Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    yjbeachyjbeach Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to purchase a 2007 Sonata Limited (V6 with leather). One vehicle has about 15k miles (Vehicle A) the other has about 33k miles(Vehicle B).

Vehicle A is listed at $18K
    Vehicle B is listed at $17K.

What is a reasonable amount to pay for either vehicle from a (hyundai and toyota used car dealer), both in good condition?

I was thinking Vehicle A around $14.5K and Vehicle B for about $15.5K.

Anything I should look for that has failed others on their 2007 Limiteds?

Thank you,
  • Options
    lordy1952lordy1952 Member Posts: 8
    hi, I am new to the buying process. this forum really help.

here is my question, does any one know a good site that have dealer reviews?
    things like...is the internet quote trust worthy?

also there are 2 townehyundai??? one in NY, another is NJ. Which is the real one?
    is towne hyundai's(NJ) internet price true? has any one bought from them? any will help(tip, advice)

thanks
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Not sure why you would be willing to pay more for a car with over twice as many miles, especially since the list price of the more-travelled car is less. Is that a typo?

18k miles is more than a year's worth of miles. So IMO I think the price differential between the 15k car and 33k car should be more.

You might want to be sure to check on the suspension noise on these cars... several reports on the Sonata Problems discussion about that. There is a fix for it, but better the fix be done before you buy, if there's a problem.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Towne Hyundai does have two locations.

The NJ dealership has the better prices from what I have seen on the internet. Akthough the NY location doesn't post internet pricing.

Yes, Towne's internet prices are real and no BS. We bought from them in 2/07 and several friends or friends of friends have done so also. All these people raved about the buying experience.

NJ is townehyundai.com---NY is townehyundaiusa.com.
  • Options
    dgs4dgs4 Member Posts: 66
    "And I saw some mention of people getting 1000+ under invoice on even Hondas, so it's not like a premiere brand cannot have discounts also. "

Yeah, that's probably true. It just seems like when it comes to Hyundai, buyers already assume to get a price like that to make buying a Hyundai a good value. I often hear the argument, "yeah, Hyundai may not be as good as the other guys, but I got it for so cheap how could I refuse." I just hate hearing that. I get a little defensive when it comes to Hyundai, as the company has totally turned themselves around. Their cars are every bit as exciting, well made, safe, reliable, fuel efficient, and feature packed as the other big players in the industry, maybe even more so. I just hope someday Hyundai gets the respect they deserve, and people want to buy them not because of how "cheap" they can purchase a Hyundai, but because of how much they want to own the car. Like I said earlier, I could have purchased a much more expensive vehicle than my 09 Sonata, so I didn't buy it because of it's price, but because I really, really liked the car. Much more than anything else in the class I test drove.

Anyway, I'll get off my pro Hyundai rant and let you all get back to talking about prices.
  • Options
    lordy1952lordy1952 Member Posts: 8
    thanks for the info :)
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    If one could find a v6 sonata with 20000 miles around here, with about a $12000 or so used wholesale price by the consumer book, You should jump on it in a minute. Better car than the Chev Impala, with possibly 36k of bumper to bumper and 60k of powertrain warranty? (xfer hyundai warranty)

That guy is the only one posting sonatas 07 used everywhere for 10k. He probably misread something or saw a car on a lot that was wrecked and has a salvage title. That would put the wholesale value at 8000 or less and depreciation from msrp year 1 or so at about 13000+. Even the chevy's don't do that. No used vehicle like this is going to do it.

Think about it. Dealers would be fools to price a car with bluebook figures of 12000 wholesale and 15000 inflated book retail numbers for 10k retail, even in the unlikely event the books are that far off. With the normal jokers with shot credit and people who even check on the book value, a gift like that from the "bibles" would help them move them all for good dough.

Even the depreciation king, the Chevy impala V6 and other chevys don't do that. If you see a used 07 impala with even 12k on the windshield it's probably been totaled. Or you have a used car lot getting out of business ahead of the attorney general.

So in the unlikely event you can find used 07 sonata's msrp 20000 and up for 10k all day retail with a clean carfax, take advantage of the consumer misperception and jump on it. Its a bargain between a Chev impala and accord in quality and a good warranty to boot. Even the used chevys wholesale 12000 will have 16000 or more on the windshield. The 09 is even better.

