Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, in the end it comes down to the bottom-line price. If one dealer has low fees but a lesser discount, and another a bigger discount but higher fees, what difference does it make to the buyer? All that matters is what they pay in the end.

You are correct that some states charge tax before rebates, and some (like MN) after rebates have been applied. The buyer has no control over that--except to pressure their legislators to change the state laws. ;)
  • mbibermanmbiberman Member Posts: 3
    what options / package? I am currently neogotiating a deal with Fred Beans and they gave me way different pricing.
  • cosmo15cosmo15 Member Posts: 17
    Jackburton1

What dealership did you buy from in NJ. Sound like good price to me.
  • jackburton1jackburton1 Member Posts: 14
    Wayne Hyundai on Rte 23.
    Nobody else would come close to their price.

Very pleasant experience as well.

Gave me the best price over the ninternet out the door.

Then was able to get a few more hundred off in person last night and I just got home with my new SE V6 :)
  • investingdadinvestingdad Member Posts: 23
    I bought a GLS with 5 speed manual trans, the lowest priced option out there. That said, if you don't mind waiting until tomorrow, I'll post the internet price from them (though I think they gave me just that model since that's what I was after) and Sussman.

I'd also suggest you check out Fitzmall.com and Fairfax Hyundai. Fred Beans actually had mine brought up from Fairfax.
  • plabyplaplabypla Member Posts: 4
    I've followed these threads on this board for a long time, and I've enjoyed reading about the great deals and buying experiences that many of you have discussed, and I congratulate each of you. I followed many of your leads in my quest for a possible Sonata purchase, and I discovered some really good discounts and reputable dealerships along the way; however, when I made contact with Lee Stephens of Bob Dunn Hyundai in Greensboro, NC (120 miles from my home in Wilson, NC), the game was over. I've made many new and used vehicle purchases over the years and have seen pretty much every scheme, trick, and inducement known to man. I will say unequivocally that never have I had anywhere near the pleasant and easy buying experience that I enjoyed in my dealings with Lee and Bob Dunn Hyundai! In addition, I was given the best deal on my new Sonata SE-4 cyl. that I had seen during my exhaustive research! Guess what---I haven't set foot on Bob Dunn's lot yet nor have I met Mr. Stephens face to face, and my new car is sitting outside in my driveway as I type! Every facet of the negotiations and final consummation of my deal was handled by email and telephone; I never communicated with anyone but Lee Stephens the entire time. My white pearl Sonata was delivered to my home last Saturday morning; I sent the check for the payment back with the driver, and that was it! In the five days that I have been in possession of this automobile, I have received calls from both Hyundai Corporate and Lee Stephens checking to make sure I was happy and satisfied with everything; my answer-YES, YES, YES! I have to pinch myself to make sure this deal went down for real the way I've described it---IT DID! If you're serious about a Hyundai automobile, and they are truly outstanding products, I highly recommend that you contact Lee Stephens ASAP! You'll be extremely glad you did; I promise!!

Alton Britt
    These are the prices I was given by Sussman in December:

Year Sonata Trim Full MSRP Internet Price
    2009 GLS 5 SPEED MT $19,145 $15,889
    2009 GLS 5 SPEED AT $20,345 $17,023
    2009 GLS - V6 5 SPEED AT $22,895 $19,433
    2009 SE 5 SPEED AT $22,495 $18,838
    2009 SE - V6 5 SPEED AT $24,495 $20,708
    2009 Limited 5 SPEED AT $24,995 $20,934
    2009 Limited-V6 5 SPEED AT $26,995 $22,784

I was quoted 15998 by Fred Beans on the 5 Speed MT. That was the only price they gave me because that's what I wanted. Please note that these are "internet" prices. The price I got from Beans was also an internet price and expired on 31 Dec. It's possible the ones from Sussman expired end of December as well. I did not step inside the dealership until after I reached a deal with Beans.

During this time, the internet prices reflected the $2000 customer cash, which meant you had to bring your own financing. There were NO owner loyalty rebates reflected in these prices. I know this because I asked. If I'd owned a Hyundai, they would have taken another $500 off...which was the loyalty rebate running in December.

I assume since you know the Doylestown area you know where Sussman is.

The rest of the discount that I got was from their Fred Beans AutoRewards program that accumulated from regular service visits for our Nissan vehicles. They doubled it in December which gave me just shy of another $1000 off, which was added to my downpayment. I only financed 10K, which I got through my company's credit union at 4.49%.

