Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    We bought in Feb, '07 from Towne Hyundai in Denville, NJ. We're in CT and it was a 100 mile drive.

At that time there was a general rebate of $1K, plus $1K for HMFC financing (5.9% for 60 months), plus we qualified for $500 owner loyalty rebate. Town Hyundai was selling Sonatas @ $1900 under invoice in Feb.

Our price was $16,651 plus $189 doc fee plus $200 for registration and title (including 20 day NJ temporary registration) plus 6% CT sales tax. Total OTD was $18,189.

We did not get an option package. The only option was floor mats which added 50-some odd $ to the base price of the car.
  • sliggsligg Member Posts: 109
    I don't understand the $200 on top of the $189 documentation fee. The temporary registration in NJ costs $5.00.

Bad enough that the doc fee is excessive but the $200 was pure dealer profit at your expense. You should not have paid this rip-off fee.
    My friend who bought a new Azera from Towne in April and a used Sonata for his son in June, learned that they use a service for handling out of state (non-NJ) registration & title processing, that costs Towne some of that $200. We looked at their bottom line price.

Sligg, we've been through this before: would you rather pay $16,651 plus $189 doc fee or $17,500 plus $39 doc fee? Simple question. Simple "yes" or "no" answer.

I knew the title & reg fees were higher than the actual CT fees. However, I also knew Towne's price was over $2,500 less than the local dealer wanted (before adding his doc fee at $378 plus about $75 override on the title & reg).

Compared to Fitzmall's doc fee of only $99, Towne's price was still $800 better (plus they are only 100 miles away vs 400+/- miles to DC area).

Towne sold the car for $4400 under invoice (including the rebates), $5429 less than sticker on a $22,080 MSRP.

You're just too hung up on the amount of doc fee any dealers charges. We all know the doc fee is 100% to the dealer, but "so what" if the dealers has discounted the price enough?
  • llzzllzz Member Posts: 2
    07 Sonata is out of stock at the dealers around my area. Anyone have a purchase experiece of 08 Sonata GLS? Thanks.
  • atlbuyeratlbuyer Member Posts: 16
    Did you buy from Hyundai of Decatur? They are giving me the best deal by at least $500, but I don't want to drive 4 hours from atlanta just to be disappointed. Any info would be appreciated on that dealer.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I didn't but from them however I did get assistance from someone there who was straight forward with me and provided the information I needed.
  • carbuyer34carbuyer34 Member Posts: 12
    Hi. I need to find a good dealer in New York on a 2008 sonata gls auto option pkg 1. The lowest price I have come across is $ 19,500 Oh I would like to lease this vehicle. I tried 3 dealers today and everyone gave me the impression that they have no idea about leases?
    I completed the deal last night for a Steel Gray 07 SE with sunroof. I couldn't get any Atlanta dealers to match Towne Hyundai's internet pricing. Hyundai of Decatur in Alabama's price for a Base SE was 17k, but was a 4 hour drive. When I was single, w/out a 6 month old, I would not hesitate to make that drive! The closest I could get was 17.5k in Atlanta at Jim Ellis. Their internet sales from day one was the best to work with in the area. However, they thought they had the car, but didn't. They had to dealer trade, but there's not a lot of stock around here. No dealer would release the cars for trades, especially b/c I was negotiating with them on those cars. So Jim Ellis sold me an SE with moonroof for:
    17,942.50 selling price including dealer fees
    1256 tax (7%)
    42 tag/title/lemon
    =19415
    -1200 trade in
    -400 college graduate just got my doctorate (pat myself on the back)
    -500 finance thru HFMC at 7.69%
    Total=17190

I was going to pay cash, but wanted to take advantage of the rebate/college rebate. The APR is not so good even though I have top FICO, but I can pay off after 90 days. As for the trade in of my 99 Taurus, Carmax offered less, so I just took their first offer. My wife is happy with the car, so I'm happy!
    Oh, also, I decided against the extended warranty. I thought it was a zero deductible and agreed to 950 (first offer was 1595!), but found out it's a 100$ deductible. Ouch! I remember somewhere there's a forum about the warranty from Hyundai. Anyone know where I can get more info? Thanks!
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    Congratulations on the doctorate.

