Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
edited February 2014 in Hyundai
'00 Silver GLS w/auto and pkg. 13. Also equipped with Mats, Guards, Cargo Net and Deflector.

MSRP $21247
Paid $18685 w/$1000 Loyalty rebate and elected for 4.9%/60...$336/mo.

Just didn't want to pay $530+ a mo. with the 0.9%/36 but now wish I had. The '02's are just too darn tempting. 'Guess I wasn't thinking'. :-(
Anyway, the deal was rated a 5 (1-5) by Edmunds so I don't feel bad.

The dealer was Fitzgerald Automall in Gaithersburg, Md., a no dicker sticker kind of shop where they shoot for Edmunds TMV. Mine was under.

Comments

• mseccmsecc Member Posts: 5
    Slate gray with black leather, nothing else ( not even mats ) I paid 18,400 (includes shipmeant charge). The total with TTR etc. was approx 19,750.
  • jc58jc58 Member Posts: 48
    Paid $16,112 which included Tax, Title and License. Sticker was $19,442.

Have seen new 2001 GLS with auto for $13,799 to $13,999.

What have they been discounting the 2002's?
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    Slate grey with black leather bought it a week ago sticker $20,569 was looking for 1,500 off paid $19,069
  • shrinkguyshrinkguy Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2002 Sonata 4-cylinder automatic, charcoal gray metallic, with moonroof.

MSRP = $17,044 (including destination charge), our price was a flat $16k. This was the best price I could find on this package anywhere, after doing a _lot_ of hard shopping.

Edmunds says invoice on this package is $15,556 (not figuring in the 2% holdback), but two different dealers both indicated it was $15,990. In NY State we're required to get the California emissions pkg, which would account for only about $100 of the discrepancy -- who knows.
  • mdimariamdimaria Member Posts: 2
    I got mine at a dealer in Hampton, VA 16,990 + TTL
    came to 18,000 out the door. No keyless entry though. Dealers locally in Fl were nowhere near that price; wanted to sell me GLS w/cloth and keyless entry only for 17,700. Oh, by the way, dealer in VA was no haggle. Actually called from Fl to get price quote, payed exactly what I was quoted when I got there. No hard sell, though did try to get me to bite on extended warranty. I guess I may have to drive back up there for Santa Fe when in the market.
  • dunegirldunegirl Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a new 4 cylinder automatic 2002 Sonata with moonroof,emissions,mudguards,and carpeted floor mats. The MSRP was $17,205. We paid $15,460.28 plus got $600 for trade in that was probably only worth about $400. We got 6.2 financing for 5 years. They definitely have some leeway on the financing and this was the lowest rate we could get. We feel we got a pretty good deal (at least we hope so). Hope this helps someone.
  • mp1011mp1011 Member Posts: 2
    Got the '02 Sonata, 4cyl, Auto, Floor Mats, Moonroof, Mud Flaps. Paid $14,223 + Tax.. Destination and MV Fees were INCLUDED!
    Plus I didn't pay for any of that vehicle etching BS.... (they wanted $200)- Never pay for vehicle etching... you can get a kit for under $10... anyway the dealer was excellent, I couln't believe he went below invoice!
    He was fair with me, gave me exactly what KBB.com and I wanted for my trade, I was in and out of the dealer within 1 1/2 hrs. Plus he gave me my First and Second oil changes free. I have delt with some crappy dealers, but this place was pretty decent.
  • d1girld1girl Member Posts: 4
    V6, Leather Interior, Option 5, Sunroof, Wind Deflector, Floor Mats. Came up to 17,520 + tax, through Carsdirect. I pick it up tomorrow.
  • ti23ti23 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. Yesterday I got a 2002 Sonata 4cyl with only 2 miles on it. Luckily mine came with the floor mats! Sticker was $16665 got it for $13,995. Dealer was excellent! Drive over 25k miles per year so the 10yr/100k mile warranty will have me covered longer than any other price comparable Toyota, Honda or Nissan could. With gas, insurance and monthly payment I'll be saving over $400 a month as compared to the 2001 Chevy Tahoe I traded in. Excellent Mid-Size car!!!
  • wystwyst Member Posts: 9
    I did it through cars direct 2 days ago, and it gives me a price of 18,428 for the LX with package 5.