Good Luck. And check out Fitzmall before you buy from Beans. I only used them because the doubled AutoRewards discount was too much to pass up.
    Just looked at my paperwork again and it seems they also charged my $269 for the window etch (which I hold no value in), but was included in my $20k out the door total, so the actual car itslef was $269 cheaper putting me right around $7k off of MSRP including y 3500 in rebates.

Not too shabby and if someone steals my car in the next 3 eyars, I get 2500 back,lol.!
    Jackburton1,

Im just curious did you ever get a quote from Stateline Hyundai or Towne Hyundai in NJ.
    No Stateline, but yes on Towne as that is where I bought my 2003 Accent 6 years ago.

They were not close and told me their was no way I was getting the deal I did and that the dealer was lying to me.

Also tried Lynne's, Freehold, Brad Benson, Liberty, Global and a couple of others.

Interestingly enough, Wayne was the best and by far the closest (within 3 miles) of my house.
    I will shoot them an email, Im lookin for a limited V6. Best of luck with your new ride and enjoy.
  • DarthH8terDarthH8ter Member Posts: 4
    $12k, 21k miles from Wilkins Hyundai in Elmhurst, IL. Pricing was very, very simple, only had car, title, and taxes to pay. They gave me the exact amount CarMax was offering for my trade. Can't beat the 100k mile warranty as it was certified.

Plus it has the moonroof. I am wondering why this thing was so low priced, but that dealer seems to beat everyone else, including Gartner (who were also nice, btw). I am happy so far, handles fine in the snow. The only thing I dislike is the narrow wheelwell clearance. It makes it difficult to kick the snow, road ice from the whell well liners.
    That is a good price, especially since it appears to be a Hyundai Certified car, with the 100k warranty.
    Thank you and please let us know how you do.
    09 Sonata GLS Auto $16,405
    09 Sonata V6 GLS $18,573
    09 Sonata LTD $22,525

This is a quote I received from a dealership in my area (suburban Philly). It is internet pricing and reflects the $2000 cash back.
    I never intended to buy another Hyundai but with an additional $1500 loyalty incentive (I had an Elantra for 7 years and hubby has a Santa Fe), it does make the offer very attractive. I test drove an 08 and an 09 Sonata last week..... I didn't enjoy the ride as much as other cars I have been considering but the warranty and the standard features are considerably superior. Now I don't know what to do.....
    For $20k total out the door, I am very happy with my SE V6 (and glad I opted for the 6).

Some minor things I don't like, but nothing major (vague/disconnected steering, no integrated bluetooth).
    Other then that, I don't think you can beat it for the $$ and since I drive a LOT of miles each week, need something with the long warranty like the Hyundai.
    I am now the proud owner of a SE! I just wanted to let everyone know that I ended up having a great experience at Fred Beans in Doylestown, PA.... If you are in the Philly area, please give Kyle Hill a call and he will take care of you - he also takes care of interent sales for all the cars at the dealership, not just Hyundai.

Take care all and happy shopping!
    Marianne
  • ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Hello everyone. I'm buying a 2009 Sonata V6 Limited and am really excited about it. I'm selling my Honda CRV and am hoping to get $5000 for it. Now I want to use that to put a down payment on the Sonata. Is this a normal amount? I mean I have not bought a car in over 8 years. I don't know if I'm not putting enough down or if I'm putting too much? I would like to finance the car for 36 months (0% financing). Do they still have this deal? I looked online and it said to talk to your dealer. Any suggestions on where I should go, or what I should be paying would help. I'm in Long Island, NY by the way. Thanks.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    If you can get 0% financing at your negotiated price, put as little down as possible and put the rest of the proceeds from the civic into a CD. You'll come out money ahead.
    Their is no zero % financing.

Depending on your credit rating, expect to get between 4.5-7% interest rate.

V6 limited would probably put you around 24-25k out the door, so figure 25k after rebate (2k rebate only since you do not qualify for the 1500 loyalty I wouldn't think).

25-5=$20k you will be financing.