New baby. Mrs. obviously isn't working with newborn. Also assume you were full time student. And still able to pay cash.

Now that calls for CONGRATULATIONS! :)
  • joediejoedie Member Posts: 16
    Congrats to you! You deserve a new car. I went back to the ealership to get my plates put on yesterday. I am happy with Saturn. It seems like I finallystarted to learn something in looking and researching, but I had to get a car.
  • astiffastiff Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: My buying story, on a 07 SE with sunroof added, I just paid 18.5K, this included all the rebates including the $500 Hyundai financing which I did not want but to get another $500 off I finally thought why not? I will pay it off asap, dealer said to wait at least 3 months. Not sure if this is a good deal or not but I just got fed up squabbling over a few hundred and was ready to bail out until they finally dropped a few hundred off to get it to this final price. I still have to pay the sales tax (in RI it is at 7%) and the registration fees. They had it on the lot at 20.3K marked down from 23k (not that that means much)
    Sounds like a great deal. Did you pay cash?
  • schandaischandai Member Posts: 10
    After negotiating the price for an 07 Sonata GLS, we went to the last stop at finance manager's office. He sat behind a computer punching keys and blurting out numbers real quick at us, you know, the car price, minus rebate, plus tax, doc fee, title etc... An he threw out a final total dollar amount. I tried to jot down the numbers, and to add them up by hand. The finance manager looked at us impatiently as if we were wasting his time.
    But guess what, his number was wrong, $100 more. I pointed that out, and he said "oops, must have hit the wrong key". Yeah right! (I knew by his quick response that he was wrong on purpose.)
    I read somewhere (maybe this forum) that this was a standard ploy to scam you. If they get caught, oops, "honest" mistake. If not, you are robbed.
    So potential buyers beware, bring with you a calculator or do it by hand, double check everything before signing that line.
  • dcpateldcpatel Member Posts: 7
    Nope. I did Hyundai Finance so I got $500 rebate.
    What was your total cost of the car including finance? This is the only way I can compare. You got a great deal. Just curious if you did the balloon financing or what percenatge you are paying. Plus how much down?
    My OTD price is $16360. No ballon financing and my APR is 7.99%. I am gonna pay loan after 3rd payment. I have put $11000 as down payment.
  • gofishgofish Member Posts: 24
    OK All - I've been eavesdropping on Sonata and Accord "prices paid" posts for some time now. Also have been researching availability, window shopping, etc. So far I've resisted the buying bug but may be getting ready to pounce. Time for me to participate!

I've come to realize from these posts that it is possible to get in upwards of $1800+ under invoice on an '07 before even applying rebates (e.g., Towne Hyundai). I also understand dealer/salesman tactics and to watch for hidden fees, etc (this would be my 3rd new car purchase in 6 years). What I'm getting a little confused about now are the rebates; $2500 basic, then of course there is the potential for military, college graduate etc. Currently at Hyundai's web site I only see the HMFC $500 available as an "OR" not an "AND". In other words, $2500 rebate and cash/conventional rate financing, OR $500 rebate combined with special rate HMFC financing. How are some of you getting $2500 + $500 combined? What rate do you get offered when you do that? Are there early payoff penalties and if so what is the minimum term requirement?

In any case I too am looking at 07 GLS I4 Auto with at least the premium package and mats, maybe more depending on a particular dealer's selection. For comparison I have also looked at '07 Accords which can be had for a very good deal relative to what one usually gets from Honda, but still more than Sonata with less equipment. Also looked at Kia Optima which mates the I4 to the 5 spd auto which Sonata only offers on V6 models. Problem with Optima is that there is far less selection and ABS/ESC is optional with hardly any availability. You can price-even the GLS that I am considering with an Optima LX I4 auto equipped with appearance package and ESC (Hyundai has XM and power drivers seat versus alloys, fog lights and 5spd auto for the Kia), but because of little availability, there are likely no deals like Hyundai's.

