Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    calmnikcalmnik Member Posts: 4
    Hey prince. Did you buy the sonata and if so from where? Can you give some numbers. I'm in the dallas area and called randall. Sales guy played games and would not give me an OTD price. "Around 10%" - yeah right.
    On top that he was pretty much lying and trying to convince me that the Freeman ad price of 15,888 was with military discount. I haven't explicitly asked Freeman(will before I reach there) but I don't think the Freeman price of 15,888 is with mil discount. Freeman is quoting me 17100 OTD on 07 GLS Auto 4 cyl with no options, so if I do the math correctly they's charging anywhere from 70-100 in dealer fees.
  • Options
    hotrod54hotrod54 Member Posts: 82
    that looks to be a very good price :)
  • Options
    mort4371mort4371 Member Posts: 27
    After studying these message boards for a while, I decided to check out Fitzmall since I'm in PA and not too far away.

Wanted a base SE with XM (late build), and wanted specific color (Steel Gray). None in Fitz's stock, but they said they will get it for me. Salesman quoted me $19050, and said that will be their starting 'internet price' for XM-equipped SE's as they get them in stock.

Going on Tuesday to get my trade appraised. Anyone have any experience with them regarding trades? I don't expect an inflated trade price, as I know they don't have a lot of margin to play with, but have they been fair to you?

Thanks!
  • Options
    nik8nik8 Member Posts: 9
    OTD came to 17,100. I bought the car with no options at all. Steel gray ext with gray interior.

I bought it from Freeman Hyundai in Irving and had an excellent buying experience. OTD price was agreed to via e-mail before I stepped into the showroom. Absolutely no surprises when I got there and no upsell or bait/switch whatsoever.

Car was detailed and topped up with gas before I got there. Highly recommend Freeman. I solicited quotes from several Hyundai dealers in the Dallas area and advise that folks be careful when dealing with:

Huffines both in McKinney and Plano
    Randall Noe
    Texoma Hyundai
  • Options
    xj220xj220 Member Posts: 78
    While I have now purchased two vehicles from Fitz, I have never traded in any of my previous cars with them. I personally sell all my cars. Yes, it takes a bit of time and effort, but I'm sure I've saved at least $1,000/car verses trading it in.

BTW: Fitz has several lots, but their two main lots are Rockville (famous for the DC Sniper) and Gaithersburg. I purchased one from each place and both times I had outstanding experiences. Just be wary of some of the salespeople. One of them (he must've come straight out of highschool) knew less about the vehicle than I did. He also naively threw away the ID tag for my alarm transmitter (the ID tells me what transmitter goes with my car in case I lose them). And also be wary that they absolutely will not/can not negotiate on the price. Believe me, I tried even knocking down the price a measly $12 (to make at even $14k for my 2003 Elantra) but he said he couldn't.
  • Options
    sliggsligg Member Posts: 109
    I tried last year to buy a Sonata from Manhattan Hyundai but the deal went bad and mysteriously my driver's license disappeared. It was a high sales pressure pitch with every cliche in the book, even feeding the salesman's children. I offered a care package for the poor children. I walked.

I still see their Hyundai ads in the local newspapers, so I don't know about the switch to Nissan.
  • Options
    sliggsligg Member Posts: 109
    I live in the NYC area and I just never see the 06/07 Sonata on the streets. I know the car took a sales hit but I don't know how bad. I get the impression the 07 is already a lame duck. I was going to buy the 2007 but...

1. Mechanical problems.
    2. Could not get Steel Gray with Black Interior.
    3. Negotiating with the dealer snake pits is such a turn off.

So I'm out of the market until 2008

Hyundai will never compete in America with Toyota and Honda in sales: Hyundai will always be a third tier car behind Nissan, Mazda.
  • Options
    eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    Sligg: As the owner of a 2006 Hyundai Sonata I4, I can only hope you are mistaken.

Based on my experience of purchasing and driving cars for over 50 years I believe you are mistaken. The reason I believe this is that I have seen the fall of the Packard Motorcar Company (one of the most respected car companys of all time) and several other long-standing highly respected car companys manufactured and sold in this country, all long gone now. One of the most devastating things that can happen to any individual, or company, is to rest on your laurels and be to proud of past achievements. We're witnessing this now with our own General Motors and Ford automobile companies.