With respect to value, with the average price paid, and the price savings of a Hyundai, it probably is about equal. Perhaps less because of poorer folks getting taken more by Hyundai dealers

Sorry mod but this belongs here.. it is prices paid. (You don't want anyone having a coronary trying to find 10k Sonata's common on dealer lots)

Good luck
    --jjf
  • Options
    moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    I just checked some hyundai fact information and workers actually make far more than the average Alabama person. With experience, most jobs pay $21-26+ per hour + benefits. Obviously starting out, workers will be in the $15ish range. I figure when that plant first started, there were still some kinks to iron out. Hopefully with the 2009 models, we'll have something more solidly reliable :)
    Not sure what the wholesale cost really is, but it's obviously something probably a couple thousand under invoice, which does leave us all plenty of bargaining area to get that best price. And buy that sonata because the car is awesome :)
  • Options
    snoopy185snoopy185 Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone recommend a good dealer in the Dallas/Metroplex area that is willing to make large discounts on '09 Sonatas?

Thanks
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Huffines Hyundai, Plano.
  • Options
    snoopy185snoopy185 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you. I'll look them up.
  • Options
    rotaryrotary Member Posts: 71
    Here ya' go, moocow1 - knock yourself out:

A 2008 Auto GLS with just over 2,000 miles for an ASKING price of 11,900 (can you get it for less? I'd bet you can:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNum- ber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfie- ld=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cM-_19_%7cG-30000%7- cB-12000%7cA-10000%7cH-%7cD-_222_%7cN-N%7cR-10000%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ- -descending%7cY-_2008_%7cX-popular%7cZ-60601&aff=detnews&paId=274618010&recnum=1- &leadExists=true

2008 for 12,400:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNum- ber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfie- ld=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cM-_19_%7cG-20000%7- cB-13000%7cA-11000%7cH-%7cD-_222_%7cN-N%7cR-10000%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ- -descending%7cY-_2008_%7cX-popular%7cZ-60601&aff=detnews&paId=272628748&recnum=3- &leadExists=true

And plenty of 2007s for between 10k and 12lk:

A 2007 V6 Auto GLS for asking 10,900:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNum- ber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfie- ld=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cM-_19_%7cG-30000%7- cB-12000%7cA-10000%7cH-%7cD-_222_%7cN-N%7cR-10000%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ- -descending%7cY-_2007_%7cX-popular%7cZ-60601&aff=detnews&paId=259150024&recnum=1- 1&leadExists=true

2007 Auto GLS asking 11,400:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNum- ber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfie- ld=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cM-_19_%7cG-30000%7- cB-12000%7cA-10000%7cH-%7cD-_222_%7cN-N%7cR-10000%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ- -descending%7cY-_2007_%7cX-popular%7cZ-60601&aff=detnews&paId=272880558&recnum=9- &leadExists=true

Private Owner, asking 11,500:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNum- ber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfie- ld=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cM-_19_%7cG-30000%7- cB-12000%7cA-10000%7cH-%7cD-_222_%7cN-N%7cR-10000%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ- -descending%7cY-_2007_%7cX-popular%7cZ-60601&aff=detnews&paId=275213090&recnum=8- &leadExists=false

Asking 11,800:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNum- ber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfie- ld=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cM-_19_%7cG-30000%7- cB-12000%7cA-10000%7cH-%7cD-_222_%7cN-N%7cR-10000%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ- -descending%7cY-_2007_%7cX-popular%7cZ-60601&aff=detnews&paId=273152864&recnum=7- &leadExists=true

2007 V6 SE with 11k miles for 11,900:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNum- ber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfie- ld=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cM-_19_%7cG-30000%7- cB-12000%7cA-10000%7cH-%7cD-_222_%7cN-N%7cR-10000%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ- -descending%7cY-_2007_%7cX-popular%7cZ-60601&aff=detnews&paId=272741456&recnum=5- &leadExists=true

2007 GLS with 12k miles for 11,900:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNum- ber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfie- ld=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-ALL%7cM-_19_%7cG-30000%7- cB-12000%7cA-10000%7cH-%7cD-_222_%7cN-N%7cR-10000%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ- -descending%7cY-_2007_%7cX-popular%7cZ-60601&aff=detnews&paId=135895779&recnum=0- &leadExists=true

I could go on and on (but I won't). I also know that you can offer 1k or more less than what they're asking and snag one of these easily, especially from the dealers, where they just sit and sit. That means I would make a bet with you I could probably get one for at or less than 10k and win the bet.