We are currently having 10 dealers try to beat eachothers price.
    We just picked up our 2002 Sonata LX with package 5. All the goodies.. leather, keyless remote power moonroof, wood interior, automatic climate control etc...

Sticker was 20,030.00 I spent about 3 hours today getting bids from dealers all over my state within a 6 hour circle.

I had gone to my local dealer last night, and told them all the research i had done, and the numbers I had come up with, and they at first told me no way they can do that.

Then I had all the dealers fax me their invoice, stock number, vin number, their best price, and had them sign it.

I then took those down to local dealer tonite, who came out to 100 more than the one in Houston, but Houston is 300 miles one way away, so I felt it was ok to pay the extra 100.

We paid...17,400.00 :)
  • sreyemsreyem Member Posts: 9
    Just picked it up last Saturday. Brilliant Silver, V6, moon roof, keyless entry, mud guards, though no floor mats. We payed $16,800 plus tax/license. That's under invoice, which makes me wonder if Hyundai gives bonuses for quantities of cars sold. We drove out to the middle of nowhere to get it, but man, was it worth it.

$5000 down, $850 for trade in, 6.9% financing over 48 months = $298/mo.

Our budget for a car was $330/mo. over 36 months, which we couldn't quite get, so we went 48 months and will pay $330/mo anyway, to pay it off a few months early.
  • jjkerley3jjkerley3 Member Posts: 2
    Bought my Sonata October 24, 2001. Very happy so far. Great car, lots of extras and great price. Got a base auto transmission Sonata. Only extra was floor mats and mud guards. Plenty of pick up with the 4 cylinder. MSRP with freight was $16,655. Traded a 1993 Grand AM GT, 107,000 miles. I became interested in Hyundai because of the warranty. Did my home work at Edmunds on value of new car and old. Bottom line, paid $14017 after trade. This was within $17 of what I figured was a fair price. Nice no haggle negotiations. Bought it a Arrow Hyundai in Milwaukee, WI. I'd recommend them and the car to anyone.
    Glad you got a good price. I guess my quote on Carsdirect was different from yours because I'm in California. What color did you get???
    Yes, we did get a much higher price when we did it. We even got a higher price when i did it just two days later ( maybe the price is going up?)

Anyway, we got an awesomeee deal we are very pleased with, and we choose the Desert Sand Colour with the beige leather int.

So many people have stopped us in parking lots in this past week, commenting on the car, and who makes it.

Good Luck with yours!!!

:)
    I have Desert Sand too!! I love this color, which is one of the main reasons I bought the 02. When I was finally ready to buy the 01, I saw that the 02's were out, and checked the colors...when I saw this beauty, I was sold.

Good luck to you too.
  • dudedude Member Posts: 123
    Anybody purchased 2002 GLS in Colorado? Where and how much?
  • blinkerfluidblinkerfluid Member Posts: 3
    Looking to buy a base model or gls in Milwaukee,
    I've seen the post re: Arrow. "no haggle" conjures up bad conotaions for me, since seems to suggest you must pay sticker price or leave. Is that right?

Any other buyers in WI, or why Arrow over the other Milwaukee area dealers?
  • pvillapvilla Member Posts: 12
    Hello, i would just like to get some insight on good reputable car dealers
    and the ones maybe to stay away from.I'm interested in either buying or leasing
    the 02 Sonata GLS. Car dealers in this area can be snakes. I guess I just want
    to know I'll get a fair price. I bought a 01Honda Civic for my wife @ Paragon Honda,
    They gave such a runaround before buying the car probably, for the same price I could get for a
    Sonata GLS now.I'm was kicking myself in the butt after i test drove the Sonata, but i couldn't wait at the time.Any advise would be great,thanks
  • jasblakjasblak Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if you would share the dealer names who were giving such great prices? I live in Texas also and would really appreciate any information you could provide. Also, when you were getting bids from around the state, did you just call them and they gave you a quote over the phone? I've called a couple and they were not willing to quote a price.