As the owner of a 92 Honda Accord, and someone who tried very hard to purchase another Honda in 2006, I can only tell you that it seems to me, based on this experience and what I am reading on these boards, that this "proud syndrome" seems to be settling in on Toyota and Honda, and something seems to be terribly wrong at Mazda(Ford purchasing one-third of them?)

On the other hand, Hyundai seem to understand what it is all about and are investing the money and time producing excellent automobiles. I base this opinion on my own personal experience and what I am reading on these boards and from national testing publications.

I do not see a lot of Hyundai automobiles on the streets of my city either, and I live in a fairly large South Western location. But I do see more of them now than I did several years ago, so sales are increasing. It also seems Hyundai is spending more money on national advertising.

So all of this, taken together, tells me that Hyundai will be around for some time into the future. At least that is my take on the subject.
  • Options
    craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    You should take #1 off your list. Only two problems have been reported here in the forums and both are being taken care of by Hyundai.

When I vist Florida I see a lot of Hyundais on the road, a lot. Since I bought mine I see a few more around town. I expect to see more since my dealership has nine preowned for sale.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I know the car took a sales hit but I don't know how bad

It did take a hit the past few months, but only because Hyundai severely cut back on fleet sales.

Hyundai sales release

Overall, the Sonata seems to be doing very well in my area (Laurel Highlands of PA).
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    The Sonata is, by far, Hyundai's biggest seller in the US.

For the year 2006 there were 149,513 Sonatas sold in the US. That compares with 130,365 sold in 2005.

However, in December 2006, only 10,149 Sonatas were sold here versus the 20,853 sold in December 2005.

Fewer fleet sales (but why is that?) and possibly the $500 drop in the rebate from $1500 to $1000 contributed to that whopping decrease in December.

Only the Shadow knows! :)
  • Options
    papadelagpapadelag Member Posts: 1
    I am considering Freeman. Does the OTD price include rebates, TT&L?

Thanks
  • Options
    Perhaps they don't want their cars to be perceived as "good for a rental" car?
  • Options
    yankee23yankee23 Member Posts: 16
    I've now driven about 500 miles in my 2007 Sonata Limited and am very pleased. I was able to get the black leather interior but had to settle for my second choice of exterior color, black (first was steel grey). Since I buy a new car every ten years I splurged a little and got the Ultimate package (V-6, moonroof, etc). It's a pleasure to drive, has lots of power, but I'm only averaging about 24-25mpg over mostly highway driving. From other posts, I've heard the mpg will improve as the engine wears in, but I was wondering if this was typical and what increase I could expect. I've heard very nice comments from many people on the car most of which end with "That's a Hyundai??". Maybe they aren't flying out of the showroom, but I'm kind of glad it's not the same as every third car on the road.
  • Options
    eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    You should get fairly close to the EPA estimate on the highway mileage,(city will be less), once the engine is well broken in...about 5,000 miles or so.
  • Options
    ben_thomasben_thomas Member Posts: 2
    Here is the guy who refused to quote me by email
    "How dare you give a bad phone number. The price for some one like you is $50,000"

Wow...Anyone else have bad experiences with them?
  • Options
    If he worked for me and someone told what he said I would fire him.
  • Options
    I wouldn't trust buying any car in College Park, MD...just because they know there's a lot of ignorant college students in the area, who don't know any better about what they can actually get for their money. I've been touting Fitz in this forum (I feel like a spokesman for them now), which is only a 40 minute drive up 495/270.
  • Options
    Let Fitz know you are doing this....could be $$ in it for you. What we in the car biz call a bird dog fee. :)
  • Options
    trunvestrtrunvestr Member Posts: 32
    Fitz may be okay but when I called about the limited sonata that they had listed they said it included the XM radio. I asked why didn't list it and their response was that it's standard. I said I doubted it an the salesperson went out to the lot to look and returned to the phone to say that the car had XM. The sales person was pleasant but just not knowledgeable. They DID call me back in an hour or so to say that the cars did NOT have XM but that they were getting ONE Limited in soon (which they now have). The point is you need to do your own research. Also the model number for the Limited with XM is 26462 NOT 25462. Most of Fitz'z stock is the older model WITHOUT XM. Beware.
  • Options
    wcw1wcw1 Member Posts: 44
    I am shopping a 2007 Limited with Ultimate package and floormats. Fitz in Clearwater is $23,445 which my local dealer will meet. This is the total out the door price tax, tag, fees and everything. Fitz in Gaithersburg, Maryland has the same exact same car for $22,446 out the door with the same things included. My local dealers will not even try to match that price and say the car won't be sold for that price. My question is, does anyone know how Fitz Maryland can sell for $1,000 less than Fitz Florida? The invoice prices are shown as the same price. I see part of the price is Fitz Florida charges a $399 dealer fee and Fitz Maryland charges a $99 dealer fee. That still leaves a difference of about $700.