36mos @ 6% = roughly $608 per month for a 20k note.
    Only you know your finances well enough to know if you should put more than 5K down. You shouldn't buy ANY car that you cannot pay cash for. I chose to put 6.2K down and finance 10K at 4.49%. I expect to pay it off early. I could have paid cash but chose not to.
  • gccmngccmn Member Posts: 11
    I am interested in buying a 2009 Sonata Limited V6, MSRP of 27,425. I qualify for the $2000 and $1500 valued owner rebates. Would $23,000 Out the Door, be reasonable to ask the dealer for such a vehicle in California?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Sonata prices paid..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    See previous message...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    you should be able to get a lower price than that.
  • ljctxljctx Member Posts: 14
    That's too high. I got the same vehicle WITH NAV. MSRP was 28,535. I got it for 22,900 plus TX TTL.
    You are leaving about $1,000 on the table.
  • ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    (I'm posting this message HERE cause no one responded to me in the mazda forum yet. I did just post it last night though. But I really need help.)

Ok so I went to one of the mazda dealerships today I have been dealing with. I was looking for a 2009 Grand Touring HB in Metro Grey and they had one there. The guy showed me that invoice on the car was $22,740 which he was willing to sell it to me for. Options include: carpet floor mats, compass auto mirror, rear bumper guard, moonroof/bose package, and some other small things. He was willing to give me $5500 for my 2001 Honda CRV (trade in) and I would have to finance $17,240. Now the deal is 0% financing for 3 years which (after tax) came to $508 a month for 3 years. Is this a good deal or am I being robbed here? Any input would help. Thanks.
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    seems like a great price to me. list on that is like 28240 so you are getting almost 6K off. if you can afford the 508.00 go for it.
  • girlethinggirlething Member Posts: 14
    Yes I did get that deal!!

The car is wonderful and my baby is sitting in the front drive .
    Ofh yeah it also has pin stripping too.

I am so glad that I did the email and confirm price before stepping foot in the dealer door.
    :shades:
  • ducexcrewducexcrew Member Posts: 4
    19900 Invoice (w/o pop equip, I think it's an extra 500 invoice or something)
    -2000 MFG Rebate
    -1000 Dealership Discount (i.e. negotiating)
    -500 Tradein
    *16400* Subtotal
    Total out the door (i.e. NY tax and plates) was about 18K

Purchased from a guy named Sam at Atlantic Hyundai in Suffolk, NY. He was great -- I walked right up to him and told him "I'm looking to buy a car within the hour -- you going to help me?" I told him exactly what I wanted, and said 17500 out the door, and he said "Well then let's sit." He didn't have the color I wanted (Dark Cherry Red) without the pop equipment, so I got that package (so I could get my color) for 300 or so extra.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the deal.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Don't you mean MSRP (not invoice), before any options, was $19,900
    Edmunds.com has the MSRP w/o destination charge (not a very useful number, IMO) of $19,900 for the 5AT with no options. With destination it's $20,595. But the invoice on that car is pretty close, at $19,751 according to Edmunds. And the dealer's "invoice" might have been different than what Edmunds shows. Sometimes there are added charges on the dealer's invoice, e.g. "advertising fee".
  • ducexcrewducexcrew Member Posts: 4
    Interesting -- it does say MSRP w/o options was 19900 -- for some reason I thought KBB or edunds told me invoice was 19900 (They now say 19751 and 19056 respectively). In any event, MSRP w/ pop equipment was 20550.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Chicago area dealers are advertising the same $1500 loyalty rebate/discount to current Hyundai owners. Don't know the details.
  • gpb59gpb59 Member Posts: 106
    My past experience in Vegas is they try to get more out of you because there's less competition, althougn I think there's 5 Hyundai dealers. A few years ago, I had to drive to anaheim, ca to lease an Acura TL because the lone dealer here wouldn't match the price and even said I wouldn't get the price once i got there, although i did.
    And I've seen the $1500 loyalty rebate in some newspaper ads in the Twin Cities recently too.

I was at the dealer getting some maintenance done on my Elantra today and a sales rep poked his head into the waiting room and said, "If anyone has a Sonata or Santa Fe and wants to trade for a new one, we could really use your trade and we have $3500 in discounts on the Sonata and $5000 on the Santa Fe." I don't know if he meant $3500 in total discounts, or in rebates, but I had not seen that sales approach before.
  • gccmngccmn Member Posts: 11
    What are the new rebates for Sonata for the month of February?
    Check hyundaiusa.com in a day or two. The old rebates just expired today and it usually takes them 1-2 days to post the new rebates.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to talk with consumer who bought a Hyundai in January and was "assured" by the Hyundai Assurance program. Please send your email address and phone number to jfallon@edmunds.com today, February 4, 2008, if you fit the bill.
  • dvddan1dvddan1 Member Posts: 1
    I saw a Ron Marhofer Ad in the Saturday paper in Akron,Ohio

Saturday and Monday sale
    2009 Sonata with 4 cyl and 5 speed manual transmission
    Price with Customer loyalty was $12,488 (We already had a Hyundai)

I called and they told me I would have a choice of several colors.
    I told him I would be in and he had the car ready to test drive.
    After the test drive and looking at what I got for the price I bought the car.
    Overall a great experience. I can not believe I could have had a better experience or got a better deal.