Like I said, I respect that Hyundai has made improvements in quality, but their resale value sucks. Go try to find a one year old Honda Accord or Civic with less than 20k miles for 50% of sticker, let alone transaction price. I'm speaking reality, and just showed it to you, in black and white.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I'm looking at Towne Hyundai's website...is the car $2101 below invoice including the rebate or $2101 below invoice plus the rebate meaning $3601 below invoice???

Also, is bluetooth in any way shape or form factory installed and if so does it incorporate the audio system when in use (meaning does the radio's volume lower when you receive calls, etc.)

Thanks in advance Sonatafiles!
  • Options
    $2101 under invoice before rebates.

Bluetooth is not factory installed.
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Those are some real bargains there - especially after you "haggle".

I hear there are a lot of Sonatas going in to rental fleets. (Gotta keep those assembly lines moving!) No doubt some of these are previous rental cars.
  • Options
    Nothing approaching those deals in area around here. The usual asking price of more than many paid for a new one by used car lots on the 08 and 07 Sonatas. Definitely worth investigating, if some sort of factory executive or rental car fleet deal.

Typing in different zip codes into that may help. To see if there are more in different regions of the country. If I could buy a 08 Sonata used with 2000 miles for 10k with clean carfax or even an 07 with 20k it an unusually great deal.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    thanks backy I knew you'd give me the answers...
  • Options
    2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    Bluetooth is not factory installed.

Nor does it incorporate the audio system.
  • Options
    I figure the one huge change in the 2010 Sonata is gonna be that whole microsoft sync-like system they're putting in. I expect bluetooth and other functionality included, which will make me a little jealous, but I'll live :) Right now bluetooth is a dealer installed $325 option that is subpar at best. I'd recommend skipping on purchase.
  • Options
    jeff26cjeff26c Member Posts: 4
    Any ideas what would be a got buying price before taxes for a 09 sonata Se v-6 with no extras MSRP 23995. Im thinking around 19400 before taxes title, and license. In the Buffalo NY area. Rebate will most likley go up for June from 1500 for May.
  • Options
    $19,400 would be a REAL good price, approximately $2000 under invoice before the $1500 rebate. If you have trouble getting that kind of deal in Buffalo, it isn't too far a drive to Towne Hyundai NJ; they are offering $2101 under invoice before rebates on any 2009 Sonata.
  • Options
    byefornowwbyefornoww Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a 2009 Sonata GLS, slate blue, option group 3 (includes sunroof) in mid-May from Bob Dunn Hyundai in Greensboro, NC. In a nutshell, we paid $18,597 plus TTL. Following are details:

$19,500 - $1,500 rebate + $597.20 doc fee + $555 NC hwy tax + $138 lic & title = $19,290.20.

Also received a fair trade-in of $1000 (exactly what I expected) on an older car. Total amt financed was $18,290.20 at 5.89% -- payments of $339.05 per month for 63 months.
    Really happy with experience and dealer. Made an internet inquiry on Friday night, ironed out entire deal (including trade) over the phone on Saturday, they had the exact car brought in from a dealer in Virginia on Monday, and we picked it up on Tuesday.
    Oh, we are in Charlotte but drove 90 minutes to Greensboro because the local Charlotte dealers were a joke. ;)
  • Options
    That absolutely insane doc fee hurts the deal. If it was a fair $50-75, I think I'd trust the dealer more. I think mine was about $65 and no other costs added to my car.
  • Options
    family44family44 Member Posts: 19
    Hello,
    We've been watching and waiting for prices to get to a point comfortable for us. After on again and off again haggling for last wo months, we're now going to buy. We have two offers on the table, and I'd greatly appreciate your opinions.

First--a 2008 (yes, an '08, Sonata Limited with four cylinder engine for after rebate price of $17,641 (OTD $19,639).

Second--a 2008 GLS 4 cylinder with popular package # 2 for price
    of $14,800 (OTD at $16,426).