All of the Maryland prices are better than the Florida prices.

I can get a flight to Washington Dulles Airport for $69 plus some gas and time to get home. Long ride but big savings.

Any input appreciated.

:confuse:
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Gaithersburg will not be charging you tax as you will not be registering the car in MD. You'll have to pay FL tax when you register the car in FL.
  • Options
    sty1sty1 Member Posts: 22
    To the proud owners of a 2007 Sonata Limited

How much do you pay for the auto insurance with ample coverage?

- for Sonata limited W/O OPTIONS
    - for Sonata Limited w/ Ultimate PKG

thanks for your time!
  • Options
    That is all taken into consideration. The numbers are based on paying the tax and registration in Florida. The numbers reflect my total cost of ownership.

22,344.50 OTD Fitz Florida without taxes and registration.
    21,414.00 OTD Fitz Maryland without taxes and registration.

These numbers reflect the $1000 rebate.

Still the question, how can Fitz Maryland be about $1000 less than Fitz Florida on the same car?
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Perhaps you meant to say an "earlier build date", rather than an "older model."
  • Options
    That's a very simple question, but unfortunately there is no meaningful, simple answer.

Just some examples, what town and state do you live in, your age, marital status, driving record, what is "ample coverage", physical damage deductibles, optional coverages, currently continuously insured for over 6 months and present amount of liability insurance, homeownership, insurance score (based somewhat on credit score), usage (miles to work, business or strictly pleasure use), number of payments, pay by mail or automatic electronic fund transfer or paid in full "up front." Some insurance companies offer extra discount for LoJack, some don't. One of the insurance companies I represent, here in CT, offers an educational discount with a variable discount based on "some college, 2 year degree, 4 year degree and post graduate."

However, I think your main question is what is the diference in insurance cost for the Sonata Limited without options compared to the Sonata Limited with the Ultimate PKG: in CT, there is no difference due to options within a models' trim level. This may be different in other states, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    balthazarwbalthazarw Member Posts: 6
    Whats the diff?

Understand that there are 4 vs. three levels.

Newest 2007s have XM radio.

Different packaging of options - that I will research.

But - are they assembled in same place?

Are there problems commonly found in 2006s that have been fixed in 2007s?

Any reason NOT to bypass a 2007 for a comparably equipped 2006 if it is quite a bit cheaper?

And, Minnesotans - comments about local dealer services?
    thanks
  • Options
    mort4371mort4371 Member Posts: 27
    My wife and I got our Sonata last night. Another Fitzmall customer, even though several dealers are closer to us. So far, I'm satisfied with the purchase experience, as long as there are no after-the-fact surprises.

The salesman located us the car we wanted (Steel Gray, SE, XM, Roof, mats) in another dealer's inventory. Fitz went and got the car yesterday, took it to White Flint for final prep, then drove it to their Chambersburg, PA Toyota/Nissan franchise for us to pick up (lots closer for us than the DC-area stores).

Sticker $22,980; Invoice $21,761; we paid (including the $99 processing fee but before any TTL) $19,660. Nobody in our area will go much (or any) below invoice; Fitz went $1100 below invoice on a late-build car that wasn't even their own inventory.

Pretty happy to find someone who was willing to go find what we wanted and still make us a good deal on it.
  • Options
    First off, I doubt the Fitz in Florida is related to the ones in MD, PA. I could be wrong. Did you see anything about a Fitz in Florida in their corp website?

I've bought two Hyundais from Fitz (one in Gaithersburg, MD and the other in Rockville, MD) and all I can say is that I couldn't find a better deal anywhere else.

