better than when I bought it, but if this is an example of how Hyundai customers are treated, I'll have to spend more for a Camry next time.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I just received the following price quotes from a local Hyundai dealer. Any comments on the prices would be welcome. Prices include the respective rebates ($500 for GLS, $1,500 for Limited, and the $500 Loyalty Rebate). Prices do not include tax, title, or license fees (obviously).

2007 Sonata GLS Automatic w/Premium Package and Carpet Floor Mats, $16,194

2007 Sonata Limited, No options, but with Carpet Floor Mats, $18,465.

These are valid and firm prices from a dealer that I have bought from previously. And, they apparently want my business again.

Now, I just have to decide on which trim, but the price on the Limited is very tempting. I'm just a bit concerned about the fuel economy, and long term maintenance differential cost on the V6 compared to the GLS' I4.