We'll likely take the Limited, but if any of you recall your haggling for the 2008's--any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
  • Options
    byefornowwbyefornoww Member Posts: 2
    I agree the doc fee is insane and I would've had a fit but my husband was dealing with that part of it. However, I ok'd the deal (and am still happy with it) because, including the ridiculous doc fee, we only paid $319 more than the Fitzmall price but didn't have to go to Maryland.
    The dealer was very upfront about the price and emailed paperwork showing price, rebate, doc fee, ttl days before we picked up / actually purchased the car (that doc fee wasn't "sprung" on us at the last minute).
    Oh, after re-reading my post, I forgot to specify that the car is an automatic and came with floor mats and cargo net. I think of those things as standard and forget that they're technically not.
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Towne Hyundai's price would be about $900 cheaper and I believe their doc fees are a few hundred cheaper too. So you could have gotten it for prob about $1300-$1400 cheaper at Towne. However, you would not have developed a relationship with your nearby dealer and you would have had to travel to NJ and back. Travel costs being what they are and figuring that your time is money as well, you didn't do too bad.

Would have been nice if your dealer would have matched Towne price and then added their stupid doc fee. They still would have made a good profit.
  • Options
    Doc fees (sometimes called conveyance fees) vary greatly & that is why I prefer to see doc fees reported separatley in sales prices.

Some states cap doc fees, others require dealers to periodically file their doc fee (& must charge that amount, although each dealer can set his own fees) and, apparantly the fee is negotiable in some states.

When I bought 3 years ago, the local CT guy gave me the BS about being required to charge the doc fee by the State. I suggested he then lower the sales price...but he thought he had a fish on the line. I flew to FL to buy the same car and saved $1300 after travel expenses.

Since then, back in Feb., '07 I learned of Town Hyundai in NJ, just 100 miles from where I live, and from whom we bought a 2nd Sonata for our company. Since then I have been trying to spread the word on this forum about the great deals (with no BS) that Towne Hyundai offers. In fact, when I drove a friend to Towne to pick up his Azera in 4/07, salesman Joe mentioned that they had been getting a lot of activity from mentions on this forum. He looked at my friend quizically, who the pointed to me as the responsible party.
  • Options
    In Illinois, per state law, the max doc fee is now $150 after having been about half that amount for years. A dealer does not have to charge it at all or they can charge any amount up to $150. However, if the dealer charges one customer for it, he must charge every customer the same amount.

Guess what? The law says they can charge $150 and that's what they all charge. I have never seen nor heard of any dealer in Illinois that doesn't. I still like this system better than the "charge whatever they can get" system in some other states. That's one less thing to negotiate in Ill.
  • Options
    canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I agree, take the Limited, otherwise you'll kick yourself for giving up the goodies.
  • Options
    Forget about the doc fees. They're primarily profit devices to boost mainly walk ins for extra profit. Most are exhausted and threaten to walk but then don't. That explains 600 doc fees. Some payment buyers don't even notice it. You know how successful dealerships are in charging it (whatever it is) without excessive walk-outs by the fact that it is there.

Get bids from numerous dealers end of month inclusive of all fees. A bid of 20500 with a 600 fee beats a bid of 20700 with a 100 fee every time. Forget about negotiating it down individually. Get competitive bids from at least 10 dealers end of month for total cost with all fees or otd (with taxes).

Good luck
    --jjf
  • Options
    I was explaining the laws regarding doc fees in Illinois and the fact that in some states, state law governs what can be charged. I like that a lot better than having to negotiate it. I have to negotiate the new vehicle price and, if applicable, the trade in price and then the ridiculous "add-ons"(usually I just don't shop in dealerships that have these "additional stickers" or state up front that they can forget trying to charge for them if the want to sell a car). Having to then deal with a negotiable doc fee would just be an additional hassle. I realize the final OTD price is what matters but it's easier to get there when there are less items to negotaite. So my point was only that I like it(actually I hate it that a doc fee can be charged at all) when the doc is a set amount for everyone and as low as possible thankyou.

BTW, Your math is wrong. A bid of 20500 with a 600 fee beats a bid of 20700 with a 100 fee every time. This may be either a typo or you really meant the reverse is true.

Oh yeah, I forgot that financing is also a negotaible item for many people.
  • Options
    Heh, there's when the magic of negotiating actualy OTD prices really helps. Dealers can't sneak Doc fees if you're directly asking for the total OTD. I did that with both dealer's I was looking at when purchasing. One gave me a precise OTD, one gave an estimate that was true. I'd avoid all dealers who won't give some real prices and real OTD info over the phone or email personally.
  • Options
    rotaryrotary Member Posts: 71
    The doc fee issue is certainly not unique to Hyundai. In fact, Hyundai dealerships are rather upfront and honest about it in print and in person.