In any case, you should absolutely ask every question you can think of to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Ask for the build date, number of miles, how long it's been on the lot, exterior/interior colors, how many are available -- all of these factors have an affect on their price. Build date is important because it will tell you whether or not it has the updated tires, warning chime, suspension, and/or steering controls. (You should ask about each of these things anyways). Lastly, make sure you're not comparing one with XM radio to one without.
  • Options
    Fitz Florida and Fitz Maryland are definitely related. When you go to Fitz main website it says SEE OUR FLORIDA INVENTORY.

I just purchased a Dark Cherry Limited Ultimate with floor mats from King Hyundai in Deerfield Beach, FL. The total OTD price was $22975 which is about $500 less than Fitzmall was offering in in Clearwater, Florida. $500 more than Fitzmall Maryland but about a 1000 miles closer. My local dealers would not match the price. The local dealers have an additional $2,500 market adjustment added on all the local cars.

I did not ask the build date and would like to know what is an important or critical build date for the 2007 Limited.

There were only two Cherry Limited Ultimates showing up in inventory in Florida. I saw the search results so I did not have much to choose from. My wife said RED. End of story.

Thanks for the input. I pick the car up tomorrow afternoon so I would be interested in the build date issue.

My basis for comparison was the MSRP price and invoice were the same.
  • Options
    xj 220 or others:

so I take it that sometime in 06 there were:
    tire changes (what to what and why?),
    warning chime change (is a fix of the "too loud" complaint?)
    suspension - what's the issue there?
    steering controls - do you mean expanded radio controls on the steering wheel or - something that turns the wheels?

aligatogozaemus

J
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Check the "Sonata rear thump thread" for the suspension problems. The other items were changed in the 2007 model year. All the info is in the Sonata forum if you'll just spend the time to look.
  • Options
    hey bhmr99... I was gonna ask for the actual $$$ amount for the auto insurance you got for your sonata Limited. Anyway, I finally got a quote from my insurance agent and he says it is $522.50 - that includes the basic warranty for CA ($500 collision deductible, liability etc). Is this amount hefty?
  • Options
    the warning chime was changed to sound when you started the car and not come back on until you went over 6 MPH. I would appreciate that. :)

Yes expanded radio controls.

Tires?
  • Options
    Sorry, I can't give you a meaningful answer due to all the variables I mentioned earlier.

That would be a pretty good price in my area of CT, if you have at least $300,000 of liability and it is a six months premium. It would be fantastic if it is an annual premium.

But, that still doesn't really tell you anything. Rates can vary greatly within a state--never mind from one state to another. I live in a "town" of about 34,000 people. A bordering "city" with a population of about 155,000 has insurance rates that are about 60% higher due to the loss experience of that city vs my town.
  • Options
    Well, I was hoping for a lower cost - but I suspect my being single has something to do with the insurance quote. And yes, I have 100k/300k liability and it is for 6 months.

Wait... you work for an insurance company eh?
  • Options
    Has anyone already purchased the late model Sonata's with the XM? I could care less about XM but I've read that the late model has fixed the other problems (chime one of them) from the earlier 2007 Sonata models. Am in the market for one now and looking to get a new car in 2-3 months. Was told that dealers give a better deal at month-end so I'll time my purchase around that time.

thanks for your input.
  • Options
    The chime change took effect on anything built after Sept 15, 2005.
  • Options
    We did a deal today for 2006 LX V6 demo with 7500 miles.

All the top of line geegaws plus
    - sunroof
    - 6 cd changer and extra speaker audio

Paid $19,300 before TTL (and a $100 reward to a relative in parts dept.)

I wanted to stay with the 99 Passat or to bargain for the $16,600-$17,000 '07 GLS with 4 cyl., auto and power seat then add an after market seat heater. But SWMBO will drive it and I was caught between unstoppable force and immovable object.

Morrie's Bkln Park Hyundai in MN
  • Options
    No, I am an independent agent representing more than one insurance company.
  • Options
    Shiwala (or whoever had dealt with auto dealership internet manager): I emailed the internet manager of the Concord dealiership (where Shiwala bought his car) and I told the internet manager that I want this exterior/interior color for a Hyundai Sonata Limited with Ultimate Package, and that I want to know the OTD price. I also mentioned I'll be paying cash. Am I giving myself away too soon (should I have held off about paying cash?) Anyway after a week the internet manager came back with a $25000 OTD price.