Thanks for any information...
  • shoper2shoper2 Member Posts: 1
    I just came back from a hyundai dealer in hampton, va and saw a sonota lx with a moon roof (sun roof), leather interior, climate control, powered seats, mud flaps, car mats and etc..l. and was told that the dealership is a no haggle zone and was offered to pay 19,990 for the car. Is that a fair price?
  • hawksperchhawksperch Member Posts: 8
    I live in So Central Pa. Haven't bought yet but
    doing my homework. Go to hyundaiusa.com. You can
    spec out a car and send request to several dealers.Unless the car u looked at had pkg6 (incl ABS),19990 was sticker price.Not all bad as I think Sonata is good value. A dealer in Balto MD
    quoted 18537, local dealer 750 off MSRP, and a nearby dealer above MSRP. Sonata's are not plentiful on dealer's lots, LX in particular.So
    not much bargaining power. U can check website of
    lg dealers (Fitzgerald Auto Mall in DC area) and
    see what's avail and "internet" price. Their invoice price looks out of whack, but their sell
    prices are good. Unless supply picks up the Sonata
    appears it might be like the Santa Fe where sticker price appears to be common. Do some homework. You live in a good area to have enough dealers to work with. Good luck
    And I also assume the car you described was an
    automatic.
  • astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
    is a great source of pricing and selection info., no matter what car you're looking for. At least with Hyundais, they invariably shoot for Edmunds TMV as their no-haggle price. The only premiums I've ever seen (usually a few hundred $'s) are for very new on lot stock.

Also, the invoice discrepancies are related to the Ad fees for which even Edmunds buying advice recognizes and makes allowance.
    You made a good point re advertising
    fees add-on which Edmunds makes clear, although personally I haven't run into that where I live.
    Thanks.
    Sure glad to help ya.

We bought ours from Champion Hyundai in Austin. It is the 3rd car we bought from them.

However.... I would recomend Jay Brinks I believe was the name. They are in Houston. They were tremendously helpful to us, and really were the ones who kept driving all the other dealers to meet or drop out of the race for our money.

If you do go there, mention my name which is eddie, and you should ask to speak with the salesman who's name is Ed as well.

Yes, they would give me the quote over the phone. I imagine they knew I was pretty serious, as I had in some cases more info than they did. I knew their floor plan $$ etc. But (I have mentioned this on other forums in more depth) You don't want to just get a quote. I would get Sale Orders with the VIN and stock number, then the sales manager or fleet manager would have to sign it, and fax it back to me. This way everyone knows this is a real car.

My fax machine was buring up that day lol.

To be honest, tho I am here... I really don't think Edmunds is that hot a site. It's a good launching pad for buying, but there are other sites that give much more in-depth info that you should have with you, before you buy a car.

I have purchased 8 new cars now, and you really have to go in with your credit report, know your rating. Know what they paid for the car.(thats not the invoice btw) Everything is negotiable don't believe Edmunds... eg. holdback is DEF negotiable, I have never let a dealer keep it all, or sometimes any. Know how long the car has been on their lot. Do NOT finance through the dealer. etc.. I can go on and on.. but I am boring everyone now. :)

Good luck!!
  • jasblakjasblak Member Posts: 3
    Thank you very much for the information...
    Follow-up to prior post. I checked 3 dealers lots in Baltimore Md today. One had 4 Sonata, no GLS or
    LX. Another dealer had (NO EXAGERATION!) at least
    300 Elantra, Accents etc - even about 20 Santa Fe - which I rarely see no more than 1 or 2 of. Not ONE 2002 Sonata anywhere to be seen. The 3rd
    dealer had one base Sonata and was already adding
    his "bonus" above sticker price. With availability
    like this, I just don't see that too many sweet deals are going to be out there. Has anyone bought
    recently ? Where, model, and price pd vs MSRP ??
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    So, essentially you have a few less break-in miles to go and nobody beat up the car in those miles. :D
  • curtisancurtisan Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I lived in Minnesota, and they are charging sticker price for the GLS and LX because there are zero availability, so I settled for the base model, silver color. They only have 5 base sonatas available in the entire Twin Cities area. Here was what I paid for:

$15600 + TTL = $16876

MSRP was $16693, options included mug guards, carpet and cargo net.