But I agree that trying to get them to do away with it is a good idea, AFTER a final price is arrived at.

In all seriousness, if automakers and dealers need to achieve a set price on each vehicle, that's the real world, but having doc fees, destination fees, etc. is really annoying to consumers. The first auto company that does away with all the nagging, miscellaneous fees like those will get kudos from their customers.
  • Options
    Heh you said company...I was about to say, I know a couple internet salesmen from dealers who don't have that crap. Those are the types of guys you refer basically everyone you know to for buying a car. Unfortunately they're the few exceptions out there. I think if a company itself did that, the dealers would complain like crazy. Dealers need many tricks to make enough money...which screws the consumers, but keeps them profitable. Such is capitalism.
  • Options
    Once again:

Forget about the doc fees. They're primarily profit devices to boost mainly walk ins for extra profit. Most are exhausted and threaten to walk but then don't. That explains 600 doc fees. Some payment buyers don't even notice it. You know how successful dealerships are in charging it (whatever it is) without excessive walk-outs by the fact that it is there.

Get bids from numerous dealers end of month inclusive of all fees. A bid of 20500 with a 600 fee beats a bid of 20700 with (read inclusive of) a 100 fee every time. Forget about negotiating it down individually. Due to the section of the law the fees fall under if they charge a 300 fee for one it may have to be consistent for all. Some actually have the forms pre-printed with the fee included. They can knock off 300 or so off the price easier . Get competitive bids from at least 10 dealers end of month for total cost with all fees or otd (with taxes).

Good luck
    --jjf
  • Options
    fountainpen108fountainpen108 Member Posts: 10
    moving from East coast car-less to Kentucky.
    While East coast dealers like Towne and Fitzmall offer 2000 below invoice pricing,internet corresponderance with Louisville area dealers is frustrating.None would quote prices on the internet.
    Typical Edmunds selling pricein Louisville is 1000 $ above same car configuration in the East Coast,which is also thousand dollars above Towne prices.Total:2 000 dollars above Towne or Fitzmall.
    Are there any discount dealers at or near Louisville.Am trying to get no-haggle pricing.Even the Costco and Samsclub dealers dont respond with $ dollars.
  • Options
    If you haven't moved yet why don't you just buy from Towne on your way out of town so to speak??
  • Options
    sgtsamsgtsam Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have a purchase price for a 4 cyl. GLS with the basic preferred equipment package here in Houston?
  • Options
    Eh? Are you replying to the right person. You just said the same advice I did :confuse:
  • Options
    Those who were waiting for rebates to increase on the Sonata.... they didn't. Same as for May it appears (I didn't check all states). But it looks like at least some dealers have noticed that demand for the Sonata has increased.... up 12% in May from last year. For example, Towne Hyundai (NJ) has increased its Internet pricing on the 2009 Sonata by about $300--it's now $1800 under invoice instead of $2101 (before rebates).
  • Options
    Towne Hyundai (NJ) has increased its Internet pricing on the 2009 Sonata by about $300--it's now $1800 under invoice instead of $2101 (before rebates).

I really wish they would stop that. I can't believe Hyundai lets them get away with undercutting the other dealers across the country.
  • Options
    Undercutting? Plenty of dealers out there who sell under invoice. In fact if you're not, you're way overpriced most likely. Anyways there's no manufacturer rule on minimum sales price...and I'm DAMN glad of that. I'm so sick of tv sellers that have to show a hidden price in order to find out what it actually is. Consumers win here, everyone on this board should be happy for low prices.
  • Options
    There's been buying reports here on dealers who come close to if not beat Towne's pricing. Maybe not every dealer sells in the same volume as Towne and gets the same manufacturer-to-dealer incentives, but I'm not going to complain when a dealer offers well-below-invoice pricing. It's a refreshing change from those days (still here in some cases) when dealers tried to charge over MSRP for cars. :)
  • Options
    We were very happy to save a couple thousand by buying at Towne.

What you are proposing is the same concept as requiring all dealers to sell at full MSRP. Did you pay MSRP, less any rebate, or did you check around or negotiate to get the best price possible?

Pricing can be regional...even the factory rebates can vary from one state to another. Used car pricing guides, such as N.A.D.A. print several regional editions.
  • Options
    dgs4dgs4 Member Posts: 66
    I really wonder how this Towne Hyundai everyone here is talking about makes any money? $2,000 under invoice? Seriously, how do they pay their sales people a decent commission and keep the doors open to the dealership with those prices. I mean what's the most they're making on a car, net profit of a couple of hundred dollars? I just don't get it. Are they doing some kind of outrageous volume or something? I know the economy is tough but those prices are ridiculously low regardless.