I am in SW Ohio (Cinci-Dayton-Columbus). Anyone experienced with Superior Fairfield in Cinci. Also I travel to western PA often; anyone have experiences with Bowser on Route 51. These are some dealers that still have selection.

Thank you everyone. Your posts are very helpful to say the least. If I strike I will post details that hopefully the next purchaser can use to their advantage.
  • roypkroypk Member Posts: 8
    Is this I4 or V6; also is it manual or auto. Thanks.
    Do you know if GLS 4 cyl 2007 model available in the Atlanta area. I see plenty of 6 cyl in the Atlanta area dealer's website but not 4 cyl.

Other than Jim Ellis did you try any other dealer. Thanks.
  • gofishgofish Member Posts: 24
    From MSRP looks like:

GLS w/XM I4 Automatic Base $18,545
    Destination 650
    Premium Package 550
    Paint Premium 200
    Mats 85

TOTAL 20,030
    Most dealers are out of them. However, Rick Case said they had some, but I'm doubtful. When I went to test drive, they gave me an 08, saying that it drives the same and they couldn't find where the 07's were parked. I did not like dealing with them. Old style slimy carsalesman tricks. Jim Ellis was much easier thru the internet dept. Good luck!
    I bought and the financing guy said that I had to finance at least 10k to get the rebates. How much did you finance? I got a 7.65 APR. Will still come out ahead after paying off in 90days, but I thought I'd only need to finance about 5k. I wonder if he screwed me.
    I financed $5360. I put $11000 down.
    I don't think you have to wait 90 days, at least that was not the policy in the past.

Suggest you call HMFC when you receive your first statement. The statement will show the pay off balance which includes interest up to a specified date. Just clarify that you may pay off the loan when making your first payment.
  • craigblitzcraigblitz Member Posts: 20
    Wow, I am pricing the Sonata's and Honda Civics and I have been able to negotiate a really good deal for the Civic, but it darn near impossible to price a Sonata and see what other people are paying because of all the ways you can configure it. I wonder if they do that in purpose....lol
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Interesting... Edmunds.com lists 8 styles for the 2007 Sonata, and 27 styles for the Civic. Honda's mid-sizer, the Accord, has 33 (!) styles listed. The Sonata has some option packages available on those 8 styles with features such as power seats and moonroofs, which are not available or available on only a few trims of the Civic. But they are common options for mid-sized cars, so Hyundai offers them. Anyway, as you can see from this discussion with 4000+ posts, lots of folks are having success pricing Sonatas and reporting on what they paid. Hope you have better luck with that in the future.
    I will definitely call to find out about the 90 days. I asked the finance guy to show me where it states that you have to wait 90 days to pay it off, and he couldn't. However, he claimed that it would state that on the first statement.
  • robert1955robert1955 Member Posts: 39
    17,905 OTD thats the base SE with Mats. The Dealer keeping the $2500 dollar rebate. My salesman had sold 4 cars to my in-laws so it was a simple deal to swing. My only complaint is I worked a deal on line with the internet manager for a Deepwater Blue SE at $17,795 OTD with no cash from me, other than the check for the car, and when I got there I found out it was the dealer shuttle car with 4,500 miles and scratcher on all panels and a bad rub on the front bumper. They had a Steel Gray w/mats and 480 miles that I got instead. They still have 10 2007 SE's and 38 GLS's on the lot.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    What other colors did they have in the SE version? And were there any '08's on the lot? Have heard that the '08 interior fabric is a bit nicer than the three earlier years.