Sounds like a decent deal to me because they showed me the dealer's cost was $15641.

curtisan
  • jjkerley3jjkerley3 Member Posts: 2
    Blinkerfluid,

No haggle means they give you their best price. If you don't like it you just go on down the road. If one dealer won't give it for the price you want another probable will. Best advice is don't be in love with the car and be willing to walk away from the. From Personal experience with Arrow the price is not sticker. As I stated in previous post, they came in a a price that I felt was good. You need to do your homework and check out the whole sale price. I added $300 to that price, the dealer has to make some profit but not excessive. It gets trickier if you are trading in a car. Again do your homework. Edmunds has all the information you need. Also be realistic about the condition of your trade-in. Arrow was right on the money as far as I was concerned.
  • rswillisrswillis Member Posts: 4
    I am about to give up on buying a Hyundai! After doing much research and test driving an LX, I signed an agreement with a dealer in Quincy, MA. on Oct 11 for a pearl white LX with moonroof. They said at the time it would take 2 days to get that color. They had 2 blue LX's at that time and they have not gotten any other LX's sinse. Am I the worlds biggest chump, or is there anyone else out there that has been waiting 7 weeks for a Sonata?
  • hyundaiman2hyundaiman2 Member Posts: 1
    d1girl is your car an automatic for that price?
  • 2002gls12002gls1 Member Posts: 2
    2002 GLS V6/AUTO SILVER WITH SUNROOF Paid $16544.00 --None of the 5 San Diego Dealers had an LX as of 11/29/2001.
  • sgoertz1nysgoertz1ny Member Posts: 2
    Test drove a 2002 Sonata GLS in Ruby Red with moonroof. In addition, it had mud flaps, mats and cargo net that I really didn't want. Offered $17,000 to start and he claimed invoice was $17,462. Offered that and was still turned down, so we walked away. Edmunds claimed invoice was $16833 on the GLS with sunroof. Even adding $200 in options at MSRP doesn't bring the car up to The $17462 the Queensbury dealer was claiming. I'm suspicious of his claim because though he waved and shuffled a lot of paper, he wouldn't actually show us his invoice. Was I smart to walk away or did I miss out on one of the few remaining GLS's in NY?
  • astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
    The difference may have been due to any # of things but most likely the ad fees. If a dealership will not show you true invoice, walk away. Most dealers final invoice sheets will always be higher than what we calculate on Edmunds because our #'s don't include any ad fees which Edmunds states is a fair fee subject to haggling. Most dealers try to get the same flat fee for every car they sell which is BS.
  • nato1nato1 Member Posts: 102
    sgoertz1ny:
    go find another dealer. I took delivery about 2 weeks ago (in Mass) of a 2002 sonata gls (slate grey), moonroof, cargo net, and paid $17k with 10yr/100k bumper to bumper warranty. (sticker was 18,8 + $1200 for bump-bump warranty). Trade was '94 honda accord ($3k). ($20k-$3k(honda)-$3k negotiated=$14K)
    Rumor has it that the cars are in port, but are being checked by the feds. So it may take a while to get them to the dealers.
  • wlovettwlovett Member Posts: 17
    Let me know if this is a good deal.

Silver LX w/ABS and TCS, Moonroof w/deflector, floor mats, cargo net for 19595 + tax and title. It will be $20500 out the door w/tax and title. The dealer is a friend and had to pull some strings to get the car to Ohio for me.
  • zepper1zepper1 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering what would be fair for this vehicle. My dealer located one so we sat down to try and do sone bussiness. KBB and Edmonds give 14599 as dealer invoice, which includes dest. chrg. I offered 15000 and was told that was below dealer cost. Anyone with a 5 speed base care to offer up what they paid?? Would love to know. Thanks
    In Mass I had a iron clad deal for $14,6 for a base sonata with the v6/auto upgrade. I opted to get the gls/package 5 (sunroof) for $17k plus the 10yr/100k bump to bump. You should be able to get mid to high 13's.
    Keep shopping. When I told them the names of the other dealerships I was going to, (and I told them where I was going and that I don't buy a car on the first walk through) they took off 3k from the sticker. Time is on your side right now. They want to clear as many as they can by the end of the year. Make them sweat!!
    If you are in New England, Try Rt2 Hyundai in Leominster Ma.
    Nate
  • ufgatorsufgators Member Posts: 58
    I haven't started my negotiations, but I think that is a little high. I want the LX w/ABS-TC and moon roof and I was considering starting the offer at about 18,800, and let them take me no further than 19,100. Don't forget about dealer holdback. However, I heard the cars are heard to find and that my influence negotiations. Also, you may want to try a buying/leasing company who can have the car brought in from anywhere in the region and they usually have low prices. Just a thought!
  • wlovettwlovett Member Posts: 17
    I was just on Carsdirect.com. 2002 Sonatas are going for $300 over MSRP in Ohio!! Is anyone else seeing the same pricing in your areas?
  • sambojohosambojoho Member Posts: 14
    For those in Ohio, try Tom Ahl in Lima. Got mine for $350 over invoice. I bought a black 02 LX with ABS/TCS, moonroof, mats, wind deflector, and mud guards.