I like shiwala's deal ($23244 OTD price) so I do I reply back to the internet MGR? Should I just say outright that I want the OTD price of $23500? Or what should my approach be?

Too bad I could not see shiwala's email. Again if anyone has an input I thank you for it.
  • Options
    cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    You shouldn't be paying more than $23,500 OTD for an ULTIMATE. A LIMITED should be closer to around $22,200. $25K is CRAZY :confuse:

Don't play games...be up front with what you want and know all your facts. Get the invoice detail off of Edmunds or KBB.com with the understanding there's typically another $1,000 to play with on the hold-back and advertising side.

There IS a dealer out there that will give you what you want...don't get discouraged if this one won't ;)
  • Options
    For the 2007 V6 models the tires changed from 225/50/17 to 215/55/17. I have the later. I think the change was made due to complaints about the harsh ride. Although 55 series would hardly make much difference. I'd prefer 60s, which is pretty much the norm for mid-size V6 sedans.
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Just sniffing around here after buying an Optima four cylinder. Know we're talking about two different engines here, but I paid $16,100 with 50 series Michelins (appreciate the discussion about 50's v. 55's--I'm not looking forward to replacement costs) and leather. $25,000 for any Sonata seems outrageous. I would have thought you could get a pretty nice Azera for that kind of scratch.

I realize the Optima is essentially an overgrown Elantra as far as platform is concerned, but I drove both Optimas and Sonatas and couldn't find much difference (other than the extra punch with the V-6, if I had to go with one of those I'd probably get a Sonata-- but not for almost ten thou. extra.

I guess I should be happy that there's this kind of demand for Korean iron. I paid $11.1 in 2001 for a rather nice Elantra. I was shocked to see what had happened to that car as far as $$$ inflation.

I guess this is a good size for decent resale going forward.
  • Options
    Guess it was $23.5, not $25. Still seems high.
  • Options
    I bought my Mother a 2006.5 Optima LX I4 last fall after her car was totaled in an accident. She loves it and I got a great deal...$15,050 OTD. Would have gotten her a Sonata but the rebates were not nearly as good at the time. If I was going to do it all over again today, I would look at the I4 Optima for myself as I am highly impressed with her car and I think the interior of the Optima blows the Sonata away!!!
  • Options
    Just as a heads up to all...in the Philadelphia area, new 2006 AZERA SE models are going for a little over $19K...man what a deal!

If I was looking at 2007 Sonata's today and learned I could get an Azera SE OTD for around $20,500...wouldn't be a very difficult decision to make :D
  • Options
    Hi cableguy, thank you for those words of encouragement.

Here is the email reply I got back from the internet manager

"I can email back & forth prices all day, however the bottom line is that offer is low. I spoke to my boss & if you come down & pick a car that you like that we have in stock we will give you a great deal. However I can not agree to loose money on a deal when you are not even here. So please do us & yourself a favor & come talk with us in person.
    Thank you for your time"

Cableguy, I chose this stupid dealership because Shiwala got his Sonata LTD (w/UP) at the same dealership in the same area. So I'm "shocked" at the reply I got from the internet manager.
  • Options
    None of these cars are rarities. I'd shop other dealers, unless you need the high end v-6 I'd shop Kia as well. At nineteen or twenty thou for an Azera I'd shop that as well, even if it meant buying a one-way ticket to Philly.

Three of my four favorite cars were Korean. The other a Malibu Maxx. None of these were anything but commodities. That's why they're being bought by rental companies. The cars I buy depreciate more than most-- I try to run 'em into the ground.

Never be afraid to walk away from a deal if they're trying to gig you. Plenty of other dealers out there. That's why I've never bought a new Toyota or Honda.
  • Options
    Hah... after reviewing shiwalla's note I realized I didnt factor in the $1500 hyundai factory rebate. So if I take out the factory rebate then it'll be around $23800 OTD. Yeah still its "high" would be happier if it were $23000 flat :)

No wonder the dealer was miffed at his email when I asked for $23K OTD price cause I didnt realize I hadn't factored in the Hyundai rebate. Oh well, there's more dealers out there.