The Sandman :)
    Black, Deepwater Blue, Cherry Red and both Whites. And yes they have 08's It is Ourisman Hyundai in Laurel MD.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Were they the pearl white colors or the regular white. I got up close & personal ;) with the pearlized white version and really loved the paint. Pearlized paint is so much nicer than metallic, but I have to admit when my Galaxy Gray Civic is freshly waxed, it's metallic does look sharp. Too bad Honda didn't offer the same color with pearlized paint...would've been killer!

The Sandman :shades:
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    The PhD proves you're smart and educated, the Sonata proves you have common sense! Congrats on the car, the baby, and the the handle. :D
    By both whites I was saying the had the Pearl and the plain white.
  • effect18effect18 Member Posts: 41
    Here's my deal.

I got the car for 23,300 OTD including taxes and fees. I live in NJ and the taxes are 7%. I had to trade in my Ford Taurus which I was upside down on so I had to eat $800. I put down 3grand and financed 20,300 at 6.4% interest rate w/ payments at 395 a month for 5 years. Did I get a good price?
  • geffengeffen Member Posts: 278
    That seems a bit high or maybe its just because its a platinum edition? did you get any rebates or incentives off of the Sonata? I couldn't see having close to a $400 a month payment for a Sonata.
  • rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    Although you didn't mention whether your 2007 Limited Platinum Edition is with or without XM Satellite I believe you got a very good deal. :D Here's why: If you got XM, the invoice price of the car is $24,716 - $2,500 rebate = $22,216. If it doesn't have XM, the invoice price of the car is $24,275 - $2,500 rebate = 21,775. I don't know how NJ applies its sales tax to new automobile sales but in my state (Illinois) and many others as well, the sales tax is applied to the difference between the before rebate price of the vehicle minus the trade-in allowance (doesn't matter how much you still owed when figuring the tax). In other words the more the dealer gives you for your old car the less sales tax you have to pay. Since you didn't say how much the dealer allowed you for the Taurus or provide enough information to appraise it, I cannot calculate the sales tax. However, let's assume your dealer gave you $16,000 for the Taurus which you might get if it were a 2007 SEL with every conceivable option, excellent condition and very low mileage. :D If that were the case then the sales tax would have been about $400. There is also the $800 you were upside down plus tax title and license. Sounds to me like you were charged a very fair OTD price and got a good finance rate to boot. Congratulations and hope you enjoy your Sonata as much as I do. I believe that you will find that the pleasure this car gives you is well worth $400/month. :)
    What was the selling price before rebates? What was the year of the Taurus and how much of a trade-in allowance did you get?
    "... What was the year of the Taurus and how much of a trade-in allowance did you get?

In my rush to commend effect18 for his deal, I failed to consider the possibility that the dealer may have undervalued the trade-in. In addition to the year of the Taurus, what was its condition, trim, options, and mileage?
    Thanx for the reply, well to start I did get the XM version with 3 months of free XM radio. My Taurus was a 2002 SE w/ Traction Control with 57,000 miles on it. It's body was in good condition with no large dents but multiple(maybe 40) dime sized dents in the roof and hood(possible caught in a hail storm, was like that when i bought it). It had been in two accidents in the past 2 years, both of which were to the front suspension and body(insurance fixed). It caused me problems all the time, the engine would cut off when I sat at a traffic light, or when i came to a stop sign. It would always start back up, but it was a pain. My engine light also would come on like every month, and the error was always o2 sensor, but every time i fixed it, it would come on again. They gave me 4,500 for the car, but my payoff was 5,300. Thats where the extra 800 I had to eat came in.
    Edmunds appraises the trade-in value for an average condition car like yours for $3,905. Kelley Blue Book appraises a fair condition car like yours for $3,885. So it appears that your dealership gave you a fair amount by allowing you $4,500 for your trade. Looks like you got the Platinum XM for about $23,500 (about $1,200 under invoice) plus $800 (upside down amount) plus $1,500 in taxes and fees minus $2,500 in rebates for a total out the door of 23,300. Good job. :)
    Without having all the details (break down of taxes & fees), it looks to me like he paid about $27,000 for the car OTD.