Am I wrong in thinking this was a great Deal?
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    You got a good deal in the respect that Hyundai dealers are usually more successful at moving stock for much more. Most would get almost $15000 for that car.

If you look up your vehicle in its 08 model used with avg miles on kbb.com, you will see it has a trade in value of about $10000. This is what your 09 car will be worth in 12 months. You got a very good deal in that you paid about what it is worth, if not a little better.

Good luck
    --jjf

I saw a Ron Marhofer Ad in the Saturday paper in Akron,Ohio

Saturday and Monday sale
    2009 Sonata with 4 cyl and 5 speed manual transmission
    Price with Customer loyalty was $12,488 (We already had a Hyundai)

I called and they told me I would have a choice of several colors.
    I told him I would be in and he had the car ready to test drive.
    After the test drive and looking at what I got for the price I bought the car.
    Overall a great experience. I can not believe I could have had a better experience or got a better deal.

Am I wrong in thinking this was a great Deal?
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    I wonder if they will give me $13000 for my 2009 with 6,000 miles?
    Just purchased a 2009 Sonata V6 Limited from Stateline Hyundai, NJ

MSRP incl. dest $27,020
    Invoice incl. dest $25,525

Purchase price was $21,229 plus Tax and Registration

Entire negotiation was over the internet and phone. The salesman who was very good picked me up at my house and drove me to dealership for delivery. He threw in a cargo mat, cargo net and touch up paint. Delivery of the vehicle took 30 minutes inside the dealership. I highly recommend Stateline Hyundai in NJ.
  • ClickClackClickClack Member Posts: 3
    I think I know the answer but is $21,999 for a fully stocked limited w/Nav + $218 T/L a good price? Fitzmall has them listed at $23,529. This seems too good to be true?
  • sunsonshaan07sunsonshaan07 Member Posts: 36
    You should be able to get him lower than this. FWIW, my brother-in-law closed a deal here in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area for this same car similarly loaded as to what you are stating here for $21800 +TTL. So in effect, your deal could come out to around the $21,500 - $21700 neighborhood. If you'd like, reply back with your e-mail address and I can send you the Sales Manager's Details at the Dealership I bought from. By the way, I got an '07 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6. I got a Garmin Nav in the Package and still came out with TT&L below $22000. But that was then. The In-dash Navs are better and more expensive ofcourse.

Good luck! :shades:
  • sunsonshaan07sunsonshaan07 Member Posts: 36
    One more thing, give it a couple of weeks and maybe some more incentives could be out on the horizon to save you more money. Things like Dealer Holdback, Hyundai Ownership Loyalty, etc. With your deal and a combination of any of these involved (if not already added) should drive you lower to like maybe the mid $20k as opposed to the mid to upper $21k.
  • drbill36drbill36 Member Posts: 3
    Hello All,

I appreciate all of the good information in this thread! I am planning on buying a 2009 Sonata Limited in February, but am still undecided with regard to I4 or V6. My question has to do with the best time to purchase this automobile. I have read in other forums and numerous other places that the end of the month is the best time to buy because of dealer quotas. I plan to do this by email to avoid showroom pressure. Should I wait until around February 20 to begin my campaign? I am from Raleigh NC if that helps. Also any feel for advantage of I4 over V6 or vice versa.

Thanks
    WMW
  • awriterawriter Member Posts: 4
    ClickClack wrote: I think I know the answer but is $21,999 for a fully stocked limited w/Nav + $218 T/L a good price?
    ===========
    Not so much. I paid $19,989 for a Limited/Nav with every available option about six weeks ago.
  • ClickClackClickClack Member Posts: 3
    Wow!! If you do not mind me asking, where did you get that deal? Was it a V6? What was the salesman's name and can I give him/her your name? Thanks!
    Here's another factor, which is location-dependent. Spring is the time for most local auto shows. Many of these shows have special coupon savings on some models. Hyundai offers these coupons pretty often, e.g. last year they offered a $500 auto show coupon in some markets on the 2008 Sonata. So while it's no sure thing such an offer will be made this spring on the 2009 Sonata, there is history to suggest it's a good bet.