I paid $19,395 (includes destination and advertising).

Of course I bought mine before the $1000 customer loyalty rebate (I wasn't a Hyundai owner anyway), so any Hyundai owners should be able to get one for $18,395.
  • blerner2blerner2 Member Posts: 47
    As much as I wanted a Sonata, I was unable to negotiate what I thought was a fair deal yesterday.

The dealer had only 1 GLS V6 on the lot (Sunroof, Mats, Guards, Deflector). I offered $16,900. Dealer wouldn't budge off of $18,100.

He also had an LX coming (Sunroof, Mats, Guards, Deflector). I offered $18,100. Dealer wouldn't budge off of $19,575.

All aforementioned numbers are before state tax, tag, title, doc fees, etc.

What was suprising was that he wouldn't even negotiate. He basically told me that as hot as these vehicles are someone will pay his price. Mind you, I was ready to buy and waved a blank check in front of his face. Nothing I tried would get him to move off his number. BTW, he wouldn't come off of sticker on a Santa Fe, and he had several on the lot with more to come before month end.

I got frustrated with him, took a walk and decided to buy a less expensive vehicle (Ford ZTS) which I ordered exactly as I wanted, in the color I wanted. Dealer showed me his invoice and gave me the holdback before I even got my offer out of my mouth (which was not as good as the deal he offered). On top of that Ford is offering $500 customer cash.

Would have loved a Hyundai, but unless you stumble on a dealer with some inventory to move, I'm afraid it appears that good deals may be hard to come by.

Good luck to all.
  • misterjohnnymisterjohnny Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone know where you can find an LX w/ABS, TC & Moonroof in Los Angeles?
  • lmc18lmc18 Member Posts: 32
    Looking for a GLS in Jersey. Went to 1 dealer and got a song and dance about how they can't keep them on the lot and wouldn't budge off sticker which was $18K. I'm hearing about people on this site getting GLS's for under 17K. Anyone know a dealer in Jersey that is willing to negotiate? What about carsdirect? Anyone try there? I'm afraid they won't be able to find the car I want if they are really that popular.
    From what I understand, Hyundai underestimated the number of units that would sell. I talked to the dealership that I bought mine from, and they have 2 sonatas in stock. (in Mass) a base w/v6 and a loaded lx. I'd imagine they are selling at sticker. Lots of elantras and accents. They are hoping that more will be shipped in.
  • mbojanmbojan Member Posts: 3
    Hello My name is Marc.

I went to Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Gaithersburg, Md. I bought on November 21. Got a base '02 Sonata with moon roof, mud guards and floor mats. Paid $16,125 plus Tax, Title. This dealership has a no haggle price and at the time seemed to have several in stock. Originally test drove a blue one but found the slate Gray with the same exact options. Haggled though on the price for my old car and threatened to walk. They countered and offered close to Kelly blue book value. Also got Hyundai's loyalty rebate. I was also able to negotiate my interest rate. The car has been running absolutely perfect. However will have dealership check the trunk sensor, seems I have to be right on top of it (and I mean right next to the trunk)when using the keyless entry for it to open on the first try.
  • hyunday_dudehyunday_dude Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a ruby red, 2002 GLS. Auto, V-6, ABS w/ Traction Control, mud flaps, cargo net, sunroof
    with wind deflector, premium sound, carpeted mats, 16in. 10 spoke alloys. $17,400, no trade. Is this a good deal?

I live in MA.
    Hi,

I live in Mass also, and I bought my '02 sonata gls/package 5 (moonroof w/ deflector, mats, etc) from rt2 hyundai in leominster.

http://www.rte2hyundai.com/

I paid $17k for it with the 10yr/100k Hyundai Advantage service contract/warranty (~$700). I also went to Nashua Hyundai and they said (at the time, Thanksgiving week) that they normally wouldn't give the same offer that Rt 2 did, but to take business away, they'd match it. So to keep things simple and local, I went back to Rt2 and signed. With the extras on the gls, you did very well especially with the scarcity of the sonatas that doesn't seem to be lightening up.
    Thanks

Nate