The original post included the trade-in in stating the OTD price, so the trade-in has to be added to the OTD price to determine the cash price. The $800 upside down further muddies the waters, but if you apply the $800 to the $3,000 down, the actual downpayment was $2200.
    I'd say the dealership was more than fair on the trade-in value for the Taurus, given the damage on the vehicle. From the description, it was in far from "average" condition.
    "... so the trade-in has to be added to the OTD price to determine the cash price...."
    No it doesn't. Please remember that in this case the full amount of the trade $4,500 went towards paying off the loan on the Taurus without anything left over to go towards the Sonata. In fact there was still a balance of $800 to payoff the loan on the Taurus. The dealership simply added this amount to the purchase price of the new vehicle. Nothing wrong with that.
    Backy, with all you know about cars, you surely must know the trade-in value game. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book. Give more on a trade-in and offset that with a higher price on the car being bought. Or buy at "wholesale" and get a "wholesale" trade-in value.

rhduke00, in thinking it through, it looks like I made a mistake by not considering the trade-in has to be paid by the dealer, all $5300 of the old loan. It does look like a good deal. But something still doesn't add up. If you take $5300 (to be paid by the dealer) off the $23,300, you would have an OTD of $18,000. That would be a great deal and is plausible as we paid $18,189 OTD, no trade, (sales tax of 6%) for an SE/XM six months ago and the rebates are better now, plus the '08s are out now. We put down $2500. Our 60 month financing @ 5.9% is $303/month.

I just think ther is a piece or two of the puzzle missing to be able to determine what was actually paid for the car. It's probably hidden in the inflated trade-in value, meaning the car is worth something to the dealer after paying off the $5300 note. If it's worth $2,000 or $3,000 that amount would have to be added to determine the price of the new car.
    Yes, I know the game. I choose not to play it. The two times in my life I traded a car in, that transaction was separate from the car purchase. Usually, I sell my old cars myself.

One thing I wish is that when folks report their purchases on these "prices paid" discussions, they would clearly delineate all the factors of their purchase, e.g.:

* Describe car--trim level and options (if any)
    * MSRP (from factory sticker)
    * MSRP (from dealer, including any non-factory options)
    * Rebates from manufacturer (if any)
    * Rebates and/or discounts from dealer (if any)
    * Price received for trade-in (if any)
    * Fees, such as documentation fee (if any)
    * Tax and license (which are non-negotiable)
    * OTD price

That kind of detail would take the puzzle out of the puzzle.
    I am trying to locate a Sonata GLS 2.4 litre in Atlanta, GA area. Most dealers have run out of this model in this area. Has anyone any suggestion where one may be available. Thanks.
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    rhduke00: Thanx you seem to be the only one who really understands all the paramaters of a deal. And yes, subtracting my 800 from my 3,000 down payment put me at 2,200 for my downpayment.

bhmr59: I think your misunderstanding how it works when you trade a car in that hasn't been paid off. You dont subtract the price the dealership pays off the loan for from the price of the new car. I am familiar with the trade in games, but the only way I could have been gamed on my trade in is if they undervalued it(which they didn't because I got more than it was worth). Or if they inflated the Sonata's price, which they didnt.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase, and my deal.
    I will update my previous post in the requested format.

Describe car--trim level and options (if any)
    Steel Gray 2007 SE with Floor Mats

* MSRP (from factory sticker)
    $22,180.00
    * MSRP (from dealer, including any non-factory options)
    $23,775.00
    * Rebates from manufacturer (if any)
    $2,500
    * Rebates and/or discounts from dealer (if any)
    Actual sales price to me $19,780.00
    * Price received for trade-in (if any)
    $1,000 for a 2002 GLS 5spd Elantra w/147,000miles with a little body damage to the pass side rocker panel.
    * Fees, such as documentation fee (if any)
    $100
    * Tax and license (which are non-negotiable)
    $1,184.80
    * OTD price
    $17,905.80