As demand for Hyundai products continues to increase I suspect Hyundai dealerships will stop this bottom feeder type of pricing. All it does is cheapen the image of the brand and absolutely kill resale value. Everyone complains about Hyundai's horrible resale value, but it's never going to get any better if everyone expects to buy one for thousands under invoice. You don't think MINI has one of the best resale values in the business by offloading their cars to the lowest bidder. You're lucky if you get $500 off the price of a new MINI. I'm not saying Hyundai dealerships need to be that extreme, but I seriously hope they toughen up on their prices. Car dealerships deserve to earn profit too you know.
  • Options
    elvisluvselvisluvs Member Posts: 29
    Hi Dgs4- interesting thoughts about towne hyundai's pricing. My local dealer's salesman said to my wife a few month's back "we are not going to give it away. " In my opinion there is not enough competition between hyundai dealers- so for the most part many of them (like my area's dealer)are getting away with overcharging on price. Maybe that's why so many folks here look into the higher volume dealers to buy from. As for the mini- I would imagine that there are always going to be folks looking for a hip car. I'm not sure that everyone would like to drive them though.
  • Options
    I first heard about Towne Hyundai in Feb, '07 on a Sunday afternoon. There was a new Azera from NJ in the parking lot of a restaurant I met a friend at to have a drink and get out of the house. Went outside for a smoke & was looking at the car. The owner of the Azera came out and told us about the great deals Towne Hyundai offered. We couldn't believe it. But upon checking found that Towne is a real deal, no BS.

We're 100 miles away in CT & after confirming prices bought an '07 Sonata SE within a week.

For $5400 under MSRP, I don't shive a git about resale when the common definition of resale is measured against MSRP. We saved $5400 from retail, about $4400 from invoice (would have to check exact figures at my office). I saw 1 year old Sonatas at the local dealer lot with an advertised price over $1K higher than we paid new.

Towne & Fitz are apparantly very high volume dealers and must get great factory incentives based upon their volumes. I don't care how/where they make their money, as long as treat the customer right, which I can say Towne does (never dealt with Fitz).

They have been offering this type of pricing (varies from month to month depending on rebates & incentives to dealer) for at least 2 years, based on what the guy from NJ told me in the parking lot 16 months ago.

The employees must do OK, as the salesman I know has been there since before we bought.

Again, this is internet pricing. If you look at their local ads on their web site you will see more traditional pricing. If the internet pricing allows them to sell an extra (?) cars per month (100?, 200?), it's got to be profitable.
  • Options
    Anybody that believes car dealers make their money on new car sales are delusional. It's that used car they give you $6000 for and sell for $10000(not ask but get) where they make money. Also, the more new cars they sell, the more warranty work they are going to get in their shop and oil changes/rotations, etc, etc.

Non-luxury dealers have not really made much off new cars sales since the advent of the internet. Just enough to pay the light bills---the real money is in used cars and the back shop.
  • Options
    Massive incentives from hyundai. When I bought my car, my dealer said they were offering some nice incentives to him to allow him to give me the price. I think most dealers are rewarded for being high volume, it obviously helps hyundai move all those u nits and try to hit their unrealistic sales goals.(No way they're going up much in this slow market year. I think if the dealers weren't making money, they wouldn't still be around. All the high volume guys in my area are alive and kicking!
    And btw m6user, I must be terrible then because I never trade in and always pay cash(Although someday I might take a 0-0.9% deal) Dealer's never make an extra penny off me on that.
  • Options
    Did you pay MSRP, less any rebate, or did you check around or negotiate to get the best price possible?

No, I paid invoice, or just slightly less and then subtracted the $1,500 rebate. That was the best internet quote I could find in my area (Chicago).

I think it's funny that some people here think they make more money off of used cars, than new. Anyways, they gave me $20k for my TBSS on the trade. Honda offered me $18k and Toyota $17.5k. The dealer is now trying to get $22k for it (good luck!). I had it listed for a while for that exact same price on AutoTrader. I only received calls from brokers wanting to sell it for me. BTW, them giving me $20k was like getting $21.6k when you figure in my tax savings. I was only taxed on a little over 2 grand. :)